What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (1 Viewer)

#244T - BILLY SQUIER - Don't Say No (1981) (3.2 million albums)
Notable songs: The Stroke (#17), In The Dark (#35), My Kinda Lover (#45), Lonely Is The Night (#28 AOR Chart)

Don't Say No was one of Squier's two Top 5 albums and featured half of his four Top 40 hits. He timed the MTV era and big hair rock scene just right. He had 3-4 years where he was a regular on FM radio.
When we were discussing Paradise Theater yesterday amid the arena rock craze that year, I was going to mention a few others that were monsters at the time. This was another one, but didn’t want to spotlight.
He was huge in '82. Saw him at a sold out Cotton Bowl in Dec '82 with the Who and Steel Breeze. His entire set he had a series of Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders rotating through with him on stage. Definitely memorable.
Now it’s starting to make sense where he got his outfit inspiration for the “Rock Me Tonite” video.
Yea, he may not "roll' that way, but he definitely "rocked' that way...
Going back to the concert you attended that year, that was the Who’s farewell tour IIRC. We’re still waiting…

And Steel Breeze must have played “You Don’t Want Me Anymore” on a loop during their performance.
No, I saw the REAL farewell tour in 86 (I believe, it's all hazy) at the old Astrodome in Houston. They played with the Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV. Homecourt advantage for SRV. The Who sounded like crap, got booed, and the crowd asked for more SRV. But, yes, still waiting.

Notable songs: The Stroke (#17), In The Dark (#35), My Kinda Lover (#45), Lonely Is The Night (#28 AOR Chart)

Don't Say No was one of Squier's two Top 5 albums and featured half of his four Top 40 hits. He timed the MTV era and big hair rock scene just right. He had 3-4 years where he was a regular on FM radio.
When we were discussing Paradise Theater yesterday amid the arena rock craze that year, I was going to mention a few others that were monsters at the time. This was another one, but didn’t want to spotlight.
He was huge in '82. Saw him at a sold out Cotton Bowl in Dec '82 with the Who and Steel Breeze. His entire set he had a series of Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders rotating through with him on stage. Definitely memorable.
Now it’s starting to make sense where he got his outfit inspiration for the “Rock Me Tonite” video.
Going back to the concert you attended that year, that was the Who’s farewell tour IIRC. We’re still waiting…

And Steel Breeze must have played “You Don’t Want Me Anymore” on a loop during their performance.
No, I saw the REAL farewell tour in 86 (I believe, it's all hazy) at the old Astrodome in Houston. They played with the Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV. Homecourt advantage for SRV. The Who sounded like crap, got booed, and the crowd asked for more SRV. But, yes, still waiting.
Would make a great holiday gift

#234 - BILLY JOEL - Songs In The Attic (1981) (3.286 million albums)
Notable songs: Say Goodbye To Hollywood (#17), She's Got A Way (#23), You're My Home (didn't chart), Miami 2017, Summer Highland Falls, Captain Jack, Ballad Of Billy The Kid

Joel's first live album with a number of his earlier tracks before he hit the big time. There will be a lot of Billy albums on the list, so be prepared for as much Joel as in The Boys series. A little more soulful and less poppy than his later material.

#233 - RUSH - 2112 (1976) (3.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Suite, A Passage To Bangkok, The Twilight Zone

Quintessential mid-70's Rush. Even though it sold well, it only peaked at #61 on the albums chart. I would guess that the album garnered a lot of sales when Rush started becoming more popular / more mainstream. I can't speak to that, as I am not a die hard Rush fan and only started getting into them in the 80's. I am sure there are Rush aficionados that can chime in on this one.

#232 - BLACK SABBATH - Heaven And Hell (1980) (3.44 million albums)
Notable songs: Neon Knights, Die Young. Title Track, Lady Evil, Children Of The Sea

The first Sabbath album with Ronnie James Dio. My knowledge and interest in BS was mostly their early albums. I vaguely remember the title track and Neon Knights. Dio was born in my home state (New Hampshire).

#231 - DAVID BOWIE - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980) (3.45 million albums)
Notable songs: Fashion (#70), Ashes To Ashes, Title Track, Up The Hill Backwards (All Top 40 in the UK)

Probably my second favorite Bowie album after ZS. I've always been a fan of Robert Fripp's guitar playing dating back to his King Crimson days. As I have mentioned many times, Bowie is an acquired taste, and I can see why a lot of people aren't into him.

#230 - GENESIS - Wind & Wuthering (1976) (3.47 million)
Notable songs: Your Own Special Way (#62), Afterglow

I told you that Genesis is well represented on this list. Your Own Special Way was their first song to chart in the U.S. IIRC, this is the last full studio album to feature Peter Gabriel on vocals before the transition to Phil Collins (and a subsequent pivot to their sound).

I told you that Genesis is well represented on this list. Your Own Special Way was their first song to chart in the U.S. IIRC, this is the last full studio album to feature Peter Gabriel on vocals before the transition to Phil Collins (and a subsequent pivot to their sound).
Incorrect. Gabriel's last album was The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974). This was the second album after his departure; the first was A Trick of the Tail. This was the last album for guitarist Steve Hackett, hence the record after this is called ...And Then There Were Three.

Quintessential mid-70's Rush. Even though it sold well, it only peaked at #61 on the albums chart. I would guess that the album garnered a lot of sales when Rush started becoming more popular / more mainstream. I can't speak to that, as I am not a die hard Rush fan and only started getting into them in the 80's. I am sure there are Rush aficionados that can chime in on this one.
2112 was Rush's fourth album and outsold the first three combined within a few months of its release. After the third album, the label had told them they would be dropped if their fourth did not sell better. Instead of trying to make their sound trendier, the band decided that if it was going to go out, they would do so on their own terms, and made the metal/prog/hard rock fusion album they always wanted to. And it resonated with the rock audience immediately, raising their profile. Many of the sales did come later after new fans came aboard due to popular albums such as Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals, as said fans learned soon enough of the reputation of 2112 and wanted to check it out.

Significant radio play wouldn't come until a year later with "Closer to the Heart" from the fifth album, A Farewell to Kings.

#250 - STYX - Paradise Theater (1981) (3.16 million albums)
Notable songs: The Best Of Times (#3 Billboard Singles Chart), Too Much Time On My Hands (#8), Nothing Ever Goes As Planner (#54), Rocking The Paradise (#8 Rock Chart), Snowblind (#22 Rock Chart)

This was the top-selling Styx album (but did not make Tim's list). The Grand Illusion was Tim's #67 album and Pieces of Eight was #92. Each of those sold 3.1 million copies and just missed the Top 250. I saw Styx several times over the years (basically once every 10 years), and they always put on an enjoyable show.

#249 - LYNYRD SKYNYRD - One More From The Road (1976) (3.17 million albums)
Notable songs: Live versions of Free Bird (#38), Gimme Three Steps (didn't chart), Sweet Home Alabama, T For Texas, Crossroads, most of their other hits)

The original 1976 release contained 14 tracks and for years was the only live album pre-plane crash (two came out in 2009). The deluxe edition that came out in 2001 featured 24 songs and clocks in at over 2.5 hours. For those that like live albums and Southern rock, the deluxe version is an enjoyable listen. Like Styx, this is the best-selling Skynyrd album . . . meaning none of their studio albums made this list.

#248 - ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - Discovery (1979) (3.182 million albums)
Notable songs: Don't Bring Me Down (#4), Shine A Little Love #8), Confusion (#37), Last Train To London (#39), The Diary Of Horace Wimp (didn't chart)

For those too young to remember, ELO was big in the 70s and early 80s, ending up with 20 Top 40 hits on the US singles chart. Jeff Lynne later moved on to The Traveling Wilburys (who oddly enough never had a Top 40 single).

#247 - STEVE MILLER BAND - Book Of Dreams (1977) (3.185 million albums)
Notable songs: Jet Airliner (#8), Swingtown (#17), Jungle Love (#23)

Steve Miller songs were all over the airwaves in the mid- to late 70's. His greatest hits album from that timeframe has sold over 15 million copies. Miller hasn't released any new studio material in 14 years, but that hasn't stopped him from touring almost every year since with a total of 1,700 shows across his career.

#244T - BOB DYLAN - Street-Legal (1978) (3.2 million albums)
Notable songs: Baby Stop Crying, Is Your Love In Vain?, Changing Of The Guards (all released as singles but didn't chart)

The album hit #11 on the Billboard album charts. Dylan has written some very popular songs, but I don't know any of the songs on this one.

#244T - BOB DYLAN - John Wesley Harding (1968) (3.2 million albums)
Notable songs: All Along The Watchtower (didn't chart), Title Track, I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine

Just like that, we get TWO Dylan albums. The JWH album has been included in Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums of all-time in the past (not sure if it's on the most recent list). I know some people will say this is folk and not rock, but it's in the rock universe.
Of this group, the Skynyrd album is by far my favorite. It's a weak crop for me.

This version of "Free Bird" got played WAY more on the AOR channels in my neck of the woods than the studio version did.

#243 - ELVIS PRESLEY - Elvis In Concert (1977) (3.204 million albums)
Notable songs: My Way (#22), America (didn't chart), Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, Don't Be Cruel, Can't Help Falling In Love

Released 6 weeks after The King's death, this one fits the bill of double live albums with inflated sales totals. The concert was also broadcast on CBS. The album hit #5 on the album charts and #1 on the country albums chart. Elvis had 22 Top 5 albums . . . the last coming in 2003. I'm guessing most people here aren't that into Presley, but he still falls in the rock category.

#242 - HEART - Little Queen (1977) (3.206 million albums)
Notable songs: Barracuda (#11), Little Queen (#62), Kick It Out (#79), Stairway To Heaven (2004 release)

The third best-selling Heart album behind 1985's self-titled album (5.8 million) and 1987's Bad Animals (3.8 million). Little Queen ranked 85th in Tim's countdown (with Dreamboat Annie coming in at #69). The Wilson sisters have been touring on their own and with their own versions of Heart the past view years, but the reunited band hits the road this summer for the first time in 8 years.

#240T - TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS - Damn The Torpedoes (1979) (3.215 million albums)
Notable songs: Don't Do Me Like That (#10), Refugee (#15), Here Comes My Girl (#59), Even The Losers, Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)

DTT is the 4th best-selling TP album after his Greatest Hits, Full Moon Fever, and Wildflowers. DTT ranked 32nd on Tim's countdown (Hard Promises was #64 and the first album was at #88). For someone that was around for decades and always a popular touring act, I'm surprised TP wasn't a bigger seller. The only time I saw him was in 1980 and only got more into him in recent years.

#240T - GENESIS - Foxtrot (1972) (3.215 million albums)
Notable songs: Watcher Of The Skies (didn't chart)

The 4th album released from Genesis, this one featuring Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks (before he switched to playing QB), Steve Hackett, Phil Collins, and Mike Rutherford. Fair warning: the sales totals for Genesis albums are crazy high. Early Genesis isn't exactly my thing, so anyone that prefers their earlier, progressive sound as opposed to their more mainstream sound with Phil Collins, please chime in.
For me, a tie between Squier, Heart, and Petty. The Elvis LP is better than it has any right to be, given the shape he was in at the time. Sorry again, Genesis.

#239 - NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE - Rust Never Sleeps (1979) (3.22 million albums)
Notable songs: Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black (#79), My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue), Powderfinger

This album is one that I suspect has some accounting errors. Of the sources I used, one of them barely had this album breaking a million in album sales . . . but another had it over 3 million (which seems to have been more current and appears to add in more digital and catalog sales). If I didn't explain earlier, I predominantly used two main databases to compile the list . . . and I went with the highest total. I like the two main songs that book end the album. The tracks in the middle I think are only ok.

#238 - NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969) (3.265 million albums)
Notable songs: Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River, Title Track

Our second double shot of the same artist. This was #42 on Tim's countdown and a regular selection in the Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums. I've always enjoyed CSNY more than Neil on his own (but have always liked Rockin' In The Free World). Probably more than other artists, I like his popular songs but his deeper tracks never grew on me.

#236T - PAUL SIMON - Still Crazy After All These Years (1975) (3.27 million albums)
Notable songs: 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (#1), My Little Town (with Art Garfunkel (#9), Gone At Last (#23), Title Track (#40), Slip Slidin' Away (Demo)

IMO, Simon is one of the greatest American song writers and penned some of the best songs of his era / genre. I saw him perform on his Graceland and Rhythm Of The Saints tours and both shows were fantastic. Yes, I'm old and like old people music. What's your point?

#236T - ELTON JOHN - Madman Across The Water (1971) (3.27 million albums)
Notable songs: Levon (#24), Tiny Dance (#41), Indian Sunset, Holiday Inn

The first of many Elton albums. He was a money-making machine in the 70's. He had 24 Top 40 hits in the decade to go along with 6 #1 albums IN A ROW across THREE YEARS (with a #1 greatest hits album thrown in for good measure). Tim had this one at #84. The 50th anniversary deluxe edition extended the single disc album to 3 CDs.

#235 - ELTON JOHN - Honky Chateau (1972) (3.28 million albums)
Notable songs: Rocket Man (#6), Honky Cat (#8), Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters

And ANOTHER back-to-back album from the same artist. IMO, the stronger of the two Elton albums listed here. My older siblings loved Elton, and I remember hearing him in our house all the time. My brother attended the show at MSG in 1974 when John Lennon played a few songs (his last live performance).
Elton x 2, then Neil x 2, then poor little Paul in a distant 5th place.

Neil's just a little more hit-and-miss for me than Elton, though I think these are two of his three best.

Notable songs: Say Goodbye To Hollywood (#17), She's Got A Way (#23), You're My Home (didn't chart), Miami 2017, Summer Highland Falls, Captain Jack, Ballad Of Billy The Kid

Joel's first live album with a number of his earlier tracks before he hit the big time. There will be a lot of Billy albums on the list, so be prepared for as much Joel as in The Boys series. A little more soulful and less poppy than his later material.

#232 - BLACK SABBATH - Heaven And Hell (1980) (3.44 million albums)
Notable songs: Neon Knights, Die Young. Title Track, Lady Evil, Children Of The Sea

The first Sabbath album with Ronnie James Dio. My knowledge and interest in BS was mostly their early albums. I vaguely remember the title track and Neon Knights. Dio was born in my home state (New Hampshire).

#231 - DAVID BOWIE - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980) (3.45 million albums)
Notable songs: Fashion (#70), Ashes To Ashes, Title Track, Up The Hill Backwards (All Top 40 in the UK)

Probably my second favorite Bowie album after ZS. I've always been a fan of Robert Fripp's guitar playing dating back to his King Crimson days. As I have mentioned many times, Bowie is an acquired taste, and I can see why a lot of people aren't into him.

Sabbath by a mile, and I'm not even a huge fan. There's a 3-way tie for 2nd, then a million other blank places, then Billy Joel.

This is a solid collection of his early songs performed live with his band (as opposed to playing with studio musicians as they were recorded on their original album). Surprised it didn't do a bit better, although as mentioned Billy Joel is going to do pretty well on this list.

Wonder if the album sales might have done better if side 2 was flipped to side 1.

Side 2:

1."Say Goodbye to Hollywood"July 14, 1980, at Milwaukee Arena, Milwaukee, WI4:25
2."Captain Jack"July 5, 1980, at Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA7:16
3."You're My Home"July 23, 1980, at the Bayou, Washington, D.C.3:07
4."The Ballad of Billy the Kid"June 24, 1980, at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY5:28
5."I've Loved These Days"July 16, 1980, at The Horizon, Chicago, IL4:35

2112 was Rush's fourth album and outsold the first three combined within a few months of its release. After the third album, the label had told them they would be dropped if their fourth did not sell better. Instead of trying to make their sound trendier, the band decided that if it was going to go out, they would do so on their own terms, and made the metal/prog/hard rock fusion album they always wanted to. And it resonated with the rock audience immediately, raising their profile. Many of the sales did come later after new fans came aboard due to popular albums such as Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals, as said fans learned soon enough of the reputation of 2112 and wanted to check it out.

Significant radio play wouldn't come until a year later with "Closer to the Heart" from the fifth album, A Farewell to Kings.
Came in to say pretty much the same thing about 2112. They were toast if 2112 didn't splash like it did - and maybe they would have been toast if they followed the label's demands. I agree that 2112 probably sold much more subsequently, during that great run up to and through Moving Pictures.

This, 100%. The album went gold pretty quickly in 1977 but took until 1981 to go platinum and until 1993 to go 2x platinum, so people definitely also picked it up later.

If someone were interested in 2112 for the first time, Overture and The Temples of Syrinx is a good sampling that won't take too long lol (around 7 minutes total). They are the first two songs in the title suite.

Here is a live performance of those songs from a little later on in their career:

Would make a great holiday gift
That's a collector's item. Can't believe it's so cheap.

Here is a live performance of those songs from a little later on in their career:

That Rio crowd might be one of the best audiences in history.

Loved when they "sung" along to YYZ:

#229 - AEROSMITH - Aerosmith (1973) (3.54 million)
Notable songs: Dream On (#59 . . . #6 when re-released), Mama Kin, Walkin' The Dog, Somebody

Note to self: Look up how many debut albums made the list. Dream On took Steven Tyler 4 years to write and develop. He began working on the song when he still went by Steven Tallarico after he left the band Chain Reaction. I believe they released two singles and were a band for 4-5 years. Aerosmith fared much better.

#228 - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle (1973) (3.55 million)
Notable songs: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy), Incident On 57th Street, The E Street Shuffle

Another album from 1973 . . . Bruce's 2nd release. It ranked #345 in Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums in 2020. Springsteen brought back Kitty's Back and The E Street Shuffle for his 2023 tour. Another artist that I got more familiarized with later in his career (when he was uber popular). Tim had it at #47.

#227 - DEEP PURPLE - Fireball (1971) (3.56 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, The Mule, Strange Kind Of Woman (some releases)

The album before Machine Head, so I am guessing the popularity of that album gave this album a big boost. Not sure how many Deep Purple fans lurk among us, but I am not that familiar with their catalog. This album had Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord, and Paice. I do like The Mule, but can't say I remember or have listen much to this one.

#223T - U2 - October (1981) (3.6 million albums)
Notable songs: Gloria, Fire, Title Track, I Fall Down, Rejoice

The album before they hit it big. I remember playing it as a DJ in high school when they were new and different. Once War came out, they were too popular for us to play (we were going for more obscure / alternative artists). October finds the band in high energy without the same level of production on their later albums. The sound is rawer and less processed.

#223T - PINK FLOYD - Obscured By Clouds (1972) (3.6 million albums)
Notable songs: Free Four, Title Track, When You're In, What's Uh The Deal, The Gold It's In The

Speaking of albums before a band hit the big time, OBC was the soundtrack to the film La Vallee and was recorded on a limited budget. The band recorded it in the middle of touring and while recording DSOTM. The casual Floyd fan likely won't know much from this album, but it is a building block from some of their earlier psychedelic work to their more accessible, mainstream albums. Definitely an album I have enjoyed when I got older (but wouldn't really touch when I was younger). It was the first Floyd album to crack the Top 50 albums in the U.S.

Last edited:
This is a solid collection of his early songs performed live with his band (as opposed to playing with studio musicians as they were recorded on their original album). Surprised it didn't do a bit better, although as mentioned Billy Joel is going to do pretty well on this list
Don’t feel bad for Billy Joel. His double-disc greatest hits collection probably cannibalized a bunch of studio album sales — and itself is going to appear very, very late in this exercise.

(No thanks to Uruk-Hai :wink:)

This is a solid collection of his early songs performed live with his band (as opposed to playing with studio musicians as they were recorded on their original album). Surprised it didn't do a bit better, although as mentioned Billy Joel is going to do pretty well on this list
Don’t feel bad for Billy Joel. His double-disc greatest hits collection probably cannibalized a bunch of studio album sales — and itself is going to appear very, very late in this exercise.

(No thanks to Uruk-Hai :wink:)
No greatest hits albums. And even if they were eligible, Joel’s came out several years past the date range under consideration.

Notable songs: Dream On (#59 . . . #6 when re-released), Mama Kin, Walkin' The Dog, Somebody

Note to self: Look up how many debut albums made the list. Dream On took Steven Tyler 4 years to write and develop. He began working on the song when he still went by Steven Tallarico after he left the band Chain Reaction. I believe they released two singles and were a band for 4-5 years. Aerosmith fared much better.

#228 - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle (1973) (3.55 million)
Notable songs: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy), Incident On 57th Street, The E Street Shuffle

Another album from 1973 . . . Bruce's 2nd release. It ranked #345 in Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums in 2020. Springsteen brought back Kitty's Back and The E Street Shuffle for his 2023 tour. Another artist that I got more familiarized with later in his career (when he was uber popular). Tim had it at #47.

The album before Machine Head, so I am guessing the popularity of that album gave this album a big boost. Not sure how many Deep Purple fans lurk among us, but I am not that familiar with their catalog. This album had Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord, and Paice. I do like The Mule, but can't say I remember or have listen much to this one.

The album before they hit it big. I remember playing it as a DJ in high school when they were new and different. Once War came out, they were too popular for us to play (we were going for more obscure / alternate artists). October finds the band in high energy without the same level of production on their later albums. The sound is rawer and less processed.

Notable songs: Free Four, Title Track, When You're In, What's Uh The Deal, The Gold It's In The

Speaking of albums before a band hit the big time, OBC was the soundtrack to the film La Vallee and was recorded on a limited budget. The band recorded it in the middle of touring and while recording DSOTM. The casual Floyd fan likely won't know much from this album, but it is a building block from some of their earlier psychedelic work to their more accessible, mainstream albums. Definitely an album I have enjoyed when I got older (but wouldn't really touch when I was younger). It was the first Floyd album to crack the Top 50 albums in the U.S.
Huge Deep Purple fan. Obviously Machine Head was the big album, but the production sucked. The critics really liked Fireball, helps that it had their best lineup.

The album before they hit it big. I remember playing it as a DJ in high school when they were new and different. Once War came out, they were too popular for us to play (we were going for more obscure / alternate artists). October finds the band in high energy without the same level of production on their later albums. The sound is rawer and less processed.

Undoubtedly more examples of albums that really picked up momentum many years Iater, after the band became extremely popular. If the data were available, it would be really interesting to see the trend of album sales for many of these by year.

I first remember learning about October during the early MTV days when the "Gloria" video got a lot of airplay. Thought they had a really cool sound and really liked them through War, but that was my peak interest with them.

Purple's #1 for me in this group, followed by Aerosmith. I don't dislike the remaining three, but have to be in the mood for them and a little of each goes a long way with me.

The Mule is probably more known from Purple's landmark Made In Japan live album that followed Machine Head, with Ian Paice going beast mode on the drum kit (including a 6+ minute solo):

Last edited:

The Mule is probably more known from Purple's landmark Made In Japan live album that followed Machine Head, with Ian Paice going beast mode on the drum kit (including a 6+ minute solo):

Paice is also outstanding on Fireball's title track.

One of the best, and underappreciated, drummers in rock history.

#223T - BOB DYLAN - Slow Train Coming (1979) (3.6 million albums)
Notable songs: Gotta Serve Somebody (#24), Precious Angel, Man Gave Names To All The Animals, Slow Train, When He Returns

Zimmerman got shut out on Tim's thread but already has three appearances here. I know the top tier of Dylan songs, and some secondary songs. I would not pretend to have a deep knowledge of his expansive catalog. Yet I somehow ended up at probably his most famous show, a 50-song, 5-hour show at a club in New Haven in 1990. The only song from STC he played that night was I Believe In You.

#223T - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE - Not Fragile (1974) (3.6 million albums)
Notable songs: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (#1), Roll On Down The Highway (#14). Title Track

YASNY was the band's biggest hit. I was more a fan of Takin' Care Of Business from BTO2 (which ranked #100 on Tim's list), which also had Let It Ride on it. I always preferred The Guess Who of Bachman's bands.

#222 - CHEAP TRICK - At Budokan (1979) (3.636 million albums)
Notable songs: I Want You To Want Me (#7), Ain't That A Shame (#35), Surrender, I Need Your Love

Cheap Trick was one of the earliest concerts I ever went to (at an amusement park when I was a kid). Saw them many times afterwards. Also the only band on the countdown I can stake a claim to having performed with. Back when I was in college, we held some concerts at our school, and I was on the set up and breakdown crew. I was there getting everything ready to go and on the drum kit getting levels / the mix right at the time when the band wanted to do a soundcheck. Except I didn't know it. I started playing the drum into to Ain't That A Shame, and suddenly Rick Nielsen started playing the chords at the beginning of the song and Robin Zander started singing the words. Drummer Bun E. Carlos was right next to me and told me to keep going. Finished the song and handed him the sticks. He joked maybe he could take the night off. I countered that I didn't smoke. Wished they had cell phones back then.

#221 - THE BEATLES - Hey Jude (1970) (3.637 million albums)
Notable songs: Hey Jude (#1), Lady Madonna (#4), Ballad Of John & Yoko (#8), Revolution (#12), Don't Let Me Down (#35), Old Brown Shoe

I struggled with what to do with this one. The album was also known as The Beatles Again and was released in the U.S., featuring songs that had not appeared on an album in the U.S. market before. The content on Beatles albums varied on UK and US versions. I believe the two Past Masters CDs incorporated all the leftover songs that were not part of albums, making this album mostly an afterthought. It finally was released on CD in 2014.

#220 - DAVID BOWIE - Diamond Dogs (1974) (3.65 million albums)
Notable songs: Rebel Rebel (#64), Title Track, 1984, Rock & Roll With Me

I suspect that Bowie got a lot of catalog sales having been around for years (and with new generations discovering his music). I remember when he died all his albums suddenly sold again after being formant for years. Bowie's calling card was evolving and changing personas and song styles. As mentioned before, a lot of people will say he's not for them.

The album before they hit it big. I remember playing it as a DJ in high school when they were new and different. Once War came out, they were too popular for us to play (we were going for more obscure / alternate artists). October finds the band in high energy without the same level of production on their later albums. The sound is rawer and less processed
Agree 100% that October has a more raw sound then later releases. I picked up October after getting War, which I got when it first came out, but before The Unforgettable Fire came out. As an Irish kid from New York City, I was into U2 early and often. I'll still go back and listen to October in its entirety around once a month or so.

Before The Joshua Tree, in my circles U2 was being taken in by the new wave kids, alongside bands like The Cure, Howard Jones, Depeche Mode. I was more in the Led Zeppelin, Rush, Van Halen type crowd. But I was all in on U2 early.

Notable songs: I Want You To Want Me (#7), Ain't That A Shame (#35), Surrender, I Need Your Love

Cheap Trick was one of the earliest concerts I ever went to (at an amusement park when I was a kid). Saw them many times afterwards. Also the only band on the countdown I can stake a claim to having performed with. Back when I was in college, we held some concerts at our school, and I was on the set up and breakdown crew. I was there getting everything ready to go and on the drum kit getting levels / the mix right at the time when the band wanted to do a soundcheck. Except I didn't know it. I started playing the drum into to Ain't That A Shame, and suddenly Rick Nielsen started playing the chords at the beginning of the song and Robin Zander started singing the words. Drummer Bun E. Carlos was right next to me and told me to keep going. Finished the song and handed him the sticks. He joked maybe he could take the night off. I countered that I didn't smoke. Wished they had cell phones back then.
That's a great story. 👍

Notable songs: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (#1), Roll On Down The Highway (#14). Title Track

YASNY was the band's biggest hit. I was more a fan of Takin' Care Of Business from BTO2 (which ranked #100 on Tim's list), which also had Let It Ride on it. I always preferred The Guess Who of Bachman's bands.

Agree about Guess Who. That's an awesome story. Cheap Trick wins this group for me. Timeless album for IMO.

Notable songs: Gotta Serve Somebody (#24), Precious Angel, Man Gave Names To All The Animals, Slow Train, When He Returns

Zimmerman got shut out on Tim's thread but already has three appearances here. I know the top tier of Dylan songs, and some secondary songs. I would not pretend to have a deep knowledge of his expansive catalog. Yet I somehow ended up at probably his most famous show, a 50-song, 5-hour show at a club in New Haven in 1990. The only song from STC he played that night was I Believe In You.

Notable songs: Hey Jude (#1), Lady Madonna (#4), Ballad Of John & Yoko (#8), Revolution (#12), Don't Let Me Down (#35), Old Brown Shoe

I struggled with what to do with this one. The album was also known as The Beatles Again and was released in the U.S., featuring songs that had not appeared on an album in the U.S. market before. The content on Beatles albums varied on UK and US versions. I believe the two Past Masters CDs incorporated all the leftover songs that were not part of albums, making this album mostly an afterthought. It finally was released on CD in 2014.

I suspect that Bowie got a lot of catalog sales having been around for years (and with new generations discovering his music). I remember when he died all his albums suddenly sold again after being formant for years. Bowie's calling card was evolving and changing personas and song styles. As mentioned before, a lot of people will say he's not for them.
Dylan's LP is the worst on the list, but I love "Gotta Serve Somebody" (though I like a bunch of its covers better).

Outside of that album, this is a pretty good rack.

"Not Fragile" - I wore out at least two copies of the vinyl and one 8-track of this one. So, I'm responsible for 5 units of the 3.6 million sold. I was 12 years old when it hit - the perfect audience for them. The title track is my favorite.

"Hey Jude" is a cheat code. Once the Beatles' albums got canonized in their British configurations in the '80s and - as Yudkin noted - Past Masters put a bow on everything else, it made owning these LPs a waste. Until recently, as many Anglophiles decided they want the American versions of the Fab albums (I'm guessing Paul didn't mind). This record has the most great songs in this group.

I was in High School when "At Budokan" hit and it was everywhere. A true phenomenon.

I like "Diamond Dogs" better than "Ziggy".

1. "Not Fragile"
2. "Hey Jude" (docked for not playing fair)
3. "Budokan"
4. "Diamond Dogs"
5. "Slow Train.........."

Dylan's LP is the worst on the list, but I love "Gotta Serve Somebody" (though I like a bunch of its covers better).
I was too young to experience the hardcore Dylan fans' initial reaction to him putting out an album of born-again Christian music. But it must have sent them into a tizzy. I think Slow Train and Gotta Serve Somebody are good songs. I haven't heard the rest and don't really care to. I remember reading that Dylan hired big names like Mark Knopfler to back him, and wanted the sound to be as mainstream/trendy as possible, so that his message would reach as wide an audience as possible.

Two more albums of this, and then *poof* by 1983 he was back to being Bob Dylan.

#219 - GEORGE HARRISON - All Things Must Pass (1970) (3.66 million albums)
Notable tracks: My Sweet Lord (#1), What Is Life (#10), Isn't It A Pity, If Not For You, Beware Of Darkness, Title Track, Wah-Wah

Included in the most recent Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums. Tim had it at #33. It makes you wonder how things could have panned out if The Beatles evolved into a songwriting trio (and actually looked at George as an equal). I don't think it will be considered much of a hot take, but for my money the best of the Beatles solo albums.

#217T - U2 - Boy (1980) (3.7 million albums)
Notable tracks: I Will Follow, Out Of Control, The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart

It says a lot when I am describing an album from 44 years ago, while in the U2 thread, people are describing the shows they just saw in Las Vegas. The band has yet to play anything from this album in their LV residency (31 shows as of last night). They were all 18-20 years old when they recorded the Boy album.

#217T - ROLLING STONES - It's Only Rock 'N Roll (1974) (3.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#16), Ain't Too Proud To Beg (#17), Dance Little Sister, If You Can't Rock Me, Time Waits For No One

The first of many from The Stones and the last of the 6 albums Mick Taylor played on as a regular band member. I like a lot of the songs by The Stones, but I can't say I was ever someone to listen to entire albums by them very often. I think this album is a solid effort, but coming off a slew of insanely great albums, IMO, this one is only very good.

#216 - LINDA RONSTADT - Simple Dreams (1977) (3.72 million albums)
Notable songs: Blue Bayou (#3), It's So Easy (#5), Poor Poor Pitiful Me (#31), Tumbling Dice

Ronstadt had 21 Top 40 hits including a number of rock-oriented efforts in the 70s and early 80s before she went down the adult contemporary path. I was a fan back in the day and heard her a lot on AM radio (remember that?) Sheryl Crow reminds me of her. Due to health issues, Linda has had to retire and hasn't performed in almost 6 years.

#215 - ROD STEWART - Tonight I'm Yours (3.74 million albums)
Notable songs: Young Turks (#5), Title Track (#20), How Long (#49), Just Like A Woman, How Long

There was a lot of heated discussion about whether Rod was considered a classic rock artist or not. At various stages in his career, Stweart has wondered through rock, pop, disco, adult contemporary, even big band genres. As a young teen, I liked Young Turks a lot.

Picked him as my All-Star Band's drummer in a forever-ago FFA music draft (like around 2004-06). Can't remember if anyone in this thread used to do those ... @higgins is still around.

Notable tracks: My Sweet Lord (#1), What Is Life (#10), Isn't It A Pity, If Not For You, Beware Of Darkness, Title Track, Wah-Wah

Included in the most recent Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums. Tim had it at #33. It makes you wonder how things could have panned out if The Beatles evolved into a songwriting trio (and actually looked at George as an equal). I don't think it will be considered much of a hot take, but for my money the best of the Beatles solo albums.
The Get Back documentary crystalized that George had matched John and Paul as a songwriter but wasn't getting the proper recognition or exposure for it, and that because of that, George proposed that they alternate Beatles albums with solo albums, but the others rejected the idea.

Around the release of the documentary, it came out that during their final meetings before breaking up, there was a proposal on the table after Abbey Road to do an album with four John songs, four Paul songs (John and Paul would no longer be taking co-writing credits), four George songs and two Ringo songs. But at that point they couldn't stand to work with each other anymore and broke up.

This is far and away the best Beatles solo album, which makes total sense because it includes a lot of songs that George wrote during his time in the Beatles but couldn't get on Beatles records because John and Paul limited him to two songs per album. (And the title track, which the Beatles cut for Let It Be but Paul was dissatisfied with.)

Notable tracks: I Will Follow, Out Of Control, The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart

It says a lot when I am describing an album from 44 years ago, while in the U2 thread, people are describing the shows they just saw in Las Vegas. The band has yet to play anything from this album in their LV residency (31 shows as of last night). They were all 18-20 years old when they recorded the Boy album.

Notable songs: Title Track (#16), Ain't Too Proud To Beg (#17), Dance Little Sister, If You Can't Rock Me, Time Waits For No One

The first of many from The Stones and the last of the 6 albums Mick Taylor played on as a regular band member. I like a lot of the songs by The Stones, but I can't say I was ever someone to listen to entire albums by them very often. I think this album is a solid effort, but coming off a slew of insanely great albums, IMO, this one is only very good.

Notable songs: Blue Bayou (#3), It's So Easy (#5), Poor Poor Pitiful Me (#31), Tumbling Dice

Ronstadt had 21 Top 40 hits including a number of rock-oriented efforts in the 70s and early 80s before she went down the adult contemporary path. I was a fan back in the day and heard her a lot on AM radio (remember that?) Sheryl Crow reminds me of her. Due to health issues, Linda has had to retire and hasn't performed in almost 6 years.

Notable songs: Young Turks (#5), Title Track (#20), How Long (#49), Just Like A Woman, How Long

There was a lot of heated discussion about whether Rod was considered a classic rock artist or not. At various stages in his career, Stweart has wondered through rock, pop, disco, adult contemporary, even big band genres. As a young teen, I liked Young Turks a lot.
Nice grouping here. Linda 😍 and I agree with Tim's comments regarding Stewart. He "was until he wasn't."

#213T - GENESIS - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974) (3.76 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, The Carpet Crawlers, In The Cage

Already our third entry from Genesis (with more to follow). I like the band without Peter Gabriel, and I like Peter Gabriel without Genesis. So the breakup worked out as far as I'm concerned. About once every 10 years or so I'll blow the dust off and play this one. But certainly not in heavy rotation for me.

#213T - ELTON JOHN - Caribou (1974) (3.76 million albums)
Notable songs: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (#2), The B.i.t.c.h Is Back (#4), Step Into Christmas (re-release), Pinball Wizard (re-release)

And our third album from Elton. Not my favorite Elton album (and one of the 70s ones that I never got around to owning). IMO, not a lot past the two big hits. I can give him a pass, as this was essentially his third new album recorded in a year.

#212 - JOURNEY - Evolution (1979) (3.77 million albums)
Notable songs: Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (#16), Just The Same Way (#58), Too Late (#70), City Of The Angels

Journey first started getting traction and airplay with their previous album Infinity (when they added Steve Perry). They would be FM radio and touring staples for almost 10 years from the time Infinity was released.

#210T - EAGLES - Desperado (1973) (3.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Outlaw Man (#59), Tequila Sunrise (#64), Title Track, Doolin-Dalton

The second Eagles album. I remember hearing Desperado (the song) on the radio a ton back in the day and was surprised that it was never released as a single (and made Rolling Stones' Greatest 500 songs of all time). It's been the band's second most played song (after Hotel California). I always liked Linda Ronstadt's version#210T - EAGLES - Desperado (1973) (3.8 million albums) as well.

#210T - BOB DYLAN - Nashville Skyline (1969) (3.8 million)
Notable songs: Lay Lady Lay (#7), Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With Me (#50), I Threw It All Away (#85), Girl From The North Country, To Be Alone With You

And the 4th album from Bob Dylan. He's hit or miss with me, and his folky sound often is a little too mellow for my liking. This album was his 5th Top 10 album in a row. He would go on to have 24 Top 10 albums, which seems like a crazy high total to me.

I much prefer the first two Eagles albums to the others. I love Outlaw Man and am surprised it never gets any radio play despite being a single. It’s the hardest they ever rocked without Joe Walsh.

Picked him as my All-Star Band's drummer in a forever-ago FFA music draft (like around 2004-06). Can't remember if anyone in this thread used to do those ... @higgins is still around.
I know I was a part of one of these "make your own band" drafts but I have zero idea how long ago it was -- was there more than one of those? I do remember that my front man was David Bowie so I named my band Bowie's Knife.

I also remember timmy's great Rock & Roll draft where we also had to draft individual musicians, etc.. I happen to still have a have a snippet of convo between myself and a certain drummer-judge expressing that it was about time someone made my pick (Colaiuta). ;)

George laps the field in this grouping. The rest are all fine and have their moments.

I can't recall if Stewart was still getting AOR play when this album came out. AOR was a rotting carcass by this time and had resorted to playing stuff like "Allentown", so maybe "Young Turks" got a spin or two.

#213T - GENESIS - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974) (3.76 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, The Carpet Crawlers, In The Cage

Already our third entry from Genesis (with more to follow). I like the band without Peter Gabriel, and I like Peter Gabriel without Genesis. So the breakup worked out as far as I'm concerned. About once every 10 years or so I'll blow the dust off and play this one. But certainly not in heavy rotation for me.

#213T - ELTON JOHN - Caribou (1974) (3.76 million albums)
Notable songs: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (#2), The B.i.t.c.h Is Back (#4), Step Into Christmas (re-release), Pinball Wizard (re-release)

And our third album from Elton. Not my favorite Elton album (and one of the 70s ones that I never got around to owning). IMO, not a lot past the two big hits. I can give him a pass, as this was essentially his third new album recorded in a year.

#212 - JOURNEY - Evolution (1979) (3.77 million albums)
Notable songs: Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (#16), Just The Same Way (#58), Too Late (#70), City Of The Angels

Journey first started getting traction and airplay with their previous album Infinity (when they added Steve Perry). They would be FM radio and touring staples for almost 10 years from the time Infinity was released.

#210T - EAGLES - Desperado (1973) (3.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Outlaw Man (#59), Tequila Sunrise (#64), Title Track, Doolin-Dalton

The second Eagles album. I remember hearing Desperado (the song) on the radio a ton back in the day and was surprised that it was never released as a single (and made Rolling Stones' Greatest 500 songs of all time). It's been the band's second most played song (after Hotel California). I always liked Linda Ronstadt's version#210T - EAGLES - Desperado (1973) (3.8 million albums) as well.

#210T - BOB DYLAN - Nashville Skyline (1969) (3.8 million)
Notable songs: Lay Lady Lay (#7), Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With Me (#50), I Threw It All Away (#85), Girl From The North Country, To Be Alone With You

And the 4th album from Bob Dylan. He's hit or miss with me, and his folky sound often is a little too mellow for my liking. This album was his 5th Top 10 album in a row. He would go on to have 24 Top 10 albums, which seems like a crazy high total to me.
Don't tell anyone, but Eagles win this one for me. It's their 2nd best LP, IMO. I expect my #1 is still to come.

I think "Skyline" is my favorite Dylan album. I like most of the songs and he does the best singing of his career on it (I think he had quit smoking before cutting it).

Prime Journey has zero bad songs. By that, I mean everything they released was at least well-done. Boston was like this, too, though they were a lot less prolific.

Elton was careening towards serious career and personal burnout with this one, but it's still a good record. "The ***** Is Back" is a better Stones song than what the Stones themselves were doing around the same time.

Not crazy about the Gabriel version of Genesis. The title track here probably gets the most airplay nowadays of all of the Gabriel era.

As mentioned upthread, give me the first three U2 albums all day when their sound was so much rawer. An Cat Dubh is one of their very best tunes IMO.

I can't recall if Stewart was still getting AOR play when this album came out. AOR was a rotting carcass by this time and had resorted to playing stuff like "Allentown", so maybe "Young Turks" got a spin or two.
When I was listening to the radio back then, it was mainly Top 40, so don't recall if Rod got a lot of AOR airplay at that point - he seemed to be more known for the likes of "Passion" and "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" . MTV definitely gave him a renewed boost with the videos for "Young Turks" and, to a lesser extent, the title track.

Users who are viewing this thread