What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (10 Viewers)

Was thinking about this last night, and our program is just not where the public perception has us right now.

There's zero question that CP, Weah, McKennie are among the best players to ever put on the US jersey. Legit top-5 league players who matter for their teams.

I'd put Adams in that category too, but he's been hurt so long it feels like there's an asterisk. I'd also put Jedi in that group, but I think he's underrated by most people. Ream too, but he's 36.

So that's 3 legit and 3 maybes by my reckoning.

On the flip side...

We don't have a 9 getting minutes that's proven he can score in a top league. Balogun arguably, but he's not playing right now. The rest are doing it in 2nd tier leagues. Certainly not better than we've had in the past.

Our 2nd CB spot is weak, compared to historical US quality. I love Miles, but he's limited. Richards is not that guy IMO. Quality drops after that.

Our best GK is ok, but also limited and a spot starter on a bad team. Huge step down from the Trinity of Friedel, Keller, Howard.

Dest is sexy, but gets cooked in almost every 1v1 defensively. Which is kind of a problem for a defender. Scally is a mystery right now. And at this point I'm not sure RB is the strength we thought it was in general.

Reyna is so talented, but we have a lot of coaches now all telling us... something. YMMV on what that is, but the "it's a Berhalter thing" ship has sailed.

Musah does some good things really well, but is not well rounded and offers nothing in the final third. I'm biased in favor of physical tank shuttlers, but IMO you still need something in the G/A column from an 8. And he's not a 6.

Cardoso may have some promise, especially if the US switched formations.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure this team is as good as the hype from a year ago, and may not really be all that much better than past versions of the USWNT. And suggesting we should be top-10 in the world is a pipe dream right now.

When everyone is healthy and in form, we can beat anyone in the world without fluky stuff -- we have some ballers -- but it won't be consistent until we have CP, McKennie level players at every position and they fit together as a front 7 in clear roles. Compared to the quality and depth of the actual top 10 teams, we're a long way off right now.
Agree with everything except Weah. He is no where near the level of top US guys when at club. He is mostly just a squad guy. He could be replaced instantly at Juventus and no one would notice. He plays so much better for US than club.

Jedi belongs in the top group. Plays every minute of every game for a solid mid table team in the best league in the world and has a chunk of top teams wanting to sign him. This is night and day difference from Weah.

We needed both Reyna and Balogun to ascend this year and it did not happen. Balogun took a big step back and Reyna face planted at club level. Adams on shelf for so long was unfortunate as well.
Fwiw, all reports are that Juve is moving on from Weah and looking for wing back replacements.

I think you could go all the way back to 1994 and find guys on each cycle who could slot into this team, quality-wise across the field.

Yeah, we have guys doing bigger things for bigger clubs.. but so far, the top end of this team doesn't show me much more than other teams in history (but dammit- I do see extended glimpses of it). These next couple years will determine if they've genuinely progressed past previous heights.

But again, there's never been a team anywhere near this deep. The level of talent since the academy setup creation has pushed our high, not top, level guys way up so that you can look at replacement players like Johnny and say... Sure, it's not going to kill us if any of the next 11 have to play.

Last edited:
Game ends 2-2.

Considering France is one of the big favorites to win the Gold this summer, this should give the US some confidence to get out of the group.

WRT this current USMNT vs. the past....

We haven't lost to Mexico in 5 years. There has never been another USMNT that was ever "favored" against Mexico in a game, much less this dominant. Yes, a lot of that is on Mexico, but it's not like Mexico has become terrible. They're still a top 15 team in the world. Our continued dominance over them shows how far we've come as a program and in such a short time.

In 2018 we watched the WC from home. By 2022 we played the 3rd best team in the world to a tie in the WC. That's insane progression.

Since the WC, our 1st team(as in when we play our best players) hasn't lost a game. Our "best players" are almost all starting for teams in the top 5 leagues in the world. The only MLS guys left on the roster are dominating MLS in a way that many USMNT didn't in the past, yet still made the USMNT.

Do we have holes... absolutely. We aren't a top 8 team in the world right now. I think we are well on the way to becoming one though. By 2026? Doubtful. By 2030? Maybe. By 2038? I'd bet money on it. Lets just say I like the way we're trending.

As to our weak spots... All those strikers that are playing well in the Championship or for mid level teams in weaker divisions? They're all under 22. We see strikers make jumps all over the world from the ages of 22 to 25. I have hope that at least one of them will be banging in goals routinely in a top 5 league come summer 2026. Same for our CBs. Richards is as good of a 23 year old CB as we've ever had. At a position that usually takes until 27-28 before a guy reaches his prime, he's already not a liability IMO and will only get better. There are other young guys only a step or two behind him as well. Who knows what kind of jumps they'll make before the WC.

As to guys like Dest or Reyna.... Guys that are supremely talented, but limited in what they can do or where they can play? That's all on coaching. We need that talent to compete with the top teams in the world, but that talent needs to be used in a way that doesn't leave us vulnerable. That's on the coaching team to figure out.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure this team is as good as the hype from a year ago, and may not really be all that much better than past versions of the USWNT. And suggesting we should be top-10 in the world is a pipe dream right now.

I think this is a bit hyperbolic. I think there's still a BIG gap between where we are and the very top teams, but that list is a short list.

Here are the current FIFA rankings where the US is 13th.

I don't think the likes of Croatia, Uruguay, or Morocco are any better than the US. The only team that would stand significantly ahead of the US ranked below them is Germany (and they've similarly struggled internationally lately despite having top talent).

And, I know FIFA rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, so I also like to use transfermarkt values to get a gauge of rosters and top level talent. It's not perfect either, but it's a good starting point. And having looked at this a good bit over the last few years, $20M is a good cutoff for quality players that have decent club impact.

When you click on Croatia and sort by highest values, they have 3 guys valued over $20M. They have an elite CB, but the rest of their team is definitely average/below average based on player values.

Uruguay has 4 guys over $20M. Now, granted 3 of those guys are top level values, but 2 of them are defensive players.

Meanwhile, the US has 7 guys at $20M or higher. And, more importantly, these guys are all significantly younger than these other nations ranked around them. Their trajectory is going in the opposite direction of these others.

We aren't anywhere near a France or England that has 17ish players valued higher than our highest player.

Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Spain, and Italy all have 10ish guys $40M+ with a couple elite players ($75M+).

But even when you look at teams like Belgium and Netherlands, their profile of values looks much closer to us than those countries with ridiculous riches of talent. And we aren't far from having the same.

So, all that to say, top 10 isn't a pipe dream at all. It's just that top 10 still isn't good enough. There's at least 2 tiers ahead despite being ranked 10th in the world. And there's a pretty big gap in those tiers.

I think it's reasonable to think the US COULD join that tier of Belgium/Netherlands/Italy/Spain in the next 3-4 years. Not that they will, but they really aren't THAT far off. We aren't going to be France or England anytime soon, but neither are most other countries. And, having that wealth of talent still doesn't guarantee anything at all. See England.

So, if we join that next tier, we would have a legit chance to win a major tournament even though things would have to go right, obviously. We are getting close to the point where we could have a legitimate chance of playing with and beating any team even if not favored. THAT is the biggest thing I see coming in the near future that we've never had, IMO.

ChuckMe92 Soccer
https://twitter.com/ChuckMe92Soccer
@ChuckMe92Socc

Last 24 or so hours for US Soccer:

US U19s (mainly '06s) win 3-2 over the hyped England '05s who had crushed US '05s by 6 goals

USMNT three-peat in CONCACAF's only A-level competition with half the roster age 23 or less

US U23s draw 2-2 vs loaded France U23s (a few MNT caps) on their soil
I'm certain this is a mistype. They beat MEXICO in the last window 7-1. We have not played them at this level previously

ChuckMe92 Soccer
https://twitter.com/ChuckMe92Soccer
@ChuckMe92Socc

Last 24 or so hours for US Soccer:

US U19s (mainly '06s) win 3-2 over the hyped England '05s who had crushed US '05s by 6 goals

USMNT three-peat in CONCACAF's only A-level competition with half the roster age 23 or less

US U23s draw 2-2 vs loaded France U23s (a few MNT caps) on their soil
I'm certain this is a mistype. They beat MEXICO in the last window 7-1. We have not played them at this level previously
It was a mistake.

That was not the tweets fault, that was mine. The tweet used a ton of country flags (instead of names) that did not transfer over when I copied and I was typing in the countries in place of the flags and made a mistake. I will fix in the original post.

Griffin Yow pulls 1 back, 2-1 France

Yow is an interesting case. He's only 21. He's been crushing at Westerlo with 10 goal contributions on the year but it's really hard to see him succeeding at a higher level just because of the eye test. But damn, at some point, production has to matter.

DCU basically gave him away for free 18 months ago. They aren't exactly a beacon of youth appraisals though as they have been pushing Jackson Hopkins as the next big thing but burying guys like Kristian Fletcher.

Yow is an interesting case. He's only 21. He's been crushing at Westerlo with 10 goal contributions on the year but it's really hard to see him succeeding at a higher level just because of the eye test. But damn, at some point, production has to matter.

Of the 5 goals the US scored this camp, he was heavily involved in 4 of them.

1 goal, 2 assists and he made the shot that forced a save and rebound goal for a teammate.

Of the 5 goals the US scored this camp, he was heavily involved in 4 of them.

1 goal, 2 assists and he made the shot that forced a save and rebound goal for a teammate.
I feel like he made a splash when he was first coming up... I remember his name. But then *poof* . Cool to see him making waves again.

Big fan of Wilson (author).

The final paragraph surprised me and also summed up my thoughts.

With an average age of 26 years and 63 days, this was Berhalter’s oldest line-up since 2019, and averaging 37 caps per player it was also his most experienced XI since that year. We’ve grown used to describing Berhalter’s cohorts as up-and-comers but only four starters against Mexico were under 25. In years lived and appearances made the side should be entering its prime. It’s up to them and their manager to prove it with performances of sustained excellence against high-caliber countries. This summer would be a good time to start.

Definitely in the top tier of "what may have been" for US players in history. But when you are made of glass, this is not the sport to play

============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

FC Dallas midfielder Paxton Pomykal has underwent surgery on his left knee to repair cartilage damage. He will be out for the rest of the 2024 season.

He played six minutes off the bench in FCD's opening match of the year

So sad. I rated him above guys like LDLT and as a hopeful Swag level type of guy. Amazing vision. Sucks. Obi a level higher IMO and a greater similar loss... But we'll never know.

Watching this Germany/Netherlands friendly and I just don't see anything about either side that the current US squad couldn't play with.
I watched the first half of the Belgium England game today. If those English mistakes were made by MLS level players, USMNT twitter would be losing their ****.

We may be too hard on our outlook at times.

Last edited:
Watching this Germany/Netherlands friendly and I just don't see anything about either side that the current US squad couldn't play with.
I watched the first half of the Belgium England game today. If those English mistakes were made by MLS level players, USMNT twitter would be losing their ****.

We may be too hard some times on our outlook at times.
I agree.

We easily forget how we played that loaded English team to a draw in the WC.

I think we were significantly outcoached tactically against the Netherlands.

I see us struggle against a team like Jamaica and not being able to break down the low block, see countless #9s struggle to do anything for country when they perform at the club level, and just wish we could see more of a "what if" with another coach. We saw glimpses with BJ.

Everything's better with a bj.

It's obviously not popular here or in the media, but I'll reiterate that even though the US fumbled way too much vs JAM, they still showed enough good stuff to warrant a win out of that. and yes, regardless of the good fortune in the actual result, imo they made their good fortune and deserved it.

They had some one touch passing at times that flat out shredded the press and JAMs D. But kept zardoz-nagbe-ing the final touch in the final third to ruin it. Even still, I'm sure their xG was at least ok.

Everything's better with a bj.

It's obviously not popular here or in the media, but I'll reiterate that even though the US fumbled way too much vs JAM, they still showed enough good stuff to warrant a win out of that. and yes, regardless of the good fortune in the actual result, imo they made their good fortune and deserved it.

They had some one touch passing at times that flat out shredded the press and JAMs D. But kept zardoz-nagbe-ing the final touch in the final third to ruin it. Even still, I'm sure their xG was at least ok.
I don't disagree with most of this.

This summer will be really enlightening to see where we are. Friendlies against Colombia and Brazil and then the Copa America will be a great and well timed test.

Slovenia about to win 2-0 against a loaded Portugal team.

This summer will be really enlightening to see where we are. Friendlies against Colombia and Brazil and then the Copa America will be a great and well timed test.
Read that first sentence through a few times before deciding whether you agreed with me or not.

Yeah... The team has felt capable of beating good teams on a given day for a while now. We'll get to see this summer if they're good enough to do it on more than one given day. Exciting times.

Read that first sentence through a few times before deciding whether you agreed with me or not.

Yeah... The team has felt capable of beating good teams on a given day for a while now. We'll get to see this summer if they're good enough to do it on more than one given day. Exciting times.
What did you decide?

Yes, I was agreeing with you. They could have been better. But they could have been worse, had their moments, and they beat that Jamaica team at least 7 out of 10 matches. But they've got to figure out how to beat teams that bunker against them, especially now that they will be the favored side far more than not. Dumping in crosses against a physical team with numbers like them will never work. They need guys like Reyna or Dest or Pulisic to make those runs into the defense. Keep taking shots from range. The cycle around and dump it in is just to easy to defend. That was the most frustrating thing from that match (and others similar lately) that we STILL haven't changed that up despite having the quality to do so.

Welcome to Harry Maguire!

We may be too hard some times on our outlook at times.
I agree.

We easily forget how we played that loaded English team to a draw in the WC.

I think we were significantly outcoached tactically against the Netherlands.

I see us struggle against a team like Jamaica and not being able to break down the low block, see countless #9s struggle to do anything for country when they perform at the club level, and just wish we could see more of a "what if" with another coach. We saw glimpses with BJ.
I haven't forgot and still maintain to this day that England did not play for a win, and GGG blew the tactics by not pressing Maguire into his routine errors.

And both teams are being held back by subpar managers.

I watched that Tom Rongren US Samoa biopic on the plane yesterday... Fun story and movie.
Huh... I saw the same film on a plane on Sunday. Vegas to Bmore.
Is this the "Next Goal Wins" movie or an actual biopic?

"Next Goal Wins" was fairly cheesy with some over the top acting. Fun enough I guess, but the movie wasn't as good as I am sure the actual story is.
Lol...cheesy? He tells you in the introduction that it's going to be embellished camp. The Godfather it ain't.

I finally watched the whole Mex game... Had only watched the last 20 minutes live on my phone.

My take wasn't as rosy/dominant as most I think. Will comment later when I have some time.

I watched that Tom Rongren US Samoa biopic on the plane yesterday... Fun story and movie.

"Next Goal Wins" was fairly cheesy with some over the top acting. Fun enough I guess, but the movie wasn't as good as I am sure the actual story is.
Lol...cheesy? He tells you in the introduction that it's going to be embellished camp. The Godfather it ain't.

There was a very good documentary on this topic also called "Next Goal Wins". It was a British made film back in 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Goal_Wins_(2014_film)

The documentary helped inspire the Next Goal Wins movie you saw on the plane which was clearly more fictional in nature.

There was a very good documentary on this topic also called "Next Goal Wins". It was a British made film back in 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Goal_Wins_(2014_film)

The documentary helped inspire the Next Goal Wins movie you saw on the plane which was clearly more fictional in nature.
I think @Eephus mentioned both... Maybe in the movies thread.

Oh I wasn't expecting The Godfather or even Days of Future Past. And I didn't really know the story before watching. But unlike most "based on a true story" type movies it just felt more over the top than most.

Oh I wasn't expecting The Godfather or even Days of Future Past. And I didn't really know the story before watching. But unlike most "based on a true story" type movies it just felt more over the top than most.
Taika Waititi was right there in the beginning of the movie to tell us all this was going to be silly. He don't mess around.

Taika Waititi was right there in the beginning of the movie to tell us all this was going to be silly. He don't mess around.
:goodposting:

yeah he doesn't do anything straight forward or normal :lmao:

!!!!!!!

BREAKING: Manchester City & Philadelphia Union have agreed to terms on a deal for US wonderkid Cavan Sullivan, sources say. He stays in Philly until age 18

Sullivan, 14, finalizing richest homegrown deal in MLS history. Union keep big sell-on

Oh this is VERY interesting.

I am going to read WAY between the lines here and assume Philly has virtually guaranteed Cavan a shot at first team minutes at 16ish. This is so much better than going to Lommel at 16 which is what was originally speculated.

I don't have a subscription to the athletic, but did they already decide on a transfer fee or does that come later based on how he performs as a pro?

!!!!!!!

BREAKING: Manchester City & Philadelphia Union have agreed to terms on a deal for US wonderkid Cavan Sullivan, sources say. He stays in Philly until age 18

Sullivan, 14, finalizing richest homegrown deal in MLS history. Union keep big sell-on

Oh this is VERY interesting.

I am going to read WAY between the lines here and assume Philly has virtually guaranteed Cavan a shot at first team minutes at 16ish. This is so much better than going to Lommel at 16 which is what was originally speculated.

I don't have a subscription to the athletic, but did they already decide on a transfer fee or does that come later based on how he performs as a pro?
Still going through it, but there’s add-ons, they kept the big sell-on percentage, and there’s some provision that he can go abroad early (to a City-owned feeder) if he’s deemed to have “outgrown” MLS or something like that

ETA: here’s the exact quote on the last part: The Union agreed with City that it would send Sullivan to a City Football Group side elsewhere in Europe if his development surpasses MLS before his 18th birthday, sources say.

The documentary is fantastic. Its my favorite soccer documentary (runners up are Paleda and Concrete Football.) I don't intend to watch the fictionalized version just based on the fact they couldn't even come up with their own name for it. I couldn't even get through the whole trailer before bailing.

ETA: here’s the exact quote on the last part: The Union agreed with City that it would send Sullivan to a City Football Group side elsewhere in Europe if his development surpasses MLS before his 18th birthday, sources say.
As of today, that sounds like Girona. None of the other CFG teams are in division 1 leagues right now in Europe (sans Man City of course)

If Cavan out grows MLS and moves to a Girona before 18, that would be picture perfect for us.

I like the numbers game. Most won't make it but some will. We need to lower the years gap between getting top end talent to emerge

============

CONCACAF Wonderkids
@CONCACAFWONDERS

Cavan won't be the only 09 heading to Europe.

Hearing that Mathis Albert of the LA Galaxy could be heading to Borussia Dortmund soon!

Last edited:

As of today, that sounds like Girona. None of the other CFG teams are in division 1 leagues right now in Europe (sans Man City of course)

If Cavan out grows MLS and moves to a Girona before 18, that would be picture perfect for us.
Union cannot fumble this. They have skin in the game now long term which is wonderful. But they’re also going to have many more eyes on them as an academy watching how Cavan develops. So don’t rush him into the first team until he is 100% ready for it. If that’s in 2025 or even 2026 so be it.

I have complete faith in their judgement but this is higher stakes for the Union than most MLS teams because they’re way more academy-centric

Sacha Kljestan came out of retirement at 38 and signed for amateur side USL League 2 (waaaaaaaay down the pyramid) Dew Moines Menace.

He went 120 minutes in his very first game and had an assist in an Open Cup win. He also scored the decisive PK when it went to PK's.

So cool :)

Ok this story gets even better.

Twellman is reporting that Sacha has convinced some friends to join him in the heartland.

He is not saying names yet but said it will come out soon.

And Cowell levels minutes later

The documentary is fantastic. It’s my favorite soccer documentary (runners up are Paleda and Concrete Football.) I don't intend to watch the fictionalized version just based on the fact they couldn't even come up with their own name for it. I couldn't even get through the whole trailer before bailing.
i refuse to accept any narrative where Thomas Rongen looks like Michael Fassbender.

Lommel is likely to be promoted this season

Users who are viewing this thread