What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defense for Week 16 (1 Viewer)

What are every one's thoughts on the Bills? Tanehill gets hit a ton and the bills always get their sacks.
I've hung on to BUF just in case the warm weather dolphins have to head into some crazy weather in Buffalo.

Plus, could be a let down game after a big victory for Miami over NE.
Id be interested to hear more thoughts on them as well.....thinking about them instead of the Titans at Jacksonville, although Miami seemed ok last week in the Pittsburgh snow

Beware playing the crappy defense with the great matchup.

Seems like nobody learned from the PHI D debacle that cost people championships.

And I'm talking about the DET D. That is not a good defense. Facing Eli sure, but as we saw with Cassel, strange things can happen.
Maybe the thing to realize was that the Vikes have been better on offense with Cassel than anyone has really realized much less been talking about.
Should rephrase this:

* Beware of crappy defenses with good matchups ON THE ROAD.

Maybe DET doesn't apply since they're at home.

Now if Flacco lights them up for 300+, 3 TDs DET is one less option for me to worry about this week.
I agree about mediocre defenses on the road, I try to avoid those even if the matchup is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds exactly like my Tennessee matchup....mediocre defense on the road with a good matchup on paper.....seems like a lot of these types that look good on paper have sucked this year

Beware playing the crappy defense with the great matchup.

Seems like nobody learned from the PHI D debacle that cost people championships.
The Eagles had been playing well for fantasy of late, though. So it wasn't really a case of reaching for a crap defense due to the matchup. This was a solid fantasy defense with a seemingly strong matchup. Philly was even on the road where its typically played much better this season. There were plenty of signs which pointed positively for the Eagles but as so often happens in this game things took a bizarre turn and everything went south in a hurry. .
Yeah, Iggles hadn't given up more than like 24 points in a month and a half or something. Totally a good enough play given the info known at the time. Those two teams meet again next week and I'd still consider them.

I am probably rolling with KC my only other choice is Arizona at Seattle
I'm going to have to hop off the Arizona train this week. I've used them around 4 or 5 weeks and they have done well every time, but on the road and on the road in Seattle is not a recipe for success. I think the Lions is the way to go if I can get them. If Cruz is out due to concussion (thought I read that), the Lions will romp.

Lions at home against Mr. turnover and the Giants
After holding Baltimore to six field goals I'm now more inclined to consider Detroit.

I've got to think that the NYG's offensive line will not be as capable of keeping the DET front out of Eli's face. And the game is now a must win for Detroit.

My big consideration is going to be, do I have the nuts to start a defense like this with huge upside (but downside risk) vs. a stable SF D at home vs ATL.

Sounds like Detroits the play guys! get on board the bus.

<----- (quietly tiptoing away from the trainwreck)

And it's not that I hate Detroit, it's just that the consensus defense of the week hype train is always a :hangover:

My best options on paper are Detroit and Cleveland. But, I started Philly last week (against my Vikings) due to this thread and it didn't work out so well.

My best options on paper are Detroit and Cleveland. But, I started Philly last week (against my Vikings) due to this thread and it didn't work out so well.
I have the same options and I also started Philly last week. Leaning towards Cleveland but monitoring the Haden injury.

I have Chiefs and Panthers defense. I'm thinking about picking up the Lions' D because I really like that matchup against the Giants who look like they're already checked out.

Would it be worth starting the Lions over the Chiefs against Andrew Luck?

I have the Colts and Browns but DET is on the WW....leaning CLE but the Haden injury may sway me to dropping CLE and picking up DET.

I am probably rolling with KC my only other choice is Arizona at Seattle
I'm going to have to hop off the Arizona train this week. I've used them around 4 or 5 weeks and they have done well every time, but on the road and on the road in Seattle is not a recipe for success. I think the Lions is the way to go if I can get them. If Cruz is out due to concussion (thought I read that), the Lions will romp.
Damn, somehow the Lions are already gone in both leagues. Going to have to sift through the rest since Arizona is not an option.

Sounds like Detroits the play guys! get on board the bus.

<----- (quietly tiptoing away from the trainwreck)

And it's not that I hate Detroit, it's just that the consensus defense of the week hype train is always a :hangover:
Any short-rest concerns for DET?

I have Chiefs and Panthers defense. I'm thinking about picking up the Lions' D because I really like that matchup against the Giants who look like they're already checked out.

Depends on your scoring setup. I think the Lions will hold them down on points (monitor Cruz, pretty sure I saw something about a concussion protocol), but I don't think the Lions score a lot in other ways.

Personally, I have been doing really well on defenses (except one league where after missing the playoff cut, no more waivers, so stuck with what I have) based on a theory of trying to find the best defense with the best matchup, especially at home or road depending on where they play better.

If you think the Lions will repeat the same thing against the Giants that Seattle did, then I would caution your thoughts. Seattle has almost tripled the Lions scoring in my main league. They have 73 TOs+sacks. The Lions have 46. Seattle has given up 205 points and scored 18. The Lions have given up 339 and score 24.

The Lions are not on a roll and Seattle is, they are in no way shape or form similar defenses, so to expect 5 INTs and a shutout is fools gold. I thought the Eagles weren't a bad play, but they are still in the bottom 10 defenses in my league as are the Lions.

One other anecdote, I got drawn into the Lions as a play of the week last year and it cost me my shot at the championship game in this same league (and the championship as my team had a huge week will on the golf course). The problem wasn't their actual play, but Stafford's complete incompetence setting up easy scores for Arizona. Just beware, I am sort of glad they aren't available.

I have the Colts and Browns but DET is on the WW....leaning CLE but the Haden injury may sway me to dropping CLE and picking up DET.
Honestly, I think the Browns or the Rams are my two options based on what is available. No way do I play Indy against KC at KC. Charles should eat them up and I play Charles in my championship, damnit. I would also consider the Dolphins, but their weak point is Buffalo's strength (running). I'll mull it over tonight.

stbugs said:
ZigZagMan said:

Depends on your scoring setup. I think the Lions will hold them down on points (monitor Cruz, pretty sure I saw something about a concussion protocol), but I don't think the Lions score a lot in other ways.

Personally, I have been doing really well on defenses (except one league where after missing the playoff cut, no more waivers, so stuck with what I have) based on a theory of trying to find the best defense with the best matchup, especially at home or road depending on where they play better.

If you think the Lions will repeat the same thing against the Giants that Seattle did, then I would caution your thoughts. Seattle has almost tripled the Lions scoring in my main league. They have 73 TOs+sacks. The Lions have 46. Seattle has given up 205 points and scored 18. The Lions have given up 339 and score 24.

The Lions are not on a roll and Seattle is, they are in no way shape or form similar defenses, so to expect 5 INTs and a shutout is fools gold. I thought the Eagles weren't a bad play, but they are still in the bottom 10 defenses in my league as are the Lions.

One other anecdote, I got drawn into the Lions as a play of the week last year and it cost me my shot at the championship game in this same league (and the championship as my team had a huge week will on the golf course). The problem wasn't their actual play, but Stafford's complete incompetence setting up easy scores for Arizona. Just beware, I am sort of glad they aren't available.
I understand your apprehension with the lions but nyg are pretty bad right now. I am not sure they could score many points vs anybody and they turn it over like crazy. I would not play the lions over a good def that have done it all year but if you are streaming I think its about as good as you can hope for

Cleveland at jets seems like a pretty good play. Miami at buffalo also. Detroit at home vs giants really is hard to resist, especially if cruz is out. Eli is good against the blitz and does not take a lot of sacks. Detroit is not a great turnover defense and they always seem to come up with knucklehead penalties to give gifts to the other offense. In leagues l dont have a top d l will probly go detroit for the chance at ints and return tds.

stbugs said:
ZigZagMan said:

I understand your apprehension with the lions but nyg are pretty bad right now. I am not sure they could score many points vs anybody and they turn it over like crazy. I would not play the lions over a good def that have done it all year but if you are streaming I think its about as good as you can hope for
Maybe, but I think I would rather take a chance with teams like the Browns and St. Louis. St. Louis has been a good scoring D and plays at home. If they can handle NO, they can handle TB. The Browns play the Jets, who actually are a better upside than the Giants (again, my scoring system, others vary). The Giants gave up 29 to Seattle, but since week 5 the worst other game was 13 and 3 of the 4 before Seattle were under 10. The Jets have given up 14+ points 8 times this season and have given up 15-27 points in 5 of the last 7. The Lions score less than the Browns and until last week the Giants were much better than the Jets, so I really don't think the Lions may be the best you can hope for this week.

stbugs said:
ZigZagMan said:

Maybe, but I think I would rather take a chance with teams like the Browns and St. Louis. St. Louis has been a good scoring D and plays at home. If they can handle NO, they can handle TB. The Browns play the Jets, who actually are a better upside than the Giants (again, my scoring system, others vary). The Giants gave up 29 to Seattle, but since week 5 the worst other game was 13 and 3 of the 4 before Seattle were under 10. The Jets have given up 14+ points 8 times this season and have given up 15-27 points in 5 of the last 7. The Lions score less than the Browns and until last week the Giants were much better than the Jets, so I really don't think the Lions may be the best you can hope for this week.
the defense hoarders in my league have already rostered St Louis and clv. In fact those defenses have been rostered for weeks

My waivers are really picked over. The only semi-decent plays I have are Cle @ NYJ and Buff v Miami. I'm not happy about either of them, but leaning towards the Bills and hoping for a slopfest.

I have KC, but just picked up DET and CLE this morning. I'm not sure who I am starting yet, but I at least blocked the ohter owner in the championship game from grabbing either of them. His only D right now is CAR.

I have KC, but just picked up DET and CLE this morning. I'm not sure who I am starting yet, but I at least blocked the ohter owner in the championship game from grabbing either of them. His only D right now is CAR.
That's a pretty good option even against the Saints. Not like you stuck him with the Redskins. ;)

I am rolling with the Bills who already beat the Dolphins in Miami this year. The Bills have only won 5 games this season but managed to beat the Panthers and Ravens at home. I think they win this game and Defense has a real good week

stbugs said:
ZigZagMan said:

the defense hoarders in my league have already rostered St Louis and clv. In fact those defenses have been rostered for weeks
Not much you can do there. My roster size in my DBC leagues is 14 and 15, so having 2 Ds on a roster is pretty difficult. Also, once out of the playoffs, you cannot make claims anymore. My opponent has KC, so I can't imagine him making any moves. Detroit could be solid, but if Cruz is healthy, I can see Eli having a decent enough game that the Lions don't do much. I don't think it will be like the Philly debacle, but for me, I am looking for real upside. My main league can be -5 for 28 points against and with Stafford throwing picks lately, a pick 6 could kill a D. The Lions have 2 10+ point games all year, the best was the game against Matt Flynn. Even two weeks ago with the 2 STTDs, they still only score 9 points because the defense was horrid. St. Louis has 10+ points in 6 of the last 10 games, including 4 of the last 5 at home. The Browns only have 4 10+ games all year, but the matchup against the Jets has been far better this year than the Giants. Again, people have short term memories and Seattle destroying the Giants gets too much consideration since Seattle D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lions D.

what do people think of Miami this weekend? have a choice of them, Clev, Det, Tenn and am leaing toward Miami. They have an athletic defense, seem to get 5ish+ points / week and it's a game they need to win. Detroit is likely next on the list but they seem hit or miss and have less trust in that unit than I do in Miami. Thoughts?

what do people think of Miami this weekend? have a choice of them, Clev, Det, Tenn and am leaing toward Miami. They have an athletic defense, seem to get 5ish+ points / week and it's a game they need to win. Detroit is likely next on the list but they seem hit or miss and have less trust in that unit than I do in Miami. Thoughts?
I'm rolling with Miami. Like the matchup against Buffalo. That defense is playing well and in the playoff hunt. Of course, I don't feel like a subject matter expert on waiver wire defenses. I started Philadelphia last week and now I'm stuck in the consolation bowl. :bag:

With my Superbowl matchup on the line and my league having premium scoring for defenses (standard sacks, T/Os, but 20 pt declining bonus for pts allowed), I'm adding to my hoard...

Already have Sea, KC and Det rostered. Adding StL and Mia tonight (my opponent is out of FAAB dollars).

Defenses are very important in this league, so YMMV. Will figure out later whether to start Sea or Det, but for now, I just want to block the #4%@ out of my opponent.

Yeah now is the season for blocking, but out of DET vs NYG, SD vs Oak, TEN @ Jax, and with CLE vs NYJ not available and my opponent holding STL vs TB, I think the only one worth blocking as a possible big day is the Detroit game. I still think the Giants can do ok there, a lot of times Detroit is considered a pretty good matchup for offensive players besides RBs and I could even see Andre Brown doing ok there with a possible shot at a TD.

I'm rolling with Miami. Like the matchup against Buffalo. That defense is playing well and in the playoff hunt. Of course, I don't feel like a subject matter expert on waiver wire defenses. I started Philadelphia last week and now I'm stuck in the consolation bowl. :bag:
Supposed to be rainy in buffalo sunday. does that change your mind?

Is anyone deciding between TEN and CLE? What are we doing? TEN actually lost to JAX at home 29-27. They're not good against the run and Todman is a young upstart. Add Ace Sanders, Denard Robinson to the mix and they might do some damage. Leaning toward CLE.

Is anyone deciding between TEN and CLE? What are we doing? TEN actually lost to JAX at home 29-27. They're not good against the run and Todman is a young upstart. Add Ace Sanders, Denard Robinson to the mix and they might do some damage. Leaning toward CLE.
Avoid Titans. They are not trustworthy, & haven't been other than a couple decent games early. I started them that home game vs Jax & lost that week because of it, so I'm clearly biased, however

I have the Titans and Im loathe to start them as well....I can see them packing it in too. Gotta pick between Buffalo or Miami methinks.....

Really boils down to sd vs oak or det vs nyg to me.

I think oak actually has a better offense then nyg right now and could see them scoring decently on sd. Sd and det have both been pretty crappy defenses all year though. I think det is still the play here due to no cruz and eli leading the league in ints

I think oak actually has a better offense then nyg right now and could see them scoring decently on sd. Sd and det have both been pretty crappy defenses all year though. I think det is still the play here due to no cruz and eli leading the league in ints
As poorly as Oakland has played recently, I'd be wary of taking the Chargers defense against them. Oakland always plays the Chargers tough, especially in those late season contests. It's kind of a grudge match.

If Cruz is in fact out, then I would go Detroit. I think I would still lean towards them, but it could be a coin flip if Cruz is there.

As poorly as Oakland has played recently, I'd be wary of taking the Chargers defense against them. Oakland always plays the Chargers tough, especially in those late season contests. It's kind of a grudge match.
I thought about that too. Division games are rarely beatdowns and tend to go the other way quite a bit

I like to avoid teams trending downwards. The Lions are trending downwards. A loss after this week almost guarantees the entire coaching staff being fired. ITS A TRAP!

I'll be playing St. Louis, Cleveland.and KC in my leagues.

My waivers are really picked over. The only semi-decent plays I have are Cle @ NYJ and Buff v Miami. I'm not happy about either of them, but leaning towards the Bills and hoping for a slopfest.
i like the bills this week. they lead the league in sacks at 49. dolphins are the most sacked team at 51. seems like a free 4 points.

now, i realize some leagues heavily penalize for points against, so there the bills should obv be avoided. but most leagues are big play dependent and the bills have a high baseline there.

other options are the browns @ nyj. mia vs buff. den @ hou. stl vs tb. ten @ jax. det vs nyg.

i like the lions. home team and the giants just give up a ton of points to the defense. in my league they give up a full 1.7pts/game more than the 2nd worst team. they dont score much and give up an immense amount of big plays.

I like to avoid teams trending downwards. The Lions are trending downwards. A loss after this week almost guarantees the entire coaching staff being fired. ITS A TRAP!

I'll be playing St. Louis, Cleveland.and KC in my leagues.
playing cleveland would clearly conflict with your initial stipulation. well, they arent trending as much as straight nosediving.

just reviewing the stats on nyg and the points they are giving to def each week. Crazy numbers. Looks like was, min, phili, and gb were the only teams not to get double digit points from them. Not exaclty good def there. Everyone else scored well including such great def as dallas x2, sd, denver, chicago, oak, and phili.

Starting lions with some confidence. Also, nyg have only scored more than 30 once this year in week 1

Presently have San Diego stashed in several leagues. Tough call between them and Detroit. Must win for both too.

I am always wary of using defenses that have just been bad all year fantasy wise. The Lions fit the bill, under 100 points in the year. A couple years ago the Raiders played John Skelton in his first start and scored -3 or something. No matter how good the matchup, bad defenses are always risky.

I am always wary of using defenses that have just been bad all year fantasy wise. The Lions fit the bill, under 100 points in the year. A couple years ago the Raiders played John Skelton in his first start and scored -3 or something. No matter how good the matchup, bad defenses are always risky.
I hear you but what if you have no other choice?

Users who are viewing this thread