What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The force of nature that is Taylor Swift - New Album coming April 2024 (1 Viewer)

Even more so as she just came downstairs saying TS dropped a surprise 15 more songs at 2am...a surprise double album.
The force of nature seems to be pretty accurate...that or an extremely crazy person who is addicted to the work of it all. Given how much music she has put out over the last 2 years plus touring all over. Pretty nuts.
I put it on when it dropped. I fell asleep half way, but I liked what I heard.
So now that it's been out a few weeks, what are your thoughts?
Even more so as she just came downstairs saying TS dropped a surprise 15 more songs at 2am...a surprise double album.
The force of nature seems to be pretty accurate...that or an extremely crazy person who is addicted to the work of it all. Given how much music she has put out over the last 2 years plus touring all over. Pretty nuts.
It is similar to Midnights sound wise, but I'm gonna need more time to figure out what's what. Ask me in ninety days, lol.

It is similar to Midnights sound wise, but I'm gonna need more time to figure out what's what. Ask me in ninety days, lol.
I don't agree with that at all; I think it sounds pretty different from Midnights relatively speaking. It could be argued that are both are pretty synth-driven, but the choice of synth tones on the two album are pretty different, as are the styles. Plus, TTPD has a lot more guitar on it than Midnights, which barely had any. (talking the main discs in both cases)

The Anthology disc of TTPD (disc 2 - the extra 15 songs) is more or less the last chapter in the trilogy started by Folklore and Evermore, only this one is far very summery than the first two. Folklore was more like autumn, while Evermore is very much a winter record. The Anthology disc of TTPD just feels like a major summer record.

I look forward to your feedback in 90s days. :P

Guys, there's nothing to 'get'. It's music. Art. Either you like it, don't like it or are ambivalent about it. If she's not your cup of tea, that's okay. There's plenty of popular artists, shows, movies, etc that I 'don't get'. It's all good.
Truth. If someone doesn't get or like her music, there is nothing you, I or anyone can say that will convince them. Plenty of people do like her music. Many do not, and that's cool, too. It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Fortunately, there is a lot of music out there, and there is something for everyone.

As for the new album, it is a grower, but mostly pretty excellent. With 31 songs, it is lot to get into at once, and there are some songs that have already fallen into the skip category for me, but it's not that I think they are bad; there are just others I want to hear right now. The big pop hooks are mostly absent, so it can take a handful of dedicated listens to really get what is going on. There is a lot of variety and plenty of new, different stuff for her. Because of the scope and sprawling nature of it, this is like her White Album.
I am finding that there are probably around a dozen songs that are a bit too much lyrically driven and are missing something. I can understand the sentiment that some people have that they sound similar. I may change my mind on these, but they are skips for me right now.

She still has a lot of great songs though. On my first listen I really enjoyed 'But Daddy, I Love Him'. It had a bit of that old Taylor sound to it.

Guys, there's nothing to 'get'. It's music. Art. Either you like it, don't like it or are ambivalent about it. If she's not your cup of tea, that's okay. There's plenty of popular artists, shows, movies, etc that I 'don't get'. It's all good.
Truth. If someone doesn't get or like her music, there is nothing you, I or anyone can say that will convince them. Plenty of people do like her music. Many do not, and that's cool, too. It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Fortunately, there is a lot of music out there, and there is something for everyone.

As for the new album, it is a grower, but mostly pretty excellent. With 31 songs, it is lot to get into at once, and there are some songs that have already fallen into the skip category for me, but it's not that I think they are bad; there are just others I want to hear right now. The big pop hooks are mostly absent, so it can take a handful of dedicated listens to really get what is going on. There is a lot of variety and plenty of new, different stuff for her. Because of the scope and sprawling nature of it, this is like her White Album.
I'm there with you on the new album. At first listen, I wasn't really digging it (admittedly, it was on while I was in my office, so I wasn't able to pay close attention). Listened to it a second time and thought it pretty-much sounded the same. Nothing was really jumping out at me. Then on Threads, I was reading a couple posts about Swifties favorite songs on TTPD and I started checking them out in smaller batches. Melodies were becoming familiar. And I started really liking a lot of the songs. Like you said, 31 songs is a lot to absorb. Now that I'm fairly familiar with most of the songs, I have between 15-20 that I rotate. Back in the day, they called extra songs, "filler". Songs artists would throw together to fill out an album. Since Swift's songs are all basically a diary entry, I doubt she would consider any of them to be filler, but this album would have been up there with her best if she would have trimmed it by about 10 songs.

I'm there with you on the new album. At first listen, I wasn't really digging it (admittedly, it was on while I was in my office, so I wasn't able to pay close attention). Listened to it a second time and thought it pretty-much sounded the same. Nothing was really jumping out at me. Then on Threads, I was reading a couple posts about Swifties favorite songs on TTPD and I started checking them out in smaller batches. Melodies were becoming familiar. And I started really liking a lot of the songs. Like you said, 31 songs is a lot to absorb. Now that I'm fairly familiar with most of the songs, I have between 15-20 that I rotate. Back in the day, they called extra songs, "filler". Songs artists would throw together to fill out an album. Since Swift's songs are all basically a diary entry, I doubt she would consider any of them to be filler, but this album would have been up there with her best if she would have trimmed it by about 10 songs.
I find this works best at the start with any album that is long (say, 60+ minutes). And with a 2-hour album, it definitely makes it a lot easier to work on chunks of songs at a time rather than trying to tackle the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread