What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unemployment lowest since 2008 (2 Viewers)

Some decent news. July and August were revised upward significantly.

July: +127,000 (+42,000)

August: +57,000 (+57,000)

September: +103,000

August was depressed by 45K b/c of the Verizon strike. So 45K of the September increase reflects the Verizon strikers returning to work.

Another 34k gov't workers cut.
People tend to forget that this is what smaller government looks like.
Unless it's changed, gov't workers who get laid off have first crack at current job openings (which there are a lot of.) So this 34K, are they actually now in the unemployment line, or was just their position cut and they moved into a vacant position?
34k who are now unemployed.

It's a great time to be a Republican. You get to yell "CUT BIG GOV'T!!" i.e. lay people off and at the same time yell "UNEMPLOYMENT ISN'T IMPROVING!!!".

Unless it's changed, gov't workers who get laid off have first crack at current job openings (which there are a lot of.) So this 34K, are they actually now in the unemployment line, or was just their position cut and they moved into a vacant position?
What field are these 34k in? There are tons of gov't jobs open out there that they should easily be able to get. Granted some of them may require relocation, but relocating > unemployed.

What field are these 34k in? There are tons of gov't jobs open out there that they should easily be able to get. Granted some of them may require relocation, but relocating > unemployed.
How do you relocate when you are underwater on a home? Two spouse incomes and one loses job? I don't think I would categorize it as "easily" - Perhaps it's not as easy as becoming unemployed and searching for work in the private sector.

There are tons of government jobs open? Honest question.

There are tons of government jobs open? Honest question.
I have gov't job listings sent to me everyday, usually at least 10, and I have it set to only send ones that have the word "video" in the job description. And since I'm not military or current/past gov't, I don't even get to look at the job listings that only they can access.ETA: There are currently 3,461 public job listings on usajobs.gov, and some of those listings are for multiple openings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most cuts are at the local level as they feel the funding squeeze from above. I believe most of the affected are in education and public safety.

ETA: There are currently 3,461 public job listings on usajobs.gov, and some of those listings are for multiple openings.
3,461 = "tons" of jobs? When there were 34k lost last month alone? :confused:
1. Those are jobs open to the public. Meaning, that no gov't employee (current or former) have accepted those jobs. Same with former military. As I am neither, I can not see how many job listings there are currently for them.2. Federal job listings usually have a lifespan of 1-2 weeks, sometimes longer if it's a highly specific job. I don't know if there's a way to get a count on all the different listings that were posted during the time in question, which would still be missing the jobs that never made it to the public because a gov't employee or military person got hired for them.

SD, those articles basically just say that the Fed has already done what Japan should have. I agree that it helped slow the fall, but it certainly hasn't put us back on track. We're already doing huge amounts of QE, and it's not having the demand effect they talk about. IIRC, most economists agree that QE gets less effective each time you have to use it.

The part I disagree with is "do whatever is necessary to hit that target". There are negative impacts of many of these policy decisions as well- we can't totally ignore those.

I agree there are many fiscal things we can do, but I have very little faith that we will do them. We blew it with the stimulus, so I don't blame people for being against another one, even though it seems necessary.
I think the key difference between QE and their recommendations is the open-ended nature of the commitments they advocate. Having a limited value on these purchases makes it much harder to shape expectations and does not insure the proper liquidity is provided if it beyond the number. Additionally, it still keeps the too low implicit core inflation rate ceiling of 2% the Fed has which will stall the economy every time it starts to get moving.QE's intent has been to prevent outright deflation and on that measure it has been a success. They have not been trying to return nominal spending to trend so I don't think that is the metric to judge the program on. Frankly, they make it quite clear that they will not accept the inflation needed to do that. That strikes me as exactly the same mistake that happened in those two prior situations. I do agree that each time it will be less effective mainly because the political pressure will force it to come later and in smaller amounts than it is needed.

Of course there are downside risks to doing whatever it takes to hit the goal. Over aggressive policy could cause a price-wage spiral that is difficult to contain. However, I think it is very wrong to be concerned about then when inflation is currently so low and has been so low signifying that money is now too tight. I am not a fan of making the problems we have worse while worrying about problems that there is no evidence are close to occurring. Wages are stagnant and market inflation expectations are as low as they have ever been. The Fed has a ton of credibility with the market as an inflation fighter and I am confident that they would rein inflation in before it got out of control. Hell, they are so concerned about inflation that they are constantly sabotaging any effort to escape the largest deflationary bust this country has seen in 80 years. That some credibility!
What happened during Carters administration?
An inflationary burst that was later treated by Volcker. In the 30 years since, the Fed has moved to stamp out inflation any time it began to show up in wages. Doing this has gained them this credibility I speak of. Any look at long term bond rates or inflation rates will make clear that a massive shift in policy occurred since then. .
How do you see wage inflation control affecting the increasing gap between rich and poor?
I think when money is too tight in general it will tend to increase this gap with slower wage growth and higher unemployment.
And why is money tight now?
Nominal spending about 10% below trend is a good place to start. Low interest rates are also a sign that money has been too tight.
Slapdash, you have any idea how much money is tied up in bank reserves to cover bad loans and cannot be lended?

Most cuts are at the local level as they feel the funding squeeze from above. I believe most of the affected are in education and public safety.
Yep, this month 35k lost local jobs 24k of which are in education.

Good to see the left getting fired up in this two-year old thread after a +103k print.

With all of the "blame the cuts in government" talk, you'd think there was a huge cut in government spending in FY 2011.

Link

It's a great time to be a Republican. You get to yell "CUT BIG GOV'T!!" i.e. lay people off and at the same time yell "UNEMPLOYMENT ISN'T IMPROVING!!!".
what if you're a fiscal conservative paying an increasinginly disproportionate amount of taxes?? (not complaining about the taxes I pay, just pointing out the fun)Yeah, good times.So I have to keep my fiscal house in order, but the govt. gets to be irresponsible and then punish me for it. Yeah, good times.

what if you're a fiscal conservative paying an increasinginly disproportionate amount of taxes?? (not complaining about the taxes I pay, just pointing out the fun)Yeah, good times.So I have to keep my fiscal house in order, but the govt. gets to be irresponsible and then punish me for it. Yeah, good times.
Equating your personal finance to the US government's complex financial structure is the beginning of where you go wrong.

ETA: There are currently 3,461 public job listings on usajobs.gov, and some of those listings are for multiple openings.
How many jobs = 1 ton? If it's the same as pounds, that's about 1.4 tons of jobs.
Actually, those 3,461 jobs = 617,788.5* lbs which is just under 309 tons. * Based on average american worker which is calculated using the average weight of an adult American male (191.0 lbs) x the percent of men in the workforce (53.3%) and adding that to the product of an average adult American female (164.3 lbs) x the percent of women in the workforce (46.7%). The formula is (191.0 x .533) + (164.3 x .467), which equals 178.5 lbs. :nerd:

How many jobs = 1 ton? If it's the same as pounds, that's about 1.4 tons of jobs.
Actually, those 3,461 jobs = 617,788.5* lbs which is just under 309 tons. * Based on average american worker which is calculated using the average weight of an adult American male (191.0 lbs) x the percent of men in the workforce (53.3%) and adding that to the product of an average adult American female (164.3 lbs) x the percent of women in the workforce (46.7%). The formula is (191.0 x .533) + (164.3 x .467), which equals 178.5 lbs. :nerd:
The economy added 9.2K tons of jobs in September. :thumbup:

Think it's very telling that Republicans are attacking Obama's "campaigning" moreso then the job's bill itself. Wonder why that might be?

Think it's very telling that Republicans are attacking Obama's "campaigning" moreso then the job's bill itself. Wonder why that might be?
Because Americans would erroneously see an attack on the jobs bill as an attack on jobs.Which is of course ridiculous.What exactly does it tell you?

Because Americans would erroneously see an attack on the jobs bill as an attack on jobs.Which is of course ridiculous.What exactly does it tell you?
Bill is mostly tax-cuts. How can Republican's rail against that? They can't so they are railing on Obama's "campaigning."Republican's will block a bill that is mostly tax cuts in order to not give Obama a chance to improve the current economic condition.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. unemployment rate fell last month to its lowest level in more than 2½ years. More of the unemployed either found jobs or gave up looking and were no longer counted as unemployed.

The Labor Department said Friday that the unemployment rate dropped sharply to 8.6 percent, down from 9 percent in October. The rate hasn't been that low since March 2009, during the depths of the recession.

About 13.3 million Americans remain unemployed.

Employers added 120,000 jobs last month. And the previous two months were revised up to show that 72,000 more jobs added — the fourth straight month that the government has revised prior months higher.

Private employers added a net gain of 140,000 jobs in November. But governments shed 20,000 jobs, mostly at the local and state level. Governments at all levels have shed nearly a half-million jobs in the past year.

More than half the jobs added last month were by retailers, restaurants and bars, a sign that holiday hiring has kicked in. Retailers added 50,000, the sector's biggest gain since April. Restaurants and bars hired 33,000 workers. The health care industry added 17,000.

Even with the recent gains, the economy isn't anywhere close to replacing the jobs lost in the recession. Employers began shedding workers in February 2008 and cut nearly 8.7 million jobs for the next 25 months. Since then, the economy has regained nearly 2.5 million of those jobs.

The presidential election is less than a year away, which means President Barack Obama will almost certainly face voters with the highest unemployment rate of any president since World War II. Still, if the rate continues to decline, Obama stands to benefit.

And Europe's financial crisis threatens to slow U.S. growth next year. A recession in Europe could reduce U.S. exports, hurt global financial markets and dampen business confidence.

Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, estimates that the economy will expand 2.5 percent in the last three months of this year. But he expects growth to slow to 1.5 percent in 2012, partly because of the crisis in Europe. And if Congress fails to extend the Social Security tax cut and long-term unemployment benefits this month, growth is likely to slow even further.

Weak job growth means companies don't have to raise pay to keep their employees. Fewer jobs and lower pay leaves consumers with less money to spend. That's holding back economic growth.

In the past three months, the economy has added an average of 143,000 net jobs per month. That's enough to keep up with population growth and better than the previous three months, when the economy averaged just 84,000.

Other recent economic reports have been positive, too.

Factory output expanded last month. Retailers reported a strong start to holiday sales over the Thanksgiving weekend, consumer confidence surged in November to the highest level since July, and Americans' pay rose in October by the most in seven months.

Car sales also rose sharply in November, normally a lackluster month for the auto industry. Chrysler, Ford, Nissan and Hyundai all reported double-digit gains on Thursday, compared to a year ago.

If it stays under 9% it means that Obama's re-election chances, which were already at least good, are improved immensely Republicans will argue, with great merit, that things remain awful and that this figure only means that more people have stopped looking. But that won't help them, because it's negative talk, and Americans would prefer to hear optimism, even if it's pie in the sky. Of course the numbers could go back over 9% any time. But if they don't, Obama can argue that we're on the way to better times, and I believe that independents will buy in.

The other guy this hurts is Mitt Romney against his GOP opponents. His main selling point has been fixing the economy. If that becomes less important, what's he got? Most of the base can't stand him anyhow.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. unemployment rate fell last month to its lowest level in more than 2½ years. More of the unemployed either found jobs or gave up looking and were no longer counted as unemployed.The Labor Department said Friday that the unemployment rate dropped sharply to 8.6 percent, down from 9 percent in October. The rate hasn't been that low since March 2009, during the depths of the recession.About 13.3 million Americans remain unemployed.Employers added 120,000 jobs last month. And the previous two months were revised up to show that 72,000 more jobs added — the fourth straight month that the government has revised prior months higher.Private employers added a net gain of 140,000 jobs in November. But governments shed 20,000 jobs, mostly at the local and state level. Governments at all levels have shed nearly a half-million jobs in the past year.More than half the jobs added last month were by retailers, restaurants and bars, a sign that holiday hiring has kicked in. Retailers added 50,000, the sector's biggest gain since April. Restaurants and bars hired 33,000 workers. The health care industry added 17,000.Even with the recent gains, the economy isn't anywhere close to replacing the jobs lost in the recession. Employers began shedding workers in February 2008 and cut nearly 8.7 million jobs for the next 25 months. Since then, the economy has regained nearly 2.5 million of those jobs.The presidential election is less than a year away, which means President Barack Obama will almost certainly face voters with the highest unemployment rate of any president since World War II. Still, if the rate continues to decline, Obama stands to benefit.And Europe's financial crisis threatens to slow U.S. growth next year. A recession in Europe could reduce U.S. exports, hurt global financial markets and dampen business confidence.Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, estimates that the economy will expand 2.5 percent in the last three months of this year. But he expects growth to slow to 1.5 percent in 2012, partly because of the crisis in Europe. And if Congress fails to extend the Social Security tax cut and long-term unemployment benefits this month, growth is likely to slow even further.Weak job growth means companies don't have to raise pay to keep their employees. Fewer jobs and lower pay leaves consumers with less money to spend. That's holding back economic growth.In the past three months, the economy has added an average of 143,000 net jobs per month. That's enough to keep up with population growth and better than the previous three months, when the economy averaged just 84,000.Other recent economic reports have been positive, too.Factory output expanded last month. Retailers reported a strong start to holiday sales over the Thanksgiving weekend, consumer confidence surged in November to the highest level since July, and Americans' pay rose in October by the most in seven months.Car sales also rose sharply in November, normally a lackluster month for the auto industry. Chrysler, Ford, Nissan and Hyundai all reported double-digit gains on Thursday, compared to a year ago.
No mention of the ~300K people who gave up looking for work in this article for some reason. Most of the ones I've read today from various news sources all included this in some fashion.The good news is, previous months continue to be revised upwards.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. unemployment rate fell last month to its lowest level in more than 2½ years. More of the unemployed either found jobs or gave up looking and were no longer counted as unemployed.The Labor Department said Friday that the unemployment rate dropped sharply to 8.6 percent, down from 9 percent in October. The rate hasn't been that low since March 2009, during the depths of the recession.About 13.3 million Americans remain unemployed.Employers added 120,000 jobs last month. And the previous two months were revised up to show that 72,000 more jobs added — the fourth straight month that the government has revised prior months higher.Private employers added a net gain of 140,000 jobs in November. But governments shed 20,000 jobs, mostly at the local and state level. Governments at all levels have shed nearly a half-million jobs in the past year.More than half the jobs added last month were by retailers, restaurants and bars, a sign that holiday hiring has kicked in. Retailers added 50,000, the sector's biggest gain since April. Restaurants and bars hired 33,000 workers. The health care industry added 17,000.Even with the recent gains, the economy isn't anywhere close to replacing the jobs lost in the recession. Employers began shedding workers in February 2008 and cut nearly 8.7 million jobs for the next 25 months. Since then, the economy has regained nearly 2.5 million of those jobs.The presidential election is less than a year away, which means President Barack Obama will almost certainly face voters with the highest unemployment rate of any president since World War II. Still, if the rate continues to decline, Obama stands to benefit.And Europe's financial crisis threatens to slow U.S. growth next year. A recession in Europe could reduce U.S. exports, hurt global financial markets and dampen business confidence.Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, estimates that the economy will expand 2.5 percent in the last three months of this year. But he expects growth to slow to 1.5 percent in 2012, partly because of the crisis in Europe. And if Congress fails to extend the Social Security tax cut and long-term unemployment benefits this month, growth is likely to slow even further.Weak job growth means companies don't have to raise pay to keep their employees. Fewer jobs and lower pay leaves consumers with less money to spend. That's holding back economic growth.In the past three months, the economy has added an average of 143,000 net jobs per month. That's enough to keep up with population growth and better than the previous three months, when the economy averaged just 84,000.Other recent economic reports have been positive, too.Factory output expanded last month. Retailers reported a strong start to holiday sales over the Thanksgiving weekend, consumer confidence surged in November to the highest level since July, and Americans' pay rose in October by the most in seven months.Car sales also rose sharply in November, normally a lackluster month for the auto industry. Chrysler, Ford, Nissan and Hyundai all reported double-digit gains on Thursday, compared to a year ago.
No mention of the ~300K people who gave up looking for work in this article for some reason. Most of the ones I've read today from various news sources all included this in some fashion.The good news is, previous months continue to be revised upwards.
Did you read the first line of the article?

I scanned looking for the actual number. I read about 7 or 8 versions of this story from various sources and the one you quoted stands out as glossing over that fact the most. CNBC did the best job on the reporting IMO.
The drop in participation rate is significant in that had the labor force remained steady, the jobless rate would have dropped to 8.8 percent, according to Citigroup calculations. If the labor force had followed trend growth, unemployment would be at 8.9 percent.
Most of the other articles mentioned the actual number and didn't gloss over the labor participation drop. CNBC went so far as to calculate the rate without the drop.

Here is a blurb from a Yahoo article:
At the same time, a broad measure of unemployment that includes people who want to work but have given up looking for jobs and those working only part time for economic reasons dropped to a 2-1/2 year low of 15.6 percent in November from 16.2 percent in October.
Seems like that got better as well.

Here is a blurb from a Yahoo article:
At the same time, a broad measure of unemployment that includes people who want to work but have given up looking for jobs and those working only part time for economic reasons dropped to a 2-1/2 year low of 15.6 percent in November from 16.2 percent in October.
Seems like that got better as well.
Good news. I prefer U6 employment numbers in times like this.

Serious question.

Is this the official truck of the unemployed? I swear I see these all the time with some guy trying to sell turnips out of the back of his truck or posting looking for work signs.

I scanned looking for the actual number. I read about 7 or 8 versions of this story from various sources and the one you quoted stands out as glossing over that fact the most. CNBC did the best job on the reporting IMO.
The drop in participation rate is significant in that had the labor force remained steady, the jobless rate would have dropped to 8.8 percent, according to Citigroup calculations. If the labor force had followed trend growth, unemployment would be at 8.9 percent.
Most of the other articles mentioned the actual number and didn't gloss over the labor participation drop. CNBC went so far as to calculate the rate without the drop.
Got it. But my point remains that even if that's stressed by the media, the public won't want to hear it. And Republicans need to be careful here. If the candidates for President respond to this by pointing out what you just wrote, the public won't like it.

Got it. But my point remains that even if that's stressed by the media, the public won't want to hear it. And Republicans need to be careful here. If the candidates for President respond to this by pointing out what you just wrote, the public won't like it.
I'm not running for President or advising someone in that capacity (unlike adonis).I don't really care how anyone responds to it publicly, I just thought it was interesting how that was reported vs other sources I read after I saw the headline.

I'm not running for President or advising someone in that capacity (unlike adonis).I don't really care how anyone responds to it publicly, I just thought it was interesting how that was reported vs other sources I read after I saw the headline.
I also think the tough thing about that number is that I would be a bit more skeptical of the accuracy. Unemployment is pretty dead on, they track the payments, but people who fall off unemployment is more of a survey. My wife lost a job 10 years ago and it was right after our first kid was born, so she became a stay at home/do contract work when available person as she is now with 3 kids. You could say she is one of those, but sometimes in two income to one income transitions with kids, it makes little sense to get a low income job and pay daycare, etc. That isn't all of the people, but the number I posted above was in the 15-20% range, but on some of the threads in hire with the dire "we are in a triple double-dog dare dip recession" predictions you see numbers in the 20s and 30s for overall unemployed, so I think those numbers are less published due to the accuracy.

If it stays under 9% it means that Obama's re-election chances, which were already at least good, are improved immensely Republicans will argue, with great merit, that things remain awful and that this figure only means that more people have stopped looking. But that won't help them, because it's negative talk, and Americans would prefer to hear optimism, even if it's pie in the sky. Of course the numbers could go back over 9% any time. But if they don't, Obama can argue that we're on the way to better times, and I believe that independents will buy in. The other guy this hurts is Mitt Romney against his GOP opponents. His main selling point has been fixing the economy. If that becomes less important, what's he got? Most of the base can't stand him anyhow.
I don't think the 9% is some magic number that is going to swing the election- I'm sure the dems will tout it (although it's still bad), but all the repubs have to do is talk about the administration saying that it wouldn't go above 8% if we went with their plan. Either way, I think most people are going to gauge the economy based on their own annecdotal evidence- if things are going well for themselves, their friends and family, co-workers, etc., not so much a national number (unless of course it's dramatically higher or lower).I don't think this hurts Romney either- the economy certainly isn't "fixed", regardless of the fact that retailers and restaurants hired more seasonal employees. Again, if we get to sub 8% unemployment it could, but I don't think that's happening. The economy will still be a huge concern for the next election IMO.

We all know that the US economy will have to grow at record rates to bring down unemployment in a major way in the next 12 months. It was a good number but don't expect to see this kind of pace sustained.

The media has the narrative to get their boy re-elected (8.6, 125K jobs added)

The truth of course is that the number of people who've stopped looking for work or who otherwise fall off the unemployment rolls continue to explode with no end in sight.

All I can tell people is to continue to hoard guns, food, water, gas and a generator. Be as fully prepared as you can for the coming economic apocalypse that Obama will bring to a lame duck Presidency. Think of all the BS he's done when he had to consider being re-elected. Without that restraint, he's going to do a lot of damage that we'll never recover from.

Users who are viewing this thread