What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
do we think this camp is too little too late for Gomez? does he need to be brought in to this next "real" camp to help sell him on joining the US?
Gomez interview with Tactical Manager is up. Nothing too enlightening. Will not join the US youth camp because it conflicts with Louisville's playoffs. His brother is contracted with Porto (on loan in Germany somewhere).

He's undecided and when asked to name his friends they are all USMNT prospects (Paredes, Che, Caden Clark), not El Tri. And he's going to go stay at Real Sociedad B (vs a loan) which plays in La Liga 2 so maybe he and Shaq Moore can spar. 

Aronson kinda fluffed a chance in the Salzburg/Wolfsburg game but was otherwise typically excellent in a more midfield role. He really excels at using his quick feet to draw a challenge in and then flick the ball on to an advancing runner.  Also drew a yellow on some Yank on Yank violence from Brooks. 

Salzburg list but we’re more than competitive. Adyemi (maybe the next big thing if Football Manager YouTubers are any indication) didn’t have his finishing boots. 

I did not see the Juve game today but these Weston highlights!!  Oh my, talk about positive play!  Please bring this in the international window.  Teams are going to be crapping their pants if Musah and Weston both do this

https://twitter.com/dis_possessed/status/1455681146717720578?s=20
This is how he's looked the last couple games I've watched. His ability to receive the ball in MF and immediately create something useful on the turn or one time ball.... I've never seen a US MF player do this the way he is. It's combining some of Caillou with Germany and Kobi and Tab. And yeah...Musah has shown some of this too. 

What a freaking roller coaster we're on...with El Sal, Panama lows but hopes and dreams of MMA, CP, Dest, Gio, Aaronson hitting their peak games at the same time and ripping apart just about anybody.

Seeing this with even the limited touches CP got today ..so freaking excited.

yeah, just keeps getting worse :(

==============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Struggling Owen Otasowie will be give a week off by Club Brugge to return to England to be with family as he’s had a hard time adapting to Belgium

This is how he's looked the last couple games I've watched. His ability to receive the ball in MF and immediately create something useful on the turn or one time ball....
He's also top notch at receiving the ball in traffic and creating space for himself with clever little touches into an open area.  Just reads things really well as the ball's arriving.

yeah, just keeps getting worse :(

==============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Struggling Owen Otasowie will be give a week off by Club Brugge to return to England to be with family as he’s had a hard time adapting to Belgium

Maybe the guy just really hates chocolate, frites, and Trappist ales.

FWIW, I never thought he did anything in his appearances with Wolves or with the Nats to make me expect anything of him.  

He's also top notch at receiving the ball in traffic and creating space for himself with clever little touches into an open area.  Just reads things really well as the ball's arriving.
definitely! he's seeing how to navigate out of things so quickly- and then doing it as you say. sometimes holding, sometimes turning, sometimes with a crazy one touch pass that springs their attack into place. it's not always perfect, but I feel like he's been the lynchpin of that team on offense the games I've been watching... even with guys like Chiesa and Dybala on the field.

Maybe the guy just really hates chocolate, frites, and Trappist ales.

FWIW, I never thought he did anything in his appearances with Wolves or with the Nats to make me expect anything of him.  
it's the mayonnaise on everything.

he was a teenager getting occasional minutes with an EPL team, and for the most part looking ok. agree he wasn't exactly "popping" but definitely looked like he belonged. that alone puts him in consideration and had me thinking there was a lot of room for growth as he got more pt. I was happy he moved to a smaller league to try to get more 1st team time- but for whatever reason he's gone the other way... at least for now. still only 20, so there's hope. I mean, Freddy is probably still only 20 too.

What stood out in the highlights last night, and which hasn't always been a strength in Weston's game, IMO, is that Wes took up excellent positions between the lines.  He was in a great space to either quickly hit the overlap outside, or to play a one-two with Dybala (in one case, one of those one-twos very nearly resulted in a goal).  

It's funny that with Allegri being so adamant about emphasizing that Wes is a Mezzala it's almost like Max made Wes sit down and play some Football Manager to figure out where he was supposed to be.  This is probably the best (albeit short) run that I can remember of Wes's career.  Particularly as he still brings what he's always had, which is pure menace in the air. That's still his number one elite skill.  

it's the mayonnaise on everything.

he was a teenager getting occasional minutes with an EPL team, and for the most part looking ok. agree he wasn't exactly "popping" but definitely looked like he belonged. that alone puts him in consideration and had me thinking there was a lot of room for growth as he got more pt. I was happy he moved to a smaller league to try to get more 1st team time- but for whatever reason he's gone the other way... at least for now. still only 20, so there's hope. I mean, Freddy is probably still only 20 too.
I kind of agreed with Doyle that he didn't really seem to be a MF to me.  I thought he looked like a CB trying to (rather uncovincingly) play as a 6.  And I get that's a transition lots of CBs handle fine,  but he didn't really seem to read the game that well.  Obviously, that's a big limitation as a CB too, but you can be a "stopper" CB and just kind of go and stop the ball and let your cover partner read more of the field.  You don't really have that luxury at the 6.  

What stood out in the highlights last night, and which hasn't always been a strength in Weston's game, IMO, is that Wes took up excellent positions between the lines.  He was in a great space to either quickly hit the overlap outside, or to play a one-two with Dybala (in one case, one of those one-twos very nearly resulted in a goal).  

It's funny that with Allegri being so adamant about emphasizing that Wes is a Mezzala it's almost like Max made Wes sit down and play some Football Manager to figure out where he was supposed to be.  This is probably the best (albeit short) run that I can remember of Wes's career.  Particularly as he still brings what he's always had, which is pure menace in the air. That's still his number one elite skill.  
something the US needs desperately. 

I know GGG keeps talking about the wings and verticality, but if all the best players are on the field, I have full confidence that they'll play in a way to suit their strengths and not just have Adams feed the ball down the lines. Their ability to combine and progress the ball is pavlovian for me. just have to get guys better on the final ball- what I've seen of Mex's defense... if the US guys are firing, they should absolutely shred them. Of course, the same could be said the other way.

I kind of agreed with Doyle that he didn't really seem to be a MF to me.  I thought he looked like a CB trying to (rather uncovincingly) play as a 6.  And I get that's a transition lots of CBs handle fine,  but he didn't really seem to read the game that well.  Obviously, that's a big limitation as a CB too, but you can be a "stopper" CB and just kind of go and stop the ball and let your cover partner read more of the field.  You don't really have that luxury at the 6.  
I never saw enough of him to know what position was his preferred or best. feel like I saw him as a 6, and as an outside MF. and yeah- looked tactically naive each time, which goes somewhat to being a teenager (Musah suffers a little from this as well). from the little I've seen, I think the Swag Mussah Mezzala role might fit him best- I kinda recall him progressing the ball well out of the MF, and following it up into good spots in the attacking third (as a sub probably pushing for a late goal)... but he's been nowhere near their technical/tactical abilities to pull that off.

Looks like Robinson (and probably Ream) are going to have a very short stay in the Championship.  Fulham is rampant right now.

5 straight wins capped off by a 7-0 win today has them in 2nd, and 4 points clear of 3rd.

Since every other team has been mentioned I guess we were bound to land on United eventually.  This is all silly talk IMO

===============

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-transfer-news-live-22050253

United 'lead the race' for Ricardo Pepi transfer

United are reportedly leading the race to sign FC Dallas wonderkid Ricardo Pepi next year.

Pepi, 18, has scored 13 goals and notched two assists in 30 appearances for the MLS side this season and Il Resto del Carlino suggest United have taken interest.

The article speaks of interest from Italian side Bologna but claims United, Liverpool and Man City are all also looking at him.

Looks like Gabby Slonina is a dual nat (Poland I think).   He has already represented the US at U15, U16 and U17 and I have to assume he is a lock for the U20 camp coming up.  

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Jozy heating up, guys.  :unsure:

Found this quote from GGG on Jozy...

… Jozy's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I want to say
You know I like my strikers a little bit older

… I just want you to score tonight
I don't want to lose your goal tonight

… I ain't got many Euro's left to talk to
Nowhere to run when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Come to camp but keep it under cover

Last edited by a moderator:
RUMOR: No Dest on the roster due to injury

Barça Buzz

@Barca_Buzz

· 38m

(DEST): Sergiño Dest has not been able to recover from the discomfort and will not be able to travel to Balaidos for the game vs Celta Vigo. • Consequently, he will also miss the United States' World Cup Qualifiers vs Mexico and Jamaica.

https://twitter.com/usmntonly/status/1456246646124290054
Oh dear :(    Scally might be even more crucial now.  Jedi can go 180 so we just need to piece together the RB spot only. 

RUMOR: No Dest on the roster due to injury

Barça Buzz

@Barca_Buzz

· 38m

(DEST): Sergiño Dest has not been able to recover from the discomfort and will not be able to travel to Balaidos for the game vs Celta Vigo. • Consequently, he will also miss the United States' World Cup Qualifiers vs Mexico and Jamaica.

https://twitter.com/usmntonly/status/1456246646124290054
I noticed he sat the entire CL game yesterday vs Zenit. But he still dressed. Figured they were giving him a rest after puting in a lot of minutes lately (and hoping it wasn't performance related for missing some sitters)

Keeping all my digits crossed that the above really is just a rumor and not reality. The US will need all the attacking power possible in this window.

Dante Sealy hat trick one week ago

Some good and some bad in there, but very active on the ball.
Really liked his aggression on the ball (Brooklyn, baby!), even if a lot of what he tried ended badly. Liked even more his ability to receive and hold with back to goal and man on- that's a definite strength, and far too rare from US players of all abilities. And can't argue with his desire to make the run and get into good spots in the box.

Looks really good though, albeit uneven. And he doesn't look raw- the kid has skills, athleticism and soccer awareness...just has to gel as a pro to even out the inconsistencies of decision-making and tighten up some of the ball skills when he's trying ####. Love that he's getting to try ####.

I guess he's a preferred LW? Only 18, but that'll be a long time to be in CPs shadow...if he can get past Konrad, Weah and Aaronson first (and if CP can stay healthy enough to even cast a shadow)

Full roster https://twitter.com/usmntonly/status/1456282690504822785

GOALKEEPERS (3): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 24/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 22/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 8/0), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 4/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 17/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 14/3), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp/BEL; 8/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 69/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 20/2)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 42/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 20/1), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 7/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 33/8), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 27/7), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 9/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0)

FORWARDS (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 13/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 41/8), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 2/2), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 4/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 40/16), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 16/1)

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Pulisic is in!  Reyna, Dest -- not.

Ferreira in!  Konrad, BROOKS -- not.

Pepi in!  Sargent, Pefok, Hoppe -- not.

Will be interesting to see how we set up when Pepi is not in the game.  Do we check a Dinsy USMNT bucket list and see Weah as a false #9?

No Dest or Brooks. 

Happy to see Scally, Richards, Busio. Not happy to see Lleget, Roldan AND Arriola.

And no Sargent/Dike/Pefok/Hoppe....interesting to say the least

Happy to see Scally, Richards, Busio. Not happy to see Lleget, Roldan AND Arriola.

And no Sargent/Dike/Pefok/Hoppe....interesting to say the least

All of this, although I’m fine with no Dike and Sargent. 

The MLS scrub thing is bizarre to me, how long do you have to see them suck? 

and Gregg will be asked about those three and will give the standard.. you know what you'll get from those guys and we trust them.

Yup.  we do know and no one but him likes it.   :X

I'd love to know what Lleget or Roldan bring that De La Torre (just as an example) can't. Other than the millions of chances they've had (and maybe a LITTLE bit of flexibility for Roldan as a mediocre wing option) I'm pretty sure the answer is nothing

Just very frustrating.

And yeah....great accountability from Brooks.  (although again....he is punished for his recent performances while others are not)

Standing applause for Brooks.  That is as mature a response as you can make IMO.  Well done.

I don't think he has played well at all for the US but I also don't think he has played any worse than McKenzie.

Users who are viewing this thread