What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (2 Viewers)

12 pts- Richard Petty

Like ice hockey, NASCAR in the 1970s was largely a regional sport. But Petty gets the nod here and is placed much higher than Orr because it's an individual rather than a team sport. Petty is arguably the first NASCAR superstar. Because it was regional I can't place him any higher on this list, much as he might deserve it.
Petty was extremely popular in the 70s, and his popularity was NOT regional. There was even a movie made about him in the 70s.
Look at the names above him on this list- who would you rank him over?
Your justification for his low rank is because NASCAR was a regional sport in the 70s. You even went on to say he might deserve to be higher on the list otherwise. I'm pointing out that he was known worldwide in the 70s. He wasn't just some regional superstar. "The King" is an American Icon and racing legend, and to this day still wears his signature dark glasses and cowboy hat.

70s sports stars:20 pts- Muhammad Ali19 pts- Pele18 pts- Billie Jean King17 pts- Reggie Jackson16 pts- Jack Nicklaus15 pts- Evil Knievel14 pts- Kareem Abdul Jabbar13 pts- Hank Aaron12 pts- Richard Petty11 pts- Pete Rose10 pts- Nolan Ryan9 pts- Terry Bradshaw8 pts- Bobby Orr
Solid work here. Who did these for you?

12 pts- Richard Petty

Like ice hockey, NASCAR in the 1970s was largely a regional sport. But Petty gets the nod here and is placed much higher than Orr because it's an individual rather than a team sport. Petty is arguably the first NASCAR superstar. Because it was regional I can't place him any higher on this list, much as he might deserve it.
Petty was extremely popular in the 70s, and his popularity was NOT regional. There was even a movie made about him in the 70s.
There's nobody I'd move.
Was Knievel really a "sports" star?

I guess the guys on Jackass are sports stars too?

ranking a stuntman and a guy that drove a car above Bobby Orr is sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Brady Marino said:
12 pts- Richard Petty

There's nobody I'd move.
I would say at that time, yea, he was. If people want to compare him to Jackass/etc, that's probably a fair point based on today's assumptions. A guy like Knieval would be a youtube guy today, and little more. But back then, with the limited media outlets, he was huuuuge. He's one of those "I guess you had to be there" guys. I duuno - I think it was an inspired pick. On the other guys, Petty and Orr didn't resonate at all with us (upstate NY)

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
I guess the guys on Jackass are sports stars too?ranking a stuntman and a guy that drove a car above Bobby Orr is sad.
Blame the American public, not me. During the 1970s, Evil Knievel was a much bigger name than Bobby Orr.

OK, athletes born in Africa. Not my speciality, by any means, but I researched it and did the best I could.

8 pts- Zola Budd

Somebody's got to be last and this #### who ran into Mary Decker-Slaney (who is from my hometown) gets the nod. Mary wins that race if not for this #####. #### her.

9 pts- Dikembe Mutombo

A good, but not great basketball player, and at no time was he ever considered among the top performers in his sport.

10 pts- Samuel Eto'o

A great African footballer, but not especially dominant in international play.

11 pts- George Weah

Gets the nod over Eto'o because he was a FIFA player of the year.

12 pts- Steve Nash

My new favorite Laker! If basketball were only played on one side of the court, he would be the greatest point guard of all time. But you also gotta defend.

13 pts- Kip Keino

Starts to get tough right around here. Keino is considered one of the great distance runners of all time. He is eclipsed, however, by a few others on this list.

14 pts- Ernie Els

He's been ranked #1 in his sport. One of the very best, though not quite as legendary as the other golfer on this list.

15 pts- Kevin Pieterson

I know nothing about cricket, but this guy is thought to be only behind Donald Bradman as the greatest ever, and that's enough for me.

16 pts- Haile Gebrselassie

One of the greatest ever distance runners, behind only the two guys ranked above him here.

17 pts- Hicham El Guerrouj

King of the mile. Greatest middle distance runner ever.

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

I have Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, and Russell as the top 4 NBA centers of all time. Hakeem is # 5.

19 pts- Gary Player

Arguably among the top 5 golfers ever to play.

20 pts- Abibe Bikila

The barefoot one adds to his legend here. The quintessential African athlete.

Athletes born in Africa

20 pts- Abibe Bikila

19 pts- Gary Player

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

17 pts- Hicham El Guerrouj

16 pts- Haile Gebrselassie

15 pts- Kevin Pieterson

14 pts- Ernie Els

13 pts- Kip Keino

12 pts- Steve Nash

11 pts- George Weah

10 pts- Samuel Eto'o

9 pts- Dikembe Motumbo

8 pts- Zola Budd

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
I guess the guys on Jackass are sports stars too?

ranking a stuntman and a guy that drove a car above Bobby Orr is sad.
Blame the American public, not me. During the 1970s, Evil Knievel was a much bigger name than Bobby Orr.
but not in sports. He was an entertainer.
He didn't appear on stage or on Entertainment Tonight. He appeared on Wide World of Sports.

OK, athletes born in Africa. Not my speciality, by any means, but I researched it and did the best I could.

8 pts- Zola Budd

Somebody's got to be last and this #### who ran into Mary Decker-Slaney (who is from my hometown) gets the nod. Mary wins that race if not for this #####. #### her.
If Tim holds a sea shell to his ear he can hear Mary Decker's hyphen crying. Zola Budd suffers from being so far ahead of her time.

Who did he compete against? Stunts are not sports even though the show may have been named that way.

If Jackass was on ESPN instead of MTV, that wouldn't make Johnny Knoxville a sports star.

Last edited by a moderator:
18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

I have Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, and Russell as the top 4 NBA centers of all time. Hakeem is # 5.

19 pts- Gary Player

Top 5 golfer >> than top 5 NBA center in "greatest athlete" category?What a bizaar!

Final Rankings (after 30 categories)

477 wbaaoz

450 DougB

450 timschochet

435 BobbyLayne

426 rikishiboy

423 jwb

419 Mister CIA

412 Mrs. Rannous

412 Tremendous Upside

401 DC Thunder

399 Usual21

382 tish156

376 AcerFC

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

19 pts- Gary Player

Top 5 golfer >> than top 5 NBA center in "greatest athlete" category?What a bizaar!
Yes.Because top 5 center <> top 5 NBA player of all time. Player is, IMO, greater in his sport than Hakeem is in his- though it's very close.

Congrats to wbaaoz! You had a magnificent draft, and were ahead throughout. Neither DougB nor myself really had any chance to catch you. Hope you'll be back when I decide to do this again at some point.

Who did he compete against? Stunts are not sports even though the show may have been named that way.If Jackass was on ESPN instead of MTV, that wouldn't make Johnny Knoxville a sports star.
I see your argument. But I wasn't the original judge in this category. At this point I don't feel comfortable making a judgment on this, and so I simply ranked these guys on their stardom.

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

19 pts- Gary Player

Yes.Because top 5 center <> top 5 NBA player of all time. Player is, IMO, greater in his sport than Hakeem is in his- though it's very close.
My bad, I thought we were drafting the greatest athletes in this category.

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

19 pts- Gary Player

My bad, I thought we were drafting the greatest athletes in this category.
We did.

8 pts- Zola Budd

:lmao: :lmao: I guess she fooled someone.
Well, to be fair, she did tell the real story some years after (95?).
She was just being kind after the fact. That South African ##### tripped her up!
:lmao: :lmao:

'Brady Marino said:
12 pts- Richard Petty

There's nobody I'd move.
I would say at that time, yea, he was. If people want to compare him to Jackass/etc, that's probably a fair point based on today's assumptions. A guy like Knieval would be a youtube guy today, and little more. But back then, with the limited media outlets, he was huuuuge. He's one of those "I guess you had to be there" guys. I duuno - I think it was an inspired pick. On the other guys, Petty and Orr didn't resonate at all with us (upstate NY)
It resonated with people in New Jersey. My uncle had an autographed poster of Petty in his basement back in the 70s, and my uncle lived in Jersey. Racing is a sport, and Petty was enormously popular and is still the King of racing. Knieval was a stuntman/daredevil. What he did was not a sport at all.

18 pts- Hakeem Olajuwan

19 pts- Gary Player

Not really. Most experts have him around 8th to 10th; I've never seen him in anyone's top 5. He is almost without question the most overrated golfer of all-time.He accomplished some unique feats: the first (and still the only) non-American to complete the career Grand Slam, first to win the Open Championship in three different decades, and was first non-American to win the US Open in 38 years (1927 to 1965). He is definitely a top ten all-time great, but not even close to being in the same class as the Golden Bear, Tiger, Hagen, Jones and Hogan.

166 wins worldwide sounds impressive (Roberto Di Vincenzo has 230, Sam Snead 165) - but the fact is only 24 came on the PGA Tour. Over 100 of those wins were South African Tour, third world events where he was the only world class golfer in the field, team events, senior events and made for t.v. match play or skins games. He never won on the European Tour except the three majors he won after 1972.

FWIW, I think your ranking was spot on regarding Orr and Knievel with respect to star power in the 1970s. Orr was a tremendous teenage phenom and in my top 3 all-time, scored the Cup winner twice (the 1970 photo is probably the greatest still image in the history of hockey), and still regarded by many as the best D ever. But this wasn't about greatness. The point about athlete vs. entertainer is quite valid with respect to Evel, but his jumps included the highest rated Wide World of Sports telecast ever, and four of the top twenty WWoS episodes. He was globally recognized - filled up Wembley Stadium (90,000), the Astrodome (100,000 plus over two events), and the Snake River Canyon event was the O.J. verdict of 1974 - everyone seemed to stopped what they were doing to watch it. My parents saw him jump the fountains in Vegas on New Year's Eve 1968 (crashed and was in a coma for a month). Something like 165 broken bones in his lifetime. Yeah, yeah, not an athlete - but he was a pretty fun spectacle.

Congrats to everyone for completing this draft!

Definitely surprised (pleasantly) with my finish as I really just enjoyed the overall process.

A lot of judges did a great/thoughtful job in their rankings. Definitely challenging at times!

Will definitely participate again. Had a great time.

-WB

Best Drink:

Criteria:

One thing krista specified early on is that write-ups will be rewarded, that criteria is in play still.

Other criteria:

* Taste - deliciousness

* How hard to make at home

* How likely a bartender can make it right

* Value for money - how drunk do I get for my $$$

I will be employing other drunks/bartenders to evaluate selections.
One thing all people involved in the judging agreed upon is that this list was disappointing from a drink perspective. There are a lot of drinks, very tasty and very well known, omitted, that should have been drafted over some of the swill picked. Notable omissions include, but are not limited to:Gimlet

Screw Driver

Tom Collins

Gin & Tonic

Manhattan

Black or White Russian

Cosmopolitan

Irish Coffee

Kamikaze

Rob Roy

Sidecar

Gin Fizz

Singapore Sling

Daiquiri

Mimosa

Whiskey Sour

The biggest outrage among fellow drunks and spirits connoisseurs was that Gin & Tonic, Gimlet and Irish Coffee was left off, as those while classic are still among the top sellers.

The people helping with judging (and I will be paraphrasing/adding to their comments at times):

myself: 25+ years of drinking, mixing and selling cocktails and visiting bars. Go to drink: Vodka Lime (hybrid of Vodka Gimlet and Caipirinha)

Canadian bar patron: Having visited bars all over the world, including the caribbean, this is our resident Island expert. Go to drink: Straight liquor, or Bloody Mary.

Bartender/Owner: Resident Tequila and Rum expert. Like clean tastes. Less is more. Go to drink: Margarita.

Female bar patron and waitress: LOVES party drinks, exciting drinks that reminds her of summer and fun. Wants to capture the feeling of sunbathing by the pool. Motto: Drunk is fun. Go to drink: Stroh Rum with Pineapple Juice and Orange Juice.

Female waitress, finer restaurant: Wants taste over alcohol content. Prefers to taste all aspects of drink, whether complex or simple. Go to drink: Red Wine, but in spirits, Gin & Tonic.

Together we have 150+ years of drinking experience (give or take)

In the case of a tie, my ranking is the tiebreaker.
There's been some discussions in the group above, and we might do a re-taste some time soon, but not from all the drafted drinks, but rather the top selections and the omissions. Not sure we'll be able to capture it all in written form, but if we do it'll be posted here. If anyone has any additional drinks that should be included, please post.

Users who are viewing this thread