What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This graph makes me nauseous (1 Viewer)

if you are against abortion, don't have one. pretty ####### simple.
I typically don't jump in to abortion conversations because people lose their mind and it's funny here especially because we are 99% men. I am disturbed by the numbers though - and I outlined it somewhat earlier. I think abortions can be physically (and especially) mentally harmful to women and we've made it very passé to get one. I'm not saying that women don't take the decision lightly, what I'm saying is I don't think there's as much seriousness given before getting pregnant. I don't think they understand the impact an abortion will have on them.
Guarantee you it beats the impact of screaming, yelling, pooping, vomiting, crying blobs of molecules that soak you for life financially, emotionally, mentally and physically. Trust me, I have 5 of these lifeforms.
I had you beat with 4 until the twins got here. You poor, dumb *******. ;)

I typically don't jump in to abortion conversations because people lose their mind and it's funny here especially because we are 99% men. I am disturbed by the numbers though - and I outlined it somewhat earlier. I think abortions can be physically (and especially) mentally harmful to women and we've made it very passé to get one. I'm not saying that women don't take the decision lightly, what I'm saying is I don't think there's as much seriousness given before getting pregnant. I don't think they understand the impact an abortion will have on them.
Guarantee you it beats the impact of screaming, yelling, pooping, vomiting, crying blobs of molecules that soak you for life financially, emotionally, mentally and physically. Trust me, I have 5 of these lifeforms.
My life is a miserable existence. I don't blame a single person in this world that chooses to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

My life is a miserable existence. I don't blame a single person in this world that chooses to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.
It gets better...and as you already know with your boys, it's very rewarding. But I don't envy anybody the sleepless nights and having to deal with infants/toddlers. F that.

I find it ironic that a lot of pro-life people are Christians who believe that aborted babies go to heaven but on the flip side I'm sure there's a lot of pro-choice people who would believe that all there is to life is our time here. It would almost seem like it should be the opposite.
I'm not really following you. In my estimation, a lot of pro-lifers believe that humans have a soul, for lack of a better word, and that soul is created at conception. And if a soul is what makes us human, then it makes sense that those people would oppose abortion.

If you just view reproduction as a gradual process from sperm/egg to embryo to fetus to baby, then you don't have to draw the line at conception, you can draw it somewhere else in the process that makes more sense to you.

This pie graph depicts the number of abortions performed since Roe v Wade in comparison to the US deaths in all of the major wars in US history.

The only wars you can even make out are the Civil War, WWI & WWII. The total section of all wars combined is maybe 3% of the total.

I don't care if you are pro-life or pro-choice, this is disgusting. I've never actually seen the numbers on abortions, but I would have never guessed it was so high. While abortions have been declining in recent years, there are still at around 750K - 1.2M abortions per year.

I'm honestly not looking to pick a fight, just think these numbers need to be seen by everyone to make an informed decision. The sheer volume is the equivalent of aborting the entire population of San Francisco or Austin each year.
I wonder if any of those potential humans were against abortion? Wish we could ask them.
Why don't you go and ask one of the many kids out there without any parents how they're doing? And then do something about it. Stop crying on a message board about something you can't control. Go out there and make a difference in the lives of the thousands of kids who need love and hope.
I've spent a total of about 30 minutes on here on this topic today. Not sure how much of a difference I could have made in that time, but OK.

And I'm doing everything I can right now. I have to earn enough to provide for my wife and two kids, which takes up the most of my time. I also spend time with my wife and kids, so there are a lot of hours there as well. Then there is upkeep of the house, family obligations and...oh yeah, exercise and sleep that I do so I can continue to do all of this.

After all of that is taken care of, then I volunteer at my church in the parking lot every Sunday morning, rain or shine and donate 10% of my income. On most Wednesday nights I volunteer as a group leader with the addiction recovery program. Some Wednesdays I work in the kids area. My church provides groceries to anyone who asks once a week, no questions asked. There are single mom support groups who provide free ST daycare for moms just getting started and on numerous occasions (10+ in last 5 years) has given a car to struggling young families. I can't directly do most of these types of things, but my time and money goes to support them. I used to volunteer at a local food pantry in the downtown area, but my current job doesn't allow me the time to go and do that anymore.

I'm doing what I can. I'm also taking classes to become a pastor so that I can start doing this kind of stuff for a living and take all of those hours spent sitting at this desk in front of this computer and apply them to helping people.

So rest assured, I'm not just talking about this stuff.

I am totally against abortion and would hope no one would use it as a form of birth control. That being said, of course it should be a woman's choice. How is this even a question?

Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
I'll step back now as there are fundamental differences in morality here that likely cannot be breached through an online discussion.
Agreed. Not letting a women choose what happens to her body is immoral.
If only we could figure out what caused these unwanted pregnancies in the first place....hmmmm...maybe someday science will figure out how to start those darn storks from just showing up.
Yep. If only people were as perfect as you and never made mistakes.
What is your problem? Why are you such a jerk to me in every freaking thread.

Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
I'll step back now as there are fundamental differences in morality here that likely cannot be breached through an online discussion.
If only we could figure out what caused these unwanted pregnancies in the first place....hmmmm...maybe someday science will figure out how to start those darn storks from just showing up.
You gotta admit, your comment about the stork was a bit condescending. Seems you might have brought it on yourself. Although I don't know the history between you two

:lmao: @ Jack Rod starting a thread on a clearly controversial subject and then whining when people are giving him ####.

Is the OP making the case that we fight wars too effectively and we should have more soldiers die?

Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
I'm a jerk to everyone. We just happen to disagree on every single topic.

I am totally against abortion and would hope no one would use it as a form of birth control. That being said, of course it should be a woman's choice. How is this even a question?
You serious, Clark?

I fully understand that people on both sides of this issue aren't going to agree with each other, but to act like there isn't even a question that your side is right is patently rediculous.

You serious, Clark?

I fully understand that people on both sides of this issue aren't going to agree with each other, but to act like there isn't even a question that your side is right is patently rediculous.
I do understand that there are still people who feel it is killing a living human even if it's at 2 weeks. But the fact is, they are never going to take that right away from women, so at this point, the object should be to teach good choices so the amount of abortions go way down. I think some have hit the nail on the head when they say that people are just irresponsible and using abortion as a convenience. That's what has to change.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
AAABatteries said:
I find it ironic that a lot of pro-life people are Christians who believe that aborted babies go to heaven but on the flip side I'm sure there's a lot of pro-choice people who would believe that all there is to life is our time here. It would almost seem like it should be the opposite.
I'm not really following you. In my estimation, a lot of pro-lifers believe that humans have a soul, for lack of a better word, and that soul is created at conception. And if a soul is what makes us human, then it makes sense that those people would oppose abortion.

If you just view reproduction as a gradual process from sperm/egg to embryo to fetus to baby, then you don't have to draw the line at conception, you can draw it somewhere else in the process that makes more sense to you.
I'm not following and I'm sure it's because I'm wrong. I agree that they think that the soul starts at conception but I was under the impression that under a certain age (pre-birth would qualify) that if you die you go to heaven. After conception, if we make the jump that whatever that is is a person (not interested in arguing this point, I don't care) then at that point that "person" either goes to heaven or hell. If they die early they go directly to heaven, if they are born and choose not to believe they go to hell. On the other side, if you agree that it's a person (and again, I realize many do not) then the only existence that person would have is until it dies. By killing it, it has nothing.

Again, maybe I'm missing something but to me, from a logical standpoint if your goal is to get as many "person"s to heaven as possible then abortion would actually accomplish that. What am I missing?

Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
I'm a jerk to everyone. We just happen to disagree on every single topic.
llo

SacramentoBob said:
I agree with bakes. I like to #### and I can not lie.
I love bad #####es, that's my ####### problem. And yeah, I like to ####, I got a ####### problem.

You serious, Clark?

I do understand that there are still people who feel it is killing a living human even if it's at 2 weeks. But the fact is, they are never going to take that right away from women, so at this point, the object should be to teach good choices so the amount of abortions go way down. I think some have hit the nail on the head when they say that people are just irresponsible and using abortion as a convenience. That's what has to change.
I agree with everything you've said here, but this has nothing to do with your original contenion that "of course it should be the woman's choice."

Just about every reasonable person is going to support education to reduce the amount of pregnancies. The religious that want to avoid education and insist on only absitnence education want to stick their head in the sand and have their cake and eat it too. It's not realistic. Preventing the need for an abortion is the best way to go.

I'd also conceed I don't forsee Roe v Wade ever being overturned. That doesn't mean that I have to look at abortions as accetable and not be personally disgusted when I see people treat, what I view as a human life, so casually.

That said, I fully understand people don't hold the same view, and very few minds are going to be changed (zero in a thread like this). But people (not directed at you) using terms like anti-choice and pro-abortion are just willfully refusing to allow constructive conversation to happen.

AAABatteries said:
If you believe that all aborted babies to to heaven and experience eternal life in commune with an all-loving God, but that some percentage of humans who become adults and live a full life go to hell and spend eternity getting tortured by the very manifestation of evil himself, abortion seems to be the only moral decision you could make.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a base assumption in all of these threads that incidence is in some way related to legality, and I'd *really* like to see someone show their work on that assumption.

I would hazard a guess that most people who are against abortion and classify it as murder would also believe that murder should be a capital crime.

Yet they probably wouldn't agree that the staggering number of women who have had an abortion should be rounded up and killed after proof of their murder was found. Why not?

AAABatteries said:
If you believe that all aborted babies to to heaven and experience eternal life in commune with an all-loving God, but that some percentage of humans who become adults and live a full life go to hell and spend eternity getting tortured by the very manifestation of evil himself, abortion seems to be the only moral decision you could make.
That's my point - you summed it up pretty well. I see the other side being somewhat incongruent too except my guess is that most pro-choice folks don't consider the being to be a person and would arguing they aren't missing out on anything.

Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Jayrod said:
:lmao:

AAABatteries said:
Not if you believe it sends the mother's soul to hell.

AAABatteries said:
"Greater love hath no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends"

Also, if you believe that any one particular sin (we can save the esoteric unforgivible sin argument) will send someone straight to hell, you don't seem to understand anything that Jesus said about forgiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
You get sent to hell for making the only moral decision you can?

Sex-selective abortion is partially responsible for the noticeable disparities between the birth rates of male and female children in some countries.

Is this one of those threads where someone that thinks their time at the shooting range is more important than not having actual living fully developed children not getting violently murdered in school tells us how immoral people are for "killing" embryos?

Women who are denied abortions are more likely to become unemployed, to be on public welfare, to be below the poverty line, and to become victims of domestic violence.

Jayrod said:
This pie graph depicts the number of abortions performed since Roe v Wade in comparison to the US deaths in all of the major wars in US history.

The only wars you can even make out are the Civil War, WWI & WWII. The total section of all wars combined is maybe 3% of the total.

I don't care if you are pro-life or pro-choice, this is disgusting. I've never actually seen the numbers on abortions, but I would have never guessed it was so high. While abortions have been declining in recent years, there are still at around 750K - 1.2M abortions per year.

I'm honestly not looking to pick a fight, just think these numbers need to be seen by everyone to make an informed decision. The sheer volume is the equivalent of aborting the entire population of San Francisco or Austin each year.
Interesting. I am very conflicted on this topic. But, if anything, that pie chart makes more more inclined to support abortion rights, rather than less.

Are those people that are pro-life huge proponents of contraception especially free contraception?
They should be. The only way to reduce abortions is to reduce unwanted pregnancies.
There are millions of pro-life people so you will find lots of different views on contraception, capital punishment etc.

I'm staunchly pro-life with exceptions if the mother's life is in danger, for contraception and education, against capital punishment. I feel that abortion is the holocaust of our age but feel powerless to do much about it because Americans (and other peoples) have spoken and they want the choice to abort. The flippant dismissal of anti-abortion views saddens me that we don't value life more and that we mock those that would try to save it. If anything that pie-chart shows the sheer quantity of aborted lives and it is staggering IMO.

Are those people that are pro-life huge proponents of contraception especially free contraception?
They should be. The only way to reduce abortions is to reduce unwanted pregnancies.
There are millions of pro-life people so you will find lots of different views on contraception, capital punishment etc.

I'm staunchly pro-life with exceptions if the mother's life is in danger, for contraception and education, against capital punishment. I feel that abortion is the holocaust of our age but feel powerless to do much about it because Americans (and other peoples) have spoken and they want the choice to abort. The flippant dismissal of anti-abortion views saddens me that we don't value life more and that we mock those that would try to save it. If anything that pie-chart shows the sheer quantity of aborted lives and it is staggering IMO.
So if a woman is impregnated by rape, you feel that it should be illegal for her to abort the pregnancy, correct?

People need to mind their business. Abortion is a personal choice.

The fact that its politicized so much makes me sick to my stomach. Here in Texas the republicans have shut down over half of the abortion clinics, if they succeed with the current bill all but 7 abortion clinics would remain in the entire state. In Mississippi it's even worse.

Yet these same bozos who are so against it don't want to give a cent of assistance to the children that are born.

####### pathetic.

IvanKaramazov said:
Aerial Assault said:
IvanKaramazov said:
plain old convenience-driven abortions.
Oh, good lord. What an absolutely disgusting turn of phrase.
Sorry, but it's entirely accurate. Most abortions are driven by some variant of "Now isn't a good time for me to have a child" i.e. it's inconvenient. If you find that troubling, I do as well and I'm sure the OP does too.
I highly doubt many happily married couples who want children are having abortions because it's an inconvenience.

The question here is why are you against abortion?

If you think that maybe it possibly has some long-term health consequences (cervical scarring or somesuch?) and that it would be wiser to be on the pill instead, then yeah I agree wholeheartedly with you that this should be up to the person in question to make her own health care choices.

But when people say that they're "totally against" abortion, that seems to be a more emphatic position. I'm against abortion because I think that it involves killing a meaningfully-human life, and therefore represents a massive violation of basic human rights. We routinely take these kinds of decisions out of the hands of other people. That's why government exists in the first place.

There are millions of pro-life people so you will find lots of different views on contraception, capital punishment etc.I'm staunchly pro-life with exceptions if the mother's life is in danger, for contraception and education, against capital punishment. I feel that abortion is the holocaust of our age but feel powerless to do much about it because Americans (and other peoples) have spoken and they want the choice to abort. The flippant dismissal of anti-abortion views saddens me that we don't value life more and that we mock those that would try to save it. If anything that pie-chart shows the sheer quantity of aborted lives and it is staggering IMO.
So if a woman is impregnated by rape, you feel that it should be illegal for her to abort the pregnancy, correct?
Yes, unless it jeopardizes her own life. I'm aware of the limb I'm out on, but in my view the child should not pay with his or her life due to the heinous act of another. It's not a position I'd fight with much gusto but I hold it. I wonder whether I'd have the courage myself to carry a baby to term if I was a woman who had been raped. I have no way of knowing, of course, and I'd probably feel like I should have the choice to abort since I had been violated against my will. Obviously it's horrible all the way around, and there is no answer without significant collateral damage. But I'd like to think killing would be the last option.

Users who are viewing this thread