What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

Anyone try hitting up Radio Shack/Best Buy/Walmart? I've read that these stores got something ridiculous like 2-5 units per store, but I figure the main crush of people are at Apple. Maybe Walmart is the sneaky way to get it?

The important issue to me is whether or not 4G will be jailbroken relatively soon. It's VERY hard for me to let go of my 3GS that's fully jailbroken, unlocked, and configured just like I want it, with background processes for ALL apps, SBSettings which is really nice, and more.I'm kinda worried that Apple is getting much better at plugging the holes the hackers exploit to jailbreak the phones, among other deterrents.
I'm in the same boat. i checked out my fiances iphone 4 today for about a half hour. the screen is fantastic and the glass back feels much higher quality than my 3GS.However, my 3GS is jailbroken and does everything better than iOS4. The apple store guy was showing me the new features of the new phone. "Hey look, you can lock the screen orientation". "you can multitask" "categories"All the while, i'm thinking. 3G unrestrictor, backgrounder, SBSettings, 5 icon dock, intelliscreen, Bite SMS, kirake all blow iOS4's features away. I wanted to buy an iphone 4 for myself. But not until the OS can be fully jailbroken. In fact, If it wasn't for the JB, I'd probably get another phone all together.

The important issue to me is whether or not 4G will be jailbroken relatively soon. It's VERY hard for me to let go of my 3GS that's fully jailbroken, unlocked, and configured just like I want it, with background processes for ALL apps, SBSettings which is really nice, and more.I'm kinda worried that Apple is getting much better at plugging the holes the hackers exploit to jailbreak the phones, among other deterrents.
I'm in the same boat. i checked out my fiances iphone 4 today for about a half hour. the screen is fantastic and the glass back feels much higher quality than my 3GS.However, my 3GS is jailbroken and does everything better than iOS4. The apple store guy was showing me the new features of the new phone. "Hey look, you can lock the screen orientation". "you can multitask" "categories"All the while, i'm thinking. 3G unrestrictor, backgrounder, SBSettings, 5 icon dock, intelliscreen, Bite SMS, kirake all blow iOS4's features away. I wanted to buy an iphone 4 for myself. But not until the OS can be fully jailbroken. In fact, If it wasn't for the JB, I'd probably get another phone all together.
And backgrounder does multitasking better than the native iOS4 does. It's a step down, honestly.

So are the jailbreaks out right now not complete? I've seen a ton of articles on how fast iOS4 was jailbroken. Do these only work on the 3gs and not 4g phone?

I am really besides myself that anyone would wait in line for hours for a phone which they could just swing in and buy at a later date. Unbelievable. This kind of action is at the top of the lists of one of the biggest wastes of time that is easily avoidable.

I'm involved in the component supply side of some of these devices and I'm surprised that hardware issues don't happen more often.
Knowing that you're involved on the component side I think it's safe to say we're all surprised that hardware issues don't happen more often. ;)
:goodposting: The thing about it is that I don't think people realize the detail and repetition that goes in to making these devices. There are literally a hundred different hardware spots where something can go wrong and the whole thing doesn't work. And the assembly lines are maintained as well as possible, but humans are still involved which means occasionally something goes wrong.

Like I said, being on the supply and manufacture side of the electronics industry I am constantly in awe that our electronic wares, both consumer and enterprise, work as well as they do.

The important issue to me is whether or not 4G will be jailbroken relatively soon. It's VERY hard for me to let go of my 3GS that's fully jailbroken, unlocked, and configured just like I want it, with background processes for ALL apps, SBSettings which is really nice, and more.

I'm kinda worried that Apple is getting much better at plugging the holes the hackers exploit to jailbreak the phones, among other deterrents.
I'm in the same boat. i checked out my fiances iphone 4 today for about a half hour. the screen is fantastic and the glass back feels much higher quality than my 3GS.However, my 3GS is jailbroken and does everything better than iOS4. The apple store guy was showing me the new features of the new phone. "Hey look, you can lock the screen orientation". "you can multitask" "categories"

All the while, i'm thinking. 3G unrestrictor, backgrounder, SBSettings, 5 icon dock, intelliscreen, Bite SMS, kirake all blow iOS4's features away.

I wanted to buy an iphone 4 for myself. But not until the OS can be fully jailbroken. In fact, If it wasn't for the JB, I'd probably get another phone all together.
So are the jailbreaks out right now not complete? I've seen a ton of articles on how fast iOS4 was jailbroken. Do these only work on the 3gs and not 4g phone?
Here is a chart showing what jailbroken apps works with OS4

I am really besides myself that anyone would wait in line for hours for a phone which they could just swing in and buy at a later date. Unbelievable. This kind of action is at the top of the lists of one of the biggest wastes of time that is easily avoidable.
:goodposting: Its exciting to some people. I am a huge gadget hound but I rarely have the extra cash laying around to "treat" myself to something new and, frankly, unnecessary. It reminds me of back in the early 90's when my friends and I would camp out to be the first to buy General Admission tickets to concerts that never even sold out. It's part of the overall experience of having the device for some people. Those people, me included, are dorks of the highest order. But still...

Have a friend who is an assistant manager at Best Buy, texted him yesterday and asked about how many iphones they were getting. He said 70, but all presales. Then said that there might be a small chance they'd get extra....come at 7 when presale pickups start....buy a presale card ($50) and if they have any at 9:00 am I could get one. Showed up around 6:15....first one there......when a few cars pulled up around 6:40 I got out and was first in line.....at 7:00 there were about 10-12 in line.......5 of those were presale pickups.....I texted my friend at about 6:30 telling him I was there.....he texted back and told me that they had gotten 10 extra 16gb phones.......At 7:00 when the presale guys were let in my friend sticks his head out the door...motions me to come in.....takes me to this guy and tells him to go ahead and do a presale with me (while the others were still waiting outside). Took about 5 minutes to do that. Returned at 9:00........by 9:25 I was walking out the door with my phone.

I'm liking it so far.

I should also give props to my wife. She has been carring a 3G while I've been using a razr.....it was her upgrade and the plan was to upgrade her to the iphone 4 and then I would carry her 3G until October when I can upgrade......this morning she says, "I want you to go ahead and carry the new phone....I'm happy with my 3G......I don't mind to wait until October to get the new one." Special thanks to my lovely, giving bride!!

:lmao: Its exciting to some people. I am a huge gadget hound but I rarely have the extra cash laying around to "treat" myself to something new and, frankly, unnecessary. It reminds me of back in the early 90's when my friends and I would camp out to be the first to buy General Admission tickets to concerts that never even sold out. It's part of the overall experience of having the device for some people. Those people, me included, are dorks of the highest order. But still...
Yes, but you can get it a couple of days from now without any wait. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding the rationality of something so irrational. Oh well. To each his own.

Just gave in. Activated the 32GB 4G in about 5 minutes, restored from my 3GS and all looks good, aside from not being jailbroken.

The most striking things so far are the snappiness of the apps and the crispness of the text. The feel of the phone is different as well, but I think I prefer the 3GS ergonomic feel better although this is growing on me (i like the top button feel compared to 3GS).

Downloading some apps, the camera is pretty stinking sweet, the flash is cool, video is uber-responsive when recording and neat that you can keep the light on, I like the ability to flip between front facing and rear-facing camera with just a touch.

Anyway, that's it for first impressions. Will use it normally for a while and give impressions after using it for a bit, but man, is that screen crisp and the text clear. Will make reading on it MUCH easier.

:banned: Its exciting to some people. I am a huge gadget hound but I rarely have the extra cash laying around to "treat" myself to something new and, frankly, unnecessary. It reminds me of back in the early 90's when my friends and I would camp out to be the first to buy General Admission tickets to concerts that never even sold out. It's part of the overall experience of having the device for some people. Those people, me included, are dorks of the highest order. But still...
Yes, but you can get it a couple of days from now without any wait. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding the rationality of something so irrational. Oh well. To each his own.
It could end up being a lot longer than a few days. I'm not sure that everybody who "pre-ordered" even got their phones today due to the lack of phones shipped. I'm going the Radio Shack route (for now anyway) because I want paid for my 3Gs and that might take a month to get the phone I'm told as they apparently are getting 4 phones at a time. They seem pissed.

I'm going to keep watching eBay though I guess and see what the going rates are for a 1 year old 3Gs with OS4 in great condition (zero scratches, marks, or cracks) and when I can get a phone shipped to me from Apple or ATT.

I'm curious what the iphone4 is going to go for on ebay in the coming days... the hype is crazy.
I got my 32GB iPhone 4G today and I haven't opened it yet or activated it because I'm still trying to decide if I should sell it on ebay or not. Some completed listings have this version going for a bit above/below $1,000
That's insane. Why do people have to have one RIGHT NOW?
What's insane are the people who have this phone now and won't sell it for 1k

The bastardos changed the Simcard size. I was hoping I'd be able to interchange the card between the 4G and 3GS but no luck. The new sim card is about half the size of the old one. Bah.

I'm curious what the iphone4 is going to go for on ebay in the coming days... the hype is crazy.
I got my 32GB iPhone 4G today and I haven't opened it yet or activated it because I'm still trying to decide if I should sell it on ebay or not. Some completed listings have this version going for a bit above/below $1,000
Unsubsidized cost is $700+tax. So if I sold it now, I'd basically be netting $300 minus shipping + hassle of listing on ebay + ebay fees + hassle of shipping + hassle of ordering new 4G when it comes out + opportunity cost. To me, my laziness and curiosity wins out but I admit, it's probably a dumb decision to forgo that money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsubsidized cost is $700+tax. So if I sold it now, I'd basically be netting $300 minus shipping + hassle of listing on ebay + ebay fees + hassle of shipping + hassle of ordering new 4G when it comes out + opportunity cost. To me, my laziness and curiosity wins out but I admit, it's probably a dumb decision to forgo that money.
Craigslist

One of my coworkers just sold his for $1,300. THIRTEEN HUNDRED. He has a 3GS and got the early upgrade. He's going to "suffer" with his 3GS for awhile longer. Using the money to buy a 64GB Ipad and a non contract iphone 4 down the road.

One of my coworkers just sold his for $1,300. THIRTEEN HUNDRED. He has a 3GS and got the early upgrade. He's going to "suffer" with his 3GS for awhile longer. Using the money to buy a 64GB Ipad and a non contract iphone 4 down the road.
Smart. Why not put it on CL for 1500?

Goggins, you must be SO good at life.

:thumbup:

Have a friend who is an assistant manager at Best Buy, texted him yesterday and asked about how many iphones they were getting. He said 70, but all presales. Then said that there might be a small chance they'd get extra....come at 7 when presale pickups start....buy a presale card ($50) and if they have any at 9:00 am I could get one. Showed up around 6:15....first one there......when a few cars pulled up around 6:40 I got out and was first in line.....at 7:00 there were about 10-12 in line.......5 of those were presale pickups.....I texted my friend at about 6:30 telling him I was there.....he texted back and told me that they had gotten 10 extra 16gb phones.......At 7:00 when the presale guys were let in my friend sticks his head out the door...motions me to come in.....takes me to this guy and tells him to go ahead and do a presale with me (while the others were still waiting outside). Took about 5 minutes to do that. Returned at 9:00........by 9:25 I was walking out the door with my phone.

I'm liking it so far.

I should also give props to my wife. She has been carring a 3G while I've been using a razr.....it was her upgrade and the plan was to upgrade her to the iphone 4 and then I would carry her 3G until October when I can upgrade......this morning she says, "I want you to go ahead and carry the new phone....I'm happy with my 3G......I don't mind to wait until October to get the new one." Special thanks to my lovely, giving bride!!
I'll let her know when I see her.

do you mean like grown men feverishly trying to register at a site so they could get a 3 digit member number?

do you mean like grown men feverishly trying to register at a site so they could get a 3 digit member number?
Or missing the deadline and then paying way over retail after the fact :thumbup:

You mean there are grown men that this means something to? Not sure what to say to that. Maybe they should be hanging out at the high school to get in line for the next hot thing.

Have a friend who is an assistant manager at Best Buy, texted him yesterday and asked about how many iphones they were getting. He said 70, but all presales. Then said that there might be a small chance they'd get extra....come at 7 when presale pickups start....buy a presale card ($50) and if they have any at 9:00 am I could get one. Showed up around 6:15....first one there......when a few cars pulled up around 6:40 I got out and was first in line.....at 7:00 there were about 10-12 in line.......5 of those were presale pickups.....I texted my friend at about 6:30 telling him I was there.....he texted back and told me that they had gotten 10 extra 16gb phones.......At 7:00 when the presale guys were let in my friend sticks his head out the door...motions me to come in.....takes me to this guy and tells him to go ahead and do a presale with me (while the others were still waiting outside). Took about 5 minutes to do that. Returned at 9:00........by 9:25 I was walking out the door with my phone. I'm liking it so far.I should also give props to my wife. She has been carring a 3G while I've been using a razr.....it was her upgrade and the plan was to upgrade her to the iphone 4 and then I would carry her 3G until October when I can upgrade......this morning she says, "I want you to go ahead and carry the new phone....I'm happy with my 3G......I don't mind to wait until October to get the new one." Special thanks to my lovely, giving bride!!
That's pathetic

How do you turn off the obnoxious "Sent from my iPad" trailer on emails? Wifey doesn't want it on her emails.

:goodposting:

Well this antenna issue is Fn annoying already. I've already dropped more calls (3) than I have in the past month with my 3G.

I can sit there with it flat in my hand (not touching sides) and have a full signal. Grab the sides like I'm ready to make a call and watch it go all the way down to 'Searching' within a minute or so. Just like that dude's video. :lmao:

CORRECTION

Just got it to replicate that test holding it on the left bottom side. Signal went all the way down and then back up. Couldn't do it in my gal's hands, just my big O mitts. But it happened.

CORRECTIONJust got it to replicate that test holding it on the left bottom side. Signal went all the way down and then back up. Couldn't do it in my gal's hands, just my big O mitts. But it happened.
happened for me as well. got very slow on 3G when I had my hands wrapped around the side but was flying when I just left it on the table.

LOL 3

Well that's not good. :ptts:

Well this antenna issue is Fn annoying already. I've already dropped more calls (3) than I have in the past month with my 3G.I can sit there with it flat in my hand (not touching sides) and have a full signal. Grab the sides like I'm ready to make a call and watch it go all the way down to 'Searching' within a minute or so. Just like that dude's video. :thumbup:
CORRECTIONJust got it to replicate that test holding it on the left bottom side. Signal went all the way down and then back up. Couldn't do it in my gal's hands, just my big O mitts. But it happened.
happened for me as well. got very slow on 3G when I had my hands wrapped around the side but was flying when I just left it on the table.

So I "reserved" one online when I couldn't get through to buy online on the first day. Bad idea.

I went to the Apple store today, and the "reserved" line was 7 hours long.

I wanted to get one before I go on vacation, but that's not gonna happen. Hopefully they have more supply in August?

Well this antenna issue is Fn annoying already. I've already dropped more calls (3) than I have in the past month with my 3G.I can sit there with it flat in my hand (not touching sides) and have a full signal. Grab the sides like I'm ready to make a call and watch it go all the way down to 'Searching' within a minute or so. Just like that dude's video. :shrug:
That's part of the deal when you must have it first. Sure you can wait a few weeks or when the hype dies down and swap it for a newer one.

So I "reserved" one online when I couldn't get through to buy online on the first day. Bad idea.I went to the Apple store today, and the "reserved" line was 7 hours long. I wanted to get one before I go on vacation, but that's not gonna happen. Hopefully they have more supply in August?
Real Apple phans don't plan vacations so close to product releases. POSER!

Jobs is saying to either use a case or hold it differently if you have reception issues. Very out of character for apple.

Jobs is saying to either use a case or hold it differently if you have reception issues. Very out of character for apple.
Wow.One of the main reasons I wanted the 4 was because of the better reception. I shouldn't be required to buy a case of hold it daintily with my fingers.

Maybe they did it on purpose to sell more cases :banned:

Well that's not good. :banned:

Well this antenna issue is Fn annoying already. I've already dropped more calls (3) than I have in the past month with my 3G.I can sit there with it flat in my hand (not touching sides) and have a full signal. Grab the sides like I'm ready to make a call and watch it go all the way down to 'Searching' within a minute or so. Just like that dude's video. :(
Very dissapointing.I'll still be shocked if this is actually an" hardware issue, how do they not test for this?? Defintely sticking with my 3GS until this is resolvrd.

Very dissapointing.I'll still be shocked if this is actually an" hardware issue, how do they not test for this?? Defintely sticking with my 3GS until this is resolvrd.
I can't reproduce the lower in the bars, so I wouldn't be shocked if their "testers" weren't holding it in a manner that would produce the problem. Maybe I just have small hands. :(

Users who are viewing this thread