What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unethical to throw games? (3 Viewers)

pipman33

Footballguy
Im 0-2 and im losing by like 65+ points so there is no chance I win tonight. I have Greg Jennigs and Jermicheal Finley to go. The only other team that is winless has around 35 more points than me. So if Jennigs and Finley get more than 35 points I will choose 2nd in the Waiver claims. I am a Ray Rice owner and need McGahee know he I score more than 35 he will take McGahee and im hurting for RB. So is it unethical to throw a game so you get the better Waiver claim position. This is a decent size money league. what would u do

Totally subjective.

On the one hand, tanking may well be the best strategic move for your team. On the other, tanking may well damage the competitive balance of the league. Unless it's spelled out in your rules, there's no objective right or wrong here.

Listen to your conscience. I suspect since you felt you needed to ask, I have a pretty good idea what you feel is "right" here.

Sure sounds unethical to me.

Expect a lot of suggestions to change your waiver process. :excited: I, personally, agree with them but your rules are what they are for the season.

Sorry for the broken english. Got in a hurry. Im the commish in this league so I think im probably held to a higher standard and I gues I dont think its a good idea. I think its a long shot that Finley and Jennigs score 35 combined points anyways but it really could happen too.

You can't throw a game you already lost. Finley and Jennings won't get you 65pts. (yes, even the almighty Finely)

You can, however, damage your reputation around the league by making shady moves.

Does "total points" mean anything in your league? Tie-breaker, xtra prize money, etc...?

we do not have a auction style draft but can you still do an auction style Waiver Claims? We have been playing the same league with the same rules for about 8 years. It would be pretty cool to do something a little differnt next year.

Tanking is not allowed in any of my leagues.

Now there is always a blurred line between tanking and rebuilding that some do not see eye to eye on.

I wouldn't personally.

But, you said you have Finley.

I don't know what the worries are.

He will get you the 65pts needed....by halftime.

Nothing unethical about your situation. You have basically no chance to win your match so minimizing the damage to your team while simultaneously maximizing the potential to strngthen your team by playing for a better waiver position is the right call here.

Your #1 goal is the betterment of your own team. Every owner has a responsibility to do whatever it takes to make their team better/improve their odds of winning (cheating notwithstanding).

IMO, this is not cheating at all. You are doing it in the best interest of your team. I understand it is a gray area to some, but to me, you do what is best for your team. And not scoring a lot of points tonight is best for your team. You 'tank it' and get McGahee.

Not to throw out a wacky analogy, but what about when a team plays a young QB. Claussen right now probably isn't as good as Matt Moore, but they think it will help them in the long run. That is not 'throwing the game' even though they are playing a worse player.

It is for the greater good..which is what you would be doing by not starting Jennings and Finley.

By the way..Finley still might score 70 from the bench...so watch out for that.

Exactly how are you going to tank the game on Monday afternoon, your lineup is already set and even if you allow roster changes until game time you just happen to have another Packer or Bear WR and TE on your team that are scrubs and won't have any chance at getting you points ?

If you are just benching your guys and taking zeros I would consider that unethical if you had say Olsen and Know and switch to them because you figured they would score less then Finley/Jennings not sure how anyone could say anything against it, it might backfire and they each have big nights.

I'm absolutely shocked at some of the responses in this thread.

You put your best lineup in every week. Period. Anything else is most definitely unethical, ESPECIALLY if it's to gain an advantage in waiver priority.

Now, whether or not there's rules in your league for this and whether you choose to do it is one thing. But, is it unethical? 100% yes.

we do not have a auction style draft but can you still do an auction style Waiver Claims? We have been playing the same league with the same rules for about 8 years. It would be pretty cool to do something a little differnt next year.
after your regular draft, you can have every one have $100 fake Blind Bidding Dollars. use even change to avoid any ties, like $12.21. after the waivers clear you can still do your "first come first serve". if its a tie you can award the earliest submitted bid wins if it's a tie or you can use any other criteria like winning record...

Would not be a problem if everyone had to submit final lineup by kickoff on Sunday.

In your case, I would do it. Its simply a tactical move that is allowed by your ruleset.

I'm absolutely shocked at some of the responses in this thread.You put your best lineup in every week. Period. Anything else is most definitely unethical, ESPECIALLY if it's to gain an advantage in waiver priority.Now, whether or not there's rules in your league for this and whether you choose to do it is one thing. But, is it unethical? 100% yes.
Wrong. If the ruleset allows changing lineups on Monday morning, then take advantage of the rule.

There will be more threads with a similar question about throwing games for playoff matchups. I can't believe that commish's don't make a rule against throwing games.

I'm absolutely shocked at some of the responses in this thread.You put your best lineup in every week. Period. Anything else is most definitely unethical, ESPECIALLY if it's to gain an advantage in waiver priority.Now, whether or not there's rules in your league for this and whether you choose to do it is one thing. But, is it unethical? 100% yes.
Wrong. If the ruleset allows changing lineups on Monday morning, then take advantage of the rule.
Just because the rules allow changing a lineup does NOT mean it's ETHICAL to do so? Sure, you can take advantage of the rule. It still doesn't make it right. Similarly, at the end of the year, if there's no rule in place, does it mean that a last place team can submit a crappy lineup to get a better pick? Or do you think that's somewhat unethical?You don't need a "rule" for ethical behavior. You put your best lineup in. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything else is most definitely unethical, ESPECIALLY if it's to gain an advantage in waiver priority.
What is unethical about attempting to improve your waiver position if the overall goal is to be above all other owners in the standings by the end of the season?

If there is something I can do early in my season to improve my chances to MAKE the playoffs and WIN the league, I'm going to do it.

Throwing a game to gain better waiver priority is a little shaky as that L could ultimately cost you entry to the playoffs or a 1st round bye etc., but it is YOUR team. You paid to play, you play to win. We're all not trying to win just one game, its about being there in the end.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

There will be more threads with a similar question about throwing games for playoff matchups. I can't believe that commish's don't make a rule against throwing games.
But he's not throwing a game in this case...he's already lost. He just doesn't want to score more points than the next guy in line. Throwing games is one thing and I'm completely against that. Trying to be low point man after you've already lost is completely different. Though this opens a big can of worms which ultimately could lead into tanking so I probably wouldn't do it, especially as a commish.

IMO, tanking is unethical

IMO - The definition of tanking: Intentionally submitting a lesser lineup in order to lower your points output...

With you being the commish, you'd better not ride the fence on this issue, and if I were you I would implement both a blind bid waiver system and rules about tanking.

It's just bad sportsmanship...

Im 0-2 and im losing by like 65+ points so there is no chance I win tonight. I have Greg Jennigs and Jermicheal Finley to go. The only other team that is winless has around 35 more points than me. So if Jennigs and Finley get more than 35 points I will choose 2nd in the Waiver claims. I am a Ray Rice owner and need McGahee know he I score more than 35 he will take McGahee and im hurting for RB. So is it unethical to throw a game so you get the better Waiver claim position. This is a decent size money league. what would u do
Yes, it is certainly unethical and it is hard to argue otherwise.That being said, be careful what you wish for. There may have been those who threw their Week 1 contest to get the highest draft pick. However, the consensus waiver wire selection the following week, Brandon Jackson, did not turn out to be worth an 0-1 record. Every win is important and if you throw a game (or reduce points) in order to get priority to pick a player, the last laugh may be on you.

It's unethical and I'd be pissed if a team in my league did it. If it was the COMMISH of the league, well that'd be my last year in that league. JMO.

IMO, tanking is unethicalIMO - The definition of tanking: Intentionally submitting a lesser lineup in order to lower your points output...With you being the commish, you'd better not ride the fence on this issue, and if I were you I would implement both a blind bid waiver system and rules about tanking.It's just bad sportsmanship...
:goodposting: What he said, end of story. I'd put it in the rules today.

Very surprised at some of the posts in this thread. There is NOTHING unethical about what you're doing. You're not affecting the outcome of the game at all. You're not costing anyone a win or a loss. You're not affecting the league standings and you're not affecting playoff seeding.

The ONLY thing you're doing is trying to help your team improve. You'll have the same record either way and you're not handing anyone a gift win or anything. There's nothing "ethical" about choosing to lose by 30 and hurt your team over liosing by 65 and giving yourself a chance to compete.

Here's what you owe your fellow owners: You need to try and win every game. You don't owe them a blowout win or loss. You tried to win but didn't. You've discharged your responsibility to your fellow owners. Now take care of your team.

Very surprised at some of the posts in this thread. There is NOTHING unethical about what you're doing. You're not affecting the outcome of the game at all. You're not costing anyone a win or a loss. You're not affecting the league standings and you're not affecting playoff seeding. The ONLY thing you're doing is trying to help your team improve. You'll have the same record either way and you're not handing anyone a gift win or anything. There's nothing "ethical" about choosing to lose by 30 and hurt your team over liosing by 65 and giving yourself a chance to compete. Here's what you owe your fellow owners: You need to try and win every game. You don't owe them a blowout win or loss. You tried to win but didn't. You've discharged your responsibility to your fellow owners. Now take care of your team.
what he said...

Just because the rules allow changing a lineup does NOT mean it's ETHICAL to do so? Sure, you can take advantage of the rule. It still doesn't make it right. Similarly, at the end of the year, if there's no rule in place, does it mean that a last place team can submit a crappy lineup to get a better pick? Or do you think that's somewhat unethical?You don't need a "rule" for ethical behavior. You put your best lineup in. End of story.
If you don't have a draft lottery for the bottom couple teams, then by all means tank away. Why should you try to win a game to shoot yourself in the foot for the following year. Do you like being in the bottom every year?

IMO, tanking is unethicalIMO - The definition of tanking: Intentionally submitting a lesser lineup in order to lower your points output...With you being the commish, you'd better not ride the fence on this issue, and if I were you I would implement both a blind bid waiver system and rules about tanking.It's just bad sportsmanship...
:wolf: What he said, end of story. I'd put it in the rules today.
So he should do the "ethical" thing and let his competitor get the backup for his best running back. Thus positioning himself to lose a couple more times over the next couple weeks and probably be eliminated from the playoff hunt.But hey, at least he did the "ethical" thing right.

So he should do the "ethical" thing and let his competitor get the backup for his best running back. Thus positioning himself to lose a couple more times over the next couple weeks and probably be eliminated from the playoff hunt.But hey, at least he did the "ethical" thing right.
You are entitled to your opinion, but not all of us believe that the ends justify the means.

gianmarco said:
Completely disagree. All part of the competitive nature. If he has the option of putting 2 players in there that he feels will perform worse than the 2 he current has thus creating a benefit to his team for the rest of the season, he needs to do it. He's taking a loss already. Why compound it by losing the waiver pickup he could have received by making sure his total points are as low as possible? This is not an ethical issue. Its a competitive issue. By all means do it.Now had he purposely put in a terrible lineup before this week began, that could be an ethical issue. But who purposely sets out to lose a game before they have even started playing? Thats just dumb.

I'm still waiting to hear how he plans on tanking, is he just benching those 2 guys and not replacing them ? I find it hard to believe he has two other players from the 2 Monday night teams he can use that wouldn't also have an outside chance at scoring him those points. What is he rostering the Green Bay backup TE and 5th Bears WR ?

I'm torn about this myself. Honestly, if you know you can't win the game at hand, your second priority is to think about the future. The season is more than one game and your goal as a manager is not to just win one game, but to win it all. Sacrificing a game you already lost so that you can be more competitive later on seems to coincide with this philosophy that every team should strive to be the best team possible and in that way, the league overall will be competitive and fair. Good feelings and playing nice is a consideration but competitiveness should override this.

At the same, if everyone is going to be pissed at you for doing so and everyone feels that it is unfair then it might not be worth doing. Winning is important but sometimes it is not worth sacrificing relationships with other people over something as small as this.

However, your league should recognize this issue and have rules regarding it. If you are unsure, I'd probably ask. If you are too afraid to ask then you probably recognize it as wrong and are trying to hide that fact. That being said, I hate leagues that reset the order each week and give priority waiver to losing teams. If they are against tanking then the current waiver system should be changed to one where tanking has no incentive. Either that or there should be an incentive to score the highest points each week/overall such as a cash bonus. That would have a much bigger impact than just plain ethics.

Your responsibility as a fantasy owner is to field your best team each week and see how it shakes out, end of story.

squistion said:
dagwood said:
AngryPatriot said:
Carolina Hustler said:
You are entitled to your opinion, but not all of us believe that the ends justify the means.
Can you explain how "losing by a moderate amount" is more ethical than "losing by a lot?" It's losing either way. I don't want someone to act unethically, but I'm not understanding how it's more "ethical" to hurt your own team on purpose when the outcome of the game cannot be changed. If he wanted to change the outcome of the game, I could see the ethics question. But how is purposely costing yourself a player you need, and gaining nothing in return, more ethical? Sounds short-sighted.

squistion said:
dagwood said:
AngryPatriot said:
Carolina Hustler said:
:clap: What he said, end of story. I'd put it in the rules today.
Can you explain how "losing by a moderate amount" is more ethical than "losing by a lot?" It's losing either way. I don't want someone to act unethically, but I'm not understanding how it's more "ethical" to hurt your own team on purpose when the outcome of the game cannot be changed. If he wanted to change the outcome of the game, I could see the ethics question. But how is purposely costing yourself a player you need, and gaining nothing in return, more ethical? Sounds short-sighted.
He's intentionally fielding a lesser team to improve his waiver priority. Intentionally fielding a lesser team, for whatever reason, is unethical. It doesn't matter whether or not he paid because his actions are affecting other teams (i.e. the team that fielded a legit lineup and now will have a lower priority). The only reason he has this option is because he has players going on Monday night.

Your responsibility as a fantasy owner is to field your best team each week and see how it shakes out, end of story.
He already saw how it shook out. He lost. Isn't part of his responsibility to try and make the playoffs? Win next week, too? Put himself in a position to bounce back from the loss? What does losing AND hurting waiver priority accomplish?

As commish, you should submit a full lineup every week. If you have other players to replace Finley and Jennings it is fine but dont just bench them. While I personally dont think there is anything wrong with it, it is firmly in the gray area and you can be sure several members of your league will be upset. Your credibility to do anything "for the good of the league" the rest of the year will be shot.

As commish, you should submit a full lineup every week. If you have other players to replace Finley and Jennings it is fine but dont just bench them. While I personally dont think there is anything wrong with it, it is firmly in the gray area and you can be sure several members of your league will be upset. Your credibility to do anything "for the good of the league" the rest of the year will be shot.
I didn't think you could bench a player. Most sites won't let you have a game without a full lineup. This whole debate, IMO, was whether he should switch these 2 with lesser players. Benching them and not playing 2 players is COMPLETELY unethical.

gianmarco said:
I'm absolutely shocked at some of the responses in this thread.

You put your best lineup in every week. Period. Anything else is most definitely unethical, ESPECIALLY if it's to gain an advantage in waiver priority.

Now, whether or not there's rules in your league for this and whether you choose to do it is one thing. But, is it unethical? 100% yes.
You can't even guarantee THIS every week. When you actually have a chance to know how something, ANYTHING in fantasy football will turn out, you take advantage of it. There's no rule in place stopping him, he's not hurting anyone's matchup, and he's trying to better his team. Where's the harm in that?

pipman33 said:
How would you "throw" the game? Do you have another WR and TE that are playing tonight that you could sub in for Jennings and Finley. If so, I think that is your right to start whoever you want on your roster; you might piss some people off, but I don't think it would be unethical. If not, would you go with two empty roster spots? Would your league allow it; and even if it does, you'll definitely piss some people off.

Users who are viewing this thread