What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

waiver wire Def for week 15 (1 Viewer)

I picked up Philly for Minnesota last week, without knowing about ADP. Really just counting on the jigsaw puzzle that was the Minny QB situation. Eagles defense has come on of late. I'm not really considering any others. Waiver wire is bare.

This thread on a weekly basis has single handedly ruined my fantasy football season.

Oakland gave me -1 yesterday and will likely be out of the playoffs.

In the previous 5 weeks using advice from this thread my defences have scored -2,0,-1,0,3.

So the right choice is the one you believe in and not the one recommended here!

Lesson learned by me the hard way.

This thread on a weekly basis has single handedly ruined my fantasy football season.

In the previous 5 weeks using advice from this thread my defences have scored -2,0,-1,0,3.

You probably aren't seeing this post, I'm thinking you must have me on ingnore. I was practically yelling and screaming at people not to trust the Oakland defense, despite the high rankings across many fantasy sites. You came to the right place, but you followed the wrong advice.

:topcat:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't in good conscience recommend them, but I'd love to see someone with the stones to play:

ATL vs. WAS

Edited to add:

JAX vs BUF

NO at STL

I picked up Philly for Minnesota last week, without knowing about ADP. Really just counting on the jigsaw puzzle that was the Minny QB situation. Eagles defense has come on of late. I'm not really considering any others. Waiver wire is bare.
Philly has not let up more than 21 points in 9 straight games. They also have 25 turnovers (5th overall) and 35 sacks (14th overall) on the year. Definitely worth a look against a reeling Vikings team.

I'm rolling with Tennessee at home against Arizona.
That's a bad move imo. Arizona hasn't scored less than 20 pts in 9 straight games and are averaging 23.5 a game. While palmer can get turnovers, its risky relying on them.

What are the thoughts on BUF this week? @JAX, and the Jags have been on a roll recently...but BUF has the most sacks in the league and JAX gives up the 6th most. I think BUF's defense really depends on their offense not repeatedly turning over the ball, though...and Manuel's performance last week isn't giving me a whole lot of confidence in that. What do you guys think?

Trying to crack the code on fantasy defenses is an exercise in futility. I am not sure why we continue to include a team defense in fantasy lineups, but until that trend changes, I try not to overthink it. If an NFL defense is a good defense and passes the eye test, I tend to go with them over a poor defense with a 'superior matchup'.

Philly has not let up more than 21 points in 9 straight games. They also have 25 turnovers (5th overall) and 35 sacks (14th overall) on the year. Definitely worth a look against a reeling Vikings team.
I don't know if I would go with philly, I thought the Ravens would rack up the points against the Vikings at home, NO sacks, NO int's only one forced fumble, and they gave up 26 points. If Cassel starts this game could be very close, as Patterson is heating up, Jennings plays well with Cassel, and Tony G., is a well rested RB at 100 percent, plus the Vikings kicker can kick 50 yard field goals all day long in the dome. Now if Ponder starts at QB it's a different story.

Lions- a rare Monday night home game vs the Ravens. A must win and a wild crowd should produce sacks and turnovers.

Trying to crack the code on fantasy defenses is an exercise in futility
After being disappointed I stuck with Denver and let the chips fall where they may. May have to go back on this stance this week.

For Week 15:

Dallas vs. GB - Cowboys were dropped in my league, GB still not scaring anybody with Cassel at QB (obviously if Rodgers comes back disregard this)

New Orleans @ StL - They looked sharp last night against the Panthers

Trying to crack the code on fantasy defenses is an exercise in futility
After being disappointed I stuck with Denver and let the chips fall where they may. May have to go back on this stance this week.For Week 15:

Dallas vs. GB - Cowboys were dropped in my league, GB still not scaring anybody with Cassel at QB (obviously if Rodgers comes back disregard this)

New Orleans @ StL - They looked sharp last night against the Panthers
I think you mean Flynn.

Considering dropping New England for Philly, Detroit, or the Saints. Pats D has been awful the past few weeks and I can't afford another -4 from them.

More people might have Philly than usual since they were slated to play Detroit last week. I only picked them up due to the weather and got lucky. I will stay with them this week v. Minny.

Buffalo v Jax? Jax has played better, though.

I'm definitely dropping the pats defense for either the saints or philly. I was leaning on buffalo earlier but I think they will get ran on again. I was using Sunday's game against the bucs to help me decide on if I'll be going after buffalo's defense for this week

More people might have Philly than usual since they were slated to play Detroit last week. I only picked them up due to the weather and got lucky. I will stay with them this week v. Minny.

Buffalo v Jax? Jax has played better, though.
I have no idea who has the guts to to do it at this time of the year, but really considering there are almost no super matchups this week, and almost no even decent ones, I'm guessing Jax DST might be the best out there. Hard to believe but there it is.

ETA: Actually Philly would be my choice, but I'm not sure how available they are.

Debtating the merits of Philly, New Orleans, and Detroit.

DET gets the home game in a dome against a solid but unspectacular Ravens offense. My league doesn't reward highly for points allowed - rather high scores are generated by sacks, TOs, return yardage, and obviously TDs. DET is averaging 3 sacks and a TO per game the past month, and adding nearly 150 yards on returns (with an unsustainable .5 TD avg on returns). Jeremy Ross has been big for them in the return game, as he's averaging a healthy 112.5 yards per game returning, with a big play for the return teams in all four games in which he's been the primary returner. If your league rewards return yardage, that's a big boost.

PHI against Minny is a strong matchup if Peterson doesn't suit up, but I wouldn't want to count on that considering they're saying there's no structural damage. I could see Peterson forcing his way onto the field, though he may not be at 100%. Philly too has been playing great lately - averaging 3 sacks and nearly 3 TOs per game in their last four, though it should be noted they didn't sack Stafford at all last week, and had the snowpocalypse to thank for their three fumble recoveries. They've also had a string of excellent matchups, starting with the Tolzein-led Packers, then the disaster that is the Redskins currently, Arizona (who they dominated on the road - no highly notable injuries or backups for ARI), and then last week's snowfest with DET. SO, on the whole, they've played much better. Minny was a good matchup even before Peterson went down, and is better now if he doesn't play, though Gerhart is a solid back. Definitely worth a roll of the dice on Philly.

The Saints almost always have the benefit of playing with a giant lead thanks to Brees and company, which allows them to play very aggressively on the defensive side of the ball. STL isn't a terrible matchup (certainly not with a banged-up Austin and Kellen Clemens at the controls), and the Saints just dominated a pretty strong Carolina squad. Unless they're completely outmatched up front (like the Seattle game) it's hard to not like the Saints against the Rams this week, even on the road.

I'll be angling for one of these three matchups... tough to say which way I'll go right now.

It looks like the options that are open and most mentioned in this thread include:

Jax vs Buff

Philly @ Minn

NO @ STL

Det vs Balt

I'm personally torn between Jax & Philly... The Bucs just put up a lot against the Bills, now the Bills are going back to FL. Didn't see the game, but everything says EJ looked real bad.

It looks like the options that are open and most mentioned in this thread include:Jax vs Buff

Philly @ Minn

NO @ STL

Det vs Balt
Philly and NO are gone in my league so I'm down to Detroit or Jax. Hard to trust either...my current DST is Denver. I hate to think that my ticket to the championship is riding on fluking into a DST that doesn't suck.

I'd encourage everyone to make sure you know your league settings when it comes to DSTs. I've been playing this game for 12 years, in the same league for two, and picked up and started a D last week without really thinking through the potential scoring.

What I mean to say -- my league rewards you more for sacks and TOs and less for holding the opposing team to low point totals. Unless the DST in my league keeps them under 14, there's no benefit.

So, I'm sure all of you are aware, but it's worth a double check at this point in the year. It's got me really reconsidering my pick for this week... I need sacks and TOs...

I'd encourage everyone to make sure you know your league settings when it comes to DSTs. I've been playing this game for 12 years, in the same league for two, and picked up and started a D last week without really thinking through the potential scoring.

What I mean to say -- my league rewards you more for sacks and TOs and less for holding the opposing team to low point totals. Unless the DST in my league keeps them under 14, there's no benefit.

So, I'm sure all of you are aware, but it's worth a double check at this point in the year. It's got me really reconsidering my pick for this week... I need sacks and TOs...
I hope you know how your qb, wr, te, rb, and kicker positions are scored by now as well. It's the playoffs, so it's more important than ever to know how your league scoring system works.Good luck.

The Chachinator agrees with this post. I realized quickly if you want to lose then follow the advice around here.

The Chachinator is already up $23,000 this year and that number should go way up now that the playoffs have started.

The Chachinator only uses his own advice.

thanks. Without this post i wouldve never checked my league scoring system even though its week 15

Is it a crazy idea to drop Cin. for Philly? The Bengals got thrashed last week and Philly seems to have a nice matchup.

Is it a crazy idea to drop Cin. for Philly? The Bengals got thrashed last week and Philly seems to have a nice matchup.
I'm not dropping Cincinnati for Philly... they get the very same "nice matchup" next week that Philly gets this week.

That being said, I am looking to pick up Philly to start instead of the Bengals this week. Steelers have been giving up very little to opposing defenses of late.

It looks like the options that are open and most mentioned in this thread include:Jax vs Buff

Philly @ Minn

NO @ STL

Det vs Balt
Philly and NO are gone in my league so I'm down to Detroit or Jax. Hard to trust either...my current DST is Denver. I hate to think that my ticket to the championship is riding on fluking into a DST that doesn't suck.
go with detroit since they have a great matchup next week, vs the giants.

The Chachinator agrees with this post. I realized quickly if you want to lose then follow the advice around here.

The Chachinator is already up $23,000 this year and that number should go way up now that the playoffs have started.

Wth is a chachi? Oak had some serious flags about that matchup. It was risky going in. Don't blame the thread for your choices

Philly @ Minn

NO @ STL

Det vs Balt
go with detroit since they have a great matchup next week, vs the giants.
Well the goal is to get past this week and they are iffy vs. the Ravens IMO.

For now I dropped the Broncos (even though they have the Texans on Week 16, I have nobody else to drop) and picked up Buffalo.

Horrible options this week. Im debating between Philly & NO and not feeling good about any of them. I am dropping BUF. Maybe if the game was in Buffalo Id start them but I have zero confident in them.

Horrible options this week. Im debating between Philly & NO and not feeling good about any of them. I am dropping BUF. Maybe if the game was in Buffalo Id start them but I have zero confident in them.
I think phili and no are quality def plays this week

Philly is a bottom 5 fantasy defense this year and Matt Cassel has been decent the last two weeks. Even with no ADP Im not convinced that game is a great matchup plus its in the dome.

NO is a middle of the pack fantasy defense but can be gashed by the run which is the Rams strength. Plus again they are on the road.

I think they are both good plays but I wouldnt be confident in either and I am having a tough time deciding which one to add. NO is ranked above PHI on all the ranking sites I have looked at so far.

Out of those two I would go with NO.

I ended up with Buffalo because even though Jacksonville has been a bit more spry in recent weeks they still don't scare anybody and MJD is banged up.

Buffalo was horrid last week but TB is much tougher opposition

shadyridr said:
need2know said:
shadyridr said:
Philly is a bottom 5 fantasy defense this year and Matt Cassel has been decent the last two weeks. Even with no ADP Im not convinced that game is a great matchup plus its in the dome.

NO is a middle of the pack fantasy defense but can be gashed by the run which is the Rams strength. Plus again they are on the road.

I think they are both good plays but I wouldnt be confident in either and I am having a tough time deciding which one to add. NO is ranked above PHI on all the ranking sites I have looked at so far.
We must have really different def scoring settings. In my league phili is 13th overall with 94 total points. Only 3 points back from new orleans who is number 11. Phili has been remarkably consistent over the past 5 games or so after a really bad start

shadyridr said:
need2know said:
shadyridr said:

We must have really different def scoring settings. In my league phili is 13th overall with 94 total points. Only 3 points back from new orleans who is number 11. Phili has been remarkably consistent over the past 5 games or so after a really bad start
Yeah just double checked.

Philly is 25th in my league. They have scored... 11, 5, 5, -2, 9, 4, 6, 9, 7, 8, 8, 11, 6

NO is actually 21st in my league. They have scored... 7, 10, 13, 12, 5, 7, 10, 2, 3, 5, 10, 1, 8

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
anyone still trotting the Buffalo Bills out there this week?
I am in a dyno league, Jacksonville still sucks and Buffalo gets sacks and turnovers.

The object is high reward low risk, does it get any better than that.

But with my luck they will get -1 points. lol

I'm sure Buffalo will get a few sacks, but I would not count on many turnovers the way JAX has been playing lately. And if you get penalized for allowing more than 20 points, that Buffalo DST has a low floor. In my league, sacks only count for one point, turnovers count for 2 and defensive TD's count for 6 pts. I'd not be surprised to see Buffalo DST score in the single digits in my scoring system (that I think is pretty standard). They should still be a decent start, 8 to 10 pts say.

I see Atlanta as a top play this week. With the Redskins raising the while flag by not playing RG3, the remaining Redskin players will pack it in. I think Shanny knows he is done in Washington, and is packing his bags.

need2know said:
Chachi said:

Wth is a chachi? Oak had some serious flags about that matchup. It was risky going in. Don't blame the thread for your choices
Agreed. I've been in and out of here all year. I grabbed KC in one league, but I knew come Denver part 1, they were in trouble and in another league I have been playing the wire all year. I was checking since week 8 and my waiver D's have averaged 15 ppg the past 7 weeks. That is almost 1ppg better than KC's yearly average, so 14ppg is the #1 D. I had one bad week (Cincy against Miami, which was supposed to be a great one), but other than that, I have gotten 9, 10, 11, 22, 23 and 27 points.

I posted that I liked Arizona in the week 14 thread since they have been solid at home (they are the 9, 11, and 23 above). I didn't see many people agree, but anyone who took my advice might have advanced in their 1st round like I did. I had the high score for the week and needed it to win by 2. This thread and thinking through options has helped me a lot.

That said, I didn't like the Oakland option either. The things I look at are home/away splits, total scoring so far and matchups. I don't like going with crappy Ds with great matchups away (like Oakland). Those hardly ever work out. A decent D at home with a great matchup is cherry.

Users who are viewing this thread