What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unofficial fifth pick thread (1 Viewer)

[SIZE=10.5pt]Spelling out fifth should make it easier to search for than 5th I think.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

bolded players more likely to be gone

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ok so in a 12 [/SIZE]team ppr I think the first pick comes down to a rb or Calvin

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I will assume that Peterson and Martin will be gone. That leaves Foster, Charles, Rice, TRICH, Spiller and Calvin. I am getting spooked about Foster, TRICH, and Spiller. Plus now Charles went and hurt himself but it doesn't seem that bad. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think I would take Charles - Calvin - Rice in that order unless we get bad news about Charles beforehand. Certainly the other rb's make sense and all have solid arguments.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2nd round [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Morris, Chris Johnson[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt], Forte, SJAX at rb[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cobb, Dem. Thomas[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt], Fitz, AJ at wr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Brees and Rodgers at qb[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I like to many of the qb's available later to take one here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If in a start 2 rb league and you take CJ in round 1, I would be inclined to a rb here [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My top 2 targets would be SJAX and D. Thomas. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3rd round[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]qb - Rodgers and Brees[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]rb - Bush, MJD, Murray, Sproles and Ridley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]wr - white, AJ, cruz, vjax, and amendola[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]te - gronk[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It would be hard for me to pass on Rodgers or Brees at this spot[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bush and MJD are the only backs I would consider[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]No thanks on Gronk in the 3rd to much downside here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I would take all the wr's except Amendola[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I take White, AJ, or Cruz if they fall, then a qb if they fall. Likely get Bush, VJAX, or MJD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]After 3 rounds - I think I like all the possible scenarios [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Calvin, D. Thomas and Bush [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Charles, SJAX, and VJAX[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rice, Thomas, and Brees[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4th round[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]qb - Manning, Newton, Ryan and Brady[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]rb - Sproles, McFadden, Gore, bell and Wilson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]wr - Welker, Decker, Wallace, Wayne, Nicks, Nelson and Colston[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]te - Gronk, Witten[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Manning and Newton are tempting here, not interested in Ryan or Brady here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If Sproles or McFadden fall here, I would have to pull the trigger / Gore and Bell are options for me[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Colston would be the pick in 1 second. The rest are all options[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Gronk and [/SIZE]Witten are both tempting

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Lots of options here that will set the stage for the rest of the draft. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Here is where the number of rb starters begins to really matter for who I would take. but I would go[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Colston, Sproles, McFadden, Newton, Manning, Gronk, Witten, Wayne, Gore, Nelson, Bell[/SIZE]

5th round

[SIZE=10.5pt]Qb- Newton, Ryan and Brady[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rb- Gore, bell, Matthews, ball and Miller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Wr- Nicks, Brown, decker, wallace Nelson, Garcon, the Smiths, and James Jones, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Te- Witten, Gonzo and Davis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Newton would be the choice if no qb on the roster / Still not interested in Ryan or Brady[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Gore is the easy choice if he falls / Miller is a maybe / No interest in Ball[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The wr’s as usual are all possibilities [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Witten like Newton would be an easy choice / Don’t think I take Gonzo or Davis here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Newton, Witten, Gore, a wr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

6th round

Qb – Ryan, Brady, Stafford, Kaepernick, Griffen, Luck, and Wilson

Rb – Ball, Lacy, Vereen, Bernard, Richardson, and Ivory

Wr- J. Jones, DJAX, Stevie, TY, T. Austin, Jennings, Shorts, Gordon, M Austin and M Will

Te- Gonzo

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ryan would be tempting / think I would pass on the rest [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Vereen feels like an option / Pass on the rest I think[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The wr’s other than Gordon are options for me[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Gonzo would be an easy choice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Gonzo, Ryan, Vereen, wr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

7th round

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Qb – Stafford, Romo, Luck, Wilson, Romo and Griffen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rb- Richardson, Ivory, Mendenhall and Bradshaw [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Wr- T. Austin, Jennings, M. Williams, M. Austin, Gordon, Shorts, Britt, and Moore[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Te- Olsen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]More than likely want to grab a qb here if no value has fallen in the previous rounds[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Probably grabbing one of these guys if not the qb[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]All are options if things work out that a wr is needed here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]A possibility[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Qb, rb, wr. olsen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If I miss on a qb because of a run, I like Dalton in the 10th and Big Ben in the 11th as a combo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If I miss on a te I’ll take 2 one in the 10th and one in the 12th[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to go on feel. Planning out a draft strategy in advance is a thing of the past. The game has changed. Adjust or get shat on.

I would bold the hell out of Forte in that second round, and if he's there, I'd bump him to the top of the must-have list, especially in ppr.

Forte is about to become easily the best, most complete RB Trestman has ever coached.

Here are the last four seasons for which Trestman was involved heavily in offensive construction, and the receiving numbers of the RB's

M. Pittman - 73/579/2 (11 starts)
C. Garner - 72/578/2 (15 starts)
C. Garner - 91/941/4 (15 starts)
C. Garner - 48/386/1 (9 starts)

There are NO bad receiving seasons anywhere in his HC'ing or OC'ing career. His best pass-catching back always gets force-fed receptions. The only blip you can even come close to pointing to is the year Adrian Murrell had 18 receptions, but that's because Larry Centers was FB on that team, so the duties were split. Derrick Loville had 87 receptions for this guy.

Unless he so radically alters Forte's rushing history as to force him to become a totally different player, you can pencil Forte in for 1000/6, give or take. Add to that that Forte is a great and prolific receiver ALREADY. But has never had anything like a coach who will salivate to get him in space like Trestman will.

I would be shocked if Forte didn't pace for 80/800 through the air. Toss in a few TD's and you're looking at numbers that would have put him in the top 5 RB's in NON-PPR last year. Add in what I think most sane people who are familiar with Trestman's playcalling tendencies are projecting as league-leading receptions among RB's, and I think Forte is all but a slam dunk to be a top 5 PPR RB on a per game basis.

Now, you do have to consider whether you side with those who seem to think of him as "fragile." I do not. He was very durable for his first few years, and his injuries the last couple years, he bounced back from surprisingly quickly and with little trouble. I don't see him as a worse bet than any other RB to stay healthy.

I think he's a steal where he's being valued this year, and doubly so in PPR.

I've been mocking for the last week out of the 5 hole in 12 team ppr and i have been generally very pleased with my outcomes..

General team has looked something like this

1. Spiller/Charles/Trent

2. Marshall/Ridley/Demaryius

3. This one is a tough spot.. It's been touch choice b/w McFadden/Cobb/Bell/Miller/Wilson

4. Usually go back to WR here for Amendola/Bowe/Vjax

5. back to RB for either Ivory/Gio/Lacy or maybe if the value is there someone like Garcon/Welker

6. pretty much from feel from here on out.. Snag a QBBC and a couple high-flyer TEs like Bennet/Cook/Etc.

You really need to go on feel. Planning out a draft strategy in advance is a thing of the past. The game has changed. Adjust or get shat on.
Not entirely true if you are familiar with your league's tendencies. For example, I have pole position and typically 14WRs (WR5-18) go between the 2-3 turn and the 4-5 turn. I have a short list of non-WRs that I will jump on, other than that I am really looking at the WR5-8 and trying to figure out who I like.

:scared:
Exactly. You just need to practice for everything. Go to Espn, Yahoo, and FF Calc and do mock drafts. Get it through your skull that you need to adapt to all kinds of drafting and learn to take what is given to you as value.
drafting on espn, yahoo, ff calc, mock draft central is ####### pointless. They all draft right off their ####y adp. Thanks for the input though. :thumbup: And to be clear the game hasn't changed at all.

Exactly. You just need to practice for everything. Go to Espn, Yahoo, and FF Calc and do mock drafts. Get it through your skull that you need to adapt to all kinds of drafting and learn to take what is given to you as value.
drafting on espn, yahoo, ff calc, mock draft central is ####### pointless. They all draft right off their ####y adp. Thanks for the input though. :thumbup: And to be clear the game hasn't changed at all.
Have to disagree. I try and mock from as many different sites as possible for this reason. You never know what can happen on draft day.

Have to disagree. I try and mock from as many different sites as possible for this reason. You never know what can happen on draft day.
You can just look at their rankings and mock it yourself. Just use their rankings with dd and do a my mock draft and you will get almost the same exact results. I don't know if most users of those sites know that their is a down arrow on the player pool window.

I'm confused about this part in the 2nd round:

If in a start 2 rb league and you take CJ in round 1, I would be inclined to a rb here

Assuming you mean CJ as Calvin Johnson, there's NO way you grab D. Thomas in the 2nd. First, I think you're crazy taking Calvin at the 5 spot, but if you feel like he's worth it, you MUST grab the best RB available in the 2nd and then probably again in the 3rd.

I'm confused about this part in the 2nd round:

If in a start 2 rb league and you take CJ in round 1, I would be inclined to a rb here

Assuming you mean CJ as Calvin Johnson, there's NO way you grab D. Thomas in the 2nd. First, I think you're crazy taking Calvin at the 5 spot, but if you feel like he's worth it, you MUST grab the best RB available in the 2nd and then probably again in the 3rd.
Depends on league setup. I can start up to 4 wrs and only 1 rb in a couple of my leagues. Even in the start 2 rb / 3 wr leagues. Their is nothing you must do. Plenty of ways to put a good roster together.

Stupidest ####### point brought up every year.Stay flexible!!! No ####### ####. If peterson drops to me at five I wont pick him because my strategy said take charles. Arrrggghhaaahhhhaahhhh!

Would you trade the 5 slot for the 9th or 10th slot, to get the turn around picks, in a 10 team PPR league? Seems like there is a better chance of getting on top 10 rb and one top 10 wr at the end of the draft from my mock drafts.

Also, from what I can tell the 5 slot seems to force you to pass on calvin johnson and to grab a RB as a 1rst pick, otherwise most of the top tier RB will not be available in round 2, which makes you take another rb in round 3 losing out on a wr, qb or high end te

I have to speak frankly here. People need something to talk about. You know what my strategy is? Knocking your Johnson in the dirt...every week. I do this because I understand the game, know how to evaluate talent and know how to build am effective roster on the fly. Sure I might write down or commit to memory a handful of late rounders I'm interested in but if you need a roadmap for the first 12-14 rounds you just don't have a grasp on the league. This place would go out of business if people didn't think they needed that crutch. I don't need anything. I come here to give, not to take.

I don't think there is anything wrong with planning your draft....I have my plan A B C and D in my head right now, Sure I will mix it up if I see an insane value...any good ff player will.

I have to speak frankly here. People need something to talk about. You know what my strategy is? Knocking your Johnson in the dirt...every week. I do this because I understand the game, know how to evaluate talent and know how to build am effective roster on the fly. Sure I might write down or commit to memory a handful of late rounders I'm interested in but if you need a roadmap for the first 12-14 rounds you just don't have a grasp on the league. This place would go out of business if people didn't think they needed that crutch. I don't need anything. I come here to give, not to take.
From what I can see you are here to be a pompous ###, which is fine we need people like that around here.

I agree this seems like overkill on how you've planned this out. I like a good draft plan, but you don't know who will be on the board. As a general 5th pick strat (I also pick 5 in my big league but its not ppr), I am going after trich/charles. Calvin wouldn't be a bad pick there, but you HAVE to go rb/rb after that. This year is very different and lots of teams in champions teams are going RB/RB/RB. WIth the dropoff you need 1-2 rbs in those first 3 picks, so I think your safest bet might be to take the RB you like most between charles/trich/spiller... then round 2 if there's a rb you love there, take him... if there's a wr you take there, take him. Then take the opposite position you took in round 2, in round 3. Doubt brees/rodgers will be there in round 3, but as much as I hate taking qbs early, I think you simply have to take brees or rodgers at 3.05 if theyr'e there, then not worry about qb and just go after your rbs/wrs exclusively for a few rounds.

at the 5th pick, it's crucial to go for the player that is the most consistent, year after year...

Ray Rice , Calvin, or even a QB like Brees , Rodgers , Brady - the safe play has a nice quality to it...it's hard to recover from a high pick that doesn't pan out. if Spiller, Richardon ,Foster ( who is still dogged by nagging injuries) dont play up to the expectations of a top 5 pick,you're screwed..it's usually better to 'lay up' , in golf terms..take the safe approach when picking that early in a draft..

the OP mentioned going after Sjax in round 2 - a very bad idea..Sjax looks slow, has a ton of mileage on his legs, and is in the twilight of his career..as someone else mentioned,you're best bet is to take a guy like Forte in 2nd round,especially in PPR..

just picked 5th out a 12 team ppr league, starting 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, flex(wr, rb,te), def, k

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri

shade said:
just picked 5th out a 12 team ppr league, starting 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, flex(wr, rb,te), def, k

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
I like that team a lot from the 5 hole.

shade said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
We're there any other people in your league?

shade said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
All selecting QBs it seems. Speaking of which... Alex Smith? Jeff Garcia wasn't available?

Could you please update your signature when you are in a giving mood?

Drafted yesterday morning in the 5th...

6 pt tds for everything, .5 ppr, 12 teams WR/TE are grouped together 1QB 2RB 3WR/TE 1K 1DEF

QB: Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick
RB: C.J. Spiller, Reggie Bush, Eddie Lacy, Fred Jackson
WR: Roddy White, Danny Amendola, T.Y. Hilton, Kenbrell Thompkins TE: Jordan Cameron, Brandon Pettigrew, Zach Sudfeld
PK: Josh Brown
TD: Minnesota Vikings

2nd round pick is brutal if the top 4 qbs, top 4 WR, and top Rbs are all gone. This happened to me. Just missed getting Forte...

shade said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
No doubt. From my PPR sheets, that looks like 4 of the top 18 picks, and 5 of the top 25. Ridiculous.

Yea 5 qbs went in the first 2 rounds. Then in the 3rd faced a tough decision between grahm and julio. Then I was shocked cj and bush fell to me next couplr of rounds

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
No doubt. From my PPR sheets, that looks like 4 of the top 18 picks, and 5 of the top 25. Ridiculous.
I am surprised that Doug martin went 5. Who went 2-4? I am seriously looking at McCooy. He looked real good the other night.

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
I am surprised that Doug martin went 5. Who went 2-4? I am seriously looking at McCooy. He looked real good the other night.

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
That's what surprised you? Not Green at 20, Julio at 29, Chris Johnson at 44 or Reggie Bush at 53? Plus, apparently, Jimmy Graham available at 29? I don't think you can learn anything from this draft that would be useful in preparing for one.

fanaticskinsfan said:
Shrek said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
I have them AP - Charles - Calvin - Rice - Martin.

fanaticskinsfan said:
Shrek said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri

fanaticskinsfan said:
actually it was foster, rodgers, manning, AP..

Shrek said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri

fanaticskinsfan said:
actually it was foster, rodgers

, manning, AP..

Shrek said:

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri

Doug martin

AJ green

Julio Jones

Chris johnson

reggie bush

jordy nelson

vereen

jordan cameron

givens

mike williams

giovani bernard

ravens

j cook

blackmon

b pierce

alex smith

cordarrelle patterson

vinatieri
Also, is this a cash league and if so can I join?

Actually this is how it went. Foster, rodgers, manning, AP.. then it was just running backs and a couple of receivers till it got to me. I just took the next best player. Yea this is a money league that hopefully ill be able ti dominate lol

Actually this is how it went. Foster, rodgers, manning, AP.. then it was just running backs and a couple of receivers till it got to me. I just took the next best player. Yea this is a money league that hopefully ill be able ti dominate lol
Wait a minute here. Rodgers went #2 and Manning #3?

What qbs did you pass up in rounds 8 and after?

Feel like you could have been loaded if you replace Alex smith. Don't understand why you waited so long for qb with a stacked roster and plenty of talent left to fall.

What qbs did you pass up in rounds 8 and after?Feel like you could have been loaded if you replace Alex smith. Don't understand why you waited so long for qb with a stacked roster and plenty of talent left to fall.
Wait a minute I forgot all about Romo. I picked him up in the 6th. Alex smith is my backup:)

Users who are viewing this thread