What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unorthodox Things You Do (1 Viewer)

Whenever I find one somewhere else, I chuck it in the driveway when I get home.

Over time they've built up.

It's kind of like the Island of Lost Pennies... or something.
This is ridiculous.  Just keep a roll of pennies in your car if you're that set on it. 

You know what really sucks, is in the winter, all the pennies get scraped up at some point when snow is shoveled and tossed into the grass.

Then the whole process starts over again in the spring.

It's possible that I might accidentally drop a penny every now and then to help things along.

Every day, first time I'm in driveway each day (usually leaving for work), I find a penny, then toss it over my left shoulder.

I'm not really superstitious, and I wouldn't sweat it if I forgot to do it, but on the other hand if I'm pulling out of the driveway and remember at the last moment that I forgot to do it, I'll jump out and take care of it.

A few times I've had to walk around in pouring rain to find a penny.
Who the hell keeps dropping pennies in your driveway?

Often set an alarm in the middle of the night.  I love the feeling of waking up and then realizing that I have numerous hours left before I have to get up.
That will backfire on you when you reach a point in your life where you can't get back to sleep when woken up in the middle of the night. 

Does your family know about this? It’s fascinating.
To be journalistically accurate, I asked my wife what she thinks about it.

She said I've been doing it for so long that she doesn't give a second thought anymore - she just knows I'm going to do it whenever we're going somewhere.

She also surprised me by saying that from time to time, previously unknown to me, she'll move one of the pennies to a new spot so it's easier to find.  :wub:

To be journalistically accurate, I asked my wife what she thinks about it.

She said I've been doing it for so long that she doesn't give a second thought anymore - she just knows I'm going to do it whenever we're going somewhere.

She also surprised me by saying that from time to time, previously unknown to me, she'll move one of the pennies to a new spot so it's easier to find.  :wub:
I'm not going to do this, but I had a little daydream of fnding out where you live and going to your house with several hefty bags full of penny-sized copper slugs and a video camera.

Yeah WTF is actually suppossed to be the advantage of doing this?  Pretty much guarantees the kid becomes overly dependent on the parent.  Why one would think this gives the kid “courage” seems ridiculous.
The Google has plenty of info out there if you’re really interested. Think about it though... this concept of living in 3,000 square foot structures with a separate living space for each person is unique to modern times. And it’s really more of a western cultural practice. Cosleeping is a lot more common around the world - in eastern cultures, for example. For millions of years the family slept together in the same tent or whatever - it’s really not that uncommon. 

Does it really seem that ridiculous that a child might be less fearful when he encounters fewer scary situations? I never said he had more ‘courage.’ I said he has less fear. 

In all honesty, and I've always liked your posts, sublimeone, my brother got divorced over his wife's insistence on co-sleeping. It's a Mayim Bialik new-age endorsed Cali load of bunk, and I say that with kindness. 

If it works for you, go for it. But it's likely a really bad practice. This isn't a lecture; this is a dissent from the practice. 

Here's what I would say: "Hey kid, GTFO. Your mom and I want to have relations. If your Mom doesn't want to have relations, I'll explain why we got divorced at twenty." 

It's really the only justification for divorce -- and people on the board know how conservative and anti-divorce I am -- that I'm totally cool with. That's why it's called the "marital bed," and not the "family one" for most. But if you're cool with it, rock on. I just don't see the justification, but this is the unorthodox thread, so boogie two.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wildly unorthodox. I'd get slapped with a suspension if I wrote it, so...

Yeah. I get the penny stuff. Sounds OCD but darn fun. What else are you gonna do when you keep getting plowed in by snowplows (as those of us in cold weather areas can understand) and the only thing that makes your morning commute happy is spare change. Screw it. Throw the salt over your shoulder and shrug about the vagaries and drudgery of life. Pennies are anachronistic. The modern word is always trying to get rid of anachronisms, and we keep fighting for simpler, more fun and less efficient and rational ways of being. 

THROW A PENNY IN YOUR DRIVEWAY AND LOVE IT.  

Every day, first time I'm in driveway each day (usually leaving for work), I find a penny, then toss it over my left shoulder.

I'm not really superstitious, and I wouldn't sweat it if I forgot to do it, but on the other hand if I'm pulling out of the driveway and remember at the last moment that I forgot to do it, I'll jump out and take care of it.

A few times I've had to walk around in pouring rain to find a penny.
Bonus for wheat pennies?

Whenever I find one somewhere else, I chuck it in the driveway when I get home.

Over time they've built up.

It's kind of like the Island of Lost Pennies... or something.
I remember when I was a little kid how excited I would get when I found money. So once in a while I pay with cash instead of a cc. When I get outside the store I drop any coins I received on the ground.

I remember when I was a little kid how excited I would get when I found money. So once in a while I pay with cash instead of a cc. When I get outside the store I drop any coins I received on the ground.
That's an FBG! 

Actually, doesn't an FBG save those for a dinner at French Laundry or a trip to Geneva or something like that? 

You know what really sucks, is in the winter, all the pennies get scraped up at some point when snow is shoveled and tossed into the grass.

Then the whole process starts over again in the spring.

It's possible that I might accidentally drop a penny every now and then to help things along.

So when you mow grass in the summer random pennies fly out and slam people in the head?  Nice.  :ninja:

The Google has plenty of info out there if you’re really interested. Think about it though... this concept of living in 3,000 square foot structures with a separate living space for each person is unique to modern times. And it’s really more of a western cultural practice. Cosleeping is a lot more common around the world - in eastern cultures, for example. For millions of years the family slept together in the same tent or whatever - it’s really not that uncommon. 

Does it really seem that ridiculous that a child might be less fearful when he encounters fewer scary situations? I never said he had more ‘courage.’ I said he has less fear. 

They used to sacrifice their youngest in volcanoes too.  Things change.

On the penny note...when I leave some place with change, I'll leave the pennies somewhere inconspicuous like on a window ledge or drop them on the ground.
I just throw them in the garbage anymore if they dont have a penny tray at the counter. Rarely use cash (especially change) for anything anymore and dont need those things cluttering up my console trays.

I just throw them in the garbage anymore if they dont have a penny tray at the counter. Rarely use cash (especially change) for anything anymore and dont need those things cluttering up my console trays.
I throw my loose change in a can in the garage. Once a year I cash them in and donate them to a local cause. Last year ended up with about $200 that went to a couple of my favorite charities. 

I throw my loose change in a can in the garage. Once a year I cash them in and donate them to a local cause. Last year ended up with about $200 that went to a couple of my favorite charities. 
:thumbup:

I throw all my sliver change into a container too, but Im not bothering to collect 100 pennies just so I can have an extra buck. I felt kinda uncomfortable doing it the first couple times, but now I dont GAF. Its been liberating.

In all honesty, and I've always liked your posts, sublimeone, my brother got divorced over his wife's insistence on co-sleeping. It's a Mayim Bialik new-age endorsed Cali load of bunk, and I say that with kindness. 

If it works for you, go for it. But it's likely a really bad practice. This isn't a lecture; this is a dissent from the practice. 

Here's what I would say: "Hey kid, GTFO. Your mom and I want to have relations. If your Mom doesn't want to have relations, I'll explain why we got divorced at twenty." 

It's really the only justification for divorce -- and people on the board know how conservative and anti-divorce I am -- that I'm totally cool with. That's why it's called the "marital bed," and not the "family one" for most. But if you're cool with it, rock on. I just don't see the justification, but this is the unorthodox thread, so boogie two.  
No offense taken and the appreciation is mutual. 

I understand this isn't going to work for everyone but it works for us and part of the reason is that my wife understands it would be a point of contention if our sex life dried up. We have just as much sex as we did prior to having kids. I'll send her a text message to meet somewhere once they fall asleep or if we feel the urge during the day we throw on a cartoon and go back for a quickie... heck, I even go home over my lunch break on occasion for a quickie. So a big part of why it works is because my wife is willing about 95% of the time... I very rarely get turned down. I realize that is not the norm. 

Also - we don't plan on doing this forever. Once my younger one is weaned we plan on getting them bunk beds and putting them in their own rooms. 

It's not the kids nowadays who are gonna get excited about that change. Some bum probably finds it and just got himself a little bit closer to some drugs

No offense taken and the appreciation is mutual. 

I understand this isn't going to work for everyone but it works for us and part of the reason is that my wife understands it would be a point of contention if our sex life dried up. We have just as much sex as we did prior to having kids. I'll send her a text message to meet somewhere once they fall asleep or if we feel the urge during the day we throw on a cartoon and go back for a quickie... heck, I even go home over my lunch break on occasion for a quickie. So a big part of why it works is because my wife is willing about 95% of the time... I very rarely get turned down. I realize that is not the norm. 

Also - we don't plan on doing this forever. Once my younger one is weaned we plan on getting them bunk beds and putting them in their own rooms. 
Your 2 and 4-yo boys are still breastfeeding, aren’t they.

I pour the Fun Dip powder straight in my mouth!  then sometimes later I chomp down the sticks

Your 2 and 4-yo boys are still breastfeeding, aren’t they.
just the 2 year old and I wouldn't classify it as 'breastfeeding' - he just like a little nip action in the evening. My wife doesn't think she's producing milk anymore - thinks its more of a comfort thing.

just the 2 year old and I wouldn't classify it as 'breastfeeding' - he just like a little nip action in the evening. My wife doesn't think she's producing milk anymore - thinks its more of a comfort thing.
I don't know enough about child development to know if this isn't  :fishing: . Shouldn't two year-olds be eating solids and not mucous? I guess if they pick their nose...

Best of luck to you, sublime. 

This is why I haven't been married, I guess, though the ole SWC'er disagrees.  

What's this now?
Oh, the whole weird chick thing. I watched my brother go through this exact scenario (no fishing nor lying) and I haven't been married and SWC laughed and had a different reason that I haven't been married that was partially right. I'm an obstreperous dude and stubborn and all those things. I'm an #######. It was cool. I'm cool with that, and cool with myself. Partially just seeing if I can yank him out of semi-retirement.

Lots of divorces I see, and this hit home because I watched it and thought incest might be going on and how lousy that was.   

I do this. I figure that 48 cents will make someone else happier than it makes me. 

I don't know enough about child development to know if this isn't  :fishing: . Shouldn't two year-olds be eating solids and not mucous? I guess if they pick their nose...

Best of luck to you, sublime. 

This is why I haven't been married, I guess, though the ole SWC'er disagrees.  
Comfort nursing... sucking a pacifier is the same exact thing. They aren't getting any milk out - they do it for comfort. My kids never took to pacifiers so at the end of the day sometimes my 2-year old nurses for a few minutes. It's a bonding/comfort thing. Totally normal.

Users who are viewing this thread