What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top wide receiver (1 Viewer)

lebowski

Footballguy
Consensus definitely seems to point to Andre Johnson as being the top receiver this year. I can't help but think this year it is going to be Calvin Johnson. If Stafford stays healthy all year it feels like he could push 15-20 TD's and 1300 yards. Andre Johnson is a stud, don't get me wrong. Just not sure if he can get the TD's to back up his other stats. Anyone else getting this feeling about Calvin Johnson or another receiver for that matter.

Consensus definitely seems to point to Andre Johnson as being the top receiver this year. I can't help but think this year it is going to be Calvin Johnson. If Stafford stays healthy all year it feels like he could push 15-20 TD's and 1300 yards. Andre Johnson is a stud, don't get me wrong. Just not sure if he can get the TD's to back up his other stats. Anyone else getting this feeling about Calvin Johnson or another receiver for that matter.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see CJ win the fantasy scoring title this year among WRs. He is a monster and I'd die to catch him in the second round. But it's hard to bet against Johnson when he puts up the biggest numbers year after year. We have Johnson and C.J. at #1 & #2 respectively.It should be worth noting that in terms of fantasy points per game, C.J. ranked 9th last year behind Nicks, Johnson, Lloyd, Bowe, Jennings, White, Collie, & Wallace. The gap separating them all was quite low, but it should still be noted.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see CJ win the fantasy scoring title this year among WRs. He is a monster and I'd die to catch him in the second round. But it's hard to bet against Johnson when he puts up the biggest numbers year after year. We have Johnson and C.J. at #1 & #2 respectively.It should be worth noting that in terms of fantasy points per game, C.J. ranked 9th last year behind Nicks, Johnson, Lloyd, Bowe, Jennings, White, Collie, & Wallace. The gap separating them all was quite low, but it should still be noted.
he was also without his QB.

It seems like a real tossup this year. Could be Andre Johnson, could be Megatron, could be Fitz, hell Roddy White is being drafted mainly as someone with a super high floor but he could get #1 as well. Significant questions for all those guys exist...AJ seems the most likely to be no1 though, due to previous consistency and not a ton changing on the team. Megatron is more of an injury risk (both him and QB), Fitz has an unknown situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
he was also without his QB.
Good point, which is why he still warrants a #2 selection this year.

Aj or Fitz likely.

A sneaky name to toss out there that isn't common: Reggie Wayne. Seems like everytime Marvin or Wayne have come into contract years, Manning seems to make a point to underscore how important they are and their numbers get a bump. Probably not enough to make a STRONG case Wayne could get the top spot, but as a guy that perenially hovers in the top 7 or so each year, its worth noting.

Fitz will be playing for Big off season money, if he can get 90 - 1150 and 6 with Zonas, Highschool level Qbs last year, he'll certainingly go over 100 catches 1400 yards and 10 tds with Kolb throwing to him.

It will be Fitz #1, Dre edges Megatron for the number 2 spot.

Dre has never scored more than 9 tds in a year, Megatron has never topped 1400 yards in a season Fitz on the other hand has accomplished those things 3 times. An All World WR Stud like that in a contract year with now a solid QB throwing to him could be VERY VERY SCARY! I'll guarantee he gets 100+ catches 1400 yards and 10+ tds this year.

Book It!!

For redraft my rankings go

1 A. Johnson

2 C. Johnson

3 Fitzgerald

4 White

5 Nicks

Dynasty:

1 C. Johnson

2 Fitz

3 A. Johnson

4 Nicks

5 White

Fitz will be playing for Big off season money, if he can get 90 - 1150 and 6 with Zonas, Highschool level Qbs last year, he'll certainingly go over 100 catches 1400 yards and 10 tds with Kolb throwing to him.It will be Fitz #1, Dre edges Megatron for the number 2 spot. Dre has never scored more than 9 tds in a year, Megatron has never topped 1400 yards in a season Fitz on the other hand has accomplished those things 3 times. An All World WR Stud like that in a contract year with now a solid QB throwing to him could be VERY VERY SCARY! I'll guarantee he gets 100+ catches 1400 yards and 10+ tds this year. Book It!!
I think it's possible Fitz will be #1 but I don't think the contract year motivates him any more. The guy trains like a freak no matter what year it is, he plays as hard as he can all the time, and he's smart so I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to worry about money.

Wayne will have too many other guys eating into his STATS, Peyton every year seems to get everyone to notice another colt WR option, I E Collie, Tamme , and even to a certain extent Blair White, plus Gonz could be back this year too, and Wayne will still have to compete with PG85 for touches, clark will be back, Addai will get his, just WAY to many people for Wayne to have to compete with.

I actually think this year will be a changing of the guard in INDY , Wayne will pass the torch to PG85 (breakout year!) as for Hakeem great year last year but hasn't done it season after season like the other guys.

I don't see how Fitz doesn't come out on top.

It seems that Andre is the "safe" pick. Although he is going WR1 in many drafts, many people believe that Fitz, Mega, Roddy, Nicks, etc may finish above him.

The bottom line is that people believe Andre's floor is the highest. We know what we're buying into when we draft him, whereas no one knows how well Kolb will do with Fitz, how healthy Staff/Mega can stay, and how much Julio Jones takes away from Roddy's targets.

I feel like Calvin and Andre are the best bets. Give me Calvin.

2 sorta darkhorses that I like are Mike Wallace and DeSean Jackson, assuming non-ppr. I think they will both see a lot more targets this year, and I don't think their YPC's will drop too much. I think both of them have more upside than White or Wayne, but obviously have a little more risk.

FYP. ;) Honestly, I think it's either him, AJ or Fitz - I know that's not exactly going out on a limb, but they are all right there. For the most part, neither has much competition for catches (like Wayne or Roddy) - they all have solid QB situations. 1 of the 3, but honestly, I do think Stafford has a lot more to prove (health-wise especially) than the QBs for the other two.

Wayne will have too many other guys eating into his STATS, Peyton every year seems to get everyone to notice another colt WR option, I E Collie, Tamme , and even to a certain extent Blair White, plus Gonz could be back this year too, and Wayne will still have to compete with PG85 for touches, clark will be back, Addai will get his, just WAY to many people for Wayne to have to compete with.I actually think this year will be a changing of the guard in INDY , Wayne will pass the torch to PG85 (breakout year!) as for Hakeem great year last year but hasn't done it season after season like the other guys.I don't see how Fitz doesn't come out on top.
I'll buy the idea of too many mouths to feed although that never seems to hurt too much..But it definetly could hold him back. Seeing that AJ and Calvin could have those situations to a lesser degree, I guess that reinforces my notion on Fitz...not really anyone as of today that I would expect to eat into his production as much as Clark might in Indy or Foster and Daniels in Houston, etc.Garcon? I dunno about it being "pass the torch". At the end of the day, he doesn't strike me as a guy Peyton fully trusts and relies on the same way he did with marvin and Now Wayne and clark.

Lot of people suggesting Fitz. I get it, I do, we want the Fitz back we had with Warner, I am not sure that Kolb will be able to do it. There is lots of "if Stafford gets hurt" (justified), but not much concern about Kolb not cutting it? I find that strange. My head tells me to go with AJ and have no worries as he always performs and if I select the first WR in the draft it will be him. HOWEVER, my gut tells me we could have a monster season on our hands from Calvin Johnson like Moss a few years back when he blew everyone else out of the water. Choose who you feel best with, kind of interesting is the fact that we leave a bunch of other guys off the list, but Dodds has Fitz at 7th currently, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Lot of people suggesting Fitz. I get it, I do, we want the Fitz back we had with Warner, I am not sure that Kolb will be able to do it. There is lots of "if Stafford gets hurt" (justified), but not much concern about Kolb not cutting it? I find that strange. My head tells me to go with AJ and have no worries as he always performs and if I select the first WR in the draft it will be him. HOWEVER, my gut tells me we could have a monster season on our hands from Calvin Johnson like Moss a few years back when he blew everyone else out of the water. Choose who you feel best with, kind of interesting is the fact that we leave a bunch of other guys off the list, but Dodds has Fitz at 7th currently, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
There's plenty of speculation on Kolb. Some speculating he will fail and some saying he will soar. I personally feel he will soar. That's why I think the resurgence of Larry Fitzgerald will occur this season. Add in the fact that Boldin is no longer present to take a chunk of the catches like he was in the Warner years and I feel Fitz could be huge this year.

Wayne will have too many other guys eating into his STATS, Peyton every year seems to get everyone to notice another colt WR option, I E Collie, Tamme , and even to a certain extent Blair White, plus Gonz could be back this year too, and Wayne will still have to compete with PG85 for touches, clark will be back, Addai will get his, just WAY to many people for Wayne to have to compete with.

I actually think this year will be a changing of the guard in INDY , Wayne will pass the torch to PG85 (breakout year!) as for Hakeem great year last year but hasn't done it season after season like the other guys.

I don't see how Fitz doesn't come out on top.
I'll buy the idea of too many mouths to feed although that never seems to hurt too much..But it definetly could hold him back. Seeing that AJ and Calvin could have those situations to a lesser degree, I guess that reinforces my notion on Fitz...not really anyone as of today that I would expect to eat into his production as much as Clark might in Indy or Foster and Daniels in Houston, etc.Garcon? I dunno about it being "pass the torch". At the end of the day, he doesn't strike me as a guy Peyton fully trusts and relies on the same way he did with marvin and Now Wayne and clark.
:mellow: - Garcon?? Ummm...no...or should I say "again?!?" But don't let geoff8695 hear that. :ph34r:

It seems that Andre is the "safe" pick. Although he is going WR1 in many drafts, many people believe that Fitz, Mega, Roddy, Nicks, etc may finish above him.The bottom line is that people believe Andre's floor is the highest. We know what we're buying into when we draft him, whereas no one knows how well Kolb will do with Fitz, how healthy Staff/Mega can stay, and how much Julio Jones takes away from Roddy's targets.
Well put, and that is exactly what I look for in my top 3 round choices for a player...always the highest floor. You can get risky after that, but I always want the guy who I feel will have the highest floor if his ceiling is equal (or at least close) to the guy I am taking him over.

I also concur that AJ has the highest floor.

Having said that (for all you "Curb" fans...)

my top 5 for 2011 non-ppr:

1.Calvin

2.Vincent Jackson

3.Fitzgerald

4.AJ

5.Wallace

PPR.

1.Percy Harvin

2. Megatron

3. Fitz

4. V. Jacks

5. White

6. Welker

7. A J

8. lance Moore

9. Wallace

10. B Lloyd

There has to be some change in the top ten, there always is.

Nicks will not be top ten.

PPR. 1.Percy Harvin2. Megatron3. Fitz4. V. Jacks5. White6. Welker7. A J8. lance Moore9. Wallace10. B LloydThere has to be some change in the top ten, there always is.Nicks will not be top ten.
I will give you a bajillion dollars CASH if Lance Moore finishes as a top 8 PPR receiver. :D

'DoubleG said:
'lebowski said:
FYP. ;) Honestly, I think it's either him, AJ or Fitz - I know that's not exactly going out on a limb, but they are all right there. For the most part, neither has much competition for catches (like Wayne or Roddy) - they all have solid QB situations. 1 of the 3, but honestly, I do think Stafford has a lot more to prove (health-wise especially) than the QBs for the other two.
I don't see that Roddy has much competition for looks. Even if his targets decline, which they likely will, he'll still finish top ten in targets and his floor is 90 catches. I also think the addition of Jones and the growth of Douglass will likely help White be more productive with his looks.

I am huge Fitz supporter (have him in my dynasty league), but do not forget that Anderson was more accurate down field last year than Kolb. This is a fact backed up by stats from ProfootballFocus.com

'Chumpson said:
Didn't Dodds rank Fitz really high last year, despite the concern by almost everyone in FF-land that the AZ QB situation could be a disaster??? I don't remember the exact ranking, but I believe it was higher than 7th, which is where he is ranked this year with Kolb at the helm.

1 AJ

2 Megatron

3 Fitz

4 White

5 Nicks

Only way Nicks doesn't crack top 5 is an injury (in full disclosure I am a Giants fan)

megatron could be in for an enormous year if Stafford stays healthy. Big IF I know.

Excellent discussion guys, thanks for your contribution to this thread :thumbup: Now to add a bit more fuel to the fire on fitz...is not having a good #2 on your team a good thing. I would think that would mean double and triple coverage and factor that in with an unproven QB has me worried. I agree with an earlier post about how impressive he was last year with garbage at QB, but there is no guarantee this year will be better. Great point about AJ's floor. I'm actually hoping to nail 2 top WR in my draft, or a top WR and QB. Hoping my league sticks with its RB heavy draft mentality. If you have 3rd Round reversal in your draft you could feasibly come out with AJ, Roddy White and Fitz/Wayne/Wallace in your draft. You would crush people with that!

Didn't Dodds rank Fitz really high last year, despite the concern by almost everyone in FF-land that the AZ QB situation could be a disaster??? I don't remember the exact ranking, but I believe it was higher than 7th, which is where he is ranked this year with Kolb at the helm.
Dodd's had Fitzgerald at WR#2 behind only Andre Johnson [1300 and 9 compared with 1400 and 9].The consensus at Footballguys.com had Fitzgerald at WR#3 [Ranging from WR#1 - WR#12].

I am huge Fitz supporter (have him in my dynasty league), but do not forget that Anderson was more accurate down field last year than Kolb. This is a fact backed up by stats from ProfootballFocus.com
Was this sarcastic? Anderson attempted 327 total passes to Kolb's 189 for the year. Hardly a one to one comparison. How many did they say were considered "down field?"

Vincent Jackson. All day, 'er day
I like VJax a ton - but I think a healthy Gates eats away at some of his targets. AJ, Calvin and Fitz don't have that prolific a TE. I wouldn't be shocked if it's VJax (I would be shocked if VJax didn't finish in the top 10-12) - I just don't think he'll see the targets needed to get him to #1 overall - especially given the fact that SD is typically middle of the pack (or lower) in pass attempts each season.

'Chumpson said:
HOWEVER, my gut tells me we could have a monster season on our hands from Calvin Johnson like Moss a few years back when he blew everyone else out of the water.
I expect one of those from Calvin before he hangs em up. Probably either this year or next.

I know that Chad Henne needs to get it going, but I think Marshall is due for a huge leap. I targeted him in every league and I will overpay to get him. I think Brandon Marshall is back to over 100 catches double digit TD's and about 1400 yards. 2nd year in system, and seems like with job on the line Sporano is going to get his playmaker the ball. I also feel Reggie Bush can cause some concern for defenses when he lines ups, Bess is a nice job on the other side, it could be a good year

'Touchdown Syndrome said:
'Pastor said:
PPR. 1.Percy Harvin2. Megatron3. Fitz4. V. Jacks5. White6. Welker7. A J8. lance Moore9. Wallace10. B LloydThere has to be some change in the top ten, there always is.Nicks will not be top ten.
I will give you a bajillion dollars CASH if Lance Moore finishes as a top 8 PPR receiver. :D
I have a hunch Lance Moore finishes in the top 15 in PPR. I appreciate him going out on a limb. As far as my vote for number one, I go Larry Fitzgerald. Last year was his basement of a crack house and he still produced.

If he stays healthy, Hakeem Nicks. He has a very good QB and a shortage of other, viable targets around him other than Manningham.

Vincent Jackson. All day, 'er day
Antonio Gates says " hello como estas"
The Bolts threw from 4700 yards and 30 TD WITHOUT Jackson for 2/3 of the season and now Sproles is gone on top of it. The Chargers passing totals have been trending up since LT started declining. By comparison, the Chargers posted their totals in roughly 140 fewer attempts than the Colts had last year.Even if we give Gates his share, there is plenty leftover for Jackson. Jackson is certainly in a great situation to rank as the top dog this year. I realize that he's never ranked higher than 10th before, and that alone should make one pause, but I wouldn't rule out Jackson making a run for the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread