What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

Tobias, I'm not trying to start an offshoot discussion and I'm asking this with complete sincerity: how important is the political climate where you move? From most of your FFA political postings, we're fairly different cats when it comes to politics, although I'm not nearly as socially conservative as I am fiscally. I'm asking because political climate is something that's become very important to me over the years. That may be because I've lived in Montgomery County for 47 years, and over the last 2 decades it's shifted so far to the right that it's become downright uncomfortable for me to live here. I'm locked in right now for 2 reasons: My Dad set up his estate so that as long as my Mom doesn't absolutely NEED to be in an assisted living facility due to medical reasons, and I can take care of her, I'm acting as her primary caregiver. (which is why I'm not actively running a restaurant kitchen full-time, or owning my own place at this time). She's 87, and still living a decent and relatively active life, I love her with all my heart and absolutely hope she lives another 87, but she's happily in place and not moving anywhere; and secondarily, because my stepson just started middle school, and I'd like to keep him in MCPS until he graduates HS, which is 7 years hence...but if I could...I'd be out of here yesterday...

...I think you'd absolutely love it here, though, and I don't mean that as an insult in any way; it's just the way it is. You can buy very well in MoCo without breaking the bank. Better than you might think.

I live in the 20853 Zip Code. We live in a community where large single family homes are selling from anywhere from around 600K to over a million, but there's plenty to like in the 700-800K range. It's somewhat shocking on the site I sent you that MCPS are ranked 11th in the state, but that's largely due to the several pocket communities in the southern region that border Takoma Park, DC and PG, as well as the greater Gaithersburg/Germantown region that have seen a massive influx of Illegal Immigrants that the santuary policies and development and construction companies covet for the cheap labor in the past decade or so. In the wealthy areas, they are some of the best schools in the state, if not the nation.

http://www.homesnap.com/homes_for_sale/DC_Metro/Aspen_Hill,MD/20853/7705#p_2/zl_12/c_39.10737621502027,-77.09967/s_cpr-

Do a search for a community in MoCo called Flower Valley. I think you might find exactly what you're looking for, or close to it, there. Again, if it weren't for what I find to be an increasingly oppressive political climate, I might never leave.
1) Takoma Park is called Berkley East for a reason. The whole county isn't conservative. Not even close. Potomac, sure.

2) I grew up in 20853. Went to Barnsley ES and EB Wood MS. Private for HS.

3) I can first hand say Flower Valley is a nice little enclave, used to bike through there and Manor Country Club all the time as a kid. The schools are decent enough (although I don't have the best impression of Rockville HS). Commuting to Capital South from there though... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. PAIN. Probably driving down to Kensington or Garrett Park and catching the MARC would be the easiest thing from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a generic request for ideas a couple months ago. I'm always happy to hear more suggestions, and I'll definitely propose adding Oakton to the current mix of options despite our feelings about the Route 66 corridor, schools look pretty good. Much appreciated, Don.
Fairfax County has pretty good schools from what I've heard. There's a few towns out there that might be worth checking out. Burke is another option. I think you were lookable for a walkable-type town when you asked a few months ago. They are not that.
I forget if I chimed in previously or not, but this is my neck of the woods. Your $$ will go a long way out here and there are two or three VRE train stations (Burke Road, Burke Town Center) that will jet you into L'enfant Plaza or Union Station. Schools are unbelievable.
It does take about 45 minutes on VRE to L'Enfant, though. So add in time to get to the station, waiting time, and transfer time to reach final destination and it's over an hour commute. But, it is a relaxing 45 minutes and I've read they are working on wifi on the trains.

(HULK), my boy went to Rock View for summer school in 2013, and it was a very, very positive experience. Also a huge fan of that general area, for quality of life, of course, as opposed to politics :P ... those new homes they just finished just off Connecticut Ave at Denfeld look very, very cool.

I posted a generic request for ideas a couple months ago. I'm always happy to hear more suggestions, and I'll definitely propose adding Oakton to the current mix of options despite our feelings about the Route 66 corridor, schools look pretty good. Much appreciated, Don.
Fairfax County has pretty good schools from what I've heard. There's a few towns out there that might be worth checking out. Burke is another option. I think you were lookable for a walkable-type town when you asked a few months ago. They are not that.
Alright, given this I'm going to strongly urge you to look in the Old Town Kensington section of 20895. Its the part of the zip nearest the MARC stop.

Alright, given this I'm going to strongly urge you to look in the Old Town Kensington section of 20895. Its the part of the zip nearest the MARC stop.
Kensington/Garrett Park is currently in a three-way tie for the lead, along with moving east to Edgewater or thereabouts and staying in the city but moving to Shepherd Park.

Tobias, I'm not trying to start an offshoot discussion and I'm asking this with complete sincerity: how important is the political climate where you move? From most of your FFA political postings, we're fairly different cats when it comes to politics, although I'm not nearly as socially conservative as I am fiscally. I'm asking because political climate is something that's become very important to me over the years. That may be because I've lived in Montgomery County for 47 years, and over the last 2 decades it's shifted so far to the ETA: LEFT that it's become downright uncomfortable for me to live here. I'm locked in right now for 2 reasons: My Dad set up his estate so that as long as my Mom doesn't absolutely NEED to be in an assisted living facility due to medical reasons, and I can take care of her, I'm acting as her primary caregiver. (which is why I'm not actively running a restaurant kitchen full-time, or owning my own place at this time). She's 87, and still living a decent and relatively active life, I love her with all my heart and absolutely hope she lives another 87, but she's happily in place and not moving anywhere; and secondarily, because my stepson just started middle school, and I'd like to keep him in MCPS until he graduates HS, which is 7 years hence...but if I could...I'd be out of here yesterday...

...I think you'd absolutely love it here, though, and I don't mean that as an insult in any way; it's just the way it is. You can buy very well in MoCo without breaking the bank. Better than you might think.

I live in the 20853 Zip Code. We live in a community where large single family homes are selling from anywhere from around 600K to over a million, but there's plenty to like in the 700-800K range. It's somewhat shocking on the site I sent you that MCPS are ranked 11th in the state, but that's largely due to the several pocket communities in the southern region that border Takoma Park, DC and PG, as well as the greater Gaithersburg/Germantown region that have seen a massive influx of Illegal Immigrants that the santuary policies and development and construction companies covet for the cheap labor in the past decade or so. In the wealthy areas, they are some of the best schools in the state, if not the nation.

http://www.homesnap.com/homes_for_sale/DC_Metro/Aspen_Hill,MD/20853/7705#p_2/zl_12/c_39.10737621502027,-77.09967/s_cpr-

Do a search for a community in MoCo called Flower Valley. I think you might find exactly what you're looking for, or close to it, there. Again, if it weren't for what I find to be an increasingly oppressive political climate, I might never leave.
1) Takoma Park is called Berkley East for a reason. The whole county isn't conservative. Not even close. Potomac, sure.

2) I grew up in 20895. Went to Barnsley ES and EB Wood MS. Private for HS.

3) I can first hand say Flower Valley is a nice little enclave, used to bike through there and Manor Country Club all the time as a kid. The schools are decent enough (although I don't have the best impression of Rockville HS). Commuting to Capital South from there though... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. PAIN. Probably driving down to Kensington or Garrett Park and catching the MARC would be the easiest thing from there.
Hahaha, see the bolded above in my quote! I meant LEFT. Probably makes a lot more sense now...

Cripes, I went to Barnsley and Wood!!! Graduated from Rockville HS in '86...do we know each other?

Are you ok with an older home? I would think Silver Spring, Takoma Park, and Kensington areas would offer what you want in MD.

In VA, Falls Church might, but the number of single family homes under $750k is dwindling and they are all older. Similarly, Vienna has some older single family homes under $700k. I know many of those are being torn down, though, and people are building mansions on the lots. So you could quickly find yourself in an old rambler surrounded by mansions. Both Falls Church and Vienna have decent "downtown" strips (FC better than Vienna) if you can find a house close enough and both would have good access to the WOD trail.

Fairfax City has a nice, walkable (small) downtown and good schools and plenty of homes under your budget. But, the commute will take a hit. There are a lot bus routes along Braddock Road outside the beltway that go to the Pentagon where you can catch Metro. Definitely good schools out that way and cheaper housing, but no good walkable downtown. There are shopping centers, of course, that you could walk to but the areas are designed for walking. Also two VRE stations nearby in the Burke area. Inside the beltway, Annandale could be an option, but again you're sacrificing the walkable living.
Definitely on my list, but I have to convince the wife. I couldn't care less about an old house, if the AC and cable work and the fridge keeps the beer cold it's good enough for me, but she's always talking about curb appeal and outdated kitchens and all that HGTV stuff. Also someone got it into her head that Einstein High (the one that Takoma and parks of SS go to) is terrible and I don't know if I can convince her otherwise.

Also, you guys are the best. All this feedback is just awesome. Our move is still about 9 months away, which is why I was only asking for background on the Anne Arundel schools, but I'll walk away from the thread with a ton of helpful stuff. Really, thanks a lot :thumbup:
When I grew up, we called it Crimestein.

Now my kids are in schools feeding into it.

I keep hearing how much improved it is, but I'm not really going to make the call on private vs public until my 7 year old hits 8th grade.

At any rate, that is one of 5 MoCo schools in the "Downcounty Consortium". If you live in an area feeding any one of these 5 schools, you can pick whichever one suits your child best. Which is good, but not as good as being in one of the schools to the western side of the county.

I couldn't care less about an old house, if the AC and cable work and the fridge keeps the beer cold it's good enough for me, but she's always talking about curb appeal and outdated kitchens and all that HGTV stuff.
I hear ya. Add in a 12 year old daughter and my list of next potential houses is going to be extremely limited.

Not sure if I mentioned the town of Clifton before. It's a nice, historic, quaint town. It's walkable with a few good restaurants (Trummers is supposed to be great) and a general store, decent prices, and great schools. Commute would, of course, not be good. You can watch the VRE trains go through town and not stop! Also, another downside, in my mind at least, is that I think the small town is probably 100% white...like, khaki shorts, dress shirt, with sweater tired around neck and shoulders type of white. They're a bit snobby. If we were in the market for a house in that price range, we'd strongly consider living in the town of Clifton but would possibly ultimately opt against it because of the whiteness.

(HULK), my boy went to Rock View for summer school in 2013, and it was a very, very positive experience. Also a huge fan of that general area, for quality of life, of course, as opposed to politics :P ... those new homes they just finished just off Connecticut Ave at Denfeld look very, very cool.
I've been in them. They are nice. I live like 2 blocks from them. My house was redone in '08, but not near as nicely.

Rock View has been fantastic for my kids thus far. My youngest started kindergarten there this week and only has 14 kids in her class total. I keep hearing 20+ at GP and the other one in southern Kensington.

Kensington/Garrett Park is currently in a three-way tie for the lead, along with moving east to Edgewater or thereabouts and staying in the city but moving to Shepherd Park.
Long ago my wife lived out near Edgewater (in Riva). They had a commuter bus that went straight to Union Station. Commuting option for you go out that way.

Tobias, I'm not trying to start an offshoot discussion and I'm asking this with complete sincerity: how important is the political climate where you move? From most of your FFA political postings, we're fairly different cats when it comes to politics, although I'm not nearly as socially conservative as I am fiscally. I'm asking because political climate is something that's become very important to me over the years. That may be because I've lived in Montgomery County for 47 years, and over the last 2 decades it's shifted so far to the ETA: LEFT that it's become downright uncomfortable for me to live here. I'm locked in right now for 2 reasons: My Dad set up his estate so that as long as my Mom doesn't absolutely NEED to be in an assisted living facility due to medical reasons, and I can take care of her, I'm acting as her primary caregiver. (which is why I'm not actively running a restaurant kitchen full-time, or owning my own place at this time). She's 87, and still living a decent and relatively active life, I love her with all my heart and absolutely hope she lives another 87, but she's happily in place and not moving anywhere; and secondarily, because my stepson just started middle school, and I'd like to keep him in MCPS until he graduates HS, which is 7 years hence...but if I could...I'd be out of here yesterday...

2) I grew up in 20895. Went to Barnsley ES and EB Wood MS. Private for HS.

Hahaha, see the bolded above in my quote! I meant LEFT. Probably makes a lot more sense now...

Cripes, I went to Barnsley and Wood!!! Graduated from Rockville HS in '86...do we know each other?
Probably not. I graduated from Good Counsel in '95.

I didn't grow up in Flower Valley though... over closer to Bel Pre and Georgia. Grew up on Chadwick Lane :)

I couldn't care less about an old house, if the AC and cable work and the fridge keeps the beer cold it's good enough for me, but she's always talking about curb appeal and outdated kitchens and all that HGTV stuff.
I hear ya. Add in a 12 year old daughter and my list of next potential houses is going to be extremely limited.

Not sure if I mentioned the town of Clifton before. It's a nice, historic, quaint town. It's walkable with a few good restaurants (Trummers is supposed to be great) and a general store, decent prices, and great schools. Commute would, of course, not be good. You can watch the VRE trains go through town and not stop! Also, another downside, in my mind at least, is that I think the small town is probably 100% white...like, khaki shorts, dress shirt, with sweater tired around neck and shoulders type of white. They're a bit snobby. If we were in the market for a house in that price range, we'd strongly consider living in the town of Clifton but would possibly ultimately opt against it because of the whiteness.
Thanks, definitely gonna file this one away and look into it further. Looks like maybe 20 min to an orange line stop but at least it's a straight shot from there, albeit a long one.

Long ago my wife lived out near Edgewater (in Riva). They had a commuter bus that went straight to Union Station. Commuting option for you go out that way.
There's actually two that go literally to the front of my building from the two park and rides just off 50, which is a big reason why we're checking it out.

Does you wife have any insight into the schools by any chance?

5 homes currently for sale within 2/3 blocks of the Kensington MARC stop.

4 are $600K or less. One is $975K.

I love that area. They should all feed into Walter Johnson right there as well, so you don't have the same worries I do about Einstein.

Thanks, definitely gonna file this one away and look into it further. Looks like maybe 20 min to an orange line stop but at least it's a straight shot from there, albeit a long one.
Doubt you could get to Vienna that quickly. Maybe Springfield Metro, but my guess is that's a little more than 20. Google puts them at about 23-24 minutes. Burke VRE is only about 15 minutes away.

There's actually two that go literally to the front of my building from the two park and rides just off 50, which is a big reason why we're checking it out.

Nope. She lived up there before marriage/kids, and only for about 4 years.

Rockville HS was an outstanding school for a very long time, well into the 90's, while Richard Montgomery was pretty much the ghetto. Most of that came from the surrounding communities of Maryvale and Lincoln Park, along with some of Twinbrook. There was an active and violent gang based largely out of that school called 'The A Team' that drove around in vans terrorizing the surrounding schools in the District. When those vans showed up at your high school, you knew someone was going to be getting a vicious beat-down. How times have changed, and largely due to politics. Little known story, case in point: when Doug Duncan was County Executive, his political team felt it would be politically expedient for his children to attend public school. He lived right off of Beall Ave, in behind where the new Town Center, is located. Right in the heart of the Richard Montgomery school district. All kinds of political shenanigans between County Government and MCPS took place, including redistricting and shifting of funds. Basically gentrified the entire area for the sake of political will. The way I understand it, Rockville HS was due up next in the queue for a major facility overhaul, and a major shift took place to renovate RM, turn it into a Magnet School, largely because Duncan didn't want his kids going to a public school might get in harms way. Not only that, they redistricted a lot of the bad kids towards RHS. There is a lot of bitter over that in the older Rockville High School community that witnessed the changes firsthand. I have been, and remain a booster of RHS. One of my buddies that I graduated HS with has taught there for years, and coaches one of the sports teams there, so I find myself around there quite a bit. Man, has the student body changed from when I attended that school. Very, very sad.

I'm guessing one of the P&Rs was at 50/424? Where was the other?

Dunno the addresses- it's the Harry Truman one and the Davidsonville one.

Dunno the addresses- it's the Harry Truman one and the Davidsonville one.
Harry Truman is right off of Riva Rd next to the DMV. Depending on where in Edgewater you'd be living, it's maybe 15-20 minutes in all but the very worst traffic.

This location is ideal for people of Tobias' ilk (as Tony Kornheiser would say). If you drive an expensive car, the VA car tax will convince you to drive a beater ;) . MD has no car tax or annual safety inspection.

My niece lives up in Kensington just a short (15 minute) walk from the MARC station

MD has a 6% excise tax on all vehicle purchases or leases though. It's just not annual.
VA charges you a "sales/use" tax of 4.1% (or $75, whichever is greater) when you title a car, in addition to the annual personal property tax assessed by the city/county (depending on where you live).

Ended up going to the Nats game yesterday with a friend of mine and I must say if anything it was quite entertaining.A few things stood out but I guess being a local sports fan I'm kind of used to these things happening.

A ton of Mets fans were in attendance.Again no surprise as all of the franchises here have the same problem but it is always a bit of a shock when I do run into it.

Nats fans got up and left in the 7th in herds.You just saw Ramos hit a huge GS a few innings earlier to take the lead and with this one of the biggest games of the year and it being a holiday you decide to leave now?

Matt Williams seems pretty lost at times coaching.Did not agree with the 1st inning infield in call(even though Max got them out of it)with Niese on the mound for the Mets.You were going to get runs against him,that wasn't the time to try and make it a bigger inning.

Overall though I had a good time even though they lost.Hopefully they can turn it around and take this series or otherwise the fat lady will be taking the stage.

As far as Anne Arundel schools go, I always hear good things about River Hill (mentioned earlier) and Severna Park.

Tobias, I'm not trying to start an offshoot discussion and I'm asking this with complete sincerity: how important is the political climate where you move? From most of your FFA political postings, we're fairly different cats when it comes to politics, although I'm not nearly as socially conservative as I am fiscally. I'm asking because political climate is something that's become very important to me over the years. That may be because I've lived in Montgomery County for 47 years, and over the last 2 decades it's shifted so far to the right that it's become downright uncomfortable for me to live here. I'm locked in right now for 2 reasons: My Dad set up his estate so that as long as my Mom doesn't absolutely NEED to be in an assisted living facility due to medical reasons, and I can take care of her, I'm acting as her primary caregiver. (which is why I'm not actively running a restaurant kitchen full-time, or owning my own place at this time). She's 87, and still living a decent and relatively active life, I love her with all my heart and absolutely hope she lives another 87, but she's happily in place and not moving anywhere; and secondarily, because my stepson just started middle school, and I'd like to keep him in MCPS until he graduates HS, which is 7 years hence...but if I could...I'd be out of here yesterday...

Don't really care about politics of my community. I mostly avoid those discussions IRL. Honestly I'd be more concerned about living amongst a bunch of Orioles and Ravens fans than about living amongst a bunch of conservatives. I just get into that stuff around here because my job requires me to avoid arguments and partisanship so I gotta vent somewhere :boxing:

Montgomery County is definitely in the mix for us. I grew up out there myself and went to the public schools and my folks are still there. The two problems are (1) price of course, and (2) the commute still kinda sucks despite the proximity because I'd have to ride through all of NW and change trains to get here. I figure if it's still gonna take me 45-50 minutes door to door I might as well live somewhere where I can afford more house for less money ... if I can find good schools as well.

Anyway I'll check out Flower Valley, maybe add it to our MoCo list along with Garrett Park and Kensington. Thanks!
Garrett Park here. Big fan. Garret Park Estates is going through the process Bethesda did over the last 10-15 years: the older smaller houses are still affordable but mostly as teardowns or renovations. The resulting new/renovated houses are significantly more valuable. We are doing that soon. And you are right by 2 metros and the beltway. With the buildup around White Flint, this area (20852) will be a lot more urban suburban area and less stripmalls very soon. 20 restaurants have opened within walking distance of where we live here in the last 3 years.

Sweet J said:
Suggestions for a decent happy hour in Balston/Arlington/Clarendon? Need to take my former boss tomorrow.
I really like Rustico, but craft beer is almost always my focus.

Sweet J said:
Suggestions for a decent happy hour in Balston/Arlington/Clarendon? Need to take my former boss tomorrow.
Terrible news for the greater Ballston area restaurant scene, as of September 19, Willow is closing.

Sweet J, if you take your former boss here, there's almost no way he/she doesn't come away impressed.

Everybody: it's VERY WORTH making a special trip out here before it's gone.

Tracy O'Grady, the Chef, competed in the prestigious Bocuse D'Or culinary competition in France, and is one of the area's finer, and more underrated talents. The folks behind the bread and bakery, if I'm not mistaken, are the same folks who started Firehook Bakery, one of the best bakeries in the greater DC metro area. As upscale a place as Willow can be, it has a casual side as well, and is widely considered by most culinary folks to have, hands down, THE. BEST. BURGER. in the entire greater DC metro area. Won the DC area Burger Bash year after year after year.

Seriously. Go while you still can. Probably closer to now, than the 19th. By nature, things tend to fall off at the end, as they run out of product, and try to run out of everything before shutting the doors one last time.

http://www.willowva.com/- Apparently they've taken down the menu and details, but I'd vouch for them that they're going to give 100% right to the bitter end.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/bestbites/food-restaurant-news/willow-restaurant-will-close-after-10-years-in-arlington.php

https://www.google.com/search?q=Willow+Restaurant+Ballston+va&biw=1133&bih=528&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBGoVChMIxLqZjZ7qxwIVhs6ACh1oSAmf

If you've never been here, and live in the area, get there before it goes away. Willow is a unique and special place, owned by some special folks.

Hopefully they can turn it around and take this series or otherwise the fat lady will be taking the stage.
Talk about a punch directly into the nuts for any Nats/D.C. sports fan.Up 7-1 to then give up 6 and then lose it in the 8th on a pinch hit bomb.

Sitting back thinking this morning at what was the worst punch to the nuts a sports team has ever given me and I have to say the first that comes to mind was making the Stanley Cup finals to then get swept by the Wings.2nd would be the Caps getting the Presidents trophy to then go up 3-1 and then lose 3 straight to the Habs in the 1st round a few years back.Tons of 3-1 leads given away though as we saw last year even though I would contend the Rags took it instead of the Caps giving it away.

Bullets/Wiz nothing really comes to mind since the franchise was a dumpster fire for so long I kinda expected the worst and was rarely let down.Of late though Wall getting hurt last year that killed any realistic chance at advancing farther.

Never have liked the Skins but I'm starting to feel really sorry for any fan of that team.Complete disaster on almost every level the last 20 years after being one of the best franchises for quite a few years.

Anything come to mind for you guys?

Sweet J said:
I like Rustico too, for the same reason. In Clarendon, Galaxy Hut for a dive; maybe Lyon Hall for more upscale.

...BTW, Ocelot anywhere in Arlington/Alexandria yet?

Sweet J said:
As upscale a place as Willow can be, it has a casual side as well, and is widely considered by most culinary folks to have, hands down, THE. BEST. BURGER. in the entire greater DC metro area. Won the DC area Burger Bash year after year after year.
I've heard this for years about the burgers and never gone to Willow. Perhaps I should finally stop in for a meal.

Countdown to 3 weeks till I take the family to DC for a week. Staying two blocks from White House, so should be walking distance or metro to most places. Not getting a car.

Any recommendations on dinner spots? My boys are 11-8-6.
DC has some good pizza options. Nittany recently mentioned Pizzeria Paradiso (Dupont Circle and Georgetown). 14th Street has Etto and Ghibellina, which I've heard are good but haven't been myself. I've enjoyed Seventh Hill Pizza in Eastern Market/Capitol Hill area and there's also Pete's Apizza in Columbia Heights, neither are walking distance from your hotel but are Metro accessible.

I'm sure the boys would like Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street. Wouldn't be a horrible walk depending on where your hotel is, but also Metro accessible.

Good Stuff Eatery for burgers and shakes? That's Georgetown and Eastern Market. I don't think it's anything great or worth going out of your way for, but boys will definitely like it assuming they like burgers and shakes. And if you go to the Georgetown one (or Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown), you can waste your time in a line for Georgetown Cupcake. Not sure what's considered the best local burger place these days.

The heaviest concentration of restaurants is probably on 7th Street near the Gallery Place Metro Station and Georgetown if you just want to walk around and see what you stumble upon. Google Maps is my friend for finding places to eat in other cities.

Georgetown isn't Metro Accessible. Not a terrible walk from Rosslyn to the west end of Georgetown or from Foggy Bottom to the east end. Or there's a DC Circulator route that will go from near your hotel to Georgetown. If you're comfortable with figuring out bus routes, it's easy enough.

I'm just assuming you're looking for options on the cheaper side. If not, there's a ton more out there. Figured I'd just throw some ideas out there, bump the thread, and maybe others would have some suggestions too.
I was going to suggest Gallery Place as a neighborhood with a few options that is likely somewhat close to where they are staying (depending on which side of the White House they are on). Hill Country BBQ, Shake Shack, and Matchbox pizza all in that neighborhood and would probably work well with three kids.
Hilton Garden Inn Downtown (815 14th Street N.W).

thanks for all the ideas...flying out tomorrow!!!

Sweet J said:
I like Rustico too, for the same reason. In Clarendon, Galaxy Hut for a dive; maybe Lyon Hall for more upscale.

Yup! We actually have a lot of accounts down the 66 and on in to DC now. Off the top of my head in that area.... Rustico, Galaxy Hut, World of Beer, Whole Foods, Westover Market, both Lost Dogs, Spacebar... I can shoot you a whole list if you like.

Sebowski said:
Don Quixote said:
Sebowski said:
Sweet J said:

Yup! We actually have a lot of accounts down the 66 and on in to DC now. Off the top of my head in that area.... Rustico, Galaxy Hut, World of Beer, Whole Foods, Westover Market, both Lost Dogs, Spacebar... I can shoot you a whole list if you like.
Cool. I've been to the Lost Dog and Rustico in Alexandria fairly recently, but didn't see you listed there. Maybe you are at the other locations. I'll take a PM with the list if you've got it. Thanks.

Two other restaurants VERY worth checking out (and honestly right now might be better, and better value than Willow) in the greater Ballston area are:

Top Chef Mike Isabella's Kapnos Taverna: If you want some idea of the food I typically cook for clients, this is a close approximation, although this is primarily Greek, and I call what I do "Mediterranean Rim".

http://kapnostaverna.com/

and

SER: http://www.ser-restaurant.com/

The restaurant scene in that area has expanded exponentially in the 10 years Willow has been open. I know Willow signed a 10-year lease that is likely expiring right now, and I'm sure their landlord probably upped the rent significantly when they sat down to extend/re-negotiate. Sad.

Sebowski said:
Don Quixote said:
Sebowski said:
Sweet J said:

Cool. I've been to the Lost Dog and Rustico in Alexandria fairly recently, but didn't see you listed there. Maybe you are at the other locations. I'll take a PM with the list if you've got it. Thanks.
My sales guy just told me those places are blowing through kegs within a day or two of putting them on. Only delivering once a week right now. Hope to start making bigger batches ASAP. Never hurts us if you ask for it :)

Ended up going to the Redskins game today. On the way out my buddy told me we should get some Ramen. I didn't object. Who would object to that? He took me here. Whoa. I thought I had good Ramen before. Now I feel like a total rube. :bag: THIS. This is good Ramen. Had the Spicy Miso add egg and extra nori. And a Sapporo and glass of Sake. Then we went upstairs and told the bartender to make us a stiff whiskey drink; his call. Made us a rye Rattlesnake. ####### perfect.

Ended up going to the Redskins game today. On the way out my buddy told me we should get some Ramen. I didn't object. Who would object to that? He took me here. Whoa. I thought I had good Ramen before. Now I feel like a total rube. :bag: THIS. This is good Ramen. Had the Spicy Miso add egg and extra nori. And a Sapporo and glass of Sake. Then we went upstairs and told the bartender to make us a stiff whiskey drink; his call. Made us a rye Rattlesnake. ####### perfect.
At first glance I thought the :bag: was from going to the skins game! ;)

Thanks to Walnutz, hooked me up with Gil and a private tour of DC monuments for my family last night. Not cheap, but totally worth it and I'd recommend to anyone.

Thanks to Walnutz, hooked me up with Gil and a private tour of DC monuments for my family last night. Not cheap, but totally worth it and I'd recommend to anyone.
What do you get on a private tour? Some info, stories, and tidbits?

Well my travel to DC really picks up the next few weeks. I'll be there 5 of the next 6 weeks, flying in on Monday and back on Thursday every week. Due to a conflict this week I'm not leaving until tomorrow this week. Staying at Key Bridge Marriott and the Foggy Bottom Residence Inn unless I can get better rates somewhere else. All the Marriott's (I'm platinum, need my points and perks) are at least $299/night for the foreseeable future. Any idea why? This summer I could regularly find rooms at full Marriotts for 150/night.

I'm working near the Courthouse metro, so I'd take suggestions on other Marriott hotels but I prefer to be in or closer to the District rather than further out in VA.

Users who are viewing this thread