What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (2 Viewers)

#195T - LOVERBOY - Loverboy (1980) (4 million albums)
Notable songs: Turn Me Loose (#35), The Kid Is Hot Tonite (#55), Lady Of The 80s, D.O.A.

Another debut album. I was big into Loverboy for a few years when they came out. Can't really defend that. Hey, we all have issues. I loved, loved, loved me some Turn Me Loose. Something about the opening guitar chords hit me just the right way. I remember riding around with them on the radio (I was too young to drive back then).

Paul Dean was an excellent guitarist and Turn Me Loose has incredible riffage. No shame in that. I am surprised to see this sold 4 million (which likely means Get Lucky sold even more), but I bet the Canadians helped out a lot with that.
They were a good band. Kinda Journey-lite, eh?
Kind of. But they had their Steve Perry from the start.
I don’t think Mike Reno had anywhere near the charisma of Perry, but he had decent pipes as well. I think it was more the image of Reno with that kind of ridiculous red outfit/red headband look.

#195T - KISS - Love Gun (1977) (4 million albums)
Notable songs: Christine Sixteen (#25), Title Track (#61), Then She Kissed Me, Shock Me

Kiss' album from the 70's that peaked at the highest chart position on the album charts (#4). Somehow, they had three albums released from 1998 to 2012 that landed in the Top 3. Kiss was never my thing, and I can't remember there being many Kiss fans on the boards.

#194 - THE CARS - Candy-o (1979) (4.007 million albums)
Notable songs: Let's Go (#14), It's All I Can Do (#41), Double Life, Title Track, Dangerous Type

I always enjoyed The Cars. They weren't the deepest band in terms of content, lyrics, or song structure. But I got into their poppy sound.

#193 - GENESIS - A Trick Of The Tail (4.01 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, Ripples, Entangled, Squonk, Los Endos

The fourth Genesis album on the list so far. I would never of thought they would have so many alums here. We will get through them all eventually.

#192 - THE WHO - Who's Next (1971) (4.02 million albums)
Notable songs: Won't Get Fooled Again (#15), Behind Blue Eyes (#34), Baba O'Riley, Bargain, Love Ain't For Keeping, The Song Is Over, My Wife, Going Mobile

I can't believe this one ranks so low and didn't sell better. My favorite Who album. Pretty much the entire record got air play. #4 on Tim's countdown and in the Top 30 of Rolling Stones' Top 500 albums. The masses were wrong on this one. The Super Deluxe edition contains 110 tracks.

#190T - VAN HALEN - Fair Warning (4.03 million albums)
Notable songs: So This Is Love? (#110), Mean Street, Unchained, Push Comes To Shove),

The only studio VH album not to produce a single that cracked the Hot 100. Still rocks today. Could listen to Mean Street on repeat at least 50 times. RIP EVH.
I only knew of Fair Warning because MTV played live videos for So This Is Love and Unchained. My radio stations rarely ever played anything from it.

It blows my mind that A Trick of the Tail, which most hardcore Genesis fans I know think is underrated, has sold about the same as Who’s Next, one of the most acclaimed albums of all time. We are certainly seeing the Gabriel/Collins/Invisible Touch effect here. And Who’s Next will have lower numbers than Tommy and Quadrophenia because it’s not a double.

I think the low-ish Who’s Next ranking is the most surprising so far. Seems like just about everyone owns it, but maybe it’s more the case that everyone knows it and not necessarily an owner of it.

You want me to come alive
Take a trip into overdrive
You and me can let it be
Ready
Aim
Fire
Touch that dial all the way
Shoot me like a rocket into space
Lovin' every minute of it!

I don't think it's off of that album, but it's arguably Loverboy's biggest hit in the States.

#190T - BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973) (4.03 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, Sabbra Cadabra, Killing Yourself To Live, Who Are You?

Our second helping from Sabbath. This album must not have gotten much airplay, because I don't remember the songs on it. I remember the title track, but that's about it.

#189 - BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1968) (4.031 million albums)
Notable songs: You've Made Me So Very Happy (#2), Spinning Wheel (#2), And When I Die (#2), Smiling Phases, God Bless The Child

An album that produced a trifecta of #2 songs. The band did not have a Top 10 song before or after. They released 11 studio albums, the last dropping in 1980. Blood, Sweat & Tears following Sabbath on the radio has happened exactly zero times. I'm guessing the horn section was a big influence on Chicago.

#188 - DEEP PURPLE - Burn (1974) (4.06 million albums)
Notable songs: Might Just Take Your Life (#91), Title Track (#105), Mistreated

I vaguely remember the two singles, but by the time I got more into harder / edgier rock, this album had come and went. I have Machine Head and Perfect Strangers in my collection. That's about it for me (other than Hush).

#184T - THE ROLLING STONES - Black And Blue (1973) (4.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Fool To Cry (#10), Hot Stuff (#49), Memory Motel, Fool To Cry, Hey Negrita

IMO, the Stones have so many other better albums. I guess there are some decent tracks on this one, but if I am going to play Mick and the boys, I wouldn't grab this album (or the individual songs from it). I like Memory Motel the best out of the 8 songs.

#184T - KANSAS - Point Of No Return (1977) (4.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Dust In The Wind (#6), Title Track (#28), Portrait (He Knew) (#64)

One of the two big albums from Kansas in the mid-70s. Younger me really liked Dust In The Wind. Cynical, older me would be happy to not hear it again. Much prefer the title track these days. Tim had this one at #77.

#189 - BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1968) (4.031 million albums)
Notable songs: You've Made Me So Very Happy (#2), Spinning Wheel (#2), And When I Die (#2), Smiling Phases, God Bless The Child

An album that produced a trifecta of #2 songs. The band did not have a Top 10 song before or after
What goes up, must come down.

I vaguely remember the two singles, but by the time I got more into harder / edgier rock, this album had come and went. I have Machine Head and Perfect Strangers in my collection. That's about it for me (other than Hush).
This was the origination of the Mark III lineup, with David Coverdale replacing Ian Gillan (who quit) and Glenn Hughes replacing Roger Glover (who was fired by Blackmore). I liked this Purple version quite a bit - had a harder, edgier sound and Hughes brought more to the table as a great bass player and singer.

Great live performance of the title track at the California Jam Festival in 1974, probably not too long after the album came out.

#195T - KISS - Love Gun (1977) (4 million albums)
Notable songs: Christine Sixteen (#25), Title Track (#61), Then She Kissed Me, Shock Me

Kiss' album from the 70's that peaked at the highest chart position on the album charts (#4). Somehow, they had three albums released from 1998 to 2012 that landed in the Top 3. Kiss was never my thing, and I can't remember there being many Kiss fans on the boards.

#194 - THE CARS - Candy-o (1979) (4.007 million albums)
Notable songs: Let's Go (#14), It's All I Can Do (#41), Double Life, Title Track, Dangerous Type

I always enjoyed The Cars. They weren't the deepest band in terms of content, lyrics, or song structure. But I got into their poppy sound.

#193 - GENESIS - A Trick Of The Tail (4.01 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track, Ripples, Entangled, Squonk, Los Endos

The fourth Genesis album on the list so far. I would never of thought they would have so many alums here. We will get through them all eventually.

Notable songs: Won't Get Fooled Again (#15), Behind Blue Eyes (#34), Baba O'Riley, Bargain, Love Ain't For Keeping, The Song Is Over, My Wife, Going Mobile

I can't believe this one ranks so low and didn't sell better. My favorite Who album. Pretty much the entire record got air play. #4 on Tim's countdown and in the Top 30 of Rolling Stones' Top 500 albums. The masses were wrong on this one. The Super Deluxe edition contains 110 tracks.

#190T - VAN HALEN - Fair Warning (4.03 million albums)
Notable songs: So This Is Love? (#110), Mean Street, Unchained, Push Comes To Shove),

The only studio VH album not to produce a single that cracked the Hot 100. Still rocks today. Could listen to Mean Street on repeat at least 50 times. RIP EVH.
If anyone's read my posts so far, you can probably guess where the Genesis album ranks for me.

For the good LPs, I'd go:
Cars
Who
KISS
VH

You and me can let it be
Ready
Aim
Fire

I don't think it's off of that album, but it's arguably Loverboy's biggest hit in the States.
That was indeed their highest placement on the Hot 100, at #9.

Notable songs: Title Track, Sabbra Cadabra, Killing Yourself To Live, Who Are You?

Our second helping from Sabbath. This album must not have gotten much airplay, because I don't remember the songs on it. I remember the title track, but that's about it.

An album that produced a trifecta of #2 songs. The band did not have a Top 10 song before or after. They released 11 studio albums, the last dropping in 1980. Blood, Sweat & Tears following Sabbath on the radio has happened exactly zero times. I'm guessing the horn section was a big influence on Chicago.

Notable songs: Fool To Cry (#10), Hot Stuff (#49), Memory Motel, Fool To Cry, Hey Negrita

IMO, the Stones have so many other better albums. I guess there are some decent tracks on this one, but if I am going to play Mick and the boys, I wouldn't grab this album (or the individual songs from it). I like Memory Motel the best out of the 8 songs.

Notable songs: Dust In The Wind (#6), Title Track (#28), Portrait (He Knew) (#64)

One of the two big albums from Kansas in the mid-70s. Younger me really liked Dust In The Wind. Cynical, older me would be happy to not hear it again. Much prefer the title track these days. Tim had this one at #77.
This is a good stack.

I'm going:
BS&T
the Purples
Stones
Kansas
Sabbath

Both the Stones & Sabbath LPs have some burnout feels to them, but they are still better than most anything else released at the time. Deep Purple's record isn't my favorite, but it still slams. The Kansas album is their best, IMO, and I still love "Dust In The Wind". The Blood, Sweat, & Tears record is a pop masterpiece.

Chicago and BST formed around the same time and in my research for my Chicago MAD countdown, I found nothing to indicate BST had anything to do with how the band developed its sound.

However, Chicago was managed and produced by James William Guercio. Guercio’s production of the self-titled BST album helped him sell Columbia Records on Chicago.

I’m surprised Burn has sold this many copies. My FM stations never played anything from it. But they didn’t play much Sabbath either, including nothing from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

I’m surprised Burn has sold this many copies. My FM stations never played anything from it. But they didn’t play much Sabbath either, including nothing from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
Burn caught the Machine Head wave in my neck of the woods and got some play. Deep Purple's next album got more airplay.

I remember the title track of Sabbath's LP getting a bunch of spins.

You and me can let it be
Ready
Aim
Fire

I object to the politics of those lyrics. “Ready aim fire” is so clearly a pro NRA sentiment.

#184T - KANSAS - Leftoverture (1976) (4.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Carry On Wayward Son (#11), What's On My Mind, Magnum Opus, The Wall

A double shot of Kansas, both of which seemingly sold the same exact number of copies. I own neither. But I have 3 friends that own both. I wonder if the same 4.1 million people bought both albums and no one else in the world only bought one. That's my conspiracy theory. COWS is the best opening to any rock song ever (according to the show Reacher). Tim had it at #95.

#184T - BOB SEGER - Nine Tonight (1981) (4.1 million copies)
Notable songs: Tryin' To Live My Life Without You (#5), Feel Like A Number (#48), Hollywood Nights, We've Got Tonight, Old Time Rock & Roll

Seger's second live album. I briefly had a period where I kinda liked big old Bob. But it didn't last long. I'll listen to him if he comes on, but I rarely search him out to listen to. This likely falls under the double live album effect we discussed earlier.

#183 - BLACK SABBATH - Vol. 4 (1972) (4.12 million copies)
Notable songs: Tomorrow's Dream, Changes, Supernaut, Wheels Of Confusion

The third appearance of Sabbath so far. This one was before my time and other well known songs were played on FM radio in my neck of the woods. Listened to a few tracks. Sounds pretty rocking.

#182 - VAN MORRISON - Moondance (1970) (4.13 million copies)
Notable songs: Come Running (#39), Title Track (#92 in 1977), Caravan, Into The Mystic

Morrison's best-selling album that wasn't a greatest hits compilation by a country mile. He's released 46 studio albums. Another artist that will never be played directly after Black Sabbath.

#181 - SANTANA - Moonflower (1977) (4.14 million albums)
Notable songs: She's Not There (#27), I'll Be Waiting, Black Magic Woman, Soul Sacrifice

Back-to-back albums with moon in the title. 8 studio songs paired with 8 live tracks. I love their version of She's Not There. Back in the day, that was one of my go to karaoke songs. Not quite the 25 million in album sales like Supernatural.

#184T - KANSAS - Leftoverture (1976) (4.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Carry On Wayward Son (#11), What's On My Mind, Magnum Opus, The Wall

A double shot of Kansas, both of which seemingly sold the same exact number of copies. I own neither. But I have 3 friends that own both. I wonder if the same 4.1 million people bought both albums and no one else in the world only bought one. That's my conspiracy theory. COWS is the best opening to any rock song ever (according to the show Reacher). Tim had it at #95.

#184T - BOB SEGER - Nine Tonight (1981) (4.1 million copies)
Notable songs: Tryin' To Live My Life Without You (#5), Feel Like A Number (#48), Hollywood Nights, We've Got Tonight, Old Time Rock & Roll

Seger's second live album. I briefly had a period where I kinda liked big old Bob. But it didn't last long. I'll listen to him if he comes on, but I rarely search him out to listen to. This likely falls under the double live album effect we discussed earlier.

The third appearance of Sabbath so far. This one was before my time and other well known songs were played on FM radio in my neck of the woods. Listened to a few tracks. Sounds pretty rocking.

#182 - VAN MORRISON - Moondance (1970) (4.13 million copies)
Notable songs: Come Running (#39), Title Track (#92 in 1977), Caravan, Into The Mystic

Morrison's best-selling album that wasn't a greatest hits compilation by a country mile. He's released 46 studio albums. Another artist that will never be played directly after Black Sabbath.

#181 - SANTANA - Moonflower (1977) (4.14 million albums)
Notable songs: She's Not There (#27), I'll Be Waiting, Black Magic Woman, Soul Sacrifice

Back-to-back albums with moon in the title. 8 studio songs paired with 8 live tracks. I love their version of She's Not There. Back in the day, that was one of my go to karaoke songs. Not quite the 25 million in album sales like Supernatural.
You were right. This is a dumb group. not ranking this bunch.

I think the low-ish Who’s Next ranking is the most surprising so far. Seems like just about everyone owns it, but maybe it’s more the case that everyone knows it and not necessarily an owner of it.
Who’s Next is triple platinum in the US (3,000,000+) and single platinum (300,000+) in the UK. Factoring in a reasonable guesstimate of more sales that won’t show until the next certifications are met … it’s clear that over 90% of Who’s Next’s album sales are from those two countries.

This is in sharp contrast to early Genesis, who sold a lot in continental Europe.

Such a great album. Supernaut, Snowblind and the criminally underrated Under the Sun.

This was their first coke album and you can tell.

#180 - IRON MAIDEN - Iron Maiden (1980) (4.17 million albums)
Notable songs: Running Free, Sanctuary

The debut album from Maiden. I defer to those that are into them, as they never were my thing. If pressed for me to name 5 songs from them, I'd take the under.

#178T - SANTANA - Caravanserai (1972) (4.2 million albums)
Notable songs: Song Of The Wind, Stone Flower

Back-to-back albums that I have never heard and know next to nothing about. I do know that Neil Schon and Gregg Rolie were both in Santana before they moved on to Journey.

#178T - THE BEATLES - Yellow Submarine (1969) (4.2 million albums)
Notable songs: Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, Only A Northern Song, Title Track, All You Need Is Love

A bit of a hodge podge, the soundtrack from the film. Side One has a few new Beatles tracks and the title track and All You Need Is Love (both already released). Side Two was an orchestral arrangement of music from the film. As Beatles albums go, far from the top of the list.

#177 - QUEEN - Sheer Heart Attack (1974) (4.24 million albums)
Notable songs: Killer Queen (#12), Now I'm Here, Brighton Rock, Stone Cold Crazy, In The Lap Of The Gods, Flick Of The Wrist

Queen always sold more in the rest of the world than in the States. They would explode with their next album. I always liked this version of Now I'm Here.

#176 - THE EAGLES - On The Border (1974) (4.27 million albums)
Notable songs: Best Of My Love (#1), Already Gone (#32), James Dean (#77), Title Track, Midnight Flyer, Ol' 55

Best Of My Love was the first of five #1 singles. IIRC, The Eagles are the best selling American band with 120 million total albums sold.

The debut album from Maiden. I defer to those that are into them, as they never were my thing. If pressed for me to name 5 songs from them, I'd take the under.

#178T - SANTANA - Caravanserai (1972) (4.2 million albums)
Notable songs: Song Of The Wind, Stone Flower

Back-to-back albums that I have never heard and know next to nothing about. I do know that Neil Schon and Gregg Rolie were both in Santana before they moved on to Journey.

#178T - THE BEATLES - Yellow Submarine (1969) (4.2 million albums)
Notable songs: Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, Only A Northern Song, Title Track, All You Need Is Love

A bit of a hodge podge, the soundtrack from the film. Side One has a few new Beatles tracks and the title track and All You Need Is Love (both already released). Side Two was an orchestral arrangement of music from the film. As Beatles albums go, far from the top of the list.

Notable songs: Killer Queen (#12), Now I'm Here, Brighton Rock, Stone Cold Crazy, In The Lap Of The Gods, Flick Of The Wrist

Queen always sold more in the rest of the world than in the States. They would explode with their next album. I always liked this version of Now I'm Here.

#176 - THE EAGLES - On The Border (1974) (4.27 million albums)
Notable songs: Best Of My Love (#1), Already Gone (#32), James Dean (#77), Title Track, Midnight Flyer, Ol' 55

Best Of My Love was the first of five #1 singles. IIRC, The Eagles are the best selling American band with 120 million total albums sold.
Caravanserai was the fourth Santana album and its sales mostly came from the momentum of the first three. The album had zero traditional commercial potential and Columbia execs were horrified when they heard what Carlos and co were cooking up. The record is mostly instrumental and draws heavily from jazz and Eastern music. It coincided with Carlos’ “spiritual awakening” and he became a disciple of a guru at this time. This was the last album for Rolie and Schon, who wanted to explore different territory and left to form Journey.

The title track of On the Border is one of my favorite Eagles songs, but the record began their transition into a blander band than what they had displayed on their first two albums. Their cover of Ol’ 55 went a long way toward getting national attention for its writer Tom Waits.

Maiden was a considerably different band for their first two albums, with Paul Di'Anno singing lead before Bruce Dickinson taking over for Number of the Beast. A much rawer sound, but still packed a mighty wallop. One of the songs not mentioned above is the self-titled "Iron Maiden". The video for this was the 10th video ever played on MTV, and also the first heavy metal one. Remember Tomorrow is probably my favorite track off the album (and a top favorite among their entire catalog).

That live version of Now I'm Here was the similar to the one used on Live Killers, which made me a huge fan of the band back in the day. The above mentioned Brighton Rock was also amazing on that live album.

Last edited:
#174T - STEVE MILLER BAND - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) (4.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Rock'n Me (#1), Title Track (#2), Take The Money And Run (#11), Serenade, You Send Me

Miller was a fixture on radio in the mid 70s. He started performing FLAE 3 years before this album came out. His Greatest Hits 74-78 album sold 17 million copies. I saw him once a million years ago, and it was a fun show.

#174T - LOVERBOY - Get Lucky (1981) (4.3 million albums)
Notable songs: When It's Over (#26), Working For The Weekend (#29), Jump (#101), Take Me To The Top, Lucky Ones

You knew this one was coming given that Loverboy had two big releases. I would have thought Weekend would have charted a lot higher. I heard that song like every 8 and a half minutes when it came out.

#173 - PAUL MCCARTNEY - McCartney (1970) (4.31 million albums)
Notable songs: Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, Teddy Boy, Hot As Sun

Paul didn't make many friends when he released his first solo effort before The Beatles released Let It Be. He alienated fans and took it on the chin for being the one to break up The Beatles. He refused to allow the label to release any singles (which seems like a sure fire way to give away free money).

#172 - JOURNEY - Infinity (1978) (4.42 million albums)
Notable songs: Wheel In The Sky (#57), Lights (#68), Anytime (#83), Feeling That Way

Journey's break through and first commercially successful album. Started a run of 7 straight platinum studio releases (with a platinum live album and a greatest hits package in that time as well).

#171 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Bayou Country (1969) (4.45 million albums)
Notable songs: Proud Mary (#2), Born On The Bayou, Good Golly, Miss Molly, Keep On Chooglin'

All 6 of the studio releases with John Fogerty were decent sellers, and all of them went platinum. I had a CCR phase in the mid-80s when Centerfield came out. Haven't listened to them / him in a long time.

That live version of Now I'm Here was the similar to the one used on Live Killers, which made me a huge fan of the band back in the day. The above mentioned Brighton Rock was also amazing on that live album.
I'm still disappointed how they mapped things out in the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. My kids all saw it and loved it (which was surprising). But they insist that Freddie told the band he had AIDS just before their Live Aid performance, which is why they played so inspired. When I point out that they added that narrative to the movie, I get lambasted that they wouldn't lie or make stuff up for a movie and, well, I'm clearly wrong.

I also can't believe how unappreciated this all time great was.

#174T - STEVE MILLER BAND - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) (4.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Rock'n Me (#1), Title Track (#2), Take The Money And Run (#11), Serenade, You Send Me

Miller was a fixture on radio in the mid 70s. He started performing FLAE 3 years before this album came out. His Greatest Hits 74-78 album sold 17 million copies. I saw him once a million years ago, and it was a fun show.

#174T - LOVERBOY - Get Lucky (1981) (4.3 million albums)
Notable songs: When It's Over (#26), Working For The Weekend (#29), Jump (#101), Take Me To The Top, Lucky Ones

You knew this one was coming given that Loverboy had two big releases. I would have thought Weekend would have charted a lot higher. I heard that song like every 8 and a half minutes when it came out.

#173 - PAUL MCCARTNEY - McCartney (1970) (4.31 million albums)
Notable songs: Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, Teddy Boy, Hot As Sun

Paul didn't make many friends when he released his first solo effort before The Beatles released Let It Be. He alienated fans and took it on the chin for being the one to break up The Beatles. He refused to allow the label to release any singles (which seems like a sure fire way to give away free money).

Notable songs: Wheel In The Sky (#57), Lights (#68), Anytime (#83), Feeling That Way

Journey's break through and first commercially successful album. Started a run of 7 straight platinum studio releases (with a platinum live album and a greatest hits package in that time as well).

#171 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Bayou Country (1969) (4.45 million albums)
Notable songs: Proud Mary (#2), Born On The Bayou, Good Golly, Miss Molly, Keep On Chooglin'

All 6 of the studio releases with John Fogerty were decent sellers, and all of them went platinum. I had a CCR phase in the mid-80s when Centerfield came out. Haven't listened to them / him in a long time.
I love the title track of Fly Like an Eagle but the 1973-74 live versions are even better. Here's one that aired on The Midnight Special in January 1974. Both Fly Like an Eagle and Book of Dreams are extraordinarily well-crafted and well-produced albums. I too have seen Miller once (in 1994) and thought it was a great set -- a good mix of 60s, 70s and 80s material, some of which was rearranged and/or jammed out.

Of the Get Lucky tracks, I remember the two hit singles but also Lucky Ones, which got a lot of play on MTV and FM stations. Its coda has some great guitar work from Paul Dean.

The songs of note on McCartney are Maybe I'm Amazed and Every Night. Everything else is just messing around. Junk is OK, I guess.

CCR released three (!) original albums in 1969, all of which were hits. Their first six albums came out in a span of 2.5 years, from mid 1968 to late 1970. That's nuts.

Feeling That Way is up there with anything they ever did IMO. Love the vocal interplay between Perry and Rolie, and some really nice shredding by Schon.
My stations always played Feeling That Way and Anytime together, so I've always considered them as one piece.
Yeah, they're pretty much a package duo along the lines of "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid", "Brain Damage/Eclipse", etc.

A couple months ago J was listening to Journey in the car for whatever reason, a playlist collection of all the hits that I liked, and I was astonished that my two daughters, now both in their early 20s, were happily singing along- they knew all the lyrics. Turns out is because of that show Glee that they watched as young kids. Apparently it featured Journey songs.

Feeling That Way is up there with anything they ever did IMO. Love the vocal interplay between Perry and Rolie, and some really nice shredding by Schon.
My stations always played Feeling That Way and Anytime together, so I've always considered them as one piece.
Yeah, they're pretty much a package duo along the lines of "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid", "Brain Damage/Eclipse", etc.
Oddly enough, Anytime was issued as a standalone single.

A couple months ago J was listening to Journey in the car for whatever reason, a playlist collection of all the hits that I liked, and I was astonished that my two daughters, now both in their early 20s, were happily singing along- they knew all the lyrics. Turns out is because of that show Glee that they watched as young kids. Apparently it featured Journey songs.
My daughters watched Glee religiously and it's actually a guilty pleasure of mine. :bag: I downloaded all 728 songs from the show for them.

Don't Stop Believin' was performed in multiple episodes and was essentially the main song for the run of the show. They also used Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin', Faithfully, and Anyway You Want It.

Oddly enough, Anytime was issued as a standalone single.
Yes - and strangely the song following Anytime on the album ("Lă Do Dā") was the B side instead. Perhaps Anytime was viewed as standalone by the record company and only became a pair when AOR stations started playing Feeling That Way.

#170 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Pendulum (1970) (4.49 million albums)
Notable songs: Have You Ever Seen The Rain (#8), Hey Tonight

We go back-to-back with CCR releases. Cosmo's Factory was filled with singles. Pendulum had a lot fewer popular songs. So much so that I wonder how it sold as much as it did.

#169 - THE DOORS - The Soft Parade (1969) (4.59 million albums)
Notable songs: Touch Me (#3), Wishful Sin (#44), Tell All The People (#57), Runnin' Blue (#64), The Soft Parade, Roadhouse Blues (Ray singing on deluxe edition)

You CANNOT petition the lord with prayer. When The Doors movie came out, I seem to remember a renaissance in album sales for the band. Makes me wonder what their album sales were when they were still around.

#168 - JANIS JOPLIN - Pearl (1971) (4.61 million albums)
Notable songs: Me And Bobby McGee (#1), Cry Baby (#42), Get It While You Can (#76), Mercedes Benz, Move Over

The album came out after Janis had already died, which usual results in higher album sales. Other than a handful of songs, she wasn't played much in my area. I always loved the Grateful Dead's version of Bobby McGee.

#167 - GENESIS - . . . And The There Were Three . . . (1978) (4.64 million albums)
Notable songs: Follow You Follow Me (#23), Many Too Many, Go West Young Man, The Lady Lies, Undertow, Down And Out

You know what we haven't seen in a while? A Genesis album. This one produced the first Top 40 hit in the States (out of 17 total).

#166 - GENESIS - Selling England By The Pound (1973) (4.66 million albums)
Notable songs: I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), Dancing With The Moonlit Night, Firth Of Fifth, The Cinema Show

You know what we haven't seen yet? A two fer from the lads across the pond. I take no pleasure in saying I know some of these early songs from them. For those of you scoring at home (and even if you're not), that's a six pack of albums from Genesis . . . so far.

People will like the next rack much better.

Genesis's presence is of biblical proportions thus far.
Yes, a real flood of albums.
Will be interesting to see if Bob Marley follows suit here at some point.
SPOLIER ALERT:

Bob's Legend greatest hits compilation is one of the best-selling greatest hits packages out there (with 28 million in recorded sales). But his individual albums didn't sell all that much. Bottom line, Mr. Marley does not appear on the list.

#170 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Pendulum (1970) (4.49 million albums)
Notable songs: Have You Ever Seen The Rain (#8), Hey Tonight

We go back-to-back with CCR releases. Cosmo's Factory was filled with singles. Pendulum had a lot fewer popular songs. So much so that I wonder how it sold as much as it did.

#169 - THE DOORS - The Soft Parade (1969) (4.59 million albums)
Notable songs: Touch Me (#3), Wishful Sin (#44), Tell All The People (#57), Runnin' Blue (#64), The Soft Parade, Roadhouse Blues (Ray singing on deluxe edition)

You CANNOT petition the lord with prayer. When The Doors movie came out, I seem to remember a renaissance in album sales for the band. Makes me wonder what their album sales were when they were still around.

#168 - JANIS JOPLIN - Pearl (1971) (4.61 million albums)
Notable songs: Me And Bobby McGee (#1), Cry Baby (#42), Get It While You Can (#76), Mercedes Benz, Move Over

The album came out after Janis had already died, which usual results in higher album sales. Other than a handful of songs, she wasn't played much in my area. I always loved the Grateful Dead's version of Bobby McGee.

#167 - GENESIS - . . . And The There Were Three . . . (1978) (4.64 million albums)
Notable songs: Follow You Follow Me (#23), Many Too Many, Go West Young Man, The Lady Lies, Undertow, Down And Out

You know what we haven't seen in a while? A Genesis album. This one produced the first Top 40 hit in the States (out of 17 total).

#166 - GENESIS - Selling England By The Pound (1973) (4.66 million albums)
Notable songs: I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), Dancing With The Moonlit Night, Firth Of Fifth, The Cinema Show

You know what we haven't seen yet? A two fer from the lads across the pond. I take no pleasure in saying I know some of these early songs from them. For those of you scoring at home (and even if you're not), that's a six pack of albums from Genesis . . . so far.

People will like the next rack much better.
As mentioned earlier, CCR built up a lot of commercial momentum during its first 2.5 years, so Pendulum rode that. Plus it had a top 10 single, which helps as well. They then went more than a year before releasing what turned out to be their final album, Mardi Gras, which is generally considered to be terrible.

I like some songs on The Soft Parade but not others. The Doors were a pretty big deal at the time, and their albums sold well during their lifetime, even if the music critic snobs considered them a singles band.

Janis' death was a huge story and it's not surprising a sales boost arose from it. A #1 single helps too. The FM stations I listened to in the 80s played Me and Bobby McGee and Move Over.

...And Then There Were Three... begins the transition to the popular Genesis sound but is still pretty proggy in spots. Down and Out has got some nutty time signatures going on -- and that's what they led off the album with.

Selling England by the Pound is the best Genesis album IMO, and a good example to cite if someone asks you what prog sounds like.

#221 - THE BEATLES - Hey Jude (1970) (3.637 million albums)
Notable songs: Hey Jude (#1), Lady Madonna (#4), Ballad Of John & Yoko (#8), Revolution (#12), Don't Let Me Down (#35), Old Brown Shoe

I struggled with what to do with this one. The album was also known as The Beatles Again and was released in the U.S., featuring songs that had not appeared on an album in the U.S. market before. The content on Beatles albums varied on UK and US versions. I believe the two Past Masters CDs incorporated all the leftover songs that were not part of albums, making this album mostly an afterthought. It finally was released on CD in 2014.
Yes the original title was "The Beatles Again". It is a very weird compilation because it has two songs from 1964, two from 1966 and the rest from 1968. I played the hell out it though and still have my original pressing of the LP which is playable but has it's fair share of pops and ticks.

#207 - WINGS - London Town (1978) (3.86 million albums)
Notable songs: With A Little Luck (#1), I've Had Enough (#25), Title Track (#39), Mull Of Kintyre (#33 - Reissue)

Paul remained popular as a solo artist . . . he had 21 Top 10 albums in the U.S. IMO, not much was of similar quality as the material produced when he was with The Beatles. I still enough his solo catalog, but I would take his Beatles output to listen to way more frequently.

#203 - WINGS - Wings At The Speed Of Sound (1976) (3.89 million albums)
Notable songs: Silly Love Songs (#1), Let 'Em In (#3), Beware My Love

Another one from Sir Paul. Hard to imagine that the same guy sang Helter Skelter and Silly Love Songs, but here we are. I do enjoy Let 'Em In, as to me it's Beatleseque.

#203: Speed of Sound was the LP that Paul was promoting for his 1976 American tour, the first time he played live in the US since the Beatles broke up. It suffers a bit because Paul tried to highlight the other members of the band on lead vocals, including Linda. One of the highlights was "Beware My Love". "Warm and Beautiful" is also pretty good. "silly Love Songs" was a massive hit and the bass is excellent. Watching him play it live on the "Wings Over America" film is a treat.

#207: London Town had Wings down to the three core members again, just like "Band on the Run". I believe much of it was recorded on a yacht. It had some good stuff on it though not even close to the quality of Band on the Run. I always enjoyed the London Town song itself. I think some of the lyrics may be Paul lamenting being so famous and unable to interact with every day people but maybe that is me reading too much into it:

People pass me by on my imaginary street
Ordinary people it's impossible to meet
Holding conversations that are always incomplete
Well, I don't know
Oh, where are there places to go?
Someone, somewhere has to know
I don't know

#165 - JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: Axis: Bold As Love (1967) (4.68 million albums)
Notable songs: Up From The Skies (#82), Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, If Six Was Nine, Castles Made Of Sand, Bold As Love

Enough of the British prog. On to the gritty guitar sound of Jimi and the sixties. I'm guessing the crowd in here would all favor Hendrix over early 70's Genesis.

#163T - JIMI HENDRIX - Band Of Gypsys (1970) (4.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Machine Gun, Who Knows, Power To Love, Foxy Lady (re-release)

Sure, I'll date a double shot of Jimi. The Band Of Gypsys album drew from multiple shows at the Fillmore, the complete set of performances are from this set. Highly recommended.

#163T - DAVID BOWIE - Hunky Dory (1971) (4.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Changes (#41), Life On Mars, Quicksand, Oh! You Pretty Thing, Kooks, Queen *****, Andy Warhol

Tim had this one at #48. My favorite Bowie period was the Ziggyesque years (72-73). He definitely had a different sound then compared to his other iterations. I think these songs sound fresh and have stood the test of time. But I can see how a lot of folks would say he was an odd duck and not be into him.

#162 - LED ZEPPELIN - The Song Remains The Same (1976) (4.79 million albums)
Notable songs: 15 songs from the 1973 tour performed in MSG in NYC.

Does anybody remember laughter? The mighty, mighty Zeppelin tells Genesis to hold my beer. Add this one to the live double albums list. The original release only had 9 tracks. The 2007 reissue added 32 minutes including Black Dog, Over The Hills, Misty Mountain, Since I've Been Loving, The Ocean, and Heartbreaker.

#161 - BLACK SABBATH - Master Of Reality (1971) (4.81 million albums)
Notable songs: Children Of The Grave, Into The Void, Sweat Leaf, After Forever, Embryo, Lord Of This World

Our fourth entry from Sabbath so far. I am more familiar with this one compared to the others so far. AllMusic graded it at 5 stars.

All in all, IMO, the best block of albums we've seen so far. Maybe better stated, the grouping that I would listen to the most of the options listed so far.

Last edited:
#165 - JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: Axis: Bold As Love (1967) (4.68 million albums)
Notable songs: All Along The Watchtower (#20), Up From The Skies (#82), Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, If Six Was Nine, Castles Made Of Sand, Bold As Love

Enough of the British prog. On to the gritty guitar sound of Jimi and the sixties. I'm guessing the crowd in here would all favor Hendrix over early 70's Genesis.

#163T - JIMI HENDRIX - Band Of Gypsys (1970) (4.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Machine Gun, Who Knows, Power To Love, Foxy Lady (re-release)

Sure, I'll date a double shot of Jimi. The Band Of Gypsys album drew from multiple shows at the Fillmore, the complete set of performances are from this set. Highly recommended.

#163T - DAVID BOWIE - Hunky Dory (1971) (4.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Changes (#41), Life On Mars, Quicksand, Oh! You Pretty Thing, Kooks, Queen *****, Andy Warhol

Tim had this one at #48. My favorite Bowie period was the Ziggyesque years (72-73). He definitely had a different sound then compared to his other iterations. I think these songs sound fresh and have stood the test of time. But I can see how a lot of folks would say he was an odd duck and not be into him.

#162 - LED ZEPPELIN - The Song Remains The Same (1976) (4.79 million albums)
Notable songs: 15 songs from the 1973 tour performed in MSG in NYC.

Does anybody remember laughter? The mighty, mighty Zeppelin tells Genesis to hold my beer. Add this one to the live double albums list. The original release only had 9 tracks. The 2007 reissue added 32 minutes including Black Dog, Over The Hills, Misty Mountain, Since I've Been Loving, The Ocean, and Heartbreaker.

#161 - BLACK SABBATH - Master Of Reality (1971) (4.81 million albums)
Notable songs: Children Of The Grave, Into The Void, Sweat Leaf, After Forever, Embryo, Lord Of This World

Our fourth entry from Sabbath so far. I am more familiar with this one compared to the others so far. AllMusic graded it at 5 stars.

All in all, IMO, the best block of albums we've seen so far. Maybe better stated, the grouping that I would listen to the most of the options listed so far.
All Along the Watchtower is on Electric Ladyland.

Anyway, these are all excellent.

#160 - PAT BENATAR - Crimes Of Passion (1980) (4.83 million albums)
Notable songs: Hit Me With Your Best Shot (#9), Treat Me Right (#18), You Better Run (#42), I'm Gonna Follow You, Hell Is For Children

The one album represented here from recent Rock HOF inductee Patricia Benatar, which sold twice as much as any other album. She ended up with 15 Top 40 charting songs.

#159 - IRON MAIDEN - Killers (1981) (4.85 million albums)
Notable songs: Twilight Zone, Purgatory, Wrathchild

I haven't become a Maiden fan since yesterday, so mostly clueless about them still. Killers apparently had slightly different tracks depending upon the country it was released in.

#158 - DAVID BOWIE - Aladdin Sane (1973) (4.9 million copies)
Notable songs: The Jean Genie (#71), Drive-In Saturday, Time, Panic In Detroit, Cracked Actor, Title Track, All The Young Dudes (re-release)

Bowie was always more popular in the UK 61 Top 40 singles compared to 13 in the U.S.I always like The Jean Genie.

#157 - BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath (1970)
Notable songs: Evil Woman, The Wizard, Title Track, N.I.B.

I'm a little surprised that this one sold as much as it did. I don't remember it getting much air play, and Sabbath's most popular and well-known songs come from future albums.

#156 - GENESIS - Duke (1980) (4.94 million albums)
Notable songs: Misunderstanding (#14), Turn It On Again (#58), Duchess, Behind The Lines

The good news is we are running out of Genesis albums. In live shows, they would frequently play Turn It On Again as a medley with covers of other songs in it, We still have one more album left from them, and the crazy part is their 3 albums that came out after 1981 all WAY outsold any of the ones on this list.

Notable songs: Hit Me With Your Best Shot (#9), Treat Me Right (#18), You Better Run (#42), I'm Gonna Follow You, Hell Is For Children

The one album represented here from recent Rock HOF inductee Patricia Benatar, which sold twice as much as any other album. She ended up with 15 Top 40 charting songs.

I haven't become a Maiden fan since yesterday, so mostly clueless about them still. Killers apparently had slightly different tracks depending upon the country it was released in..

I'm a little surprised that this one sold as much as it did. I don't remember it getting much air play, and Sabbath's most popular and well-known songs come from future albums.
Great group of albums. Wrathchild is still a really popular Maiden song. The strong Sabbath album sales isn’t surprising since The Wizard, Black Sabbath, and NIB are still favorites with metal fans. The song Black Sabbath is what got me into the band Black Sabbath. It starts so slow and foreboding and eventually is off to the races with a tasteful solo by Iommi. That is as dark a song as you will find. I can’t imagine what people thought when they heard that song 50 years ago.

I haven't become a Maiden fan since yesterday, so mostly clueless about them still. Killers apparently had slightly different tracks depending upon the country it was released in..

Great group of albums. Wrathchild is still a really popular Maiden song. The strong Sabbath album sales isn’t surprising since The Wizard, Black Sabbath, and NIB are still favorites with metal fans. The song Black Sabbath is what got me into the band Black Sabbath. It starts so slow and foreboding and eventually is off to the races with a tasteful solo by Iommi. That is as dark a song as you will find. I can’t imagine what people thought when they heard that song 50 years ago.
Love Black Sabbath and NIB. Two all-time favorites

I mentioned yesterday that "Iron Maiden" the song was the 10th video ever played on MTV. The Wrathchild video from the same concert venue was #35, also on day one. A nice slice of trivia is that the video for Pat Benatar's "You Better Run" (also mentioned above) was #2 right after "Video Killed The Radio Star".

I haven't become a Maiden fan since yesterday, so mostly clueless about them still. Killers apparently had slightly different tracks depending upon the country it was released in.

#158 - DAVID BOWIE - Aladdin Sane (1973) (4.9 million copies)
Notable songs: The Jean Genie (#71), Drive-In Saturday, Time, Panic In Detroit, Cracked Actor, Title Track, All The Young Dudes (re-release)

Bowie was always more popular in the UK 61 Top 40 singles compared to 13 in the U.S.I always like The Jean Genie.

#156 - GENESIS - Duke (1980) (4.94 million albums)
Notable songs: Misunderstanding (#14), Turn It On Again (#58), Duchess, Behind The Lines

The good news is we are running out of Genesis albums. In live shows, they would frequently play Turn It On Again as a medley with covers of other songs in it, We still have one more album left from them, and the crazy part is their 3 albums that came out after 1981 all WAY outsold any of the ones on this list.
I am surprised to learn that Hell is for Children was not a single -- just a staple of FM stations. I guess its lyrics were too controversial for the AM audience.

Black Sabbath did attract an audience initially, in part because they sounded like nothing else at the time. But I'm sure much of its first album's sales came after the success of the Paranoid album.

Duke is a further progression toward a more accessible sound for Genesis. Misunderstanding and Turn It on Again were their most radio-friendly songs up to that point. But much of the rest of the album is pretty intricate, with lots of long instrumental passages (but not as long as during the Gabriel years). It wasn't until the next album, which will presumably be the last one to appear here, where they started to bring in the more overt pop elements that we would also see on Phil Collins' solo albums.

I am surprised to learn that Hell is for Children was not a single -- just a staple of FM stations. I guess its lyrics were too controversial for the AM audience.
Could be, although the similar-themed "Luka" by Suzanne Vega seemed to find a big audience seven years later. Things move fast for sure, if that was the case back in 1980.

I am surprised to learn that Hell is for Children was not a single -- just a staple of FM stations.
In going through this exercise, I am surprised at some of the decisions record labels made for a lot of these artists. For example, some songs I don't remember were released as singles, yet many heavy air play songs never were. Similarly, some of these performers had songs released as standalone singles that weren't initially included on the album release (but could have been added to releases in other countries or added on expanded editions later).

Users who are viewing this thread