What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

Serioulsy, Card, one, OTIS...just stop.

What more does it take for you all to just freaking stop.

There is info in here people actually want to see.

Serioulsy, Card, one, OTIS...just stop.What more does it take for you all to just freaking stop.There is info in here people actually want to see.
I actually asked a serious question, I'd like One's opinion of the screen, that's all. Like I said, I won't have a hands on until Monday for our office ones.

Serioulsy, Card, one, OTIS...just stop.What more does it take for you all to just freaking stop.There is info in here people actually want to see.
I actually asked a serious question, I'd like One's opinion of the screen, that's all. Like I said, I won't have a hands on until Monday for our office ones.
Screen is gorgeous & pristine. Signal at 5 bars. I'm loading it up with music, pics & movies atm.

Screen is gorgeous & pristine. Signal at 5 bars. I'm loading it up with music, pics & movies atm.

Screen is gorgeous & pristine. Signal at 5 bars.Loading it up with movies, music & pics atm.

Screen is gorgeous & pristine. Signal at 5 bars.Loading it up with movies, music & pics atm.
Come again?

Here's how to check if you have the antenna issue and how badly it affects you, if it affects you at all.

First of all, reception indicators (bars) are helpful but they aren't definitive. You can have 1 bar and have perfect reception or have full bars and drop calls. It can vary among phones within the same carrier.

Voice: If you have strong ATT coverage in your area, drop in reception might not affect you at all. Your antenna could very well be gimped every time you hold the phone (touching both sides of the metal band) and you might not notice any drop in reception quality or calls. It's when your coverage is spotty to begin with that you may notice a drop in reception quality or drop your call altogether.

Data: This is easy to test.

Get the free speedtest.net app from the App Store.

Disable your wifi.

Do a speed test with your phone on your desk or table.

Now hold your phone the way you normally would out and about. Run the speed test again. If speeds are the same, you're golden. If you notice a significant drop in speed, yeah, it's the antenna.

Everything I've read says the antenna problem is for 3G only. I'm curious if this affects wifi speeds or connectivity? Or maybe you'd be too close anyways to notice any drop in signal strength for wifi.

I've been reading up on the 2 main issues that have come up so far.

Yellow spots: Apparently this could be due to the bonding agent (glue) used to secure the screen to the phone. It may not have completely dried yet. Give it a couple days and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, Apple will (should?) exchange it.
Link for more info:
iPhone 4 Screen Blotching Resolves Itself as Bonding Agent Dries?

Thursday June 24, 2010 11:30 AM EST; Category: iPhone

Written by Eric Slivka

Yesterday, we reported that a number of iPhone 4 users have noticed yellowish or brownish splotches on their device's screens, obviously causing a fair amount of concern for some of those users.

According to a forum post at AppleInsider, however, the issue should resolve itself over the next several days, as it is claimed to be caused by a bonding agent in the screen that has not yet fully dried following the manufacturing process.

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

The veracity of the poster's claim has not been verified, but it does offer some hope to those affected by the issue. Adding to those hopes are reports from users that their blotches are in fact fading with time and usage, indicating that affected users should probably take a wait-and-see attitude for a few days rather than rushing out to their local Apple Stores in hopes of exchanging for new units.

I had major yellow spots on the bottom corners of the iPhone 4 this morning when I received it (as shown in the other thread) and as of right now they have COMPLETELY faded away. I have no idea what caused this but it happened. So keep an eye on it over the next day or so if you have the issue. . . It just seemed like the more I used the phone today the more it faded. It's really odd but I'll take it.

Can anyone tell me why my iPhone always drops its Wi-Fi connection? I'll be sitting at home browsing, try to load a page and get nothing. Go into the settings, turn off wi-fi, turn it back on and everything is fine for a random amount of time. It is not my home wireless causing the problem.
:tfp:

Can anyone tell me why my iPhone always drops its Wi-Fi connection? I'll be sitting at home browsing, try to load a page and get nothing. Go into the settings, turn off wi-fi, turn it back on and everything is fine for a random amount of time. It is not my home wireless causing the problem.
:shrug:
We have that same glitch in iPad. I'm not sure why. It's something they are supposedly working on. I wonder if you can correct this the same way you can supposedly correct the iPad glitch (by just enabling the 802.11n and not the a/b/g bands on your router? Something like that).They're different OSs but I wonder if whatever issue was in the iPad OS was carried over in some driver or something to OS4.

This is definitely a hardware issue.
:shrug:Oh yeah? Definitely huh? Thanks for the insider info. :lmao:
Who knew we had some many RF engineers on this board!
Not sure if you guys are attacking me, even tho I'm trying to be helpful.I'm definitely not an RF engineer but common sense tells me this isn't software. Or am I missing something here?
Well other than directly contradicting what apple has stated, and completely disparaging the apple engineers who designed and tested the phone, no, you're not missing anything.

Picked up my fiance's reserved iphone at lunch. Was greeted at the door by Apple employee. He got one out of the back and fired it up and updated it. Outta there is 20 mins total. Whew.

I was fearing the worst.

There was a line of people waiting for reservations to be canceled, but the istore dude said that can't sell canceled reserves until tomorrow morning and they were wasting their time.

Well other than directly contradicting what apple has stated, and completely disparaging the apple engineers who designed and tested the phone, no, you're not missing anything.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20008731-233.html
Reports are surfacing that some iPhone 4 users are unwittingly strangling reception via the metal antennas surrounding the phone's body.

Some iPhone 4 owners in the U.S. are noticing that touching the seams--particularly when holding the iPhone 4 in their bare left hands--interrupts reception, slowly causing the phone to lose its signal.

We're looking into the issue, setting a number of people with a number of gripping positions loose on a number of iPhones to see if our skin's conductivity throws AT&T's five-bar, 3G reception off its groove. We were able to consistently reproduce the issue on one iPhone 4, which lost one or two bars of reception when our hands or fingers covered the left joint.

It took about a minute for the first bar to drop, and about five seconds to regain each bar of lost signal. At one point, our susceptible iPhone 4 lost all five bars of reception and went into searching mode. We had to work much harder to suffocate the signal on the second iPhone 4.

In both cases, some of us had an easier time strangling the signal than others. The problem of signal loss on the left antenna appears to ride on a combination of factors--overall signal strength, the individual handset, and who's holding the phone.

Using an accessory, like the $29 rubber bumper Apple sells to protect the iPhone, would also break your skin's conductivity and eliminate the problem. Apple has been pushing its bumper--essentially a $30 rubber band--pretty hard, which makes us wonder if the company's marketing strategy is a cover-up for a known reception issue.

Apple did not immediately respond to our questions.

While we continue diving into the matter, we'd like to hear from you. If anyone out there has an iPhone 4, does covering the black bands on the bottom of the phone's sides slowly cut off the signal after a few minutes?
Doesn't seem too far fetched that it's hardware based AND Apple knew about it.

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11149http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11150

Just a quick update to the video posted early today.

We went through many hoops and we're getting a new phone. It appears Apple is treating this as a hardware issue. They requested to "capture" our device to figure out what's going on.

For those with similar problems, one tip: If you're instructed to get a new SIM, be sure to call AT&T customer service and discuss the problem. Have them indicate in your account you are to get a free SIM, otherwise you may be out $15.

IGM will post a follow-up video later day with the new iPhone.
That's from a Mac/Apple site too :shrug: Turn off your blinders. You can be a fan of a product and have concerns. Don't be sheep.

Yeah, nice of you two to conveniently avoid posting the article stating it was a software glitch and they'd be patching it.

But continue bashing "fan boys" and not even covertly rooting for the phone to fail while only harping on negatives.

You focus on all negatives, and that's totally fine, if anyone dares call you out you get defensive and resort to the fanboy shtick. And I'll focus on the positives and try to be an optimist while wondering why you don't have something better to do than bash apple.

You wear it well.

Yeah, nice of you two to conveniently avoid posting the article stating it was a software glitch and they'd be patching it.But continue bashing "fan boys" and not even covertly rooting for the phone to fail while only harping on negatives.You focus on all negatives, and that's totally fine, if anyone dares call you out you get defensive and resort to the fanboy shtick. And I'll focus on the positives and try to be an optimist while wondering why you don't have something better to do than bash apple.You wear it well.
:lmao: :confused: :lmao: :confused:If a protective cover changes the outcome of this, how can it possible be a software glitch? This isn't about bashing Apple, this seems to be a problem with the hardware and while no one here seems to be experiencing it, clearly some iPhone 4 owners are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, nice of you two to conveniently avoid posting the article stating it was a software glitch and they'd be patching it.But continue bashing "fan boys" and not even covertly rooting for the phone to fail while only harping on negatives.You focus on all negatives, and that's totally fine, if anyone dares call you out you get defensive and resort to the fanboy shtick. And I'll focus on the positives and try to be an optimist while wondering why you don't have something better to do than bash apple.You wear it well.
One of the might...but I have yet to see California do so.

I'm buying an iphone 4. I purchased a 3G on day one and loved it, but had to return it because of ATT. I've owned every version of the ipod touch. I'll be buying the Touch 4 on day one.It's all in my posting history :confused:edit: I'm also an Android fan too. I'm allowed to like both of them right?

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the might...but I have yet to see California do so.
Posting on my phone, don't have the time or patience to separate the quotes but I'd agree for the most part.I'm not proclaiming this is DEFINITELY a software issue, unlike California, and unlike card trader I'm not gleefully posting any and all negative links I can get my hands on.I'm simply choosing to believe apple when they say it's a software glitch. I'd like to believe their engineers were smart enough to test for such an obvious potential issue before releasing the phone. I'm not sitting her posting conspiracy theories or relishing in the issues they maybe having. I'd like to stay positive until I have a god reason not to, whereas some people would rather spend their time trying to dig up such reasons.

Posting on my phone, don't have the time or patience to separate the quotes but I'd agree for the most part.I'm not proclaiming this is DEFINITELY a software issue, unlike California, and unlike card trader I'm not gleefully posting any and all negative links I can get my hands on.I'm simply choosing to believe apple when they say it's a software glitch. I'd like to believe their engineers were smart enough to test for such an obvious potential issue before releasing the phone. I'm not sitting her posting conspiracy theories or relishing in the issues they maybe having. I'd like to stay positive until I have a god reason not to, whereas some people would rather spend their time trying to dig up such reasons.
I'll just address this once and let it go. I've been lurking here for about 5 years and just started to post recently. I only post in tech/phone related threads anyways. I'm a giant :thumbup: so I read a lot of tech news. I don't need to dig anything up.I visit a lot of tech/geek forums but don't spend much time posting there since people can get really REALLY pro/con about products. I thought the FFA on a fantasy football site no less would be less hardcore but boy was I wrong.I've tried to be helpful in all the threads I've participated in, whether it's Android/EVO/Ipad/Iphone. I can discuss the pros and cons for everything without getting my panties in a bunch. I'm not good with the quippy one liners that offer nothing to a particular thread or discussion but I'll keep working on it.I'm glad you can believe every statement coming from a corporation's PR. You must really be disappointed with BP right now. Maybe I'm just old and cynical or I can see that 1+1 doesn't equal 3, no matter what a corporation says.I've posted the issues I've seen regarding the iphone (again, which I'm about to own). I've even posted workarounds to those issues. Why the hate?

I'll just address this once and let it go. I've been lurking here for about 5 years and just started to post recently. I only post in tech/phone related threads anyways. I'm a giant :nerd: so I read a lot of tech news. I don't need to dig anything up.I visit a lot of tech/geek forums but don't spend much time posting there since people can get really REALLY pro/con about products. I thought the FFA on a fantasy football site no less would be less hardcore but boy was I wrong.I've tried to be helpful in all the threads I've participated in, whether it's Android/EVO/Ipad/Iphone. I can discuss the pros and cons for everything without getting my panties in a bunch. I'm not good with the quippy one liners that offer nothing to a particular thread or discussion but I'll keep working on it.I'm glad you can believe every statement coming from a corporation's PR. You must really be disappointed with BP right now. Maybe I'm just old and cynical or I can see that 1+1 doesn't equal 3, no matter what a corporation says.I've posted the issues I've seen regarding the iphone (again, which I'm about to own). I've even posted workarounds to those issues. Why the hate?
Probably because you posted it as definitely being a hardware issue rather than probably, and you came off as an arrogant know it all.

Posting on my phone, don't have the time or patience to separate the quotes but I'd agree for the most part.

I'm not proclaiming this is DEFINITELY a software issue, unlike California, and unlike card trader I'm not gleefully posting any and all negative links I can get my hands on.

I'm simply choosing to believe apple when they say it's a software glitch. I'd like to believe their engineers were smart enough to test for such an obvious potential issue before releasing the phone. I'm not sitting her posting conspiracy theories or relishing in the issues they maybe having. I'd like to stay positive until I have a god reason not to, whereas some people would rather spend their time trying to dig up such reasons.
I'll just address this once and let it go. I've been lurking here for about 5 years and just started to post recently. I only post in tech/phone related threads anyways. I'm a giant :confused: so I read a lot of tech news. I don't need to dig anything up.I visit a lot of tech/geek forums but don't spend much time posting there since people can get really REALLY pro/con about products. I thought the FFA on a fantasy football site no less would be less hardcore but boy was I wrong.

I've tried to be helpful in all the threads I've participated in, whether it's Android/EVO/Ipad/Iphone. I can discuss the pros and cons for everything without getting my panties in a bunch. I'm not good with the quippy one liners that offer nothing to a particular thread or discussion but I'll keep working on it.

I'm glad you can believe every statement coming from a corporation's PR. You must really be disappointed with BP right now. Maybe I'm just old and cynical or I can see that 1+1 doesn't equal 3, no matter what a corporation says.

I've posted the issues I've seen regarding the iphone (again, which I'm about to own). I've even posted workarounds to those issues. Why the hate?
FWIW- You are posting in definitives when no one yet knows the true cause. It could be hardware, it could be software, it could be a combination. It does seem like there is most likely a hardware component to this issue, but could it also be that Apple uses software to reduce hand interference? I'm no tech guy, but Apple does have a lot of hardware design experience so a major oversight like this would be out of character for the company. Point is, speaking in definitives is jumping the gun at this point.

I'm curious what the iphone4 is going to go for on ebay in the coming days... the hype is crazy.
I got my 32GB iPhone 4G today and I haven't opened it yet or activated it because I'm still trying to decide if I should sell it on ebay or not. Some completed listings have this version going for a bit above/below $1,000

California is one of the few posters in these threads that isn't completely delusional.
While true that doesn't mean he's infallible.
He did tell people they had blinders on and that they were sheep. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I can see how that might get someone riled up :bag: .BTW, Apple usually does a good job of addressing these kinds of issues, and taking care of the customers in the process. I live close to an Apple store and I have almost no doubt that if I encounter a problem with the iPhone, I can just take it to the store and have it replaced without issue. There's some comfort in knowing that.

The important issue to me is whether or not 4G will be jailbroken relatively soon. It's VERY hard for me to let go of my 3GS that's fully jailbroken, unlocked, and configured just like I want it, with background processes for ALL apps, SBSettings which is really nice, and more.

I'm kinda worried that Apple is getting much better at plugging the holes the hackers exploit to jailbreak the phones, among other deterrents.

Probably because you posted it as definitely being a hardware issue rather than probably, and you came off as an arrogant know it all.
FWIW- You are posting in definitives when no one yet knows the true cause. It could be hardware, it could be software, it could be a combination. It does seem like there is most likely a hardware component to this issue, but could it also be that Apple uses software to reduce hand interference? I'm no tech guy, but Apple does have a lot of hardware design experience so a major oversight like this would be out of character for the company. Point is, speaking in definitives is jumping the gun at this point.
Ok, valid point taken.This whole thing reminded me of the Nexus One having a similar problem. Google/HTC first said it was a software problem that would be patched. It was later diagnosed as a hardware problem (poor antenna layout). Google blamed Tmobile and then recommended that users hold their phones a certain way or move around to prevent loss of signal.

Any of this sound familiar?

Google was roundly (and rightly) ridiculed for this. Here's the giant thread on it at Google.

Picked up my fiance's reserved iphone at lunch. Was greeted at the door by Apple employee. He got one out of the back and fired it up and updated it. Outta there is 20 mins total. Whew.I was fearing the worst.There was a line of people waiting for reservations to be canceled, but the istore dude said that can't sell canceled reserves until tomorrow morning and they were wasting their time.
MSNBC was reporting that apple was shipping fewer units to create shortage/demand hype. Apparently, it's working.

Ok, valid point taken.This whole thing reminded me of the Nexus One having a similar problem. Google/HTC first said it was a software problem that would be patched. It was later diagnosed as a hardware problem (poor antenna layout). Google blamed Tmobile and then recommended that users hold their phones a certain way or move around to prevent loss of signal.

Any of this sound familiar?

Google was roundly (and rightly) ridiculed for this. Here's the giant thread on it at Google.
Perhaps the solution is to hold it with a few fingers while standing on one leg...if that's the case, Apple will make it look cool and all the cool kids will start doing it, mocking those who still hold their phones the "old" way.

Seriously - knock it off. More then a couple of you are starting to look ridiculous. Despite protestations to the contrary, lots of the "I never said anything bad about phone X" people are, in fact, the people who did say something bad about phone X. I suspect things would go a lot more smoothly for everyone if we all stick to the task at hand and keep the "YOU"RE A FAN BOY NO IM NOT APPLE SUCKS SO DOES THE EVO THE IPHONE DROPS CALLS THE EVOS BATTERY IS THE WORST" stuff out of this. Thanks.
Last time I'm posting anything about this. Next will be mass post deletion and timeouts. This has been a major league waste of time.
Light 'em up Abe!!! :thumbup:

BTW, Apple usually does a good job of addressing these kinds of issues, and taking care of the customers in the process. I live close to an Apple store and I have almost no doubt that if I encounter a problem with the iPhone, I can just take it to the store and have it replaced without issue. There's some comfort in knowing that.
Right on. I've never attacked Apple through any of this. #### happens during initial product releases.Figure out if you have any of these reported problems. No problem? Sweet.If you have any of these problems, exchange it. Apples is great with exchanges and it's been widely reported they will exchange your phone if you have the yellow screen or antennae issue.Or you can pretend the yellow mark on your screen is where the unicorn touched it's horn to your iphone to infuse it with magicalness. (I'm working on my one liners :thumbup: )

I'm curious what the iphone4 is going to go for on ebay in the coming days... the hype is crazy.
I got my 32GB iPhone 4G today and I haven't opened it yet or activated it because I'm still trying to decide if I should sell it on ebay or not. Some completed listings have this version going for a bit above/below $1,000
That's insane. Why do people have to have one RIGHT NOW?

Well I didnt even bother waiting in line. Had mine pre-ordered but showed up at 2:30 with the line snaking throughout the mall. Had a friend that was still there, and she got there at 8 this morning. A phone isn't that important.

But keep the reviews coming, interested in hearing about it's performance, look etc.

I'm really struggling to understand why there would be haters on a phone. Fanboys, I get. They love their phone and it can be a little much, I think we could all agree. But haters? It's a phone. If I didn't like a phone, I wouldn't spend another second thinking about it. The EVO, it's probably a great phone, I dunno. I don't have one so I don't really care. Why are people in here trying to point out flaws and whatnot of a phone they would never even buy? Who gives a ####? People are rooting for phones with as much fervor as they would their favorite sports team.

BTW, Apple usually does a good job of addressing these kinds of issues, and taking care of the customers in the process. I live close to an Apple store and I have almost no doubt that if I encounter a problem with the iPhone, I can just take it to the store and have it replaced without issue. There's some comfort in knowing that.
Right on. I've never attacked Apple through any of this. #### happens during initial product releases.Figure out if you have any of these reported problems. No problem? Sweet.If you have any of these problems, exchange it. Apples is great with exchanges and it's been widely reported they will exchange your phone if you have the yellow screen or antennae issue.Or you can pretend the yellow mark on your screen is where the unicorn touched it's horn to your iphone to infuse it with magicalness. (I'm working on my one liners :thumbup: )
Indeed.So that leads me not to worry too much. Exchange policy is nice...although if I weren't near an Apple store, I seem to remember you have to send in your iPhone to Apple and you don't get a loaner or anything in the meantime, even from an AT&T store...that may have changed, but that's not such a good deal :lmao: .

That's insane. Why do people have to have one RIGHT NOW?
"I want the worldI want the whole worldI want to lock itAll up in my pocketIt's my bar of chocolateGive it to me now"

I'm involved in the component supply side of some of these devices and I'm surprised that hardware issues don't happen more often.

Well I didnt even bother waiting in line. Had mine pre-ordered but showed up at 2:30 with the line snaking throughout the mall. Had a friend that was still there, and she got there at 8 this morning. A phone isn't that important. But keep the reviews coming, interested in hearing about it's performance, look etc.
After driving past the store this morning and seeing a huge (500+) line, I decided to take a pass and head to work. At about 3p I figured that I would drive by again and not noticing any lines outside the mall, I ventured in. Once I got in I noticed clumps of people being weaved in and out of those people-barriers like they have at the airport. Probably 3-4 different places around the mall were tethered off with these mazes so as not to disturb the regular shoppers I suppose. Since I had an additional purpose to my visit (had a request from a buddy who has an iPad to pick up some accessory), I just wandered past the throngs and into the store. After a few minutes of milling around doing my best to look lost, dazed and confused I was approached by one of the team members who asked if I needed any help. Well....funny you should ask fine sir....and I proceeded to ask the iPad question that I had from my buddy. After a few minutes of small talk, I realized I was talking to the store manager (we were interrupted a few times by some of the other associates). When I mentioned that I had a reservation and I wanted to pick up my new phone, he kindly pointed out the large line just outside and nicely explained that all of those people were waiting for iPhones also. "Oh really? Wow....that's going to take forever" I exclaimed using my best ignorance-is-bliss voice. So while he didn't give me my phone, he did check to make sure they had the reservation, gave me his card and said to come back at 5:30p, seek him out, and he would get me my phone. So while I didn't get the phone right away, at least I didn't have to wait in line for a few hours. Now I'm back at work, being non-productive, and will be leaving shortly to get my phones. Not sure if there will still be a line when I get there but at least I didn't waste half the day standing in one and am happy with the fact I'll have my phone later tonight. BTW, my iPhone 3G has been acting up for the past few weeks as I have had to factory restore and sync it 8-10 times in that time period. I have beat it up plenty over the past two years and now I'm seeing the results of that. While I normally would have waited a couple weeks until things died down, I don't think my current iPhone would last that long.

I'm involved in the component supply side of some of these devices and I'm surprised that hardware issues don't happen more often.
Knowing that you're involved on the component side I think it's safe to say we're all surprised that hardware issues don't happen more often. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread