What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Percy Harvin Hype machine (1 Viewer)

Maven said:
Fear & Loathing said:
Maven said:
I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.

Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
You seriously think when it gets down to the nitty gritty, Minn will go to Harvin over Peterson inside the 5? I'd argue Sidney Rice is even a better redzone threat. Don't over value Harvin. He won't even come close to having a Desean Jackson type impact.
You found your way into the wrong thread. This is the Percy Harvin Hype Train thread. We know he's going to have an instant impact. Per our usual custom, skeptics will be derided throughout the season.
I have read most of the stuff written about Harvin and watched him play only minimally. He certainly is a nice talent.My question is this: How are you expecting a Chris Johnson-like impact when he has no clearly defined role? Maybe I am being ignorant. He isnt a starting WR and AP is the unquestioned RB who will get 15-24 touches a game varying each week. How many snaps is he really likely to get? I just dont see how he is going to make an impact like Forte or Jonhson without a clear role and defined touches per game :thumbup: Seriously, where is this guy going to get enough reps to make him a starter on a fantasy team?

in a standard scoring, 5 keeper league, torry holt and a first (equivalent to 6th round) for percy.

on the train!

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?!??????????
Is Harvin even going to be the WR2 or will that be Rice? I thought Harvin was going to pplay out of the slot and then whatever gimmick plays they come up for him with out of the backfield.
Scratching my head....... :lmao: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :hifive: :hifive: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
Hahahah, you cant be serious. Harvin 58rec? His catch rate will probably be in the low 50s (lots of drops early in camp). That means it will take a some odd 110+ looks to get to his 58 catches. Do you honestly see that happening?Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!Berrian avg 20 ypc, more than anyone in the league last year. He played with the crapiest pair of QBs in the league and was paid major $$$ to be the #1 WR in Minn, not #2. ALL ROOKIE WRs experience learning curves (except the Moss' of the world). With Rice healthy, Berrian doing his thing and Shianacoe over the middle, Harvin's impact will slim if any.Harvin is not an in ideal situation to have the type of impact you are forecasting.

Last edited by a moderator:
jurb26 said:
Maven said:
I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?!??????????
Is Harvin even going to be the WR2 or will that be Rice? I thought Harvin was going to pplay out of the slot and then whatever gimmick plays they come up for him with out of the backfield.
Scratching my head....... :lmao: :lmao: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........

He's the WR1

Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......

Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.

I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door.

The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle.

Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs

:shrug: :lmao:

But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!

Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.

Harvin - 58 rec

Berrian - 47 rec

Rice - 38 rec

Shiancoe/TEs - 42

Wade/Other WRs - 36

RBs - 45
Hahahah, you cant be serious. Harvin 58rec? His catch rate will probably be in the low 50s (lots of drops early in camp). That means it will take a some odd 110+ looks to get to his 58 catches. Do you honestly see that happening?
the only problem that I've heard he is having is adjusting to returning punts, which he probably isn't going to anyways.

I have read most of the stuff written about Harvin and watched him play only minimally. He certainly is a nice talent.

My question is this: How are you expecting a Chris Johnson-like impact when he has no clearly defined role? Maybe I am being ignorant. He isnt a starting WR and AP is the unquestioned RB who will get 15-24 touches a game varying each week. How many snaps is he really likely to get? I just dont see how he is going to make an impact like Forte or Jonhson without a clear role and defined touches per game :shrug: Seriously, where is this guy going to get enough reps to make him a starter on a fantasy team?
Why do you need Harvin to have a traditional defined role? Nobody except the believers in the hype train thread thought Chris Johnson was going to have a defined role as the Titans feature back. The great majority of people believe LenDale White was going to be the early-down back with Johnson as a third-down back. There was no defined role for Johnson.Harvin is playing a new position called the Percy Position, so you're not going to see a traditional role. Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin and Marques Colston made instant impacts with 5 touches per game. Harvin could come close to doubling that number as a runner/receiver/wildcat QB/trick play artist. The potential for long-gainers is off the charts.

And where are you guys getting the idea that he's going to be hurting for reps? Are you just keeping your head in the sand when it comes to reports out of Vikings camp? This guy and Adrian Peterson are the offense.

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :lmao: :lmao: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........

He's the WR1

Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......

Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.

I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door.

The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle.

Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs

:shrug: :lmao:

Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.

Harvin - 58 rec

Berrian - 47 rec

Rice - 38 rec

Shiancoe/TEs - 42

Wade/Other WRs - 36

RBs - 45
Hahahah, you cant be serious. Harvin 58rec? His catch rate will probably be in the low 50s (lots of drops early in camp). That means it will take a some odd 110+ looks to get to his 58 catches. Do you honestly see that happening?
the only problem that I've heard he is having is adjusting to returning punts, which he probably isn't going to anyways.
Even that I only heard about on one day. The next day he did much better.

Harvin shows highlight-film ability

Percy Harvin

Last update: August 7, 2009 - 8:25 AM

Big-play Percy

First-round draft pick Percy Harvin provided those in attendance at the morning practice with a glimpse of his playmaking ability. In one-on-one drills featuring receivers and cornerbacks, Harvin got past Marcus Walker and caught a pass from Tarvaris Jackson that traveled about 45 yards and would have been a 72-yard touchdown play. Later in 7-on-7 drills, Harvin made a nice double move and caught a 30-yard pass from Sage Rosenfels before rookie safety Jamarca Sanford could get over to help.

Not to be outdone

A day after leaping to catch a touchdown pass from Rosenfels during the two-minute drill, Sidney Rice went up again, this time over cornerback Karl Paymah, to grab about a 45-yard pass from Rosenfels. Rice was bothered by a knee injury last season but appears to be stronger and thus is getting better leverage when he attempts to get inside on defenders.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/...L7PQLanchO7DiUr

MANKATO - The Vikings gave a glimpse of just how difficult they might be able to make life on opposing defenses this season as they worked on a variation of the Wildcat offense during an 11-on-11 segment on Thursday.

Childress' desire to see improvement in a passing game that will be directed by either Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels does not come as a surprise. In Childress' three seasons in Minnesota, the Vikings have finished 18th (195.2 yards per game), 28th (171.6) and 25th (184.4) in passing offense.

The Vikings are hoping rookie receiver Percy Harvin can play a key role in improving those rankings, and it might not only be by catching the ball. Harvin also lined up as the quarterback as the Vikings ran less than a handful of plays out of an offensive set that the Dolphins made popular last season.

The formation means either Jackson or Rosenfels is split out as a receiver. Jackson, back from a sprained left knee, likes the change of pace.

"It's fun for me. I get a chance to get out there [on the outside] and bang a little bit," he said. "I actually got shook by [cornerback] Benny Sapp trying to block him. I was basically trying to stay out of his way. I didn't want to bump knees or anything. But he made me look bad. I told him if I was 100 percent I would have pancaked him."

But Childress made it clear that potentially using Harvin, or anyone else, to take direct snaps remains a work in progress. "We're just seeing exactly what we are, who we are and just trying to kind of fine-tune different things,'' he said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/...?page=2&c=y

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :lmao: :lmao: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :shrug: :lmao: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
So Harvin will have more receptions than any Minn WR in the past 5 years and do so as a rookie?
Stop holding on to all of this recent history, historical data stuff. Is that how you play fantasy football, living off what is done by others in the past? Each year is a new year. Owners with this football historian mindset, IMO, are some of the easiest prey in fantasy leagues. Step into the new era man, you have to project some of the guys who can be real difference-makers for not only their NFL teams, but also your fantasy team. Keep selecting the Coles', Berrians, and Kevin Walters of the world at the same draft slot you could be getting a difference-making player the likes of Harvin. Alright already, I'm done debating with u guys and I'm outta this thread as now my chances of acquiring Harvin from the previous non-believers has gone down to well below the Mendoza line.......

Yeah, I think Harvin could very well get more receptions than any Minn WR in the past five years and so so as a rookie. 58 receptions? Let's break it down:

Avg about 2 swing pass receptions per game = 32 catches

Avg about 1.25 intermediate (deep out, square in, slant) per game = 20 catches

Avg about 1 deep catch every three games = 5 catches

That's 57 catches right there. And really you have to remember that even if this projection seems too ambitious, consider he'll probably average 3-5 rushes per game (counting the swing passes or screens that could be scored as rushes if thrown behind the line of scrimmage). I think 50-60 touches is well within reach. 80 is possible if they really get inventive, execute well, and Harvin can deliver on them

Yeah, I think Harvin could very well get more receptions than any Minn WR in the past five years and so so as a rookie. 58 receptions? Let's break it down:

That's 57 catches right there. And really you have to remember that even if this projection seems too ambitious, consider he'll probably average 3-5 rushes per game (counting the swing passes or screens that could be scored as rushes if thrown behind the line of scrimmage). I think 50-60 touches is well within reach. 80 is possible if they really get inventive, execute well, and Harvin can deliver on them
Under Childress and Darrell Bevell (OC).

2006 - Targets

Bethel Johnson 9

Travis Taylor 87

Troy Williamson 76

2007 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 18

Bobby Wade 83

Sidney Rice 53

Troy Williamson 38

Visanthe Shiancoe 43

2008 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 22

Bernard Berrian 95

Bobby Wade 88

Sidney Rice 31

Visanthe Shiancoe 59

Under Childress and Darrell Bevell (OC).

2006 - Targets

Bethel Johnson 9

Travis Taylor 87

Troy Williamson 76

2007 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 18

Bobby Wade 83

Sidney Rice 53

Troy Williamson 38

Visanthe Shiancoe 43

2008 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 22

Bernard Berrian 95

Bobby Wade 88

Sidney Rice 31

Visanthe Shiancoe 59
So, you are basically pointing out that they have not had a WR with near the ability of Harvin to work with in their time with the Vikings!

Yeah, I think Harvin could very well get more receptions than any Minn WR in the past five years and so so as a rookie. 58 receptions? Let's break it down:Avg about 2 swing pass receptions per game = 32 catchesAvg about 1.25 intermediate (deep out, square in, slant) per game = 20 catchesAvg about 1 deep catch every three games = 5 catchesThat's 57 catches right there. And really you have to remember that even if this projection seems too ambitious, consider he'll probably average 3-5 rushes per game (counting the swing passes or screens that could be scored as rushes if thrown behind the line of scrimmage). I think 50-60 touches is well within reach. 80 is possible if they really get inventive, execute well, and Harvin can deliver on them
None of this matters because he's listed as a WR and even @ 60 catches he's not worth having in my starting lineup. Now if he was listed as a RB like Chris Johnson, okay, he'd be all over my radar - but until that happens I don't really care. I worry about players I want to start, not tier 8 (at best, according to your projections) rookie wide outs. :blackdot:

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :lmao: :lmao: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :blackdot: :lmao: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
So Harvin will have more receptions than any Minn WR in the past 5 years and do so as a rookie?
And since when is 58 receptions awesome fantasy wise out of a player? He is at best going to be a spot starter this season for fantasy purposes. In redraft he is being over hyped.

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :cry: :cry: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
And since when is 58 receptions awesome fantasy wise out of a player? He is at best going to be a spot starter this season for fantasy purposes. In redraft he is being over hyped.
If he were ONLY a receiver, then I would agree with you, but there aren't too many WRs in this league that are expected to get 5 or 6 carries a game on top of their receptions. 5 or 6 carries a game could easily mean 20-30 yards rushing or more, considering he averaged almost 10 yards a carry in college. Plus, with his break away speed and agility, it isn't hard to envision him breaking a moderately long pass or run every game. I expect him to be a very good WR2 or WR3 play this year and one that could singlehandedly win you a week with a breakout game or two. That's not something you can usually get at his ADP in redrafts.

Why do people continue to concentrate only on receptions and ignore the fact that he'll be getting just as many carries, if not more? Do the WRs in your leagues not get credit for rushing yards and rushing TDs?

:thumbdown:

If he were ONLY a receiver, then I would agree with you, but there aren't too many WRs in this league that are expected to get 5 or 6 carries a game on top of their receptions. 5 or 6 carries a game could easily mean 20-30 yards rushing or more, considering he averaged almost 10 yards a carry in college.
Where does the 5 or 6 figure come from? Is there any actual basis for it?

Why do people continue to concentrate only on receptions and ignore the fact that he'll be getting just as many carries, if not more? Do the WRs in your leagues not get credit for rushing yards and rushing TDs? :lmao:
This is why I am on board with this guy. You don't take him in the 1st round, and try and turn him into Isaac Bruce. This kid is going to have a package of stuff to get him involved.And no matter how dangerous, he'll never be the defense's biggest concern, not with ADP on the field.I love him this year. Still think he may be a DBag, and might throw it all away later, but this year? Value.

Why do people continue to concentrate only on receptions and ignore the fact that he'll be getting just as many carries, if not more? Do the WRs in your leagues not get credit for rushing yards and rushing TDs? :lol:
LOL, was wondering the same thing.Question: if everyone in here really believes that Harvin is going to get so many touches, how does this influence your view of:a) APb) Chester Taylorc) remaining Vikings WRs and TEs

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........

He's the WR1

:thumbup: :popcorn:

Harvin - 58 rec

Berrian - 47 rec

Rice - 38 rec

Shiancoe/TEs - 42

Wade/Other WRs - 36

RBs - 45
Hahahah, you cant be serious. Harvin 58rec? His catch rate will probably be in the low 50s (lots of drops early in camp). That means it will take a some odd 110+ looks to get to his 58 catches. Do you honestly see that happening?Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Berrian avg 20 ypc, more than anyone in the league last year. He played with the crapiest pair of QBs in the league and was paid major $$$ to be the #1 WR in Minn, not #2. ALL ROOKIE WRs experience learning curves (except the Moss' of the world). With Rice healthy, Berrian doing his thing and Shianacoe over the middle, Harvin's impact will slim if any.

Harvin is not an in ideal situation to have the type of impact you are forecasting.
Devery Henderson avg 24.8 ypc last seasonAnd yes, I am serious.

Question: if everyone in here really believes that Harvin is going to get so many touches, how does this influence your view of:a) APb) Chester Taylorc) remaining Vikings WRs and TEs
a) Helps AP immensely, as the attention Harvin draws will keep an extra defender out of the box and loosen the offense.b) Probably hurts Taylor because Harvin will steal a few carries per game and possibly some third-down backfield action. c) Hurts remaining WRs and TEs, though the upgrade from Jackson/Frerotte to Rosenfels on deep balls (and the offense loosening up) will make up for it on Berrian's part. Rice won't get a ton of receptions but will be a red-zone specialist. Shiancoe will see a noticeable drop in receptions but not effectiveness.

Got a question F&L

(jesh as if his value isnt high enough) but here goes.

In a ppr 2yrs ago i took Calvin Johnson as the #1 wr off the board in a startup draft. Was called crazy at the time..Some may still feel that way but i felt SO strong about Calvin's prospects i knew i had to land him on my team rather than trade for him later on, and i knew someone would jump for him before i could make my next pick.

Now on your dynasty wr rankings i KNOW you cant just list Harvin over higher rated guys as you would be answering question all day for a rook that hasnt done a thing in the nfl.

But im really interested in who you wouldnt select over Harvin "now" if you had the chance.

Out of this group:

Tier Three

9. Dwayne Bowe, KC | Age: 25.0 | Value Score: 85

10. Marques Colston, NO | Age: 26.3 | Value Score: 85

11. Anquan Boldin, ARI | Age: 28.9 | Value Score: 84

12. Wes Welker, NE | Age: 28.3 | Value Score: 82

13. Brandon Marshall, DEN | Age: 25.5 | Value Score: 81

14. Braylon Edwards, CLE | Age: 26.5 | Value Score: 81

Tier Four

15. Lee Evans, BUF | Age: 28.5 | Value Score: 73

16. Santonio Holmes, PIT | Age: 25.5 | Value Score: 73

17. Vincent Jackson, SD | Age: 26.7 | Value Score: 72

18. Terrell Owens, BUF | Age: 35.8 | Value Score: 71

19. Michael Crabtree, SF | Age: 22.0 | Value Score: 71

20. Anthony Gonzalez, IND | Age: 25.0 | Value Score: 70

21. Roy Williams, DAL | Age: 27.7 | Value Score: 69

22. Percy Harvin, MIN | Age: 21.3 | Value Score: 68

Would you take TO over Harvin in a dynasty? How about Crabtree? Evans? Where would you stop and be like i wouldnt take Harvin over this guy.

Kinda hate to ask this as it will only add to the madness of P.Harvin.

But i did with my pick when i took Calvin as a rook over everyone and this what the draft analysis said about the pick.

"UCB made their worst pick of the draft in round 2, selecting Calvin Johnson with the 16th pick of the draft, as compared to the 53rd spot he should have been selected in, according to ADP rankings."

I recently made some deals for Harvin so there is a few i would prefer his upside over in a dynasty.

If he were ONLY a receiver, then I would agree with you, but there aren't too many WRs in this league that are expected to get 5 or 6 carries a game on top of their receptions. 5 or 6 carries a game could easily mean 20-30 yards rushing or more, considering he averaged almost 10 yards a carry in college.
Where does the 5 or 6 figure come from? Is there any actual basis for it?
Just from the reaction at training camp. He's been lining up as the QB in their new wildcat hybrid. He's been lining up in the backfield in combo with AP and with Chester. The Vikings have supposedly drawn up 30 new plays just for utilizing his special skillset. Chilly is intent on using him, that's clear to anyone that's been following Vikings TC. We're talking about getting little more than one carry a quarter here. I have no problem saying they'll give him at least a carry every quarter with one or two more thrown in somewhere along the line.

wide receiver Percy Harvin just keeps making highlight plays. The latest came in a one-on-one with cornerback Marcus McCauley. Harvin put a move on McCauley and caught a 40-yard touchdown pass from Sage Rosenfels. Later, in 7-on-7, Harvin got behind rookie cornerback Asher Allen and hauled in a 30-yard pass from Rosenfels.

You can see more of the highlights of the practice by going to www.twitter.com/juddzulgad.

Minneapolis star & Tribune

Everyday is a highlight material for Harvin, he's quicking becoming the CJ of 2009. This is one guy I going to try draft in everyone of my leagues

Got a question F&L

In a ppr 2yrs ago i took Calvin Johnson as the #1 wr off the board in a startup draft. Was called crazy at the time..Some may still feel that way but i felt SO strong about Calvin's prospects i knew i had to land him on my team rather than trade for him later on, and i knew someone would jump for him before i could make my next pick.

Now on your dynasty wr rankings i KNOW you cant just list Harvin over higher rated guys as you would be answering question all day for a rook that hasnt done a thing in the nfl.

But im really interested in who you wouldnt select over Harvin "now" if you had the chance.

Out of this group:

Tier Three

Tier Four

Would you take TO over Harvin in a dynasty? How about Crabtree? Evans? Where would you stop and be like i wouldnt take Harvin over this guy.

But i did with my pick when i took Calvin as a rook over everyone and this what the draft analysis said about the pick.

"UCB made their worst pick of the draft in round 2, selecting Calvin Johnson with the 16th pick of the draft, as compared to the 53rd spot he should have been selected in, according to ADP rankings."

I recently made some deals for Harvin so there is a few i would prefer his upside over in a dynasty.
F&L has Harvin ranked at #12 right now

Got a question F&L

Out of this group:

Tier Three

Tier Four

F&L has Harvin ranked at #12 right now
;) I bumped him last weekend I think.

I liked Calvin Johnson much better coming into the league. But I liked Calvin (& Fitz) better than any WR coming into the league since Randy Moss.

I think Calvin debuted around #4-6 among WRs when I did the rankings going into his rookie year (For the record, Moss debuted at #1 back in 1998 ... sorry no record exits of that ranking).

So #12 is probably about right for Harvin.

Wow, I am really high on Harvin, but many in here are really taking it to the next level. I think the kid has a unique skill set that is going to be untilized in ways no other player in the league is used. But this year (redraft) it is going to be really hard seeing Harvin getting 5 to 6 carries a game, to go along with 5 ish receptions a game. Sure, Minny is scritpting up some new plays (as many as 30) so I have read but we need to put things into perspective here.

Peterson had 363 rushing attempts last season to go with 21 receptions. That is 384 touches.

C. Taylor had 101 rushing attempts to go with with 45 receptions. That is 146 touches.

In the slot Wade caught the most balls for Minny last season with 53 and this is where Harvin is going to have to earn his fantasy production for this season.

C. Taylor knows the offense and is a very good blocker and will still be involved in this offense especially on 3rd downs and he did have 800 combined yards playing behind Peterson last season. Minny did not struggle rushing the ball last year and Taylor all though not the playmaker that Harvin is, will still be important to this team.

What we keep hearing is they need to improve their passing game as their running game was well above average last year due to having the best RB in the league coupled with one of the best O lines. So they draft Harvin who will be involved in some gimmick plays for sure, the odd wildcat set or reverse and maybe even the odd hand off here and there. But at what cost will they be handing the ball off to Harvin in a normal offensive set where Peterson and or Taylor is not on the field. If they treat Harvin like a true RB in those sets it hurts the team as Peterson is much better, and in 3rd down situations there is no way Harvin is going to be as important as Taylor was last year.

So my conclusion is Harvin will have to make his impact out of the slot as a guy that will catch some balls, perhaps maybe even as many as 40 to 50. But how many gimmick plays, wild cat plays, reverses do we really see Minny running? Their running game was not the problem it was their passing game and Harvin will have to excel here to become fantasy worthy this season.

I don't see the pay off with Harving coming as early as this year.

Harvin turning heads in training camp

KFFL

Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:51:11 -0700

Paul Charchian, of KFAN in Minneapolis, reports Minnesota Vikings rookie WR Percy Harvin has looked outstanding during training camp.

And the hype continues

I have read most of the stuff written about Harvin and watched him play only minimally. He certainly is a nice talent.

My question is this: How are you expecting a Chris Johnson-like impact when he has no clearly defined role? Maybe I am being ignorant. He isnt a starting WR and AP is the unquestioned RB who will get 15-24 touches a game varying each week. How many snaps is he really likely to get? I just dont see how he is going to make an impact like Forte or Jonhson without a clear role and defined touches per game :rant: Seriously, where is this guy going to get enough reps to make him a starter on a fantasy team?
Why do you need Harvin to have a traditional defined role? Nobody except the believers in the hype train thread thought Chris Johnson was going to have a defined role as the Titans feature back. The great majority of people believe LenDale White was going to be the early-down back with Johnson as a third-down back. There was no defined role for Johnson.Harvin is playing a new position called the Percy Position, so you're not going to see a traditional role. Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin and Marques Colston made instant impacts with 5 touches per game. Harvin could come close to doubling that number as a runner/receiver/wildcat QB/trick play artist. The potential for long-gainers is off the charts.

And where are you guys getting the idea that he's going to be hurting for reps? Are you just keeping your head in the sand when it comes to reports out of Vikings camp? This guy and Adrian Peterson are the offense.
I believe in Harvin's immense talent, but I am skeptical that he is mature enough to produce as a rookie and I just dont like Childress that much. For rookie leagues he is a late round 1 prospect. In others, only a flyer, too inconsistent. I do note, of all the college flyers to come out over last twenty years, he will be closer to Warrick Dunn than Peter Warrick.

I think at best he'll be a guy you have to ride through the ups and downs. I think for every monster game you'll have to put up with a 2-3 duds...you guys claiming he could finish the season as a top 25WR are going to have to live with his inconsistency. If you're a believer you have to start him every week because if you miss the first monster game his average is going to be severely skewed. "What a steal, he averaged 12 points a game on the season and I grabbed him in the __ round!"

..well, not so much when you factor in he was on your bench for a couple of 30 point games.

I just offered an Adrian Peterson owner who is thin at RB and WR a trade. Anthony Gonzalez and Chester Taylor for Percy Harvin and was pretty much laughed at. Percy Harvins value is climbing everytime Childress says he will be a focal point in the offense. Thats pretty much everyday now.

Darko M said:
I think at best he'll be a guy you have to ride through the ups and downs. I think for every monster game you'll have to put up with a 2-3 duds...you guys claiming he could finish the season as a top 25WR are going to have to live with his inconsistency. If you're a believer you have to start him every week because if you miss the first monster game his average is going to be severely skewed. "What a steal, he averaged 12 points a game on the season and I grabbed him in the __ round!"..well, not so much when you factor in he was on your bench for a couple of 30 point games.
If I've got a WR in the 18-36 range, I'd rather he be inconsistent than consistent. If I've got a WR in the 1-18 range, I'd rather he be consistent than inconsistent.
Poor Cornelius Ingram tore the same ACL exactly a year after he originally tore it.It's a shame. He was having an excellent camp.
That is a drag. Does anyone know if having multiple ACLs in the same knee reduces the chance of fully recovering? Can we expect CI back out there next fall?
Wesley Duke tore his ACL in the same knee twice and still managed to make it to the NFL and make a roster. Of course, he finally washed out of the league after... he tore his ACL a third time.
It wasn't an argument, I was simply commenting on your calling him a game changer already. It's like if I called Aaron Rodgers a Hall of Famer.
No, it'd be like calling Eddie Royal a possession receiver, or Kyle Boller strong-armed. It's a description of his skillset.

Darko M said:
I think at best he'll be a guy you have to ride through the ups and downs. I think for every monster game you'll have to put up with a 2-3 duds...you guys claiming he could finish the season as a top 25WR are going to have to live with his inconsistency. If you're a believer you have to start him every week because if you miss the first monster game his average is going to be severely skewed. "What a steal, he averaged 12 points a game on the season and I grabbed him in the __ round!"..well, not so much when you factor in he was on your bench for a couple of 30 point games.
That might be true of a typical first round rookie WR, but I think part of the reason people believe Harvin will be different is precisely because his unique skill set demands touches and will guarantee that he's a big part of the game plan every week.I don't like the comparisons that people have made with Harvin and other NFL RBs, but in this regard I do think he's similar to Reggie Bush. The team will want to get him the ball as often as possible to give him the opportunity to make plays. This has been enough to make Bush a great player in PPR when healthy and I think it could do the same for Harvin right away.

Darko M said:
That might be true of a typical first round rookie WR, but I think part of the reason people believe Harvin will be different is precisely because his unique skill set demands touches and will guarantee that he's a big part of the game plan every week.I don't like the comparisons that people have made with Harvin and other NFL RBs, but in this regard I do think he's similar to Reggie Bush. The team will want to get him the ball as often as possible to give him the opportunity to make plays. This has been enough to make Bush a great player in PPR when healthy and I think it could do the same for Harvin right away.
Bush is a great PPR player because he's listed at RB. He catches like a WR and still gets 150-175 carries a year. Harvin being listed as a WR is hurting his value vs if was listed at RB and took some carries. Whatever rushing yards he gets will help.. total yards always do.. but will it be enough to make him a low end #1 WR in PPR as it makes Bush a low end #1 RB in PPR? My guess is no.. but I do think he is tremendous value at his ADP right now and will do enough to warrant him as a WR2.

Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :popcorn: :popcorn: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
:shrug: Agreed, guys like Harvin are fun to watch, but they always get selected too early, well too early in their careers...

2009-08-08 14:53:03

Paul Charchian, of KFAN in Minneapolis, reports Minnesota Vikings rookie WR Percy Harvin has looked outstanding during training camp.

Fantasy Impact: Harvin has a ton of talent, so this isn't a surprise. He could have a big rookie season as the Vikings want to get him involved in the offense in a variety of ways.

Source: KFFL.com

The hype continues .....

:popcorn:

:unsure: Agreed, guys like Harvin are fun to watch, but they always get selected too early, well too early in their careers...
Once again, you guys do realize that he's going to get both receptions AND carries, right?

Darko M said:
Bush did not have Adrian Peterson to take away the carries. He more had Chester Taylor like in Deuce. Bush plays with a team that passes for 4500 yards a year compared to 3000. He might have Bush abilities but the situation is not close. I see 50 rush attempts and 50 pass receptions on the year and until Peterson is no longer in the league. This is hardly fantasyL startable overall and I am probably high on what the receptions will be. Not many TD's either as he wont be GL type back or red zone target either. I think Rice is the better red zone guy with his size

Darko M said:
This was my thoughts last year on RB chris Johnson, home run hitter, up and down, not startable, etc.Well I passed on him in most of drafts, how do you think that worked out for me. I ate a lot of crow alsoHarvin will be the real deal, he be on the field most of the time, do people think Rice or Wade will be starting over him? Off course every player has a few bad games, it doesn't matter if your LT or P. Manning no one will score 30 points a week/every weekThe training camp highlights on Havrin are unreal, he's not just burning guys by 5 yards, I mean he's 10 to 15 yards open, throw in wildcat and running plays, this guy will score a lot of FF points for your team on regular basis. I see in mock drafts,-- 12 teams --Harvin is going between round 9 to 12, more upside then anyone else I see in this range

Darko M said:
I think at best he'll be a guy you have to ride through the ups and downs. I think for every monster game you'll have to put up with a 2-3 duds...you guys claiming he could finish the season as a top 25WR are going to have to live with his inconsistency. If you're a believer you have to start him every week because if you miss the first monster game his average is going to be severely skewed. "What a steal, he averaged 12 points a game on the season and I grabbed him in the __ round!"

..well, not so much when you factor in he was on your bench for a couple of 30 point games.
This was my thoughts last year on RB chris Johnson, home run hitter, up and down, not startable, etc.Well I passed on him in most of drafts, how do you think that worked out for me. I ate a lot of crow also

Harvin will be the real deal, he be on the field most of the time, do people think Rice or Wade will be starting over him?

Off course every player has a few bad games, it doesn't matter if your LT or P. Manning no one will score 30 points a week/every week

The training camp highlights on Havrin are unreal, he's not just burning guys by 5 yards, I mean he's 10 to 15 yards open, throw in wildcat and running plays, this guy will score a lot of FF points for your team on regular basis.

I see in mock drafts,-- 12 teams --Harvin is going between round 9 to 12, more upside then anyone else I see in this range
Link?

Darko M said:

This was my thoughts last year on RB chris Johnson, home run hitter, up and down, not startable, etc.Well I passed on him in most of drafts, how do you think that worked out for me. I ate a lot of crow also

Harvin will be the real deal, he be on the field most of the time, do people think Rice or Wade will be starting over him?

Off course every player has a few bad games, it doesn't matter if your LT or P. Manning no one will score 30 points a week/every week

The training camp highlights on Havrin are unreal, he's not just burning guys by 5 yards, I mean he's 10 to 15 yards open, throw in wildcat and running plays, this guy will score a lot of FF points for your team on regular basis.

I see in mock drafts,-- 12 teams --Harvin is going between round 9 to 12, more upside then anyone else I see in this range
Go back and read the recaps. He's burning rookies. Ain't exactly like he's buring Winfield or Griffin.

Darko M said:

Go back and read the recaps. He's burning rookies. Ain't exactly like he's buring Winfield or Griffin.
I've been thinking this same thing with every article or post saying how great Harvin looks. Seems he is doing all these great things vs. guys who will get cut in a few weeks. Still, anyone who is in love with Harvin already doesn't exactly have reason to change their mind based on him beating up on marginal players... that's what he should do.Reading through the FBG mail bag it looks like the Minn coaches are committing to getting Peterson more touches this year. Particularly in the passing game. How should we expect this impacts Harvin?

Darko M said:

ACTUALLY one of the so called rookies will be starting for MN

Darko M said:

ACTUALLY one of the so called rookies will be starting for MN
In place of Winfield or Griffin? Either way, that would be terrible news for MN

I'm not sure what kind of numbers people are expecting out of Harvin. I don't see him touching the ball more than 10-12 times a game tops. He's not taking carries away from Peterson and Taylor, and no one in MIN is going to put up great recieving numbers.

I'm not sure what kind of numbers people are expecting out of Harvin. I don't see him touching the ball more than 10-12 times a game tops. He's not taking carries away from Peterson and Taylor, and no one in MIN is going to put up great recieving numbers.
10-12 touches could mean 4 carries and 6-8 catches right? All the top WR's get about 6-8 catches a week and people fall in love with guys like Andre, Fitz etc. Harvin will get those catches plus the carries and he can take it to the house like Hester on a punt! I'll take those touches for Percy and feel good about him as my WR3.

IMO 10 touches per game should equate to at least 1000 yards and 8 TDs... with a lot of upside on those numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread