What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Un-Official Saints 2008 Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Snot Bubbler

Footballguy
Okay, let's talk about the Saints' plans for 2008. Though it had its rough spots, the Saints offense was better than average in 2007. The running game suffered a huge blow when Deuce was lost for the year. While everyone hoped that Reggie would step up and shoulder the load, it just never happened. Reggie ended the season (albeit 4 games early) with 581 yards on 157 carries (3.7 YPC) and 417 yards on 73 receptions (5.7 YPR) for a total of 6 touchdowns. The only offensive success they had was throwing the ball, and they did it A LOT. In fact, Brees lead the league in completions and attempts (440/652), however he was 21st in the league in Yards per Attempt (6.78). I can remember several games constantly yelling at him to THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD! Amazingly, despite leading the league in pass attempts, the Saints offensive line allowed the fewest sacks of any team (just 16).

#12 in Points per Game at 23.7

#4 in Total Yards per Game at 361.3

#28 in Rushing Yards per Game at 91.6

#3 in Passing Yards per Game at 269.7

The Saints defense in 2007 was definitely the Achilles Heel. Last offseason the Saints brought in free agents CB Jason David, LB Brian Simmons, and S Kevin Kaesviharn to shore up the defense. Well it didn't work, Jason David was burned for about 30 touchdowns, Kaesviharn was a non-factor, and Simmons couldn't win a starting job.

#25 in Points per Game at 24.3

#26 in Total Yards per Game at 348.1

#13 in Rushing Yards per Game at 102.9

#30 in Passing Yards per Game at 245.3

So what areas do the Saints need to address the offseason via free agency and the draft?

I think they have to spend most of the money/top picks on defense, especially LBs and CBs.

Round 1 possibilities have to include:

ILB James Laurinaitis - Ohio St

OLB Dan Conner - Penn St

OLB Keith Rivers - USC

CB Mike Jenkins - USF

CB Malcolm Jenkins - Ohio St

CB Antoine Cason - Arizona

CB Aqib Talib - Kansas

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much agree with you about upgrading the Saints D. Nothing Payton and Loomis tried last year to help out the defense worked, so some money has to be spent there.

Deuce needs to come back in a big way, Copper and Henderson need to go, and Payton needs to quit trying cute, stupid trick plays at bad times.

I pretty much agree with you about upgrading the Saints D. Nothing Payton and Loomis tried last year to help out the defense worked, so some money has to be spent there.

Deuce needs to come back in a big way, Copper and Henderson need to go, and Payton needs to quit trying cute, stupid trick plays at bad times.
I definitely agree with this because the Saints have already sunk so much money into their two-headed backfield that there is no way they add another top RB to the mix. I believe Aaron Stecker is a free agent now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he parts ways with them, too. Pierre Thomas looked good in limited action late in the year.2007 Stats

Aaron Stecker 115ru / 448yds / 3.9YPC / 5TD / 36rec / 211yds / 5.9YPR

Pierre Thomas 52ru / 252tds / 4.8YPC / 1TD / 17rec / 151yds / 8.9 YPR / 1TD

I definitely agree with this because the Saints have already sunk so much money into their two-headed backfield that there is no way they add another top RB to the mix. I believe Aaron Stecker is a free agent now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he parts ways with them, too. Pierre Thomas looked good in limited action late in the year.2007 Stats

Aaron Stecker 115ru / 448yds / 3.9YPC / 5TD / 36rec / 211yds / 5.9YPR

Pierre Thomas 52ru / 252tds / 4.8YPC / 1TD / 17rec / 151yds / 8.9 YPR / 1TD
I still think that Deuce is a good candidate to be cut if he isn't willing to restructure. He's due to make a whole lot of money for a guy with two bad wheels. One way or another, there will be a bruiser, between the tackles runner to complement Reggie. While I liked PThomas, it wouldn't surprise me to see a first day RB pick from the Saints.I'm know we were looking at AJ Hawk in the '06 draft, so taking a LB seems like a decent possibility, and there are several places predicting a heavy push towards Asante Samuel, eliminating the hole in Jason David and the need to look at Jenkins in the first. I'm not totally sure I agree with this call, but could work out I guess.

I still think that Deuce is a good candidate to be cut if he isn't willing to restructure. He's due to make a whole lot of money for a guy with two bad wheels. One way or another, there will be a bruiser, between the tackles runner to complement Reggie. While I liked PThomas, it wouldn't surprise me to see a first day RB pick from the Saints.I'm know we were looking at AJ Hawk in the '06 draft, so taking a LB seems like a decent possibility, and there are several places predicting a heavy push towards Asante Samuel, eliminating the hole in Jason David and the need to look at Jenkins in the first. I'm not totally sure I agree with this call, but could work out I guess.
Where can we find out the remaining length and $$$ on Deuce's contract? And Stecker's and Thomas's, too. Asante Samuel would be sweet. Maybe the Saints get Jason David to restructure his contract ala Fred Thomas in '07...

Where can we find out the remaining length and $$$ on Deuce's contract? And Stecker's and Thomas's, too. Asante Samuel would be sweet. Maybe the Saints get Jason David to restructure his contract ala Fred Thomas in '07...
McAllister:7/29/2005: Signed an eight-year, $50.1 million contract extension through 2012. The deal includes $12.5 million in bonuses. 2007: $2.6 million (+ $1 million roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus), 2008: $3.6 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2009: $5.2 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2010: $6.2 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus, 2011: $7.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2012: $8.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2013: Free AgentStecker:3/4/2004: Signed a four-year, $4.4 million contract. The deal included a $650,000 signing bonus. 2007: $1,250,000, 2008: Free Agent Thomas:5/2/2007: Signed a three-year contract. 2007-2009: Under Contract, 2010: Restricted Free Agent

I still think that Deuce is a good candidate to be cut if he isn't willing to restructure. He's due to make a whole lot of money for a guy with two bad wheels. One way or another, there will be a bruiser, between the tackles runner to complement Reggie. While I liked PThomas, it wouldn't surprise me to see a first day RB pick from the Saints.

I'm know we were looking at AJ Hawk in the '06 draft, so taking a LB seems like a decent possibility, and there are several places predicting a heavy push towards Asante Samuel, eliminating the hole in Jason David and the need to look at Jenkins in the first. I'm not totally sure I agree with this call, but could work out I guess.
McAllister:7/29/2005: Signed an eight-year, $50.1 million contract extension through 2012. The deal includes $12.5 million in bonuses.

2007: $2.6 million (+ $1 million roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus),

2008: $3.6 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),

2009: $5.2 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),

2010: $6.2 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus,

2011: $7.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),

2012: $8.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),

2013: Free Agent

Stecker:

3/4/2004: Signed a four-year, $4.4 million contract. The deal included a $650,000 signing bonus.

2007: $1,250,000,

2008: Free Agent

Thomas:

5/2/2007: Signed a three-year contract.

2007-2009: Under Contract,

2010: Restricted Free Agent
$3.7 million doesn't seem like a bad deal to me assuming Deuce is ready to play early in the 2008 season. He'll turn 31 during the 2009 season though so I would be surprised if the Saints paid him $5.4 million then. I'm sure Stecker can get better money elsewhere and the Saints have a good #3 in Pierre Thomas, so they wouldn't miss him too much.I would be very surprised to see the Saints take a RB on the first day of the draft, even if they land Samuel.

You guys should be crossing your fingers and praying that Kenny Phillips slides to you in round 1. I think there is a good chance of that happening.

They won't touch another RB in this draft. They have plenty of options in the running game now. I do expect them to retain Stecker because he's not expensive and provides a ton of versatility. We'll adjust the scheme to accommodate all our RBs while we wait for Deuce's recovery. I don't expect Deuce to be "Deuce" until the end of next season.

Fans might be clamoring for a replacement with David but I'm not entirely convinced that he's done for. Much of the problem with him was the poor effort expended by our Safeties (Bullocks in particular). If CB's in FA prove to be too expensive (and there is every reason to believe they will), I can see them adding a FS to replace Bullocks and upgrade over Kaesviharn. David played in a Tampa-2, so our Man-to-Man scheme left him vulnerable. He may just need a full season with our defensive playbook.

We are vulnerable throughout the defense. We need a better DTs than Thomas & Young. We need an impact LB to pair with an overachiever like Fujita. We need help in the backfield at CB, of course, but FS play has been spotty. Those big pass plays are as much the Safety's fault as David's, I think. So I expect 2 out of the 3 positions I have listed (DT/MLB/FS) to be addressed in the first 2 rounds of the draft. One of them will be addressed in FA.

Henderson will not be retained. For every good game from him, we get 3 where he's MIA. We'll look at TE because Johnson and Miller showed what the TE position means to our offense with a combined 75/700+/4TDs but almost as importantly as those #'s is the 39 first downs they made. We'll need to address the Oline too because, while they didn't give up many sacks, they let Brees get pressured a lot.

They won't touch another RB in this draft. They have plenty of options in the running game now. I do expect them to retain Stecker because he's not expensive and provides a ton of versatility. We'll adjust the scheme to accommodate all our RBs while we wait for Deuce's recovery. I don't expect Deuce to be "Deuce" until the end of next season ever again.
I'd love to think that Deuce comes back. I really would. But if they don't believe in Thomas and don't think that McAllister will be back, even until the end of the season, then they very well could draft, or sign, another back. Our running game was a liability this year after Deuce went down. Reggie is not built to run between the tackles in the NFL, so we need a complementary "bruiser" to open up space for Bush. I don't think Stecker fits that mold, and I really don't see the Saints trying to play around without that tandem when last year's offense paired with a solid defense makes this very close to a Super Bowl team.Maybe my concern over them taking a back is an overanalysis of last year, when I would have thought they would address defense and instead pounced on Meachem. I dunno... I'm pretty new at this draft analysis stuff.

Fans might be clamoring for a replacement with David but I'm not entirely convinced that he's done for. Much of the problem with him was the poor effort expended by our Safeties (Bullocks in particular). If CB's in FA prove to be too expensive (and there is every reason to believe they will), I can see them adding a FS to replace Bullocks and upgrade over Kaesviharn. David played in a Tampa-2, so our Man-to-Man scheme left him vulnerable. He may just need a full season with our defensive playbook.
I've actually heard some other guys take this approach also. Might be that David was just getting burned on the highlight reels a little too often. Either way he's not a guy I'm happy about relying on, though this idea goes very well with Abraham's Kenny Phillps call.What are you guys opinions on Phillips vs. Mike Jenkins?

PranksterJD said:
What are you guys opinions on Phillips vs. Mike Jenkins?
Per Pete Prisco on CBSsports.com
8. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida: He's a smooth cover player who has good size at 6-0, 205 pounds. His 40 times will impact how high he goes. He plays fast.

17. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (Jr.): At 6-2, 210 pounds, he has the size and speed to be another in the long line of talented Miami safeties at the next level. He didn't play as well as expected as a junior, but the tools are there.
Most websites have Jenkins going before the Saints pick (1.10) and Phillips going afterwards.

You guys should be crossing your fingers and praying that Kenny Phillips slides to you in round 1. I think there is a good chance of that happening.
I'm not as concerned about S as I am about CB.
I would prefer a FA CB, and add Phillips on draft day. Rookie CBs scare me and I'd prefer a little experience since the Saints are capable of winning next season. Safeties seem more capable of producing as rookies. IMO, LB takes a backseat to the secondary.

I'm not as concerned about S as I am about CB.
I would prefer a FA CB, and add Phillips on draft day. Rookie CBs scare me and I'd prefer a little experience since the Saints are capable of winning next season. Safeties seem more capable of producing as rookies. IMO, LB takes a backseat to the secondary.
Pretty much my thinking. Although, you are more likely to get a starting S in R2. I think Saints fans want a LB in R1, as it would send the right message somehow. My fantasy front office moves would be FA CB - like Trufant - followed by LB in R1 and S in R2.

Couple of articles...

Times Picayune editorial on preliminary draft thoughts.

Deuce interview (video) on CBS affiliate. Pretty much a puff piece, but he at least gets asked about returning next year and doesn't say "I'll definitely be back", though does say his goal is to be 100% by training camp. Doesn't mean a whole lot either way.

Couple of articles...

Deuce interview (video) on CBS affiliate. Pretty much a puff piece, but he at least gets asked about returning next year and doesn't say "I'll definitely be back", though does say his goal is to be 100% by training camp. Doesn't mean a whole lot either way.
They aren't far off from what we're talking about here. The exception being maybe QB. For the record, I am counting on players wanting to re-sign for a reasonable figure because of how close we are to a post-season berth and the high regard everyone has for one another. We're not a divided or divisive locker room.

Couple of articles...

They aren't far off from what we're talking about here. The exception being maybe QB. For the record, I am counting on players wanting to re-sign for a reasonable figure because of how close we are to a post-season berth and the high regard everyone has for one another. We're not a divided or divisive locker room.
Not far off at all. I'm a little concerned when they used the highlighter on LB rather than secondary, when from what I can gather the LB crop of 2008 isn't superb. I'm still waiting on Bramel's grades before I make any leaps on my own, but from what I get so far there isn't a Patrick Willis/DeMeco Ryans caliber player in this class. Of the ones mentioned in the article, Dan Connor is the only guy that seems close to value at the 1.10 This is the first time I've seen Keith Rivers mentioned anywhere near our pick, and I'm damn sure Adibi isn't a top 10 talent.A sweet little idea that I heard somewhere (no knowledge, just a wishful "what if") was to trade off 1.10 to Dallas so they could take Phillips and get their pair of late firsts for both a LB and CB/S. Oh if wishing made it so.... :thumbup:

Couple of articles...

I thought that I would post the article for future reference...
TREASURE HUNTING

The Saints hope to unearth gems in Mobile that they can pocket in April's draft

Monday, January 21, 2008

By Mike Triplett

The Saints aren't proud to be holding the 10th pick in this year's NFL draft (April 26-27) -- the consolation prize for finishing in the bottom third of the league's standings.

But that doesn't mean they aren't happy about it.

At No. 10, they can find a bona fide difference-maker, the type of player who can come in and make an instant impact. Last year, the Houston Texans drafted defensive tackle Amobi Okoye with the 10th pick, and San Francisco took linebacker Patrick Willis with the 11th pick. Okoye started 14 games and had 5.5 sacks; Willis led the league in tackles with 174 and was selected Defensive Rookie of the Year. Just imagine how nicely one of those guys would fit into the Saints' defense.

Both of those young defensive stars helped raise their draft stock at the Senior Bowl.

This week Saints coaches and player personnel evaluators will descend on Mobile, Ala., for the 2008 Senior Bowl, where they'll be on the lookout for those types of impact rookies.

Here are a handful of prospects who might pique their interest:

-- Southern California defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis: He is the top-rated defensive player to accept an invitation to the Senior Bowl, and he plays at one of the Saints' biggest need positions.

The Saints could use an upgrade at several spots on defense, but they especially need an injection of youth at tackle, where their top five guys last year were 28 or older. Plus, longtime starter Brian Young is set to be an unrestricted free agent in March.

Ellis is a bit undersized at 6 feet 1, 306 pounds, but he has terrific athleticism and energy, and he can be a disruptive presence up front against the run and the pass. Early draft projections don't expect him to last to the 10th pick.

The Saints also will look closely at North Carolina tackle Kentwan Balmer, who might be a first-round possibility, as well as Texas A&M's Red Bryant and Maryland's Dre Moore.

-- USC outside linebacker Keith Rivers: He is the kind of dynamic, fast linebacker the Saints have lacked in the middle of their defense for years.

Rivers, 6-3, 236, makes plays from sideline to sideline, and he's also an effective pass rusher. His scouting reports suggest that he needs to improve his lower-body strength so he can handle blockers better.

If the Saints like what they see, Rivers could be a candidate for that first-round pick. But they'll also look closely at LSU's Ali Highsmith, Penn State's Dan Connor and Virginia Tech's Xavier Adibi. Any one of the three could soar into the early first round or slip into the early second round.

-- Cornerbacks: This is the Saints' greatest area of need, but the draft isn't very top-heavy at cornerback, especially after Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins elected to return to school for his senior year.

The Saints won't get a look at South Florida's Mike Jenkins this week. Mike Jenkins, the top cornerback prospect, decided not to play at the Senior Bowl. But the Saints will spend plenty of time studying Troy's Leodis McKelvin, Boston College's DeJuan Tribbler, Tennessee State's Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and several others.

-- USC offensive tackle Samuel Baker: The Saints' most glaring needs are on defense, but they've proved that they'll stick with the "best player available" theory in the draft.

The best offensive tackles -- Michigan senior Jake Long and Boise State junior Ryan Clady -- in this year's draft won't be in Mobile this week, but Baker, 6-5, 313, could vault himself into that class if he impresses in these offseason showcases.

Baker is a big, athletic tackle who is especially effective as a pass blocker.

-- The quarterbacks: The Saints won't be looking at this position with their first-round pick, but there's always the chance that Coach Sean Payton could become enamored of a future project at his favorite position.

Most of the top names in this year's draft will be on display this week. They include Louisville's Brian Brohm, Kentucky's Andre Woodson, USC's John David Booty, Michigan's Chad Henne, Hawaii's Colt Brennan and Delaware's Joe Flacco.

-- LSU's senior class: Defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey won't be in Mobile, and he'll probably be long gone before the Saints are on the clock in this year's draft.

But the Tigers will have five players -- Highsmith, receiver Early Doucet, safety Craig Steltz, cornerback Chevis Jackson and running back Jacob Hester -- at the Senior Bowl.

the more i think about it, the more i am inclined to see the Saints draft a CB with their R1 pick. McKenzie - no spring chicken himself - is coming off a knee injury. While he expects a full recovery, the fact of the matter is he won't be ready to go until June. He'll miss all of the Spring training camps and voluntary workouts too. So that leaves us with David, Usama Young and Craft (I think) under contract. Drafting a CB ensures that we have a potential starter while we wait for McKenzie.

I think the paucity of quality FA CB's means that we have to act here. While we have a need at Safety, at least we have 4 experienced players to fill those positions. The uncertainty at CB troubles me more and more. Other positions can be filled via the draft and FA.

I'd be very happy if the Saints drafted 2 offensive linemen and used the rest on defensive players.

Hopefully the Saints have learned their lesson about drafting toys for Payton's offense (yeah, I'm looking at you Robert Meachem and Antonio Pittman).

Do you guys think Meachem will do anything special in the years to come? Sounds like he was in the doghouse, but could he become an impact player now that Henderson is likely to leave?

Do you guys think Meachem will do anything special in the years to come? Sounds like he was in the doghouse, but could he become an impact player now that Henderson is likely to leave?
He was injured, out of shape largely because of injury, and unprepared for the regular season. if you don't get the reps then you're going to struggle. the coaching staff was always very complimentary of him during the season, as i recall. he could have come in and played by midseason, according to the WR coach, but they were in the middle of a playoff push. i saw an article - likely on T-P website - where they talked about how excited they were for him next year. i am really looking forward to him on the field next year.

Saints | Team close to acquiring Vilma?

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:08:32 -0800

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the New Orleans Saints are close to acquiring New York Jets LB Jonathan Vilma, according to two sources. The Jets will receive a conditional draft pick, likely in the 2009 NFL Draft, based on Vilma's production, according to a league source

Who Dat, Bobby!

Gotta give credit to the Saints' brass so far this offseason. Everyone knew that defense was the Saints' biggest need, especially DE and CB. So what have the Saints done in the past week? Traded away a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2009 draft for LB J. Vilma and signed CB R. Gay away from New England and resigned LB M. Simoneau and DT B. Young.

On the offense and special teams they resigned K M. Gramatica, WR D. Henderson, and RB A. Stecker.

The only guy they've lost in FA so far is C J. Faine.

So my question is, now that they've signed Jonathan Vilma and Randall Gay, are their options wide open with the 10th pick in the 2008 draft? I've gotta think they go with the best player available regardless of position now.

Any thoughts?

Who Dat, Bobby!Gotta give credit to the Saints' brass so far this offseason. Everyone knew that defense was the Saints' biggest need, especially DE and CB. So what have the Saints done in the past week? Traded away a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2009 draft for LB J. Vilma and signed CB R. Gay away from New England and resigned LB M. Simoneau and DT B. Young. On the offense and special teams they resigned K M. Gramatica, WR D. Henderson, and RB A. Stecker.The only guy they've lost in FA so far is C J. Faine. So my question is, now that they've signed Jonathan Vilma and Randall Gay, are their options wide open with the 10th pick in the 2008 draft? I've gotta think they go with the best player available regardless of position now.Any thoughts?
My guess would be they'll go DT if Dorsey or Ellis is available. Unlikely, though, since the Bengals need a DT. Barring that, they'll probably get Cody, slide Brown back over to RT and upgrade the OLine.

I think the biggest need is still CB. Randall Gay is better than what they had, but he's not great by any stretch. David sucks, McKenzie won't be back at full speed for the start of the season.... they need help at corner.

What does Stecker re-signing signify if anything? I thought that they might go with Deuce, Reggie and Thomas. Are any of you Saint insiders surprised that Stecker is coming back?

rzrback77 said:
What does Stecker re-signing signify if anything? I thought that they might go with Deuce, Reggie and Thomas. Are any of you Saint insiders surprised that Stecker is coming back?
I think it signifies the Saints lack of faith in Deuce and Reggie to stay healthy for the majority of the year. I think it was a one year $3 million contract, so it's not like they spent a helluva lot to keep him.

rzrback77 said:
Anchoring the special teams. Stecker is Fred McAfee version 2.

The Jason David debacle has me a little trepidatious about the RGay signing, so I'll wait and see on that one. He's more talented than Fred Thomas, so even if he's the most expensive nickel back in the league the Saints have an upgrade.

I think that when the Saints pick at #10, there will be too much LB talent to not go in that direction. No way Dorsey makes it that far, but the Saints would scoop him up in a heartbeat if he did (like the Bucs did with Warren Sapp years ago).

The Jason David debacle has me a little trepidatious about the RGay signing, so I'll wait and see on that one. He's more talented than Fred Thomas, so even if he's the most expensive nickel back in the league the Saints have an upgrade.I think that when the Saints pick at #10, there will be too much LB talent to not go in that direction. No way Dorsey makes it that far, but the Saints would scoop him up in a heartbeat if he did (like the Bucs did with Warren Sapp years ago).
I am hoping that the injury talk might drop Dorsey to 10 much like Branch dropping in the draft with similar injuries. However, I think teams are doing it to drop his value to make a move for him. If not, I would not mind a replacement for Bullocks or Shanle in the draft. Connor, Phillips, Rivers if one of the top DTs don't drop.With the signing of McCray, I think the Saints will move Grant down the line in passing situations, which seemed to help the Giants this year.

Deuce and Saints delay roster bonus

The Saints and tailback Deuce McAllister agreed to push back his $1 million roster bonus from March 15 to April 15, giving the team a better chance to gauge his health before making any financial decisions.

McAllister, 29, is recovering from surgery on both of his knees in late September. He expects to be ready for the team's summer minicamp (usually around June 1). But he said he was agreeable to the postponement because it gives him more time to prove he'll "make good on the investment."

"I think honestly if I would have pushed for it, I think I could have gotten it. But in doing that, they probably would have wanted to lower my pay," said McAllister, who is scheduled to receive a salary of $3.6 million this season, in addition to the $1 million roster bonus and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Of course, the Saints might still ask McAllister to take a pay cut next month. But McAllister will be further along in his rehab, which will put him in a better bargaining position.

"It's pretty much both parties working together," he said. "It's not something they were interested in doing if I was healthy. But at the same time, they want to make sure they're protected."

Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis declined to expand on the decision, saying that there is no need to read too much into it and that both sides were in agreement.
Also, saw posted on a team board that the Rumor was that he was to be cut. I believe the rumor was based around the roster bonus, so I'm thinking unlikely for at least another month....

Absolute rumor, and potential garbage....

"Mendenhall is one of the three first round choices the Saints are targeting. The other two are Sedrick Ellis (if he drops to #10) and Keith Rivers. Both are USC guys recruited by Ed Orgeron. Some think Mendenhall is the guy that Payton wants. He moves the chains."He then responded with his source stating: "Source was from Jags coaching staff. After Jax game Payton told him he wants a player like Maurice Jones-Drew to compliment Reggie and Payton likes Mendenhall."Remember, Muller (in the Sportswrap interview) said that "we like to add another RB to the mix"...
Was from a competing site, so I'll not link it ( I guess you could PM for the thread ).Again, there are zero facts to base this on. I really only bring it up because it supports my earlier statements :mellow:

While Id love to see Bush paired with a big young stud like Jstew or Mendenhall, I would be incredibly disappointed if they used the 10th pick on that position. They have the chance to grab a top end LB, Corner, or D Tackle and they desperately need all 3. If Sed Ellis or Dorsey slip to the ten spot (they wont) I dont think there's any question the Saints take them there. I honestly think the pick is gonna be whoever the top CB still on the Saints draft board is, but Keith Rivers is still a possibility, and they could also catch us all off guard again this year and go O line in the 1st. I know I couldnt believe the Meachem pick last year, and with Paul Poz still on the board I was pretty upset. I think I would be just as upset, or at least close, if they went with a RB in that 10 spot

While Id love to see Bush paired with a big young stud like Jstew or Mendenhall, I would be incredibly disappointed if they used the 10th pick on that position. They have the chance to grab a top end LB, Corner, or D Tackle and they desperately need all 3. If Sed Ellis or Dorsey slip to the ten spot (they wont) I dont think there's any question the Saints take them there. I honestly think the pick is gonna be whoever the top CB still on the Saints draft board is, but Keith Rivers is still a possibility, and they could also catch us all off guard again this year and go O line in the 1st. I know I couldnt believe the Meachem pick last year, and with Paul Poz still on the board I was pretty upset. I think I would be just as upset, or at least close, if they went with a RB in that 10 spot
I agree ( especially about Poz ), but here's counter argument, just for fun...Ellis... gotta take him if he's there, but as you said, he probably won't be. If he and Dorsey are gone, can you really take a DT at 10?Rivers... Certainly possible that the signing of Vilma and Morgan make the Saints happy with their LB corps ( at least as a stop-gap solution ), and so they wait for later in '08 or in '09 to address this issue.CB ... a pretty deep draft at this position, and, again, maybe the Saints front office believes Gay, paired with a 2nd round CB, could solve their problems.Maybe an O-lineman, sure, but if we assume the above are true ( and we shouldn't assume that, but for giggles ), then it starts to make Mendenhall look appealing. Even better if the idea is to trade down to take Mendenhall while receiving another pick in the process. I'm not saying it will happen... but it wouldn't be completely out of left field for Mueller to justify the pick as above.I'm personally going to doubt this happens very much. Its likely some crazy fan that doesn't know anything talking about a "what if" ( you know... kinda like I just did ).

Rivers... Certainly possible that the signing of Vilma and Morgan make the Saints happy with their LB corps ( at least as a stop-gap solution ), and so they wait for later in '08 or in '09 to address this issue.

CB ... a pretty deep draft at this position, and, again, maybe the Saints front office believes Gay, paired with a 2nd round CB, could solve their problems.
Unfortunately they've addressed these two positions exactly as you describe every year. I thought this would be the year they'd try something different and take LB or CB in the first round but it's not looking likely. Quite the bummer.

PranksterJD said:
ThePittbully said:
I agree ( especially about Poz ), but here's counter argument, just for fun...Ellis... gotta take him if he's there, but as you said, he probably won't be. If he and Dorsey are gone, can you really take a DT at 10?
Here's another thought... what do you guys see as the possibility to trade UP for Ellis? We know that New England will likely be looking to move out of the #7. If Ellis gets to that point, what are the chances the Saints move up to get him?

Here's another thought... what do you guys see as the possibility to trade UP for Ellis? We know that New England will likely be looking to move out of the #7. If Ellis gets to that point, what are the chances the Saints move up to get him?
Who knows? I wouldn't make that call though. Our DT's, while not incredible, are still reasonably solid. We need:LB - insurance policies for Morgan and Vilma, if nothing else;CB - McKenzie's injury makes a return Week 1 seem doubtful. David, Gay and Young don't do much for me;C - Goodwin is unproven; and.FS - Bullocks is awful. He's part of the reason David struggled, I think.

Who knows? I wouldn't make that call though. Our DT's, while not incredible, are still reasonably solid. We need:LB - insurance policies for Morgan and Vilma, if nothing else;

CB - McKenzie's injury makes a return Week 1 seem doubtful. David, Gay and Young don't do much for me;

C - Goodwin is unproven; and.

FS - Bullocks is awful. He's part of the reason David struggled, I think.
Agree completely, and its been completely overlooked by most people when mocking the Saints picks, but from what I can gather there isn't a safety talented enough to warrant the #10 since Philips started his free fall.

Who knows? I wouldn't make that call though. Our DT's, while not incredible, are still reasonably solid. We need:LB - insurance policies for Morgan and Vilma, if nothing else;CB - McKenzie's injury makes a return Week 1 seem doubtful. David, Gay and Young don't do much for me;C - Goodwin is unproven; and.FS - Bullocks is awful. He's part of the reason David struggled, I think.
Yea I wouldnt expect us to trade up and grab either of the DT's. We have too many needs in too many other areas and top level players at those positions will be available. DT - If Dorsey or Ellis fall I think they are at the top of our draft boardLB - Morgan and Vilma were nice signings, but Vilma's knee is still a question mark and Morgan is 30 and has had 5 or 6 concussions if not more. He's played something like 4 or 5 games in the last two years. Even if Vilma is healthy, obtaining another young stud LB to go along with him would be great for the Saints.CB - This is the most obvious need of all. Mckenzie is injured and aging, David was much much less than what they expected him to be, and it doesnt appear Usama Young is ready to be a starting corner just yet. Randall Gay could be a contributor but I have doubts about how solid a #2 he will make.FS - Totally agree on Bullocks. I would put this need even with or right behind CB. The problem is there are no safeties in this draft that warrant a top ten pick. However, I could definitely see us going LB or CB at #10 and then taking the best available safety at the top of the 2nd. If Phillips slipped that far, I might cry

Who knows? I wouldn't make that call though. Our DT's, while not incredible, are still reasonably solid. We need:LB - insurance policies for Morgan and Vilma, if nothing else;

CB - McKenzie's injury makes a return Week 1 seem doubtful. David, Gay and Young don't do much for me;

C - Goodwin is unproven; and.

FS - Bullocks is awful. He's part of the reason David struggled, I think.
Agree completely, and its been completely overlooked by most people when mocking the Saints picks, but from what I can gather there isn't a safety talented enough to warrant the #10 since Philips started his free fall.
I caught Mel Kiper the other night on ESPN talking about how Phillips is maybe the Giants pick. I'm a little shocked at how far he's fallen down.Like a lot of teams, I would trade with Dallas in R1 if the opportunity presented itself. We'd get a lot of use out of those 2 R1 picks from them.

Yea I agree, 2 first rounders could do us alot of good, we could still get a top flight corner and probably phillips too. I dont know much about the value chart for draft picks, if something like that went down would it likely be just the 2 first for our 1 or would more picks be involved or what?

I agree ( especially about Poz ), but here's counter argument, just for fun...Ellis... gotta take him if he's there, but as you said, he probably won't be. If he and Dorsey are gone, can you really take a DT at 10?Rivers... Certainly possible that the signing of Vilma and Morgan make the Saints happy with their LB corps ( at least as a stop-gap solution ), and so they wait for later in '08 or in '09 to address this issue.CB ... a pretty deep draft at this position, and, again, maybe the Saints front office believes Gay, paired with a 2nd round CB, could solve their problems.Maybe an O-lineman, sure, but if we assume the above are true ( and we shouldn't assume that, but for giggles ), then it starts to make Mendenhall look appealing. Even better if the idea is to trade down to take Mendenhall while receiving another pick in the process. I'm not saying it will happen... but it wouldn't be completely out of left field for Mueller to justify the pick as above.I'm personally going to doubt this happens very much. Its likely some crazy fan that doesn't know anything talking about a "what if" ( you know... kinda like I just did ).
I'd be absolutely P.O'ed if the Saints went anywhere but defense. The offense is solid and doesn't need much help at all. All of this RB talk is crazy. We have enough depth behind Bush. So hopefully they learn their lesson with Meachem last season (still pissed about that pick), and take the best defensive player available. I'd be happy with any of the top 3 CBs, Ellis, Dorsey, or Rivers.

I'd be absolutely P.O'ed if the Saints went anywhere but defense. The offense is solid and doesn't need much help at all. All of this RB talk is crazy. We have enough depth behind Bush. So hopefully they learn their lesson with Meachem last season (still pissed about that pick), and take the best defensive player available. I'd be happy with any of the top 3 CBs, Ellis, Dorsey, or Rivers.
Completely agree with this.

I dont disagree with you at all and I hope we got Best Defensive Player available as well, but I could totally see them justifying taking an O lineman or even taking Mendenhall and saying he was the BPA

Users who are viewing this thread