What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

They're both drowning, you can save only one... (1 Viewer)

If they were both drowning & you could save only one would you save your dog or a stranger (huma

• I'd save my dog

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • I'd save the stranger

Votes: 79 53.7%

• Total voters
Haven't read a post on this post, but HOW IN THE HOLY HELL can anyone pick a dog over a HUMAN?
You need to read the thread. It's been covered ad nauseum.
I imagine it has over the past 36 pages, but just won't ever understand someone's reasoning as to why the dog over a human.PS: I am a dog lover myself.
In a nutshell the dog is family and humans suck.
A fairy taleCop: NCCommish I have some good news and some bad news.NCCommish: Give me the good news first.Cop: A stranger managed to save his drowning dog and it's going to be just fine.NCCommish: and the bad news?Cop: Well, as for your daughter....... she drowned. He said he could only save one and he chose his dog, but he knows that you'd understand.NCCommish: I do understand completely, it really would suck to lose a good dog because in a nutshell the dog is family and humans suck. Please tell the stranger that my family and I are so thankful that his dog is OK.and all but NCCommish's daughter lived happily ever after.

Haven't read a post on this post, but HOW IN THE HOLY HELL can anyone pick a dog over a HUMAN?
I imagine it has over the past 36 pages, but just won't ever understand someone's reasoning as to why the dog over a human.PS: I am a dog lover myself.
A fairy taleCop: NCCommish I have some good news and some bad news.NCCommish: Give me the good news first.Cop: A stranger managed to save his drowning dog and it's going to be just fine.NCCommish: and the bad news?Cop: Well, as for your daughter....... she drowned. He said he could only save one and he chose his dog, but he knows that you'd understand.NCCommish: I do understand completely, it really would suck to lose a good dog because in a nutshell the dog is family and humans suck. Please tell the stranger that my family and I are so thankful that his dog is OK.and all but NCCommish's daughter lived happily ever after.
I'd even save a worthless cat over you.

Maybe I should have been watching my daughter. Maybe I should have taught her to swim and to avoid situations where she could drown. Or maybe I should blame the guy that owed her nothing.

In all seriousness, people may say they would save their dog, but if it came down to your dog drowning and a child drowning I think that everybody would make the right decision.

In all seriousness, people may say they would save their dog, but if it came down to your dog drowning and a child drowning I think that everybody would make the right decision.
As I said in this thread, or a spin off, a child is a different thing. I would be lying to say that I could let a child drown. But it would break my heart.

Looks like we know these guys choice:

LINK

(12-21) 11:23 PST Mcarthur, Calif. (AP) --

Authorities say two brothers drowned after falling into icy waters while attempting to rescue a dog that fell into a Northern California lake.

The coroner's office identified the men Monday as 38-year-old Noel Smith of Burney and 32-year-old Nathan Smith of Citrus Heights.

Authorities say the men ended up in the water Saturday evening after their dog fell through the ice at Big Lake in Shasta County. One of the men was submerged for about 20 minutes and the other for about 50 minutes. Rescuers pulled them out but were unable to revive them.

A third man in their group also went into the water, but managed to swim back to shore. He's being treated for severe hypothermia.

The dog survived.

Looks like we know these guys choice:

LINK

(12-21) 11:23 PST Mcarthur, Calif. (AP) --

Authorities say two brothers drowned after falling into icy waters while attempting to rescue a dog that fell into a Northern California lake.

The coroner's office identified the men Monday as 38-year-old Noel Smith of Burney and 32-year-old Nathan Smith of Citrus Heights.

Authorities say the men ended up in the water Saturday evening after their dog fell through the ice at Big Lake in Shasta County. One of the men was submerged for about 20 minutes and the other for about 50 minutes. Rescuers pulled them out but were unable to revive them.

A third man in their group also went into the water, but managed to swim back to shore. He's being treated for severe hypothermia.

The dog survived.
Oof.There are possibly kids involved here who lost their fathers for....a dog.

After delivering pizzas for the last 5+ years and having endless encounters with strangers, my dog would be comming home with me. A large % of Americans are truly ***holes. If it was a child, my story would change.

5 years later and I'm still LMAO at the people saying they'd save the dog.

They have remedial classes for this kind of moral dysfunction, folks. Just go to church. ANY church, folks. Heck, even a solid 19th century humanist will get you where you need to be. Don't wallow in the moral void for your whole life. You can get the help you need.

5 years later and I'm still LMAO at the people saying they'd save the dog.They have remedial classes for this kind of moral dysfunction, folks. Just go to church. ANY church, folks. Heck, even a solid 19th century humanist will get you where you need to be. Don't wallow in the moral void for your whole life. You can get the help you need.
With all due respect, but because you're a stranger, my dogs are literally a trillion times more important to me than you. It would be immoral for me to save you over them.

5 years later and I'm still LMAO at the people saying they'd save the dog.They have remedial classes for this kind of moral dysfunction, folks. Just go to church. ANY church, folks. Heck, even a solid 19th century humanist will get you where you need to be. Don't wallow in the moral void for your whole life. You can get the help you need.
With all due respect, but because you're a stranger, my dogs are literally a trillion times more important to me than you. It would be immoral for me to save you over them.
My point.In your worldview, the morality of this particular action boils down to it's impact on your life, and nothing more.There are distressingly few animal lovers in this thread espousing the "I would probably save my dog, but it would be wrong and my conscience would bother me later" opinion, and distressingly many with the "I'd save my animal and it's the right thing to do, don't judge me!" mentality.

There are distressingly few animal lovers in this thread espousing the "I would probably save my dog, but it would be wrong and my conscience would bother me later" opinion, and distressingly many with the "I'd save my animal and it's the right thing to do, don't judge me!" mentality.
It's been a long time since I read through this thread, but I don't remember the dog voters having a prevailing "don't judge me" attitude.

There are distressingly few animal lovers in this thread espousing the "I would probably save my dog, but it would be wrong and my conscience would bother me later" opinion, and distressingly many with the "I'd save my animal and it's the right thing to do, don't judge me!" mentality.
It's been a long time since I read through this thread, but I don't remember the dog voters having a prevailing "don't judge me" attitude.
I don't disagree with you, but that viewpoint is certainly well represented here. That's what distresses me. I'm sure most people would fall into one of three what I would call morally "mainstream" buckets:1. I'd save the stranger - it's the right thing to do and I'd be at peace with it.2. I'd save the stranger - it's the right thing to do and I'd be all broke up about it but would still need to do the right thing.3. I'd save the dog because my emotions would get the better of me, but I know I should save the stranger and my conscience would bother me afterwards.It's the mentality that "I'd save the dog and that's the right thing to do because otherwise I'd miss my dog; the stranger means nothing to me so why would I save him/her?" - and the implication that their feeeeeeeeelings in the moment dictate the morality (or immorality) of the act - that distresses me. It's not the prevailing opinion here but it's got it's fair share of adherents.

I would just like to compliment satch on writing "you can save only one" rather than the inferior "you can only save one" in the thread title.

This thread is so messed up. We need to start the extinction of dogs ASAP. The world would be exponentially better.

My point.In your worldview, the morality of this particular action boils down to it's impact on your life, and nothing more.There are distressingly few animal lovers in this thread espousing the "I would probably save my dog, but it would be wrong and my conscience would bother me later" opinion, and distressingly many with the "I'd save my animal and it's the right thing to do, don't judge me!" mentality.
MORALITY LOL. Why just because you believe it to be moral must it be moral. The last thing I need is a trip to a church to assist me in my moral outlook. There is a reason that there are very few people who would feel guilty about saving their dogs after the event, WE WOULDN'T. It is just as insane to those of us who would save our dogs that you on the other side wouldn't. Once again I find myself in this thread, typing a response while my dog is sleeping and yes GUS still wins hands down EVERYTIME. In real life I have asked this questions numerous times and guess what THE STRANGER HAS NEVER WON in at least 50 tries.

When choosing between a strange dog and a strange man, an onlooker chose the man. To no avail.

Lake Oswego man, 72, drowns while trying to save his dog from the sea

By Jeff Manning, The Oregonian

February 14, 2010, 8:00PM

A 72-year old Lake Oswego man died Sunday morning after he was swept out into the ocean while trying to rescue his dog off a Lincoln City-area beach.

Oregon State Police troopers from the Newport Area Command office identified the victim as Bill Davis.

Davis was walking on the beach playing fetch with his dog at the D River Wayside at about 9 a.m. His dog reportedly got caught in a wave and was pulled toward the open ocean. Davis went into the water to help, only to get swept away by another wave, witnesses said.

An onlooker attempted to save Davis but was unable to get him back to the beach. Witnesses kept visual track of him while emergency responders were notified.

North Lincoln Fire & Rescue arrived and a rescue swimmer reached Davis, bringing him back to shore where they started CPR. OSP troopers and Lincoln City police arrived during this time. Davis' dog was able to get back to shore and survived.

When choosing between a strange dog and a strange man, an onlooker chose the man. To no avail.

Lake Oswego man, 72, drowns while trying to save his dog from the sea

By Jeff Manning, The Oregonian

February 14, 2010, 8:00PM

A 72-year old Lake Oswego man died Sunday morning after he was swept out into the ocean while trying to rescue his dog off a Lincoln City-area beach.

Oregon State Police troopers from the Newport Area Command office identified the victim as Bill Davis.

Davis was walking on the beach playing fetch with his dog at the D River Wayside at about 9 a.m. His dog reportedly got caught in a wave and was pulled toward the open ocean. Davis went into the water to help, only to get swept away by another wave, witnesses said.

An onlooker attempted to save Davis but was unable to get him back to the beach. Witnesses kept visual track of him while emergency responders were notified.

North Lincoln Fire & Rescue arrived and a rescue swimmer reached Davis, bringing him back to shore where they started CPR. OSP troopers and Lincoln City police arrived during this time. Davis' dog was able to get back to shore and survived.
It wasn't his dog so the moral conundrum outlined in this thread did not exist.

Wow. This is one scary thread. :eek:

We've really lost this much respect for human life? :lmao:

I'm going to assume most of those saying "dog" are just messing with us.

After delivering pizzas for the last 5+ years and having endless encounters with strangers, my dog would be comming home with me. A large % of Americans are truly ***holes. If it was a child, my story would change.
:lmao:
:goodposting: Dog in a heartbeat
Yup..Here is an experiment.. lock a stranger and your dog in your trunk for 3 hours.. when you open the trunk, who is happy to see you?

But, what if the human is Saved? Are you really doing him a disservice by saving the dog?

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am

Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies

But, what if the human is Saved? Are you really doing him a disservice by saving the dog?
Once saved always saved is what I hear.lol

Big difference between "dog" and "my dog". I'd save my dog over any stranger out there.
But still...your dog is just a dog. It's going to die in 5 or 10 years anyway and then you'll get a new one. I'm sure you love it, but the stranger likely has a family, probably children and a spouse. And these are all PEOPLE. Either you guys are fishing or just not thinking this through all the way.

Big difference between "dog" and "my dog". I'd save my dog over any stranger out there.
But still...your dog is just a dog. It's going to die in 5 or 10 years anyway and then you'll get a new one. I'm sure you love it, but the stranger likely has a family, probably children and a spouse. And these are all PEOPLE. Either you guys are fishing or just not thinking this through all the way.
Then again he could be the next Hitler, or the father of the next Hitler.Either way it's best not to risk it.

So what? Your dog is just a dog, is simply not true to many people he is a member of your family. If the question was would you save your mother or two strangers you would have to save the strangers because they are all just people right? What would you do if it was your mother and a stranger? Flip a coin because they are both people and their value to you is meaningless? My dog is more valuable to me than people, a lot of people.I thought of this thread when the earthquake hit Haiti and asked myself if I could trade my dog right now to save all of those people. Good luck digging yourselves out Haitians! I'm taking my dog for a walk.

This thread was so 2007............but I'd still save my dog.

ETA - 2004, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread