What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys

Player Page Link: Tony Romo Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I guess I will start it off...

Last year, Romo threw for 4483 yards and 26 TD. This season, they added potentially the best WR in the draft. So you would think that his throwing stats would go up as a result? I definitely agree.

The fact was, the Cowboys are talking all about how they want to re-establish the run, and yet even with that high passing total, the Cowboys also ran the ball for 2100 yards at a 4.8 YPC clip. I don't honestly see how they do that much more than that, and in fact I expect them to fall back to somewhere around 1800 rushing yards, which was around their yearly average from 2005-2008.

So those extra yards have to go somewhere, right? I honestly do not think Tony can improve TOO much on last year's yardage total, but I think the TD total will go up. Witten only had 2 TD last season, which was RIDICULOUSLY low with the yardage and catches that he had. I expect Austin will still get his, and Bryant should get 4-5 or so.

In all, I see the following for Romo:

360 for 565, 4550 Yards, 33 TD, with 15 INT. Maybe 30 Rushes for 100 Yards and Another TD.

Love Romo during the regular season, the guy seems to tighten up and choke in the playoffs. I am looking for about the same as last year. 24-28 TDs and over 4K is a given..too many weapons.

Tony Romo has been a consistent producer during the regular season for the Cowboys and for fantasy owners. In his four seasons of starting, he has averaged between 61% and 65% completion rate. in the past three seasons, he has averaged between 263 and 280 yards passing per game. He has also been a steady TD producer with two seasons at 26 and a third at 36.

The surprise to me is that even producing over 4,400 yards and 26 TDs, last year, he ranked only as the QB 6. He has a current ADP of QB 7 and 38 overall. I typically am a proponent of waiting patiently on QBs, but almost a guaranteed rate of 4,000 yards and 26 TDs sounds very attractive.

I don't see any way for the passing production for the Cowboys to decrease, barring a Romo injury. He is accurate and throws for a very solid yards per attempt, averaging over 8.0 his last four years. The Cowboys have three RBs that are all good receivers. They had excellent WR play a year ago and have added another outstanding weapon in Dez Bryant. They have one of the top receiving TEs. Just sounds too much like a stone cold lock.

Tony Romo 16 gms 355 complete 560 passes 63.4% 4592 yards 8.2 ypa 30 TDs 12 int 40 rushes 80 yards and 1 TD

Romo is a guy that I will try and get in every league I am in. Potential to be the top QB, and you can get him 1-2 rounds later than the Rodgers/Manning/Brees trio. Adding in Dez Bryant and a healthy Felix Jones only adds the weapons at Romo's disposal. Just play well during weeks 14-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 yds passing, 32 TD, 15 Int

100 yds rushing, 1 TD

Tony Romo has come a long way and I think all the early hype that surrounded him has proven true. After the Big Four Qbs I absolutely think that Romo is the safest and best of the next bunch. He has proven to be pretty conistent and capable of putting up first tier like numbers. Romo is the guy everyone should and most likely will be aiming for so if you want him dont wait too long. Im thinking

4500 yds 30 tds 14 ints

money in the bank

Tony Romo has always put up pretty good fantasy football numbers. However, Tony was labeled a guy who couldn't lead his team to a playoff win, that he just made too many mistakes when the chips were all on the line. That being a party boy or ladies man was just more important than putting everything into improving his football game.

At the beginning of last season, I thought I saw the same old Tony. He started the season off rough when he threw some bad balls against the Giants and lost that game at home. He looked a little shakey in Denver and the team came up short their too.

However, somewhere along the way, he grew up as a QB. He decided that he was going to protect the possession of the ball and not the lose game with a stupid air. He became the QB that many fans thought and were hoping he could become. Last year, he threw just 9 INT's, that is an awesome turn around.

I watched Romo just about every snap last year and he truly played at a high level. If you give Tony Romo time, he will kill you.

There are two games that come to my mind that he didn't play well in the 2nd half of the season and that was in Green Bay and in Minnesota. Both times they were not his fault as the offensive line just didn't do their job and he was under a ton of pressure. It wasn't like previous years where he just made bad decisions or bad throws. He just was under a ton of pressure, the running game wasn't working and that was it.

That leads me to my only really fear for Romo this upcoming season and that is they face a very tough schedule. However, the Cowboys should also be good and one could look at a tough schedule as one where Romo and the Cowboys will have to play football till the end of most of their games, unlike where many good teams are way ahead in 4th quarters of games and they just run out the clock, which is a fantasy nightmare for many owners.

Romo's in for a big year. If you draft him you won't be disappointed.

4300 yards, 29 td's and 11 int's

100 rushing and 1 td

I think Romo has the potential to end up as the #1 QB this year. I only hesitate because of some uncertainty at the Left Tackle position. What are everybody's feelings regarding the Cowboys' O-line and its impact on Romo?

I think Romo has the potential to end up as the #1 QB this year. I only hesitate because of some uncertainty at the Left Tackle position. What are everybody's feelings regarding the Cowboys' O-line and its impact on Romo?
I think the starting O-line is above average but they're not very deep. Last year, the Cowboys were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL. If they get bit by the injury bug this season, Romo could be under a lot of duress this year as they face a tough pass schedule to begin with.

Tony Romo has been a consistent producer during the regular season for the Cowboys and for fantasy owners. In his four seasons of starting, he has averaged between 61% and 65% completion rate. in the past three seasons, he has averaged between 263 and 280 yards passing per game. He has also been a steady TD producer with two seasons at 26 and a third at 36.

The surprise to me is that even producing over 4,400 yards and 26 TDs, last year, he ranked only as the QB 6. He has a current ADP of QB 7 and 38 overall. I typically am a proponent of waiting patiently on QBs, but almost a guaranteed rate of 4,000 yards and 26 TDs sounds very attractive.

I don't see any way for the passing production for the Cowboys to decrease, barring a Romo injury. He is accurate and throws for a very solid yards per attempt, averaging over 8.0 his last four years. The Cowboys have three RBs that are all good receivers. They had excellent WR play a year ago and have added another outstanding weapon in Dez Bryant. They have one of the top receiving TEs. Just sounds too much like a stone cold lock.

Tony Romo 16 gms 355 complete 560 passes 63.4% 4592 yards 8.2 ypa 30 TDs 12 int 40 rushes 80 yards and 1 TD
I agree with this assessment, but I'd like to make a point on the bolded part - he's not just solid in his YPA, he is 4th best ALL TIME and has the highest YPA of any active player. His YPA numbers are through the roof good.

I think the starting O-line is above average but they're not very deep. Last year, the Cowboys were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL. If they get bit by the injury bug this season, Romo could be under a lot of duress this year as they face a tough pass schedule to begin with.
The Cowboys don't face a tough pass schedule, in fact according to strength of schedule, they face the 3rd best pass schedule. All the more reason to take Romo this year.http://www.opensports.com/opinion/article/...gth-of-Schedule

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cowboys are truly primed for a big year offensively in 2010, one that could rival if not exceed their 2007 offensive season when they scored 50 offensive TD's.

If you look at their history including that season, here is how their profiles work out:

2007: Romo heading into first year as starter. Parcells first year gone from Cowboys. Everyone loves the soft touch of Wade Phillips - perhaps noone more than Terrell Owens who on his best behavior is a production monster. Romo & Owens appear to be best buds.

2008: Cracks in the armor start to show. Owens starts to fume about Romo's reliance on Witten and quietly seethes over the in-season acquisition of Roy Williams. Critics start to hammer Phillips about that soft touch of his. Turmoil permeates the entire team. Romo's leadership is questioned. Team disappoints with a stinker in the final game of the season against Philly. Owens is jettisoned.

2009: Season starts off rough at 2-2. Williams never pans out as a replacement #1 WR for the departed T.O. But Miles Austin comes out of nowhere and provides the #1 target that won't show up his QB that the Cowboys though Williams was to be. Increased offensive production after Austin emerges in Game 5 results in lots of yardage production but only 22 PPG.

Fact is, for as much as the Cowboys re-emerged as a legitimate threat in 2009 for the NFC crown, they averaged 18 PPG in the second half of 2009. To be fair, they had a pretty difficult schedule and still went 5-3 during this time. But IMO, the Cowboys could be explosive in 2010 to the point where even in the late 3rd round, Romo represents excellent value.

The Cowboys have been a team in transition ever since Parcells left and 2010 feels like the first year where stability reigns.

Romo in his 4th season as unquestioned starter.

Wade Phillips is in his 4th year as HC

Miles Austin is the #1 WR.

Jason Witten is the #1 TE.

The rotation of Barber/Jones/Choice at RB is solid with experience under their belts and roles they are familiar with.

Any locker room prima donnas/distractions have been eliminated or marginalized

...the wild card is a wildly talented WR they just drafted in Dez Bryant who can provide a type of X-factor that might be the passing games missing ingredient.

Before Austin emerged, Romo was having a pedestrian season, for him at least. He was on pace for just under 4000 yards and 16 TD's. Upon Austin's emergence, it gave Romo new life and not only was he productive, but efficient as well sporting a 22:5 TD:INT ratio all the while keeping a 64% Completion Rate with an 8.3 YPA. Going into 2009, the WR position was a question mark for Dallas. Now it's a big strength and with a maturing QB and team leader, this could be the year Dallas puts it all together.

This is a big play offense that now has another big play weapon. Instead of having Patrick Crayton or Roy Williams be their 3rd option in the passing game, it's a WR whose been compared to Randy Moss in terms of physical gifts. Whether that's hyperbole or not, the stars couldn't be lining up any better for Romo to have an MVP type of season.

Prediction: 357 Completions 543 Attempts 4816 Passing Yards, 35 TD's 15 INT's; 29 Rushes 97 Rushing Yards 0 TD's.

Romo has the best weapons he has ever had on offense and his game, which was already in the upper tier of QBs, went to another level last season. What's not to like?

The talk of him not being dedicated and having poor work habits is laughable to me. We are talking about an undrafted free agent who managed to beat a former probowl QB out for the starting QB job on possibly the most storied franchise in the NFL with one of the most conservative personnel men as head coach. The same coach that kept bringing back 40 year old Vinny T. Yeah that sounds like a player who would take his job for granted.

The best thing about his weapons is that they are all in their prime this season and have great incentive to perform at their best.

Miles Austin- Playing for a big contract.

Roy Williams- Playing for his spot on the team and possibly even his spot in the NFL. He doesn't want to have to go to a non contender.

Jason Witten- This guy always plays hard and smells a super bowl.

Dez Bryant- Wants to prove he is a top WR after dropping in the draft.

Patrick Crayton- Playing for his job.

Kevin Ogletree- Former undrafted FA Playing for a spot on this team or any team.

Sam Hurd- Same as Ogletree but with more experience and since he will cost a team more money as a vet he has a smaller window.

Martellus Bennett- Physical freak at the position who wants to make his mark and might be playing for his spot on the team as well.

Felix Jones- Very short ride from the next big thing to the next draft bust.

Marion Barber- Wants to keep his job.

Choice- wants a starting job on this team or the next.

Some people are worried about Free but this guy goes against Ware and Spencer in practice. The players and the coaches believe he is ready. Who am I to argue?

Jason Garrett is trying to get his name back into the offensive genius catagory. He will be putting his best foot forward this season.

Romo will blow his former stats off the chart this season.

A 5000 yard 40 TD season is within reach.

Romo has the best weapons he has ever had on offense and his game, which was already in the upper tier of QBs, went to another level last season. What's not to like?The talk of him not being dedicated and having poor work habits is laughable to me. We are talking about an undrafted free agent who managed to beat a former probowl QB out for the starting QB job on possibly the most storied franchise in the NFL with one of the most conservative personnel men as head coach. The same coach that kept bringing back 40 year old Vinny T. Yeah that sounds like a player who would take his job for granted.The best thing about his weapons is that they are all in their prime this season and have great incentive to perform at their best.Miles Austin- Playing for a big contract.Roy Williams- Playing for his spot on the team and possibly even his spot in the NFL. He doesn't want to have to go to a non contender.Jason Witten- This guy always plays hard and smells a super bowl.Dez Bryant- Wants to prove he is a top WR after dropping in the draft.Patrick Crayton- Playing for his job.Kevin Ogletree- Former undrafted FA Playing for a spot on this team or any team.Sam Hurd- Same as Ogletree but with more experience and since he will cost a team more money as a vet he has a smaller window.Martellus Bennett- Physical freak at the position who wants to make his mark and might be playing for his spot on the team as well.Felix Jones- Very short ride from the next big thing to the next draft bust.Marion Barber- Wants to keep his job.Choice- wants a starting job on this team or the next.Some people are worried about Free but this guy goes against Ware and Spencer in practice. The players and the coaches believe he is ready. Who am I to argue?Jason Garrett is trying to get his name back into the offensive genius catagory. He will be putting his best foot forward this season.Romo will blow his former stats off the chart this season.A 5000 yard 40 TD season is within reach.
LOL you guys are making me want draft Romo and Austin at the turn.......

Last year, Romo threw for 4483 yards and 26 TD.

I think he breaks his own Cowboys records this season barring injury.

This year sets up for a huge season for Romo and to turn a blind eye to that is just crazy.

This will be an all time season for the Cowboys offense and I am not saying the Cowboys will win the super bowl or anything just that this offense will be scary.

4800 YARDS

34 TD'S

14 INTS

Romo has the best weapons he has ever had on offense and his game, which was already in the upper tier of QBs, went to another level last season. What's not to like?

The talk of him not being dedicated and having poor work habits is laughable to me. We are talking about an undrafted free agent who managed to beat a former probowl QB out for the starting QB job on possibly the most storied franchise in the NFL with one of the most conservative personnel men as head coach. The same coach that kept bringing back 40 year old Vinny T. Yeah that sounds like a player who would take his job for granted.

The best thing about his weapons is that they are all in their prime this season and have great incentive to perform at their best.

Miles Austin- Playing for a big contract.

Roy Williams- Playing for his spot on the team and possibly even his spot in the NFL. He doesn't want to have to go to a non contender.

Jason Witten- This guy always plays hard and smells a super bowl.

Dez Bryant- Wants to prove he is a top WR after dropping in the draft.

Patrick Crayton- Playing for his job.

Kevin Ogletree- Former undrafted FA Playing for a spot on this team or any team.

Sam Hurd- Same as Ogletree but with more experience and since he will cost a team more money as a vet he has a smaller window.

Martellus Bennett- Physical freak at the position who wants to make his mark and might be playing for his spot on the team as well.

Felix Jones- Very short ride from the next big thing to the next draft bust.

Marion Barber- Wants to keep his job.

Choice- wants a starting job on this team or the next.

Some people are worried about Free but this guy goes against Ware and Spencer in practice. The players and the coaches believe he is ready. Who am I to argue?

Jason Garrett is trying to get his name back into the offensive genius catagory. He will be putting his best foot forward this season.

Romo will blow his former stats off the chart this season.

since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :D He is the classic fantasy playoff dud...

I understand he is a terrific QB for much of the season, but spending a 3rd round pick on a QB who you won't want to play in weeks 14-16, seems risky..

it just means you'll need to burn another high pick on a 2nd QB to use during these playoff weeks..

since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :thumbdown: He is the classic fantasy playoff dud...

I understand he is a terrific QB for much of the season, but spending a 3rd round pick on a QB who you won't want to play in weeks 14-16, seems risky..

it just means you'll need to burn another high pick on a 2nd QB to use during these playoff weeks..

In reference to the bolded portion above - weeks 14-16 (3 games)...14 TD's in 3 isn't "paltry"....its the INT's that make his numbers look bad and think it would be fair to say that not every single INT was his fault. If he eliminates those int's this year - that 14 td probably increases to 18. At some point everthing should click for this guy - now's as good a time as any - IMO.

since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :thumbdown:

He is the classic fantasy playoff dud...

Yeah, I wouldn't want a QB that averaged 17.6 FF (according to FBG scoring) during the playoffs??? :) Oh, yeah, you forgot to mention that Romo has improved his FF performance during the playoffs (weeks 14-16) EVERY YEAR that he's been a starter. 15.9 FF PPG in 2006, 16.7 FF PPG in 2007, 17.3 FF PPG in 2008, & 20.7 FF PPG in 2009.

That doesn't sound like a

QB who you won't want to play in weeks 14-16

since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :goodposting:

Yeah, I wouldn't want a QB that averaged 17.6 FF (according to FBG scoring) during the playoffs??? :confused: Oh, yeah, you forgot to mention that Romo has improved his FF performance during the playoffs (weeks 14-16) EVERY YEAR that he's been a starter. 15.9 FF PPG in 2006, 16.7 FF PPG in 2007, 17.3 FF PPG in 2008, & 20.7 FF PPG in 2009.

That doesn't sound like a

QB who you won't want to play in weeks 14-16
Excellent points made.Two more things to like about Romo during the playoffs:

1. They play in a very competitive division so the odds of him being rested any during the final 3 games, where two are against division opponents and the third is against another NFC team that will be fighting for a playoff spot, are plenty slim.

2. In weeks 14-16 they play at home twice and finish in Arizona. I hate worrying about weather issues during the playoffs and Romo shouldn't have any.

Tanner9919 said:
since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :excited: He is the classic fantasy playoff dud...I understand he is a terrific QB for much of the season, but spending a 3rd round pick on a QB who you won't want to play in weeks 14-16, seems risky..it just means you'll need to burn another high pick on a 2nd QB to use during these playoff weeks..
As a cowboys fan, and a homer that will keep drafting him I Hope he keeps being a fantasy playoff dud then2009Wk 14: 20.4 pts15: 21.7 pts16: 17.3 pts2008Wk14: 11.1 pts15: 20.9 pts16: 18.8 pts2007WK14: 24.6 pts15: 9.2 pts16: 17.1 pts2006WK14: 14.5 pts15: 20.9 pts16: 13.3 ptsdecimal scoring, 4 per TD, -1 per int'Seems really solid to me. Especially considering he as gotten better every year.

article by gosselin...

1) he states this is the DEEPEST (not best) collection of skill position players DAL has ever had...

2) in trying to project romo's numbers, it seems questionable to just sum everybody's career seasons... AND add more numbers for bryant... that said, i think 30-32 TDs very possible, and he could take a run at his career high of 36, possibly with upside... the DAL stars seem to be aligned for a deep playoff run...

3) at bottom he shows the top 10 QBs by efficiency/rating (romo #3, right behind rivers at #2)... seven are still active, and warner was until last year (steve young #1, montana also on list)... perhaps the rule changes making it easier for QBs and WRs are coming into play... that should translate to across the board improvements in completion %, yards, TDs & reduced INTs (all which feed into the efficiency rating)...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ol.1c918c8.html

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo among all-time elite

01:48 AM CDT on Friday, July 9, 2010

Column by RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News | rgosselin@dallasnews.com

ARLINGTON – Tony Romo has accomplished so much as an NFL quarterback in such a short period of time.

Romo went to the Pro Bowl as a first-year starter with the Cowboys in 2006. He set a franchise record for touchdown passes in 2008 with 36, then established the franchise mark for passing yards in 2009 with 4,483.

Romo finally has thrown the necessary 1,500 passes to qualify for the NFL career passing list and debuts in 2010 as the third most-efficient quarterback in history – ahead of Peyton Manning , Kurt Warner , Tom Brady , Joe Montana and Drew Brees.

And we still haven't seen the best of Tony Romo. But we have a chance to this season.

The Cowboys have surrounded Romo with the most talented supporting cast of his five-year tenure.

Tight end Jason Witten , wide receivers Miles Austin and Roy Williams and halfback Marion Barber have all been to the Pro Bowl. Running back Felix Jones, tight end Martellus Bennett and wide receiver Dez Bryant were all premium draft choices with Pro Bowl traits.

There may not be a deeper cast of playmakers anywhere in the NFL. Romo's cast is deeper in quantity than those that won Super Bowls with Roger Staubach at the helm in the 1970s and with Troy Aikman at the helm in the 1990s.

So Romo could be in a position to batter his own franchise records and challenge a few NFL marks as well. But that may not be the path Romo and the Cowboys choose to follow if they hope to remain home in February to play the Super Bowl on their home field. History has not been kind to the great passing teams of the modern era.

The NFL's No. 1 passing team has played for a championship only five times in Super Bowl history: the 1984 Miami Dolphins, 1999 and 2001 St. Louis Rams, 2002 Oakland Raiders and 2007 New England Patriots.

Those teams went 1-4 in Super Bowls, and the 1999 title game ended with Tennessee on the St. Louis 1-yard line. So the No. 1-ranked passing offenses are 1 yard shy of possibly being winless in Super Bowls.

In each of those five cases, the quarterback of that top-ranked passing attack was the league MVP: Dan Marino in 1984, Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001, Rich Gannon in 2002 and Tom Brady in 2007.

Marino set the NFL record for passing yards with 5,084 in 1984, and Brady set the league mark for touchdown passes with 50 in 2007. But neither has a Super Bowl ring to show for those seasons.

For all of his passing yards and touchdowns in the last decade, Peyton Manning has only one Super Bowl ring to show for his arm. Brett Favre also has managed to win only one ring in his 19 seasons, and Marino never won any.

If Romo's playmakers all match their career years in 2010, the Cowboys' offense will have 350 receptions, 4,594 yards and 31 touchdowns in the bank. And that doesn't include anything from the rookie Bryant, who could push this offense into the stratosphere with his playmaking ability.

So 400 completions, 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns could all be within Romo's reach in 2010. All of his playmakers are in their 20s – still young enough to have those career seasons.

Romo turned 30 this year. He's grown as a passer and matured as a leader in is 55 career starts. He realizes the Cowboys – and the 2010 season – are not about Tony Romo.

"At the end of the day, winning is what counts at my position," Romo said Wednesday before a promotional appearance for Starter apparel at an Arlington Wal-Mart. "As I get older, it doesn't matter to me if I throw for 100 yards a game or 400 if we win. You're a far better quarterback when you throw for 150 yards and win than when you throw for 320 and lose. Stats are just stats."

The Cowboys finished sixth in the NFL in passing last season, winning the NFC East and advancing to the semifinal round of the playoffs. Romo is more concerned with taking the next step collectively as a team than individually as a quarterback.

"Two of my favorites were Magic Johnson and Larry Bird," Romo said. "They were selfless with the way they played. They could have easily averaged another five to 10 points per game if they had wanted to, but I don't know that they would have achieved their team goals.

"For my perspective, [statistics] are something that kind of just happen in the process of winning or in an effort to be the best you can be."

TOP 10 PASSERS

The top 10 passers in NFL history entering the season. It's based on their efficiency rating (a formula that includes yards, touchdowns, interceptions and completion percentage). A quarterback needs to throw 1,500 career passes to qualify:

Rank, quarterback, Rating

1. Steve Young 96.8

2. Philip Rivers 95.8

3. Tony Romo 95.6

4. Peyton Manning 95.2

5. Kurt Warner 93.7

6. Tom Brady 93.3

7. Joe Montana 92.3

8. Drew Brees 91.9

9. Ben Roethlisberger 91.7

10. Chad Pennington 90.1

• • •

since 2006, in critical weeks 14-16 where championships are won , Romo avg's a paltry 240.5 pass yards and a horrible 14 TD, 14 INT.... :thumbup:

As a cowboys fan, and a homer that will keep drafting him I Hope he keeps being a fantasy playoff dud then

Wk

14: 20.4 pts

15: 21.7 pts

16: 17.3 pts

Wk

14: 11.1 pts

15: 20.9 pts

16: 18.8 pts

WK

14: 24.6 pts

15: 9.2 pts

16: 17.1 pts

WK

14: 14.5 pts

15: 20.9 pts

16: 13.3 pts

decimal scoring, 4 per TD, -1 per int'

Seems really solid to me. Especially considering he as gotten better every year.
I would not say they are SOLID. I would actually agree with the first writer and say that last year was decent, but nothing great or outstanding to give you an edge, but decent. however the prior 3 years were weak.

If you take a deaper look,

In 2006 he scored only 14.5 points in week 14,

in 2007 he scored 9.2 points in week 15,

in 2008, he scored 11.1 points in week 14.

This is bad enough to get you knocked out in either week 14 or 15.

I do feel that 2009 was much better and could be the future trend given the talented receiving corp he has now

However if you consider that 2006-2008 numbers are "solid" i would think that you felt the following QBs are also solid but you can have them much later in the draft.

Flacco

week 14 -15.7

week 15 -28.2

week 16 -15.3

Orton

week 14 - 21.95

week 15 -19.0

week 16 -21.15

Henne

week 14 - 10.1

week 15 - 19.6

week 16 - 20.1

Eli Manning

week 14 - 33.4

week 15 - 25.4

week 16 - 17.4

Now as far as Romo goes

Completion percentage and Y/A

He has averaged between 61% and 65% completion percentage since he joined the league and 3 of his last 4 years he has averaged between 8.1 and 8.6 Y/A. The other year was 7.7. The WR corp is awesome along with a top TE in Witten and he should be able to continue around the 8 YPA.

TDs and Interceptions

Last year he only had 9 interceptions compared to a minimum of 13 to a peak of 19 the prior 3 years. Those numbers have to go up. I would expect to see at a minum 12 Int so if you are penalized for INTs, keep that in mind. His season high of TDs is 36 in 2007, but he has only had 26 in each of the last 2 years. I would also expect those numbers to go up and could see a high of 28 or 29.

Yards and attempts

Romo's rushing yards have been pretty consistant of about 100 yards rushing on just over 30 attempts each year typically with no TDs.

Last year he had the most attempts he has ever had (550) and the most yards (4483). Look for more of the same as far as yards go with the strong receiving crew.

Fantasy points/PROJECTIONS

look for almost and identical year compared to last year. The major risk here is that there is an injury to Austin or Whitten. If everything stays the same, look

for Romo to put up the following numbers

CMP ATT PYD CMP% Y/A PTD

341 549 4400 0.62 8.01 29

INT RSH YD TD FPT

14 32 100 0 346

So where should we draft this guy? no1 pick lets say grab peterson, then at the turn you get austin (or ur top wr left) and romo?

I would not say they are SOLID. I would actually agree with the first writer and say that last year was decent, but nothing great or outstanding to give you an edge, but decent. however the prior 3 years were weak. If you take a deaper look, In 2006 he scored only 14.5 points in week 14, (in 2007 he scored 9.2 points in week 15, in 2008, he scored 11.1 points in week 14. This is bad enough to get you knocked out in either week 14 or 15. I do feel that 2009 was much better and could be the future trend given the talented receiving corp he has nowHowever if you consider that 2006-2008 numbers are "solid" i would think that you felt the following QBs are also solid but you can have them much later in the draft.2009Flacco week 14 -15.7week 15 -28.2week 16 -15.3Ortonweek 14 - 21.95week 15 -19.0week 16 -21.15Henneweek 14 - 10.1week 15 - 19.6week 16 - 20.1Eli Manningweek 14 - 33.4week 15 - 25.4week 16 - 17.4__________________________________________________________________
Ill give you 2006 as a dud playoff run, but he has been much more consistent since then. In the last 3 years he has 2 games under 17pts. Tanner said he was a QB you would not want to play week 14-16 I Was just saying his numbers are by no means Duds never said they were outstanding....just good enough where I would start him with confidence knowing he was going to get me points. Any given week you can find someone who scored more than someone who was drafted higher than them. In 2009 Rodgers, P. Manning, Farve, Roth, Brady, Warner, Cutler, Palmer all had games 12 or less during weeks 14-16......9 out of the top 15 FF QB's had atleast 1 game of less then 15 points. Should i pass on of them as well considering i could get Henne much later?I agree with your 2010 projections though4400+yds 30+tds

TDs and InterceptionsLast year he only had 9 interceptions compared to a minimum of 13 to a peak of 19 the prior 3 years. Those numbers have to go up. I would expect to see at a minum 12 Int so if you are penalized for INTs, keep that in mind. His season high of TDs is 36 in 2007, but he has only had 26 in each of the last 2 years. I would also expect those numbers to go up and could see a high of 28 or 29.
Romo's 26 TDs in 08 came in 13 games- pro rated thats 32 for the season. For his career he has thrown 106 TDs in 56 full games- which ~ 30 for a full season.

I would not say they are SOLID. I would actually agree with the first writer and say that last year was decent, but nothing great or outstanding to give you an edge, but decent. however the prior 3 years were weak. If you take a deaper look, In 2006 he scored only 14.5 points in week 14, (in 2007 he scored 9.2 points in week 15, in 2008, he scored 11.1 points in week 14. This is bad enough to get you knocked out in either week 14 or 15. I do feel that 2009 was much better and could be the future trend given the talented receiving corp he has nowHowever if you consider that 2006-2008 numbers are "solid" i would think that you felt the following QBs are also solid but you can have them much later in the draft.2009Flacco week 14 -15.7week 15 -28.2week 16 -15.3Ortonweek 14 - 21.95week 15 -19.0week 16 -21.15Henneweek 14 - 10.1week 15 - 19.6week 16 - 20.1Eli Manningweek 14 - 33.4week 15 - 25.4week 16 - 17.4__________________________________________________________________
Ill give you 2006 as a dud playoff run, but he has been much more consistent since then. In the last 3 years he has 2 games under 17pts. Tanner said he was a QB you would not want to play week 14-16 I Was just saying his numbers are by no means Duds never said they were outstanding....just good enough where I would start him with confidence knowing he was going to get me points. Any given week you can find someone who scored more than someone who was drafted higher than them. In 2009 Rodgers, P. Manning, Farve, Roth, Brady, Warner, Cutler, Palmer all had games 12 or less during weeks 14-16......9 out of the top 15 FF QB's had atleast 1 game of less then 15 points. Should i pass on of them as well considering i could get Henne much later?I agree with your 2010 projections though4400+yds 30+tds
I would feel great starting him in 2010 either regular season or in the playoff weeks and I love romo, but my point was that other than 2009 i would not say he was "SOLID" in any year but then. 2006 = Dud07 or 08 = he had one week (9 or 11 points) that could knock you out of the playoffs. I mean what does it take to get to 9 points 120 yards and a TD, or 180 yards and NO TDS. That is horrible. NOT .....SOLID> If his lowest points in the playoffs for those years were say 15 or 16. i would say they are ok, NOT ...Solid.... Solid was his 2009 numbers. again with that being said, i love romo and don't look at how he as done in weeks 14-16 because a lot of it has to do with schedule, injuries on the team, team contention, O line, ........ so to look at 2006 or 2007 and say that he is bad in fantasy playoff weeks for 2010 is crazy. with that being said, for 2010, i think he WILL be .... SOLID.

So where should we draft this guy? no1 pick lets say grab peterson, then at the turn you get austin (or ur top wr left) and romo?
if brees, and rodgers are gone.... you bet. I mean he is throwing to austin, whitten and felix jones. who have done well and are proven.

if brees, and rodgers are gone.... you bet. I mean he is throwing to austin, whitten and felix jones. who have done well and are proven.
Witten isn't bad either and I think the addition of Dez gives Romo an out on damn near every play. Someone is going to be open.

Very sadly, the hype that surrounds Romo is eroding is value by the minute. Right now, he's costing a third round pick, but I get the feeling that by the end of August, it will cost you a late second. H seems to be the darling of the draft this year. It's like everyone wants to pull a fast one on everyone else by drafting Romo. At some point, it's no longer a fast one.

Love his prospects this year, hate the value.

ETA - a week ago, I was all but certain I would draft Romo...now notsomuch...

-jb- said:
Very sadly, the hype that surrounds Romo is eroding is value by the minute. Right now, he's costing a third round pick, but I get the feeling that by the end of August, it will cost you a late second. H seems to be the darling of the draft this year. It's like everyone wants to pull a fast one on everyone else by drafting Romo. At some point, it's no longer a fast one.Love his prospects this year, hate the value.ETA - a week ago, I was all but certain I would draft Romo...now notsomuch...
One of the things affecting this is Rivers. I believe that his drop in value is pushing Romo up a little.

cowpie said:
I get your point but F. Jones has 21 receptions and 0 receiving TDs in his 2 year career.

-jb- said:
Very sadly, the hype that surrounds Romo is eroding is value by the minute. Right now, he's costing a third round pick, but I get the feeling that by the end of August, it will cost you a late second. H seems to be the darling of the draft this year. It's like everyone wants to pull a fast one on everyone else by drafting Romo. At some point, it's no longer a fast one.Love his prospects this year, hate the value.ETA - a week ago, I was all but certain I would draft Romo...now notsomuch...
One of the things affecting this is Rivers. I believe that his drop in value is pushing Romo up a little.
And that's why I have no problem taking Rivers hopefully a couple of rounds later.

cowpie said:
I would feel great starting him in 2010 either regular season or in the playoff weeks and I love romo, but my point was that other than 2009 i would not say he was "SOLID" in any year but then. 2006 = Dud07 or 08 = he had one week (9 or 11 points) that could knock you out of the playoffs. I mean what does it take to get to 9 points 120 yards and a TD, or 180 yards and NO TDS. That is horrible. NOT .....SOLID> with that being said, for 2010, i think he WILL be .... SOLID.
wow your fixated on one word. We obviously have different opinions on what solid means and I'm ok (solid) with that :unsure: Wont argue he has had 2 bad games in the last 3 years for those weeks. My point was every other top QB has had at least 1 as well.

I know it's only preseason, but I'm a little nervous after what I saw tonight (I drafted Romo yesterday in the middle of the 2nd round.) That offense looked really out of sync tonight, and the off. line looked especially awful against a good Houston D-Line. Anybody else have concerns here?

I know it's only preseason, but I'm a little nervous after what I saw tonight (I drafted Romo yesterday in the middle of the 2nd round.) That offense looked really out of sync tonight, and the off. line looked especially awful against a good Houston D-Line. Anybody else have concerns here?
Yes! :goodposting:

No, not really. Like you stated, it is preseason.

Absolutely. The Cowboys have very little OL depth. Columbo hasn't been the same since his injury - he's hurt now as is Kyle Kosier. The 1st team offense hasn't been in sync all pre-season.

timschochet said:
The line has been getting consistently manhandled in pre season. Romo has been running for his life. I've very concerned about how they've looked. Its great to have wonderful skill position players. But if no one is blocked, it wont matter.The consistency of the oline poor production this pre season does have me downgrading Romo and the offense a notch. Still one of the elite. But instead of Top 4, now top 10.

Missing 2 starting o-linemen against a team they play in week 3. Yes they were sloppy, but it's preseason. They will be fine. A couple of other points:

-First team to start camp-might be fatigued.

-What will Dez add to the offense.

-I thought Roy looked good last night which is encouraging.

-To me the biggest concern is the lack of run game. If that continues it will only help Romo's numbers.

Waaaaay too early to panic or downgrade imo...

There's some value to what you see in the preseason, especially with rookies and guys without much starting experience. With Romo though I'm really not that worried. I'm not going to change my opinion of his chances too much based on a couple of bad preseason outings... though I hope the guys in my league do.

Missing 2 starting o-linemen against a team they play in week 3. Yes they were sloppy, but it's preseason. They will be fine. A couple of other points:-First team to start camp-might be fatigued.-What will Dez add to the offense.-I thought Roy looked good last night which is encouraging.-To me the biggest concern is the lack of run game. If that continues it will only help Romo's numbers.Waaaaay too early to panic or downgrade imo...
Is it too early to be cautiously concerned?

See that little red button on your keyboard marked panic? Press it repeatedly.
I'm not going to panic. Yet. But I am concerned. I drafted Romo pretty darn high- I had him in the elite class with Rodgers, Manning, and Brees. If he is mediocre this year I am really screwed.

I am pretty concerned. They have looked awful every game. I know it is only preseason, but they are playing in a pretty tough division, and expectations are high, so if things begin to unravel around this team, negativity could set in awfuly quick. Romo is an excellent talent, but I have never pegged him as the type to be a true leader in tough times. The only way I am drafting him now is if he falls into the 6th round range (10 teamer).

as another highly invested romo owner i am nervous...gernally people get overhyped because they looked so good in the preseason. A qb should excel going against vanilla D's...when you look bad in the preseason it usually doesn't translate into a fantastic regular season

Users who are viewing this thread