What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From WaPo:

Elon Musk’s Twitter is pushing ahead with plans to charge for content, including videos, on the social media site.
Twitter is working on a feature that would let people post videos and charge users to view them, with the company taking a cut of the proceeds, according to an internal email obtained by The Washington Post. The company appears to be aiming to rush out the feature, referred to as Paywalled Video, with a target of one to two weeks before launch

I have to think WaPo has it wrong. There's no chance imo Twitter is planning to charge it's users to view a video someone posted (unless they want to compete with Onlyfans?). I think there's a bit of a media frenzy going on right now with Musk. I'm extremely distrustful of most of these reports. I don't really even believe Musk's own statements in his tweets based on his track record.

Still working fine for me and I'm taking a 'will believe it when I see it' approach to all this.

I think the point is just that an ordinary user can now get a blue check when they couldn’t before.
My understanding is that the process for getting a blue check is still the same.

1. Verify identity
2. Justify importance (used to be athletes, entertainers, government employees, journalists, etc; then it evolved into anyone deemed an "influencer" could get a blue check if they had x number of followers/engagement and their content/message was in line with what Twitter wanted to promote)

What Musk is changing is requiring blue checks to pay for subscription to Twitter Blue (premium service that has been around for a while and currently costs $5/mo, eliminates ads, provides some customization)

Ordinary people can still sign up for Twitter Blue for the new price of $8/mo but that does not automatically give them a blue check (verified user badge). They would still have to go through the process of verifying their identity and justifying their importance.

It is notable that most of the blue checks angry about Musk are in the "influencer" category and a good chunk of their content is political. The people who use twitter for sports, entertainment, comedy, non-political news, and chatting with their friends don't seem to be affected at all by the changes Musk wants to implement.

have to think WaPo has it wrong. There's no chance imo Twitter is planning to charge it's users to view a video someone posted (unless they want to compete with Onlyfans?). I think there's a bit of a media frenzy going on right now with Musk. I'm extremely distrustful of most of these reports. I don't really even believe Musk's own statements in his tweets based on his track record.

Still working fine for me and I'm taking a 'will believe it when I see it' approach to all this.
This is a lot of speculation for sure and I don’t know if Musk even knows exactly what he will do. He has his own history of saying things and not following through on them as well.

I think the point is just that an ordinary user can now get a blue check when they couldn’t before.
My understanding is that the process for getting a blue check is still the same.

1. Verify identity
2. Justify importance (used to be athletes, entertainers, government employees, journalists, etc; then it evolved into anyone deemed an "influencer" could get a blue check if they had x number of followers/engagement and their content/message was in line with what Twitter wanted to promote)

What Musk is changing is requiring blue checks to pay for subscription to Twitter Blue (premium service that has been around for a while and currently costs $5/mo, eliminates ads, provides some customization)

Ordinary people can still sign up for Twitter Blue for the new price of $8/mo but that does not automatically give them a blue check (verified user badge). They would still have to go through the process of verifying their identity and justifying their importance.

It is notable that most of the blue checks angry about Musk are in the "influencer" category and a good chunk of their content is political. The people who use twitter for sports, entertainment, comedy, non-political news, and chatting with their friends don't seem to be affected at all by the changes Musk wants to implement.
I’m not sure. He is openly saying on Twitter that paying paying for a blue check will end bots and spam. I don’t see how making Tom Brady pay $8 a month for his checkmark does anything for spam or bots. It only cracks down on spam and bots if the general users are paying for it. Or am I missing something?

I don't know you're missing anything. I haven't seen the exact tweet you're referencing where he said it would end bots and spam. That's like saying you'll end crime. I think most everyone assumes there will always be some degree of bots of spam. I'm guessing, again, just a guess, he has some element of this that he hopes will help discourage bots and spam. I'm all for that.

But I also wouldn't expect him to come out with detailed explanation of exactly how it will do this.

I don't know you're missing anything. I haven't seen the exact tweet you're referencing where he said it would end bots and spam. That's like saying you'll end crime. I think most everyone assumes there will always be some degree of bots of spam. I'm guessing, again, just a guess, he has some element of this that he hopes will help discourage bots and spam. I'm all for that.

But I also wouldn't expect him to come out with detailed explanation of exactly how it will do this.
Here are a couple tweets that seem to indicate that he’s leaning towards $8= check. They are replies to tweets so you have to look at both for context.

Here are a couple tweets that seem to indicate that he’s leaning towards $8= check. They are replies to tweets so you have to look at both for context.
So Musk said "exactly" to the following statement:

Pay for blue check verification will solve most of the bot and impersonation problem. Cant hide an infinite amount of anon keyboard warriors behind free accounts.

I don't get it. The only way that statement makes sense, to me, is if everyone using Twitter is verified.

So Musk said "exactly" to the following statement:

Pay for blue check verification will solve most of the bot and impersonation problem. Cant hide an infinite amount of anon keyboard warriors behind free accounts.

I don't get it. The only way that statement makes sense, to me, is if everyone using Twitter is verified.
Maybe that’s his long-term plan.

That seems problematic as well, no? Shouldn't there be a standard, and if met, then acceptance? What's the explanation to a kid who doesn't get in if they have the same exact qualifications as someone who does?
You need a certain GPA, clubs, classes, etc to have a quality resume. However, NHS represents the elite of the elite. So sometimes tough calls have to be made. The NHS committee dig past those incredible
resumes to find small details. Maybe a teacher felt the student didn’t always go the extra mile in class or they had spotty attendance in a club or has used social media to stir drama.

When I attended high school, it was called the "suck club" as you needed to suck up to the teachers. I was encouraged to apply and was given a very vague instructions., needless to say I did not get in. Then for my senior year, I was encouraged to apply again. But for this time that application was completely different, giving what school and community activities that were required. I filled it up and put in the application with what they wanted as I had the absolute requirements. I was surprised when they accepted me. Reform was needed and I got in only because of it. My older sister was very upset as I got but she did not, as she is the brains of the family.

Thanks I think that may be some of the disconnect. I just looked at the first one but when he said "exactly" in reply to "Pay for blue check verification will solve most of the bot and impersonation problem. Cant hide an infinite amount of anon keyboard warriors behind free accounts.", I don't see that as the same as "He is openly saying on Twitter that paying for a blue check will end bots and spam"

But maybe that is what he actually means. We will see.

That could well be. It'll be interesting to see.

I'm sure it's something he's put a good bit of thought into.

On a scale that's a zillionth as big, the anonymity thing is something we have wrestled with here too. There are a few advantages to keeping everyone anonymous. And tons of disadvantages.

When I attended high school, it was called the "suck club" as you needed to suck up to the teachers. I was encouraged to apply and was given a very vague instructions., needless to say I did not get in. Then for my senior year, I was encouraged to apply again. But for this time that application was completely different, giving what school and community activities that were required. I filled it up and put in the application with what they wanted as I had the absolute requirements. I was surprised when they accepted me. Reform was needed and I got in only because of it. My older sister was very upset as I got but she did not, as she is the brains of the family.
Totally off target but yeah it’s always going to be a bit of a suck up club. You have to meet all the standards but then you still have to impress the staff during interviews and teachers have to set forward to vouch for you. At least where I work.

That could well be. It'll be interesting to see.

I'm sure it's something he's put a good bit of thought into.

On a scale that's a zillionth as big, the anonymity thing is something we have wrestled with here too. There are a few advantages to keeping everyone anonymous. And tons of disadvantages.

I still haven’t seen it mentioned whether the new blue check users can use a handle for communicating on Twitter or if they will be forced to use their real names. Anonymity has obvious problems but I assume it would lead to more subscriptions.

Musk has talked about Twitter becoming an “everything” app like WeChat in China but I don’t understand what that entails exactly. No doubt though that big changes will be made to Twitter eventually.
That’s right I forgot about his X App he wants to create that I think he plans to use Twitter to jumpstart. I think the idea if you just log into that and it logs you into all of your other apps, banking, etc so that every app you use and all your financials are linked into 1 place. Sounds convenient but also very dangerous.

Musk has talked about Twitter becoming an “everything” app like WeChat in China but I don’t understand what that entails exactly. No doubt though that big changes will be made to Twitter eventually.
That’s right I forgot about his X App he wants to create that I think he plans to use Twitter to jumpstart. I think the idea if you just log into that and it logs you into all of your other apps, banking, etc so that every app you use and all your financials are linked into 1 place. Sounds convenient but also very dangerous.
:lmao: Yeah, not a chance I go that route. Is that really the proposal?

So convenient! And soon after Musk brings peace to the world unrest that erupts out of Russia/Ukraine, you'll be able to have a microchip on your right hand or forehead that can be scanned to give or receive funds from each app. Every chip will have a unique id code, 3 lines of 6 letters/numbers each...

I'm being sarcastic.

I think.

This is classic Steve Jobs price decoying, yet way less subtle.
So $8 for everyone? Only a matter of time before more charges are built in. A higher level of monthly fee to get replies and posts even more visibility, pay to have access to video posts or pay to be able to reply. Again, I won’t spend anything on Twitter. It will be interesting to see how many people do.

Super interesting since Twitter has become such a major part of the information pathway for the world. This disruption to it will be worth watching for sure. I have enjoyed Twitter but I think I am rooting for it to fail? I’m a little torn.

I was more referring to him saying it was going to be $20 per month and then the next day reducing it to $8. What a deal!!!

Just saw this on twitter. Definitely one of those things that makes you go hmmm…….

Welcome to Twitter, where the richest man in the world is begging you for money

Charging for a service is "begging for money"?

He very well may be miscalculating how much value people place on the product he offers. And if they'll pay.

But I don't understand the "begging for money" part of that. Can you elaborate?

Last edited:
He RT’d a message saying entitled elites are just mad that anyone can pay $8 for a check mark now. So I think that confirms it’s anyone will be able to have a check if they pay.

Just saw this on twitter. Definitely one of those things that makes you go hmmm…….

Welcome to Twitter, where the richest man in the world is begging you for money

Charging for a service is "begging for money"?

He very well may be miscalculating how much value people place on the product he offers. And if they'll pay.

But I don't understand the "begging for money" part of that. Can you elaborate?
You’re overthinking my post GB. I just found it ironically funny.

facebook didnt get to 1 trillion dollars in cap based on people stalking old girlfriends it got there because it harvested data and sold it to companies who used it for god knows what take that to the bank brohans

the name of the game in social media is information that they gather about users and the best saying i ever heard about it is that if you arent paying for the product then you are the product take that to the bank brohans
Twitter users will be the product whether they pay or not.

id bet twitter gets that same data but i dont know that it was connected as specifically to individual users as facebook was but now look at the potential for gross profits you have money coming in from users you are still gathering marketable data and now you can connect it to individuals and then sell that whole package fellas thats big brother run amok and im out if that happens take that to the bank brochachos

Never had a twitter account and don't plan on joining. Those that don't like Musk or the changes he makes should just stop using it. Pretty simple

Word.

I guess - of course this is the case? I think that's what everyone is discussing here. Many of us like Twitter and hope to continue using it, but obviously will switch to something else if we don't like the changes under new ownership. Agreed it is "pretty simple" and an accurate summary of the obvious from a guy who never uses Twitter and doesn't plan to.

Its also a pretty fascinating business/law story that's been interesting to follow.

twitter is really great for sports and if it does go to a pay for play hyper monetized model i hope something can fill in that void it is a lot like a good ffa thread when a current event is happening in that it is a tremendous aggregator i just dont want to see something like facebook or instagram hell where you have to use an app and the whole point is to monitor you take that to the bank brochachos

If you're selective about how you use it and who you follow I think Twitter is a fantastic tool. And if you're seeing a ton of crap it's user error.

I use tons of products without knowing jack about the owner. If Twitter keeps working for me, I'll use it even though I think little of Musk and am amused by the fact he was forced into the to honor the purchase agreement at an inflated market cost by the courts. The network effect on these platforms is huge and really hard to overcome.

Never had a twitter account and don't plan on joining. Those that don't like Musk or the changes he makes should just stop using it. Pretty simple
Yes, but also no. Ultimately users can vote with their feet as they say. But I see nothing wrong with current users voicing their opinion on a product. It can serve both as possibly feedback to the owner/company as well as informational for other users or potential users to help them make educated choices on whether they want to use that service or not.

This seems like an odd decision. It appears like Musk is trying to both increase profitability (increasing subscribers, mass layoffs) and radically change the product (the everything app). I don't see how he accomplishes the 2nd goal with mass layoffs.
The everything app?

Seems like all he needs to do is get people to stop using Apple Pay and Google Wallet, and credit card apps, and Amazon app for shopping.

What's the problem?

I always thought the purpose of the blue checkmark was to confirm it was the real person / company because they had problems with parody and fake accounts. If anybody can buy one and then uses a similar name it's going to cause cunfusion. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin or China buys thousands of these verified accounts to spread propaganda / disinformation.

I haven't noticed any differences since Musk took over.

I guess - of course this is the case? I think that's what everyone is discussing here. Many of us like Twitter and hope to continue using it, but obviously will switch to something else if we don't like the changes under new ownership. Agreed it is "pretty simple" and an accurate summary of the obvious from a guy who never uses Twitter and doesn't plan to.

Its also a pretty fascinating business/law story that's been interesting to follow.

Yes. I think that's pretty obvious. I agree for sure it's been an interesting story to follow.

Musk taking on another project like this is fun from the "Can a business level GOAT do it again with another difficult industry?" angle. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sure, some of the discourse online is just the "What an idiot ELON is!!! LOLZ!" But there seems to be some real thought in how it might play. I thought this was interesting https://www.thespl.it/p/elons-twitter

We'll see.

I always thought the purpose of the blue checkmark was to confirm it was the real person / company because they had problems with parody and fake accounts. If anybody can buy one and then uses a similar name it's going to cause cunfusion. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin or China buys thousands of these verified accounts to spread propaganda / disinformation.

I haven't noticed any differences since Musk took over.
You’ll have to prove who you are to get a verified account. If they have their systems right, Russia and China shouldn’t be able to do that.

He RT’d a message saying entitled elites are just mad that anyone can pay $8 for a check mark now. So I think that confirms it’s anyone will be able to have a check if they pay.
It will be like the Star Bellied Sneetches where it will be cool not to have the check mark (since everyone can get one).

Last edited:
You’re overthinking my post GB. I just found it ironically funny.

Thanks. But what part is "begging for money"?
Joe, are you really trying to dissect a joke? I don’t get why you keep coming at this. A platform thats currently not charging is asking to charge, the joke is that’s begging for money. Said platform is also currently owned by the richest man in the world. That’s the irony, I don’t know how else to explain it to you.

Joe, are you really trying to dissect a joke? I don’t get why you keep coming at this. A platform thats currently not charging is asking to charge, the joke is that’s begging for money. Said platform is also currently owned by the richest man in the world. That’s the irony, I don’t know how else to explain it to you.

Wasn't trying to dissect anything. I didn't understand the idea that Musk was begging for money by charging a price. That seems like normal business. So I asked. Didn't mean for it to be "coming at" anything. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread