What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Jake Locker Hype Train (1 Viewer)

gheemony

Footballguy
One of the great things about the Shark Pool is strong takes backed up by facts. This is not one of those threads ... yet. I've been working on a write-up and a collection of links regarding Jake Locker and wanted it get it out before his first game so no one could say I was jumping on the train late. But with a day job and preparing for fantasy leagues, time ran out. Especially because I need to finish work and pack for my flight to Provo for tomorrow's game. Woo hoo!

Short Take: I think he's a freakish athlete whose development has been held back by (1) playing in an option offense in high school, (2) playing for a horrible coach (Willingham) and bad team early in is college career, and (3) getting injured and missing much of a season in college. He showed great improvement under Sarkisian last year and I think we'll see great strides from him this year. I think he'll show that he deserves to be considered the best college football player in the country, but may not get consideration because this team is unlikely to be playing in a BCS bowl. I think a good comparison is Steve Young. A dual-threat QB that will take some time to develop (remember Young went USFL, Tampa, behind Montana, then MVP, and then HOF). For fantasy, I think you'll have to be patient at first, but the reward will be great. Last point: the kid's intangibles are off-the-charts! If Tebow's intangibles moved him into the first round, then Locker's should move him to #1 overall. The kid is a great leader and great person.

Food for thought: Here's a article talking about similarities between Locker and Carson Palmer in their development.

I hope this train ride lasts more than one stop ... all aboard!

Here are my thoughts from a previous thread you started on the same topic earlier this year. Not sure why a new thread was needed.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...&p=11767481

I think Jake Locker has Steve Young potential. He has Tebow intangibles and physical skills that are unmatched (his combine numbers would be insane). His stats don't look good because he played in a wacky offense with bad coaching before Sark showed up. He'll prove people wrong.

I think he's going to be a Heisman finalist and will be a no brainer first overall pick. Mid-way through the season, we'll be talking about how the worst NFL teams are playing for the right to draft Jake.
This feels a bit over the top. I don't think I can ever remember these sort of comments about even the greatest quarterback prospects since I've been a fan of football and the NFL draft in the early 80s. In my opinion the greatest prospects coming out of college since I've followed the draft were John Elway and Payton Manning.I hope Locker becomes a success. I think it would be cool if he has a great senior season and resurrects the UW Husky program. I'm a fan. I watched him play in high school. I watched just about everyone one of his college games. Here's my opinion on Locker as a quarterback.

POSITIVES:

Character. They rarely come as a better kid. I've talked to several of his teachers from Ferndale High School. They only had glowing comments of him as a person, student, and athlete. Really has an "aw schucks" humble quality, but also a fiery competitive spirit. There will be no doubt that he will work hard, study, and learn the game to whatever level is possible.

Athleticism. When Willingham was still at UW they had a favorite play. It was simply called "Go Jake Go". They ran that pay a lot, and with success because he's so damned fast.

Arm strength. More than adequate. He can zing it. The first time I saw him throw a pass in high school my jaw dropped. I had never seen that from a high school kid. Never. Laser beam. His ability to "throw the entire passing tree" won't be questioned.

NEGATIVES:

Accuracy. His completion percentage isn't what people would hope for, and I don't blame his surrounding talent. He has had a tendency to float a lot of high passes when trying to drill it into tighter windows. Also, his deep balls have often missed by a long way when trying to lead go routes.

Sacks. For a kid that is so athletic, he sure had taken a lot of sacks over the past few years. Sure, he's trying to make plays, but those giant negative plays really kill drives when he could throw the ball away and dial up another.

I'm pulling for him to be successful, but I'm not delusional to the point to think that he's an Elway or Manning type prospect. Perhaps not even a Drew Bledsoe, Heath Shuler, or Tim Couch. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Andrew Luck ranked higher because I think he's a better and more natural pure passer, but Locker is a great athlete who will most likely be a top 5 draft pick in 2011. If he can become a more accurate and consistent passer, the sky is the limit.

I'm on board, though at the rate we're going, we're going to have to start the hype trains when these guys are being recruited to college.

Here are my thoughts from a previous thread you started on the same topic earlier this year. Not sure why a new thread was needed.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...&p=11767481

I think Jake Locker has Steve Young potential. He has Tebow intangibles and physical skills that are unmatched (his combine numbers would be insane). His stats don't look good because he played in a wacky offense with bad coaching before Sark showed up. He'll prove people wrong.

I think he's going to be a Heisman finalist and will be a no brainer first overall pick. Mid-way through the season, we'll be talking about how the worst NFL teams are playing for the right to draft Jake.
This feels a bit over the top. I don't think I can ever remember these sort of comments about even the greatest quarterback prospects since I've been a fan of football and the NFL draft in the early 80s. In my opinion the greatest prospects coming out of college since I've followed the draft were John Elway and Payton Manning.I hope Locker becomes a success. I think it would be cool if he has a great senior season and resurrects the UW Husky program. I'm a fan. I watched him play in high school. I watched just about everyone one of his college games. Here's my opinion on Locker as a quarterback.

POSITIVES:

Character. They rarely come as a better kid. I've talked to several of his teachers from Ferndale High School. They only had glowing comments of him as a person, student, and athlete. Really has an "aw schucks" humble quality, but also a fiery competitive spirit. There will be no doubt that he will work hard, study, and learn the game to whatever level is possible.

Athleticism. When Willingham was still at UW they had a favorite play. It was simply called "Go Jake Go". They ran that pay a lot, and with success because he's so damned fast.

Arm strength. More than adequate. He can zing it. The first time I saw him throw a pass in high school my jaw dropped. I had never seen that from a high school kid. Never. Laser beam. His ability to "throw the entire passing tree" won't be questioned.

NEGATIVES:

Accuracy. His completion percentage isn't what people would hope for, and I don't blame his surrounding talent. He has had a tendency to float a lot of high passes when trying to drill it into tighter windows. Also, his deep balls have often missed by a long way when trying to lead go routes.

Sacks. For a kid that is so athletic, he sure had taken a lot of sacks over the past few years. Sure, he's trying to make plays, but those giant negative plays really kill drives when he could throw the ball away and dial up another.

I'm pulling for him to be successful, but I'm not delusional to the point to think that he's an Elway or Manning type prospect. Perhaps not even a Drew Bledsoe, Heath Shuler, or Tim Couch. Time will tell.
I loved your post the first time, and glad you reposted in this thread. I thought a separate thread from the rest of the 2011 QB class was warranted. Time permitting, I hope to keep it up to date with Locker specific info and discussion.Go Dawgs!

Update after two games.

WK 1 @ BYU 20-37-266 1 TD 0 INT 1 SACKS

WK 2 vs SYR 22-33-289 4 TD 0 INT 0 SACKS

I've seen a drastic improvement in the decision making. He's purposefully throwing the ball away or into the ground to avoid sacks. In the past this has been a serious problem. He would try to keep a play alive way too long, but there have been several plays so far this season where he has made better choices. Only one sack so far and no turnovers is a positive sign.

He's driving the 15 yard out and other throws to the sidelines. Deep balls have been few, so its tough to grade him there so far. WR Kearse made two nice plays on the sidelines today turning short throws into longer TDs that improved his stat line.

He had one specific play today that I would count as a negative. He had WR cutting to the sideline in the front of the endzone to this right from about 20 yards out. Locker had a chance to step into a throw and drill another TD, but the pass rush forced him to lean back away from the pressure causing him to float the pass high. My evaluation is probably a bit harsh, but it was certainly an opportunity to "stare down the gun barrel" and make an impressive throw. It didn't happen this time, but I will be sure to watch for similar chances through the season.

His footwork in the pocket is solid and he's keeping his eyes down field, but that's not much of a challenge when you're facing a light pass rush like he has from BYU and SYR. He has a small hitch in his delivery, but its not bad. He does a good job of carrying the ball high while in the pocket near his chin. The hitch is a small dip before he lets fire. The ball comes right off his ear. Its nothing like the wind mill you get with a Leftwich.

I will try to provide more updates during the season.

I'm on board, though at the rate we're going, we're going to have to start the hype trains when these guys are being recruited to college.
Uh, many hype trains are started at that point.Peterson, Stafford, Devine, to name a few.

I have Andrew Luck ranked higher because I think he's a better and more natural pure passer, but Locker is a great athlete who will most likely be a top 5 draft pick in 2011. If he can become a more accurate and consistent passer, the sky is the limit.
Not saying your wrong EBF because right now it's all opinion but most of the so called experts have been saying Luck is a much better college Qb but that Locker is going to be a better pro. I like both and if I had to choose I would first want to see where each one went. One of the reasons I passed on Stafford was because he went to the Lions and I'm not a fan of the Oline but I took Bradford this year because I like the coach and the Oline more but talent wise they are close IMO.

Not saying your wrong EBF because right now it's all opinion but most of the so called experts have been saying Luck is a much better college Qb but that Locker is going to be a better pro. I like both and if I had to choose I would first want to see where each one went. One of the reasons I passed on Stafford was because he went to the Lions and I'm not a fan of the Oline but I took Bradford this year because I like the coach and the Oline more but talent wise they are close IMO.
Man, I would have to go the other way.Luck is younger and plays in a more balanced offense. And he has a bigger arm for sure. Locker seems to me to be a better runner but Luck a better pure pocket passer.

I'm not getting the Locker love :shrug:
im not getting what there isnt to love. he has the whole package. sure he needs to work on his completion percentage (or does some of this have to do with the talent around him?) one thing the scouts like is how he has progressed in one year under a ''qb coach''.

Luck is younger and plays in a more balanced offense.
I wouldn't classify the Husky offense as imbalanced. They don't play out of the spread, and its not a run first mentality. When Sarkisian was hired it turned into more traditional pro-set approach. So far this season the Huskies have 72 pass attempts and 64 rushing attempts. So far this season the Cardinal have 48 pass attempts and 84 rushing attempts. In 2009 UW had 396 pass attempts and 387 rush attempts.In 2009 Stanford had 312 pass attempts and 527 rush attempts.Stanford doesn't appear to be more balanced based on these statistics. In face, I would say quite the opposite is true of these two programs.

Watched both games.

GOOD: can make NFL throws, especially the 15-yard out. He made one yesterday from the opposite hashmarks. He also made a great throw on third down while running to his left. Great accuracy on certain throws (only receiver can make a play), but he does sail a few balls. Few bad decisions.

BAD: BYU rushed only 3 quite a few times a Locker didn't exploit it. I think this shows his lack of experience, rather than lack of ability. If he had been running this system longer, I think he would have been better prepared to exploit. This fits with my theory that he'll need some time to develop. The other downer is the lack of explosive running plays. I think this is because of the defensive schemes and not Jake. But it makes me temper his fantasy football value as he won't put Mike Vick type running numbers. On the other hand, it tells me he is Learning to be a pocket-passer, who will have Young, McNair, VY type escapability for big plays on occasion.

The Heisman hype should end because his team is not good enough ... Unless they win the next two games against USC and Nebraska.

Interesting to compare with Andrew Luck. Luck tore up Sac State, but his stats show a less accurate game yesterday. Didn't see either, so don't know real details.

P.S. Put "the other Jake" on your radars: Jake Heaps of BYU. He looks really poised. Wouldn't be shocked If had pinball like numbers by the end of his college career. I don't know enough about him to say whether he's a pro prospect.

I'm not getting the Locker love :cry:
In the northwest (where I'm obviously from) we're glad to have the feeling of a resurgent UW football program. QB Jake Locker and head coach Steve Sarkisian are primarily responsible for this. I completely understand if people on the east coast could give a rip about our program. Much bigger deal to us.Locker is an odd combination of athleticism. He ran for 986 yards in a run first offense as a red-shirt freshman. Head coach Ty Willingham's favorite play was called "Go Jake Go". I kid you not. He took the snap in shotgun and took off. The kid is freaky fast. A comparison to Michael Vick is not unfair, but Locker has never shown the lateral movement that Vick flashed. Locker is just straight up fast.Now with Sarkisian calling the plays in a pro-style offense we get to see Locker attempt to evolve into a pocket passer. He led the Pac-10 in offense last year in his junior season throwing for 2800 yards while still running for 388 more. That combination of numbers alone warrants some "love", or as least a longer look when evaluating his prospects.Around these parts (I work in a school district that borders the one where he attended public school) people are completely ga-ga over his abilities and potential. Suggesting that he isn't the locked-down #1 pick in next years draft in this county will get you the stink-eye quicker than you can say grande vanilla non-fat latte. I like to think that I'm a bit more critical of his talent. I'm specifically looking for flaws in his mechanics that are going to make scouts think twice. I like to think that this "love" you are asking about isn't so much love, but intrigue. We have an athletic young quarterback that thrived in a run first (and run second) offense straight out of the 1950s. That same quarterback has now been placed in an advanced pro-style offense and is still thriving, but to be fair we have to qualify it by saying that he's still evolving as a passer. Really now, this is his second year being relied on a as traditional pocket passer. In high school I watched him pound younger kids in a variation of the wing-T. Long term? What's his potential? We still don't know. But to not at least be intrigued has to be short sighted and/or biased for some reason.Jason, I have a question for you. How much have you seen him play? I would assume not that much. If you're at all interested I would seek out opinions from people that you respect that have seen him evolve since his freshman season.

I'll be attending next week's game in Seattle. It will be interesting to see how he handles the challenges presented by Nebraska's secondary and pass rush. Time for some big-boy football, Mr. Locker.

I'm not getting the Locker love :goodposting:
im not getting what there isnt to love. he has the whole package. sure he needs to work on his completion percentage (or does some of this have to do with the talent around him?) one thing the scouts like is how he has progressed in one year under a ''qb coach''.
I don't think its fair to downgrade his numbers based on his surrounding talent. I believe he's had above average talent at the skill positions. Further, I won't be surprised to see RB Chris Polk or WR Jermaine Kearse playing on Sundays some day. Perhaps not starring, but at least on a roster.I believe the largest factor that led to a decline in the Husky football program has been an inability to recruit the big nasties. We haven't sniffed anything resembling a Steve Emtman or Lincoln Kennedy in a long time.

Jason, another question. Are there specific things you've witnessed in Locker's game that makes you hesitate to give him your stamp of approval? I mentioned a few items above. His tendency to float balls high and not step into throws when facing pressure is a giant red flag so far, but I'm willing to see if he improves during his senior season before I write him his pro potential.

I'm not getting the Locker love :bag:
In the northwest (where I'm obviously from) we're glad to have the feeling of a resurgent UW football program. QB Jake Locker and head coach Steve Sarkisian are primarily responsible for this. I completely understand if people on the east coast could give a rip about our program. Much bigger deal to us.Locker is an odd combination of athleticism. He ran for 986 yards in a run first offense as a red-shirt freshman. Head coach Ty Willingham's favorite play was called "Go Jake Go". I kid you not. He took the snap in shotgun and took off. The kid is freaky fast. A comparison to Michael Vick is not unfair, but Locker has never shown the lateral movement that Vick flashed. Locker is just straight up fast.Now with Sarkisian calling the plays in a pro-style offense we get to see Locker attempt to evolve into a pocket passer. He led the Pac-10 in offense last year in his junior season throwing for 2800 yards while still running for 388 more. That combination of numbers alone warrants some "love", or as least a longer look when evaluating his prospects.Around these parts (I work in a school district that borders the one where he attended public school) people are completely ga-ga over his abilities and potential. Suggesting that he isn't the locked-down #1 pick in next years draft in this county will get you the stink-eye quicker than you can say grande vanilla non-fat latte. I like to think that I'm a bit more critical of his talent. I'm specifically looking for flaws in his mechanics that are going to make scouts think twice. I like to think that this "love" you are asking about isn't so much love, but intrigue. We have an athletic young quarterback that thrived in a run first (and run second) offense straight out of the 1950s. That same quarterback has now been placed in an advanced pro-style offense and is still thriving, but to be fair we have to qualify it by saying that he's still evolving as a passer. Really now, this is his second year being relied on a as traditional pocket passer. In high school I watched him pound younger kids in a variation of the wing-T. Long term? What's his potential? We still don't know. But to not at least be intrigued has to be short sighted and/or biased for some reason.Jason, I have a question for you. How much have you seen him play? I would assume not that much. If you're at all interested I would seek out opinions from people that you respect that have seen him evolve since his freshman season.
Hey Dave,You're certainly right that I don't get to see Locker much on TV as an East Coast guy, and obviously his progression under Sarkisian is what has him projected as a top NFL draft option. I've seen him two or three times and, if he continues to progress, I'll soften up but right now I see the next in a long line of ridiculously athletic guys that don't have the decision making or mechanics to flourish in the NFL.

Man, I would have to go the other way.
Me too.Why are people excited about Locker? Because he's a rare physical specimen whose combination of size, strength, mobility, arm, and toughness suggests that he has a huge ceiling if he can polish his pure passing skills.

Why are people excited about Luck? Because he demonstrates elite mental intangibles for the position and offers enough size/arm/mobility to become an upper echelon NFL QB. No one questions his pure passing skills. They just want to see him do it over an extended sample size so they know he's not a fluke.

Look at the dominant NFL QBs. Brady. Manning. Brees. Roethlisberger. McNabb. Rodgers. Romo.

Are these guys freak athletes? By and large, the answer is no (we'll forget about McNabb when he was 25). Succeeding as an NFL QB is about staying poised in the pocket, making the correct read, and delivering an accurate football. That's it. If you can do those things at an elite level and you meet the bare minimum athletic requirements, you can be an elite NFL QB.

Qualities like speed and power are desirable, but they are neither necessary nor sufficient for success at the QB position in the NFL. Succeeding as an NFL QB is primarily mental and yet we consistently see teams overrated prospects with suspect mental qualities because they possess elite physical tools (Boller, Losman, JaMarcus, Akili, Leaf).

Don't be fooled. Locker and Luck are both good runners, but this ability will largely be negated in the NFL where the LBs and DEs will have the speed to run them down. Their mobility will not determine whether or not they'll succeed. Their pure passing ability will. Who's a better pure passer? It's early, but my money is on Luck. I'd say the things he does well translate to the NFL better than the things Locker does well.

Never believe that a guy like Terrelle Pryor, Pat White, Vince Young, or Jake Locker is going to "revolutionize the NFL" with his mobility. Ain't gonna happen. If you can't thrown, you will not be a successful NFL QB. About the only exception is Michael Vick and his running skills were truly "once in a generation." Even then, he wasn't exactly a consistent Pro Bowler at the NFL level. Once teams started taking away his running, he became pretty pedestrian.

Passing. Passing. Passing. That's what it's all about. Don't forget the lesson of Brees/Brady/Peyton (all terrible runners).

EBF said:
Man, I would have to go the other way.
Me too.Why are people excited about Locker? Because he's a rare physical specimen whose combination of size, strength, mobility, arm, and toughness suggests that he has a huge ceiling if he can polish his pure passing skills.

Why are people excited about Luck? Because he demonstrates elite mental intangibles for the position and offers enough size/arm/mobility to become an upper echelon NFL QB. No one questions his pure passing skills. They just want to see him do it over an extended sample size so they know he's not a fluke.

Look at the dominant NFL QBs. Brady. Manning. Brees. Roethlisberger. McNabb. Rodgers. Romo.

Are these guys freak athletes? By and large, the answer is no (we'll forget about McNabb when he was 25). Succeeding as an NFL QB is about staying poised in the pocket, making the correct read, and delivering an accurate football. That's it. If you can do those things at an elite level and you meet the bare minimum athletic requirements, you can be an elite NFL QB.

Qualities like speed and power are desirable, but they are neither necessary nor sufficient for success at the QB position in the NFL. Succeeding as an NFL QB is primarily mental and yet we consistently see teams overrated prospects with suspect mental qualities because they possess elite physical tools (Boller, Losman, JaMarcus, Akili, Leaf).

Don't be fooled. Locker and Luck are both good runners, but this ability will largely be negated in the NFL where the LBs and DEs will have the speed to run them down. Their mobility will not determine whether or not they'll succeed. Their pure passing ability will. Who's a better pure passer? It's early, but my money is on Luck. I'd say the things he does well translate to the NFL better than the things Locker does well.

Never believe that a guy like Terrelle Pryor, Pat White, Vince Young, or Jake Locker is going to "revolutionize the NFL" with his mobility. Ain't gonna happen. If you can't thrown, you will not be a successful NFL QB. About the only exception is Michael Vick and his running skills were truly "once in a generation." Even then, he wasn't exactly a consistent Pro Bowler at the NFL level. Once teams started taking away his running, he became pretty pedestrian.

Passing. Passing. Passing. That's what it's all about. Don't forget the lesson of Brees/Brady/Peyton (all terrible runners).
Not surprisingly, EBF did a far better job of articulating why I'm very much in skeptic camp when it comes to Locker. Let someone else "revolutionize" the position, and give me a guy that can throw the ball quickly, accurately and decisively.

P.S. Put "the other Jake" on your radars: Jake Heaps of BYU. He looks really poised. Wouldn't be shocked If had pinball like numbers by the end of his college career. I don't know enough about him to say whether he's a pro prospect.
On Heaps, he was considered a top recruit (I think Steele had him ranked as the #2 QB in the nation, but I could be misremembering). He is just a true freshman and is splitting time with Riley Nelson.Heaps will probably be out the next two years on mission. So, you may have to wait until 2013 for the hype train to really get going on Heaps.

Oh boy. I can't wait to see this train de-railed next Saturday when Bo and the boys pull into town. Not to say Locker isn't a stud in the making, but this could be ugly. Idaho had a kid that was pretty hyped coming into Lincoln last Saturday, some were saying top 5 QB next year in the draft, Nathan Enderle. After 5 picks and some brutal sacks, he had had enough and got pulled, only to have the backup come in and get donkey punched for the rest of the game.

A bit of smack talk here, and might be a bit out of line, but I guess we will see next Saturday. Gosh, I love football season!

Oh boy. I can't wait to see this train de-railed next Saturday when Bo and the boys pull into town. Not to say Locker isn't a stud in the making, but this could be ugly. Idaho had a kid that was pretty hyped coming into Lincoln last Saturday, some were saying top 5 QB next year in the draft, Nathan Enderle. After 5 picks and some brutal sacks, he had had enough and got pulled, only to have the backup come in and get donkey punched for the rest of the game. A bit of smack talk here, and might be a bit out of line, but I guess we will see next Saturday. Gosh, I love football season!
The difference is that Idaho is a bottom of the barrel team whereas Washington plays in an elite BCS conference. Washington will have much better athletes than Idaho across the board. Locker has played well against teams like Cal and USC. He won't be intimidated by Nebraska. This doesn't mean that he's going to play well or that the Huskies are going to win, but it's not like Nebraska is a huge step up from his usual competition (which was definitely the case for Idaho).

Idaho was 8-5 with a bowl victory last year. Sure they are inferior, but not bottom of the barrel. And, I don't know that I would call the Pac 10 elite either. They are below the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12. Right above the WAC if you ask most people.

Don't get me wrong though, I like Locker quite a bit as a prototype NFL quarterback. Just couldn't resist a little Husker Power for the upcoming game.

Idaho was 8-5 with a bowl victory last year. Sure they are inferior, but not bottom of the barrel. And, I don't know that I would call the Pac 10 elite either. They are below the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12. Right above the WAC if you ask most people.
I did not watch the Idaho-Nebraska game, but I think Washington's O-line will be "a step" above Idaho's. Nebraska's great at putting pressure on the QB, there's no question about that. I think putting Enderle as a Top 5 QB in the draft class is a bit generous, but I think even Peyton Manning would struggle if he had the Idaho OL blocking for him against Nebraska (Idaho was 8-5 last season, but they did lose 4 starters on their OL, including Iupati).

Idaho has one of the biggest O lines in the country, avg 334 across the front. Doesn't mean they are good I guess, but they are big. I can't believe I am defending Idaho!

:hophead:

Locker with a brutal day against Nebraska. Currently 4/17 for 70 yards 1 TD and 2 INTs.

I watched bits and pieces of the first half while flipping between several games. He just doesn't look that good in the passing game. Always seems uncomfortable in the pocket. Always eager to take off running.

Mallett and Luck are going to lap him at this rate.

:tfp: Locker with a brutal day against Nebraska. Currently 4/17 for 70 yards 1 TD and 2 INTs. I watched bits and pieces of the first half while flipping between several games. He just doesn't look that good in the passing game. Always seems uncomfortable in the pocket. Always eager to take off running. Mallett and Luck are going to lap him at this rate.
Im not a huge college fan, but did hear on ESPN that NEB was going to be the toughest D Locker will face all year. Lots of NFL scouts were supposed to be at this game...

Never saw this coming.... :goodposting:

Mallett & Luck are going to be better at the NFL level. None are in the same stratosphere as Bradford is/was.

Good luck on this train boys.

Worst performance I've ever seen from him, and I've seen a lot.

-Floated several balls again today.

-Didn't make good decisions when under serious pressure. Perhaps the most he's ever seen.

I watched Mallett today, and he looked like an NFL franchise QB. Locker was very far from it.

He had one specific play today that I would count as a negative. He had WR cutting to the sideline in the front of the endzone to this right from about 20 yards out. Locker had a chance to step into a throw and drill another TD, but the pass rush forced him to lean back away from the pressure causing him to float the pass high. My evaluation is probably a bit harsh, but it was certainly an opportunity to "stare down the gun barrel" and make an impressive throw. It didn't happen this time, but I will be sure to watch for similar chances through the season.
Saw two specific instances of this again today. With the rush directly in his face he leaned back away from it trying to throw deep down field with ugly results.

Mallett & Luck are going to be better at the NFL level. None are in the same stratosphere as Bradford is/was.
I wouldn't say that just yet. There's a pretty good buzz around Luck. The jury's still out though because he simply hasn't played many games yet. I want to see him show poise in high pressure/clutch situations and consistent accuracy. If he can do those things, he can be the #1 overall pick whenever he declares. More passes like this one won't hurt his case:
The Wake Forest game will be on ESP2 and ESPN3 tonight at 8:10 PST. Good opportunity to see him play before high pressure tilts against Notre Dame, USC, and Oregon. Those games will tell us where Luck stands in the 2011/2012 draft picture.

Well, if you want to know Locker's downside, see the tape from today's game against Nebraska. Nebraska looked awesome on both sides of the ball, so they get a lot of credit. But I expext more out of a potential #1 overall NFL pick at QB. Stock takes a big hit. He has two weeks to prepare for USC. Let's see if he can show progress.

Atrocious. And I love Jake. I love the Dawgs. And that was beyond pathetic. I'm afraid Jake may have ended up costing himself millions of dollars. Not just because of today's game, but for the whole season. He hasn't looked good in one game, and I don't see how it's going to get any better. Very sad. He's a great kid. Very talented. I don't know what's going on this season. Hopefully he, and the Dawgs, can snap out of it.

Without going into the details of how brutal that was, since they've been for the most part covered, I will just say three things.

I'll be very surprised if Jake goes in the first round; I'll be more surprised if he is ever a starting QB in the NFL; I will not be at all surprised if he takes a stab at professional baseball at some point.

This was the game he needed to do something in because everyone was watching.

Full disclosure: I am a season ticket holder and Huskies fan, except when they face the UofA (alum).

Without going into the details of how brutal that was, since they've been for the most part covered, I will just say three things.

I'll be very surprised if Jake goes in the first round; I'll be more surprised if he is ever a starting QB in the NFL; I will not be at all surprised if he takes a stab at professional baseball at some point.

Full disclosure: I am a season ticket holder and Huskies fan, except when they face the UofA (alum).
His raw ability will get him drafted in the 1st round. If JaMarcus Russell can go #1 over all, Jake will go in the 1st rd. He'll be a combine darling.

His raw ability will get him drafted in the 1st round. If JaMarcus Russell can go #1 over all, Jake will go in the 1st rd. He'll be a combine darling.
Yeah, after Tebow last year I wouldn't be amazed, just surprised. Moreso if he ever plays meaningful games at QB. I suppose I could see him as some sort of wildcat hybrid type. But I don't know if it was just me or the fact Martinez was running circles around the D out there, but Jake looked hesitant and a bit slower today than usual. I wonder if the pressure is getting to him.

Yeah, well I can't say I'm surprised exactly. Not because I don't think Locker can be good, but because I didn't understand the presumption that he would evolve. It's not easy to become something new.

Does the result of this one game have to be one of two options?

a) Future #1 pick in NFL draft.

b) Completely sucks.

Isn't there some form of middle ground here? And isn't it possible this singular game will not totally determine his future one way or the other?

Does the result of this one game have to be one of two options?a) Future #1 pick in NFL draft.b) Completely sucks.Isn't there some form of middle ground here? And isn't it possible this singular game will not totally determine his future one way or the other?
He definitely does not suck. That's an absurd notion. He needs a little polish. He has the raw ability. And let's not get it twisted. He has NEVER been surrounded by superior talent, offensively or defensively. He has a nice RB in Polk, and a nice WR in Kearse. But the OL is average AT BEST, and the defense is below average and always has been. Put Locker on a team that has talent and things would look very different.

Problem is, he seems to be the same exact guy that he has always been: a great athlete with ho-hum QB skills. There has been no apparent development in his pocket presence, poise, accuracy, or decision making. This is his fourth season playing college football. At what point do you stop making excuses and start to accept the possibility that his passing ability might never grow to an NFL starter level? It's a long season and this will probably prove to be his low point, but right now he's looking more like the next Tarvaris Jackson than the next Steve Young.

Users who are viewing this thread