What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

fissure man said:
Well then you don't want them to wait for the new system. First gen games usually suck.That, and I don't know how long before companies will push a new system on us. With the economy the way it is and the amount of great games being developed, not many people will be hard pressed to buy a new $400-$600 system. The 360/PS3 have already been out for what, 4/5 years? They were pushing out new systems every 4 years not so long ago.
I don't really care if they release it on the next gen or not....I just don't want the game to be rushed.I was simply saying that I thought the speculation awhile ago was that they were waiting for the next gen....which I'd prefer rather than them rushing a game out. Maybe they've been working on the game since Gears 2 came out....that would somewhat explain their reluctance to go full-bore and fix Gears 2's problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
fissure man said:
Well then you don't want them to wait for the new system. First gen games usually suck.That, and I don't know how long before companies will push a new system on us. With the economy the way it is and the amount of great games being developed, not many people will be hard pressed to buy a new $400-$600 system. The 360/PS3 have already been out for what, 4/5 years? They were pushing out new systems every 4 years not so long ago.
I don't really care if they release it on the next gen or not....I just don't want the game to be rushed.I was simply saying that I thought the speculation awhile ago was that they were waiting for the next gen....which I'd prefer rather than them rushing a game out. Maybe they've been working on the game since Gears 2 came out....that would somewhat explain their reluctance to go full-bore and fix Gears 2's problems...
I don't think nextgen will be coming for at least another 2 years.

madshot31 said:
Steve Tasker said:
Playing Darksiders right now on XBox 360. Reminds me of Sword of the Berserker from the Dreamcast.

Great game, some button mashing, boss levels are well done, some puzzles to figure out, good story.

No online content kills the games shelf life IMHO.

Looking forward to - GEARS OF WAR 3

anyone heard anything yet? Epic is supposed to make a big announcement about something coming out this fall/Christmas and many think it's Gears 3. :crossesfingers:
I still think they're holding out for Gears 3 to be a launch title for the next gen system in a few years. I'd rather they take their time than try to rush it out...
Gears 3 will be announced at E3. Cliffy B did an interview and he was asked what project he is working on. His response was something like, I can't say what I am working on, but people aren't stupid. I'm thinking between Nov 2010 to Feb 2011 it will launch.
:rolleyes: :banned:

I didn't want to wait until the next console, sounds like I won't have to! The fan base would lose interest if we had to wait for Gears 3 until 2012/2013.

Last in the series? You think with the popularity they would pump out games like Halo. Maybe we'll get some Pendulum Wars stuff or E-day prequel type stuff.

Thought I'd pass this on.

Gamestop has B1G1 Free on any used game. Free shipping $25+ Online Only

Expires 3/24/10

Code: UBOGO

Anxious to hear more reviews of FF13 here... I'm a HUGE FF fan but am on the fence for this one. I loved FF12, but this one seems to be a pretty large departure from the 'old' formula.
From what I hear is that the game has been nerfed down for the masses. Which is perfect for me. I love a good RPG, but not one that requires a Physics degree from MIT to play. Plus it looks REALLY good.
I've been a FF fan for a long time - but I'm really NOT liking XIII so far (I'm about 15 hours in). The game looks incredible, the music is great, and the story is OK - but there's no decision-making or RPG elements left, whatsoever. One reviewer labeled it a marathon trip down a series of "narrow killing tubes" - and that's exactly what it is. Battle, battle, battle, cut scene from start to finish. There are no towns or open areas to explore. Unless you like fighting long, tedious battles against "mechanicats", robots that look like floating trash cans, or chickenbots that dance around like Backyardigans, I'd say rent this one first - or skip it entirely...

Anxious to hear more reviews of FF13 here... I'm a HUGE FF fan but am on the fence for this one. I loved FF12, but this one seems to be a pretty large departure from the 'old' formula.
From what I hear is that the game has been nerfed down for the masses. Which is perfect for me. I love a good RPG, but not one that requires a Physics degree from MIT to play. Plus it looks REALLY good.
I've been a FF fan for a long time - but I'm really NOT liking XIII so far (I'm about 15 hours in). The game looks incredible, the music is great, and the story is OK - but there's no decision-making or RPG elements left, whatsoever. One reviewer labeled it a marathon trip down a series of "narrow killing tubes" - and that's exactly what it is. Battle, battle, battle, cut scene from start to finish. There are no towns or open areas to explore. Unless you like fighting long, tedious battles against "mechanicats", robots that look like floating trash cans, or chickenbots that dance around like Backyardigans, I'd say rent this one first - or skip it entirely...
Wow. And here I was going to trade AC2 for it on gametz. Maybe not now. Thanks for the heads-up. Speaking of rentals, I rented Heavy Rain tonight and, while only 1 hour into it, it's definitely a very different game. It's more of an interactive movie thus far. Not sure if I love it or hate it yet, but hopefully will have more time w/ it over the wknd.

Wow. And here I was going to trade AC2 for it on gametz. Maybe not now. Thanks for the heads-up. Speaking of rentals, I rented Heavy Rain tonight and, while only 1 hour into it, it's definitely a very different game. It's more of an interactive movie thus far. Not sure if I love it or hate it yet, but hopefully will have more time w/ it over the wknd.
apparently that game starts slow to get you used to to the playing mechanics, before the real "story" part begins. I'm heavily considering buying that game, but will probably wait til the price drops.

apparently that game starts slow to get you used to to the playing mechanics, before the real "story" part begins. I'm heavily considering buying that game, but will probably wait til the price drops.
It's definitely unlike any other game out there, that's for sure.

I've been hooked on FF13. I agree with the statements that it doesn't have much freedom in it but I think that changes once you hit the 3rd disk... a bit anyway. On the 3rd disk you are able to select your battle team and have any character use any Crytasgrem (sp?!). I'm maybe 20 minutes into the 3rd.

I haven't found the battles to be very long at all. The time limits are low for most battles and once you get the hang of using the paradigms effectively, it shouldn't take you more than a minute to kill anything other than bosses.

Same boat here..........FF VII might be my favoritest game of all time. But so far, I'm pretty indifferent to this one. Just started Disc 2 the other day. It's gotten better, but I sorely miss the freedom to explore the world. I feel like I'm walking down corridors in between cut scenes. Will reserve complete judgment until the end, though. Hopeful it improves drastically on Disc 3.

A little bit into the 3rd disk there is plenty of freedom. You go to a world where you can roam freely and it has tons of new (and damn tough!) enemies. There are also side missions that you can do if you wish.

I've been hooked on FF13. I agree with the statements that it doesn't have much freedom in it but I think that changes once you hit the 3rd disk... a bit anyway. On the 3rd disk you are able to select your battle team and have any character use any Crytasgrem (sp?!). I'm maybe 20 minutes into the 3rd.

I haven't found the battles to be very long at all. The time limits are low for most battles and once you get the hang of using the paradigms effectively, it shouldn't take you more than a minute to kill anything other than bosses.
:hophead: What is this 3rd disc you speak of, are people actually buying the gimped Xbox version? :excited: For the record, I own an Xbox now, but there's no way I'd touch this title on it.

:thumbup: What is this 3rd disc you speak of, are people actually buying the gimped Xbox version? ;) For the record, I own an Xbox now, but there's no way I'd touch this title on it.
PS3 or PC?

;) What is this 3rd disc you speak of, are people actually buying the gimped Xbox version? :lmao: For the record, I own an Xbox now, but there's no way I'd touch this title on it.
PS3 or PC?
From what I understand, the PS3 is the definitive version because it was natively coded there and the port to the Xbox was rather lazy. Mind you, I haven't played it and am waiting for a copy from Goozex but from what I've read it shows up in most of the game. The biggest area is that the cutscenes don't look nearly as brilliant, which from my understanding is a good portion of the game. They actually could have done more with it as well, it doesn't even fill the 3 discs they put it on.I'm just messing around though - if you don't have a PS3 the Xbox version is fine. If you have both though, there's really no choice here.

:bag: What is this 3rd disc you speak of, are people actually buying the gimped Xbox version? :no: For the record, I own an Xbox now, but there's no way I'd touch this title on it.
PS3 or PC?
From what I understand, the PS3 is the definitive version because it was natively coded there and the port to the Xbox was rather lazy. Mind you, I haven't played it and am waiting for a copy from Goozex but from what I've read it shows up in most of the game. The biggest area is that the cutscenes don't look nearly as brilliant, which from my understanding is a good portion of the game. They actually could have done more with it as well, it doesn't even fill the 3 discs they put it on.I'm just messing around though - if you don't have a PS3 the Xbox version is fine. If you have both though, there's really no choice here.
Fair enough. If I had a PS3 I would have definitely bought it for it and I was going to go out and get a PS3 if it wasn't released for 360. The game looks better than anything I've ever played so I'm not going to complain about it but yeah, PS3 is probably better.

IGN's review stated that the beginning of FFXIII is very linear. But once certain abilities are gained and the story is established, it allows for a lot of exploring and open ended play.

IGN's review stated that the beginning of FFXIII is very linear. But once certain abilities are gained and the story is established, it allows for a lot of exploring and open ended play.
Would this be okay for someone for who hasn't played JRPG's before?

Re: FFXIII - As others have said EXTREMELY linear at the beginning, but I would attribute this to Square/Enix trying to purely establish who the characters are / the backdrop for the story early on. I'm just on chapter 2 and so far, I'm ok with this setup.

I do hope it expands a BIT though... this is a bit heavy handed.

Update:

Playing right now- Lost Odyssey, L4D2, BC2, GoW2

Excited for- Red Dead Redemption, GoW 3, Diablo 3, Fallout: New Vegas

Back Burner- Bioshock 2, Dragon Age

Anyone up for some good old terrorist hunt in R6V2, a couple rounds of zombie smacking in L4D2, or starting fresh in Borderlands? I just beat Borderlands including two DlCs and it was some of the best co-op fun minus the aggravating bull#### I have had in a long time. I could see myself playing through it again, maybe as a berserker and not the sirengod.

Re: FFXIII - As others have said EXTREMELY linear at the beginning, but I would attribute this to Square/Enix trying to purely establish who the characters are / the backdrop for the story early on. I'm just on chapter 2 and so far, I'm ok with this setup.I do hope it expands a BIT though... this is a bit heavy handed.
You're pretty much stuck following a line until you hit chapter 11 (or around 11). After that you get plenty of freedom.

Re: FFXIII - As others have said EXTREMELY linear at the beginning, but I would attribute this to Square/Enix trying to purely establish who the characters are / the backdrop for the story early on. I'm just on chapter 2 and so far, I'm ok with this setup.I do hope it expands a BIT though... this is a bit heavy handed.
You're pretty much stuck following a line until you hit chapter 11 (or around 11). After that you get plenty of freedom.
Yup.I beat the main storyline a few days ago. You get a skill cap increase and you can save and then roam around and finish all the side quests. Some of the side quest bosses are tougher to beat than the final boss. I've been running around finishing up quests trying to complete them all.I did enjoy the game but it was far from as good as FFVII. Too linear.I'm thinking of picking up the Dragon Age expansion....anyone try that yet?

Yup.I beat the main storyline a few days ago. You get a skill cap increase and you can save and then roam around and finish all the side quests. Some of the side quest bosses are tougher to beat than the final boss. I've been running around finishing up quests trying to complete them all.I did enjoy the game but it was far from as good as FFVII. Too linear.I'm thinking of picking up the Dragon Age expansion....anyone try that yet?
Final boss was very easy... I was actually disappointed. Beat him the first try. Didn't have to screw around with accessories, paradigms or the battle team.Going back to try and finish up the missions now and those guys are damn tougher than the final boss. Heck, even the big ### brontosaurus looking dudes are harder than the final boss.

Re: FFXIII - As others have said EXTREMELY linear at the beginning, but I would attribute this to Square/Enix trying to purely establish who the characters are / the backdrop for the story early on. I'm just on chapter 2 and so far, I'm ok with this setup.

Yup.I beat the main storyline a few days ago. You get a skill cap increase and you can save and then roam around and finish all the side quests. Some of the side quest bosses are tougher to beat than the final boss. I've been running around finishing up quests trying to complete them all.

I did enjoy the game but it was far from as good as FFVII. Too linear.

I'm thinking of picking up the Dragon Age expansion....anyone try that yet?
Final boss was very easy... I was actually disappointed. Beat him the first try. Didn't have to screw around with accessories, paradigms or the battle team.Going back to try and finish up the missions now and those guys are damn tougher than the final boss. Heck, even the big ### brontosaurus looking dudes are harder than the final boss.

Yup.I beat the main storyline a few days ago. You get a skill cap increase and you can save and then roam around and finish all the side quests. Some of the side quest bosses are tougher to beat than the final boss. I've been running around finishing up quests trying to complete them all.

I did enjoy the game but it was far from as good as FFVII. Too linear.

I'm thinking of picking up the Dragon Age expansion....anyone try that yet?
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

There are a few links/articles that state MS/Sony expect the consoles to go almost 10 years before another launch. They are at the point now where there is not "much more" to do.I could see a new xbox in a couple years with the Playstation a couple after that. Not sure I'm in a rush anymore to get a new one.

R6V2 Terrorist hunt - Manback+Madshot+?+? = Profit!?!
I could be in... maybe not tonight, but tomorrow night.
I could be persuaded as well.
I'll be on around 7:45 Pacific for some R6V2 or BC2 or something else co-op. Since when did you get R6V2 Worm? We had some fun messing up all the controls and nading ourselves before barley got us over to BC2.
I bought it and Fallout 3 at the same time a while back, just haven't played it yet. I'll be on tonight around 9:30 EST, we can get a group going when everyone gets on.

I'm getting Super Street Fighter IV. I heard Seth is less cheap this version.

And I'll probably pre-order UFC Undisputed 2010. I just hope the gameplay flows well after all the new stuff they implemented.

Just got Mass Effect 2, Dead Space, The Saboteur, and Brutal Legend on a great deal from EA sports store. Going to be busy for awhile.

Just wondering if any FBGs have had experience with Goozex and how it went.
109 trades sent, 141 received. Plus 3 outgoing and 2 incoming in progress. I like the place. :goodposting:

The vast majority of my games come from there. The only game I've purchased so far this year is Mass Effect 2 and I've gotten Bayonetta, Darksiders, Bioshock 2 (Both PS3 and Xbox), Battlefield: Bad Company 2, God Of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, and MLB: The Show 10 all from there just this year. And I actually have made money on games so far this year because they were selling points for $25 for 1000 a couple months back, and I often times flip these games at Amazon for $35-$40 if I don't have time for them at the moment. It's nice to unload other stuff too - my kids didn't real take to the Planet Earth set, and they're done with Up! so I'm dumping those for 1550 points. Much better value than I'd get someplace else for that stuff, and I can always use some more games. :lmao:

If you need any help getting going, let me know. Also, here's me referral link, if anyone plans on signing up they could get me a few free points, it'd be appreciated. http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=548272145833

DrJ said:
madshot31 said:
109 trades sent, 141 received. Plus 3 outgoing and 2 incoming in progress. I like the place. ;)

The vast majority of my games come from there. The only game I've purchased so far this year is Mass Effect 2 and I've gotten Bayonetta, Darksiders, Bioshock 2 (Both PS3 and Xbox), Battlefield: Bad Company 2, God Of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, and MLB: The Show 10 all from there just this year. And I actually have made money on games so far this year because they were selling points for $25 for 1000 a couple months back, and I often times flip these games at Amazon for $35-$40 if I don't have time for them at the moment. It's nice to unload other stuff too - my kids didn't real take to the Planet Earth set, and they're done with Up! so I'm dumping those for 1550 points. Much better value than I'd get someplace else for that stuff, and I can always use some more games. :)

If you need any help getting going, let me know. Also, here's me referral link, if anyone plans on signing up they could get me a few free points, it'd be appreciated. http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=548272145833
Damn, I signed up last night to look around a bit more. Wish I could have gone through the link instead. The process seems simple enough, but from what I am reading, it is cheaper to use paypal to ship. Also, do you use one of the bubble envelopes or something different to ship a game in? From the looks of it, if you get your hands on a new release and then ship it out within a month, you could make some money. How does the new releases on Tuesday's work? First come first serve I'm guessing but it must be a pain and when do they seem to go official?

DrJ said:
madshot31 said:
109 trades sent, 141 received. Plus 3 outgoing and 2 incoming in progress. I like the place. :goodposting:

The vast majority of my games come from there. The only game I've purchased so far this year is Mass Effect 2 and I've gotten Bayonetta, Darksiders, Bioshock 2 (Both PS3 and Xbox), Battlefield: Bad Company 2, God Of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, and MLB: The Show 10 all from there just this year. And I actually have made money on games so far this year because they were selling points for $25 for 1000 a couple months back, and I often times flip these games at Amazon for $35-$40 if I don't have time for them at the moment. It's nice to unload other stuff too - my kids didn't real take to the Planet Earth set, and they're done with Up! so I'm dumping those for 1550 points. Much better value than I'd get someplace else for that stuff, and I can always use some more games. :)

Damn, I signed up last night to look around a bit more. Wish I could have gone through the link instead. The process seems simple enough, but from what I am reading, it is cheaper to use paypal to ship. Also, do you use one of the bubble envelopes or something different to ship a game in? From the looks of it, if you get your hands a new release and then ship it out within a month, you could make some money. How does the new releases on Tuesday's work? First come first serve I'm guessing but it must be a pain and when do they seem to go official?
Delivery Confirmation is recommended, and in that case Paypal is cheaper than going to the post office - they charge the same for the postage itself, but Paypal charges less for the delivery confirmation. Yeah, I use bubble mailers - #0's. You can buy these at Walmart, or even in bulk off of ebay real cheap, at first I was just taking them from the mail room at work until I started using enough that I didn't want to be obnoxious about it. I got 250 for like $28.00 off of ebay.Games release at midnight CST on Monday night/Tuesday morning since the release date for most things is Tuesday. You just basically have to be there at midnight and get in the mad dash of people. The easiest way IMO is:

1) Go to the future release page. Open as many windows as you want to request games. When you open the page pre midnight the request button will be greyed out.

2) Once midnight hits, click that greyed out request button. Don't bother refreshing the page or doing anything like that, even greyed out the button still works.

3) Pretty much cross your fingers from here, they're getting pummeled these days so most nights it can take a minute to a few minutes for the next page to come up. If all goes well you'll get a top 30-40 spot which should get you most stuff within a month. Top 10 is very possible which will get it to you in a week or two. Most stuff I get in the top 10 or teens, a couple things like Final Fantasy XIII I ended up getting in the 40's or something, and that still showed up this week. Milage may vary though - there's always people griping on the Tuesday after a big release because of how bad the servers are these days.

If you forget to be there on release night though - it's going to be a while before you see it. I went to bed without thinking about release nights for Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain. That's why Mass Effect 2 was my only purchase of the year. Heavy Rain I'm just waiting on since I have so much other stuff. Currently there's 112 active people in front of me for Heavy Rain, 43 restricted, and 154 on hold. It's traded 147 times so far, so it's concievable I'll have that at about the 3 month mark. I got in line the next morning.

And yeah, they give 200 bonus points if you trade something out within 30 days. Trying to promote trading of new releases. So if you get top 10 for something and get it early, you can trade it back out for 200 extra points. You might even have time to play it and trade it out for a profit in some cases. I'm too backlogged for this though. I get stuff and then it sits on my shelf for 2 months before I get to playing it. Plus, you have to pay for the shipping and trade credit to do it just to get the 200 points so it's a lot of effort for a couple bucks worth of profit IMO. Totally awesome if you're making a couple bucks to play something you wanted, 2 weeks after it was released though. :)

Also - really great thing about the whole place IMO is that these games stay at 1000 points for a pretty good bit of time - usually 3-4 months. It has absolutely nothing to do with their used market value and more to do with the Goozex demand. So if you get stuff early you have plenty of time to play it and then get your entire 1000 points back at the end. Rinse and repeat. Essentially you're renting games for several months for $1 a trade and the $2.00 - $2.50 it costs to mail it back out.

I tried Goozex at midnight on Feb 9 to get in on Bioshock 2.

Never could get the servers to respond and ended up putting my request in the next day. Still waiting, currently 54th in line.

Thanks for the help DrJ. I'm just starting with trading off 4-5 games that I'm done with and will probably have enough to grab 3 new releases out of it. :thumbup: Just need to head out and grab some bubble mailers and shipping labels maybe. Not sure if I want real ones or just print on paper and tape.

Thanks for the help DrJ. I'm just starting with trading off 4-5 games that I'm done with and will probably have enough to grab 3 new releases out of it. :confused: Just need to head out and grab some bubble mailers and shipping labels maybe. Not sure if I want real ones or just print on paper and tape.
I just print it on paper and attach it with packing tape. I'm anal and cover the whole thing so it can tolerate getting wet and all, and have never had a problem.

Thanks for the help DrJ. I'm just starting with trading off 4-5 games that I'm done with and will probably have enough to grab 3 new releases out of it. :confused: Just need to head out and grab some bubble mailers and shipping labels maybe. Not sure if I want real ones or just print on paper and tape.
I just print it on paper and attach it with packing tape. I'm anal and cover the whole thing so it can tolerate getting wet and all, and have never had a problem.
Do you weigh it to determine how many stamps you need? I don't have a scale so just wondering what the average game needs?

I tried Goozex at midnight on Feb 9 to get in on Bioshock 2.Never could get the servers to respond and ended up putting my request in the next day. Still waiting, currently 54th in line.
There's a lot of complaints like these, that's why I say milage may vary. I have a fast and reliable internet connection and have minimized the number of clicks so I haven't had this problem as of yet. I think it took about 5-6 minutes to load for me on Final Fantasy night and I was still like 40 or something. But yeah, it's not pretty and there's a large segment of the community that wants it to go to a lottery system for new releases. Could happen someday. Which would make things suck far more for me. :confused:

Thanks for the help DrJ. I'm just starting with trading off 4-5 games that I'm done with and will probably have enough to grab 3 new releases out of it. :thumbup: Just need to head out and grab some bubble mailers and shipping labels maybe. Not sure if I want real ones or just print on paper and tape.
Do you weigh it to determine how many stamps you need? I don't have a scale so just wondering what the average game needs?
Yeah I do have a scale. With Paypal shipping you don't need stamps, it just prints a label that you affix to the package and the cost is based on the weight. Most games are 6 oz with the bubble mailer, label, tape, etc, etc.. For both Xbox and PS3. Very rarely they'll be 5 if it's an Xbox game with those flimsy new cases and a 2 page manual. And some can even go up to 7 if it's a game with a large manual or map, multiple discs, something along those lines. Something like Lost Odyssey which is 4 DVD's probably even more. I always print the stupid piece of paper that says "enjoy your game" or whatever and fold the whole thing up and put it in there. You really don't need this which might keep some 7's down to 6. If you can't come up with a scale, you could always mark everything 7 unless it's a crazy 4 DVD title and you'll be good. You'll be paying 17 cents more than you need on a lot of stuff, which is still less than the difference between what Paypal charges for delivery confirmation and the post office does. But it'll add up depending on how much you're shipping. If you're daring you could always mark everything at 6, but you'll probably eventually end up with a neutral feedback for insufficient postage out of it. If your post office has one of those electronic teller things you could always use that to weight out all of your games as well and then use Paypal to ship and save a little money still.

One last thing. I printed that sheet you were talking about, it has the return address as goozex's, I'm guessing its best to switch that to your own on the paypal label.

One last thing. I printed that sheet you were talking about, it has the return address as goozex's, I'm guessing its best to switch that to your own on the paypal label.
Yeah, Paypal will use the address that your account is linked to as your return address by default but I think you can change it. Either is acceptable. In theory, if the game is returned to Goozex it could help in a dispute where a buyer claims he didn't receive the game, but it's because his address was screwed up in the system. Pretty sure if you use their shipping option (which is overpriced compared to even the post office) they use their address for returns. Your delivery confirmation number is proof enough that you mailed this though, and Goozex will accept that should any disputes arise, so it's not necessary. Personally I want my game coming back to me if the buyer screwed up their address but that's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread