What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

nolan ryan- best athlete of the 70s

during a major league record 27 year baseball career, he played on 4 diff teams including the ny mets and the cali rangers. he was inducted into the baseball hall of fame in 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
23 - Dikembe Mutombo - Athlete born in Africa

24 -

Duet SongProbably leaving higher-scoring duets on the table, but this is a personal favorite, probably because I had a crush on Quatro (Leather Tuscadero) on Happy Days.

'DCThunder said:
Kung Fu Panda-Martial Arts Movie

I don't watch these movies, so give me an animated one with Po the Panda as the protaganist.
I would suggest replacing this, as it doesn't at all meet the purpose of the category.
While I can see your point, I think it was a clever pick.
I agree it was clever, but it goes against the purpose of the category. I'm not saying it would automatically be disqualified, or be put last, but he'll struggle in comparison with the other selections that fit the category much better.
I'm sorry, but this pick stands. I don't watch these movies and I think they are stupid, so any pick other than this would be from something off an Internet list. I have at least seen some of KFP, and it is more in American pop culture than some of these other movies selected. So unless you DQ it, I ain't replacing it.

'DCThunder said:

I don't watch these movies, so give me an animated one with Po the Panda as the protaganist.
I would suggest replacing this, as it doesn't at all meet the purpose of the category.
I agree it was clever, but it goes against the purpose of the category. I'm not saying it would automatically be disqualified, or be put last, but he'll struggle in comparison with the other selections that fit the category much better.
I'm sorry, but this pick stands. I don't watch these movies and I think they are stupid, so any pick other than this would be from something off an Internet list. I have at least seen some of KFP, and it is more in American pop culture than some of these other movies selected. So unless you DQ it, I ain't replacing it.
Did I misunderstand the draft? Is the purpose pop culture or best movie? Just want to make sure before doing any work on judging.

'DCThunder said:

:lmao:

'DCThunder said:

Did I misunderstand the draft? Is the purpose pop culture or best movie? Just want to make sure before doing any work on judging.
The purpose is best movie. This category has nothing to do with American pop culture.

The Road Not Taken- American Poem

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference

It has always struck me that this is not as much a poem about indivdualism as some people (including my high school English teacher) claim. After all, it's not like the narrator is making a choice based upon his own decision- he's making a choice based on the decision of the majority- he's rejecting that decision, but still letting it affect him.

Case in point: I dated a "Goth" girl in college who LOVED this poem. The main reason she was Goth, besides liking the music, was a supposed rebellion against the conformity around her. So as part of that "rebellion" she dyed her hair black, wore dark clothes, dark eyeliner, fingernails, etc. For her this was the "road less traveled", as she referred to the Frost poem (lots of people seem to get the title wrong.) Anyhow, I'd take her to concerts: The Cure, Souixie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, etc. And at each concert, there were HUNDREDS of people there dressed exactly the same way she was. Talk about conformity! I once pointed this out to her. She didn't like it much, and we stopped dating soon after. She dated my roommate and became a Wican.

Distance running legend Paavo Nurmi held the men's 1-mile-run world record for over eight years, from 8/23/1923 to 10/4/1931. Britain's Steve Cram held the mile world record one day shorter than Nurmi throughout the late 80s & early 90s (7/27/1985 - 9/5/1993). American champ Jim Ryun held the record for two months less than Nurmi and Cram, from 6/23/1967 to 5/17/1975.

The current world record holder will have posessed the record for 13 years come July 7th. He has also held the "metric mile" (1500 km) record for nearly 14 years (since 7/14/1998).

24.04: Hicham El Guerrouj, Athlete Born in Africa

The Morrocan champion carried on the tradition of North African middle-distance dominance throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s. El Guerrouj won the coveted middle-distance double at the 2004 Athens games, winning gold in both the 1500 km and 5000 km races -- the first to do so since Nurmi 80 years earlier.

The Emotions- "Best of My Love"- Disco song

Doesn't take much to make me happy. And one way to do it is listening to this gem, which has always been my favorite disco song, even before it's iconic appearance in the opening moments of Boogie Nights. Listen and enjoy.

My categories so far, as we're winding down the draft:

70's Sports Star

1. Reggie Jackson

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

3. Pete Rose

4. Muhammad Ali

5. Billie Jean King

6. Jack Nicklaus

7. Bobby Orr

8. Hank Aaron

9. Nolan Ryan

Athlete born in Africa

1. Abebe Bikila

2. Hakeem Olajuwon

3. Gary Player

4. Steve Nash

5. George Weah

6. Ernie Els

7. Kip Keino

8. Haile Gebrselassie

9. Samuel Eto'o

10. Kevin Pietersen

11. Dikembe Mutumbo

12. Hicham El Guerrouj

I didn't post criteria for these categories in part because I didn't have fully-formed mental lists for either, especially for African athlete. I did have a top few in mind for 70s Sports Stars, but that was based on the tautological and obvious "biggest star" metric, not on any mathematical formula. For the African Athletes category, though, the drafters' selections are informing me more than I could have informed the drafters going into this exercise.

I'm posting now just to let everyone know that as I've started to break down and research everyone's selections, I can definitely say that no one has screwed up. Great and thoughtful selections will, of course, get slotted at the bottom -- that just can't be helped. But even this far in there are no definite no-brainer last-placers. The house has done a great job with these categories.

24.12 - Child Star - Mickey Rooney
As long as you realise that whatever he did after he turned 13 doesn't count. That includes the Andy Hardy stuff and the amazing perfomance as Puck.
Just so you know- Tatum O' Neil was 12 when The Bad News Bears was released. I just checked again to make sure after I read this post.
The judge laid out his criteria right away, so it's understood the guy who is mentioned alongside Shirley Temple at the beginning of any discussion of child stars will get dinged. It's an arbitrary and capricious cutoff, and the absolute right of the judge to do so.I'll take my chances. It would be a traveshamockery for Mickey Rooney to not be drafted.

American Military Defeat

1. Pearl Harbor

2. Battle of Bladensburg

3. St. Claire's Defeat

4. Little Big Horn

5. Battle of Antietam

6. Battle of Bataan

7. First Bull Run

8. Battle of Kasserine Pass

9. The Tet Offensive

American Military Victory

1. Battle of Saratoga

2. Battle of Midway

3. Battle of Yorktown

4. Gettysburg

5. Invasion of Normandy

Choreographer

1. Martha Graham

2. Alvin Ailey

3. Paul Taylor

4. Katherine Dunham

5. Bob Fosse

6. Hanya Holm

7. Jose Limon

8. Agnes de Mille

9. Hermes Pan

Best Choreographer Modern Dance

Bob Fosse is not eligible. But that would be an interesting category for another draft.

Modern Dance was initially a reaction to, a rebellion against, ballet. Today every dancer studies both ballet and modern dance, but at one time they were distinct.

Upon further reflection, I wouldn't care if someone drafted a ballet choreographer. Many Modern Dance folks crossover, and vice versa. But my criteria will make it plain what I'm looking for; the category is intended to highlight innovation and changes in dance since 1923.

1st, I want to thank timschochet for allowing a category that is dear to my heart. 30 years ago, at a Spoletto Festival event, I witnessed a famous NYC company peform, and I was instantly hooked. The category is Modern Dance as a performance art, not dance influenced by Modern Dance that found it's way into a Broadway musical or the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders routine or a pop singer's world tour. There is a pretty clear Tier 1 which can be found with a minimal amount of research. What matters above all else is originality and innovation - did that choreographer bring a new and fresh perspective and interpretation?

Just an aside, Modern Dance Choreographer is for a person and their achievment in Modern Dance over a lifetime - i t is not for a specific piece or even a company. You get the person's entire body of work.

ETA: If somebody was primarily Modern Dance but also did ballet, great fit. If someone was exclusively or known primarily for ballet and did nothing to advance or create innovative Modern Dance, bad fit.

Doug B had an excellent candidate if the category were Choreographer or Ballet Choreographer; this person is the biggest legend in the company we have season tickets for, and arguably the greatest ballet choreographer of the 20th Century. I wouldn't recommend drafting since the person has done no significant works in Modern Dance - yet at the same time, they did bring a more modern style to classical ballet. It seems criminal to not have them in the draft, yet it simply doesn't fit the category. No one has ever associated this great choreographer with Modern Dance.

It's definitely a difficult grey area with some folks. I can think of another person who studied under a Modern Dance giant, but the entire career has been devoted to ballet or incorporating modern dance elements in Broadway musicals. I absolutely love this person's work, but again, it's not a great fit - but it certainly closer than the one Doug B asked about.

I think I may have to pull a timschochet and flip flop on this, or at least be more open about making the category more inclusive. Be forewarned, though, the aforementioned are less than an ideal fit: 1) ballet person who incorporated modern elements into classical ballet, and 2) Broadway choreographer who brought very innovative Modern Dance to the Great White Way. Both will get dinged for being outside the scope of the category, and unfortunately the first person (a HUGE person in the world of ballet) just doesn't fit at all.

Choreographer Modern Dance

Proposed Rule Change for Category

We're halfway through, and folks seem to be struggling with this one. I'd like to propose loosening the restrictions to include ballet and Broadway show dance. This will have little to no effect on the first four picks, all of whom were outstanding selections.

Any objections?

If adopted, I suggest change the category title to Best Dance Choreographer.

Military Victories and defeats

As for the military categories, my only comment is I don't want to exclude or limit ACW battles. Therefore, Confederate victories and defeats are eligible. They were rebels and what they did was treasonous, but they started as Americans, and four years later we (effectivly) pardoned all combatants and welcomed them back into the fold.
Interesting that we have seen relatively few picks for American Military Victory given the long military tradition of the United States. Just an aside, here are a couple picks I rejected via PM: Hiroshima and the Cuban Missile Crisis (in case anyone was considering them). I did have battles between combatants in mind.

No bad picks in any of these three categories, but I do think there are some giants in dance choreography that are still missing - definitely value to be had with the right selection.

23 Willie Wonka and the Chocalate Factory- Movie Musical

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it, anything you want to do it. Want to change the world, theres nothing to it.

23.3 - Battle of the Bulge - American Military Victory

*Essentially Germany's last stand and the biggest and bloodiest single battle American soldiers ever fought -- one in which nearly 80,000 Americans were killed, maimed, or captured. It was a critical battle in crushing any hope for Germany going forward, leaving their military shattered.

*General Eisenhower allowed Black soldiers to fight together with white soldiers for the first time, a major step towards desegregation of the military

*Winston Churchill, addressing the House of Commons following the Battle of the Bulge said, "This is undoubtedly the greatest American battle of the war and will, I believe, be regarded as an ever-famous American victory".

There are two categories I have zero (and I mean zero) clue about. This one and mixed drink. I'll get this out of the way with

24 Twyla Tharp- choreographer

I saw Moving out so at least I didn't go off some list. Cant say I have ever heard of one person chosen in this category. Guess I am lower class

the last dragon- best martial arts movie

sho'nuff
:bow: "Best" is stretching it ... but, man, it this movie quotable:

"Get up! This is Sho's row!"

"Catches bullets? With his teeth? N###a, please!"

"Ain't no masters here. Ain't no slaves, neither!"

I owe three:

Time Out - Dave Brubeck - Best Jazz Album

Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg - Best Hip Hop Album

Battle of Iwo Jima - American Military Victory

On phone, can someone bold?

Was looking over the cover songs and one of the songs I had ranked near the top is still undrafted. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. Of course there's no guarantee the judge will like the pick. I draft it myself, but I've selected All Along the Watchtower.

23 Jazz at Massey Hall Jazz Album

The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever: Jazz at Massey Hall, May 15, 1953

Roy Thomson Hall/Massey Hall Program

By Stewart Hoffman

On May 15, 1953, alto saxophonist Charlie Parker, trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie, pianist Bud Powell, bassist Charlie Mingus and drummer Max Roach stepped onto the stage of Massey Hall and played a concert that would assume mythic proportions. Each of the performers was seminal in the creation of bebop, and would be towering figures of jazz's first century. And this was the one and only time that they ever played together. The event inspired the writing of two books and numerous newspaper and magazine articles. Record jackets, and not a few fans, declared it "The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever".

The concert was the brainchild of the New Jazz Society of Toronto, a group of young enthusiasts - some would say dreamers – led by **** Wattam. When four NJS members drove to New York one cold January night in 1953 to sign on the five seminal figures of bebop, they surely didn't realize what they were getting into.

Of course, the rescheduling of a much anticipated, championship boxing match between Rocky Marciano and Jersey Joe Walcott, broadcast on TV the night of the concert, was beyond their control. While it’s difficult to say just how much ticket sales were affected by the competition, the estimated size of the crowd that night was anywhere from 600 to 1700 in a hall that seats 2,765. As a result, the musicians never were fully paid.

Charlie Parker was a source of further anxiety. He missed his scheduled flight to Toronto from New York's La Guardia airport earlier that day and, while the details are not clear, it appears that it fell upon Dizzy Gillespie to track him down. Though they arrived in town with time to spare, Parker managed to once again go AWOL. When he finally sauntered up to Massey Hall's stage door at 8:30 - exactly the time stipulated in his contract – the members of the NJS must have breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Legend has it that he arrived in town without a sax, and that the peculiar instrument he was playing was the only one he could borrow at the last minute. What's more likely is that the white plastic Grafton sax he performed on that night was the same instrument that he is now known to have had on several earlier concert dates. But it wasn't the only myth associated with that most extraordinary night.

Bud Powell, for example, did not show up drunk, as was claimed by one Charlie Parker biographer. Just three months after being discharged from a New York mental hospital, the troubled pianist needed assistance to walk to the piano. Nevertheless, his performance that night was considered by many to be a highlight of the evening. The proof, of course, is in the recording.

The "CBC All Stars", essentially a pickup band led by trumpeter Graham Topping opened the show that night, performing contemporary big-band music that included arrangements by Woody Herman and Count Basie. Fugue for Reeds and Brass, a challenging composition by Norman Symonds, who also played baritone sax in the band, was also featured. The All Stars would return at the end of the evening to play three tunes before the quintet, minus Powell, joined-in for the finale.

The quintet had no rehearsal, and no one knew what was going to be played until just before walking onto the stage. They played three tunes, Perdido, Salt Peanuts and All the Things You Are, before breaking for intermission, at which time the band, and much of the audience, ran across Shuter Street to the Silver Rail to catch the fight in TV. (The bout was over in about two-and-a-half minutes, with Marciano winning, much to Dizzy's dismay.) Max Roach led off the second half with a solo spot called Drum Conversation, after which Powell and Mingus joined him for a trio set. The quintet followed with performances of Wee, Hot House, and A Night in Tunisia.

Of course, the organizers' excitement must have given way to a grinding anxiety when, at a meeting in the basement of Massey Hall, they had to tell their guests that they couldn't pay the balance of their fees. In Cool Blues: Charlie Parker in Canada, 1953, Mark Miller quotes **** Wattam. "I personally was just mortified," he said. "I just wanted the floor to swallow me up." Ultimately, cheques were issued, but when Gillespie tried to cash his in New York, "It bounced, and bounced, and bounced," he said, "like a rubber ball."

Roach and Mingus recorded the concert on their own Debut Records. The tapes were first released on three, ten-inch albums entitled Jazz at Massey Hall, though Mingus, furious when he discovered that his bass was barely audible on the masters, later overdubbed his parts. (Recordings of the CBC All Stars have never been released commercially.) The recordings have been reissued numerous times over the years, with the quintet set recently benefiting from 20-bit remastering. And as fascinating as the extramusical stories are, nothing is more compelling than listening to the music itself.

Half a century later, the concert remains as remarkable as ever: inventive, occasionally raucous, often electric and always fascinating. Whether any concert can be proclaimed "the greatest jazz concert ever" is questionable. But there's little doubt that in 2053 people will once again be revisiting and celebrating that most extraordinary evening at Massey Hall.

I was a little intimidated when Krista announced that write-ups would be a big part of her rankings for American Poetry. What, ME, do a write-up on poetry? ... I'm dying laughing on the inside. The best I can do is pick one and say, it really speaks to me - and mean it!

Actually, I just stumbled across this poem, so it's not like I've had any time to truly digest it, but it speaks an eternal truth (THE eternal truth), that life is nothing more and nothing less than the sum of the choices we make.

23 Willie Wonka and the Chocalate Factory- Movie Musical

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it, anything you want to do it. Want to change the world, theres nothing to it.
there is no life i know...to compare with pure imaginationliving there, you'll be free...if you truly wish to be

24.11 - Mojito - Best Mixed Drink

Not a huge drinker, but this is definitely one of my personal faves. A terrific drink that is absolutely delicious.

Here's some interesting information about it:

Cuba is the birthplace of the Mojito, although the exact origin of this classic cocktail is the subject of debate. One story traces the Mojito to a similar 19th century drink known as "El Draque", after Francis Drake. Some historians contend that African slaves who worked in the Cuban sugar cane fields during the 19th century were instrumental in the cocktail's origin.

The Mojito was a favorite drink of author Ernest Hemingway. Ernest Hemingway made the bar called La Bodeguita del Medio famous as he became one of its regulars and he wrote "My mojito in La Bodeguita, My daiquiri in El Floridita." This expression in English can still be read on the wall of the bar today, in his handwriting.

23.3 - Battle of the Bulge - American Military Victory

*Essentially Germany's last stand and the biggest and bloodiest single battle American soldiers ever fought -- one in which nearly 80,000 Americans were killed, maimed, or captured. It was a critical battle in crushing any hope for Germany going forward, leaving their military shattered.

*General Eisenhower allowed Black soldiers to fight together with white soldiers for the first time, a major step towards desegregation of the military

*Winston Churchill, addressing the House of Commons following the Battle of the Bulge said, "This is undoubtedly the greatest American battle of the war and will, I believe, be regarded as an ever-famous American victory".
I don't have a solidified ranking for this category yet, but at this stage in the draft, seems like a great value.

Battle of Chosin Reservoir--US Military Defeat

The surprise attack by the Chinese Peoples Volunteer Army against US and UN forces in North Korea, which pushed US forces back from the Yalu River and all the way out of North Korea.

The surprise attack by the Chinese Peoples Volunteer Army against US and UN forces in North Korea, which pushed US forces back from the Yalu River and all the way out of North Korea.
Brutal conditions - as bad as any army has had to endure since Napoleon fell back after Moscow burned. David Halberstam's final work, The Coldest Winter, details the brutality of the ordeal: fierce weather, and a foe that fed wave after wave of troops into frontal assaults with maniacal regularity.ETA: SPAS

Brutal conditions - as bad as any army has had to endure since Napoleon fell back after Moscow burned. David Halberstam's final work, The Coldest Winter, details the brutality of the ordeal: fierce weather, and a foe that fed wave after wave of troops into frontal assaults with maniacal regularity.ETA: SPAS
But the main thing is that the United States was surprised, right? We never figured the Chinese would attack, despite the fact that the entire campaign mirrored almost exactly Hideyoshi's attack on Korea in 1598- the Japanese crossed the Yalu, and the Chinese attacked and drove the Japanese forces back. Truman blamed MacArthur, and MacArthur was partly to blame, but so was the entire State Department in failing to heed Chou En Lai's warnings that China would attack if the American forces dared to cross the Yalu. It was as much a strategic error as it was a tactical one.

Today's picks:

25.10: Pelé, 1970s Sports Star

26.04: The Y2K Bug, Non-tragic News Story of the Last 20 Years

25.09 Michael Caine in Jaws IV: The Revenge - Great Actor/Crappy Movie

Jaws: The Revenge, also known as Jaws 4: The Revenge, is a 1987 horror thriller film directed by Joseph Sargent. It is the third sequel to Steven Spielberg's Jaws.

The film focuses on Ellen Brody (Lorraine Gary), and her convictions that a shark is after her family, especially when a great white follows her to The Bahamas. Jaws: The Revenge was shot on location in New England and in the Caribbean, and completed on the Universal lot. Like the first two films of the series, Martha's Vineyard was the location of the fictional Amity Island for the opening scenes of the film. Although it was preceded by Jaws 3-D, The Revenge ignores the plot elements introduced in that film.

Jaws: The Revenge earned the lowest amount of money in the series, and due to its many plot holes and inconsistencies, is considered one of the worst films ever made, with a rare 0% rating on the review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes (in contrast to the original Jaws film, which maintains a rare 100% rating 36 years after its release).
Caine has been Oscar-nominated six times, winning his first Academy Award for the 1986 film Hannah and Her Sisters, and his second in 1999 for The Cider House Rules, in both cases as a supporting actor.

He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 1992 Queen's Birthday Honours, and in the 2000 New Year Honours he was knighted as Sir Maurice Micklewhite CBE. On 5 January 2011, he was made a Commander of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by France's culture minister, Frédéric Mitterrand.
These things just shouldn't go together. It's just unnatural.

I can name this tune in one note.

25.06 - Behind Closed Doors, Charlie Rich :wolf: - Country Song

"Behind Closed Doors" is a country song written by Kenny O'Dell and first recorded by Charlie Rich for his 1973 album Behind Closed Doors. The single became Rich's first number-one hit on the country charts, spent 20 weeks on this chart, and also became a crossover hit on the pop charts."Behind Closed Doors" earned awards for Song of the Year (for O'Dell) and Single of the Year (for Rich) from both the Country Music Association and the Academy of Country Music, and Rich also received a Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.

Users who are viewing this thread