What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (4 Viewers)

13 Points

8. Aint No Mountain High Enough Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Rankings

The Telegraph (Top 50): Not Ranked

Yahoo (Top 10): Not Ranked

Spinner.com (Top 10): Not Ranked

My Take: Much like Before the Flood suffered in the Live Album rankings based on being the inferior entry between two records drafted featuring Bob Dylan with The Band, this song suffers a little in the rankings due to the drafting of two Gaye and Terrell pairings. Still its a great upbeat love song coming from two performers that shared great musical chemistry. The song has been covered many times, but no version even comes close to the original.

14 Points

7. Walk This Way Run DMC and Steven Tyler with Joe Perry

Rankings

My Take: The grandfather of the Rap/Metal movement which was fairly big in the late 80s/early 90s, this song also introduced rap music to much of white suberbia via their MTV. A cover version of their prior hit, Walk This Way, it also resurrected the career of 70s hard rock icons Aerosmith. That resurrection led to MTV era hits like Crazy, Crying, Amazing and I Dont Want To Miss a Thing, so Im not so sure thats a good thing though. The chorus is fairly spot on to the original version, albeit sung in a more screechy variation by Steven Tyler but the verses were now rapped by the Reverend Run and Darrell McDaniels. The pairing worked real well as somehow the spoken words, hip hop beat, screeching vocals and guitars all blended to create a sound that was new and fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 Points

6. Islands In the Stream – Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers

Rankings

The Telegraph (Top 50): 50

Yahoo (Top 10): 10

My Take: Ironically one of the biggest selling country songs of all time was written by the kings of the disco era, the Bee Gees. The voices of Dolly and Kenny blend very well together, and the harmonies are spot on but the song is sappy dreck. Ok, that was a little harsh, and actually it is a pretty catchy pop tune that paired two giants in the field at the time. It’s also a very popular karoke song – even Michael Scott and Jim Halpert performed it together.

16 Points

5. Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Elton John and Kiki Dee

Rankings

Yahoo (Top 10): Not ranked

Spinner.com (Top 10): Not ranked

My Take: This song probably embodies the spirit of the category better than any of those that were drafted. This song IS a duet. John and Dee seem to be having so much fun calling out and answering each other that it becomes infectious and we actually believe the pair has something going on between them. As stated in my criteria “popularity”, while not an over-riding factor, was to be considered in my judging and this song, at 10, was the highest ranked of those drafted in the Billboard list of all time duets (which is based on records sales and airplay).

17 Points

4. Unforgettable Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole

Rankings

Yahoo (Top 10): 1

My Take: Sure this was likely a straight up money grab by Nats daughter Natalie, but at least it introduced the incredible classic American standard to a whole new generation. Nat Cole had one of the smoothest voices of all time, so you do have to give Natalie some credit for putting her own chops up against daddy and she does hold her own here.

18 Points

3. Under Pressure: David Bowie and Queen

Rankings

The Telegraph (Top 50): 45

Yahoo (Top 10): 6

Spinner.com (Top 10): 8

My Take: The only tarnish on this song, is that the bass-line was lifted for Vanilla Ices Ice Ice Baby which likely helped make that atrocity a much bigger hit than it would have been without it. That bass-line and the two hanging piano chords that come in before the songs vocals begin are darn near perfect in their simplicity. David Bowie and Freddie Mercury were perhaps the two biggest glam divas in the 70s and this 1981 hit brought both back into the spotlight. The two have a great time with it, but you can also sense that both vie for supremacy throughout the recording, David with his cool deadpan delivery and Freddie with his usual over the top theatrics. Their juxtaposition in styles during their harmony parts is gold.

19 Points

2. Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Rankings

The Telegraph (Top 50): 4

Yahoo (Top 10): 2

Spinner.com (Top 10): 2

My Take: This and the other Gaye and Terrell pairing drafted push the envelope on the criteria for a “duet to be pairing that comes together to perform a particular song and not a duo that generally performed together as a ‘group’” since the pair did record three full albums together from 1967-69 with two more “greatest hits” albums by the duo being released as well. With that said I can’t rank this song any lower given its critical acclaim and the greatness of it. Gaye of course is one of the greatest performers of his generation and could arguably be included on the “Mount Rushmore” of singers. If you listen to this song you’d be hard pressed not to imagine that these two ran upstairs to #### like rabbits as soon as they were done recording this song, but from all I’ve read the two were never an item – but the chemistry is certainly there. The sense of yearning between the two separated characters in the song comes through so strongly that the listener can’t help but hope for reconciliation.

20 points

1. Girl From the North Country – Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash

Rankings

The Telegraph (Top 50): 17

My Take: With a pairing like Dylan and Cash, it has to be good. I know there are a ton of people that don’t believe Dylan can sign – and I can’t blame them necessarily even as a huge fan. However on the Nashville Skyline album whether it was due to studio trickery, a decision to concentrate on his vocals or just a good day(s) Dylan actually sounds superb on that record. For those not familiar with the record, you’ve probably at least heard the song “Lay Lady Lay” and may not have even known it was a Dylan song since the scratchy nasal tone just doesn’t dominate like it usually does. On this beautiful song – which is actually a cover of Dylan’s own song from one of his earlier records, Dylans’ sweet longing voice is complimented quite well by Cash’s more booming straight forward delivery. One of the most convincing “lost love” songs of all time imo, even if he borrowed the line "Remember me to one who lives there, she once was a true love of mine".

Rankings (after 4 categories)

65 Mister CIA

65 rikishiboy

65 Tremendous Upside

62 timschochet

60 wbaaoz

58 pts jwb

56 BobbyLayne

54 Usual21

52 DougB

50 Mrs. Rannous

50 tish156

48 DC Thunder

43 AcerFC

Non Tragic Story Rankings----

8 pts --- The Death of Osama Bin Laden

---- Obviously this is a non tragic event in the eyes of much of the world (me included), however it's importance is based on a great tragedy and while this one is deserved all death is tragic on some level. I regret not bringing this up earlier, but to be honest I just didn't have the heart to deny this death.

9 pts --- Wedding of William and Catherine

---- The whole world watched and now it is over. Also I simply cannot view a wedding as a great story.....

10 pts ---- Same Sex Marriage

------ First let me say I am in the camp as saying that gay couples should have the right to marry. My reason for this is why I rank it here. It is simply because I feel this is a political issue that is really not that important to most people. The media would like us to think it is, but it isn't.

11 pts --- Y2K Bug

---- Even while it was being reported many knew it was not gonna be as big adeal as was feared, it was simply another case of the media feeding on some baseless fears.

12 pts --- Election of Obama

----- I am glad this bridge was finally crossed, but I hate that it even matters if our president (or anyone) is black, female , etc.

13 pts --- The 2000 Election

----- I do not like that some states matter more than others (Yes I am from a low electoral state) and this story left us in suspense as to who would lead us.

14 pts --- Clinton Sex Scandal

----- Yes I am putting this above the erections (here in Japan they often confuse their r's and l's)

15 pts --- Aung Sang Suu Kyi

---- A great and courageous woman and I respect what she represents...peaceful resistance. I also feel that too many are using her as a political tool. This one was one of the hardest to rank.

16 pts ---- Demotion of Pluto

----- We all grew up with learning about the 9 planets and (My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas or something similiar) however I love the fact that this is about the scientific community getting together and saying hey...what we call a planet now simply will not work any longer, we have to do this for the future.

17 pts ---- Arab Spring

----- Tim is right when he says we do not know the full effect these events will have, however one cannot deny they are affecting things on a wide scale in the region. The main thing keeping this from rising is the tragic outcomes of some of the protests.

18 pts ---- Miracle on the Hudson

----- This pick is definately what the category is all about. So many times we hear about planes crashing, which is always followed by a death toll. To have a passenger jet crash without any loss of life is pretty much what this category is about.

19 pts ---- Rescue of the Chilean Miners

----Another one that represents the true essence of the category, this one captured the world for a longer period of time and thus I rank it higher.

20 pts --- Nelson Mandela

---- I know I said that I hate that it matters what skin color someone has, however this was a huge thing not just for South Africa but the world as awhole. It showed us that great change is possible even in the most unlikely of places.

-----Some things that could of been picked are The completion of the ISS,mapping of the humane genome, cloning of Dolly, and proof of exo planets

----- I do not like that some states matter more than others (Yes I am from a low electoral state) and this story left us in suspense as to who would lead us.
Wouldn't those small states matter even less if not for the electoral college?

Wouldn't those small states matter even less if not for the electoral college?
With the electoral vote all non winning votes do not matter. I see your point and it is valid when one looks at it logically. However emotionally the impression given is that states like mine are simply a stepping stone or an after thought. The focus is always on New York, California, Florida, Texas, etc. I am not saying a direct popular vote is the answer (heck it probably is not) but some other thing could be.

Doctor Octopus, any duets unpicked that could have gone in the top few? Was weighing "Her Town Too (J.D. Souther & James Taylor), "Whenever I Call You Friend" (Kenny Loggins & Stevie Nicks), "Leather & Lace" (Don Henley & Stevie Nicks), and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (Tom Petty and the apparently busy Stevie Nicks).

Well, what's the purpose of the drafts?

Is it strictly a pop culture and main stream awareness competition or is the purpose to be exposed to something unknown, expanding your horizon and learn about something new?
Can't it be both? :D In this case, because the house wasn't collectively well-versed about martial arts movies, we didn't get exposed to anything new during the drafting process. In a sense, this category might have been a lot like the thrown-out Best Orchestra category -- suffering from too little exposure among the drafters.
These drafts seem to be more about winning for the most part, not about learning, with mulligans, little discussion about picks in fear of them being thrown back, spotlighted, etc etc.
From what I can see -- I may be wrong when talking about others -- mulligans are generally only taken when THE JUDGE him/herself bags on a pick (e.g. I threw Sex & The City back based on the 30-Minute Comedy judge's none-too-subtle admonition). If the peanut gallery are the ones commenting negatively on a pick, that shouldn't lead to a mulligan.Judges have to be very careful about commenting on their own category's picks in-thread (as opposed to within PMs). For example, that's how the whole kerfluffle about the Museum judging in the European draft got started: someone wisely took a "sure 20 pointer" in taking the Louvre, then the judge commented that it might not be the easy 20 points everyone's expecting. Before long, the judge dropped out after some backlash.

Doctor Octopus, any duets unpicked that could have gone in the top few? Was weighing "Her Town Too (J.D. Souther & James Taylor), "Whenever I Call You Friend" (Kenny Loggins & Stevie Nicks), "Leather & Lace" (Don Henley & Stevie Nicks), and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (Tom Petty and the apparently busy Stevie Nicks).
Other than the bolded, that I'm not familair with, all are songs that I like a lot and that represent the category well, but I don't see any of those cracking the upper half of the rankings.

Non Tragic Story Rankings----

8 pts --- The Death of Osama Bin Laden

---- Obviously this is a non tragic event in the eyes of much of the world (me included), however it's importance is based on a great tragedy and while this one is deserved all death is tragic on some level. I regret not bringing this up earlier, but to be honest I just didn't have the heart to deny this death.

9 pts --- Wedding of William and Catherine

---- The whole world watched and now it is over. Also I simply cannot view a wedding as a great story.....

10 pts ---- Same Sex Marriage

------ First let me say I am in the camp as saying that gay couples should have the right to marry. My reason for this is why I rank it here. It is simply because I feel this is a political issue that is really not that important to most people. The media would like us to think it is, but it isn't.

11 pts --- Y2K Bug

---- Even while it was being reported many knew it was not gonna be as big adeal as was feared, it was simply another case of the media feeding on some baseless fears.

12 pts --- Election of Obama

----- I am glad this bridge was finally crossed, but I hate that it even matters if our president (or anyone) is black, female , etc.

14 pts --- Clinton Sex Scandal

----- Yes I am putting this above the erections (here in Japan they often confuse their r's and l's)

15 pts --- Aung Sang Suu Kyi

---- A great and courageous woman and I respect what she represents...peaceful resistance. I also feel that too many are using her as a political tool. This one was one of the hardest to rank.

16 pts ---- Demotion of Pluto

----- We all grew up with learning about the 9 planets and (My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas or something similiar) however I love the fact that this is about the scientific community getting together and saying hey...what we call a planet now simply will not work any longer, we have to do this for the future.

17 pts ---- Arab Spring

----- Tim is right when he says we do not know the full effect these events will have, however one cannot deny they are affecting things on a wide scale in the region. The main thing keeping this from rising is the tragic outcomes of some of the protests.

18 pts ---- Miracle on the Hudson

----- This pick is definately what the category is all about. So many times we hear about planes crashing, which is always followed by a death toll. To have a passenger jet crash without any loss of life is pretty much what this category is about.

19 pts ---- Rescue of the Chilean Miners

----Another one that represents the true essence of the category, this one captured the world for a longer period of time and thus I rank it higher.

20 pts --- Nelson Mandela

---- I know I said that I hate that it matters what skin color someone has, however this was a huge thing not just for South Africa but the world as awhole. It showed us that great change is possible even in the most unlikely of places.

-----Some things that could of been picked are The completion of the ISS,mapping of the humane genome, cloning of Dolly, and proof of exo planets
Nice work!

'Doug B said:
'charvik said:
Why wasn't any of the following picked [for Martial Arts Movie]?
Reason: few of those movies are household names. Your knowledge of the category informs you in a way that few, if any, of the drafters can match.This is one of the difficulties with having a field expert judging a category -- a problem we've wrestled with since Gigantomachia gave Socrates a 1. Reminds me a lot also of when the Louvre wasn't originally going to get the 20 points in European Museum.
Krista didn't actually say that. She said not to assume anything and to try to think outside of the obvious lists.

'Dr. Octopus said:
17 Points

4. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole

Rankings

My Take: Sure this was likely a straight up money grab by Nat’s granddaughter Natalie, but at least it introduced the incredible classic American standard to a whole new generation. Nat Cole had one of the smoothest voices of all time, so you do have to give Natalie some credit for putting her own chops up against grand-daddy – and she does hold her own here.
Natalie Cole is Nat's daughter, not granddaughter.

Rankings (after 5 categories)

81 rikishiboy

80 wbaaoz

79 Mister CIA

74 BobbyLayne

74 timschochet

73 Tremendous Upside

71 pts jwb

71 Usual21

67 DC Thunder

65 Mrs. Rannous

63 DougB

59 tish156

53 AcerFC

70's Sports Star DougB

American Military Defeat BobbyLayne

American Military Victory BobbyLayne

American Poem Krista4

Athlete born in Africa DougB

Celebrity Chef Krista4/Oliver Humanzee

Child Star Mrs. Rannous

Choreographer Modern Dance BobbyLayne

Country Song Professor S

Cover Song High Beams

Disco Song Mrs. Rannous

Disgusting Food Corky

Duet Song Dr. Octopus

FFA Thread higgins

Hip Hop Album Professor S

Jazz Recording Tremendous Upside

Junk Food Keerock

Martial Arts Movie Charvik

Mixed Drink Charvik

MLB Third Baseman higgins

Movie Musical Corky

NBA Point Guard Frostilicus

Non-tragic News story of the last 20 years rikishiboy

Professional Wrestler High Beams

Sandwich jwb

Short Novel Frostilicus

Spin off Television show Keerock

Television Holiday Special jwb

TV Half hour comedy Keerock

Worst Movie For A Great Actor Corky

70's Sports Star DougB

American Poem Krista4

Child Star Mrs. Rannous

Country Song Professor S

Cover Song High Beams

Disco Song Mrs. Rannous

Disgusting Food Corky

Duet Song Dr. Octopus

FFA Thread higgins

Junk Food Keerock

Mixed Drink Charvik

Movie Musical Corky

Sandwich jwb

Short Novel Frostilicus

Tremendous Upside is the short novel judge, fyi.

70's Sports Star DougB

American Poem Krista4

Child Star Mrs. Rannous

Country Song Professor S

Cover Song High Beams

Disco Song Mrs. Rannous

Disgusting Food Corky

Duet Song Dr. Octopus

FFA Thread higgins

Junk Food Keerock

Mixed Drink Charvik

Movie Musical Corky

Sandwich jwb

Short Novel Frostilicus

Tremendous Upside is the short novel judge, fyi.
this is true

I won't get to sandwiches until Tues / Wed (have guests over until then). Will definitely get it done this week, though.

Movie Musicals

A fun, but not so difficult category to judge for me. All of the selections were solid, but there was an easy tiering of these films in my opinion. For me, a movie musical is a film that a) contains song, b) the song advances the plot and is an organic part of the film and c) was previously or subsequently performed live on the stage.

The judging was based upon how well the songs fit these categories, the overall quality of the film, the enduring value of the music, and the broad popularity of the franchise.

Movie musicals that would have scored well than some selected:

The Music Man

Beauty & The Beast

The Lion King

Hairspray

Mary Poppins

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Tier One Movies that are musical.

8 points - Moulin Rouge!

I had extremely low expectations for this movie going in and was pleasantly surprised. It isn't that this isn't good work, it is just that it isn't a 'movie musical' per se. There was talk into making a stage version, but it never materialized. Also, many of the songs are not original for the movie, but re-worked pop hits. The biggest song to come out of the movie was "Lady Marmelade" and I daresay the video for the song with Xtina, Mya, Missy Elliot and Pink has a greater enduring cultural resonance than the movie itself.

9 points - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I know people are going to hate that I place this here. Again, I don't think of this one so much as a movie musical. There was no stage production of which I am aware and the musical numbers are few and far between. "Pure Imagination" and the oft-repeated "Oompa Loompa" song are the only songs that endure the test of time. And of those, only one is really a song.

10 points - This is Spinal Tap!

It pains me to place this one here. This is a mockumentary about a band. Of course there is going to be musical numbers, but they don't drive the plot. It is only because of its pure brilliance that it ranks this high. The songs Stonehenge, Hell Hole, Big Bottom, and others are classic hard rock parodies and the movie is one of the most quotable of all time. I wanted to make this one go to 11, but I could only make 10 louder.

Tier Two - Now You're Getting There

11 points - Yankee Doodle Dandy

A true movie musical, James Cagney takes the lead role in this film. Before my time, though I have seen it, it has the song that I think most American children know, "Yankee Doodle Boy," though if asked where it came from, most would probably claim it just came from the vaults of Americana and wouldn't be able to identify the film.

12 points - An American In Paris

Any time you have Gene Kelly in a movie, it's going to be good. As movie musicals go, I'd rank it third or fourth of Kelly's though - Behind "Singing in the Rain" and "On the Town" to be certain and maybe even "Brigadoon". "I Got Rhythm" and "S Wonderful" are the most memorable songs to emerge from this production.

13 points - Chicago

A more modern adaptation of a stage production and won Best Picture in 2002. A star-studded cast with Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger. Most known for its sexy production of "Cell Block Tango" and "All That Jazz", this Oscar winner is good, but can't compete with those stronger movie musicals above it.

14 points - Fiddler on the Roof

If other movie musicals suffered from not having a stage production, I think this one suffered from being more well known for its stage production. A quality movie adaptation to be sure, but I always think of the stage when I think of Fiddler. The songs from this musical are solid and many continue to resonate. "If I Were A Rich Man" "Sunrise, Sunset" and "Matchmaker" are all familiar and solid musical numbers.

Tier Three - Just missed top tier

15 points - Cabaret

Liza Minelli won a Best Actress Oscar for her role in Cabaret in what was probably her most well known role. A very risque story line for its time, invoking Nazis and bi-sexuals, it pushed some boundaries not previously pushed in mainstream film. A solid movie musical adaptation puts it up here. Significant departures from the stage play keep it from moving any higher. The title song is perhaps the most enduring of the songs in this musical.

16 points - West Side Story

All you have to do is get into a crouched position and start snapping fingers on both hands and you immediately invoke a fight scene between the Jets and the Sharks. This classic retelling of the Romeo and Juliet story made for a strong adaptation on the big screen. Many of the songs remain recognizable and well known, "Maria", "America" and "I Feel Pretty" chief among them. This one fall here only due to the strength of the movie musicals ahead of this one.

Tier Four - The Classics

17 points - Singin' in the Rain

Out of the top four, one of them has to be at the bottom. This one isn't played on television as much as the top three and probably isn't as well known as any of them either. The title song "Singin' in the Rain" is well known, but the other songs not as much. Gene Kelly's famous umbrella dance is part of pop culture, but each of the top three have that same cultural longevity and iconography.

18 points - Grease

Of all the movie musicals selected, this one probably has the highest number of recognizable songs...Grease, Summer Nights, Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee, Beauty School Drop Out, Hopelessly Devoted To You, You're the One That I Want, Hand Jive, and Greased Lightning to name a few. Travolta and Olivia Newton-John brought this classic to us in 1978 and it is still a classic today.

19 points - The Sound of Music

The top two are annual favorites. This one falls to number two based upon how much I personally hate the movie...but there is no denying that it is one of the top movie musicals of all time. Traditionally shown between Christmas and New Years, many families would look forward to this annual airing and schedule their social calendar around it. Several songs endure, including Sixteen, Going on Seventeen, Do-Re-Mi, Edelweiss and My Favorite Things. There are few movie musicals as well known as this one except....

20 points - The Wizard of Oz

To me, the quintessential movie musical. Released in 1939...yes, 1939, it is still relevant today. Both the musical itself and the movie adaptation stand up to the test of time. The story, the characters, the music and the cultural ubiquity of this movie musical earn this the top spot...without really much debate in my book. I could write more about why I think this deserves the top spot, but I don't really think I need to...I think it should be/is that obvious.

17 Points

4. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole

Rankings

My Take: Sure this was likely a straight up money grab by Nat’s granddaughter Natalie, but at least it introduced the incredible classic American standard to a whole new generation. Nat Cole had one of the smoothest voices of all time, so you do have to give Natalie some credit for putting her own chops up against grand-daddy – and she does hold her own here.
Natalie Cole is Nat's daughter, not granddaughter.
Sorry, obviously you are correct. Was not remembering correctly.

Well done on the Musical rankings...I deserved the bottom spot there. In a slight defense I was under the impression things like the Lion King and stuff were not really eligible. I do wish I had thought of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

No one took The Music Man?!?! :shock: Sacre bleu!

Imp committed iSuicide on here, so I think you'll need someone else to judge his categories (though I'd love to see tim do pro wrestlers).

I'll do my categories sometime this week.

Well done on the Musical rankings...I deserved the bottom spot there. In a slight defense I was under the impression things like the Lion King and stuff were not really eligible. I do wish I had thought of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, to me, would have qualified because they were made into stage productions following their success. Other similar animated Disney adventures that didn't make the stage would have scored very poorly. These probably would have finished ahead of the bottom tier, not sure how much higher.The most glaring omissions to me were Mary Poppins, Music Man and Rocky Horror.

I know people are going to hate that I place this here. Again, I don't think of this one so much as a movie musical. There was no stage production of which I am aware and the musical numbers are few and far between. "Pure Imagination" and the oft-repeated "Oompa Loompa" song are the only songs that endure the test of time. And of those, only one is really a song.

It pains me to place this one here. This is a mockumentary about a band. Of course there is going to be musical numbers, but they don't drive the plot. It is only because of its pure brilliance that it ranks this high. The songs Stonehenge, Hell Hole, Big Bottom, and others are classic hard rock parodies and the movie is one of the most quotable of all time. I wanted to make this one go to 11, but I could only make 10 louder.
Willie Wonka is indeed a musical film adaptation of the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Some songs in the movie you didn't mention with lyrics are "The Candy Man", "I've Got a Golden Ticket", "Cheer up Charlie", several different renditions of the Oompa Loompa Song (which is really a song), and the bratty wonderful Vercuca Salt song "I Want it Now." Its soundtrack has 14 songs that go in sequence of the movie. It also received an Academy Award nomination for best original score.I love Spinal Tap, but it isn't a musical. To place it over Willie Wonka is horse hockey!! Boooooooooooooooooo

Here are some other movie musicals that I love, and personally would have ranked high, in no particular order:

Top Hat

Meet Me In St. Louis

On the Town

Guys and Dolls

A Star Is Born (original with Judy Garland)

The King and I

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

My Fair Lady

Oliver!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

All That Jazz

Little Shop of Horrors

Across the Universe

High Beam's categories were cover song and professional wrestler. Any volunteers to judge these?

I am comfortable judging cover song. If I am forced to judge wrestler, I will simply rely on already established internet lists, because my knowledge is limited. So hopefully someone else will take this.

Movie versions of Broadway plays as "musicals" should been ineligible. "The Ziegfield Follies of 1938" or some Busby Berekley film with Esther Williams would have made a whole lot more sense. "Wizard of Oz" or "Singing in the Rain" are the perfect movie musicals.

Willie Wonka is indeed a musical film adaptation of the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Some songs in the movie you didn't mention with lyrics are "The Candy Man", "I've Got a Golden Ticket", "Cheer up Charlie", several different renditions of the Oompa Loompa Song (which is really a song), and the bratty wonderful Vercuca Salt song "I Want it Now." Its soundtrack has 14 songs that go in sequence of the movie. It also received an Academy Award nomination for best original score.I love Spinal Tap, but it isn't a musical. To place it over Willie Wonka is horse hockey!! Boooooooooooooooooo
(for Corky)...It is a musical film adaptation of a book. I still don't qualify it as a movie musical in the sense that Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music are. I get completely that you would put it ahead of Spinal Tap and the argument is valid. But it is what it is.

(for Corky)...It is a musical film adaptation of a book. I still don't qualify it as a movie musical in the sense that Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music are. I get completely that you would put it ahead of Spinal Tap and the argument is valid. But it is what it is.
Acer said we need some bickering so I decided to put in my :2cents: . I certainly wouldn't expect Willie Wonka to have a higher ranking than the Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music, but I do expect it to rank higher than a movie that wasn't even a musical.

Acer said we need some bickering so I decided to put in my :2cents: . I certainly wouldn't expect Willie Wonka to have a higher ranking than the Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music, but I do expect it to rank higher than a movie that wasn't even a musical.
Point well taken.I'd have put it and Spinal Tap ahead of Yankee Doodle Dandy if I thought either were truly movie musicals. Yes, I think Charlie is probably more of a movie musical than Spinal Tap, but neither fit my criteria for fitting in the category completely, so they were bottom tiered. Once there, I went on preferences alone. I have an unhealthy affinity for Spinal Tap! and so it got top billing among the non-movie musical musicals.

Also, for those who would complain of 'bad judging'...I think Wonka and Fiddler have the best arguments for being a spot or two higher...but otherwise, I think this was a pretty easy category to judge.

Users who are viewing this thread