What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Jake Locker Hype Train (1 Viewer)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts...fense-7515.html

A little love where it’s due, with some tempered expectations

I know I have been one of Jake Locker’s biggest critics over the start of the season, but I do have to show him a little love for his final drive, a come from behind win vs. USC. He completed a big fourth-and-10 play (as awkward looking as it was) and bounced back on the road in a hostile environment. However, everything wasn’t peachy keen on Locker’s part as the one thing you notice when watching him play is that the guy is so much more effective and dynamic as a quarterback when asked to create with his legs and/or play outside the pocket.

When he isn’t forced to be a pocket passer, he seems to decipher info quicker and simply makes better decisions with the football. But, on the other hand, the more I watch him try to throw from the pocket, the less impressed I am with his game. Even simple throws at the second level are becoming a struggle, as I saw him miss a number of easy completions Saturday night, including an easy slant where the corner is in cover two playing with outside leverage and Locker just wasn’t accurate with the football, missing wide. Again, there is no denying how talented the guy is, but with question marks about his accuracy, intangibles and ability to be effective from the pocket, there’s just too many factors for me to grade this guy out as anything more than a potential starter who needs significant time to develop.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts...fense-7515.html

A little love where it’s due, with some tempered expectations

I know I have been one of Jake Locker’s biggest critics over the start of the season, but I do have to show him a little love for his final drive, a come from behind win vs. USC. He completed a big fourth-and-10 play (as awkward looking as it was) and bounced back on the road in a hostile environment. However, everything wasn’t peachy keen on Locker’s part as the one thing you notice when watching him play is that the guy is so much more effective and dynamic as a quarterback when asked to create with his legs and/or play outside the pocket.

When he isn’t forced to be a pocket passer, he seems to decipher info quicker and simply makes better decisions with the football. But, on the other hand, the more I watch him try to throw from the pocket, the less impressed I am with his game. Even simple throws at the second level are becoming a struggle, as I saw him miss a number of easy completions Saturday night, including an easy slant where the corner is in cover two playing with outside leverage and Locker just wasn’t accurate with the football, missing wide. Again, there is no denying how talented the guy is, but with question marks about his accuracy, intangibles and ability to be effective from the pocket, there’s just too many factors for me to grade this guy out as anything more than a potential starter who needs significant time to develop.
FWIW, Wes Bunting was kick ### last year too. I think he did a better job than either Kiper or Scouts.

Are we just supposed to delete the USC game from our memories?
Did he really do that much in one game to erase all the memories of the other games he's played this season? I think any and all Husky fans should adjust expectations and enjoy the rest of this season accordingly; perhaps Jake will give us a few more memories to hold onto. I've mentioned it before and it was half tongue in cheek, but I'm thinking more and more that Jake takes a stab at a career in baseball at some point. It may not be right away and it may come only after giving the NFL a real go, but I just don't see him making the adjustments necessary; I could see him adjusting to playing on a baseball diamond though.As far as PAC 10 QB's go, Locker is realistically middle of the pack in terms of production and NFL translatable skills. He is most definitely behind Luck and Foles (both JR's), but when all is said and done a few other current starters in the league may sneak past him. He should have left after last year.
just curious - why should I believe your assessment of Locker more than say... just about every NFL scout and talent evaluator? No seriously, what is is that you see that they don't or rather that you don't see that they do?ETA: full discosure: I'm a WSU grad.
I'm going off what I've seen so far this year; Jake has regressed this season. I'm sure the scouts are adjusting their ratings accordingly. I believe Wood has already addressed the Kiper's of the world. Full disclosure: I'm a Husky season ticket holder.

I'm going off what I've seen so far this year; Jake has regressed this season.
Is it regression or is it just an adjustment to his revised mechanics?
Po-tay-to, Pa-tah-to? Honestly, he never was a very accurate passer so maybe regression isn't the right term, but he seems less comfortable in the pocket this year. Maybe that has to do with something other than what is actually occurring on the field (Heisman hype, 1st pick chatter, etc.), but either way he just isn't currently ready for the NFL. He'll need time to develop and even after 2-3 years I still don't think he'll have what it takes to be a starting NFL QB. It may help him that he could fall far enough down in the first round that a team with a solid starter will draft him and give him the time he needs. Will that be enough? Maybe, but I am less than optimistic. The NFL is littered with stories of running QB's who were going to revolutionize the position that did not pan out. Think about the fact that very few college QB's with losing records go on to do much in the NFL. I was listening to a story on the radio the other day discussing this and it is remarkable how strong the correlation is between a successful college career and success in the NFL, and that is for guys that are better passers than Jake. Jay Cutler is about the only guy who comes from a losing background in college that has done much of anything in the pros, and some would argue that point.Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that the NFL advisory committee didn't give Jake a first round grade going into the last draft, despite what guys like Todd McShay were saying. McShay was wrong then, and I don't see how anything Locker's done to date has raised his status.

Jake Locker's Pac-10 rankings thus far:

Passing Yards Per Game: 8th

Total Yards Per Game: 7th

Completion %: 9th

Passer Rating: 9th

Passing TDs: 4th

Total TDs: 4th

Interceptions: 4th

Yards per Attempt: 9th

Sacks: 7th

I will give him credit for playing (allegedly) one of the toughest schedules in the nation........but most of the other Pac-10 quarterbacks have played similar schedules. I'm not sure how many more excuses Locker has left.

But hey, at least he'll be able to treasure those fond memories of his senior year of college, right???

Locker's updated Pac-10 rankings:

Passing Yards Per Game: 8th (was 8th)

Total Yards Per Game: 7th (was 7th)

Completion %: 10th (was 9th)

Passer Rating: 10th (was 9th)

Passing TDs per game: 7th (was 4th)

Total TDs: 4th (was 4th)

Interceptions: 4th (was 4th)

Yards per Attempt: 9th (was 9th)

Sacks: 5th (was 5th)

Tell me again why this guy is a 1st round 1st day pick? He is arguably the worst quarterback in the Pac-10. You can no longer give him a free pass for playing on a terrible team, since Washington already has 4 wins and only has to beat Cal to be bowl eligible for the first time since 2003.

Yes, they played a tough schedule. But Cal, Oregon State and Arizona State played similarly-tough schedules, and their quarterbacks have outplayed Locker by wide margins.

I see that Mel Kiper finally dropped Locker out of his Top-5, but not out of his Top-20. I feel sorry for the fans of any NFL team that spends a 1st round pick on this guy.

I think both of the hyped Seniors, Locker and Ponder, have both seen their draft stock plummet. Ponder doesn't appear to have an NFL caliber arm and he seems to be susceptible to shoulder problems which is a little scary when you make your living with your arm. Locker is the girl with the curl for me. I like what I see some of the time but he just doesn't do it with enough repeatability for my taste. He's also thrown in some real stinkers this year vs the better defenses on the schedule which is a little scary for me as well.

Locker's updated Pac-10 rankings:

Total TDs: 4th (was 4th)

Interceptions: 4th (was 4th)

Sacks: 5th (was 5th)

Tell me again why this guy is a 1st round 1st day pick? He is arguably the worst quarterback in the Pac-10. You can no longer give him a free pass for playing on a terrible team, since Washington already has 4 wins and only has to beat Cal to be bowl eligible for the first time since 2003.

Yes, they played a tough schedule. But Cal, Oregon State and Arizona State played similarly-tough schedules, and their quarterbacks have outplayed Locker by wide margins.

I see that Mel Kiper finally dropped Locker out of his Top-5, but not out of his Top-20. I feel sorry for the fans of any NFL team that spends a 1st round pick on this guy.
Kiper dropping him out of his top 5 pretty much means he will end up in the late first round (if that) on Kiper's post-season board; he is hedging his bets. Most scouts, personnel types and even Clayton (a Seattle guy) now admit that Jake is likely a 2-3 round pick and a project. Local sports talk radio has pretty much galvanized around this consensus as well. It took them a while, but they got there. It will be interesting to see what he does at the combine and how the talking head lobby types like Kiper and McShay react to his numbers.

NEGATIVES:

Accuracy. His completion percentage isn't what people would hope for, and I don't blame his surrounding talent. He has had a tendency to float a lot of high passes when trying to drill it into tighter windows. Also, his deep balls have often missed by a long way when trying to lead go routes.
He hasn't improved here. Also, he still doesn't step into throws when facing pressure. Lots of throws off the back foot leaning away from pressure.
Sacks. For a kid that is so athletic, he sure had taken a lot of sacks over the past few years. Sure, he's trying to make plays, but those giant negative plays really kill drives when he could throw the ball away and dial up another.
Significant improvement here.
I'm pulling for him to be successful, but I'm not delusional to the point to think that he's an Elway or Manning type prospect. Perhaps not even a Drew Bledsoe, Heath Shuler, or Tim Couch. Time will tell.
I'm still in the same place. Would like to see him do well, but I have serious doubts. He'll get a chance, but unless we see some serious changes in his ability to handle pressure he won't make it.Why do the people up here in the northwest like him so much? First of all, he's an A+ type of kid. He's the sort people want to do well. He has the right demeanor, attitude, humble nature, and all around work ethic. Does that count for anything? Not to some. I get that, but if you have to ask why you're either heartless or just won't ever get it. If ever there was a kid with intangibles off the field, he's it. Second, he's still fast and as strong as they come. Finally, prospects are drafted not on who they are, but they may become. He still may become a star. Time will tell. He's been put on a pedestal meaning that some folks will enjoy him falling off. Go figure.

How many games has Locker missed this year?
One whole game, and most of another.I should have mentioned that if UW wins against Cal and WSU in the next two weeks they will be bowl eligible. It wasn't long ago that this was a zero win team. They went 0-11 under Ty Williamham in 2008. They were the only team in the FBS to go winless.

I have to admit that I've changed my view since I started up the train. Sort of. I'd definitely take Luck ahead of Locker. I still think Locker is better than Tebow and will go higher than Tebow. The team taking him better expect a building project. Best scenario for him is to play behind a strong veteran for 2-3 years.

At this point he looks closer to Josh McCown/Stephen McGee/Tarvaris Jackson than Steve Young/John Elway/Donovan McNabb.

I hope that whoever drafts him gives him a season or two on the bench because he will not succeed if thrust into duty right away.

LHUCKS said:
Hooper31 said:
LHUCKS said:
How many games has Locker missed this year?
One whole game, and most of another.
So why are people in this thread referencing cumulative stats?
If it confounds you so much, take out the handful of season total stats and look at the relevant ones. It doesn't get much better. Worse, if anything.

I plan to give an update with regard to my thoughts on Locker after their bowl game Thursday night, but I just don't see it happening for him at the NFL level.

I watched Blaine Gabbert from Mizzu tonight. I don't see Locker anywhere near the potential that I saw in Gabbert. Gabbert has a few strikes against him, but I saw a much better passer than Locker tonight. The hardest part in evaluating Gabbert was spread offense. He took every snap in shotgun and didn't have to deal with much pressure. However, the few times that Iowa did blitz and got in his face it really affected his throwing motion a ton.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Mallett against OSU as well.

As much as I wanted him to have a chance, I don't see it anymore. The bowl game tonight was telling. He brings a lot to the table as a college quarterback. He's freaky fast. He's powerful as a runner. He's just not an NFL passer, and IMO you have to be able to make plays from the pocket if you want to be a legitimate NFL quarterback.

Lots of Seahawk homers are also Husky fans. There's going to be pressure on the team to bring in the hometown kid via the draft. At his moment I would rather see him end up in San Francisco or Arizona.

As much as I wanted him to have a chance, I don't see it anymore. The bowl game tonight was telling. He brings a lot to the table as a college quarterback. He's freaky fast. He's powerful as a runner. He's just not an NFL passer, and IMO you have to be able to make plays from the pocket if you want to be a legitimate NFL quarterback.

Lots of Seahawk homers are also Husky fans. There's going to be pressure on the team to bring in the hometown kid via the draft. At his moment I would rather see him end up in San Francisco or Arizona.
Teabow of the west

Biggest game of his career and he goes 5-for-16. :goodposting:
In his defense, he threw away at least six balls on purpose, and they were all good decisions. Also, no turnovers and no sacks. The game plan was to come out and run run run. They did it quite well. RB Chris Polk comes out of this game looking like a legitimate NFL prospect. I know the Cornhuskers were at least a 14 point favorite coming into this game. That's a big upset in my book.

Biggest game of his career and he goes 5-for-16. :rant:
In his defense, he threw away at least six balls on purpose, and they were all good decisions. Also, no turnovers and no sacks. The game plan was to come out and run run run. They did it quite well. RB Chris Polk comes out of this game looking like a legitimate NFL prospect. I know the Cornhuskers were at least a 14 point favorite coming into this game. That's a big upset in my book.
In his defense, his WRs could get no separation from Nebraska's DBs - both corners will be playing in the NFL. Locker was going against and NFL readysecondary with college WRs. Not saying Locker will be a good NFL QB but I wouldn't count him out. He's got the arm, head and work ethic to succeeed.

This was the only game I saw of his career. I did not walk away impressed. But, he showed glimpses of talent. For those who see him more often, is he a finished product? as much as anyone in college can be, that is.

I just don't know if he has the goods mentally. Some people aren't wired for the QB position. It's not a matter of being smart or stupid. It's a matter of having natural pocket awareness, a clock in your head, a sense for where all of your receivers are on the field, poise under pressure, and the ability to throw accurate passes consistently. Locker has been a starter for 3+ years and still hasn't developed these attributes, which leads me to believe that he probably never will. I don't know that he's any better a prospect than the likes of Tarvaris Jackson, Josh McCown, and Stephen McGee. All were great athletes with suspect QB skills. That description also applies to Locker.

I think you're basing your statement on what NFL scouts and talent evaluators said BEFORE this season. I would be dumbfounded if many of them are still riding that bandwagon.
He was #4 overall on Kiper's big board last week. He's currently #5 overall on Scout's Inc's Top 32.Locker's demise is waaaaaaaaaaay overblown on this board.
I'll stick with Locker still being a 1st rounder despite the hate on this board.

I can't fathom Locker going in the first round. But then again a lot of decision NFL execs make baffle me.
"Can't fathom" is a strong statement Woodrow. :P
I really couldn't fathom it. Now I'm the first to say that we don't know crap...so if Locker is the bomb, hat tip to the Titans. But based solely on my personal opinion (which I don't expect anyone else to share), I can't imagine the Titans making the smart move taking Locker 8th. It strikes me as nearly incredulous. But Gosselin's mock told us all it was a possibility, so it didn't shock me last night, even though I think it was ridiculous.

He look good in the preseason, yes/no?I think he will get on the field sooner than later.
Some folks at a Titans related blog think so, but they might be a little biased. Ran across an article there, where they are talking about Locker v. Gabbert and they think Locker has shown the most of the two - some excerpts:
I’ve seen most of the footage for what both QB’s have done this pre-season. 4 games in the books and I call it a ‘no contest’ victory for Locker. It’s easy to make the pick. You know what good QB play looks like. When you watch Locker, it works. When you watch Gabbert, you scratch your head wondering what’s going on. There’s going to be the argument that one of them had better WR’s or maybe the o-line just wasn’t up to par for one of these guys and that’s fair to say. However, the gap between Locker and Gabbert at this point just seems unreal.Locker seems every bit as billed. He makes some ‘wow’ plays, yet he makes some dumb plays. The ‘wow’ plays happen far more often than the ‘uh-oh’ plays occur. He shows flashes that scream: Franchise QB!!! Sometimes these moments collide just as they did on his first touchdown pass, in which he first fumbled the snap. His ability to recover was outstanding. Locker’s play throughout the pre-season was solid enough that I honestly feel he could start the season, though not without hiccups. He does, however, need room to grow and that’s expected. After all, he IS a rookie.
http://titansized.com/2011/09/02/jake-locker-vs-blaine-gabbert/

He look good in the preseason, yes/no?I think he will get on the field sooner than later.
Agreed. Hasselbeck is an injury waiting to happen. He's simply there as a stop-gap until Locker can take this team into the post Fisher era. New triplets in CJ2K, Britt, and Cook to go along with Locker?

After starting this thread, I am now cautiously optimistic. Very good situation for him. Hass is a great mentor. He was mentored by Dilfer and he'll pay it forward to Locker. Locker will work his butt off. Hopefully Chris Palmer will help his accuracy issues. Will he get to the Steve Young-level that I referred to in the opening post? Probably not. But it's not as unlikely as the posts from December 2010 would lead you to believe.

After starting this thread, I am now cautiously optimistic. Very good situation for him. Hass is a great mentor. He was mentored by Dilfer and he'll pay it forward to Locker. Locker will work his butt off. Hopefully Chris Palmer will help his accuracy issues. Will he get to the Steve Young-level that I referred to in the opening post? Probably not. But it's not as unlikely as the posts from December 2010 would lead you to believe.
Entering the 2010 college season, he was right there with Luck if I recall correctly. So he had a down year, big deal, it happens. It doesn't fundamentally change a person. He's the same player the Kiper and others thought would be the number 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft. Give him some good coaching and a stable environment and he's as good a bet as anyone from this class.

Users who are viewing this thread