What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (3 Viewers)

I shouldn't bet on fights ever again, according to this card.

Also, the judges who gave that fight to Sherk should never ref a fight again. Not surprised at all to see that Cecil Peoples was part of the judging committee.

Last edited by a moderator:
UFC press conference if anybody is interested:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20793/watch-toni...ajunkie-com.mma

No KO of the night, but sub went to CB Dalloway, and he gave out 2 fight of the nights. One to Beltran-Mitrione and i think the other went to Guillard-Stephens.
Huh. Wonder if they just didn't want to justify anything to do with the Sherk/Dunham decision, but I thought that fight was infinitely more exciting than Guillard/Stephens.

No KO of the night, but sub went to CB Dalloway, and he gave out 2 fight of the nights. One to Beltran-Mitrione and i think the other went to Guillard-Stephens.
Huh. Wonder if they just didn't want to justify anything to do with the Sherk/Dunham decision, but I thought that fight was infinitely more exciting than Guillard/Stephens.
I must have misheard because Dana said later that Dunham-Sherk was the fight of the night.

I must have misheard because Dana said later that Dunham-Sherk was the fight of the night.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Yup, I guess Guillard-Stephens didn't get any rewards: UFC 119 bonuses: Sherk, Dunham, Mitrione, Beltran, Dollaway earn $70K awards

How could there be no KO of the night? Was he just pissed at Mir for screwing around for 15 minutes?

How could there be no KO of the night? Was he just pissed at Mir for screwing around for 15 minutes?
That would be my guess

D White loves to send messages like that, not just to the fighters from tonight but his entire roster

Yup, I guess Guillard-Stephens didn't get any rewards: UFC 119 bonuses: Sherk, Dunham, Mitrione, Beltran, Dollaway earn $70K awards
I hope Dunham gets his victory bonus too. It's ridiculous that Sherk got that decision, but it's even more ridiculous that one of those judges scored it 30-27 Sherk. There is just no way you could possibly give him the third round.

I'm not really seeing the contraversy in the Sherk fight. Sherk took round 1. Dunham got the 3rd. 2nd was close. People I was watching with all thought sherk won. 30-27 is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not really seeing the contraversy in the Sherk fight. Sherk took round 1. Dunham got the 3rd. 2nd was close. People I was watching with all thought sherk won. 30-27 is a bit ridiculous.
:goodposting: If you could take the fight as a whole, Dunham won. However, on a round-by-round look, either fighter winning is reasonable.The big thing I'm taking from this event is that the Nogs are no longer relevant. It's kind of a bummer for me. Oh well.

Little late, and no offense, but I still don't see how anyone actually watching the fight could score it for Sherk. I agree with Cliff that Sherk clearly won round one, and Dunham clearly won round 3. However, I didn't think round 2 was particularly close. Rewatched it just to make sure I'm not crazy, and came away with the same impression. What, exactly, did Sherk do to pull ahead in that round? Dunham was more aggressive and landed better shots both in the standup and in the clinch, and whenever Sherk did take him down, not only did Dunham have a choke attempt locked in, but Sherk did nothing on top, and Dunham quickly got back up after each one. It wasn't an "it could have gone either way" round to me.

At any rate, I'm amped about tonight's WEC 51 show, which has the potential to be just as good as 48 and 49, or even better. Picks in bold.

-WEC FW Title: Jose Aldo, Jr © vs. Manvel Gamburyan

-LW: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone

-BW: Miguel Angel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia

-FW: Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop

-FW: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

-FW: Tie Quan Zhang vs. Pablo Garza

-FW: Mike Brown vs. Cole Province

-LW: Chris Horodecki vs. Ed Ratcliff

-FW: Tyler Toner vs. Diego Nunes

-BW: Antonio Banuelos vs. Chad George

-BW: Demetrious Johnson vs. Nick Pace

Have been in en fuego with the MMA gambling as of late, and let me begin to lose all of the money i made recently tonight:

Mark Hominick -200: 1.75 units. I have been a fan of Hominick's for awhile, I think we know what both bring to the table, and Hominick should win this one

George Roop +250: .5 unit. I'm a pretty big Korean Zombie nut hugger, but Roop is game and at this price he is worth a shot

Tiequan Zhang -150: .75 unit. I am going with the theory here that Zuffa/WEC didn't bring Zhang into lose, and i know Garza is taking this on days notice.

Tyler Toner +135: .75 unit.

I may put a little more out there as well. I really don't like Varner, but i think he wins this tonight. I hope to find any good bet i can put on Aldo to win. Less than 2.5 rounds, TKO, whatever. Manny has looked impressive as of late, but i would be shocked to see Aldo lose this, but -650 is out of my price range.

Parlayed Hominick and Brown for 1u. Will add a 1u play on Jamie Varner as we get closer to fight time, I expect the line to continue to drop.

Hominick MUCH sharper with his striking. Never really unleashed, but he was landing all fight long while Garcia flailed, landing very few clean shots.

Hominick MUCH sharper with his striking. Never really unleashed, but he was landing all fight long while Garcia flailed, landing very few clean shots.
Hominick has had a strange career, but the 2nd and 3rd round looked like an experienced fighter messing around with a little kid. I hope to see Hominick continue to improve his game and i think he will contend against the tops in the division. Speaking of which, i don't know how the WEC can fold their 155 division. They have a lot of legit guys in that division, i think it would be a mistaske for them to fold the 155 in the UFC. I don't think it harms anybody for now to have a 155 in the UFC and WEC, and i would rather see them just go ahead and start the 125 division.

I never would have guessed that Miguel Torres fights out of "Montreal, Quebec, Canada". i wonder if he is training with GSP, I see he has Firas in his corner, could be a step up in Miguel's career

Great fight from Torres. I love the viciousness of his shots once he senses an opportunity.
I'm curious to see how he develops under Firas. If he can get his wrestling anywhere near GSP (didn't help K-Flo too much) he could be a legit force in the division again.

They said Torres is training with GSP and living in Firas' basement.

Anyone else want to see WEC pick up Efrian Escudero?

:goodposting: he picked Leonard apart with that jab all night.great event as usual from the WEC - I was real happy to see Torres and the Cowboy win their fights. Aldo is just a straight beast - I thought Manny would at least be able to get inside on him and get a takedown or two on sheer power, but he never really had a chance. I think if Aldo's gonna get beat it's gonna have to be from someone who shoots in from the opening bell and gets him on the ground right away, because if you stand with him for any amount of time he's just going to brutalize you with leg kicks until you're seriously hobbled.

How is it possible that Leonard Garcia, no matter what, manages to always look favorable in judge's eyes? Can't believe that was a split decision. Something to certainly take into account when betting against Garcia - especially if you've got to lay a lot of chalk. Something about his "throw everything I've got into every strike, no matter how wildly innacurate it is" style that must make judges thing he's doing better than he really is.

How is it possible that Leonard Garcia, no matter what, manages to always look favorable in judge's eyes? Can't believe that was a split decision. Something to certainly take into account when betting against Garcia - especially if you've got to lay a lot of chalk. Something about his "throw everything I've got into every strike, no matter how wildly innacurate it is" style that must make judges thing he's doing better than he really is.
just watching this card now. One judge with 29-28 for Garcia? What ####### fight are they looking at here? :thumbdown:

Yeah, it's pretty bad that despite Hominick dominating the fight, I figured the judges might still screw it up. At least the right man won.

Great show. You know you're a killer when you've barely defended the belt twice and there's already people clamoring for you to move up 'cause there's no challenges left.

just watching this card now. One judge with 29-28 for Garcia? What ####### fight are they looking at here? :loco:
The judging for the entire event was off. I don't know if it was because it was in Arizona and maybe their athletic commission is a little green with some of this, but you have the Horodecki-Ratcliff fight end in a split decision with one judge giving Ratcliff the fight with 29-28, and the other 2 giving it to Horodecki 30-27. How to 2 judges see one fighter win all 3 rounds, and the other does not even think he won the fight?

I know it's K1, but Overeem is a bad dude.
yes he is. I love how him and Dana are friendly and on good terms, and how Overeem always speaks highly of the UFC. I have no faith in Fedor doing a whole lot more in Strikeforce (he is running for some government seat, and has said if he gets it he wants to devote all of his time to that), Werdum is out until next Spring, and who knows if Barnett can even pass a test anymore after he has failed 3 of them. Seeing Overeem against the top HWYs in the UFC will be a lot of fun

Diaz is going to whoop KJ's ### tonight.

Thinking about betting against Woodley. He was far from impressive in his last fight. Doesn't deserve to be that big a favorite.

Thoughts on UFC 120?

I'm planning on putting some on Condit +145

Again going with my "wrestling advantage" theory. Condit gets Hardy in the same subs that GSP did and Hardy isn't going to have an arm.

UFC 120 is pretty uninspiring especially with 121 right around the corner. I guess I want to see the Hardy fight but other than that pretty lack luster.

Condit seems like a good pick but he has to finish, I don't see Hardy losing any close decision in England.

hooter311 said:
Thoughts on UFC 120?

I'm planning on putting some on Condit +145

Again going with my "wrestling advantage" theory. Condit gets Hardy in the same subs that GSP did and Hardy isn't going to have an arm.
I like the play. Condit has been talking a lot about what he's going to do to Hardy. Meanwhile, Hardy has been talking a lot about deserving some big name fighter for his next match. I don't think Hardy is good enough to overlook someone as good as Condit.
Smiles&Cries said:
UFC 120 is pretty uninspiring especially with 121 right around the corner.
They made the price good though. :heart:

Condit/Hardy should rule. Two top fighters with crazy killer instinct is always a good combination, and it's a shame one has to lose. I'll pull for Condit, since Hardy's takedown defense has never been a strength, and he'll be in deep trouble :rogan: if he has to work from the bottom against Condit.

Yeah, the 120 lineup isn't exactly star-studded, but they put together some fun fights and 121 next week is the real deal.

Abrantes said:
Condit/Hardy should rule. Two top fighters with crazy killer instinct is always a good combination, and it's a shame one has to lose. I'll pull for Condit, since Hardy's takedown defense has never been a strength, and he'll be in deep trouble :rogan: if he has to work from the bottom against Condit.

Yeah, the 120 lineup isn't exactly star-studded, but they put together some fun fights and 121 next week is the real deal.
In the mix for best card yet, imo.I'm not sold on Hardy's power as a striker. Condit doesn't have the best striking defense and tends to take a beating more than he should. Hardy hasn't fought a great wrestler yet, Condit isn't a great wrestler but I think he does have what it takes. Hardy gets sloppy on the ground, his strengths are giving and taking a beating. I was really impressed by the heart of Condit in his last fight. Neither of these guys will quit easy.

Also like Patrick, but the line is a little high for my taste at -170. Feel the same about Bisping at -200, but I have very little doubt that fight goes the distance which will probably be my play.

In the mix for best card yet, imo.I'm not sold on Hardy's power as a striker. Condit doesn't have the best striking defense and tends to take a beating more than he should. Hardy hasn't fought a great wrestler yet, Condit isn't a great wrestler but I think he does have what it takes. Hardy gets sloppy on the ground, his strengths are giving and taking a beating. I was really impressed by the heart of Condit in his last fight. Neither of these guys will quit easy.

Also like Patrick, but the line is a little high for my taste at -170. Feel the same about Bisping at -200, but I have very little doubt that fight goes the distance which will probably be my play.
I have slept on this event and am not up to speed with everybody fighting. I have some past plays i put in and a few props here or there:Props (at 5dimes :thumbup: ):

Akiyama/Bisping goes 3 round distance -140

Hathaway wins by 3 rd. decision +200

Condit/Hardy FON award +200

Also grabbed:

Hardy -155 for 1.75 units (will probably buy out of it a bit. I like Hardy in this spot, but not overwhelmingly)

Sexyama +190 for .75 unit (and I am a Bisping fan too. I just think the fight is closer to 50/50, and the odds are off on this one)

Cyrille Diabate ev for .5 unit

Nothing i like too much really. I think the Akiyama/Bisping going the distance is what i like the best betting wise. I think most of the bets have to be in by noon tomorrow for the EST folks.

EDIT: I have actually been on a killer tear with my MMA picks lately so i wish i looked into this one some more. I like all of my prop bets more then the fighter bets

Man, i have been sick all week and have not been watching the MMA lines. A lot opened for the 121 card, and from what I am reading they have moved a lot out of my favor. I got a bunch on Brock from when it opened, and I also had a little on Hammill, and just added the following:

Matt Hamill -170

Shaub +155 over Gonzaga (heard he opened near +190 :jawdrop: )

Paulo Thiago -120 over Diego Sanchez (heard he opened around +150 :thumbdown: )

Sam Stout -150

also will likely put plays in on Lawlor and Kampmann, but hope the lines moev in my direction on those.

GSP is a pretty decent wrestler.

Users who are viewing this thread