What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Burger/French Fry Debate of 2014 (1 Viewer)

Best Burger

• McDonalds

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Wendy's

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • Burger King

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • In and Out

Votes: 68 23.7%
  • Five Guys

Votes: 131 45.6%
  • Sonic

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Checker

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • White Castle

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Whataburger?

Votes: 13 4.5%

• Total voters
I'm sorry, but I really don't differentiate between $7-9. If you are that strapped, order off the Dollar Menu.
What are you talking about? Of course the fast food chains are not a lot cheaper than 5 Guys, they all STINK!!! Go get a real burger.

If anyone lives near Houston's and want to go full throttle, go sit down and get their $15+ burger, all steak pieces ground up and it is 100% delicious.

Yeah, this pohl is way flawed. This should only include burger/fry joints that are national chains, and In N Out isnt even close to that, and as far as I know neither are Checker's, White Castle (south its Crystal), or Nathan's. Sonic seems like theyve basically become national but a decade ago they weren't.

How are these are all options but places like Red Robin, Chik Fil-A, etc arent makes no sense.
I don't think it's flawed... I doubt Red Robin or Chik FilA are over taking anyone up right now.

Not for nothing, by for a very local place, In and Out is having quite a run so far in the poll.
So how is it not flawed when you included a few very regional chains but left out popular nationwide chains?

And yes, In N Out is having quite a run because it has plenty of minions for it here.

Two people actually voted for McDonalds as best hamburger? Is this shtick or did you answer the poll at 3 AM after a serious boozer and that's all that was available?

:lmao: at you guys complaining about 5 Guys prices. Cheap asses.
Because for $10 NO DRINK…I can go to several mom n pop joints around town and get a much better burger cooked to order with delicious toppings, hand cut fries, and ice cold coke. Many of the same places have quite a craft beer list so can it on the whole price thing. 5 Guys is outrageous what they charge. As long as In n Out is giving meals for about $6, they are the best of the fast food joints and it's not even close. And while I am not huge on their fries, at least they are fresh cut and not loaded with a lot of chemicals like McDonalds.

You folks are terrible burger connoisseurs, I wouldn't listen to anything you all recommend, you have no idea what's good. I get cards for free burgers from 5 Guys and I give them away, terrible place and the burgers are burnt to a crisp and they are proud of it, frack 'em.
:lmao:

My main gripe with Fatburger is the cleanliness of the place. Even the grill itself gets nasty.
It's not a location by location proposition? Though, the Fatburgers I've been in (on the west coast at least) have all been very clean and well run, albeit slow at times. Can't speak to the one I'd go to often when I lived there cause it's been 10+ years.

Yeah, this pohl is way flawed. This should only include burger/fry joints that are national chains, and In N Out isnt even close to that, and as far as I know neither are Checker's, White Castle (south its Crystal), or Nathan's. Sonic seems like theyve basically become national but a decade ago they weren't.

How are these are all options but places like Red Robin, Chik Fil-A, etc arent makes no sense.
I don't think it's flawed... I doubt Red Robin or Chik FilA are over taking anyone up right now.

Not for nothing, by for a very local place, In and Out is having quite a run so far in the poll.
So how is it not flawed when you included a few very regional chains but left out popular nationwide chains?

And yes, In N Out is having quite a run because it has plenty of minions for it here.
Isn't Red Robin a diner?

& I doubt Chik Fil A is climbing the charts... Who am I missing?

I included In and Out bc they're known nationwide.

Isn't Red Robin a diner?

In and Out is very west coast, most people have never heard of them.

Their pictures don't impress either. :mellow:

My main gripe with Fatburger is the cleanliness of the place. Even the grill itself gets nasty.
It's not a location by location proposition? Though, the Fatburgers I've been in (on the west coast at least) have all been very clean and well run, albeit slow at times. Can't speak to the one I'd go to often when I lived there cause it's been 10+ years.
There's a lot of action going on near the grill. Lots of spice shaking everywhere. Wrappers all over the joint.

There's a lot of action going on near the grill. Lots of spice shaking everywhere. Wrappers all over the joint.
I think Fatburger is the better than Five Guys, and those are the only two mentioned in this thread that can compete with the likes of Chesters in Texas. In and Out is very good, but a notch or two bellow FB and FG IMO.

MOP,

I bet if you told your local 5 guys you have a financial hardship, they would give you a discount.

I don't usually agree with MOP on anything but he's right here. If you're willing to pay $10 and walk inside a building for your meal, you've opened up a whole world of options that are better than Five Guys. Not just burgers, but all sorts of food.

It has nothing to do with being cheap. If my only choices were Five Guys or a bunch of fast-food burger joints, I'd pay the extra for Five Guys. But there's way better options than that.

I don't usually agree with MOP on anything but he's right here. If you're willing to pay $10 and walk inside a building for your meal, you've opened up a whole world of options that are better than Five Guys. Not just burgers, but all sorts of food.

It has nothing to do with being cheap. If my only choices were Five Guys or a bunch of fast-food burger joints, I'd pay the extra for Five Guys. But there's way better options than that.
I don't understand this... What are you getting for $10?

Isn't Red Robin a diner?

As a Los Angeles guy, I'm 10 minutes away from 3 In-N-Outs and don't go to any of them. The brand is completely over hyped and blind brand loyalty is ridiculous. They serve a good Double-double burger but it's far from great. The sheep need to wake up but I'm betting they won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't Red Robin a diner?

I guess the difference is you get service at a Red Robin, but their claim to fame is the burgers. I wasnt impressed when I was there, but still.

Id say Chik Fil-A has the best fries of any place in the poll besides 5 Guys.

I wonder if In N Out is so low due to it being more west coast. I voted five guys for both. i like their burgers better than IN N Out and the fries as well. Fries with vinegar > Animal Style Fries IMO.

Sorry to go against the grain, but it's Fudruckers for me. Both options.
There are numerous states Fudruckers are not in. I could probably drive 200 miles and not find one. The ones on this list are all within 50 miles, most within a couple miles.
Half the population of the US would have to fly to get to an In n' Out burger.
And bring a magnifying glass to find the burger. Seriously, the thinnest hamburger I've ever seen. Roughly the size of the slice of cheese. :thumbdown:

Only plus was how cheap it was.

I think Fatburger is the better than Five Guys, and those are the only two mentioned in this thread that can compete with the likes of Chesters in Texas. In and Out is very good, but a notch or two bellow FB and FG IMO.
Fat Burger gives me the runs.

White Castle for me, I don't even bother anymore.

Isn't Red Robin a diner?

As a Los Angeles guy, I'm 10 minutes away from 3 In-N-Outs and don't go to any of them. The brand is completely over hyped and blind brand loyalty is ridiculous. They serve a good Double-double burger but it's far from great. The sheep need to wake up but I'm betting they won't.
What's your take on Umami?

I don't think it's flawed... I doubt Red Robin or Chik FilA are over taking anyone up right now.Not for nothing, by for a very local place, In and Out is having quite a run so far in the poll.

Isn't Red Robin a diner?& I doubt Chik Fil A is climbing the charts... Who am I missing?

In and Out is very west coast, most people have never heard of them.Their pictures don't impress either. :mellow:
What's your take on Umami?
Delicious!! Starts with the bun!!

White Castle for me, I don't even bother anymore.
The finest constitutionals I ever have are the morning after eating white castle.

:lmao: at you guys complaining about 5 Guys prices. Cheap asses.
Because for $10 NO DRINK…I can go to several mom n pop joints around town and get a much better burger cooked to order with delicious toppings, hand cut fries, and ice cold coke. Many of the same places have quite a craft beer list so can it on the whole price thing. 5 Guys is outrageous what they charge. As long as In n Out is giving meals for about $6, they are the best of the fast food joints and it's not even close. And while I am not huge on their fries, at least they are fresh cut and not loaded with a lot of chemicals like McDonalds.

You folks are terrible burger connoisseurs, I wouldn't listen to anything you all recommend, you have no idea what's good. I get cards for free burgers from 5 Guys and I give them away, terrible place and the burgers are burnt to a crisp and they are proud of it, frack 'em.
:no:

Don't know where to start with this, so I'll just leave it alone.
Because it is TRUE!!! Why would you go buy that burger? I have a place called Vega's not a stone throws away form my local 5 guys, it is 10x better. The meat is hand packed, they cook it Rare/Med Rare/Med/Med Well whatever you like because well done sucks and anyone who eats their burgers that way enjoys no taste in their burger. You can't taste the meat when they are well done. Do you make your burgers well done off the grill? And again if you do, i wouldn't listen to much you say. I bet you like a burnt filet mignon as well, old piece of leather by they time they are done cooking it for you.

Seriously, what is good about 5 guys. They are like Evian, they figured if they charged $10 for a burger and fries that people would think they must be better, they're NOT. And do you never enjoy a drink with your meal? Let's be honest, a double plus fries plus a drink is closer to $12+, this place is a joke.
A double plus fries and a drink from 5 guys is what, 2500 calories? That's a ton of food.

I pay $10 for a lunch a lot... usually more when I'm entertaiing a client.

$10 for a burger and fries in a non-chain restaurant more times than not puts any place on the list above to shame.

The only time I ever eat at the places on the list is when I'm in a hurry and because these places pay a ridiculous amount for prime locations they save me time.

You're not paying the the quality of what you're eating. You're paying for the real estate. Get off the beaten path, and you'll find much better $10 burgers and fries.

Another issue with FiveGuys is the amount of decisions you have to make when ordering. You're just regaining your composure from being screamed at after walking in the door. You order order a Cheeseburger and they ask you if you want a regular cheeseburger or a little cheeseburger. "I want a regular one." Well, the regular one is actually 2 patties and the little one is actually regular size. That's too much math going on right there. I just want to order a burger. Then they ask you what you want on it and they point up to the menu where there's a list of about 75 condiments. So you have to go one by one and think would that taste good on a burger. On top of that you have to consider if the condiment you're currently deciding on will go well what you've already selected. Then when you've finally gotten through all that some guy looks at you and asks "Peanuts?" Say what?

At In'n'Out it's "double-double animal style." Simple. Nobody yelling at you when you walk in because you never leave the car. When the drive thru line gets long (which is always) they have a someone working the line taking orders on the In'n'Out Ipad (that they've used since before Ipads where even invented) about 10 cars before you even get to the regular spot to order. Winner In'n'Out.

Another issue with FiveGuys is the amount of decisions you have to make when ordering. You're just regaining your composure from being screamed at after walking in the door. You order order a Cheeseburger and they ask you if you want a regular cheeseburger or a little cheeseburger. "I want a regular one." Well, the regular one is actually 2 patties and the little one is actually regular size. That's too much math going on right there. I just want to order a burger. Then they ask you what you want on it and they point up to the menu where there's a list of about 75 condiments. So you have to go one by one and think would that taste good on a burger. On top of that you have to consider if the condiment you're currently deciding on will go well what you've already selected. Then when you've finally gotten through all that some guy looks at you and asks "Peanuts?" Say what?

At In'n'Out it's "double-double animal style." Simple. Nobody yelling at you when you walk in because you never leave the car. When the drive thru line gets long (which is always) they have a someone working the line taking orders on the In'n'Out Ipad (that they've used since before Ipads where even invented) about 10 cars before you even get to the regular spot to order. Winner In'n'Out.
I use the ordering app, put everything I want on it, walk in and say 'Web Order for Henry Ford" and they give me my food.

Cheeseburger All the way, no mushroom, regular cry, cup for water :shrug:

I don't understand this... What are you getting for $10?
Just some of the better options:

*A comparable burger, plus homemade onion rings and a shake at a local mom-and-pop burger joint.

*A giant burrito from Moe's or Qdoba, or better yet a local Mexican place.

*Popeye's.

*Takeout from a local Chinese or Thai place.

*A small pizza from either Jet's or a local place. If time is an issue they sell by the slice during the day.

*There's a local BBQ joint that does rib tips for like $8.

*I've been to sub places that are better than Five Guys but don't have one near me now.

Any of that is equal or better food for equal or less money. And I'm only including stuff I can get quickly.

A double plus fries and a drink from 5 guys is what, 2500 calories? That's a ton of food.
I can't imagine getting double plus fries. Their smallest size, can't remember what it's called, feeds like 8 people.

It's a ton of food, but about 2% of it is actually meat.

5 Guys got my vote on both ends of this.

Has to be a joke anyone could choose a McDonalds or White Castle over them for the burgers.5 Guys has always been a great go to place for a good burger,can't recall ever getting a bad one.

Fries win because of the peanut oil and amount you get.

Biggest issue with Five Guys is their insistence on murdering the burger. There's well done and there's overcooked and while I don't mind Five Guys, i'd probably really like it if the burger were not so dry (other than grease) because its overdone/

Biggest issue with Five Guys is their insistence on murdering the burger. There's well done and there's overcooked and while I don't mind Five Guys, i'd probably really like it if the burger were not so dry (other than grease) because its overdone/
My local doesn't have this problem. I would have votes differently if the burger were always burned.

My local doesn't have this problem. I would have votes differently if the burger were always burned.
Never had this problem either and I have been to several of the stores around the area here.

Never had this problem either and I have been to several of the stores around the area here.
Odd, maybe it's the area franchisee, but I swear all three time's I've been, in different locations, its been the same. They even had a sign (basically saying we ain't cooking your #### less than well)

BK used to have my favorite fries until they changed them a couple years ago. Ollllllld school Wendy's had by far the best waffle fries.

Bingo!

Odd, maybe it's the area franchisee, but I swear all three time's I've been, in different locations, its been the same. They even had a sign (basically saying we ain't cooking your #### less than well)
I would ask the manager to help you out if that's the case and see what he/she could do?

Me too, and in multiple states. I try to get one for good luck after a hearing when a judge doesn't rule from the bench.

Four different states, at least seven stores, never had a burnt one.

But the difference Short Round is that In N Out uses real meat and potatoes. When you factor in you get it all for about and sometimes less than McD/BK/Wen/5G, it just doesn't make sense what you posted. I still would rather have a mom n pop burger but given the choices In n Out is way better and if there's a problem they will fix it right away. I like to bash the Christians at times but this is a Christian based owner much like Chik Fil A and for whatever reason they have a standard that I wish others would follow.

But the difference Short Round is that In N Out uses real meat and potatoes. When you factor in you get it all for about and sometimes less than McD/BK/Wen/5G, it just doesn't make sense what you posted. I still would rather have a mom n pop burger but given the choices In n Out is way better and if there's a problem they will fix it right away. I like to bash the Christians at times but this is a Christian based owner much like Chik Fil A and for whatever reason they have a standard that I wish others would follow.
Five Guys also uses real meat and potatoes.

I will even go as far to say I would take a Bacon Cheese Dog from Five Guys over some of the choices in this poll.

LOL at comparing a place in 47 states with a place in 5 states.

I've been to 40 states and never seen a Checkers.

I never got the hate for In'n'out fries. They are what they are. No frills. Just potato sliced, fried and lightly salted. Most of the other ones are processed and coated before they get to the restaurant. The few times I've had 5Guys fries they were way undercooked. Starchy, greasy, non-crispy. The burger at 5Guys is OK but a lot has to do with that super soft egg bun. In'n'Out wins every time because it's constantly great and half the price. No stench, no crazy people yelling at you when you walk in, no peanuts. You never have to get out of your car. The only downside to in'n'out is it's always mobbed.
fries at In N Out are garbage. wouldn't feed them to my dog.

I never got the hate for In'n'out fries. They are what they are. No frills. Just potato sliced, fried and lightly salted. Most of the other ones are processed and coated before they get to the restaurant. The few times I've had 5Guys fries they were way undercooked. Starchy, greasy, non-crispy. The burger at 5Guys is OK but a lot has to do with that super soft egg bun. In'n'Out wins every time because it's constantly great and half the price. No stench, no crazy people yelling at you when you walk in, no peanuts. You never have to get out of your car. The only downside to in'n'out is it's always mobbed.
fries at In N Out are garbage. wouldn't feed them to my dog.
:honda:

Users who are viewing this thread