What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Replacements Are Reuniting (1 Viewer)

04-13 San Francisco, CA - Masonic

04-16 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
I'm disappointed by the SF venue. The Masonic is a beautiful building but it's one of the least rock 'n roll places in the area.

This might warrant a road trip

I'm disappointed by the SF venue. The Masonic is a beautiful building but it's one of the least rock 'n roll places in the area.

Same with Milwaukee. Lots of great venues here, but they booked at a ####hole. I'm looking more at the Chicago dates at the Riv.

Same with Milwaukee. Lots of great venues here, but they booked at a ####hole. I'm looking more at the Chicago dates at the Riv.
Is the Eagles Ballroom the same thing as the Rave?

Was looking to see if DC ticket info has been announced yet (it hasn't) but in clicking on the May 9 show in Philly, it's cross-listed with Superchunk. So I clicked that link and it looks like they're on the same bill - though I haven't read that anywhere or heard it announced.

Living in Baltimore, I'm usually DC-centric for shows, but I would definitely make the trip to Philly for that

Was looking to see if DC ticket info has been announced yet (it hasn't) but in clicking on the May 9 show in Philly, it's cross-listed with Superchunk. So I clicked that link and it looks like they're on the same bill - though I haven't read that anywhere or heard it announced.

Living in Baltimore, I'm usually DC-centric for shows, but I would definitely make the trip to Philly for that
The DC show info is out. My stupid friends don't want to go. Old jackasses!

04-29 and 04-30 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
:blackdot:

any word on when tickets will go on sale?
Feb 20 for normal folk, perhaps earlier for insiders.
was supposed to be 10am

I went online and tried to order tickets right at 10am, but kept getting an error. now it just says 'tickets not available'

:clyde:
The system doesn't work great, but I somehow managed to get tickets.

:hifive:

The DC show info is out. My stupid friends don't want to go. Old jackasses!
The venue has something to do with it for some.

What's the problem with Echostage? Heard nothing but bad comments.

I knew I was screwed when they were letting people buy 8 tickets at a pop through the pre-sale.

Never been to The Rave, but I can't imagine it being worse than the Riv. Horrible venue IMO.

04-29 and 04-30 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
:blackdot:

any word on when tickets will go on sale?
Feb 20 for normal folk, perhaps earlier for insiders.
was supposed to be 10am

I went online and tried to order tickets right at 10am, but kept getting an error. now it just says 'tickets not available'

:clyde:
There was a pre-sale yesterday, at least for the Milwaukee show. Not exactly "insiders" though - all my friends had the presale password and everyone who wanted tickets got them.

Never been to The Rave, but I can't imagine it being worse than the Riv. Horrible venue IMO.
what don't you like about it?
Don't really like going uptown for one. But even for being a typical musty, neglected old theater, it just isn't a very good concert hall IMO. They layout is goofy with the huge bar taking up the back of the joint. Sold out shows are also almost always oversold. I've been there for Dylan once and another time for the Black Crowes, both times I got in a bit late and got stuck in the back by the bar. Couldn't see a thing. For the Crowes show, we just left after a couple of songs. It was ridiculous. Dunno, as much as I also hate the Aragon, I think I'd rather go there. I also just really prefer shows at Lincoln Hall, Schubas, The Empty Bottle, Park West, The Vic. The Riv is kind of the only place for 2,500 shows I guess, but I've had some bad experiences there.

Don't really like going uptown for one. But even for being a typical musty, neglected old theater, it just isn't a very good concert hall IMO. They layout is goofy with the huge bar taking up the back of the joint. Sold out shows are also almost always oversold. I've been there for Dylan once and another time for the Black Crowes, both times I got in a bit late and got stuck in the back by the bar. Couldn't see a thing. For the Crowes show, we just left after a couple of songs. It was ridiculous. Dunno, as much as I also hate the Aragon, I think I'd rather go there. I also just really prefer shows at Lincoln Hall, Schubas, The Empty Bottle, Park West, The Vic. The Riv is kind of the only place for 2,500 shows I guess, but I've had some bad experiences there.
I lived across the street for a long time so I love me some Uptown. Saw many shows there and at the Aragon. Not sure any were bad experiences. Seems like a pretty standard concert theater to me. :shrug:

some of those other venues are really small. Aragon is big but really spread out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
ericttspikes said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
ericttspikes said:
I lived across the street for a long time so I love me some Uptown. Saw many shows there and at the Aragon. Not sure any were bad experiences. Seems like a pretty standard concert theater to me. :shrug:

some of those other venues are really small. Aragon is big but really spread out.
I used to live by Wrigley when I was younger and would take the Red Line up there. Moved to the Western burbs; tough to get to now. I just think one night at the brawlroom would be a better venue for the Replacements; more spread out and better sight lines. Still will be a cool show I'm sure.

The_Man said:
What's the problem with Echostage? Heard nothing but bad comments.

I knew I was screwed when they were letting people buy 8 tickets at a pop through the pre-sale.
I'm thinking it's starts with it's location in nowheresville NE, with a long, potentially dicey walk from the nearest Metro station. On top of that, and this is speculation, these spaces that start EDM-oriented tend to have horrible acoustics. You can have the best sound system in the world, but if the room sucks, it sounds like crap. But for the REplacements demo, I'm guessing anybody reluctant is because of the location. Boozers want convenient subway access.

So is there an album I should start with?

Set of songs?

Will take all suggestions.

TIA
Please To Meet Me is the album Can't Hardly Wait is from and it's a good starting point.

After that, delve into Let It Be and Tim.
wow

rules
:yes:

I'd put Westerberg's song writing skills up against anyone's.

If you go back and listen to the album Sorry Mom, I Forgot To Take Out The Trash, you can sense it's there, but as a band, they're still snot nosed little punks. By the time they got to Let It Be, songs like Unsatisfied, Answering Machine and I Will Dare, his talent really starts to shine through.

By Pleased To Meet Me, his song writing is perfected. IMO there's not a bad song on that album.

So is there an album I should start with?

Set of songs?

Will take all suggestions.

TIA
Please To Meet Me is the album Can't Hardly Wait is from and it's a good starting point.

After that, delve into Let It Be and Tim.
wowrules
Welcome to the Replacements fold. These are two of my favorite albums. Let them wash over you. I envy you just hearing them for the first time... I remember those moments in my own life and would love to relive them.

I love Can't Hardly Wait but Westerberg isn't real crazy about the recorded version. The horns are about the least Replacements thing ever. The live version is also excellent but sounds much more like a typical 'Mats song

Funny enough - I was late to the party on Spoon as well, but love them.

However, the song that got me hooked was You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb

Talk about a comparison to Can't Hardly Wait. Then once you get into both catalogs you realize no other songs really sound like that.

I guess I'm a sucker for horn sections :shrug:

I love Can't Hardly Wait but Westerberg isn't real crazy about the recorded version. The horns are about the least Replacements thing ever. The live version is also excellent but sounds much more like a typical 'Mats song
It is an odd nugget in the Replacements catalog, but I don't find a problem with it.

Originally written during the Tim sessions. Here's a demo of it. No horns and plenty of lyrical changes done before the PTMM released version.

Funny enough - I was late to the party on Spoon as well, but love them.

However, the song that got me hooked was

As others have mentioned, Can't Hardly Wait came late in the game for the band. By the Pleased To Meet Me album, guitarist Bob Stinson was gone, and Westerberg brought the rest of the group to Memphis to record PTMM. So the sound is a little less punk than the earlier Replacements stuff: Westerberg's songwriting is more mature, no Bob Stinson on guitar made the sound a bit more straightforward, no way the Memphis Horns show up on Can't Hardly Wait if they record the album in Minneapolis.Front to back it's probably my favorite Mats album, but it is a bit of a departure from the rest of the catalog. Let It Be is one rock critics like the most, and Tim IMO captures the Mats at their Mats-est, but tracks off PTMM are the ones I've listened to most over time.

Just got through "Let It Be" on the Bose in my car (took a drive just to get through the album).

Very good. Funny how only knowing "Can't Hardly Wait", I thought they were a fun pop rock band more than anything else. All the other stuff is great though. I'm not a big "punk" fan other than the Clash and the Stooges but the songs that sound more like early Alt Rock are awesome.

Will keep delving deeper.

Starting "Tim" now, along with a glass of gin.

Opening track is already fun.

The songs I liked most on Let It Be were Androgynous, Unsatisfied and Sixteen Blue

Is it weird that they remind me a LITTLE bit of Buffalo Tom?

I'm not saying they even sound exactly alike...but when trying to compare The Replacements, I was thinking they are most like Buffalo Tom as far as stuff I know well.

ETA: I guess I should say, it it weird that Buffalo Tom reminds me a LITTLE bit of the Replacements...

Just got through "Let It Be" on the Bose in my car (took a drive just to get through the album).

Very good. Funny how only knowing "Can't Hardly Wait", I thought they were a fun pop rock band more than anything else. All the other stuff is great though. I'm not a big "punk" fan other than the Clash and the Stooges but the songs that sound more like early Alt Rock are awesome.

Will keep delving deeper.
The Replacements are a bridge from punk to alt-rock. Let It Be is when Westerberg committed to songs with some structure and lyrics with some statement about the human experience. It's still a fascinating listen all the way through, with punk stuff like "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out" and "Gary's Got A Boner" with early alt-rock stuff like the tracks you mentioned and "I Will Dare".

Peter Buck was an influence on Let It Be. He gave Westerberg feedback on a lot of songs that made the album before they were fully written, and plays guitar on "I Will Dare".

The Crash Test Dummies recorded an interesting cover of "Androgynous" on one of their first albums. It's a bit more polished than the Mats version, and of course the vocals are like four octaves lower.

Is it weird that they remind me a LITTLE bit of Buffalo Tom?

I'm not saying they even sound exactly alike...but when trying to compare The Replacements, I was thinking they are most like Buffalo Tom as far as stuff I know well.

ETA: I guess I should say, it it weird that Buffalo Tom reminds me a LITTLE bit of the Replacements...
Think Bill was heavily influenced by the 80's Minneapolis scene. He's a big Husker Du fan too.

About two-thirds of the way through the new semi-authorized Replacements' bio, Trouble Boys.

It is great. Authoritatively researched, but doesn't get bogged down in the minutiae, but keeps the story moving. So heartbreaking, too. Stuff about what it was like for Tommy to see Bob at family stuff after kicking him out of the band. In the book, I'm to the recording of "Don't Tell A Soul," and I'm learning so much stuff, despite having been a major fanboy for more than 30 years now.

If you're not into the Replacements, there wouldn't be much reason to read this book. But if you are, I can't recommend it more highly.

About two-thirds of the way through the new semi-authorized Replacements' bio, Trouble Boys.

It is great. Authoritatively researched, but doesn't get bogged down in the minutiae, but keeps the story moving. So heartbreaking, too. Stuff about what it was like for Tommy to see Bob at family stuff after kicking him out of the band. In the book, I'm to the recording of "Don't Tell A Soul," and I'm learning so much stuff, despite having been a major fanboy for more than 30 years now.

If you're not into the Replacements, there wouldn't be much reason to read this book. But if you are, I can't recommend it more highly.
I not much of a reader, maybe 2-3 books a year, but I can't remember the last time I flew through the pages of a book like I did with this. If everything I read could grab my interest like this did, I probably would find myself reading much more.

Still, there were moments I had to step away because I was finding myself hating just about everyone involved. Especially the band members themselves. While they all had their reasons for it, they were all really monumental jagoffs in their own way. Well, not Pappy the Clown. Hard to hate on Pappy.

I not much of a reader, maybe 2-3 books a year, but I can't remember the last time I flew through the pages of a book like I did with this. If everything I read could grab my interest like this did, I probably would find myself reading much more.

Still, there were moments I had to step away because I was finding myself hating just about everyone involved. Especially the band members themselves. While they all had their reasons for it, they were all really monumental jagoffs in their own way. Well, not Pappy the Clown. Hard to hate on Pappy.
The amount of dysfunction really is astonishing. The one person I find myself sympathizing with is Tommy. Some of those pictures when he's like 13 years old are heartbreaking. I can't imagine an unhealthier situation or two worse role models than Bob and Paul. It's amazing he isn't more screwed up than he is.

Users who are viewing this thread