What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Wants To Plead Guilty On State Charges (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Vick will plead guilty to dogfight charges: report

NORFOLK, Virginia (AFP) – Michael Vick will plead guilty to state dogfighting charges in hopes of securing an early release from federal prison and possibly returning to American football next year.

The Virginian-Pilot newspaper, citing papers filed in Surry County Circuit Court by Vick's lawyers, reported Tuesday that the former National Football League star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons wants to enter a halfway house.

Attorneys want permission for Vick to plead guilty in a video-teleconference from Leavenworth, Kansas, where he is serving a two-year prison sentence on federal dogfighting charges.

The Surry court next convenes on November 5.

Paperwork indicates that Vick must resolve the state charges before he would be eligible to take part in a halfway house program.

Vick is scheduled to be released on July 20. He could enter a halfway house program in January to prepare his way for a return to society.

Vick's release would come as National Football League clubs begin training camps for the 2009 season.
LINKNot sure if this would automatically mean no more jail time for state charges. Also not sure what the NFL would do or if they would call it a wash and not impose a longer suspension.

If he wants to play "American" football, hes going to have to do it in the UFL....you can bet just about anything that Goodell gives him at least another year off in 2009.

If he wants to play "American" football, hes going to have to do it in the UFL....you can bet just about anything that Goodell gives him at least another year off in 2009.
I hope not. He's been punished enough. Hopefully Arthur Blank echoing that same sentiment a week or so ago will assist helping him avoid a long suspension if any.

I hope not. He's been punished enough. Hopefully Arthur Blank echoing that same sentiment a week or so ago will assist helping him avoid a long suspension if any.
:no: I hope to see Vick playing again ASAP. What he did wasn't right but was also blown way out of proportion IMO.

:no: I hope to see Vick playing again ASAP. What he did wasn't right but was also blown way out of proportion IMO.
Agreed. Kill some dogs, indefinite NFL ban. Kill a mother in a drunk driving accident, take half-a-season off and then start re-collecting your millions ...
Manslaughter ConvictionAfter a drunken birthday in 1998, Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler [a 47-year-old woman who had been married for 31 years and had a 15-year-old son.] in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.Second arrestSix years later, in 2004, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding. The probable cause statement filed by police said Little had bloodshot and watery eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three sobriety tests. Because of Little's 1999 guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter in his drunken-driving crash case, prosecutors charged him as a persistent offender. This made it a felony case.[8] Little was acquitted of driving while intoxicated, but was convicted only of the misdemeanor speeding charge.

:goodposting: I hope to see Vick playing again ASAP. What he did wasn't right but was also blown way out of proportion IMO.
:thumbdown:

:goodposting: I hope to see Vick playing again ASAP. What he did wasn't right but was also blown way out of proportion IMO.
:thumbdown: Totally agree.

Well if he plays in the NFL.. the team he plays for can expect a big weekly PETA rally outside their stadium

David,

I notice that your headline states that Vick "Wants to Play In 2009 Season".

However, I could not find any mention of such a claim in the article that you linked. Where did you see it?

David,I notice that your headline states that Vick "Wants to Play In 2009 Season".However, I could not find any mention of such a claim in the article that you linked. Where did you see it?
IIRC, it was the lead in link to get to the article that mentioned him wanting to play as soon as it would be possible. I can't remember if I am putting two and two together here as the article mentioned 2009 training camp when he was due to get out while the link may just have said he wanted to get to playing football again.

Sadly, I think it may be necessary to clear up *which* Vick is pleading guilty in threads topic such as this one going forward.

Don't really care if he does ever play again. He's a horrible excuse for a human being and is undraftable in my league if he ever comes back. He's black listed. If someone tries to pick him up, he gets dropped with commish power, and is still charged the transaction fee. Everyone knows this already though, most agree, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't really care if he does ever play again. He's a horrible excuse for a human being and is undraftable in my league if he ever comes back. He's black listed. If someone tries to pick him up, he gets dropped with commish power, and is still charged the transaction fee. Everyone knows this already though, most agree, so it shouldn't be a problem.
What will happen to the points generated by WRs he throws to? Or points for the defenses he plays against? Or are all of these entities ineligible as well? In fact, since you are clearly on a mission of morality, I think it only fair to ban all players for the franchise that is responsible for his return, correct? I think you need to think this manifesto though ... :link:

Sounds like a ####ty league.Have you thoroughly researched every NFL player's personal life before deeming them draftable?

Unless he's magically learned to increase his completion rate above 54% while in prison, I hardly think that teams will be beating a path to the halfway house to sign an out of football shape 29 year old qb, who did not improve his passing accuracy when he was playing regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hardly think that teams will be beating a path to the halfway house to sign an out of football shape 29 year old qb, who did not improve his passing accuracy when he was playing regularly.
Yeah, it should take him all of 6 or 7 DAYS to get in shape....

Sounds like a ####ty league.Have you thoroughly researched every NFL player's personal life before deeming them draftable?
Eh.. 9 years and running, we'll be around a long time. And no, I don't go through anyone's personal life that's a little bit silly. But when what he did was all over the public, I take notice.All players around him can still get points, but no way is that animal holding a roster spot. He's a sub-human piece of ####.I'm not a PETA member, but I love dogs, and what he did to them was beyond wrong.For anyone else who feels the need to argue with me about it: I don't care what you think. You play in your league, I play in mine, and no one is leaving or getting bent out of shape about it so I believe it's the right thing to do.

NORFOLK, Virginia (AFP) – Michael Vick will plead guilty to state dogfighting charges in hopes of securing an early release from federal prison and possibly returning to American football next year.

The Virginian-Pilot newspaper, citing papers filed in Surry County Circuit Court by Vick's lawyers, reported Tuesday that the former National Football League star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons wants to enter a halfway house.

Attorneys want permission for Vick to plead guilty in a video-teleconference from Leavenworth, Kansas, where he is serving a two-year prison sentence on federal dogfighting charges.

Paperwork indicates that Vick must resolve the state charges before he would be eligible to take part in a halfway house program.

Vick is scheduled to be released on July 20. He could enter a halfway house program in January to prepare his way for a return to society.

Vick's release would come as National Football League clubs begin training camps for the 2009 season.
LINKNot sure if this would automatically mean no more jail time for state charges. Also not sure what the NFL would do or if they would call it a wash and not impose a longer suspension.
If he plays one more down in the NFL it is a travesty.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see why. Again as I posted above, Leonard Little killed a mother in a drunk driving accident and got 8 games. He then went on to get another DUI a few years later. (Hardly the actions of the repentant.)The fact he has made millions after the fact and is subject to ZERO media scrutiny or pressure yet Vick is (rightfully) pilloried for his involvement in dogfighting is a much bigger travesty.

I don't see why. Again as I posted above, Leonard Little killed a mother in a drunk driving accident and got 8 games. He then went on to get another DUI a few years later. (Hardly the actions of the repentant.)The fact he has made millions after the fact and is subject to ZERO media scrutiny or pressure yet Vick is (rightfully) pilloried for his involvement in dogfighting is a much bigger travesty.
:yes: There are FAR worse people playing in the NFL today.

Vick will almost 100% be allowed back in the NFL, the only question is when if he wants to.

Not to hijack, but Little's episode predated Goodell right? Personally, I think Little should have been put away for a LONG time for what he did. Let alone allow him to keep playing and get another DUI.Not to hijack... :brush:

Just when I think I've read it all.

I don't think Goodell will allow him to play...ever
:whoosh: As tough as Goodell has been on guys like Jones who are perpetual dipsticks, seems hard to believe he'd let vick come back.
The difference is that Vick hasn't been a "perpetual dipstick" but instead made one serious error in judgement. I think if Vick serves his time and repented for his actions (getting involved with PETA would be a smart move) then Goodell would not suspend him any additional time from the league.

do these same rules apply to those who murder people? if so, then you should also blacklist a Ravens Defense team that employs one Ray Lewis. Oh, im sorry ... he didn't do it. yeah right.

:thumbup: As tough as Goodell has been on guys like Jones who are perpetual dipsticks, seems hard to believe he'd let vick come back.
The difference is that Vick hasn't been a "perpetual dipstick" but instead made one serious error in judgement. I think if Vick serves his time and repented for his actions (getting involved with PETA would be a smart move) then Goodell would not suspend him any additional time from the league.
Hasn't been a perpetual dipstick? One error in judgement? Seriously? Ron Mexico. Water Bottle. Electrocuting, shooting, and beating dogs to death? We're not talking about a single decision. He purposely and repeatedly killed dogs in as inhumane ways as you can think of over a period of MONTHS. This isn't a single decision. He made the decision to participate in this many many times. The Ron Mexico and water bottle incidents are him being a dipstick. Torturing dogs over a period of time is not the same as getting in a fight with your body guard. It is also not the same as killing someone by accident. Yes, Little was drunk and did something insanely stupid. It is a tragedy that should not have happened but it was an accident. It wasn't a willful act. Vick PURPOSELY tortured and killed the dogs. That is so beyond dipstick it's ridiculous. I won't be surprised if Vick fools enough people to be let back into the NFL but I don't believe a bit of time in jail is going to do anything to make him anything but a self-centered ###.

Eh.. 9 years and running, we'll be around a long time. And no, I don't go through anyone's personal life that's a little bit silly. But when what he did was all over the public, I take notice.All players around him can still get points, but no way is that animal holding a roster spot. He's a sub-human piece of ####.

I'm not a PETA member, but I love dogs, and what he did to them was beyond wrong.

For anyone else who feels the need to argue with me about it: I don't care what you think. You play in your league, I play in mine, and no one is leaving or getting bent out of shape about it so I believe it's the right thing to do.
:thumbup: Of course everyone in the league is good with it now. Wait until someone needs a bye week QB that they can't touch due to some arbitrary morality rule while you beat them with a Vick WR.

Ok, so that last part is not likely to happen.

I picked him up in all of my dynasty leagues three weeks ago. I got him for the league minimum on the waiver wire in each league. I hope he will have trade value next year. I seperate my personal judgements from my evaluation of his value. I do not believe he will have value as a Q.B. He is too risky a proposition to have as the face of a franchise in a key position. I believe he will transition to W.R./K.R. and be a Rod Smith or a Tony Martin.

Personally I do not approve of persons taking pleasure in watching animals locked in mortal combat. It seems gratuitous to me. I hunt. I eat meat, fish, and poultry. I wear leather and wool. I live with my choices and prejudices.

cstu said:
simsarge said:
Ministry of Pain said:
:blackdot: As tough as Goodell has been on guys like Jones who are perpetual dipsticks, seems hard to believe he'd let vick come back.
One serious error? So years of dog fighting/maiming/killing is one error? And that is inclusive of him lying to his team and to Goodell about it? I think you are minimizing it a bit.Also, it is important to remember that the league is not only concerned about the dogfighting itself, but also about the fact that in participating in that activity Vick was potentially associating with major criminals (e.g., drugs, gambling).I will be surprised if Goodell imposes no additional NFL penalty.

Personally, I hope he does come back, then on the way out of the tunnel before the season opener, slips and falls in a freak accident becoming a quadriplegic for life. There are worse examples of human garbage out there but they are few and far between. Say what you will. I don't believe justice is served until he's tortured and killed like the animals he victimized.

That aside, from a football perspective I wouldn't consider it a lock for a team to sign him even if/when he is reinstated. Regardless of what you think of the seriousness of his crimes relative to other players past and present, there is no disputing the fact that any team that signs him would be creating a massive distraction. Sure, teams do that all the time but in Vick's case, why invite such scrutiny and create such a distraction for a backup quality NFL QB? That's not to say a team won't do it. I just question the decision making of any team that does.

Evilhomer3k said:
cstu said:
simsarge said:
Ministry of Pain said:
:blackdot: As tough as Goodell has been on guys like Jones who are perpetual dipsticks, seems hard to believe he'd let vick come back.
Hasn't been a perpetual dipstick? One error in judgement? Seriously? Ron Mexico. Water Bottle. Electrocuting, shooting, and beating dogs to death? We're not talking about a single decision. He purposely and repeatedly killed dogs in as inhumane ways as you can think of over a period of MONTHS. This isn't a single decision. He made the decision to participate in this many many times. The Ron Mexico and water bottle incidents are him being a dipstick. Torturing dogs over a period of time is not the same as getting in a fight with your body guard. It is also not the same as killing someone by accident. Yes, Little was drunk and did something insanely stupid. It is a tragedy that should not have happened but it was an accident. It wasn't a willful act. Vick PURPOSELY tortured and killed the dogs. That is so beyond dipstick it's ridiculous. I won't be surprised if Vick fools enough people to be let back into the NFL but I don't believe a bit of time in jail is going to do anything to make him anything but a self-centered ###.
I agree it's wrong what Vick was doing, but he's serving his time. As far as how this country feels about torturing animals, we have a woman running for VP who enjoys shooting wolves from helicopters and leaving them to limp off bleeding and die if they aren't killed immediately.

An ordinary citizen can mess around all he wants, but let a football player make 19 or 20 mistakes, and all of a sudden he's a problem. :football:

Vick got what he deserved but I think he has paid his debt to society. The guy lost everything. People have done a lot worse and got a lot less.

I think Vick is good for the NFL, he was a lot of fun to watch and he is no worse than most Bengals and Cowboys players.

The world is definitely a better place with Mike Vick having millions of dollars at his disposal. I say hire him and pay him well!

two_dollars said:
:lmao: Sieg Heil!

Ministry of Pain said:
:lmao: of all the people in the nfl who have done wrong, vick is NO WAY NEAR the worst offender, and has suffered publically, professionally and financially in a way 10x worse than almost any nfl player (save the Ray Carruths of the world who kill PEOPLE). The overkill people wanna pile on him is unbelievable.

TommyGilmore said:
David,I notice that your headline states that Vick "Wants to Play In 2009 Season".However, I could not find any mention of such a claim in the article that you linked. Where did you see it?
I heard this discussed this evening on sports talk in atlanta. Don't have a cite as I only listened for 20 minutes, but this was the gist of what the talking heads spoke of.

cstu said:
simsarge said:
Ministry of Pain said:
:lmao: As tough as Goodell has been on guys like Jones who are perpetual dipsticks, seems hard to believe he'd let vick come back.
Hmmm. ONE serious error in judgement.1. Bought a house and set up an illegal dogfighting training establishment.

2. Travelled across the south east US, fighting said illegal dog fights

3. Abused dozens of dogs, and actively participated in executing animals that weren't successful enough at killing other dogs, including slamming a dog on the ground until dead

4. Said abuse included pulling all of the female dog's teeth (after their fighting days were over), placing them in "rape stands", and allowing aggressive male dogs to savage the toothless female dogs while constrained for breeding purposes

5. The above list doesn't even mention the routine illegal behavior among Vick's co-conspirators including illegal use of pharmacueticals (on the dogs in question, and of course among themselves).

6. Lying to investigators about the property in question and

7. Misleading the commissioner of the NFL and the owner of his NFL franchise regarding the level of his (Michael Vick's) involvement in the ongoing criminal enterprise of running an illegal gambling establishment

8. Conducting an ongoing criminal enterprise with routine contact with high-stakes gamblers, in outright abrogation of NFL conduct policies regarding association with known gamblers

AND ETC.

methinks there were WAY more than one serious error in judgement here.

my .02.

two_dollars said:
Do you apply the same standard to NFL players convicted of domestic violence? If not you are not only a hypocrite, but you value dogs over human females in the hierarchy of "value".

two_dollars said:
So Plaxico, LJ, etc etc are black listed in your league as well?Of course not. Ah the double standard!! :lmao:

two_dollars said:
azgroover said:
two_dollars said:
Eh.. 9 years and running, we'll be around a long time. And no, I don't go through anyone's personal life that's a little bit silly. But when what he did was all over the public, I take notice.All players around him can still get points, but no way is that animal holding a roster spot. He's a sub-human piece of ####.I'm not a PETA member, but I love dogs, and what he did to them was beyond wrong.For anyone else who feels the need to argue with me about it: I don't care what you think. You play in your league, I play in mine, and no one is leaving or getting bent out of shape about it so I believe it's the right thing to do.
Do you allow Clinton Portis?

Users who are viewing this thread