What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trying to get my league to go IDP (1 Viewer)

sos32

Footballguy
I have tried the last two AGM's to get IDP in. I'm in a long standing league, with long time friends. I've got a few owners on board but we need a majority to get IDP in. My guess is some of the nay sayers are the same that have been the upper tier for a a bunch of years, I use the scared idea, they fear a more level playing field for all in the league.

My question is how did many of you get IDP in your league? What was the selling point that won everyone over?

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m not much help here... I had tried to convert 3 leagues.. .none successfully. I ended up dropping those leagues and getting into new ones or existing IDP.

the constant arguments against were: More Time and Like the way things are. I also found that the upper tier teams never wanted to switch it up

I"m not much help here... I had tried to convert 3 leagues.. .none successfully. I ended up dropping those leagues and getting into new ones or existing IDP.the constant arguments against were: More Time and Like the way things are. I also found that the upper tier teams never wanted to switch it up
With me it has been 'I don't know/care about those players' - 'Too much volatility in the scoring' in addition to the above. Maybe try to make a splinter league with some of the same owners and expand on the number of advocates for IDP that way

I"m not much help here... I had tried to convert 3 leagues.. .none successfully. I ended up dropping those leagues and getting into new ones or existing IDP.the constant arguments against were: More Time and Like the way things are. I also found that the upper tier teams never wanted to switch it up
With me it has been 'I don't know/care about those players' - 'Too much volatility in the scoring' in addition to the above. Maybe try to make a splinter league with some of the same owners and expand on the number of advocates for IDP that way
I agree with all this.Better out starting anew league than trying to change. There is also the risk of alienating those who didn't want it and the league falls apart anyway.

There's a Dynasty Guys podcast where one of their experts does a good job stating his case. Go to their website and search for the one with IDP from a couple weeks ago. He makes a good pitch.

I may be in the minority, but I just don't like non IDP. Started out playing IDP in 1996 and have been ever since. Tried a league with team defenses and didn't like it even though I won the league when I was in it, which wasn't for long. Been in the same local IDP league since 1998 and this is it's 20th year.

Good luck, and don't just use 1-2-3 defensive players if your league goes to IDP. The more the better.

Converting a non IDP league to IDP sounds really tough, might just be easier to start a new league, bring along whoever is on board & work hard to fill the rest of your open spots

I agree - better to start a new league, but it's worth it. The IDP experience is so much richer and more fun. I just wouldn't be interested in playing a non-IDP league. My first league was IDP, I tried a couple of 'normal' leagues but there's just no comparison.

I would suggest asking the owners if they have noticed any real changes in most NFL team directions.

We sometimes see a QB play for yrs, thus providing a real team ID. It doesnt appear that WR's seem to be providing this same effect. RB's really can become flav of the day.

Explain to them how you feel adding IDP will establish a real ID to a team, that isnt present now. Explain to them how maybe only one or two teams landed PMan or Farve, well there would be only one team who took a chance on Ray Lewis for example. (Urlacher etc.)

Seventeen yrs worth of MLB, from the guy who was the 5th LB taken in draft. (think you could also add how some RB's play is based on how good the OLine plays) meaning Contracts/trades could dictate how good, how long.

IDP can really depend on a teams makeup (snapcount, how many plays) But youll know when each IDP does his job, every play. Im pretty sure its obvious when specific players are not in the lineup too (similiar to a missing starter on offence)

Anyway thats my argument "Help establish each teams ID" of returning players, similiar to "I play the Rodgers team this wk"

Good luck, and don't just use 1-2-3 defensive players if your league goes to IDP. The more the better.
This is an important point. If you're going to start 2-3 players don't bother at all. IMO fielding a full defense is the way to go. In my league we use formations(4-3-4, 3-4-4 and 3-3-5), milestones and position specific scoring, much like TE enhanced scoring for offense, to try and even out the value difference between the positions a little bit.I personally think it makes the game a lot more interesting and it has served us well for many years. I wouldnt dream of playing in a league with only offense, once you try the full package there's no going back :)

A good thread I can contribute too as my 14 year league is finally going IDP this year.

I really pushed in the early years to go IDP and got heavy resistance so I gave up on it about 10 years ago. Last year at the pre-draft meeting there were some complaints on our keeper system and someone (who has never done IDP) brought up out of the blue how about we add IDPs and thus creates a deeper draft and rosters. Immediately several owners liked the idea. I was pretty much blown away. How to integrate was a sticking point and an IDP vet suggested we hold an IDP "supplemental draft" and we keep the number of IDPs small at first so that everyone gets stud. This passed with 10 of 12 owners voting yes.

So what I crafted up is to do a transition year this year. We will dump team defense leaving 15 rounds for offense. Then starting round 16 we will do IDP only rounds.

We will draft 9 IDPs, 3 at each position DL, LB and DB. We will start 4 (1 each plus 1 flex). No IDP can be kept going into 2013 and we won't allow IDPs to be traded this season either.

In this way we get owners who aren't familiar with IDPs feet wet, but everyone will have studs on their team and the IDP vets won't overwhelm the noobs. Everyone is on board with this plan.

Then in 2013 we go all in fully integrating IDPs into our draft and keeper system and really every aspect of the league. I'll push to expand IDPs to drafting 4 each and start 2 each plus a flex and go from there.

We'll see how it goes! :ph34r:

Seems a really bad idea to try to convert a league. I prefer IDP but I'd rather start a new league instead of converting. Plus some people will be dead set against it. If you wanna go fight the good fight, go save some baby seals.

This is an important point. If you're going to start 2-3 players don't bother at all. IMO fielding a full defense is the way to go. In my league we use formations(4-3-4, 3-4-4 and 3-3-5), milestones and position specific scoring, much like TE enhanced scoring for offense, to try and even out the value difference between the positions a little bit.I personally think it makes the game a lot more interesting and it has served us well for many years. I wouldnt dream of playing in a league with only offense, once you try the full package there's no going back :)
Can be a tall order to get folks to go whole hog off the get. I've found in my experience it can be easier to maybe implement the ol' 2-2-2 with FLEX IDP lineup, and then once folks get their feet wet bump it.I can't imagine why anyone would PREFER team defenses, but there's no accounting for taste, and some folks just hate change for the sake of hating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in 2 leagues one with a full IDP roster, and the other with a limited IDP roster. I would recommend you use the limited option to start. We allow 2 roster positions for a DL, LB, and DB. It is easy and works great.

There are a ton of scoring options, but try t stick to the basics, tackles, sacks, INTS, etc. Good luck!

I started playing IDP 5-6 years ago looking for a new challenge after a few years of standard league play. Now most of the leagues I'm in are IDP.

Just to echo a couple of recent posts, if your league is collectively looking for a new challenge, and/or if you gradually develop it in small steps, you may have a chance. My experience in trying to integrate a standard league was also with my first and oldest league (where we were all friends, did drafts together on a wall, etc etc); my argument was the gradual approach, making 1 LB, 1DB, 1 DP positions and increasing the bench. I had to use analogies like LB is like QB as far as positional importance, SS is usually a good DB, etc. I think you would want to try to share as much information as possible to coach some of your owners to make things fair and competitive. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread