What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timing of Paid Content (1 Viewer)

JAK Straw

Footballguy
Footballguys,

Here we are a few hours from kickoff of the first game of the week, and some content isn't available. I have noticed consistently this year that that is true. In past years the expected publishing date would be noted once the new week's page was opened; I see that practice has been discontinued. While perhaps it can be argued that the publishing date of some strategy pieces isn't essential before the Thursday night game (Bloom's Buy/Sell article is notoriously late each and every week), anything which purports to provide evaluation of the upcoming games is pretty much worthless if not available well before lineups are due.

Case in point in the Game Predictor. In past years this was always out by Wednesday morning, and occasionally on Tuesday. I don't think its been published this year on any day except Thursday. For me personally, its always been a tool that I use to build my view of the week. Releasing it so close to game time renders it valueless. I'm very disappointed, and can't help but conclude that resources have been re-allocated this year towards DFS, and away from traditional fantasy football, which happens to be why I purchase a subscription every year.

I would appreciate a better sense of what we can expect, and when. Thanks.

I think they're way too busy coming up with new FanDuel promotions to worry about any of this stuff.

Footballguys,

Here we are a few hours from kickoff of the first game of the week, and some content isn't available. I have noticed consistently this year that that is true. In past years the expected publishing date would be noted once the new week's page was opened; I see that practice has been discontinued. While perhaps it can be argued that the publishing date of some strategy pieces isn't essential before the Thursday night game (Bloom's Buy/Sell article is notoriously late each and every week), anything which purports to provide evaluation of the upcoming games is pretty much worthless if not available well before lineups are due.

Case in point in the Game Predictor. In past years this was always out by Wednesday morning, and occasionally on Tuesday. I don't think its been published this year on any day except Thursday. For me personally, its always been a tool that I use to build my view of the week. Releasing it so close to game time renders it valueless. I'm very disappointed, and can't help but conclude that resources have been re-allocated this year towards DFS, and away from traditional fantasy football, which happens to be why I purchase a subscription every year.

I agree 100%. The weekly timelines on all but the upgrades/downgrades have shifted. If I need to peruse various forums more to get a pulse on the fantasy trends in a more timely manner, I may rethink my subscription next year. I consider my subscription fee as a trade off for more family/recreational time. That value has diminished recently.

I think they're way too busy coming up with new FanDuel promotions to worry about any of this stuff.
I was sort of thinking the same thing as well. Yesterday, as I looked around the Week 5 page I noticed several areas not updated with content, but on the right was the DFS section, nearly completed with links to all the content for those services.

I'll keep an eye on this throughout the rest of the season, but if this trend continues, I may not renew next year. I'm not here for the DFS content.

Footballguys,

I agree 100%. The weekly timelines on all but the upgrades/downgrades have shifted. If I need to peruse various forums more to get a pulse on the fantasy trends in a more timely manner, I may rethink my subscription next year. I consider my subscription fee as a trade off for more family/recreational time. That value has diminished recently.
Threats like that are weak sauce. As someone who works in an industry that receives them they drive me nuts. FBG's doesn't care that you say that fwiw.....they focus their attention on the majority of clients, not the minority. You can't please everyone. $25 won't even buy you a meal out with your family. :shrug:

If they were to release all their content early in the week they would miss out on things that happen daily.

Footballguys,

Threats like that are weak sauce. As someone who works in an industry that receives them they drive me nuts. FBG's doesn't care that you say that fwiw.....they focus their attention on the majority of clients, not the minority. You can't please everyone. $25 won't even buy you a meal out with your family. :shrug: If they were to release all their content early in the week they would miss out on things that happen daily.
Even when they do release content, they don't update it on the things that happen daily. It is quite apparent that they have lost their focus on what made them a success.

Footballguys,

100% agree.

DFS is for suckers that enjoy throwing their money away. They won't miss the value of timely updates.

Most of us who enjoy more traditional fantasy leagues expect to actually be able to use the information that we paid for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Footballguys,

100% agree.

DFS is for suckers that enjoy throwing their money away. They won't miss the value of timely update.

Most of us who enjoy more traditional fantasy leagues expect to actually be able to use the information that we paid for.
I have won money every week on draftkings. A sucker I am not

Game Predictor was made available 13 minutes after my initial post. I guess that's the only answer I'll get from FBGs.

Footballguys,

I thought it was me! For at least 5 years in a row, a bunch of us have asked for the Buy low/sell high article to be published earlier in the week, but to no avail. Is it really that difficult to rearrange the order of content being released each week? I read Bloom's rankings, but care WAY more about his thoughts on which guys to buy low/sell high.

John Hansen releases his version of buy low/sell high on Tuesday afternoon and made the change some years ago. This came after subscribers complained....

I don't want to be too critical because the FBG staff are great and they have regular lives too, but this is an issue, particular with the Thursday night game rolling around so quickly every week. As a subscriber, I find I only end up looking at a fraction of the content and I like the articles that come out early and have some real analysis - the game recaps, waiver report (upgrades/downgrades), Waldman's Gut Check column - these are the meat of the content. I tend to favor Bloom's stuff too, but that comes out later, particularly the Buy Low/Sell High column, which is frustrating.

On the positive side, the really useful podcasts are timely - the recaps are up right away after the Sunday games, the waiver wire show is in time for waivers, On the Couch is great, and the preview podcasts are always on time.

IDP is a mixed bag. The IDP upgrades/downgrades article always comes out quickly and is an improvement overall on last year, even if it is just focusing on the last round of games. The Reading the Defense and Eyes of the Guru columns are mostly very good, but the IDP Roundtable podcast comes out so late in the week it is useless if you are looking for advice on waiver wire pickups or lineup choices for the Thursday game. I've found that the IDP Roundtable tends to rehash a fair bit of what is in Jene and John's columns as well.

Agree on DFS - there is way too much DFS content compared to everything else. I know that's where the money is right now, but I never look at it and would suspect many others don't either. Obviously there's a market for it, but it feels like saturation.

Agree that of late FBG's has put too much of their resources on DFS. Maybe I'm a FF purist, but I believe in the commitment and grind of full season redraft and dynasty leagues. You shape your roster, you own it. It's not disposable like a soiled diaper. It's not guessing lucky lotto numbers. That to me is all DFS is. Not unlike pathetic retirees mashing slot machine buttons over and over with glazed looks on their eyes. There may be an art to game the DFS system, but I could really care less. I got into the FF as a hobby. I have my teams core players memorized. I like to have "my guys". Sorry if this is an anti-DFS rant. But I hope FD and DK go under investigation soon, and hopefully shut down or neutered. Maybe then FBG's can fully concentrate their energies toward paid content the old school FF'ers can use and in a timely manner.

Toomuchnv said:
ImTheScientist said:
stathawk said:
Footballguys,

Threats like that are weak sauce. As someone who works in an industry that receives them they drive me nuts. FBG's doesn't care that you say that fwiw.....they focus their attention on the majority of clients, not the minority. You can't please everyone. $25 won't even buy you a meal out with your family. :shrug: If they were to release all their content early in the week they would miss out on things that happen daily.
Even when they do release content, they don't update it on the things that happen daily. It is quite apparent that they have lost their focus on what made them a success.
The DFS content isn't allways very timely either so maybe its just the total content they have to put out has become more than they can handle. As a person who subscribed again after a number years not subscribing, I'm not sure I will be doing it again.

Toomuchnv said:
ImTheScientist said:
stathawk said:
Footballguys,

The DFS content isn't allways very timely either so maybe its just the total content they have to put out has become more than they can handle. As a person who subscribed again after a number years not subscribing, I'm not sure I will be doing it again.
They are always late. It's why I stopped subscribing and won't subscribe again. You'll get a staffer coming in at a certain point with excuses but it's the same old same old every year. They often won't get things out by the deadlines they establish, shows a real lack of respect for your customers IMO.

I enjoy reading a participating in this topic each year when it pops up. I too ask myself each year if I should continue to pay for a site that sucks me in with projections during the regular season only to have them not available during the fantasy playoffs. In years past it was the question of why pay for a site that does't support the Mac IOS with draft dominator or lineup dominator. That has since been resolved. I have taken years off and survived just fine using only The Shark Pool as a resource (and to be honest our user community is the greatest resource on the whole site). In the end I default to the fact that it's a relatively cheap product with a relatively high value. I enjoy using Draft Dominator. I enjoy using the weekly top 200 forward projections and the strength of schedule evaluations. Over the last few years there are many other sites that I also use to balance FBG's projections against. I can live with the content migrating toward the DFS industry trend. I have adjusted my expectations downward and still find it a reasonable value for the service.

ImTheScientist said:
stathawk said:
Footballguys,

This sounds like a hugely successful posture in the customer service industry. Well done.

It's not just the timing, it's the content. Two blurbs from this morning's email made me scratch my head.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

It's still the Devonta Freeman show anyway, so Coleman's role would have been minor to begin with. We have Freeman as a top RB1 option this weekend.
The Redskins are the #2 rushing (and #4 overall) defense in the league. With Coleman back in the fold, this should scream GIANT RED FLAG for Week 5.

We're hoping he will play and cautiously optimistic for his production if he does, but we've slotted him as a WR3 because of the injury and a tough Kansas City defense.
KC is the #28 passing (and #28 overall) defense in the league. NOTHING indicates they are "tough".

need2know said:
spider321 said:
Footballguys,

100% agree.

DFS is for suckers that enjoy throwing their money away. They won't miss the value of timely update.

Have you won a shipload of money?

need2know said:
spider321 said:
Footballguys,

100% agree.

Do you happen to be an employee of Fanduel? (just a scandal joke)

ImTheScientist said:
stathawk said:
Footballguys,

Threats like that are weak sauce. As someone who works in an industry that receives them they drive me nuts. FBG's doesn't care that you say that fwiw.....they focus their attention on the majority of clients, not the minority. You can't please everyone. $25 won't even buy you a meal out with your family. :shrug:

If they were to release all their content early in the week they would miss out on things that happen daily.
Look, Macklemore, people make these trade offs every day. I'm a pretty damn good cook, but that doesn't mean that I don't go to nice restaurants to avoid the hours it takes to cook, clean, etc... Same thing with housecleaning, yardwork, [name every other service we Americans can't live without]...we pay for these services to free up time.

Service companies need [and usually appreciate] to hear the good, bad, and ugly to improve customer satisfaction. If we don't speak up, then they may not be aware that there is a problem. Based on the other comments here, it seems like that may not be a small minority with this perception.

FGITLOTR said:
stathawk said:
Footballguys,

I thought it was me! For at least 5 years in a row, a bunch of us have asked for the Buy low/sell high article to be published earlier in the week, but to no avail. Is it really that difficult to rearrange the order of content being released each week? I read Bloom's rankings, but care WAY more about his thoughts on which guys to buy low/sell high.
It is. The Buy Low/Sell High is the "end product" of watching games, fielding questions to determine perceived values, projecting the upcoming weeks games, etc. Youll catch a lot of the take in nascent form on the audible recap/preview/WW shows along with the couch. But BLSH is the culmination of the week's work. its like baking a cake.

FBG has been led away from the path that built up their userbase and made them the best FF site on the interwebs. What led them astray? Greed, of course. All that DFS money was too tempting.

Sad, really. The only thing keeping me around are the yearly contests. As soon as another site offers something similar, I'll peace out.

Sig - "It's like baking a cake." I love your analogies almost more than anything else! Don't ever let those end.

If there is one thing that used to be on the site that I can't find anymore it is dates next to the projections so I know when they have been updated. That helps me know if they would/should include any recent news.

So your cake is baked on Thursday. Friday you can let it cool, Saturday you can frost it, and Sunday morning you can add sprinkles. Sunday and Monday someone comes in an knocks your cake on the floor and guess what, you need a new cake.

I'm not into DFS but my thoughts on it and FBG are:

- It has a substantial number of players and FBG should have DFS content (even though I don't play)

- I don't see the DFS content on FBG as overwhelming

- FBG content has been pretty good in differentiating recommendations that are for DFS just like they do with PPR/Standard/redraft/dynasty

- The daily DFS emails/promos is annoying

- To ask a business (FBG) to completely ignore a major shift in the market (DFS) is beyond ridiculous, IMO

- Reminding FBG that there are still season long players here is ALSO ok to do. If they chase the shiny new penny and give up the dingy quarter they already have are they really better off? Perhaps if they get enough pennies but it should be a consideration.

- It is possible that some of the FBG staff prefers DFS...

I am just hoping that everything doesn't go to DFS but I could see it. It reminds me of the shift in other markets from purchase/own to subscription (cable/sat vs streaming, software, etc). I would still like to pay once for my league and not have to buy every week even if I pay the same at the end. The catch is that DFS feeds the gambling addition and it is more likely that people will spend more. More $$$ means more incentive to move everyone to that model.

I gotta agree on the timing, rather than the content. With WWs running Tuesdays/Wednesday and game on Thursday, it sure would be helpful to get some of this content out earlier to help make WW decisions, trade decisions, and just overall knowledge. No one is saying to taht we shouldnt do our work. Rather, this info is a piece to the puzzle and helps making an overall informed decision. Bloom asnwers questions all day long on twitter. I would assume alot of that time coudl be used to get his content out to paid subscribers on a timely basis rather than twitter trolls. Im much rather see the articles and content be completed by Wednesday to help with WW and trades and just valuing players. Again, not saying to not do your own homework. But this helps sway a decision and is just part of the research process. Getting info Thursday is kind of late to be able to get in trade offers or make decisions on lineups.

It's not just the timing, it's the content. Two blurbs from this morning's email made me scratch my head.

It's still the Devonta Freeman show anyway, so Coleman's role would have been minor to begin with. We have Freeman as a top RB1 option this weekend.
The Redskins are the #2 rushing (and #4 overall) defense in the league. With Coleman back in the fold, this should scream GIANT RED FLAG for Week 5.

We're hoping he will play and cautiously optimistic for his production if he does, but we've slotted him as a WR3 because of the injury and a tough Kansas City defense.
KC is the #28 passing (and #28 overall) defense in the league. NOTHING indicates they are "tough".
I'll subscribe to your news letters

For 10$ a year, Ill email everyone the players I believe will explode in a given week.

Trade away or bench said players, and win your league.

Satisfaction, guaranteed.

- It has a substantial number of players and FBG should have DFS content (even though I don't play)

- FBG content has been pretty good in differentiating recommendations that are for DFS just like they do with PPR/Standard/redraft/dynasty

- To ask a business (FBG) to completely ignore a major shift in the market (DFS) is beyond ridiculous, IMO

- Reminding FBG that there are still season long players here is ALSO ok to do. If they chase the shiny new penny and give up the dingy quarter they already have are they really better off? Perhaps if they get enough pennies but it should be a consideration.

I am just hoping that everything doesn't go to DFS but I could see it. It reminds me of the shift in other markets from purchase/own to subscription (cable/sat vs streaming, software, etc). I would still like to pay once for my league and not have to buy every week even if I pay the same at the end. The catch is that DFS feeds the gambling addition and it is more likely that people will spend more. More $$$ means more incentive to move everyone to that model.
I don't think anyone is asking them to ignore a new portion of the market that is lucrative. I'm not sure how you jump to that conclusion.

I think FBGs set a standard of service for which they have accepted payment, and now have allowed their performance to fall. Customers have every right to question the provider under those circumstances.

I gotta agree on the timing, rather than the content. With WWs running Tuesdays/Wednesday and game on Thursday, it sure would be helpful to get some of this content out earlier to help make WW decisions, trade decisions, and just overall knowledge. No one is saying to taht we shouldnt do our work. Rather, this info is a piece to the puzzle and helps making an overall informed decision. Bloom asnwers questions all day long on twitter. I would assume alot of that time coudl be used to get his content out to paid subscribers on a timely basis rather than twitter trolls. Im much rather see the articles and content be completed by Wednesday to help with WW and trades and just valuing players. Again, not saying to not do your own homework. But this helps sway a decision and is just part of the research process. Getting info Thursday is kind of late to be able to get in trade offers or make decisions on lineups.
Fair critique. It can be mildly frustrating to out-of-your-mind insane from week to week. Thanksgiving is almost always the week I lose my mind and forget these folks have families too.

It's all about the DFS (which I personally could care less about) and as a result the rest of the content suffers.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is the Draft Dominator and the Projection Dominator.

If anyone remembers when they used to be cheatsheets.net or something, that's when the passion was there, right up unitl the last couple of years.

Money money mooooooooney ......

:lmao: Why not just bump this same thread from 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014?
:goodposting:

The following has been clear for years:

1. FBG has sacrificed quality for quantity of content

2. FBG priority is always on the next big thing, i.e., the next big revenue stream. First, it was mobile apps. More recently, it has been DFS. Regardless of what it is at any given time, it takes away from traditional fantasy football content.

These are business decisions. FBG seems to be quite successful, so it is hard to argue that they are bad business decisions. But no one should expect anything to change.

I have been a subscriber for many years. IMO the value of the subscription is in a few really strong items, like MyFBG and DraftDominator. Any value I get from other weekly content is just a bonus.

My perspective as one of the ‘old’ members of this forum is that fantasy football has changed dramatically and footballguys has not. I mean this in the most respectful way because I love footballguys for carrying the fantasy football torch for so many years. But when I jump on this site (even back when it was cheatsheets or whatever), it has been for the updates and perspective that was difficult to find anywhere else. The problem is twofold...first, the world has caught up to us fantasy nerds and that same information is pretty much lying around everywhere for us to pick up. The analytics that used to seem revolutionary is now basically being spun out of everywhere for free (or if you’re really fantasy football-diseased like me you just create your own analysis) Second...the best updates and perspective have always been available for free here in the shark pool.

Bottom line is I’ve subscribed a couple times to footballguys in the last 5 or 6 years and found nothing worthwhile about it. Creatively, the writing is not incredibly interesting and technically the information is pretty par for the course with free content elsewhere… there is nothing bringing me back. Again, this is not a knock on footballguys specifically but really the fact that analytics and fantasy football have become so much a part of all of our lives that the uniqueness of footballguys has worn off but the price has stayed the same or even risen.

I’m guessing they’re doing well financially with the continued growth of the hobby but for veteran fantasy players…we’ve seen it, done it and its nothing impressive enough to keep on the ever growing list of subscriptions we all have.

I don't think anyone is asking them to ignore a new portion of the market that is lucrative. I'm not sure how you jump to that conclusion.

I think FBGs set a standard of service for which they have accepted payment, and now have allowed their performance to fall. Customers have every right to question the provider under those circumstances.
That post was in response to the posts that implied that because they were doing DFS content that it was at the cost of the rest of the content. I do not agree that it does. I also have concerns in there that it could move in that direction.

I agree that subscribers have the right to question the timing and quality of the content. I have been a subscriber for many years and the weekly content page no longer has delivery dates by it like it used to in the past. If the weekly content pages still were arranged by day of the week then I would agree with you more. It is not because they know that there will be fluctuations. I wish I had a better idea of when content would be delivered and updated but I understand when to look for it. However, I do not feel like I was misled about the standard of service at all.

As a subscriber you can, and should, question the product you are getting. No doubt about it.

I am pretty happy with FBG content and timeliness so far this year. We clearly have differing experiences or expectations. That is ok too. My opinion does not invalidate yours or vice versa.

As a habitually-late submitter of subscriber content, I wanted to respond to this thread. Please keep in mind that all thoughts and experiences posted here are strictly my own; I could not possibly speak for anyone else on staff. I just agree that people deserve to know what's going on with the product that they paid for, so I figured I would share my own personal experiences.

First off, as a subscriber for ten years, I completely get the frustration when things are posted inconsistently or even late. I remember refreshing the page ten or fifteen times a day on Tuesdays until the Top 200 Forward was live so I could start using it to craft some trade offers. I totally get it. And it absolutely kills me whenever one of my own projects falls behind schedule, (which recently has been a frequent occurrence). I don't want to delude myself into thinking I'm producing cornerstone features and all of the subscribers are clicking refresh waiting for my articles to go live, but I do know that some people depend on the resources I'm providing, and every time they are delayed, I'm letting those people down.

I take that very seriously. I have a job that I love solely because subscribers like you have entrusted us with this big responsibility to provide you with advice and resources to help you manage your fantasy teams. Again, I don't want to delude myself into thinking that scores of people are subscribing specifically to hear what I have to say, but they're subscribing for the complete suite of features that FBGs offers, and I'm part of that suite, and I'm sometimes failing to deliver on my part in a timely manner. It's a failure. I hate it.

$30 is a lot to pay for fantasy advice, especially with so much quality stuff out there. I remember wondering if I couldn't make do with something for free, instead. And that was a decade ago; the quality of free offerings has increased exponentially since then. I just want to make it really clear that I don't take any of this lightly. I get where you're coming from. It's a perfectly legitimate place to be coming from. I've failed, you're mad, and that's totally legitimate.

I also completely get the frustration by non-DFS players, (or light DFS players), with all of the DFS content everywhere, (not just on Footballguys). I get that because I'm a non-DFS player, (or a light DFS player). I entered the Millionaire Maker one week last year to do research on a FBGs project. I entered a small GPP with the rest of the staff during the playoffs last year. The entire staff this year does a small weekly tournament for fun and bragging rights on FanDuel. That's the entire extent of my DFS experience- one large GPP, five small GPPs, and that's it.

While it seems like this increased attention on DFS at footballguys has coincided with a tend to ignore redraft and dynasty, I can say that with a few key exceptions, FBGs' DFS and non-DFS sides are separate entities. FBGs hires DFS staff using DFS funds to create DFS content. In the last two years, I believe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 people have been added to staff, and most of them have been focused on DFS. I agree that the DFS team has been killing it, producing tons of great content. But that's just a reflection on the quality of guys who've been hired. They're total bosses.

Anyway, on to me. Again, these are just my experiences, and are meant to explain my tardiness rather than excuse it. There is not an excuse for failing to deliver promised content in a timely manner, and the only appropriate apology is to rectify the problem and begin delivering content in a timely manner again. This is all just full transparency, because I know, (again, from experience), that sometimes a FBGs subscription feels like you put money in a slot and at some unknown point in the future content comes out. This is just a look at how the sausage is made. Or, rather, how I go about making the sausage that has been assigned to me to make. I don't often ask the other staff members about their sausage. Err... wait, that didn't come out right.

Personally, I'm responsible for five pieces of content a week. Every week, I'm the guy who does the Denver Broncos game recaps, the weekly upside projections, the weekly dynasty value charts, and a pair of dynasty strategy articles, (Dynasty, in Theory and Dynasty, in Practice). In addition to that, there are various other tasks which I perform which aren't technically a paid part of my job description, but which are pretty much essential to my role and my ability to execute the things that are in my job description. Namely, I will watch, re-watch, and make notes on as much of the prior week's action as I can. I will also answer emails, participate actively on Twitter, and maintain a presence here in the Shark Pool, answering fantasy questions, addressing concerns, engaging in discussions, and generally participating in the fantasy community as much as possible. (Like I'm doing right here, natch.)

Before the season, we submit a proposal for what weekly content we're going to provide, and then that plan gets approved. The weekly dynasty value charts that I'm doing now were something that came together very late in the preseason- it wasn't until the last week of August or so that I really had enough pieces to where I realized that this was something I could do. I honestly thought they were a really cool, potentially powerful tool for the dynasty community to use, so I scrambled to get something working together for the season kickoff.

The big problem was that my charts are reliant on the top 200 forward feature to feed them data, and that feature doesn't appear until Week 2, so I essentially couldn't test and troubleshoot them in advance of the season kickoff. So for the first couple of weeks, I've been behind the 8-ball, trying to fix things like format, troubleshoot errors in my formulas, look for potential improvements, and generally just build these things on the fly. It's been a much bigger challenge than I initially anticipated... but even if I'd anticipated it, I still probably would have forged ahead, because I think the product is potentially very powerful and I think these are just early-development growing pains.

Essentially, it's been a choice between not delivering something potentially useful, or delivering it late. I think it's better to have something too late than not at all. If I could fix the process and get everything running on schedule, that would be even better, still. I took a shot on something really big this year, and so far the process has been a bit rough. But it's the first quarter, and I'm really trying to get everything straightened out and provide something even better than anticipated over the rest of the year.

For those who don't know, I'm a stay-at-home dad, so I'm basically able to work on football projects while my son is either at preschool, (M/W/F), down for a nap, or asleep for the night. I can browse Twitter while he's awake, or read the forums and craft shorter replies, but by and large those are my main "work" windows. The original preseason plan had me devoting Monday to the Denver recap and catching up on the week's action, Tuesday night to the weekly projections, Wednesday morning to my value charts, and then I'd try to use the rest of my time to get my strategy articles out sometime on Thursday/Friday so they're ready for the weekend readers. (As strategy articles, they're a lot less time-sensitive than the other material.)

The problem, of course, is that the value charts have been eating up my entire Wednesday and most of my Thursday, leading to me scrambling on Friday to try to get both articles published by Friday night or Saturday morning. Which means I fear a lot of people who might be interested are missing them entirely. Like I said, this kills me. I hate it. (This week I'm even further behind, thanks to a super-fun stomach bug that decided to come and spend a few days with us all.)

So, again, since this is explanation and not apology, where do I go from here and how do I fix this going forward? Luckily, I've largely got the major bugs worked out of my charts, and (*fingers crossed*), should be able to finally get them out in a more reasonable timeframe. Hopefully this creates a cascade effect, which means value charts on Wednesday, articles on Thursday/Friday, and Saturday free for me to spend time with my family again. That's the plan.

Am I going to fall short of that in the future? I really hope not, but I'm not sure. I recognize that I don't have the greatest track record. As a primary caregiver, illnesses have a habit of wrecking my well-planned schedules. If I do fall short in the future, you all absolutely have a right to be upset about it and to hold me accountable for it. And, as consumers, you have a right to "vote with your dollars". It's not your job to be happy with what we provide. It's our job to make you happy with what we provide. And if we aren't doing that, then we don't deserve your business. That's really the bottom line.

Anyway, that's just where I'm at, and if anyone has been wondering what's been up with my pieces over the first four weeks, that's what's up. Again, I really want to stress that none of this is an excuse. I'm just trying to make things a bit more transparent, because some of you want to know what's going on, and I think you deserve to.

Thanks again to everyone who does subscribe. Because of you, I've been able to quit a job I didn't like to stay at home with my son. I get to spend my time doing something I love. I'm incredibly grateful for that opportunity, and I never take it for granted, not for a second. There's a lot of great content out there, and there are a lot of guys who would kill to be where I am right now. And it's incumbent on me to never give you all a reason to go elsewhere. I'm really trying. And I'm going to continue to try my best to do that. I just wanted to say that I really do appreciate you all.

Also, like I said, I know things sometimes seem pretty opaque and confusing, but I'm always going to be really open about everything. Because I feel like you all have a right to know. I'm always happy to answer any questions anyone might have either via PM, over Twitter (@AdamHarstad - also the quickest and most consistent way to get a hold of me if you want an answer fast), or via email, (harstad@footballguys.com). I'm also around on the forums, and I'll be sure to monitor this thread going forward, so if you have any other follow-up questions, go ahead and ask them here.

I agree with lots of posts in here and I subscribe every year now.

First, this thread happens every year.

Second, there are times when it seems like there is a complete whiff, i.e. not a single thread opened about actives/inactives (pretty sure those are FBGs staff opened) on a Thursday night game where Foster, Luck and Gore were all limited this week. Pretty easy to find that watching the NFL network, but the thing I love about the shark pool is being able to find all of the news in one place. Also, 1 of my 3 long standing leagues (20 years now) has a week 17 championship and the coverage of news on the FBGs site (have to go to shark pool/TV) is horrible. Maybe with DFS it will actually be good this year.

Third, some of their blurbs are just wrong (like KC being mentioned as tough against the pass). I love the 10 second primer, but honestly I usually ignore Maurile's rankings as they never seem to align with mine. No offense to him, but I use Dodds and Bloom as my tiebreakers. For instance, Bloom has Garcon higher than Jordan Matthews and I agree wholeheartedly, but I wasn't sure. I did and partially did it because he confirmed what I thought. In contrast to my note (below) about not taking things seriously I looked at all the match ups and scenarios and it was nice to see Bloom thought the same, so I picked up Garcon and have him over Matthews in my flex.

I don't take FF too seriously, only in 3 leagues and not in DFS, but FBGs definitely helps me take it a bit seriously without spending too much time on it. I can't remember how long and how many years, but I know in the past 7, I have won at least one of my 2 or 3 leagues every year and didn't win anything in the one year I didn't subscribe, leading me to jump back on the wagon a few years ago. That said, as posted above, there are time when I am not happy with the site.

C'mon dude. If you are waiting for "insider" articles or "professional" opinions...that's crazy. No FBG-paid expert knows more than you do. They, and you, may think they do, and you buying a subscription somewhat validates that view, but noooooo way. Its 99% speculation/luck/guesses/trends. That's it.

Waiting by the phone like some pre-teen expecting that call from the cool guy...its unbecoming. Move on. Make your own random guesses on your lineup and do like 99% of the rest of us...peruse the boards and watch your subscription team as a secondary thought to your main league(s). Good luck.

I just wanted to thank Adam for his post. I have never been a suscribed member--nor do I know him--but as the manager of a business--I very much respect his honesty. I don't want to go into the details of the kind of work that I do--but I will go as far to say that we work on (from minor repairs to full restoration) on items that very few people have the capability of doing at a very high level. The quality of our fit/finish/original restorations are really top notch. I'm very lucky to have some of the best guys in the field working for us in what we do.

In any case--over the last couple of years (and solely through word of mouth--as we purposely don't advertise much)--our business in the repair/restoration aspect of our business has steadily increased. I am taking 3-5 objects per week to restore--but each object takes my skilled worker at least 1-2 weeks of work to complete. A couple years ago--I used to be able to confidently quote a turnaround time of 4 weeks for one of these restorations--and now we are sometimes taking 6-8 weeks. The trend continues to get worse--as the more restorations we do--the more the word spreads about us--so our volume keeps going up. Whereas normally this is a "quality problem" for a business--the owner and I are very worried that the increasing volume of our business is getting us to the point where our turnaround times are becomming borderline detrimental and un-motivating for customers to give us their business. The point is--there is a point where a business becomes "maxed out". For us--the solution is in trying to find more of these skilled workers (which is borderline impossible), or to create changes in the pricing structure of the business.

From reading Adam's post--I personally think it's obvioius that the staff members are working their tails off and I admire that. I am a self admitted workaholic and I appreciate people that work as hard as they can. I do think that you guys might be to the point that you are either "max'd out" or getting very close to it. For my business--while we are actively looking for more skilled workers to add to our staff--we are considering raising our prices in the meantime in hopes of curbing the volume of new orders that we get to a more manageable level. In your case--I dont know what the answer is. Perhaps it's reducing the price of subscription so that you get soo many new members that you create extra revenue in order to hire more guys on the non-DFS side. A lower price might also lower the expectations of subscribers as well--so that might also be in your favor. Again--I don't know--but my point is--that to me it seems like your business is getting to the point where it's maxed out--and generally this kind of "quality problem" needs to be addressed before it turns into a real "negative problem".

Okay, read this thread and my opinion. Been a footballguys dude for a long time. I won a lot of leagues and money with their advice. Yes, there are sooo many others who have got into the game...I listen to many and no one knows the answer. I take it all in and then go with it.

I have noticed that content has been punctual lately. Perhaps they heard everyone. If you want to stay on top you've got to keep the accelerator to the floor, like Brady and Belichik - DO YOUR JOB.

Now, what is it that "we" want?

Valuable up to the minute information and perhaps trends and info that is relative like Leonard Hankerson and his relationship with the coach. I see him clearly as a #2 in Atlanta with upside to plug and play. Tell me more about trends before the competition catches on. Tell me what do you really think of Todd Gurley and the St. Louis Rams. Two big upsets and perhaps a close third?

I just wanted to thank Adam for his post. I have never been a suscribed member--nor do I know him--but as the manager of a business--I very much respect his honesty. I don't want to go into the details of the kind of work that I do--but I will go as far to say that we work on (from minor repairs to full restoration) on items that very few people have the capability of doing at a very high level. The quality of our fit/finish/original restorations are really top notch. I'm very lucky to have some of the best guys in the field working for us in what we do.

In any case--over the last couple of years (and solely through word of mouth--as we purposely don't advertise much)--our business in the repair/restoration aspect of our business has steadily increased. I am taking 3-5 objects per week to restore--but each object takes my skilled worker at least 1-2 weeks of work to complete. A couple years ago--I used to be able to confidently quote a turnaround time of 4 weeks for one of these restorations--and now we are sometimes taking 6-8 weeks. The trend continues to get worse--as the more restorations we do--the more the word spreads about us--so our volume keeps going up. Whereas normally this is a "quality problem" for a business--the owner and I are very worried that the increasing volume of our business is getting us to the point where our turnaround times are becomming borderline detrimental and un-motivating for customers to give us their business. The point is--there is a point where a business becomes "maxed out". For us--the solution is in trying to find more of these skilled workers (which is borderline impossible), or to create changes in the pricing structure of the business.

From reading Adam's post--I personally think it's obvioius that the staff members are working their tails off and I admire that. I am a self admitted workaholic and I appreciate people that work as hard as they can. I do think that you guys might be to the point that you are either "max'd out" or getting very close to it. For my business--while we are actively looking for more skilled workers to add to our staff--we are considering raising our prices in the meantime in hopes of curbing the volume of new orders that we get to a more manageable level. In your case--I dont know what the answer is. Perhaps it's reducing the price of subscription so that you get soo many new members that you create extra revenue in order to hire more guys on the non-DFS side. A lower price might also lower the expectations of subscribers as well--so that might also be in your favor. Again--I don't know--but my point is--that to me it seems like your business is getting to the point where it's maxed out--and generally this kind of "quality problem" needs to be addressed before it turns into a real "negative problem".
Like I said, I can't speak for anyone else. I don't know what time content is usually posted, and what time it's been posted recently. The bad part about working at Footballguys is that I'm too busy producing content to consume much of it, too. As far as I know, I'm the only guy who is falling behind. (I'm assuming not, since nobody mentioned me by name.)

I would agree that I'm maxed out in the short term, but I think a lot of it is just that: short-term woes. I took a shot at adding something potentially very cool this year knowing that there would be growing pains. In theory, my Wednesday/Thursday/Friday should be: run the formulas, add future expectations, write an article, write an article. Instead, they're: build the formulas, run the formulas, troubleshoot the formulas, add future expectations, write an article, write an article. In short, I think it's the sort of thing where, once I get everything put together properly, it should all come together much more quickly and be much more manageable.

I just wanted to say that I recognize I've been letting people down, and it's killing me, and I'm doing my best to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread