What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

I'd only heard Tanya Tucker's version of Delta Dawn, so I listened to Bette Midler's, and it's good. It's quite different than Tanya's version. Part of it has a gospel feel to it. One of my friends used to play The Rose soundtrack a lot around 1980. Bette rocked on that album. Tanya was one of my favorite acts at the Merlefest last year. Her banter was fun and she performed great, and though she has simmered down a lot in her older years, you can tell that wild child is still inside her. The last song she played was Delta Dawn.

We saw Tucker a few years back at a festival. I don't know how much she's simmered down because she sure talked a lot about drinking tequila.
I meant as in she was sober (or seemed that way) and clear minded, which is simmering down for her.

In regard to Kashmir, I like Dave Matthews better with Tim Reynolds than I do with his DMB. I've seen him three times perform with Tim Reynolds at Farm Aids, and I like their acoustic music together.

Buddy Holly puts his signature sound on this Rave On cover with the Crickets. I'd never heard the original, so I listened to it, and favor Buddy's version. This song reminds me of doing welcome parties at a resort in Florida, and when we did the 50s theme, people loved the Buddy Holly tunes. I hated having to wear a poodle skirt. I liked doing The Stroll.

Still digging the second helping of Der Kommisar in town. wa-uh-oh

This version of Rebel Yell rocks as much as the original. 🎸 This song brings back great memories.
Good thing Tim's part of the band now :wink:
❌

My sister had H&O's Voices album, and she played "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" a lot. It's my favorite version of the song.

I've always liked the Talking Heads cover of Take Me To The River. I like it just as much as Al Green's version.

David Watts and Act Nice and Gentle are both good Kinks covers. David Watts is fun and I like the bluesy sound of Act Nice and Gentle.

I like the cover of Let Down. It's a little more stripped down than the original.

Mike Masse and Jeff Hall do a very nice acoustic version of Africa. Their voices mesh well together.

This isn't nice formatting.

- I like the song Torn, and I didn't know it was a cover. My brother has always sang the wrong lyrics to the song.
- Hang On To Your Ego sounds great, and not much like the BB's version.
- I can tell this Suspicious Minds cover was made in the 80s. It sounds kinda new wavy.
- Cool It Now is smooth.

I've always liked the Talking Heads cover of Take Me To The River. I like it just as much as Al Green's version.
Oh, yeah. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

It was a boss move when it came out in 1978. Talking Heads were known as NYC weirdos who didn't fit the mold of the other CBGBs bands. Then they released More Songs About Buildings and Food and covered Rev. Al and worked with Eno.

Covers I know and like

Hanging on the Telephone (didn't know it was a cover)
You've Lost that Lovin Feeling
Just Don't know what to do with Myself
Get Together ( didn't know it was a cover)
Torn( didn't know it was a cover)
Walk This Way
Take Me to the River( didn't know it was a cover)

Like song and cover

Be My Baby
Rebel Yell
Have a Cigar
Under the Milky Way

New to me likes

Willin'
Hang On to your Ego
Cool It Now
Corona

Didn't know I knew

Delta Dawn-
Was painting and singing along with a lot of the playlist including this one. My wife asked me, "are you singing Delta Dawn?! "I said "if that's what this is called ,then yes,lol. "
I wasn't sure how I knew it but my wife said it's because my Mom listened to Helen Reddy when I was growing up.

I didn't believe it. Pepsi sucks.
I did a blind taste test a few years ago with one of my friends that loves Pepsi, and he says Coke is nasty. I didn't drink much soda growing up, but we would get Coke for special occasions. Our usual meal beverages were either sweetened Iced tea with lemon, water, or milk. As I got older and could get a soda out of a machine, I usually went for grape soda, Dr. Pepper, Cheerwine, or Sprite. I've drank Seltzer water for my fizz fix for many years now. Back to the taste test, I really wasn't sure if I could tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, but I told my friend Coke was superior, cause I knew it would get him riled up. When I did the blind taste test, I picked Coke as the winner. It was fizzier with a little burn, and Pepsi tasted a bit flat in comparison. I'm not anti-Pepsi, but my taste buds liked Coke better.

It was fizzier with a little burn, and Pepsi tasted a bit flat in comparison. I'm not anti-Pepsi, but my taste buds liked Coke better.

Same here. Same distinction, too.
x3

I like both, but definitely prefer Coke. Have to give some props to Pepsi though for their anti-Coke marketing campaigns over the years.

Remember the Pepsi challenge? Pressured Coke into their disastrous New Coke launch a few years later.

Last edited:
- There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando. My dad would give this two thumbs up. Mamma Mia he loves musical shows.
- "Cross-Eyed Mary" by Iron Maiden sounds more rocking to me than JT's version.
- "I Just Don't Know What To do With Myself" by White Stripes is good and different. They definitely made it their own.
- "Have A Cigar" by the Foos is cool. The album title scares me with all of those 9s.
- The "We Destroy the Family" cover by Harvey Milk challenges the original for full speed ahead sound. I'm thinking what they destroyed in the family was their eardrums. 😀
- "Don't Look Back in Anger" is a nice acoustic cover by Maroon 5.
- Both covers of "The Simpson's Theme" are very different. Danny Gatton's blows through all sorts of genres and Green Day's is fast and furious.
- "Walk This Way" by Run DMC will always remind me of the resurrection of Aerosmith.
- "Money Changes Everything" is another song where I can tell the era is the 1980s.
- I wonder how Elvis performed his cover of Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" live. Did he shake his hips a bit. Did he play the guitar and sorta move around. Did he stand there and sing. My mom saw him live twice. Once when he was thin, and another time when he had gotten thicker. The '72 show was used in footage in that Golden Globe winning tour movie.

It was fizzier with a little burn, and Pepsi tasted a bit flat in comparison. I'm not anti-Pepsi, but my taste buds liked Coke better.

x3

I like both, but definitely prefer Coke. Have to give some props to Pepsi though for their anti-Coke marketing campaigns over the years.

Remember the Pepsi challenge? Pressured Coke into their disastrous New Coke launch a few years later.
I doubt the Pepsi Challenge pressured Coke into anything. The effed up all on their own.

I took it so I could get the discount card. I didn't need to taste it. I could tell which was the Coke from how it looked in the cup. Did really well with the discounts since one was for the cinema. Mr R and I saw a lot of movies that year.

Last edited:

x3

I don't the Pepsi Challenge pressured Coke into anything. The effed up all on their own.
I thought Pepsi’s success was eating into Coke’s market share and Coke responded with New Coke. Maybe I am remembering it wrong though.

We have a saying around here: Coke is for adults. Pepsi is for kids.
The Pepsi contingent doesn't like it.

Finally gave the 29s a listen. Whew, Tim Reynolds. I didn't list him with the guitar masters who made me happy because those guys all seem lesser known. Tim's been touring with Dave so long, I think he's pretty mainstream, but dayum, that Kashmir cover. Made for some killer driving music.

Others that really jumped out for me.

Linda's Willin'. Nice. Didn't know that existed. Wikkid made me really appreciate Lowell, but I gotta give this one to Linda.

Elvis doing Don't Think Twice, It's Allright. I'm a closeted Elvis homo. His phrasing and voice here were fun. He's put his stamp on many many covers I love, but this surprised me.

I played both of those twice.

Cyndi doing Money Changes Everything. Put her angsty sad edge on it.

Adrenaline Mod - Rebel Yell. Hard to steal a Billy Idol song, but mission accomplished.

After The Fire - Der Kammissar. Yup. Fairly straightforward rendition caught me in the perfect mood.

Calexico - Corona. Made a very familiar stretch of dark desert highway feel like a Mexican road trip.

If I'm not giving props to yours it's likely because I was already very familiar with it. The above jumped out cuz I wasn't.

Thanks for the road music. Got me home safe on a dark rainy night when my vision seemed to be off. Gettin' old is not fair.

Oh as for mine. Under The Milky Way covered by Tearwave giving it a female voice and a shoegazey dream pop treatment. Yeah that's me. Hearing it on the list made me wish I chose a few more like it.

Got me home safe on a dark rainy night when my vision seemed to be off.
I've gotten to where I won't drive at night when it's raining, except when I'm going to work (my office is about a mile from my house). But highway driving in those conditions - no way.

Well it was sporadic light rain tonight in light traffic or heavy rain and traffic tomorrow. I've often said I could drive the road to Vegas by braille I've done it so many times. I think I just proved it. :)

Anybody catch the new Netflix documentary The Greatest Night In Pop - it's about the making of the We Are The World video. A friend told me about it and it seems pretty interesting.

Trailer is is the middle of the link.
I don't have Netflix anymore, but I bet this will be good.

Say what you want about this song. It's MOR pablum made by a bunch of rich people so they could feel good about themselves. The message is so muddied as to not make any sense. Kids in Africa were still dying after this record was released at an alarming rate. All true.

But this is the greatest collection of talent ever assembled (it smokes Woodstock or any awards show). Other than Dylan & Ray Charles, all were in their primes (or close enough) - and Charles never really did NOT have a prime.

Anybody catch the new Netflix documentary The Greatest Night In Pop - it's about the making of the We Are The World video. A friend told me about it and it seems pretty interesting.

Say what you want about this song. It's MOR pablum made by a bunch of rich people so they could feel good about themselves. The message is so muddied as to not make any sense. Kids in Africa were still dying after this record was released at an alarming rate. All true.

But this is the greatest collection of talent ever assembled (it smokes Woodstock or any awards show). Other than Dylan & Ray Charles, all were in their primes (or close enough) - and Charles never really did NOT have a prime.
I would tend to agree that part of it probably was driven by some desire for positive publicity, but hard to get on them for actually making the time in very short order. They surely didn't cure hunger in Africa any more than Band-Aid did, but that's a bigger political issue that they couldn't solve.

Above all, as you say, it's hard to imagine there will ever be a greater collection of talent in one room on one song.

Last edited:

And could have been an even greater collection of talent because Prince was supposed to be there.

SNL parodied his no-show with a song called “I Am Also the World”.

And could have been an even greater collection of talent because Prince was supposed to be there.

SNL parodied his no-show with a song called “I Am Also the World”.
Never saw that back then. Just checked it out - good stuff when SNL still had a quality cast and was still actually funny. Rich Hall (I think that's who it was) did a great Mark Goodman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread