What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Two murderers escape from NYS high security prison (1 Viewer)

Sweat shot twice in the torso and taken into custody.

Stupid question maybe, but on what authority are the cops able to just shoot these guys? The one guy today was in a field and started running away and sounds like the cop shot him from behind. Are cops authorized to use deadly force in these circumstances? (I'm not opposed, but it's just weird to me that people aren't asking these questions on TV).

PS this second guy was a cop killer, maybe all the cops had a wink wink understanding that they don't take him alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweat shot and in custody
This article has him being shot in the shoulder and a little bit later that he's shot twice in the head

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/new-york-prison-escape/david-sweat-new-york-prison-escapee-shot-captured-near-canadian-n383411

This

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/nyregion/second-new-york-prison-escapee-shot.html?_r=0

says it's unclear but the pic looks like shoulder, not head shots
The article says he took off running and the cop shot him. Is that normal procedure? Seems like if some one is running away you're NOT supposed to shoot them. Is the law different for escaped convicts?

ETA: I see Otis just posted the exact same thing I did mere minutes apart.

This article has him being shot in the shoulder and a little bit later that he's shot twice in the headhttp://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/new-york-prison-escape/david-sweat-new-york-prison-escapee-shot-captured-near-canadian-n383411

This

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/nyregion/second-new-york-prison-escapee-shot.html?_r=0

The article says he took off running and the cop shot him. Is that normal procedure? Seems like if some one is running away you're NOT supposed to shoot them. Is the law is different for escaped convicts?
Funny, look up one post. I had the same question. It's been 15 years since I've taken criminal law, but I don't remember there being a reason you can use deadly force in this situation.

This article has him being shot in the shoulder and a little bit later that he's shot twice in the headhttp://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/new-york-prison-escape/david-sweat-new-york-prison-escapee-shot-captured-near-canadian-n383411

This

The article says he took off running and the cop shot him. Is that normal procedure? Seems like if some one is running away you're NOT supposed to shoot them. Is the law is different for escaped convicts?
Funny, look up one post. I had the same question. It's been 15 years since I've taken criminal law, but I don't remember there being a reason you can use deadly force in this situation.
:)

Seriously, though, should we expect to see the same level of outrage we've seen in other threads?

There were other threads about escaped copkillers getting gunned down met w outrage?
Does it matter if he's a cop killer or not? That's what I'm asking. Are the laws different for escaped convicts getting shot while running away than, say, alleged suspects fleeing a crime?

David Sweat's mother is being interviewed now on CNN. Poor thing. Started when he was 9 when he flew off the handle when his dad got him a used pole and tackle box. Threw a baseball bat through a window hoping to hit his dad. Missed so broke the tv instead. Sounds like she tried the best she could by calling police each time he was violent to them.

David Sweat's mother is being interviewed now on CNN. Poor thing. Started when he was 9 when he flew off the handle when his dad got him a used pole and tackle box. Threw a baseball bat through a window hoping to hit his dad. Missed so broke the tv instead. Sounds like she tried the best she could by calling police each time he was violent to them.
This is where we need more social program funding. Parents are basically not equipped to handle the crazy, particulary poor or the lower middle class that only have time to make ends meet.

Time and time again these parents know they have a bad seed, try to address it as best they can, but when these kids get old enough they start committing crimes when their parents have less control/influence.

It was the same story for the mass shooter in Denver and the same for the mass shooter in AZ when Congresswoman Giffords was shot.

We need to build a program that deals with these bad seeds. Right now it's kind of the Wild Wild West once these sickos hit their late teenage years.

This is where we need more social program funding. Parents are basically not equipped to handle the crazy, particulary poor or the lower middle class that only have time to make ends meet.

Time and time again these parents know they have a bad seed, try to address it as best they can and then when they get old enough they start committing crimes when their parents have less control/influence.

It was the same story for the mass shooter in Denver and the same for the mass shooter in AZ when the congresswoman was shot.

We need to build a program that deals with these bad seeds...right now it's kind of the Wild Wild West once these sickos hit their late teenage years.
Lots of bad seeds over in the Hillary Clinton thread gushing all over her. Let's start with them. ;)

No idea about the law, but guessing with a convicted cop killer escapee thought to be armed and dangerous, they are less likely to wait and see if he shoots somebody in the face first, and more likely to use deadly force if the fugitive does ANYTHING but stop, raise his hands and obviously surrender. There were a lot of people on the search, so if he was surrounded, the phrase "running away" kind of ceases to have meaning. Wherever he ran, it sounds like he was simultaneously running TOWARDS someone else. Risking another murder by erring on the side of caution and restraint doesn't sound justified in this case.

NOT on the hospital menu for the captured escapee - saw blade/drill bit-stuffed burgers.

The first guy was holding a gun so I can see why they just blew him away when he wouldn't drop it. I think the second guy being shot despite apparently not being armed and running away brings up some interesting questions. That being said, I'm not upset he was shot twice to keep him from getting away.

This

Wanted stuff on facebook(which looked legit) had "considered armed and dangerous." Assuming it's true, does that give cops a green light?

Stupid question maybe, but on what authority are the cops able to just shoot these guys? The one guy today was in a field and started running away and sounds like the cop shot him from behind. Are cops authorized to use deadly force in these circumstances? (I'm not opposed, but it's just weird to me that people aren't asking these questions on TV).
All the cop has to say is "I thought he was running to get a gun to shoot me with."

As far as shooting the guy running away, a very good friend of mine that has served in SWAT as a sniper and otherwise explains it like this. If the police feel there is a reasonable chance that the fleeing person will injure others in getting away, then they will treat it with deadly force. The example used which happened here in my city is of a young man wielding a sword that did not obey police commands to put it down and to stand still. He turned and ran towards a store that had a number of people inside. They shot and killed him. Regardless of the intent of the person shot, I see the reasoning. You can imagine the hell that the police would have to pay if he got away and went on and killed others. It was truly a difficult decision and certainly the right one in this case.

Are people really comparing these to other cop shooting situations? These guys were already convicted murderers that escaped from prison. There is no more innocent until proven guilty. Every citizen they could've come across was potentially in imminent danger.

It isn't like they blew him up sight unseen with an RPG or drone hellfire missile. He could have surrendered (than again, it seems like jail doesn't agree with how his personality is constituted).

OTOH, once he ran, they weren't going to try and "wing him" by hitting his small toe to disable him.

Are people really comparing these to other cop shooting situations? These guys were already convicted murderers that escaped from prison. There is no more innocent until proven guilty. Every citizen they could've come across was potentially in imminent danger.
Simmer down all. I was just curious. I'm not complaining. I'm glad they did it. TIA

This

Apparently in NY it's legal: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/29/us/new-york-prison-break/index.html

"Article 35 of the (New York) penal law permits you to use deadly physical force to stop a fleeing felon who is either charged with a felony or convicted of a felony," Gavin said. "So the police officer was spot on."

PS this second guy was a cop killer, maybe all the cops had a wink wink understanding that they don't take him alive.
:lmao: He's a escaped convicted murderer.

#EscapedConvictsLivesMatter

Malone, New York (CNN)David Sweat and Richard Matt planned to head to Mexico after busting out of Clinton Correctional Facility more than three weeks ago, but had to improvise after the prison tailor accused of aiding them failed to show up to give them a ride, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told a New York radio program Monday, citing statements reportedly made by Sweat to investigators.

"They would kill (tailor Joyce) Mitchell's husband, and then get in the car and drive to Mexico on the theory that Mitchell was in love with one or both of them," Cuomo told "The Capitol Pressroom" radio program. "And then they would go live happily ever after, which is a fairy tale that I wasn't read as a child. But we all believe what we want to believe."
God what a cuunt.

All the cop has to say is "I thought he was running to get a gun to shoot me with."
From a distance Pop Tarts can look like a gun.

From a distance Pop Tarts can look like a gun.
I've been saying this for years.

No idea what the law is, but would think the prisoner lost the right of freedom, and the police would have no different rights than guards at the prison have if a prisoner was scaling the walls trying to escape. Have to believe escaping/escaped murderer is always going to be considered a public at risk and 'shoot at will' scenario.

Anybody see the news story on CNN about another convicted murderer escaping in North Carolina with the help of a correctional officer he was having sex with? He's caught, because they're both stupid, but the timing is curious.

No idea what the law is, but would think the prisoner lost the right of freedom, and the police would have no different rights than guards at the prison have if a prisoner was scaling the walls trying to escape. Have to believe escaping/escaped murderer is always going to be considered a public at risk and 'shoot at will' scenario.
I believe the law is you can use deadly force on a fleeing felon if they pose an immediate danger to the community, or something like that.

I believe the law is you can use deadly force on a fleeing felon if they pose an immediate danger to the community, or something like that.
Would think it is a lower standard even than that, as I'd think they can fire at guys scaling the inside of prison walls even if the prison is on an island. Otherwise there are a lot of useless armed men in watch towers.

Yes. And the fact that they were KNOWN violent felons, the burden is much much lower. Any police/person that came into contact with them most definitely could presume they posed a threat to others if they were allowed to continue their flight.

Would think it is a lower standard even than that, as I'd think they can fire at guys scaling the inside of prison walls even if the prison is on an island. Otherwise there are a lot of useless armed men in watch towers.
Yeah, those guys can shoot, because it's presumed that an escaped convict is an immediate danger to everyone.

Anybody see the news story on CNN about another convicted murderer escaping in North Carolina with the help of a correctional officer he was having sex with? He's caught, because they're both stupid, but the timing is curious.
Saw that. It's incredible how the end game is never even considered. Just "break out and try to wing it".

Or, in the correctional officer's case, "help them break out and nobody will know!"

I didn't mean just for escaped convicts. I took a couple of police courses back in college some 20 years ago, so I might be remembering wrong, or the laws have changed, but I thought that was the gist of when an officer could use deadly force.

Not a stupid question....Apparently if you have been convicted of a crime you are eligible to be shot in the back even if you are unarmed. As opposed to committing a crime and not yet convicted...One cop is considered a hero the other a murderer...

Saw that. It's incredible how the end game is never even considered. Just "break out and try to wing it".

Or, in the correctional officer's case, "help them break out and nobody will know!"
I just don't get why correctional officers keep having sex with inmates. Is it the whole bad-boy thing, what? Not to mention that they keep track of how many inmates are in the facility, and they know what cell they're in. Now you ruined your own life for a dumb reason.

I will say that I can understand why the inmate wants to get out, it is prison, after all. But escaping just leads to so many more problems than it solves. Even if you manage to evade the initial search, you're going to go the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, looking for any law enforcement officer that might have recognized you. Just pay your debt to society and go on your merry way, the alternative seems like too much of a hassle.

I just don't get why correctional officers keep having sex with inmates. Is it the whole bad-boy thing, what? Not to mention that they keep track of how many inmates are in the facility, and they know what cell they're in. Now you ruined your own life for a dumb reason.

I will say that I can understand why the inmate wants to get out, it is prison, after all. But escaping just leads to so many more problems than it solves. Even if you manage to evade the initial search, you're going to go the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, looking for any law enforcement officer that might have recognized you. Just pay your debt to society and go on your merry way, the alternative seems like too much of a hassle.
unless you got life with no parole. At that point you got nothing to lose

Yeah, those guys can shoot, because it's presumed that an escaped convict is an immediate danger to everyone.
Agreed. Point being if they are an immediate threat to everyone while climbing the walls inside a prison on an island, that threat can't do anything but increase once they are outside the walls and into free society. They are, after all, in continuation of an escape attempt until caught.

I blame Orange in the new Black.

We should probably protest it and demand Netflix remove it from production

I blame Orange in the new Black.

We should probably protest it and demand Netflix remove it from production
Never seen it, but if you want to, go ahead. But that problem goes back to before that show came on.

Users who are viewing this thread