What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

& for the record I haven't had a single dropped call or yellow screen. :unsure:
This
Yeah, I don't know anyone with one yet, but know several that will have one. Will be interesting to see if they have issues. FTR, my Droid loses a few dBM's when I wrap my hand around it like in that video. Doesn't greatly affect performance though (although I haven't tried a speed test like that).

I find it interesting that, despite the phone coming out 2 days ago, there's really not that many posts over the last couple days raving how amazing the phone is.
I find it interesting that you're following this thread.
Why's that? Brand new phone comes out, has some very nice new features, usually lots of raving about apple products, and overall there's just not a whole lot of "this phone is amazing". I don't know if it's because the new features aren't that impressive or if it's as a result of some of the flaws that have dominated the first few days of its release. Overall, there's been a lot of unApple-like issues including the disappointing response by Jobs. All that said, I'm really interested to see what one of these screens looks like in person. Not sure why I have to own this phone to have any interest in it or this thread, but thanks for your concern.

I'm hoping they will come out with some sort of fix for it, other than "Buy more of our product", because that's pretty BS to sell a $700 phone, and force someone to spend $30 more dollars to have it work optimally.

My right-handed FIL bought the bumper with his phone, but didn't like it. So he gave it to me. It of course solves the antenna issue and actually isn't half bad (I really wanted to freeball it this time around). I can't believe they charge $29 for this, though. It fits just a tad too tight, IMO, as it seems like it's half-pressing the top button. It only takes a light tap sometimes to put it to sleep.After getting over the initial frustration of dropped calls from the antenna, I'm really starting to enjoy this phone. The form factor is downright fantastic. Even my wife, who's not techy in the slightest bit, had that 'i want one look' after playing with it and noting how much faster it is over her 3G. She originally didn't see the need to upgrade (she's not the heaviest of users), but now she's reconsidering. I still can't use 'threaded' emails. I can't figure out why it's 'hiding' all of my emails so I may just bite the bullet and let one of the Apple nerds at the store show me what I'm doing wrong. :bag:
:unsure:Yeah, they are pretty good with stuff like that, it's free so why not?I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to pick one up anymore.The reception issue is really bothersome, but I still haven't seen anything that confirms if it is just showing you losing signal, or if you actually are losing signal.I'd like to see someone hold it so the bars drop, then try and make a call.
I without a doubt was losing calls because of this. I lost 3 calls the first day while sitting in my office talking to my wife (never once lost a call in my office on the 3G). After the 3rd dropped call, I put the phone back down on the desk and watched the bars 'restore' (it started with 'Searching'). That's when I started playing the hand game and watching the signal drop to 'Searching'. Since putting on the bumper, I haven't lost any calls and can't reproduce the dropping signal.ETA: I'm a lefty. I never tried it with my right hand. :shrug:
You know what's silly about this lefty stuff? I almost always use my phone with my left hand, and I'm most definitely a righty.
I'm ambidextrous but right dominant. Always have the phone in the left hand...until I put it in the right pocket.

My right-handed FIL bought the bumper with his phone, but didn't like it. So he gave it to me. It of course solves the antenna issue and actually isn't half bad (I really wanted to freeball it this time around). I can't believe they charge $29 for this, though. It fits just a tad too tight, IMO, as it seems like it's half-pressing the top button. It only takes a light tap sometimes to put it to sleep.After getting over the initial frustration of dropped calls from the antenna, I'm really starting to enjoy this phone. The form factor is downright fantastic. Even my wife, who's not techy in the slightest bit, had that 'i want one look' after playing with it and noting how much faster it is over her 3G. She originally didn't see the need to upgrade (she's not the heaviest of users), but now she's reconsidering. I still can't use 'threaded' emails. I can't figure out why it's 'hiding' all of my emails so I may just bite the bullet and let one of the Apple nerds at the store show me what I'm doing wrong. :bag:
:unsure:Yeah, they are pretty good with stuff like that, it's free so why not?I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to pick one up anymore.The reception issue is really bothersome, but I still haven't seen anything that confirms if it is just showing you losing signal, or if you actually are losing signal.I'd like to see someone hold it so the bars drop, then try and make a call.
I without a doubt was losing calls because of this. I lost 3 calls the first day while sitting in my office talking to my wife (never once lost a call in my office on the 3G). After the 3rd dropped call, I put the phone back down on the desk and watched the bars 'restore' (it started with 'Searching'). That's when I started playing the hand game and watching the signal drop to 'Searching'. Since putting on the bumper, I haven't lost any calls and can't reproduce the dropping signal.ETA: I'm a lefty. I never tried it with my right hand. :shrug:
You know what's silly about this lefty stuff? I almost always use my phone with my left hand, and I'm most definitely a righty.
I'm ambidextrous but right dominant. Always have the phone in the left hand...until I put it in the right pocket.
Yeah, the right pocket for me personally is my left pocket. Which is likely why I use my left hand even though I am right dominant. I can't imagine putting it in the right pocket, it would feel so wrong, and that's where my wallet goes. The right way is definitely the left.

The reception issue is really bothersome, but I still haven't seen anything that confirms if it is just showing you losing signal, or if you actually are losing signal.I'd like to see someone hold it so the bars drop, then try and make a call.
I used the speed test. If I tried to wrap my hands completely around the outside of the phone, the download speed was literally 0 mbps. Had nothing to do with the bars.

I find it interesting that, despite the phone coming out 2 days ago, there's really not that many posts over the last couple days raving how amazing the phone is.
I find it interesting that you're following this thread.
Why's that? Brand new phone comes out, has some very nice new features, usually lots of raving about apple products, and overall there's just not a whole lot of "this phone is amazing". I don't know if it's because the new features aren't that impressive or if it's as a result of some of the flaws that have dominated the first few days of its release. Overall, there's been a lot of unApple-like issues including the disappointing response by Jobs. All that said, I'm really interested to see what one of these screens looks like in person. Not sure why I have to own this phone to have any interest in it or this thread, but thanks for your concern.
People are too busy playing with their phones.I think it's pretty awesome so far, but I hate Apple and don't feel the need to give them any added hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reception issue is really bothersome, but I still haven't seen anything that confirms if it is just showing you losing signal, or if you actually are losing signal.I'd like to see someone hold it so the bars drop, then try and make a call.
I used the speed test. If I tried to wrap my hands completely around the outside of the phone, the download speed was literally 0 mbps. Had nothing to do with the bars.
:unsure:This seems awfully widespread too, not simply a few cases, it seems anyone not having problems is the exception.Oh well, my 3GS is fine, maybe I'll pick up a 32GB model for $300 and see if I can sell it for $1000+ dollars or something.

I also found it interesting that when I left the phone on the table and ran the speed test, the download speeds were actually faster on 3G than using my home wireless network. So, I don't think a weak signal is to blame for the antennae issue here.

Is anyone else having problems with the sound when using Facetime or video recorder? I tried Facetime with a friend of mine and he couldn't hear anything although during normal phone calls it was fine. I also tested a short video and the sound wasn't working either. I saw a few posts that mentioned the same thing on various message boards but wanted to see if any FBG's had the same issue.

Here is my first iMovie for iPhone4 video.

Works great. Took some clips over the last few hours, then threw this together with transitions and music in 5 minutes. YouTube upload took a couple minutes as well, but doesn't look as good as the native video. The iMovie app is so simple & stable.

===>

<=== :thumbup: [sFW, NSFHomer]

Works great. Took some clips over the last few hours, then threw this together with transitions and music in 5 minutes. YouTube upload took a couple minutes as well, but doesn't look as good as the native video. The iMovie app is so simple & stable.

===>

Pretty fantastic quality there. Cool.

===>

I bet the Starbucks people loved you! :thumbup:

I'm hoping they will come out with some sort of fix for it, other than "Buy more of our product", because that's pretty BS to sell a $700 phone, and force someone to spend $30 more dollars to have it work optimally.
Seems smart to me. Why fix it when you can get another $30 out of someone?

===>

smh

AT&T getting rid of the unlimited data plan is such a "screw you, all" to their customers. They know they've got their customers by the balls...they just don't care and appear to be doing everything possible to cause people to turn their back on them and the iphone.

Think about it for a moment...you've got the choice of all these wonderful phones out there right now...the differences between them all is very slim...so, other things like data plan costs become a huge factor. So dumb.

AT&T getting rid of the unlimited data plan is such a "screw you, all" to their customers. They know they've got their customers by the balls...they just don't care and appear to be doing everything possible to cause people to turn their back on them and the iphone.Think about it for a moment...you've got the choice of all these wonderful phones out there right now...the differences between them all is very slim...so, other things like data plan costs become a huge factor. So dumb.
Again ATT and Apple will gouge their customers because they can and know most won't leave.

AT&T getting rid of the unlimited data plan is such a "screw you, all" to their customers. They know they've got their customers by the balls...they just don't care and appear to be doing everything possible to cause people to turn their back on them and the iphone.

Think about it for a moment...you've got the choice of all these wonderful phones out there right now...the differences between them all is very slim...so, other things like data plan costs become a huge factor. So dumb.
You get to keep it if you already have it. :goodposting:

iPhone 4 Boosts Upload Speeds Significantly

Several readers have reported that the iPhone 4 does make good on its promise of increased upload speeds over 3G. ZDNet posted some comparisons between the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 using Speedtest.

I started noticing this on Thursday after I picked up the iPhone 4. The first bandwidth speed tests that I ran showed that I was getting much higher bandwidth numbers that I was used to seeing on AT&T. I was getting over 2 Mbps on downloads and over 700K on uploads.

The ZDNet author was unable to replicate the signal loss issue at his location (Louisville, Kentucky). How much you might individually benefit from the improved HSUPA depends on the status of your AT&T wireless network in your area.

AT&T getting rid of the unlimited data plan is such a "screw you, all" to their customers. They know they've got their customers by the balls...they just don't care and appear to be doing everything possible to cause people to turn their back on them and the iphone.Think about it for a moment...you've got the choice of all these wonderful phones out there right now...the differences between them all is very slim...so, other things like data plan costs become a huge factor. So dumb.
Again ATT and Apple will gouge their customers because they can and know most won't leave.
again Walton Goggins posts the same boring shtick over and over and just won't leave

You get to keep it if you already have it. :lmao:
All new customers and those with family plans that plan on upgrading to the new iphone.How does that make sense? You've got new customers thinking about jumping into the smart phone waters and AT&T decides to jam the right from the beginning.

===>

Won't load on my ipad :angry:

You get to keep it if you already have it. :angry:
All new customers and those with family plans that plan on upgrading to the new iphone.How does that make sense? You've got new customers thinking about jumping into the smart phone waters and AT&T decides to jam the right from the beginning.
FWIW Verizon will eventually offer data tiers as well. They delayed going to the tiers in order to capitalize on AT&T's new policy change and to lure people to the droid X but it will happen sooner or later.

You get to keep it if you already have it. :angry:
jailbreak iphone and join TMobile. That's what I did.

You get to keep it if you already have it. :excited:
the only reason I signed up is b/c they stopped charging everyone a flat $30/month. :shrug:

$15/month for 200MB or $25 for 2GB sounds like a better option for most people.

My unlimited with the family plan doesn't change with the upgrade

So you cam use any carrier? What benefit did you gain by joining TMobile? Curious.

So you cam use any carrier? What benefit did you gain by joining TMobile? Curious.
Cheaper data plans. I was with T Mobile when I had the unlocked 3G, and the data plan was $19.99 if I recall.

Jailbreaked Iphone = getting the all the great features of the iphone, but getting a cheaper data/phone plan. Good to know.

You get to keep it if you already have it. :shrug:
the only reason I signed up is b/c they stopped charging everyone a flat $30/month. :shrug:

Why not offer all three options?enter shrug smiley here

You get to keep it if you already have it. :shrug:
My unlimited with the family plan doesn't change with the upgrade
I have unlimited for my iphone...the other three lines were regular phones. We upgraded one of those three lines to iphone 4g yesterday...unlimited was not an option on that line because it wasn't grandfathered in on that line like it was on mine.

Jailbreaked Iphone = getting the all the great features of the iphone, but getting a cheaper data/phone plan. Good to know.
Actually it's unlocking that lets you use different carriers that have sim cards. Jailbreaking is something else.
Exactly...my 3gs is jailbroken.I use it for tethering with my laptop at work so I don't get busted for surfing whatever the hell I want while on the clock.Plus, all the free apps is a wonderful plus.

I had the chance to check out the new iphone today. It is a definite improvement over the previous model. I have an htc evo, and it really comes down to preference as to which one you would you prefer. The 2 biggest factors for me were coverage and price and sprint won on both of those categories for me.

You get to keep it if you already have it. :lmao:
the only reason I signed up is b/c they stopped charging everyone a flat $30/month. :wolf:

I was thrilled with the change since the 200MB option is good for me most of the time. I'm within wifi range 95% of the time.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to get this or not, or just stick with my 3GS, but I really want the extra 16GB of space that getting the 32GB model will give me.

So the antenna issue is only showing up in practice with people who talk using their left hand/ear?
No - it's only showing up when you use your hands. Otherwise, the reception is flawless. To get the non-hands-free version of the new IPhone you have to pay an extra $30 bucks for a special "Reception Enhancer" to fit around the phone itself.And, to be honest, this really isn't Apple's fault. It's your fault because you're using your hands to answer your phone - so what's an extra $30?

So the antenna issue is only showing up in practice with people who talk using their left hand/ear?
No - it's only showing up when you use your hands. Otherwise, the reception is flawless. To get the non-hands-free version of the new IPhone you have to pay an extra $30 bucks for a special "Reception Enhancer" to fit around the phone itself.And, to be honest, this really isn't Apple's fault. It's your fault because you're using your hands to answer your phone - so what's an extra $30?
Link.

Link.
Boo-hoo - we can trash Microsoft all we want but posters who bash Apple are trolls. Would you like some warm milk to make you feel better?

Link.
Boo-hoo - we can trash Microsoft all we want but posters who bash Apple are trolls. Would you like some warm milk to make you feel better?
Tosberg out and about

Link.
Tosberg out and about
Really? That's all you got? And we expected so much more from you (sigh). I'd give you my cell number so we could talk about this man to man but I know you wouldn't be able to because you have the new IPhone. Must be why you're posting instead.

Users who are viewing this thread