What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Approval Increasing, Support for Impeachment falling (1 Viewer)

Only Trump supporters could spin < 50% approval ratings and 50% wanting impeached and removed as a good thing.

Do Trump supporters think that the 50% who don't want him impeached AND removed will all vote for him?  Cause you can bet that the 50% who wants him impeached AND removed will be voting against him bigly. 
He has already won an election with similar support.  

The trend was sharply rising in the last weeks.  There is little doubt it was going higher.  
Irrelevant. The number never hit 60, since he resigned, so any speculation about where it would have gone is just that. Speculation.

He has already won an election with similar support.  
Not correct.  He's already got 50% voting against him.  Now you think that 100% of those who want him not impeached AND removed will vote for him?

Nope.  Say it's 90% of those who will vote for him.

He loses thank god. 

Only Trump supporters could spin < 50% approval ratings and 50% wanting impeached and removed as a good thing.

Do Trump supporters think that the 50% who don't want him impeached AND removed will all vote for him?  Cause you can bet that the 50% who wants him impeached AND removed will be voting against him bigly. 
Only Trump haters could spin that the upwards trend is actually not a trend and not worth looking at.  :shrug:

Loving the live split screen between President Trump smiling and waving to a capacity crowd and angry Adam Schiff with his eyes bulging out of his head angrily waving his finger. Schiff knows he completely crapped the bed here as polls have shown.

Irrelevant. The number never hit 60, since he resigned, so any speculation about where it would have gone is just that. Speculation.
Nixon was not removed from office either.  But Nixon would have been removed and people would have supported it by a wide margined.  There is not nor will there be a clear majority which want Trump removed unless something else drops.  

Not correct.  He's already got 50% voting against him.  Now you think that 100% of those who want him not impeached AND removed will vote for him?

Nope.  Say it's 90% of those who will vote for him.

He loses thank god. 
I hope you're at least preparing yourself for another 4 years.  At this rate, if he wins next year I might be concerned for some of you in here.  You're pinning your hopes on flimsy evidence at best.  IMO, what the Democrats are attempting here is going to backfire and is going to help Trump, not hurt him.

Plan for the worst but hope for the best, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nixon was not removed from office either.  But Nixon would have been removed and people would have supported it by a wide margined.  There is not nor will there be a clear majority which want Trump removed unless something else drops.  
Again, irrelevant. Nixon knew he messed up and got caught, and chose to resign. Trump is foolish enough to try and convince people he didn't do anything wrong, and has failed at that.

Very predictable results......

Trump Approval Inches Up, While Support for Impeachment Dips

BY JUSTIN MCCARTHY

45% approve of Trump's job performance, marking his third consecutive increase

Support for impeachment still contentious, but continues to dip, now at 46%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating has inched up again and is now at 45%. The president's ratings have increased six percentage points since the House of Representatives opened an impeachment inquiry against him in the fall.

The president's latest approval rating is from a Dec. 2-15 poll, conducted as the Democratic-controlled House held hearings on whether Trump should be impeached. The House is likely to vote to impeach the president on Wednesday, though Trump's removal from office is unlikely in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Approval of the president's performance remains high among Republicans (89%) and low among Democrats (8%). Less than half of political independents approve, but the current 42% is up from 34% at the start of the impeachment hearings and matches their highest rating of Trump so far.

Trump's latest job rating is on the high end of the relatively tight range of 35% to 46% approval he has received since taking office, and marks the fifth time he has reached 45% or higher during his presidency. His approval stretched to 46% only once, in May of this year, when a flurry of positive economic news coincided with the issuing of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report.

Americans Still Divided on Impeachment, but Support Has Fallen Slightly

Americans remain split on whether to impeach and remove Trump from office, but the percentage who support these legislative actions has dipped slightly each time Gallup has polled on the matter since October.

Currently, 46% support impeachment and removal, down six percentage points from the first reading after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the impeachment inquiry. Meanwhile, 51% oppose impeachment and removal -- up five percentage points over the same period.
Not surprising.  I stated from the start the only way we can blow this election is if we self destruct.   Also right now the impeachment votes are putting congress at risk as well.  

Loving the live split screen between President Trump smiling and waving to a capacity crowd and angry Adam Schiff with his eyes bulging out of his head angrily waving his finger. Schiff knows he completely crapped the bed here as polls have shown.
Local news showing more of the MI rally with 10;000 cheering people  then the impeach voting LOL

And very very few Democrats, if any at all, will be punished for this vote. The Republicans are another question...

Depending on who the Democrats select it remains very unlikely that Trump will be re-elected. 
I would have agreed with you a month ago.  Now I am starting to think Trump has a chance.   Too much focus on Trump-hating.  Pete might be the only one who can put out a positive message which can win. 

Over 40%, generously, support impeach and remove, based on the polls upthread. And people think Americans see this as a sham? Wouldn’t it be more like 10% if Americans see it as a sham? Donald Trump did this to himself, he did the phone call, he withheld the aid. Not Dems. The reason Nixon resigned was because decent people could agree when the line was crossed and enough was enough. Why did we lose that in this country? I have my thoughts on why, and it rhymes with Lush Fimbaugh and Rocks Pews. Sorry, but he’s getting impeached for what he did. No one else. 

In my opinion, it's going to be this same thinking that crushed the left in 2016 that's going to play out again next year.
The left wasn’t “crushed” in 2016 by any measure. You can’t win the popular vote and be crushed. 

Around a 95% chance that Trump loses the popular vote again. Does that mean he loses? Of course not, he’s got a real chance, even though I think it’s unlikely. 

But one thing I’m fairly sure of: nobody is crushing anybody else in this election (or any other Presidential election for many years to come.) 

Over 40%, generously, support impeach and remove, based on the polls upthread. And people think Americans see this as a sham? Wouldn’t it be more like 10% if Americans see it as a sham? Donald Trump did this to himself, he did the phone call, he withheld the aid. Not Dems. The reason Nixon resigned was because decent people could agree when the line was crossed and enough was enough. Why did we lose that in this country? I have my thoughts on why, and it rhymes with Lush Fimbaugh and Rocks Pews. Sorry, but he’s getting impeached for what he did. No one else. 
35 percent supported impeachment of Obama and Trump regardless of any real scandal.  Getting over 40 percent is not that big of a hurdle and certainly not enough for impeachment.  Ot is not a sham, but it is not a good strategy 

57% and climbing wanted Nixon removed when he resigned, and had an approval rating of 24-25 percent during the 10 months prior.  Trump is no where near that level and Nixon would of hot the 60 percent level had it stayed on.  
What are the chances that if Trump would be impeached if he did the exact same thing that Nixon did? My guess is the chances would be the same as what we currently have, and his approval numbers would also be the same. There are just too many Trump fans who either 1) don't want to admit that they made a mistake in the first place, or 2) just want to stick it to the libs regardless of how ####ty their guy acts

The left wasn’t “crushed” in 2016 by any measure. You can’t win the popular vote and be crushed. 

Around a 95% chance that Trump loses the popular vote again. Does that mean he loses? Of course not, he’s got a real chance, even though I think it’s unlikely. 

But one thing I’m fairly sure of: nobody is crushing anybody else in this election (or any other Presidential election for many years to come.) 
What I meant by "crushed" was the emotional toll, not the actual final popular/electoral vote count.

And very very few Democrats, if any at all, will be punished for this vote. The Republicans are another question...
Listening to POTUS Radio today at work and they are left leaning the sentiment was different.  Losing the seats that were flipped in 18 was a concern.

35 percent supported impeachment of Obama and Trump regardless of any real scandal. 
OK stop. Can you back this up with any real data? Because I strongly doubt this is true. I know for a fact that prior to the Mueller report support for impeachment for Trump was never close to that high, and I’d be shocked if it was ever close to that for Obama. Please cite your work, thanks. 

I’m having a really hard time seeing how Trump isn’t re-elected if the Senate acquits him. The economy is roaring and if somehow Warren or Sanders is against him in the General I can’t see how they win on a platform of transformational change at a time of historically low unemployment. I really like Mayor Pete but the progressives hate him and I don’t see how Biden  inspires the base. Seems beyond belief and a lot can change in 11 months but amazingly Trump is in great shape to win again.

OK stop. Can you back this up with any real data? Because I strongly doubt this is true. I know for a fact that prior to the Mueller report support for impeachment for Trump was never close to that high, and I’d be shocked if it was ever close to that for Obama. Please cite your work, thanks. 
Stop what?  Stating the truth?  The 535 polling was already posted in this thread.  Support for impeachment has been north of 35 percent all year.   Obama had similar numbers throughout his presidency.  

I guess I find it a little hard to believe how Trump's approval may be going up when he attacks a war hero who served in Congress for years by wondering if they are currently in hell.

Why would 2014 be different?  How about 2013?  Obama did nothing to warrant calls for impeachment.  That is the point.  To get to 35 percent is just to get the partisan hacks spun up. 
Eh, Texas voters only. - I see your point, I don't mean to make you belabor it, but if you read your 2014 Politico article you will see it was about the expansion of powers by Obama and I'm guessing that was some time around some of his most controversial executive orders.

I'm not saying you have a bad point about inherent partisanship. It's a good point. And I'll add that after having only one impeachment in our history we now have gone 1974, 1998, and 2019 - or 3 in 45 years. That's not good. It's also possible that Nixon and Trump especially are of a piece, they are both about extreme overreaching of the federal grant of power to the presidency.

I think Clinton stands out on his own. Like everything else with the Clintons it was just a grey area they constantly walked in. - I think Nixon and Trump are similar to each other, they had the same problem. - But I disagree with you that that 1/3rd tier just hating the other side really can be equalized with a Congress that will take that extra step. I think the Politico article also referred to a decent number wanting to impeach Bush. But that works against your argument as obviously Congress did not impeach them. Even the most partisan firebrand can't impeach on nothing, Nixon and Trump both acted obviously extraconstitutionally.

Getting over 40 percent is not that big of a hurdle and certainly not enough for impeachment.
  Currently, 46% support impeachment and removal
Trump Approval Inches Up, While Support for Impeachment Dips
View complete question responses and trends.
Just one other point on this, the tabs are always worth looking at. Nixon started at 19% to impeach, in June 1973. By August 1974, just before the election, it was 58%. If Congress had just listened to those earlier polls he would have stayed in office, they never would have gotten the evidence against him either. Now you could say arguably 35 to 46 is not a big deal, but it's almost just as close as 46 to 58.

From that article

When asked about when Congress should attempt to impeach a president, 79 percent of Americans said it should be used only if there is evidence of a serious crime — such as treason or bribery.
Which article of impeachment they just passed was bribery?

This reminds me of when Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard fg in Tulane Stadium to win the game. The team went on to lose all 6 remaining games to finish 2-11-1 on the  season.

I have no earthly idea how 4 people gave this post their approval. My goodness if we impeach because 40% approve it, we'll be doing this every 4 years.

If we impeach only because 40% think its right rather than because the President commits impeachable offenses then we are screwed.
That's what you've apparently never grasped from the start. if the President does something that warrants impeachment, the support will come. Instead the Dems put on their one-sided show and the support actually decreased. Take the "L" and move on.

That's what you've apparently never grasped from the start. if the President does something that warrants impeachment, the support will come. Instead the Dems out on their one-sided show and the support actually decreased. Take the "L" and move on.
Except he did do something that warranted it...and it happened.

In this day and age of propaganda spreading and divisive nature of things...with a large percentage always supporting him...it may have never come.

The reason to impeach should not be about polling...he did what they claimed.

Users who are viewing this thread