What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Basketball Team Roster (1 Viewer)

Getting down to the business end of this thing. Some pretty impressive box scores in the Bra-Arg game from earlier today. Looks like Scola put on a show. Kleiza also had an awesome game against China. USA should face nothing but stiff competition from here on out. I don't want any part of Lithuania in the semis, hoping Argentina take care of them in the quarters. Kleiza won't be intimidated and if he gets going he's good enough to steal a game against the US on his own. Should be interesting.

Lithuania played great again today. Gonna be a tough matchup, then likely the home team in the finals.

JMon348 said:
TWO MORE!!!!!
Come on, you're not really this excited.
They always talk about how this tournament is more prestigious than the Olympics. We have high quality basketball where an NBA All-Star B team is not a sure thing. I'm surprised about the lack of interest.
I was sort of giving him a hard time. Exclamation point shtick usually seems reserved for the Lakers. I've tivo'd each game and saw today's. Team played excellent. There's not much interest in the states because:a) The main stars aren't playing. Let's be honest, Kobe, Lebron and Wade draw eyeballsb) The games are played mid-morning, and seemingly all during weekdays. I think two US games have been on the weekend; andc) I don't care what Chris Sheridan, or any other journalist says...the Olympics are a 100 times more prestigious. Almost no American hoops fan can name the winner of these previous tournaments, but everybody can tell you about the 72 Olympics, or the 92 Dream Team, or how the 88 team failed, leading to the Dream Team, or how Jordan was terrific in 84, or how the Redeem Team won in 08. This tournament simply doesn't have that cache.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMon348 said:
TWO MORE!!!!!
Come on, you're not really this excited.
They always talk about how this tournament is more prestigious than the Olympics. We have high quality basketball where an NBA All-Star B team is not a sure thing. I'm surprised about the lack of interest.
I was sort of giving him a hard time. Exclamation point shtick usually seems reserved for the Lakers. I've tivo'd each game and saw today's. Team played excellent. There's not much interest in the states because:

a) The main starts aren't playing. Let's be honest, Kobe, Lebron and Wade draw eyeballs

b) The games are played mid-morning, and seemingly all during weekdays. I think two US games have been on the weekend; and

c) I don't care what Chris Sheridan, or any other journalist says...the Olympics are a 100 times more prestigious. Almost no American hoops fan can name the winner of these previous tournaments, but everybody can tell you about the 72 Olympics, or the 92 Dream Team, or how the 88 team failed, leading to the Dream Team, or how Jordan was terrific in 84, or how the Redeem Team won in 08. This tournament simply doesn't have that cache.
Yeah, in America, the Olympics certainly reign supreme. Apparently this isn't the case worldwide.The semi-finals and finals are on Saturday and Sunday. I'm looking forward to watching these games more than NFL opening weekend. (Yes, I understand....deport me now!)

Yeah, in America, the Olympics certainly reign supreme. Apparently this isn't the case worldwide.The semi-finals and finals are on Saturday and Sunday. I'm looking forward to watching these games more than NFL opening weekend. (Yes, I understand....deport me now!)
I just don't see where that came from. Look how many players from other countries sat this out, but were in the Olympics two years ago. Gasol, Ginobli, there's more. I can't imagine too many pros feel the same way as these journalists have tried to spin it. It's a great tournament but the Olympics are simply more prestigious. That all said, I definitely hope the Americans win it. Sucks the final is Sunday...I'll be at an NFL game and was hoping to watch it. Only going to have seen one game live.

I just don't see where that came from. Look how many players from other countries sat this out, but were in the Olympics two years ago. Gasol, Ginobli, there's more. I can't imagine too many pros feel the same way as these journalists have tried to spin it. It's a great tournament but the Olympics are simply more prestigious. That all said, I definitely hope the Americans win it. Sucks the final is Sunday...I'll be at an NFL game and was hoping to watch it. Only going to have seen one game live.
The nice thing is you can likely TiVo it and watch it later without much fear of someone spoiling the results beforehand!

The nice thing is you can likely TiVo it and watch it later without much fear of someone spoiling the results beforehand!
Ha, you're absolutely right. I think I'll do that. I've been at work for all other games, so due to boredom I've paid attention to the scores there. Hope that's not the case Sunday. :bag:

Zone attack has been pretty disjoint. Teams that could cause us the most match up problems are dropping out. Slow the tempo, take care of the ball and pound it inside is the blue print, but executing that is a different matter, especially if the guards crank up the pressure and create easy baskets. Russia was doing a decent job except for a stretch in the 3rd-4th where we went on a run and extended. Harder to control tempo when you are playing down double digits late. Still pretty sloppy play defensively on the perimeter.

The WC is much bigger here than the Olympics. All of the big names that choose to sit this out are NBA players who sit out either for contractual reasons or to take a break from the year round pounding on the legs (FIBA leagues generally play once a week.)

LOL at the commentators talking about the inconsistency in FIBA officiating and the prevalence of flopping.

Kevin Durant.......WOW

Lamar was awesome too.

One more win for the GOLD

Predictions on the 2012 Olympic roster?

I think Paul, Williams, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, and Howard will all make it if they want to play and are healthy. That leaves 3 spots. Who gets them?

Probably two big men, like Love and Lopez, and either a shooter or a glue guy.

Predictions on the 2012 Olympic roster?I think Paul, Williams, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, and Howard will all make it if they want to play and are healthy. That leaves 3 spots. Who gets them?Probably two big men, like Love and Lopez, and either a shooter or a glue guy.
Stick with the same roster they have now. Why change?

Predictions on the 2012 Olympic roster?I think Paul, Williams, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, and Howard will all make it if they want to play and are healthy. That leaves 3 spots. Who gets them?Probably two big men, like Love and Lopez, and either a shooter or a glue guy.
Because they want to field the best team possible?

So throwing "me first" players like Kobe and LeBron in there makes them a better "Team"?

I think Paul, Williams, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, and Howard will all make it if they want to play and are healthy. That leaves 3 spots. Who gets them?

So throwing "me first" players like Kobe and LeBron in there makes them a better "Team"?
Kobe and LeBron were on the 2008 team that won gold. The Olympic and FIBA rosters are not the same.

Kobe and LeBron were on the 2008 team that won gold. The Olympic and FIBA rosters are not the same.
They couldn't be bothered with playing this year?

Worked just fine in 2008. Kobe, Wade and LeBron shared the ball well and the wins were more lopsided against a tougher field. You'd be crazy not to bring them back if they want to play.

mattmillen said:
ivnabru said:
mattmillen said:
A lot of top players don't play in the FIBA. That's not limited to the US. I'd be surprised if a guy like Durant is back in 2014.
They would be foolish to not bring him back. Most exciting player in the NBA.
Are you trying to be clueless?

mattmillen said:
ivnabru said:
mattmillen said:
A lot of top players don't play in the FIBA. That's not limited to the US. I'd be surprised if a guy like Durant is back in 2014.
They would be foolish to not bring him back. Most exciting player in the NBA.
Are you trying to be clueless?
Feel free to disagree moops.

Lamar saved his best for last - nice stat lines the last three games. It was interesting seeing the distribution of minutes with the U.S.A. big men. Chandler and Love barely played in the final.

All those non-shooting pgs were redundant. Rondo logged the most minutes over the past few years, not too surprised he was the one to go. I think he's a better player than Westbrook right now as well but for the purposes of this tournament it isn't too surprising.
Agreed. Rondo's outside shooting/FT woes make him a liability for the team.Not sure I understand how this full court press/pressure defense configuration is going to be anymore successful than the flops team USA put out in the late 90s early 2000s... I've seen that movie already and it ends with the good teams routinely breaking the press, punishing the US with size, and frustrating the athletic slashing players with the zone. BYE BYE USA, better luck next time when you have the A team players...
I stand corrected. GG USA!

No one other than mattmillen has a prediction?

It's too early to talk about it really. Kobe will be 34 at that point - I wonder if he'll be able/willing to do the olympics then. There's always injuries and stuff as well as new players who will emerge over the next two seasons.

Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant and Howard will be on if they choose to play and are healthy. Probably Bosh too. The PGs are hard to predict. Wall might play himself into the mix. Westbrook might bump someone too.I could see Andre I. being a glue guy. He played well in this role for the team.

It's too early to talk about it really. Kobe will be 34 at that point - I wonder if he'll be able/willing to do the olympics then. There's always injuries and stuff as well as new players who will emerge over the next two seasons.
I see Kobe in the Kidd role from the last Olympic team and the Billups role from this Worlds team... the elder statesman veteran leader starter. And I think if he is healthy he will want to play. As far as new players emerging to the extent they could make the team, that's essentially what I was trying to discuss...

I wouldn't be shocked if Carmelo were a surprise cut considering the depth of scoring wing players.

I see Kobe in the Kidd role from the last Olympic team and the Billups role from this Worlds team... the elder statesman veteran leader starter. And I think if he is healthy he will want to play. As far as new players emerging to the extent they could make the team, that's essentially what I was trying to discuss...
Still a long time though. Four seasons and three drafts. You can probably pencil in Wade, LeBron, and Durant. I'm not sure about anyone else. So much can happen between now and then.

I might be best to look at the team in terms of needs and figure out who are locks.

Wing Scorers -- You assume LeBron, Wade, Kobe (he's on until we know he's not), and Durant

Big Men -- Interior defense was the biggest weakness of the World Championship team, so Howard is a lock.

Ball Handlers -- I think Paul and Deron Williams are both locks, but maybe we just assume one as a lock. Until Paul comes back, I assume Williams.

That gives us 6 more slots. Two have to be big men. Two have to be ball handlers. They could use some defender/glue guys who won't need the ball to contribute.

I like Rose as a ball handler/defender/glue guy. So the question is whether to go with the second all around PG in Paul or a penetrating scorer like Westbrook. I pick Paul.

Bosh gives a low post scoring option, and his range makes him a versatile NBA big guy, so he makes it. I think the next big has to be a shot blocker. That's one position that's too far away for my liking. If it's not Chandler, however, I think it would be a Chandler type.

Which leaves us with the 11th and 12th guy. I do think an Iguadala is a better choice in the context of this team than Carmelo. He can defend, shoot some threes, and get ugly hoops.

For the 12th guy, I think you could make a case for either a shooter or another big guy. I think Kevin Love has a great game for international play, because he's a physical rebounder with a nice outside touch. Wade and Kobe shoot well enough that I'd be comfortable eschewing the shooter.

So, my team would be something like.

Williams, Paul, Rose

Wade, Kobe, Iguadala

LeBron, Durant

Bosh, Love

Howard, Chandler

I gotta say, I was very impressed with Gordon's overall game this tournament. I always knew he was a great shooter, but his defense and overall scrappiness was fun to see.

Also loved seeing the genuine emotion from the whole team yesterday after the win and during the medal ceremony.

Blake Griffin might be another guy that could be in the mix. The U.S. team is light on big men and many projected him to be a superstar caliber PF.

scoobygang said:
Gr00vus said:
I wouldn't be shocked if Carmelo were a surprise cut considering the depth of scoring wing players.
There is 0 chance Carmelo is left off the next squad if he wants to play. His game translates much better under FIBA rules than the NBA. And he's more than big enough to play the 4 in these.ETA: Saw also you'd pick Love. Why him over Anthony when Anthony is better on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball (and on the offensive side, a lot better)? The only thing Love does better is rebound. There's a reason he didn't play in the semis or finals, he's a liability on the defensive end.

scoobygang said:
I was thinking something similar, but I figure if Kobe doesn't play, Anthony would get his spot.

Hell, I couldn't even predict this team three weeks before the tournament started. I'll be damned if I try to figure out the 2012 team now.

But as Bill Simmons pointed out in his column today, it will be interesting to see who the alpha dog for that team will be. Durant, Lebron or Kobe? Pretty crazy.

The 2012 starting lineup could be: Paul, Kobe or Wade, Howard, Durant, Lebron. That's just stupid. Probably will be the best team since the 92 Olympics.

Still a long time though. Four seasons and three drafts. You can probably pencil in Wade, LeBron, and Durant. I'm not sure about anyone else. So much can happen between now and then.
I'm not sure if you're talking about something else, but we're talking about the 2012 Olympics here. That's two years from now... not four seasons, and not three drafts.

You guys who are projecting that Carmelo could be cut are crazy IMO. He was a star player in both 2007 and 2008 for the U.S. team. No way he gets cut if he wants to play and is healthy.

He might see the writing on the wall and beg out, not wanting to come off the bench and bruise his ego. And with Kobe, Wade, Durant and James, I don't see any way that he is not coming off the bench. Even if Kobe is coming off the bench, where does Carmelo start?I actually think Kobe will be fine deferring/passing the torch at this stage of his career. He'll play tough defense, he'll kind of play the elder statesman role, and he'll play smart basketball. I honestly think that Kobe goes into Kobe Mode because he's frustrated by the relative ineptitude of his teammates, which isn't a problem on Team USA.Any loss in '12 would be a catastrophe. I honestly don't think any team should be able to get within 10 points, except maybe Spain at full-strength and shooting the lights out.

He might see the writing on the wall and beg out, not wanting to come off the bench and bruise his ego. And with Kobe, Wade, Durant and James, I don't see any way that he is not coming off the bench. Even if Kobe is coming off the bench, where does Carmelo start?I actually think Kobe will be fine deferring/passing the torch at this stage of his career. He'll play tough defense, he'll kind of play the elder statesman role, and he'll play smart basketball. I honestly think that Kobe goes into Kobe Mode because he's frustrated by the relative ineptitude of his teammates, which isn't a problem on Team USA.Any loss in '12 would be a catastrophe. I honestly don't think any team should be able to get within 10 points, except maybe Spain at full-strength and shooting the lights out.
Well its not inconcievable that you could do something like Kobe, Wade, Durant, James, and Melo if one in fact believed those were you're 5 best players. They played decent stretches at this championship with either Odom or Durant as the C especially if James would play the Odom role, so it could work. I do agree that whoever thinks he's coming off the bech won't go. However I don't think Kobe will end up going so a lot of this discussion moot.

There is 0 chance Carmelo is left off the next squad if he wants to play. His game translates much better under FIBA rules than the NBA. And he's more than big enough to play the 4 in these.ETA: Saw also you'd pick Love. Why him over Anthony when Anthony is better on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball (and on the offensive side, a lot better)? The only thing Love does better is rebound. There's a reason he didn't play in the semis or finals, he's a liability on the defensive end.
I'm not sure Anthony is better defensively in the context of how I'd use that player. Love strikes me as a competent post defender, which isn't really Anthony's strength. I'm not particular concerned with the ability of the player to chase out onto the perimeter and handle quicker players when I have a team with Durant, LeBron, and and Igoduala or Gerald Wallace type already. Similarly, I'm not looking for a another pure scorer when my team is already loaded with scorers. Carmelo Anthony is a great scorer and a very good fit for the international game. I concede that. But as good as he is, Kevin Durant is just better. At everything. LeBron is never going to give up his spot in the pecking order to Carmelo, so I just don't see a fit where Carmelo's skills will be used. As an 11th or 12th guy, I'd rather have a guy who is content to rebound, start the break, and hit the wide open shot when it's there without demanding any plays to be run for him.

I did neglect some other candidates, particularly at the bigs. A healthy Al Jefferson. Cousins, if he's not a complete headcase. I will say that I don't think post scoring is a huge concern for the U.S. when every team wants to pack the zone anyway. I think the U.S. needs post defense a lot more than post scoring.

I'm not sure if you're talking about something else, but we're talking about the 2012 Olympics here. That's two years from now... not four seasons, and not three drafts.
For some reason I was thinking 2014. Got winter and summer mixed up I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread