What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VW Beetle Convertible for my 15 year old daughter? *Update post 43* (1 Viewer)

playin4beer

Footballguy
Quick background..

My oldest daughter is 15, she'll be 16 in March. I probably spoil my girls too much, but they really are good kids. The 15 year old gets all A's and hasn't given us any "teenage drama" yet.

Her DREAM car (as with many teenage girls) has been a VW Bug Convertible...and she was even specific with the color combo.. ivory with burgundy top and seats. Looking into it, it seems

this is called a Blush Edition. I laughed at her like most dads would and said to keep dreaming.

Family business is auto parts, salvage cars, vehicle repair, etc.. so I usually can get into most cars/trucks a lot cheaper than the general public. The trade off is that they've been wrecked and fixed.

Fast forward to last week... watching a wrecked car auction online and there's a 2005 Beetle Convertible, Ivory. Of course it's not a blush edition and the top and interior are a cream color.. However, this

particular car is not wrecked and is "vandalized".. the top is cut and the seats and center armrest are sliced up a bit. Since the top and seats have to be reupholstered, I can go with any color, including

burgundy. I buy the car and get it back to the shop. I drove it around a bit, took it home and cleaned it up, nothing wrong with it mechanically and it has a clear title, not salvage.

Right now I have around $2500 into this car the way it sits.. I can turn it and make some money or work on getting it fixed up completely and surprise her in March for her 16th birthday..

What does the FFA think?? Is this spoiling her too much?? The car gets good safety ratings, but should I be putting a 16 year old girl into a convertible?? or a VW Beetle??

Serious answers and jokes are always appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A car for our 16 year old, straight A student daughter, turned her into a monster. Good luck. Our biggest regret. FYI, she got it on her birthday and it was taken away 9 of the first 12 months she had it. Maybe yours will do better.

What will it cost to completely fix it up? Total - including the buy, the labor, the upholstery, the top, the whole shebang?

I don't think buying an 8-year-old car at auction and fixing it up is spoiling someone too much. The only spoiling part seems to be that she really, really wants exactly that car. Which is awesome.

It might be even cooler to have her fix it up with you. A woman who knows how to fix stuff on a car is a woman with a lot of freedom in this world.

I don't think that's too much or spoiling her.
Agreed, based upon the way you've described her.

The only question will be how responsibly you think she'll use it. Good students can do stupid things in their cars...or their friends can.

I think if you are going to buy your daughter a car for her birthday, $2500 is a good amount to spend.

If it's within your means to do it, why not? I'm no parent but I would make sure she is invested in it by paying her own insurance and fuel.

If it's within your means to do it, why not? I'm no parent but I would make sure she is invested in it by paying her own insurance and fuel.
:goodposting:

But YOU pay for the oil changes, dad. Gotta be a backstop on that one.

Does getting her a car free you up from driving her all over? How much is that worth to you?
That's just it.. She's in competitive dance and takes classes 4-5 nights a week at a place 20 minutes away... We will be getting her a car of some sort to free us up from being a taxi cab driver..

I think if you are going to buy your daughter a car for her birthday, $2500 is a good amount to spend.
$2500 is the way it sits right now.. with a cut up top and seats.. actually the seats aren't bad at all, just a little cut in each one.. the top is toast though..

How old is the younger daughter? Is she a straight-A kid as well? Because once you're in for the older one's dream car, you're in for the younger one's too.

I dont think its spoiling her but my only concern would be safety with those cars. But maybe thats just a biased way of thinking

A car for our 16 year old, straight A student daughter, turned her into a monster. Good luck. Our biggest regret. FYI, she got it on her birthday and it was taken away 9 of the first 12 months she had it. Maybe yours will do better.
Good chance she had many of these "monster traits" before the car and did a better job hiding them. Straight As isn't not a reflection of a person's morals or obedience.

I say go for it.

It has the benefit of having a very small backseat.

Sounds like you got an amazing price on pretty much the actual car your daughter wants. Not too often things fall into place like that.

Sounds like you got an amazing price on pretty much the actual car your daughter wants. Not too often things fall into place like that.
That's how I was looking at it. I was just looking for some other points of views and this forum has some of the best.

Are you spoiling her? Yes. But so what? She'll be out and gone before you know it. It sounds like a small investment for you that would make her the happiest girl in the world, seems dumb NOT to do it if you ask me.

What do you do with the car til March? Sounds like with your business you can just stash it away somewhere til then? Any thought to flipping it and trying for a nicer bug?

Also, does your daughter have her permit yet?

What do you do with the car til March? Sounds like with your business you can just stash it away somewhere til then? Any thought to flipping it and trying for a nicer bug?

Also, does your daughter have her permit yet?
Yes, she has her permit and had been driving. And yes, I'd stash it in a warehouse until March. Actually that gives me time to get it all fixed a little at a time without having to shell out all the money at once. Finding a nicer bug in the right color combination would be extremely tough. Especially one that's not accident damaged and has a clear title.

A $50,000 BMW is spoiling a 16-year old. Spending ~$5,000 on a car, you fix up, not so much, imo.

I like the idea of you and her fixing it up. Give her some ownership of it. Give her the opportunity to get some oil on her hands and she will take care of her car that much more.

Footnote - you just boosted your daughters popularity, and self-esteem, to an all-time high.

Operation VW Bug, successful....

She turned 16 on March 28th... we waited a few weeks to surprise her with the car..

I drove it to her dance class and all her dance friends were surrounding it when she pulled up with her friend. Had a "Happy Birthday" sign on it..

She freaked :)

Picture of the finished car

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/spartanfan72/chanelbug_zpsd10a3ddd.jpg
Sweet! Nice job.

I'm going through a similar dilemma with my oldest. My son turns sixteen this October, looking at getting him an SUV with 55K on it. He's a good kid with a 3.79.

For my sixteenth, I got a horse. It was disappointing. I was a rotten kid. The next year I got a 4x4 GMC pickup. Which I tipped over. Did I mention I was a rotten kid?

Operation VW Bug, successful....

She turned 16 on March 28th... we waited a few weeks to surprise her with the car..

I drove it to her dance class and all her dance friends were surrounding it when she pulled up with her friend. Had a "Happy Birthday" sign on it..

She freaked :)

Picture of the finished car

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/spartanfan72/chanelbug_zpsd10a3ddd.jpg
Sweet! Nice job.

I'm going through a similar dilemma with my oldest. My son turns sixteen this October, looking at getting him an SUV with 55K on it. He's a good kid with a 3.79.

For my sixteenth, I got a horse. It was disappointing. I was a rotten kid. The next year I got a 4x4 GMC pickup. Which I tipped over. Did I mention I was a rotten kid?
:lol:

Yeah, I wasn't a saint myself...

Thanks fellas... The grandparents showed up to watch and take pictures, all her dance friends made a big deal out of it... I recorded it... it was pretty awesome and a lifetime memory for her I'm sure..

The problem is, she has three younger sisters... I'm afraid I may have set the bar a little high to start out

Users who are viewing this thread