What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Strain -- New Show on FX Sunday nights (2 Viewers)

IvanKaramazov said:
I'm kind of liking this one now. Episodes 2 and 3 were quite a bit better than the pilot IMO.
:goodposting: I like it. If they'd get rid of the sappy feel sorry divorce part it would be a really good show.

I think I missed the 2nd episode, but why, again, did they let the people that were exposed to a lethal contagion leave quarantine before they had any clue what it was?

And what was the reasoning for the wife of the T-bone eater really not wanting her husband to go to the hospital when he was showing symptoms of being sick after, you know, being on a plane with the contagion that killed hundreds in a matter of minutes? Best I could tell, she really didn't want him to miss folding laundry or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Ummmm....wtf just happened in that bathroom....instant sex change?????
Yep. When I heard the plop, I new exactly what happened. We didn't really need to see the Ken doll.
Yeah I knew what it was too. Really could have skipped the whole Ken Doll thing. But the episode was named Gone Smooth. Interesting that they havent shown anything of the 4th survivor, the Lawyer that called the Secretary of HHS.
Honestly, I don't know if they will explain it, but why keep the 4 alive? The others appear to be the same thing since the pilot appeared to be the same as the little girl. I guess I can see that maybe they wanted the four alive to assist with the Secretary of HHS, stop the CDC from holding them (lawyer), etc. and also alive to make sure that someone made it. It is possible that they might have decided to cremate the other bodies in a panic about a virus, but they don't seem to be different.

Also, the pilot and the other people who cam back seem to be mindless vampires compared to the old guy vamp running the show. I'm interested to know if there is anything actually different about them.
I can answer this:

Its not intentional. Some surive a feeding, most don't. Some are so wrecked that they don't ever re-animate.

I think I missed the 2nd episode, but why, again, did they let the people that were exposed to a lethal contagion leave quarantine before they had any clue what it was?

And what was the reasoning for the wife of the T-bone eater really not wanting her husband to go to the hospital when he was showing symptoms of being sick after, you know, being on a plane with the contagion that killed hundreds in a matter of minutes? Best I could tell, she really didn't want him to miss folding laundry or something.
Pretty much that. Obviously the show didn't explain it as well as the book, but she's like a borderline shut in.

Pretty much that. Obviously the show didn't explain it as well as the book, but she's like a borderline shut in.
That makes me feel a little better.

3rd episode was definitely better than the pilot.

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Yep. When I heard the plop, I new exactly what happened. We didn't really need to see the Ken doll.
Yeah I knew what it was too. Really could have skipped the whole Ken Doll thing. But the episode was named Gone Smooth. Interesting that they havent shown anything of the 4th survivor, the Lawyer that called the Secretary of HHS.
They showed her at the club with the metal dude. Her eyes were going red and blood came out of her mouth.

The FAA insisted is was carbon monoxide poisoning and forced the CDC to let them go.

The FAA insisted is was carbon monoxide poisoning and forced the CDC to let them go.
Ah. No shame in that, I guess. There are very few dramas that can find a way to move the plot without having people do incredibly dumb things.

Ah. No shame in that, I guess. There are very few dramas that can find a way to move the plot without having people do incredibly dumb things.
I think, if I'm following correctly, it was the nefarious group imbedded in government that got the carbon monoxide poisoning decision so the disease could be released into the public.

She mentioned 9/11 in their dialogue. Do you think she was traumatized by the attackes of September 11th? Maybe she was at ground zero and now suffers severe psychological trauma that has caused her to be a recluse?

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
They showed her at the club with the metal dude. Her eyes were going red and blood came out of her mouth.
Yeah but we havent seen her since.

I think, if I'm following correctly, it was the nefarious group imbedded in government that got the carbon monoxide poisoning decision so the disease could be released into the public.
Right, the vampires cant carry out all of their plans without the aid of some humans. At least initially.

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
She's a lawyer. Her family and colleagues probably don't notice any behavioral changes associated with vampirism.

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
She's a lawyer. Her family and colleagues probably don't notice any behavioral changes associated with vampirism.
or loss of genitalia.

not loving rudy in this show. not loving eph. not loving sappy kid angle.
eph?

Like I said, I fast-forward through all the main guy's family and outside life scenes. Seems like filler.
Jesus dude.
Didn't you quit the show?
I'm kinda tempted to finish the last half of the last episode now. :shrug:
I'm sticking with it in the face of all logic... you should too.

not loving rudy in this show. not loving eph. not loving sappy kid angle.
eph?

Like I said, I fast-forward through all the main guy's family and outside life scenes. Seems like filler.
Jesus dude.
Didn't you quit the show?
I'm kinda tempted to finish the last half of the last episode now. :shrug:
I'm sticking with it in the face of all logic... you should too.
I agree. Things should move quick now...hopefully.

I've only watched the first episode and was pretty meh about it. Don't wanna read anything in the thread, but wanna ask...should I keep going? What's the general consensus?

I've only watched the first episode and was pretty meh about it. Don't wanna read anything in the thread, but wanna ask...should I keep going? What's the general consensus?
i like it...its a different twist on a vampire plague and with some interesting side plots built in that will tie everything together. I like some gore factor and this has it. I wanna see where it goes.

Definitely. Not much on in the summer and if you don't like it after the 2nd and 3rd, then I would stop. It has gotten better IMHO.

I've only watched the first episode and was pretty meh about it. Don't wanna read anything in the thread, but wanna ask...should I keep

going? What's the general consensus?
Breaking bad it is not. But for some mindless fun you could do worse.

Anyone else laugh when they realized episode 1 involved a hatch? I was expecting some numbers to be engraved on it.

Come to think it, some supernatural entity that throws heavy objects around and flies thru the air seems like a vaguely familiar narrative.

I'm kind of liking this one now. Episodes 2 and 3 were quite a bit better than the pilot IMO.
:goodposting: I like it. If they'd get rid of the sappy feel sorry divorce part it would be a really good show.
I think its actually integral to the entire plot.

The old man fought these creatures in the past. He lost his wife when they killed her in front of him. He now lives out his days as some sort of protector or wise man. The CDC guy's life will play out in a similar way. His ex-wife will probably get almost killed in front of him by the creatures. But there will be some sort of choice. The old guy chose wrong when he was in that situation and the CDC guy chooses differently, saves her, and they kill the creatures and remarry.

Looks like most people have checked out of this already. Im about to.

I dont mind a slow build-up but these characters are incredibly stupid and uninteresting. Except the old guy.

I'm still into it. Thought last episode was really good. Loved when the woman fed the dooshy neighbor to her husband in the shed.

So what's up with the Spanish guy's lazy brother. He's clearly sick. Something to do with the clock? The old man didn't seem interested in the clock.

My concern is that this story is a trilogy, and as I understand it this first season only covers the first book. del Toro needs at least two more seasons green-lighted for him to complete his story, and he's suggested that he may need 2 or 3 tv seasons to cover the third book.

So what's up with the Spanish guy's lazy brother. He's clearly sick. Something to do with the clock? The old man didn't seem interested in the clock.
Isn't it with drawl from heroin or some other drug addiction?
I took it as a withdrawal.
ah, ok...makes more sense.

So the old man went to see the vampire last time. What happened? I thought he was behind bringing the coffin here so he could get healthy (live forever?) but he seems to be deteriorating.

So the old man went to see the vampire last time. What happened? I thought he was behind bringing the coffin here so he could get healthy (live forever?) but he seems to be deteriorating.
im guessing they just used him to get where they are now...from what i understand they cant travel over water without human help?

im guessing they just used him to get where they are now...from what i understand they cant travel over water without human help?
That makes sense since they kept mentioning getting the coffin over the bridge. Maybe they just guaranteed him internal organs as he needs them.

Users who are viewing this thread