What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 5 Worst Trade Partners (1 Viewer)

One thing is clear, we all have our different ways of going about trading.. This is why I keep a spreadsheet of all league-mates with notes on their favorite team, players & also what type of trader they are. It's been a nice resource since I've started doing it that past few years.
Now that's a great idea! Some may find it a bit extreme but if you take things serious then this is a great strategy.

I would like to add,

The Nothing - Never responds or offers. Any offer sent to him just sits in the abyss until the timer expires. No emails, comments or communication in general.

Obviously they are the worst trade partner but the are also the worst league member possible. I will take all the bad trade partners in a league over being in a league with these people.
How about the guy who only trades with one other guy and never responds to other offers and then disappears for 30 days without signing into the league, then signs in and trades again with the one guy and disappears again for 60 days.
That sounds like borderline conclusion. Might need a different thread for that but he sounds like he could get a The Nothing title for that.
I'd say it's a definite conclusion!

I don't like haggling over players like a used car dealer, so I hate the 'Lowball offer to get things started' guy and the 'What do you want for Player X?' guy.
"What do you want for Player X" always leaves me nonplused. I usually respond, "I have no idea" - which is true in that if I knew what I wanted in return from them for Player X, I would have already made an offer to them.
I ask that all the time but I'm not asking what specific player(s) they want. Say I get a notification that a manager has placed Player A on the Trade Block. I will send him a message just like that, asking "what do you want for Player A?" and they will reply with "I'd like to get a WR2 back" or if it's during/before the draft they may say "I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him." Or perhaps they are looking for a LB3. I don't think you can say that you already would have made an offer if you knew, you're likely not going to go look around at everyone's team trying to come up with something to offer. That's the point of putting on trade block, and when I place guys on trade block, I always have a general idea of what I want in return. So, when I receive the question "what do you want for Player A?" I don't take offense at all, I always have an idea of what I want to receive in return. Occasionally, I'll trade a guy without needing anything in return, and for those times I'd just say "nothing specific but of similar value" but that's usually when I'm just dying to get someone off my roster. So, maybe I'm in the minority but I don't take that question as "what player do you want for him?" Moreso it's just asking what you are looking for in return. Normally an answer to that question gives you a foundation to start a trade.
I wasn't talking about players I listed on the trade block. I was talking about an out of the blue email, "What do you want for Player X" Since I hadn't given it any thought before the email, I don't know how to respond as usually I hadn't considered moving the player at all before the inquiry.

The better move if you want a player an owner hadn't considered trading, is to, you know, actually make an offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey buddy" I'm interested in Player X, make me an offer." Say what? You want my guy and you want me to make you an offer?

So, 1st time, what the heck, I'll make him an offer. IMMEDIATELY REJECTED with a note that says, no thanks, I like my guy better and no counter.

One thing is clear, we all have our different ways of going about trading.. This is why I keep a spreadsheet of all league-mates with notes on their favorite team, players & also what type of trader they are. It's been a nice resource since I've started doing it that past few years.
Now that's a great idea! Some may find it a bit extreme but if you take things serious then this is a great strategy.
I'm just in so many leagues, with a big cross section of owners. Some of which I know good enough, some I forget. The one thing I try to avoid is offering a particular owner what he sees as a bad offer twice. Meaning if I know that he is high on player x or low on player y, then I will try to avoid those players in future offers.

I also have a column for players they do not like. It can take a bit of work to maintenance, but when i have some downtime its just another thing to geek out on fantasy every once in awhile.

I don't like haggling over players like a used car dealer, so I hate the 'Lowball offer to get things started' guy and the 'What do you want for Player X?' guy.
For me, a big part of the fun is haggling.. As long there respect for owner's own knowledge/opinions on players I think its great to 'talk shop' while working out potential trades. I try to never send a trade that I don't feel is at least a little in my favor, but probably have sent my fair share of lowballs. I think there is a fine balance between lowballing & starting off negotiations right.
I've been playing this game a long time and I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a one or two offer / accept deal. I don't always succeed at this, but it is common for me to offer my best offer right out of the gate. A lot of the guys I play with know me this way and it truly does make for a more enjoyable trading experience. I don't like to feel worn out after a trade.

I'm just in so many leagues, with a big cross section of owners. Some of which I know good enough, some I forget. The one thing I try to avoid is offering a particular owner what he sees as a bad offer twice. Meaning if I know that he is high on player x or low on player y, then I will try to avoid those players in future offers.

I also have a column for players they do not like. It can take a bit of work to maintenance, but when i have some downtime its just another thing to geek out on fantasy every once in awhile.
I try to remember to look in the transaction history on a team to see what I've offered them in the last 90 days (have failed at this sometimes). That way I'm not always sending them the same offers, or something too close to it, when they aren't interested. This goes a long way in not annoying owners.

For me, a big part of the fun is haggling.. As long there respect for owner's own knowledge/opinions on players I think its great to 'talk shop' while working out potential trades. I try to never send a trade that I don't feel is at least a little in my favor, but probably have sent my fair share of lowballs. I think there is a fine balance between lowballing & starting off negotiations right.
I've been playing this game a long time and I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a one or two offer / accept deal. I don't always succeed at this, but it is common for me to offer my best offer right out of the gate. A lot of the guys I play with know me this way and it truly does make for a more enjoyable trading experience. I don't like to feel worn out after a trade.
I can respect that and with certain owners I learn to make my best offer up front if I really want to make a deal.

I try to remember to look in the transaction history on a team to see what I've offered them in the last 90 days (have failed at this sometimes). That way I'm not always sending them the same offers, or something too close to it, when they aren't interested. This goes a long way in not annoying owners.
I do this as well, and was actually what got me to thinking about keeping a concise spreadsheet of owners. Maybe one day I'll find a way to incorporate all past offers, that would probably be too much work though.

Checking transaction history is a definitely a great piece of advice.

1. The Junk Peddler - He's the guy who thinks 5 pennies equals a quarter. He thinks offering Robert Woods, Rueben Randle, and Marvin Jones FOR Dez Bryant is a good offer. When you reject, he throws in a 7th rounder to sweeten the deal.

I like having these guys in my leagues, because most of the time they think they are smarter than everyone else. So for everyone 10 junk offers they send out they end up sending out one offer that they think are being sneaky about, but they just over thought it and you win.

I'm guilty of 1, and 6.

1. The Junk Peddler - He's the guy who thinks 5 pennies equals a quarter. He thinks offering Robert Woods, Rueben Randle, and Marvin Jones FOR Dez Bryant is a good offer. When you reject, he throws in a 7th rounder to sweeten the deal.

6. YouShouldTradeHimBecauseGuy - The guy who wants a player from you, but tells you all his faults and reasons why said player isn't any good and you should trade him.

I never send an offer and cancel it, and I am quick to respond to any offer sent to me,.

Subset of The Spammer: the guy who sends out a new barrage of offers looking to cash in on the WR5/RB4/TE3 that recently had a decent headline in the news.

I'm definitely guilty of not responding to trade offers quickly or sometimes at all, but I feel like most of those guy are sending me offers every week for junk I just don't care about. I do note who they are for when I actually want to trade, though. Can usually get something good out of them.

"What do you want for Player X" always leaves me nonplused. I usually respond, "I have no idea" - which is true in that if I knew what I wanted in return from them for Player X, I would have already made an offer to them.
I ask that all the time but I'm not asking what specific player(s) they want. Say I get a notification that a manager has placed Player A on the Trade Block. I will send him a message just like that, asking "what do you want for Player A?" and they will reply with "I'd like to get a WR2 back" or if it's during/before the draft they may say "I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him." Or perhaps they are looking for a LB3. I don't think you can say that you already would have made an offer if you knew, you're likely not going to go look around at everyone's team trying to come up with something to offer. That's the point of putting on trade block, and when I place guys on trade block, I always have a general idea of what I want in return. So, when I receive the question "what do you want for Player A?" I don't take offense at all, I always have an idea of what I want to receive in return. Occasionally, I'll trade a guy without needing anything in return, and for those times I'd just say "nothing specific but of similar value" but that's usually when I'm just dying to get someone off my roster. So, maybe I'm in the minority but I don't take that question as "what player do you want for him?" Moreso it's just asking what you are looking for in return. Normally an answer to that question gives you a foundation to start a trade.
I wasn't talking about players I listed on the trade block. I was talking about an out of the blue email, "What do you want for Player X" Since I hadn't given it any thought before the email, I don't know how to respond as usually I hadn't considered moving the player at all before the inquiry.

The better move if you want a player an owner hadn't considered trading, is to, you know, actually make an offer.
Yeah I see your point but I would always come up with a general direction to point them. I have Randall Cobb whom I don't want to trade but if someone asks me "what do you want for Randall Cobb?" I'd tell them I'd at least need a WR1 back in return. Or if I'm very deep at WR, however lack firepower at RB, maybe I'd be interested in a RB1 for him and would point them that direction. I think asking "what would you want for player X?" refers to what positions would you want. I'd hate to work up an offer that I feel is fair only for them to say "well, I feel content with my RB's so I'm not interested in that guy." Better to know beforehand what positions the other manager is looking to improve or what positions he would need to fill if he traded Player X.

"Hey buddy" I'm interested in Player X, make me an offer." Say what? You want my guy and you want me to make you an offer?

So, 1st time, what the heck, I'll make him an offer. IMMEDIATELY REJECTED with a note that says, no thanks, I like my guy better and no counter.
Hahaha this is a good one. I absolutely hate this. Couple years I ago when Crabtree had more value, I specifically remember an owner messaging me "I'm interested in Crabtree, shoot me something."

I remembered an article from Yahoo! Sports from a while back that I thought was interesting. Just went and found the article and it was from July 22, 2010, and it listed the 5 worst owners to trade with, and I'm certain that my leagues feature all 5 of them.

Here's a link to the article but I'm going to switch around the explanations a bit to fit football instead of baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/fantasy-rant-five-worst-owners-youre-looking-trade.html

2. The Essayist - He's the guy who gives you a six page paper as to why you should trade Charles Clay for Chris Ivory, ironing out how the trade makes sense for both teams and that their values are similar.

3. The Ricciardi - He's the guy who can never get himself to pull the trigger on ANY deal. Doesn't matter how long you've discussed it and how many offers have been made, the trade sits on the table for days and either finally gets rejected or it expires.

4. The Canceller - He's the guy who offers you a trade, but before you can pull it up, revokes it. He either sends it and then has second doubts immediately, or he purposely sends it and revokes it with hopes that you see it and comment on whether or not you are interested.

5. The Guy Who Ignores Your Needs - He's the guy who offers you Colin Kaepernick, even though you already have Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, and Eli Manning, then wonders why in the world you aren't interested in Kaepernick.

Personally, 1 through 4 hit pretty accurately in my league. Just curious as to how common these people are in other leagues, or if my league is a minority.
As the most active trader in my league, I use all of these techniques at some point except number 3. I rarely back down from a deal. I usually consider who I am dealing with and act accordingly.

ETA- I would also propose to add "the over reactor" to the list. The guy who is shocked and appalled by your reasonable offer, or the fact that you don't want his horrible offer. Always seems to value his pieces more, yet wants to get rid of them.
Man ain't that the truth! I have a guy that wants the world for every player. Truth be told, every player on his roster is 10 spots ahead of consensus to him. I get it that we all value our own players highly which is why we have them rostered, but sometimes these owners can be ridiculous. A guy laughed at me for offering Jordan Mathews for a first (2016 1.6 to 1.10). I explained that I had him valued after Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, and White in relation to 2015 picks, and he replied in disgust that he could not see how I am so crazy to value Mathews there. They become indignant as if everyone in the world should read their minds as to how valuable players are. These people rarely do trades with anyone because of this behavior.

I would like to add,

The Nothing - Never responds or offers. Any offer sent to him just sits in the abyss until the timer expires. No emails, comments or communication in general.

Obviously they are the worst trade partner but the are also the worst league member possible. I will take all the bad trade partners in a league over being in a league with these people.
How about the guy who only trades with one other guy and never responds to other offers and then disappears for 30 days without signing into the league, then signs in and trades again with the one guy and disappears again for 60 days.
That sounds like borderline conclusion. Might need a different thread for that but he sounds like he could get a The Nothing title for that.
I'd say it's a definite conclusion!
Yep, end of story.

I would like to add,

I seriously hate this guy more than anyone. In one of my leagues I have 3 of these guys. They have been part of this dynasty league for going on 5 years and combined they have made 6 trades in 5 years and 3 of the trades were during the start up draft. I still send them offers, and about every 5 offers I might get an email that says I am rebuilding. The one owner has told me he is rebuilding every year for the last 3 years and just let Reggie Wayne basically retire on his roster. He still has Steve Smith on his roster.

I would like to add,

I seriously hate this guy more than anyone. In one of my leagues I have 3 of these guys. They have been part of this dynasty league for going on 5 years and combined they have made 6 trades in 5 years and 3 of the trades were during the start up draft. I still send them offers, and about every 5 offers I might get an email that says I am rebuilding. The one owner has told me he is rebuilding every year for the last 3 years and just let Reggie Wayne basically retire on his roster. He still has Steve Smith on his roster.
These people don't realize they should only be playing in redraft leagues. They not only ruin their own team, but ruin the league as well. Yes, I hate them too.

I love it when it's followed up with 'you should take this trade because I am giving you 200 points worth of players for only 100 points worth of player.

I get a lot of #1.
#2 cost extra?Worst type is the owner that overreacts to every completed trade his league mates make. Usually this is because his slightly worse offer wasn't confirmed, the team they're directly competing with just acquired the best player in a deal, or they're just a whiny #####.

Holy #### does one of my leagues have the essayist. He's good for 1 or 2 trade offers every month. Generally he likes trades that involve swapping half of our teams and he always takes on the best young talent while ridding his team of older scrubs. Part of his sales pitch is "It helps you in that Carlos Hyde is only averaging 4.2 fantasy points per week, while Brandon Lafell averages 11.2"

Holy #### does one of my leagues have the essayist. He's good for 1 or 2 trade offers every month. Generally he likes trades that involve swapping half of our teams and he always takes on the best young talent while ridding his team of older scrubs. Part of his sales pitch is "It helps you in that Carlos Hyde is only averaging 4.2 fantasy points per week, while Brandon Lafell averages 11.2"
The man has got a point..

Chapelboy said:
THE TRADE JUNKIE how about all the owners that think trading at all cost, any cost, is the name of the game and can't wait to make the next trade regardless of roster composition, strategy, etc. to obtain the "trade high"and also think an 'active' league is defined by # of trades consummated. Then belittle owners who don't make three trades a week to satisfy their addiction....these guys kill me.
guilty as charged. i view trade count as more important than winning the league. completely irrational, but can't help it.

I'm a recovering trade addict though, have been more in control of my addiction in the past year or so.

The Slimeball-

This person immediately sends out a good (but not too good) trade offer to you BUT he's dealing a player just been announced (within minutes or hours) to have a serious injury or suspension.

The Framer - if owns Adrian Peterson, he's the greatest RB of all time, and he's got 2 years of RB#1 production left in him; if he doesn't own AP, he's a 30 year-old Running back who is about to fall off a cliff.

Rinse/Repeat the same bifurcated analysis for every.single.player.

EVERYONE has a tendency to overvalue their own players. If you weren't higher than consensus on the player to being with, there's a good chance you'd never have owned that player to begin with!

Guys who like to send low-ball starting offers out there tend to forget this, and what they think is an offer tilted somewhat their way often will come across as a bad offer. I prefer dealing with owners who try to send offers at least in the ballp[ark of consensus rankings. After all, if you're trying to trade FOR a player, I would assume that at the very least you consider them valued at (but more likely above) consensus.

I'm in a few leagues with JohnnyU and he's correct on this. I've accepted more than one of his initial offers thinking it was fair off the bat. I appreciate the fact that not only are most of his offers reasonable, but they usually will make roster sense. IE: He's not trying to peddle a RB for a WR to a team fat in RBs and thin at WR, or a QB to a team with 3 NFL starters including a top 10 option.

Haggling in fantasy is over-rated: it isn't a car with a cash price that can come in literally anywhere. The potential price points are limited by the assets owned.

I don't think people understand the art of trading, and I think sending lowballs, whether you want to disguise it as "getting negotiations started" or any other silly reason, is a scummy thing to do. Makes me much less apt to trade with a guy like that. I make my own evaluations of players and compare that to adp lists and rankings trying to get a gauge on general consensus. Then I try to expose those differences. It's not ripping anyone off, it's just the basic idea of a trade - you value someone differently than the other guy.

I sometimes have to add to the offer to get it done and based on how high I am on the player I may do that, but a lot of times I get offers accepted without even a counter - and I take a lot of pride in that. Very rarely do I offend anyone with an offer. I win some, I lose some and sometimes I break even but I find trading to be much more interesting and pleasurable this way.

When I go about trying to make a trade I look at what I have a lot of strength at and look at every team's roster seeing if my strength is their need. Last year I had a lot of good WRs but needed a decent RB. I searched for the WR weak teams and made some offers. This was still really hard to do because even low end RBs were highly valued since that position was so thin.

Do we have a name for the guy who makes a trade offer and then when he gets the other team interested, his bait (one of his good players) slide totally out of the trade in negotiations and is replaced by some trade that looks nothing like the original offer?

The MasterBaiter ???

The Houdini - During text conversations about a trade, tries to butter you up, talking about family, work, other sports, then mixes in some trade talk in hopes that you just agree because you buttered them up.

I have encountered a new type recently - The Mitch Williams

Can throw 98 offers per hour and not hit the strike zone once.

Mister CIA said:
The Framer - if owns Adrian Peterson, he's the greatest RB of all time, and he's got 2 years of RB#1 production left in him; if he doesn't own AP, he's a 30 year-old Running back who is about to fall off a cliff.

Rinse/Repeat the same bifurcated analysis for every.single.player.
This is 100% me. Now, I wouldn't do that if I was trying to get Peterson (I don't denigrate the players I'm trying to get, that would be stupid as mentioned in this thread often), but more if I was trying to trade an RB2 or 3 to the Peterson owner to help him see that he will need him in a year or two.

My classic framed trade is near the deadline, with any owner that is not making the playoffs (salary cap dynasty). The trade is always good for both teams, but then on top of it I'll get them to take a bunch of underperforming/non-starting guys on my team with expiring contracts so they can have the cap hit on space they weren't going to use anyway and I can grab a bunch of lottery ticket waiver guys or trade for a higher priced player that will start for me. I usually have to frame it so they see that it really does work for them.

I'm a high volume dynasty trader, and will say that 1) I start very close to my best offer (or at least what I think is my best offer sometimes I can be talked into more). For example, I might offer rookie 3.12 when I'd be willing to give up 3.04, but I would never offer up RB4 when I'm willing to go RB1. The whole point of making an offer is that you've done the work to research a deal because you actually want to get it done, lowballing just seems like it will work so infrequently to leave that club in my bag.

Also, I want the players I trade to go on and play great because I want that owner dealing with me again and feeling like I am a trade partner.

Good example from just last night of how making good offers keeps you in the game. We are in the Restricted Free Agent period of my dynasty league and I have a player out there that I likely can't keep due to the cap concerns. Once the bidding ends, I can only trade him to the winning bidder (or match) until after Week 1, but until the bidding ends, I can trade his rights to anyone I want. His auction was due to end last night at about midnight (unless he got more bids, in which case he'd extend to today), and I had two owners I was talking to all day via emails about his rights.

• Owner 1 offered a 3rd and 4th round rookie pick in 2016. I countered with 2nd and 4th. He countered with me giving 3.09 this year and the player's rights for his 2nd and 4th next year.
  • Owner 2 offered me a bunch of different options, all of which were pretty good, with the best by far being 3.04 straight up for the player.
After much consideration I decided I liked Owner 1's offer slightly better (with the 2nd being the difference maker). However, because Owner 2 had put in so much work, I decided he was game for a counter offer. I offered both owners the following: their 2016 2nd and 4th for my 3.12 and the player's rights, although if they had both said no, I would have taken owner 1's offer given there really isn't much difference there.

tl;dr making good offers gets you counter offers and can get you what you want.

What about shotgun offers?

Sometimes if I want to get rid of a guy I will offer him to half the league in exchange for a third-round draft pick - whoever clicks "accept" first. Leaguemates don't know it's a shotgun offer - I just gamble and remain content with any third rounder I get. It's usually done at the beginning of the season when dudes aren't high on drafting and draft order is still months away from being set.

Idk, A few years ago I heard this strategy was frowned upon.

I'll add a category to the list in the OP: The trade partner who offers you a bundle of dudes and then when you don't accept the trade he drops one or more of said players to the waiver wire.

If he is waiver wire material, why are you trying to sell him to me in a bundle? If you offer me a player as part of a package deal, only to subsequently drop him from your roster two days later, you look like an idiot.

What about shotgun offers?

Sometimes if I want to get rid of a guy I will offer him to half the league in exchange for a third-round draft pick - whoever clicks "accept" first. Leaguemates don't know it's a shotgun offer - I just gamble and remain content with any third rounder I get. It's usually done at the beginning of the season when dudes aren't high on drafting and draft order is still months away from being set.

Idk, A few years ago I heard this strategy was frowned upon.
Just be upfront about it.

I'll post it in the trade bait and then make the offers.

I'll add a category to the list in the OP: The trade partner who offers you a bundle of dudes and then when you don't accept the trade he drops one or more of said players to the waiver wire.

If he is waiver wire material, why are you trying to sell him to me in a bundle? If you offer me a player as part of a package deal, only to subsequently drop him from your roster two days later, you look like an idiot.
Interesting, I always assumed it was obvious that he's trying to get some value for a player before dropping him. In leagues where waiver picks are limited and can be traded, there's value in acquiring a player you like before that player hits the waiver wire.

Besides, real teams do this.

Interesting, I always assumed it was obvious that he's trying to get some value for a player before dropping him. In leagues where waiver picks are limited and can be traded, there's value in acquiring a player you like before that player hits the waiver wire.

Depends on the player I guess.

If it's a player with a glimmer of upside it makes sense. If it's some bum nobody heard of and just got injured in practice, then it's dumb.

Depends on the player I guess.

If it's a player with a glimmer of upside it makes sense. If it's some bum nobody heard of and just got injured in practice, then it's dumb.
The other side to this one is the guy that scoffs at an offer for a guy and then immediately picks him up. Example... last season I offered the Murray owner Joseph Randle and wanted a super late (5th or 6th round rookie pick). He responded that he should be on waivers and no one in their right mind would waste a roster spot. I understand posturing, but I dropped him and he picked him up immediately on waivers. Sure, he got him for free as opposed to paying a super late rookie pick, but I'll never trust another word of his going forward.

If the guy has some value but doesn't fit your team then you have to try and trade him. You'd be stupid not too. Like said before, this is exactly what happens in the NFL.

Now, if the player is pure crap then just cut him loose.

I'll admit to doing this. A lot of times you just throw something out there to try and get value for the player, see if there's any interest.

I've seen it all too often that I'll drop a player and someone else will pick him up right away. Even getting a 3rd or 4th round rookie pick is better than nothing.

Maybe it's a player you would rather trade for than have to be higher on the waiver wire priority to get?

The guy that never makes an offer just tells you who he wants.
I like to start like this. I'll make an trade offer and put no one in return, just to start the conversation. I'll usually list some wants in the comment section.

It does two things: 1) alert the other owner that I'm looking to make a deal, and 2) often prompts an offer from the other side to me which was better than I was hoping for in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread