What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Smith - BAL homers... (1 Viewer)

enfuego

Footballguy
Heard he's back at practice. Flacco still looks raw to me and if struggling, Smith could be worth a roster spot. What's the word in BAL?

I haven't had the same impression you have of Flacco.

The only way Smith sees the field is if Flacco is injured, IMHO.

I haven't had the same impression you have of Flacco.The only way Smith sees the field is if Flacco is injured, IMHO.
:goodposting: I love all of Smith's intangibles. If he had Boller's body, he'd be a star. But Flacco's grip on that job is such that only injury (or mop up duty) gets Troy in the game. Based on what I've seen out of Flacco, he'd have to really, really crap the bed for multiple games to even have a chance of getting benched.

I haven't had the same impression you have of Flacco.The only way Smith sees the field is if Flacco is injured, IMHO.
Exactly. Flacco is doing well. He actually looked pretty good against a very good Steeler D Monday night.

Heard he's back at practice. Flacco still looks raw to me and if struggling, Smith could be worth a roster spot. What's the word in BAL?
The Ravens coach said this yesterday:On whether he envisions using Smith in specialized situations or plays: “We can definitely envision Troy playing. Troy’s a really good football player. He’s proven that. And, he’s going to be on the field for us this year in some form or fashion, for sure.”

3C said:
BertJones said:
Exactly. Flacco is doing well. He actually looked pretty good against a very good Steeler D Monday night.
what's good about 140 yards passing? Oh I've seen worse and all so maybe it's not bad but, it sure isn't good.They're babying him to such an extreme degree. To put it into context he threw for something like 76 yards in the first Q a couple weeks back. The O was moving and it was wow nice job Ravens. After the 1st Q, 56 yards passing over the next 3 Qs. (Guesses at stats, very close though)I could roll with "he's shown that ability" or somesuch referring to why they drafted him but cmon Kurt and Brees probably have thrown for more yards in a game than he's thrown this whole season. There is going to be a point(this week?) where he has to throw and he's not going to be ready because of this babying. The Titans have a super tough run D. They have had one half of a game where they weren't excellent this year. The Titans have 3 starting caliber CBs and Finnegan might be the best in the NFL right now. They have 15 sacks, 8 Forced Fumbles, and 8 INTs in 4 games. So assuming they can't run well (Adrian Peterson only had what 65 yards?) and they'll have to pass, they've left Flacco relatively inexperienced and set to go against one of the best Ds in quite some time. How could he do well?We'll see but, I think their super slimmed down offense for the rook is about to really "bite them" this week.

3C said:
BertJones said:
what's good about 140 yards passing? Oh I've seen worse and all so maybe it's not bad but, it sure isn't good.They're babying him to such an extreme degree. To put it into context he threw for something like 76 yards in the first Q a couple weeks back. The O was moving and it was wow nice job Ravens. After the 1st Q, 56 yards passing over the next 3 Qs. (Guesses at stats, very close though)I could roll with "he's shown that ability" or somesuch referring to why they drafted him but cmon Kurt and Brees probably have thrown for more yards in a game than he's thrown this whole season. There is going to be a point(this week?) where he has to throw and he's not going to be ready because of this babying. The Titans have a super tough run D. They have had one half of a game where they weren't excellent this year. The Titans have 3 starting caliber CBs and Finnegan might be the best in the NFL right now. They have 15 sacks, 8 Forced Fumbles, and 8 INTs in 4 games. So assuming they can't run well (Adrian Peterson only had what 65 yards?) and they'll have to pass, they've left Flacco relatively inexperienced and set to go against one of the best Ds in quite some time. How could he do well?We'll see but, I think their super slimmed down offense for the rook is about to really "bite them" this week.
Flacco's already got more regular season PT than Smith, who wasn't exactly Joe Montana when he played either. With that in mind, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that they will keep starting Flacco barring some kind of catastrophe - which, in the context of the original poster's question, means that Smith at this point isn't really worth rostering in any redraft leagues unless you've got giant rosters.

Flacco's already got more regular season PT than Smith, who wasn't exactly Joe Montana when he played either. With that in mind, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that they will keep starting Flacco barring some kind of catastrophe - which, in the context of the original poster's question, means that Smith at this point isn't really worth rostering in any redraft leagues unless you've got giant rosters.
I replied to a post that stated that Flacco was doing well.As of this minute, no I don't think Smith plays. I'd still wait to see if he makes it thru the Titans game though. "Poor" guy really could be in a bad spot this week. Schaub rarely finishes a game against them(once in 2 years?). I thought Frerotte was coming out last week when he was clutching his arm in pain. I don't know if it's the Giants or Titans that got to Carson.

I replied to a post that stated that Flacco was doing well.As of this minute, no I don't think Smith plays. I'd still wait to see if he makes it thru the Titans game though. "Poor" guy really could be in a bad spot this week. Schaub rarely finishes a game against them(once in 2 years?). I thought Frerotte was coming out last week when he was clutching his arm in pain. I don't know if it's the Giants or Titans that got to Carson.
You have to understand what Ravens fans have been forced to watch at QB (with the exception of McNair for part of '06) for the last half dozen years to understand why we think Flacco's playing "well". It's a relative thing - he's certainly not been startable as a FF QB, but he looks like could actually turn into an NFL QB.I agree that he's gonna get the snot knocked out of him this week (so is Collins, who's probably having nightmares of February, 2001). But the next few games after this one are against much less imposing defenses, so I think they'll try to let Flacco tough this one out unless the game's out of hand or he gets hurt.

3C said:
BertJones said:
J. Flacco 16/31 192 1 0:shrug:I'll take that out of a rookie in his 3rd game against a top tier D.

3C said:
BertJones said:
Does Smith really stand a better chance this week against TN? Why not let Flacco run out there and get some experience?

J. Flacco 16/31 192 1 0:wall:I'll take that out of a rookie in his 3rd game against a top tier D.
cherry picker :goodposting: 129,129,192 (feel free to hope it's 291 and the 1-2-9 numberring continues)450 yards total(a longest pass play of 35 yards) 1 TD 3 fumbles 2 INTs 55.7% passingYou guys see something (he has looked good in spots) but you sure don't have results.It's like they have him throw on occasion but he's really just the guy to hand the ball off. FWIW I'm thoroughly against starting a rookie QB and not letting him air it out. It's one thing if you must start him his rookie year but, don't take away what he does naturally. I'd rather see him throw for 3300 yards with 29INT 18TDs. That's experience IMO. Not this stuff they're doing.Kyle Boller averaged 111 yards per game as a rook and he's never averaged 200 ypg. His 2nd year, 16 starts, he had just two games with over 200 yards and FOUR with less than 100 yards. He completed 55% of his passes 13 TDs 11 INTs.Do I need to post 3rd round pick Chris Redman's stats from the same organization?Kyle Orton....same boat here, 125ypg as rook, still nothing exciting. It's not just the RavensLet him throw!!!!!!!!Thanks I feel better now

Does Smith really stand a better chance this week against TN? Why not let Flacco run out there and get some experience?
I don't like how they're using Flacco. If he's the prized pupil of sorts of this organization then let him learn or let him throw. If Smith sit this whole year, I'd bet he winds up better than Flacco for having sat and learned vs getting a beating and barely passing. I don't think they made a choice in TC to go with one or the other. I think they just decided they wouldn't pass much so does it really matter who is in there? That's just avoiding the issue IMO

J. Flacco 16/31 192 1 0:shrug:I'll take that out of a rookie in his 3rd game against a top tier D.
cherry picker :thumbup: 129,129,192 (feel free to hope it's 291 and the 1-2-9 numberring continues)450 yards total(a longest pass play of 35 yards) 1 TD 3 fumbles 2 INTs 55.7% passingYou guys see something (he has looked good in spots) but you sure don't have results.It's like they have him throw on occasion but he's really just the guy to hand the ball off. FWIW I'm thoroughly against starting a rookie QB and not letting him air it out. It's one thing if you must start him his rookie year but, don't take away what he does naturally. I'd rather see him throw for 3300 yards with 29INT 18TDs. That's experience IMO. Not this stuff they're doing.Kyle Boller averaged 111 yards per game as a rook and he's never averaged 200 ypg. His 2nd year, 16 starts, he had just two games with over 200 yards and FOUR with less than 100 yards. He completed 55% of his passes 13 TDs 11 INTs.Do I need to post 3rd round pick Chris Redman's stats from the same organization?Kyle Orton....same boat here, 125ypg as rook, still nothing exciting. It's not just the RavensLet him throw!!!!!!!!Thanks I feel better now
Still not sure I see a problem. He's a rookie. It's his 3rd game. For most of camp he was the #3 but injuries/illness thrust him into the #1 role. He was playing against a great D. As I see it, as the season progresses he will improve and they will let him air it out a bit more. If I was a Ravens fan I'd be pretty happy with where he is right now. More attempts, completions and yards than Big Ben by the way. :P

Still not sure I see a problem. He's a rookie. It's his 3rd game. For most of camp he was the #3 but injuries/illness thrust him into the #1 role. He was playing against a great D. As I see it, as the season progresses he will improve and they will let him air it out a bit more. If I was a Ravens fan I'd be pretty happy with where he is right now. More attempts, completions and yards than Big Ben by the way. :unsure:

Baltimore should only hope that they bring Flacco around slowly and methodically like Denver did with Cutler. Ease him in, don't let him get too rattled or overwhelmed by throwing the whole playbook at him. Just give him bite size chunks, and let him take his carefully measured lumps so he doesn't lose his confidence.

I remember hearing the announcers saying last week that the Ravens wish they had put him in with the first team earlier. That dosen't sound like a comment someone makes if they are planning to pull him.

Troy Smith never sees the field in Baltimore again, unless Flacco is hurt or it's a blowout.

He's a # 1 pick. Smith is a sixth-rounder. The Ravens are convinced that they've found their QB of the future. And he's even doing a decent job in the present, going 2-1 vs. the division and holding his own at Pittsburgh on Monday Night.

Plus Smith still isn't fully healthy yet. Why in the world would they pull him now?

Users who are viewing this thread