What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (2 Viewers)

I don't know why this seems so important to me (FULL DSCLOSURE: Jets = rockaction's favorite team) but it would seem normally to be bigger news if one of the GOATs at his important position got cut from the highest-profile team in the sport, only to languish at the mercy of what can only be called a slightly infamous, but at times successful franchise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why this seems so important to me (FULL DSCLOSURE: Jets = rockaction's favorite team) but it would seem normally to be bigger news if one of the GOATs at his important position got cut from the highest-profile team in the sport, only to languish at the mercy of what can only be called a slightly infamous, but at times successful franchise. 
He’s a ~4 million dollar K & Jerry Jones is a greedy d-bag.

seems simple enough. Bailey should find work, but there are an awful lot of unemployed soccer players that will work for peanuts.

personally I’m hoping the new Cowboys K hits at about 58% & misses 5 straight game-winning FGs to teach Jones a lesson in frugality, but he reality is Kicker is ultimately the most replaceable player in the NFL. 

Every year we see last minute K cuts & signings - how often does a QB walk into a front office 48 hours before the season & get handed a contract to be a starter by comparison?  (Jay Cutler is about the only one who comes to mind and it still wasn’t that close to the games)

This is partly why I do a K contest every year - They get no love, so winning something for guessing the right K is a way for people to love kickers again. Poor ‘lil fellas. :wub:  

As a Jets fan, you certainly don't want to see this

@FieldYates

Source: free agent kicker Roberto Aguayo is trying out for the Jets today. They continue to evaluate kicking options. Aguayo hit 3-of-3 field goals this preseason with the Chargers.

As a Jets fan, you certainly don't want to see this

@FieldYates

Source: free agent kicker Roberto Aguayo is trying out for the Jets today. They continue to evaluate kicking options. Aguayo hit 3-of-3 field goals this preseason with the Chargers.
Oh God. Not that stiff. Who on earth and why on earth don't they just pull a full stop here and forget about it and just sign Bailey.? Perhaps his cap cut for getting cut is large and the Jets don't want to make that mistake? Or they just are refusing to spend the extra million and a half? Otherwise, this makes no sense. This is isn't fantasy football where you just grab any ol' kicker anwywhere because of VBD. These guys have to make their kicks not against each other and in comparison to other 31, but in the game and facing a tough environment.

SMDH.

Thanks for pulling that source, @doeseatplace

He’s a ~4 million dollar K & Jerry Jones is a greedy d-bag.

seems simple enough. Bailey should find work, but there are an awful lot of unemployed soccer players that will work for peanuts.

personally I’m hoping the new Cowboys K hits at about 58% & misses 5 straight game-winning FGs to teach Jones a lesson in frugality, but he reality is Kicker is ultimately the most replaceable player in the NFL. 

Every year we see last minute K cuts & signings - how often does a QB walk into a front office 48 hours before the season & get handed a contract to be a starter by comparison?  (Jay Cutler is about the only one who comes to mind and it still wasn’t that close to the games)

This is partly why I do a K contest every year - They get no love, so winning something for guessing the right K is a way for people to love kickers again. Poor ‘lil fellas. :wub:  
I disagree gently and would like to point out that the guy who generally is considered the modern best and an all-time top-five guy usually doesn't show up at your doorstep from the street when you've been having kicking troubles for two years running (I'm looking at you, Jets). You pay at least the 3.4 he was making, tip your cap, and throw him the papers.  I know you don't seem to like kickers, but they're three points, and those three points, applied consistently, can swing football dynamics by generally -2 to +2 losses per year, which is playoffs. 

They're super huge. Coaching staffs get fired over them and never even realize it. 

I disagree gently
Heck, you can disagree strongly / angrily. I’ve got thick skin. :lol:  

and would like to point out that the guy who generally is considered the modern best and an all-time top-five guy usually doesn't show up at your doorstep from the street when you've been having kicking troubles for two years running (I'm looking at you, Jets).
Maybe - but he was getting paid a lot, and I’m reasonably sure that’s why The Dallas JerryJoneses cut him. 

You pay at least the 3.4 he was making, tip your cap, and throw him the papers.  I know you don't seem to like kickers, but they're three points, and those three points, applied consistently, can swing football dynamics by generally -2 to +2 losses per year, which is playoffs.
Right - but at that price I understand the trepidation from teams, especially when compared to the FA market, which is deep. 

And the simple fact is that all K get 3 points for a FG. It’s not like they all get 2 & Bailey gets 3. At the end of the day, he’s still just a kicker. An accurate one, but a K just the same.

And while accurate, he doesn’t have the strongest leg - IIRC, distance isn’t his strong suit. Last year from 50+ he was 3/5, and in 2017 he was 3/6 from 50+. So “most accurate” isn’t all that impressive when he can’t connect from distance. 

They're super huge. Coaching staffs get fired over them and never even realize it. 
Sort of. 

i don’t see Bailey as a game changer & completely understand why the cowboys cut him at that price.

that said, I am in agreement that the Jets could use him, and he would be significantly better than Arroyo. 

Is he 3 million dollars better than Arroyo? Well, it’s not my money, so sure, why not.  :shrug:

Yeah, his past two years he's dealt with groin issues and that cut his distance. His past year was his real down year, otherwise 3/5 distance in '16 is nothing to sneeze at. Up until then, he's at an astonishing rate from distance, especially 40+. 

But the notion that Matt McClane or Roberto Aguayo should be getting looks while he has the opportunity to sign with about fifteen teams that need him (how many satisfy his salary requirements under their own cap is another thing entirely) is a laughable one, and that's my real gripe. If you not taking the time to negotiate, but rather, putting it off to look at these guys, then I'm sort of appalled. 

What can.I say? 

And, hey, we've got some real stuff of substance in the kicker thread going. Let's keep it up! 

I disagree gently and would like to point out that the guy who generally is considered the modern best and an all-time top-five guy usually doesn't show up at your doorstep from the street when you've been having kicking troubles for two years running (I'm looking at you, Jets). You pay at least the 3.4 he was making, tip your cap, and throw him the papers.  I know you don't seem to like kickers, but they're three points, and those three points, applied consistently, can swing football dynamics by generally -2 to +2 losses per year, which is playoffs. 

You're right, so they might as well sign Bailey instead.

Translation: “imma wait to see who the Jets sign & pick them.”

Lmao - just playin. ;)  
Heh. I know you are. Naw, I did every one of these last year once I read back through the thread and figured out what was going on. You'll definitely have a pick and distance from me before Sunday -- I'll likely forego the Thursday night game, though that one features some stalwart kickers.  

Let’s get this season started in style! 

The unofficial, official, unofficial inaugural  kicker contest! 

Easy to win.   :hifive:

Even easier to lose!  :pickle:

All ya gotta do is pick the K who scores the more points this week, and guess the distance of his longest FG.

that’s the tiebreaker.

1. # of Points 

2. FG distance

the closest to #1, then #2 wins two bottles of their choice of award-winning hot sauce. 

get those guesses in!

:popcorn:

Rules:

All entries MUST be put in 15 mins before the morning games on Sunday. IF you want a K from the Thursday night game, get that pick in 15 mins before kickoff. 

USA shipping only. I can only be so generous. 

;)  

NO EDITING OF POSTS! If you want to change your guess, that’s fine - delete your post & post a new one. Any edited post is an automatic DQ.

Anyone on my ignore list (only like 8 users, every one of them knows who they are) is automatically DQ’d. Sorry, shoulda been nicer when ya had the chance. That’s how life is sometimes.  :yes:  

GO!

let’s see that K love!  :wub:
Love these contests, but kickers are serious business, so you’ve got to give us the scoring system.

I’d hate to come in second because I thought my guy’s 49-yard FG would outscore a rival’s 47-yard kick, only to find out you’re using 20th century kicker scoring rules...

Love these contests, but kickers are serious business, so you’ve got to give us the scoring system.

I’d hate to come in second because I thought my guy’s 49-yard FG would outscore a rival’s 47-yard kick, only to find out you’re using 20th century kicker scoring rules...
I did. 

1. Total points 

2. Guess longest kick by your kicker 

closest to 1, then 2 wins.

scoring is NFL scoring. A FG = 3 points, a PAT = 1 point. If your kicker is in on a trick play & rushes or passes or catches a TD it’s 6 points. If he’s in on a trick play PAT fake and somehow is directly responsible for 2, he gets 2.

notjing fancy - just NFL kicker scoring. 

I did. 

1. Total points 

2. Guess longest kick by your kicker 

closest to 1, then 2 wins.

scoring is NFL scoring. A FG = 3 points, a PAT = 1 point. If your kicker is in on a trick play & rushes or passers or catches a TD it’s 6 points. If he’s in on a trick play PAT fake and somehow is directly responsible for 2, he gets 2.

notjing fancy - just NFL kicker scoring. 
Who would have thought we’d be talking actual points on  FANTASY message board?   :P

Just proves how valuable kickers are though...they are always among the league’s leading points-earners.

#FirstRoundKicker

I’ll take Matt Bryant, Atlanta.  14 points.

Who would have thought we’d be talking actual points on  FANTASY message board?   :P

Just proves how valuable kickers are though...they are always among the league’s leading points-earners.

#FirstRoundKicker

I’ll take Matt Bryant, Atlanta.  14 points.
Our first TNF entry!  :pickle:

and ya didn’t give us his long for tiebreaker. :doh:  

dont edit - clear & repost. :yes:  

Roberto Aguayo, New York Jets

4 points (assuming no negative pts for missed FGs or XPs)

34 yards

Wait, this isn't the worst ball kicker league?  Never mind

Remember folks - y’all have until the weekend (Sunday 9:45 AM PT) to get your guesses in, but if you’re guessing a K from tonight’s game, get the guess in -5 mins before kickoff.

be sure to check my post for the rules (it’s a page back) specifically, no editing of posts. 

Best of luck! 

Users who are viewing this thread