What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (3 Viewers)

One of those weeks where I understand the high alcoholism rate among lawyers. With the day winding down, I've got nothing but scotch on my mind.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Zow said:
Henry Ford said:
I just ####ing gutted a defendant in a deposition. Eviscerated. Established liability for a kid getting raped in foster care.

I'd celebrate, but I am so tired.

Get ready to be tired, Instinctive. Very, very tired.
:lmao:

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into us just telling our one very impressive law student that his pie-in-the-sky ideals are a total crock.

Instinctive, just ignore us and do the following:

1. Do some voluntary work which makes you feel really good about yourself. Do some pro-bono landlord tenant work for the poor or the innocence project or something and believe you are effecting change.

2. Play the law school card up at bars when you're hitting on girls. Heck, create professional looking business cards with your school logos on it to give to chicks.

3. Start an intramural team, bar-night trivia team, or whatever menial hobby you and your law school buddies want to partake in that isn't completely law and name your team "The Tortfeasors". Then be sure to laugh amongst yourselves when the other teams, who are likely demolishing your team at whatever you're doing, look at you oddly because they don't know what a "tortfeasor" is.

4. Use the lame acronyms when referring to your student body (mine was "HUSL" - so much better than "SLS"), join study groups, and bond. Tackle finals' weeks like you're the Denver Broncos gearing up for the Super Bowl. Feel a sense of accomplishment when it's over and you're grabbing beers with your friends.

Do all of the above. Then the day after graduation forget about all of it.
dont ever do this.

I included that because I had a classmate/buddy actually do this and actually get a girl's number.

Zow said:
Henry Ford said:
I just ####ing gutted a defendant in a deposition. Eviscerated. Established liability for a kid getting raped in foster care.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into us just telling our one very impressive law student that his pie-in-the-sky ideals are a total crock.

1. Do some voluntary work which makes you feel really good about yourself. Do some pro-bono landlord tenant work for the poor or the innocence project or something and believe you are effecting change.

2. Play the law school card up at bars when you're hitting on girls. Heck, create professional looking business cards with your school logos on it to give to chicks.

3. Start an intramural team, bar-night trivia team, or whatever menial hobby you and your law school buddies want to partake in that isn't completely law and name your team "The Tortfeasors". Then be sure to laugh amongst yourselves when the other teams, who are likely demolishing your team at whatever you're doing, look at you oddly because they don't know what a "tortfeasor" is.

4. Use the lame acronyms when referring to your student body (mine was "HUSL" - so much better than "SLS"), join study groups, and bond. Tackle finals' weeks like you're the Denver Broncos gearing up for the Super Bowl. Feel a sense of accomplishment when it's over and you're grabbing beers with your friends.

dont ever do this.

I included that because I had a classmate/buddy actually do this and actually get a girl's number.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, a buddy.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
Instinctive said:
If I were less competitive, I'd just take a P and move on with my life.
It isn't good for you to hold it in too long.
Some of the best advice mentors ever gave me. When you have a chance to pee, do it.
Three times in my career I've worked 51 hours straight, almost on the dot. Those are my longest periods of interrupted work. First time it was in conjunction with an IPO we were working on--I'd say 15-18 lawyers and businesspeople at the financial printer getting it done, back in the days when you actually went to the printer rather than having an online dataroom. Man, I miss the days at the printer--anything you want, they would get you. Lobster, steak, at some point booze would flow, usually there was a masseuse there.

Anyway, at one point 30+ hours in one of the partners and I noticed that a female associate had never left the main conference room, meaning she had not once gone to the bathroom. We kept watch for several more hours, but she never left. About 36 hours in we were both out of the room at the same time and couldn't continue to monitor this phenomenon, so I don't know if she made it the full 51 hours, but still...that's some impressive lawyering right there. ;)
That wouldn't fly at The Firm where we routinely worked to midnight and had a courier run to Logan Airport for the last FedEx flight to Memphis. Oh yeah... back in the office by 7:00am.
Protip: There are fewer than 51 hours in a day.
Yeah, I'm not sure I get your post johnnycakes.
OK, as I was trying to explain, I realized the error of my post. Henry is talking about working 51 hours straight. Granted that is impressive. We routinely worked 18 hours a day on end for months at a time... big difference.
Actually it was me that was talking about 51 hours straight, not Henry.

I really don't want to play "whose is bigger" with you, as my point was only about how impressed I was at someone who didn't pee for so long, when I on the other hand seem to go every 1/2 hour. However, before going in-house I spent eight years at two of the 10 largest firms in the world, including the one that was at the time the largest (and probably the most notorious as a sweatshop). I had many months of over 300 hours in billing, including 360 in one month. I kind of know what constant 18-hour days are like, k?
That's terrifying. Was this Cravath?

Wait, johnnycakes is a lawyer??

Also, :bow: (or maybe instead :lmao: ) at you guys doing 51 hours straight and 18 hr days. That's crazy.

Zow said:
Henry Ford said:
I just ####ing gutted a defendant in a deposition. Eviscerated. Established liability for a

kid getting raped in foster care.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into

us just telling our one very impressive law student that his pie-in-the-sky ideals are a total crock.

1. Do some voluntary work which makes you feel

really good about yourself. Do some pro-bono landlord tenant work for the poor or the innocence project or something and believe you are effecting change.

2. Play the law school card up at bars when you're hitting on girls. Heck, create professional

looking business cards with your school logos on it to give to chicks.

3. Start an intramural team, bar-night trivia

team, or whatever menial hobby you and your law school buddies want to partake in that isn't completely law and name your team "The Tortfeasors". Then be sure to laugh amongst

yourselves when the other teams, who are likely demolishing your team at whatever you're doing, look at you oddly because they don't know what a "tortfeasor" is.

4. Use the lame acronyms when referring to your student body (mine was "HUSL" - so much

better than "SLS"), join study groups, and bond. Tackle finals' weeks like you're the Denver Broncos gearing up for the Super Bowl. Feel a sense of accomplishment when it's over and

you're grabbing beers with your friends.

dont ever do this.

I included that because I had a classmate/buddy

actually do this and actually get a girl's number.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, a buddy.
Oh I wish it was me. I was chatting up some girl during a bar review and my buddy sits down next to us. Introduces himself to her by sliding her his business card, which indicated he was a law student at our prestigious university. You could literally see the girl's attention divert from me to him. So no, I wasn't the guy with the school business card.

Also, :bow: (or maybe instead :lmao: ) at you guys doing 51 hours straight and 18 hr days. That's crazy.
:no: I just like to give certain FBG lawyers a hard time. But only if I like them. I did not mean to give krista a hard time.

I'd go with :lmao: . It's such a point of pride at those firms. I remember in my first year at "rhymes with madden" I'd always hear senior associates making those stupid jokes like "Oh, I saw you left at midnight last night--taking a half day?" or bragging about all their all-nighters, and I thought WTF is the matter with these people. Working all those hours has never succeeded in making anyone interesting or unusual or special; it makes us just another #######.

I'd go with :lmao: . It's such a point of pride at those firms. I remember in my first year at "rhymes with madden" I'd always hear senior associates making those stupid jokes like "Oh, I saw you left at midnight last night--taking a half day?" or bragging about all their all-nighters, and I thought WTF is the matter with these people. Working all those hours has never succeeded in making anyone interesting or unusual or special; it makes us just another #######.
Agreed.. working all those hours makes them fit in as the kind of employee The Firm wants. When everyone else is working to midnight, try consistently leaving at 8:00pm and see how long one lasts.

So I made it through. When the exam was over and we went back outside, we were greeted by a cheering tunnel of all the 2Ls and 3Ls, all handing out shots and clapping. It was super nerdy, but really cool. Lots of partying ensued for the following 8-12 hours.

Also, well done on the P/pee jokes. I don't think I mentioned it before, but our classes are set up such that 1/3 the class gets an "Honors" grade, everyone else gets a "Pass." It is possible theoretically to Fail, but it doesn't seem to happen in actuality.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Zow
After extensive research into the matter and consulting with the top minds in the field I have determined that there is simply no legal basis to open my firm on the Friday(s) after Christmas and New Year's. Here's to 7 working days left in the year.

no idea if this is the place for serious questions or not...anyone who hasnt read my story, here is the tl;dr - I was a total #### here on the boards. life smacked me in the head and i now have a critically ill baby daughter. i'm as sirus as a heart attack now. i accept any joke responses based on my total dickishness in past lives/threads

Anyway, my daughter requires in home nursing. The night nurses are horrendous. To the point of putting my daughter in real danger. We've caught 5 of them sleeping and another gave her a chemical burn due to an error. I have all of this on video except the chem burn which we inferred based on supporting evidence. Lawyer says no big damage was caused so i have no malpractice case. I dont want these nurses working in this field as they will hurt or kill a kid someday, and i've already filed a complaint with the state certifications board ( or whatever it's called).

i need to stop these nurses from hurting someone. Can i make a website and/or post youtube videos of aforementioned ineptitude? With real names? And the home nursing company name? Everything will be factual, no suggestions made as to their future in the profession. I just want some good ol fashioned SEO to pop up these vids when future employers search for them.

Is this legal? Can they sue for libel or anything else? what about the home care company?

All I can say is that if the lawyer you contact won't take your case, and you believe you have a case, keep contacting lawyers.

There is almost always someone who will take it.

All I can say is that if the lawyer you contact won't take your case, and you believe you have a case, keep contacting lawyers.

If I'm reading his post right he's actually not looking to start a case or sue, but instead get the green light to publicly criticize his kid's overnight nurses. On that issue I have zero legal advice to provide and would refer you to speak to a civil attorney in your jurisdiction. However, I'm assuming these nurses are provided through public funds. I'm also assuming that your daughter still needs your care. Accordingly, publicly criticizing the people who provide necessary overnight care for your ill daughter sounds like an incredibly terrible idea.

If I'm reading his post right he's actually not looking to start a case or sue, but instead get the green light to publicly criticize his kid's overnight nurses.On that issue I have zero legal advice to provide and would refer you to speak to a civil attorney in your jurisdiction. However, I'm assuming these nurses are provided through public funds. I'm also assuming that your daughter still needs your care. Accordingly, publicly criticizing the people who provide necessary overnight care for your ill daughter sounds like an incredibly terrible idea.
this. not looking to sue anyone just don't want these poor excuses for nurses hurting a kid somewhere else. There are multiple agencies around here and the nurses bounce to the next company even after they get fired from another.

I'm not worried about this agency stopping service as I'm planning to do that soon anyway and go to the next one. I would just rather not deal with the hassle of getting sued myself. So that's what my question boils down to, is this type of factual broadcasting of names and events considered defamatory or libelous in any way?

If I'm reading his post right he's actually not looking to start a case or sue, but instead get the green light to publicly criticize his kid's overnight nurses.On that issue I have zero legal advice to provide and would refer you to speak to a civil attorney in your jurisdiction. However, I'm assuming these nurses are provided through public funds. I'm also assuming that your daughter still needs your care. Accordingly, publicly criticizing the people who provide necessary overnight care for your ill daughter sounds like an incredibly terrible idea.
this. not looking to sue anyone just don't want these poor excuses for nurses hurting a kid somewhere else. There are multiple agencies around here and the nurses bounce to the next company even after they get fired from another.

I'm not worried about this agency stopping service as I'm planning to do that soon anyway and go to the next one. I would just rather not deal with the hassle of getting sued myself. So that's what my question boils down to, is this type of factual broadcasting of names and events considered defamatory or libelous in any way?
this is where you get one of those consumer watchdog guys from a local newscast to do your dirty work.

Yup, some twisted; douschy culture happening at those places. I start packing my #### at six. Life's too damn short.

Yup, some twisted; douschy culture happening at those places. I start packing my #### at six. Life's too damn short.
You also hit diminishing returns at some point. At my age, by day 8 of 12 hour days, I'm putting out work product equivalent to about a third year associate. Papa needs his sleep.

So since it was posted that there are actually people billing 90 hrs/week at consecutive weekly clips I've been trying to wrap my head around what that would be like and if I could do it. And I've come to the conclusion that not only I couldn't, but I can't even fathom how it's possible.

Presently I probably average about 55-60 hours per week (generally 12 hrs. days M-TH, 8 Friday, and a few scattered hours on weekends). This is the most in my firm and easily on the higher end for my practice area/local bar. At my previous offices I worked probably an average of 45-50 and was by no means considered a slacker or anything. With the recent bump up in hours I've gained weight, worked out less, am more useless around the house, and have had to cut down my hobbies. This is all fine because I'm compensated for it and I'm financially setting up my wife and I to have a family and be hopefully worry-free financially. It's a trade-off, but I do miss the 10 or so hours of gone free time and having actual energy come Friday night.

A couple of times a year I have multi-day felony trials where I probably hit about 70 hrs/week. During this time my diet goes to ####, I am entirely useless around the house, and basically my life goes on hold until its over. My wife comments that she just knows to not bother me with any life issue or expect really anything of me during this time - she calls this "trial mode" and dreads when it comes because I'm basically a ghost most of the day and a blob the few hours I'm home. When it's over I usually need a day or two to decompress.

However, my longest week, which I cannot fathom doing for multiple weeks in a row, is 20 hours per week less than these people are billing. I absolutely cannot comprehend it.

ETA: I mean, when would a person go to the grocery store? Do they review documents on a stationary bike at the gym? Heck, do they take bathroom breaks just to find time to masturbate?

So since it was posted that there are actually people billing 90 hrs/week at consecutive weekly clips I've been trying to wrap my head around what that would be like and if I could do it. And I've come to the conclusion that not only I couldn't, but I can't even fathom how it's possible.

Presently I probably average about 55-60 hours per week (generally 12 hrs. days M-TH, 8 Friday, and a few scattered hours on weekends). This is the most in my firm and easily on the higher end for my practice area/local bar. At my previous offices I worked probably an average of 45-50 and was by no means considered a slacker or anything. With the recent bump up in hours I've gained weight, worked out less, am more useless around the house, and have had to cut down my hobbies. This is all fine because I'm compensated for it and I'm financially setting up my wife and I to have a family and be hopefully worry-free financially. It's a trade-off, but I do miss the 10 or so hours of gone free time and having actual energy come Friday night.

A couple of times a year I have multi-day felony trials where I probably hit about 70 hrs/week. During this time my diet goes to ####, I am entirely useless around the house, and basically my life goes on hold until its over. My wife comments that she just knows to not bother me with any life issue or expect really anything of me during this time - she calls this "trial mode" and dreads when it comes because I'm basically a ghost most of the day and a blob the few hours I'm home. When it's over I usually need a day or two to decompress.

However, my longest week, which I cannot fathom doing for multiple weeks in a row, is 20 hours per week less than these people are billing. I absolutely cannot comprehend it.

ETA: I mean, when would a person go to the grocery store? Do they review documents on a stationary bike at the gym? Heck, do they take bathroom breaks just to find time to masturbate?
There's no need for a grocery run when you rarely leave the office. All meals are had there. :shrug: Getting the dry cleaner could be a ##### unless you had one right in your building, which I did at my law-firm jobs.

For me, I just have never needed much sleep. Despite the long hours I still had a social life--it just started very late at night. I could regularly go out at 10 or 11 p.m., stay out 'til 3 a.m., then be back in the office by 7. Hell, I put in thousands of hours on a pro bono death penalty case during my busiest years of work. I fit a lot of that in between the hours of 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.

I wouldn't be able to do that now, not because I get any more sleep than I ever did, but because I just wear out more quickly.

Not just for that.

There's no need for a grocery run when you rarely leave the office. All meals are had there. :shrug: Getting the dry cleaner could be a ##### unless you had one right in your building, which I did at my law-firm jobs.

For me, I just have never needed much sleep. Despite the long hours I still had a social life--it just started very late at night. I could regularly go out at 10 or 11 p.m., stay out 'til 3 a.m., then be back in the office by 7. Hell, I put in thousands of hours on a pro bono death penalty case during my busiest years of work. I fit a lot of that in between the hours of 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.

I wouldn't be able to do that now, not because I get any more sleep than I ever did, but because I just wear out more quickly.
Bananas

Not just for that.
I was assuming/implying they were doing it simultaneously.

Not just for that.
Sort of a self blumpkin?

Not just for that.
Sort of a self blumpkin?
Exactly.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to step into my firm's bathroom...

I don't know how some of you can work those kinds of hours. Maybe it's just because I'm a tax guy and my tax opinions would take on a Joycean dimension if I was writing them on that little sleep, or with that few breaks.

Yeah, that's all nucking futs. There are only two things I'm doing between 11pm and 4 am. My wife and sleeping.
Hell, I struggle to be able to stay up after 11 for my wife...
Then stop whatever you are doing and make time for your wife. There is not a single case, client, moral compass, ethical code, case law, judges wants and needs, and billible hour worth your marriage. Ever. Do not ever make her second to the grind of your job. You work so that you can provide for her and care for her (whether she works or not I don't care). You can't do either of those things if you aren't there with her.

I know I've lost business with my business model. I've lost money. I could be making more. But the most important things in my life to me are my god, my wife, my kids, my health and then my job. No matter what order you put your important things, your wife never comes after anything other than god, and if you don't believe then she comes first. And not for nothing, but sex and emotional comfort, and hell even just joking around with her for 10 minutes, will recharge you more than the cup of coffee you need in the morning to start the day again.

Yeah, that's all nucking futs. There are only two things I'm doing between 11pm and 4 am. My wife and sleeping.
Then stop whatever you are doing and make time for your wife. There is not a single case, client, moral compass, ethical code, case law, judges wants and needs, and billible hour worth your marriage. Ever. Do not ever make her second to the grind of your job. You work so that you can provide for her and care for her (whether she works or not I don't care). You can't do either of those things if you aren't there with her.

I know I've lost business with my business model. I've lost money. I could be making more. But the most important things in my life to me are my god, my wife, my kids, my health and then my job. No matter what order you put your important things, your wife never comes after anything other than god, and if you don't believe then she comes first. And not for nothing, but sex and emotional comfort, and hell even just joking around with her for 10 minutes, will recharge you more than the cup of coffee you need in the morning to start the day again.
Well said.

I don't know how some of you can work those kinds of hours. Maybe it's just because I'm a tax guy and my tax opinions would take on a Joycean dimension if I was writing them on that little sleep, or with that few breaks.
I wonder whether actually billing 3000 hours a year or whatever is ethical. I have trouble seeing how anyone could possibly perform at a high level for that long, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I'm also not a deal guy and that's the market a lot of these stories seem to come from.

I was more making fun of myself for getting old in my post. But yes, definitely no work before marriage.

I was more making fun of myself for getting old in my post. But yes, definitely no work before marriage.
I didn't mean to come off harsh. I just see too many men think they are great because they spend 22 hours a day working and their wives and kids or some kind of ancillary part of their lives. It's moronic.

I wonder whether actually billing 3000 hours a year or whatever is ethical. I have trouble seeing how anyone could possibly perform at a high level for that long, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I'm also not a deal guy and that's the market a lot of these stories seem to come from.
I've had this question myself. I worked with a woman once in a joint defense group who is a mom of 3 and who bills 3k per year. I can't fathom. I did a year of 2600 once, and it was because I had a trial and active discovery in multiple litigations that had me constantly traveling and in court or depositions. I usually worked at least parts of weekends. I was a single guy, and so my commitments at home were zero. And even then under those circumstances I didn't break 2700. 3k seems ludicrous to me, though I suppose if you work 7 days per week you could make it happen legitimately. I still wonder if most of those people are lying.

For what it's worth, nowadays if I'm billing 2k it's a lot, and in part that's because I have a family at home and different commitments and priorities.

What did yall do for summer jobs in law school? I'm going through the process of applying/interviewing/choosing right now and thought some of you would like to share stories of what you did.

What did yall do for summer jobs in law school? I'm going through the process of applying/interviewing/choosing right now and thought some of you would like to share stories of what you did.
After reading the Turning 40 Girls trip to Mexico thread I highly recommend a summer job at a Club Med.

Law firms.

What happened to your sports-related internship (sorry, have forgotten the details)?

Law firms.

What happened to your sports-related internship (sorry, have forgotten the details)?
I can't do anything for operations. NBA teams are only allowed unpaid interns if the interns are receiving academic credit. Law school won't give credit for a non-legal job, so I have to look for legal work this year.

I have some in-house apps out (already to second round at one I'd really like), a couple of Texas firms (because they'll hire 1Ls from Texas), and some applications into the league offices for the major sports leagues that were accepting them after Dec 1st. We'll see how it goes, but right now it looks like I'll get to do something that's either in the field I really want to be, or pays obscenely well. Either of those things would be fine by me.

ETA: It seems that 1L summers at firms are much much harder to come by these days than they were 6-10 years ago.

Student attorney with public defender's office. Got to actually make court appearances, meet with client, and do contested hearings.

Users who are viewing this thread