What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The NFL on the Internet: Bills/Jags (1 Viewer)

Tango

Footballguy
Bills/Jags are going to be on the internet except in Buffalo, Jacksonville.

Live in Rochester, NY? It's Yahoo for you

Have Sunday Ticket? It's Yahoo for you too

But this is an important event because it represents a shift that has occurred over the last 20-25 years that there’s no such thing as a “regional” game in the NFL any more.

And the fact that every game has a national audience is embodied in the fact that many of the under-40 year old crowd prefers watching Red Zone because they want to see all the games. And when the NFL schedules just 3 games at 4pm 9in certain weeks, despite the high ratings, the consumer satisfaction drops when the NFL puts the entire nation to sleep.

So the beauty of the early London games and the internet experiment is that:

1. It takes from “excess inventory” of 1pm games, not the constricted 4pm inventory
  2. It creates a new package for the NFL to sell. Since it takes from that 1pm excess inventory, it will not significantly dilute the value of the core 1pm/4pm Sunday package.
  3. Unlike Thursday night football, it does not dilute the NFL institution that is NFL Sunday. Instead, Sunday morning football actually serves to protect and strengthen the Sunday product.
  4. It opens up the path for an eager,new set of future broadcast partners to bid on NFL TV packages, and
  5. Perhaps least important, despite getting most of the press, is that it helps globalize the game

Last edited by a moderator:
Tango said:

But this is an important event because it represents a shift that has occurred over the last 20-25 years that there’s no such thing as a “regional” game in the NFL any more.

And the fact that every game has a national audience is embodied in the fact that many of the under-40 year old crowd prefers watching Red Zone because they want to see all the games. And when the NFL schedules just 3 games at 4pm 9in certain weeks, despite the high ratings, the consumer satisfaction drops when the NFL puts the entire nation to sleep.

1. It takes from “excess inventory” of 1pm games, not the constricted 4pm inventory
  2. It creates a new package for the NFL to sell. Since it takes from that 1pm excess inventory, it will not significantly dilute the value of the core 1pm/4pm Sunday package.
  3. Unlike Thursday night football, it does not dilute the NFL institution that is NFL Sunday. Instead, Sunday morning football actually serves to protect and strengthen the Sunday product.
  4. It opens up the path for an eager,new set of future broadcast partners to bid on NFL TV packages, and
  5. Perhaps least important, despite getting most of the press, is that it helps globalize the game
All those things could be true but I see the NFL's demise coming at some point in time. Maybe not in my lifetime but the way things are going I don't see the NFL as the big dog of sports in the USA in the future. I still watch it religiously but the game is not as good as it was even 10 years ago. The hitting is being taken out of the game which makes it less appealing. Also I think younger kids are starting to be steered away from the sport. It's going to die out in the future. Another thing I don't like is these stupid games in London. It just goes to show you that money is the most important thing in this world now. It's too bad, but that's the way it is.

Tango said:

All those things could be true but I see the NFL's demise coming at some point in time. Maybe not in my lifetime but the way things are going I don't see the NFL as the big dog of sports in the USA in the future. I still watch it religiously but the game is not as good as it was even 10 years ago. The hitting is being taken out of the game which makes it less appealing. Also I think younger kids are starting to be steered away from the sport. It's going to die out in the future. Another thing I don't like is these stupid games in London. It just goes to show you that money is the most important thing in this world now. It's too bad, but that's the way it is.
1) The league is trying to protect the game...it's one their primary objectives. But I agree their approach is all-wrong. They are more or less apologizing for being a violent game and continue to take away from its core characteristics. Bad move.

2) The ratings are there. And that does the league a disservice as it covers up many of its flaws and leads to arrogance. HOWEVER, this weekend's event shows that they see that the old "regional" telecast model is dying.

Of course on this same weekend they still only have 2 games at 4pm. So ho much are they really learning? If Giants and Cowboys is a blow-out then it will be yet another snooze-fest at 4pm-- high rating or not.

Too bad they can't flex the NYJ@NE to 4.

Now that everyone on the planet is paying for the RZ channel, they are making it worthless. I can't wait for the non-stop action watching them flip between the network game & SDvsOak....

Now that everyone on the planet is paying for the RZ channel, they are making it worthless. I can't wait for the non-stop action watching them flip between the network game & SDvsOak....
The networks still love the "regional" model of loading up games at 1pm and then herding us to a "national" game at 4pm. And guess what? It's gets the ratings. In spades. However, to your point, the NFL consumer (especially those under 40)....love the hustle-bustle of Sundays--but they do not like a split of +/-8 games at 1pm and 2-3 games at 4pm. Watching the 1pm games finish is like trying to drink out of a fire-hose...and then the buzz-kill comes along with the 2-3 4pm games that too often put us to sleep.

It doesnt have to be a 50/50 split, but they need to try to make sure to schedule 4-5 late games so the consumers of 2015 can get a good product all day long.

The networks and some east-coast owners will continue to resist having 1-2 more late games per week, but the consumer is speaking very clearly on this subject....and there is a magical line in the sand somewhere and sooner or later it will change. Probably sooner.

As a Bills fan, I'm very pissed about this. I pay for the Ticket more or less entirely for the purpose of watching the Bills each week. #### the NFL for making me watch this over the internet instead of on my 60" television, when I already paid for all Sunday games.

As a Bills fan, I'm very pissed about this. I pay for the Ticket more or less entirely for the purpose of watching the Bills each week. #### the NFL for making me watch this over the internet instead of on my 60" television, when I already paid for all Sunday games.
You should just move here, then it'll be on TV regardless :hifive:

Do you have a HDMI port on your computer? Hook it up to the TV.

The networks still love the "regional" model of loading up games at 1pm and then herding us to a "national" game at 4pm. And guess what? It's gets the ratings. In spades. However, to your point, the NFL consumer (especially those under 40)....love the hustle-bustle of Sundays--but they do not like a split of +/-8 games at 1pm and 2-3 games at 4pm. Watching the 1pm games finish is like trying to drink out of a fire-hose...and then the buzz-kill comes along with the 2-3 4pm games that too often put us to sleep.

It doesnt have to be a 50/50 split, but they need to try to make sure to schedule 4-5 late games so the consumers of 2015 can get a good product all day long.

The networks and some east-coast owners will continue to resist having 1-2 more late games per week, but the consumer is speaking very clearly on this subject....and there is a magical line in the sand somewhere and sooner or later it will change. Probably sooner.
How? Are ratings down?

How? Are ratings down?
ratings addressed in various spots in the post and in post 1. just give it a re-read.

How? Are ratings down?
ratings addressed in various spots in the post and in post 1. just give it a re-read.
So in other words, no?

Does Yahoo! have an app that allows you to watch on some TVs?

How about something like AppleTV or ChromeCast, can you watch via those?

Is there a specific link for the feed? Any specific software or anything that will be needed to view the game in HD?

What are the odds this feed drops out? This isn't Google or Amazon we are talking about here. IIRC, Yahoo had some major problems in fantasy last season. If they can't get that right after almost 15years, then what makes them think they can pull off live streaming to millions people.

How? Are ratings down?
So in other words, no?
Of course no. But those that think this a dichotomy are missing the point entirely.

The ratings are awesome...that's because people who are fans of the NFL dont turn off their TVs in protest. The fact that these loyal viewers are not happy with the way the product is delivered during the late window via a 30 year old model that does not please its emerging consumer base is of concern to the NFL. Thus you will see change over time as the NFL pushes harder on the networks (not an easily push-able lot) and east coast owners to adjust.

Tango said:

If you're complaining about not being able to see this game, I'm going to consider you a degenerate gambler.

(Exceptions for IK and other Bills fans as they're good people.)

I'm no trying to bust your balls, but you are making stuff up. To say that the consumer is speaking very clearly on this is correct, but not in the way you are trying to imply. The only way to measure consumer satisfaction is by ticket and merchandise sales and tv ratings. None of which are pointing in the direction you are talking about.

I'm no trying to bust your balls, but you are making stuff up. To say that the consumer is speaking very clearly on this is correct, but not in the way you are trying to imply. The only way to measure consumer satisfaction is by ticket and merchandise sales and tv ratings. None of which are pointing in the direction you are talking about.
Yep, agree mostly...bottomline: it's fairly subjective--

Even though certain items are nearly indisputable such as

(1) there's no such thing as a regional game like there was 30 years ago, and

(2) the NFL consumer that does not watch just the 2-3 games spoon-fed to them by the local affiliates is no longer a small niche like it was even 10 years ago.

These somewhat subjective calls are why marketing executives (good ones) are paid a lot of money. If the job was only about counting the money that's under contract and working with the ratings numbers of last week's game...then they could offer minimum wage.

Tango said:

If you're complaining about not being able to see this game, I'm going to consider you a degenerate gambler.

(Exceptions for IK and other Bills fans as they're good people.)
:kicksrock:

What are the odds this feed drops out? This isn't Google or Amazon we are talking about here. IIRC, Yahoo had some major problems in fantasy last season. If they can't get that right after almost 15years, then what makes them think they can pull off live streaming to millions people.
Most of my leagues are on Yahoo and I really like their fantasy interface but I had the exact same thought when I saw they were doing this. I could be off but I consider them less competent than some of the other big tech companies.

Most of my leagues are on Yahoo and I really like their fantasy interface but I had the exact same thought when I saw they were doing this. I could be off but I consider them less competent than some of the other big tech companies.
We shall see. I do have to give Yahoo props for continuing to grow their sports part of the business the last several years.

I guess they finally started to notice the volume spikes of people logging back into Yahoo in August every year. They are constantly adding fantasy stayle games, have decent sports coverage, are now in DFS, and are going to be streaming. I like the direction they are going.

I'm watching through the Yahoo app on my Roku player and it looks as good as any of my HD cable channels. Haven't had one freeze yet and I'm only running 5 Mbps.

I'm watching through the Yahoo app on my Roku player and it looks as good as any of my HD cable channels. Haven't had one freeze yet and I'm only running 5 Mbps.
Just started doing it on my AppleTV, looks nice; I have FiOS with like 75 and not much else is running, so I'd hope we don't get freezes.

Working well. Watching it through the Yahoo app on Apple TV. EJ Manuel, however, has not benefitted from the new broadcast format thus far.

Just started doing it on my AppleTV, looks nice; I have FiOS with like 75 and not much else is running, so I'd hope we don't get freezes.
:lol: at me - right after I posted that, I got a buffering that lasted maybe a second. Only one I've noticed so far, though. I'll make sure to keep you all updated on my viewing experience that exactly one person cares about :sleep:

Was watching on Roku TV Yahoo app and it was terrible. Audio ahead of video and kept freezing. Switched to Yahoo app on Fire stick and has been great.

The reality is, this is what TV will be like in 5-7 years. We will use a roku or apple tv and stream everything. we are moving away from cable.

Was watching on Roku TV Yahoo app and it was terrible. Audio ahead of video and kept freezing. Switched to Yahoo app on Fire stick and has been great.
To be fair, I've had the audio muted in favor of music but the pic stream has been fine and I'm watching the same way you were on the Roku.

:lol: at me - right after I posted that, I got a buffering that lasted maybe a second. Only one I've noticed so far, though. I'll make sure to keep you all updated on my viewing experience that exactly one person cares about :sleep:
With my high speed and the ATV, I honestly can't tell any difference between this and a regular broadcast.

I'm streaming through the NFL app on an XBox1 and I think my wife is probably watching Netflix on an iPad. Haven't had any issues and we only have 10meg internet. (Now if either of my kids were home, on the other hand.....)

With my high speed and the ATV, I honestly can't tell any difference between this and a regular broadcast.
Yup, watching via Chromecast and can't tell the difference between it and my DirecTV.

Horrible to try and watch on a laptop for buffering and just poor video quality. This was Hooli bad from the show silicon valley

Users who are viewing this thread