What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defense for Week 16 (1 Viewer)

How about TEN @ JAX? Better than DET or CLE? The Jags have actually been showing some spark lately whereas the Giants just seem completely adrift.

No one is thinking about playing the jets this week? I have Detroit but I'm really worried to play them. O/U for that game is 49. The O/U for the jets is 40.5, the lowest this week

Cleveland at jets seems like a pretty good play. Miami at buffalo also. Detroit at home vs giants really is hard to resist, especially if cruz is out. Eli is good against the blitz and does not take a lot of sacks. Detroit is not a great turnover defense and they always seem to come up with knucklehead penalties to give gifts to the other offense. In leagues l dont have a top d l will probly go detroit for the chance at ints and return tds.
No way in hell I'd start the MIA D against Buffalo IN Buffalo.

That could blow up easily.

On the road. Buffalo weather. Miami off a huge win over NE.

No, No, No.

Anyone heard anything in Houston returning for KC? That would be a huge boost for there d. Also I think that this KC Indy game will be low scoring base on these teams are almost guaranteed to meet in the first round of the playoffs, making it very likely there not going to show much offense to each other. Just my 2 cents.

Anyone heard anything in Houston returning for KC? That would be a huge boost for there d. Also I think that this KC Indy game will be low scoring base on these teams are almost guaranteed to meet in the first round of the playoffs, making it very likely there not going to show much offense to each other. Just my 2 cents.
I totally agree with this.

Really struggling with my decision in one league. The incumbent is ARI DST @ SEA, not liking my chances in that environment.

Options (best to worst IMO)

• CLE DST @ NYJ
  • MIA DST @ BUF
  • TEN DST @ JAX
  • DET DST V NYG
  • TB DST @ STL
TEN, NO, MIN, NYG, IND, ATL on the road, or NYJ, PHI, JAX, WAS at home. Don't feel good about trusting any of those.

Cleveland is a nice pick versus Geno against a team booking tee times. Normally I wouldn't like Miami in a northern December climate but the weather will be mild (mid-40s) and rain might lead to a sloppy game. Titans were decent early and horrible of late. Hard to take the Leos coming off a devastating MNF loss but with Cruz out Eli's terrible season should continue. The Bucs have played better of late, especially against crappy teams.

TeeDub said:
No one is thinking about playing the jets this week? I have Detroit but I'm really worried to play them. O/U for that game is 49. The O/U for the jets is 40.5, the lowest this week
Good point, if your scoring system heavily favors lowest points allowed, either team might be a decent roll of the dice.

The Bucs have played better of late, especially against crappy teams.
STL is a crappy team??
What would you call a 6-8 squad? I'll grant you they have four quality wins on the year, but 6-8 puts them around 20th best in the league, no?

Anyway, the offense has given up four defensive TDs, so I don't think its unreasonable to think the DST going against them might be productive from a FF perspective.

Any SF D owners thinking of benching them for the DET D flavor of the week?

I'm tempted.

SF at home but ATL does have weapons. My scoring system has points for PA, Yards Against, and the usual suspect categories.

SF was damn tough on the road against TB last week, but in the championship game, need as much upside as possible.

need2know said:
I think if you have kc you have to play them over any of these others being mentioned...
The same KC defense that let Oakland score 31 points? I guess it all depends on how heavily you're penalized for points against.

need2know said:
I think if you have kc you have to play them over any of these others being mentioned...
The same KC defense that let Oakland score 31 points? I guess it all depends on how heavily you're penalized for points against.
We get hit kinda hard for the points against. -5 at 28 and -10 at 35. Kc got me 20 points this last week..I dunno just don't see indy scoring alot in kc

Alot of what is talked about in this thread is biased towards each scoring system so what makes sense for some will not for others. Defensive scoring is probably the most varied of all positions in fantasy and why taking someones ranking and not knowing how it compares to your scoring system is asking for a letdown.

I will be choosing from Tenn(vs.Jax), Jax(vs.Tenn) and SanDiego(vs Oak) - missed on waivers for St.L and Miami, been on the WW for defenses all year.

My leagues dont take into account yardage and Ds start with 10pts and go negative at 28pts. If I get 7+ points I feel I did alright on my D selection so I am looking for turnovers+sacks.

Jax's D over the last 4 weeks 11, 10, 8, 8 (Hou2x, Clev, Buff) and the last time they played Tenn they notched 17.

Oak has given up 7, 5, 5, 13(NYJ), 19(KC) to defenses and SD's defense got 4pts earlier this year. SD has not done much on D. When Oakland has trouble running the ball it seems defenses can rack up some sacks+ints. The only way I can see SanDiegoD being viable is if they can jump to an early lead and keep it at 7+points for a majority of the game. In a close game I think Oak will run R.Jennings, Reece possibly DMac and try to keep McCloin from throwing the ball.

TennD which I picked up a few weeks back has been inconsistent of late w/ 5(Oak), 7(Indy), -4(Den), 1(Ari) and the last time they played Jax 7 w/3 sacks and 2ints. I would feel more comfortable starting them if they had of done more at Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
need2know said:
We get hit kinda hard for the points against. -5 at 28 and -10 at 35. Kc got me 20 points this last week..I dunno just don't see indy scoring alot in kc
I don't know. Will Indy score 31 points, unlikely. Can they score 21-24, easily. The other problem is that I don't see Luck making McGloin-like mistakes, nor do I think Indy's special teams are a disaster like Washington's (not sure on this last point). I guess the bottom line is that I don't see the upside of their previous two weeks match-ups. If Houston plays, I'll have a tough call between DET, KC, and CLE.

Just something to keep in mind these teams Indy, KC, Den, Sea all have clinched a playoff spot and potentially could rest starters late in the game(s). They also may use this time to practice something they feel they are weak at offensively or defensively, i.e. like jm.Harbaugh mentioned last year (too lazy to look for link).. The bubble teams will give you 110%. ;)

That is one reason I am considering Miami.... Normally this is a terrible idea on the road in bad weather up north but this is one of those bubble teams that is trending upward.

I don't like Division games, and I don't like DEF on the road. Not sure about :

KC vs. IND: KC giving up lots of points recently, maybe Justin Houston's return helps? Luck has put up points at times, but INDY is schitzo.

DET vs. NYG Gotta love the chance at turnovers vs. Eli, NYG best matchup for opposing DST, DET probably come out firing and likely to run up the score on NYG by passing.

CLE @NYJ Love the Geno-coaster, but Hayden might be out this week. Also on the road.

That is one reason I am considering Miami.... Normally this is a terrible idea on the road in bad weather up north but this is one of those bubble teams that is trending upward.
EJ Manuel just ruled out.

S. Johnson may not play.

Miami D could suddenly sprint up the rankings.

Well I sure havent had any luck going with conventional wisdom with defenses this year....may very well go with Miami over Tennessee and Buffalo. Only thing left on the wire is TB, Jax, Was, and Min....ugh

And another option...Denver.

Keenum ruled out so pick 6 Schaub back.

And Ben Tate possibly put on injured reserve today.

Have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in the next two days.

Detroit never gets sacks, hardly forces turnovers and there two touchdowns came on returns in the foot of snow in philly. Bottom five in int, 32nd in fumble recoveries, 30th in sacks. Eli will throw picks under pressure, but do you trust a team with 28 sacks on the year to apply that pressure? The team has great tackles, but no outside rushers and barely blitzes. Im staying away from Detroit.

Detroit never gets sacks, hardly forces turnovers and there two touchdowns came on returns in the foot of snow in philly. Bottom five in int, 32nd in fumble recoveries, 30th in sacks. Eli will throw picks under pressure, but do you trust a team with 28 sacks on the year to apply that pressure? The team has great tackles, but no outside rushers and barely blitzes. Im staying away from Detroit.
This is what worries me. Detroit just isn't a big play defense. Giants may score 14 or less but how many turnovers/sacks?

I am considering Denever now with Shaub coming back. Denver has been bad for the last month+ as well.

With EJ Manuel out, Stevie Johnson possibly out, and the miami's dolphin's upward trend, the Miami dolphins defense looks to be the trap defense of the week.

Yeah I just dropped the jets defense for them Miami, but this is already starting to smell like the Philly debacle last week.

CJ spiller and/or Fred Jackson could have huge games against their run defense. CJ might break a few big runs

This is what worries me. Detroit just isn't a big play defense. Giants may score 14 or less but how many turnovers/sacks?

I am considering Denever now with Shaub coming back. Denver has been bad for the last month+ as well.
Detroits dline should destroy the giants oline. Key word being should...

Bills are no joke at home, and both EJ and Stevie J have not played well, making their absense irrelevant.

Lost to NE on last second FG - rookie QBs first ever game

Beat Car

Beat Bal

Lost to Cin in OT - long return set up game winning FG

Lost to KC - on verge of going up 17 before 4th string QB throws a pick 6 from the KC 1yrd line

Thumped the Jets

The Atl "home" game was in Toronto.

They have 22 sacks and 11 picks in the 6 home games. I like them to win, they are still very motivated and can finish with a winning record in the division.

I understand the worry about Detroit. Our front four are great, but we don't get many sacks as our CBs are garbage so we have to cover for them. It's a sign of how powerful our front four are that they DO get a good amount of pressure on the QB by themselves.

There is a lot of logic to playing them....

- at home

- Giants are poor and throw INTs

- we didn't give up a single touchdown to Ravens at home

- Gaints have been phoning it in past couple of weeks ?

- if this team at still believes in themselves or want to fight for Schwartz, they will come out guns blazing.

Having said that, it's the Lions. I was knocked out last week and will play them instead of the Panthers because they is no pressure on me, but to adopt their D for a championship game is akin to handing yourself over to the gods of Lions fans, and well, if you ask any Lions fan how those gods treat us, you most likely won't like the answer :-(

There certainly is risk to starting DET, but the Giants really are a mess right now with the way they have been playing and all their injuries. I keep envisioning what they did to GB on Thanksgiving and I'm finding it hard to keep them out of my lineup.

Bills are no joke at home, and both EJ and Stevie J have not played well, making their absense irrelevant.

Lost to NE on last second FG - rookie QBs first ever game

Beat Car

Beat Bal

Lost to Cin in OT - long return set up game winning FG

Lost to KC - on verge of going up 17 before 4th string QB throws a pick 6 from the KC 1yrd line

Thumped the Jets

The Atl "home" game was in Toronto.

They have 22 sacks and 11 picks in the 6 home games. I like them to win, they are still very motivated and can finish with a winning record in the division.
Thanks man that's good insight....I have them in right now despite wavering

Have Panthers penciled in as of now, Bills and Lions on hold., The Lions look tempting due to the match-up, just don't know if I trust the Lions. Bills look tempting after Houston's post. I'll probably drink a few beers, set the empty's on a fence about 50 yards away, mark each can with the team D's name, and see which one I can hit with my pellet gun

Winner

Have Panthers penciled in as of now, Bills and Lions on hold., The Lions look tempting due to the match-up, just don't know if I trust the Lions. Bills look tempting after Houston's post. I'll probably drink a few beers, set the empty's on a fence about 50 yards away, mark each can with the team D's name, and see which one I can hit with my pellet gun

Winner
Nah that's Duff Man's post. I've got the same read on these defenses as you do. The way this year has gone with defenses for me I'm tempted to start the one that makes the least sense.

Winner
Nah that's Duff Man's post. I've got the same read on these defenses as you do. The way this year has gone with defenses for me I'm tempted to start the one that makes the least sense.
Sad thing is I'm 50 years old and using a pellet gun to determine my D...it does have a scope though... :shrug:

I added like every potential option because I had leftover FAAB for this week I have it narrowed down to Browns @ Jets or Lions home against NYG

Over the last month the Jets have been even more abysmal then the Giants in terms of fantasy points by opposing defenses. The Jets have been in the teens other then the Oakland game where Oakland scored -1, other then that its 15,17, 16, 19 against them the last 5 weeks.

In my league scoring, home team defenses against TB have scored 10+ points (incl Jets, Falcons, Lions) except once, oddly enough against Seattle. I don't have many other homeruns on the wire to grab so I'm going to roll with STL.

How do you guys feels about San Diego? They have been mediocre at best but that last raiders game was a circus.

In my league scoring, home team defenses against TB have scored 10+ points (incl Jets, Falcons, Lions) except once, oddly enough against Seattle. I don't have many other homeruns on the wire to grab so I'm going to roll with STL.
I think I have settled on them. Detroit has been rostered for a while (no idea why) and Miami and Cleveland are the other options. I don't like road teams that aren't great Ds and Miami's hole is run, which doesn't match well with Spiller/Jackson and it seems like Haden may be out. I think Cleveland is still an option because of how bad the Jets have been, but they have been very mediocre. The past 9 weeks, they have had 3 good games (the others have been awful) and only one of those games had a good D game. The other 2 would have been bad scoring games aside from the TDs. I know you can't take away TDs, but you like to see other scoring potential since they have scored TDs in only 3 of 14 games. Detroit (not an option for me) is the same way, they just don't put up a lot of points. They could hold the Giants to 10-14 points, but the upside may not be there. They won't score 20+ like Seattle because they are not Seattle.

Also, a caution for Cleveland, in my scoring, they have 86 points in 14 games. In 8 homes games, they average 7.25 and in 6 away games they average 4.67. They have had some bad games at home, but their 4 best (10+) games were all at home. St. Louis has been solid at home, including 10+ in 3 of the last 4 home games including Chicago, NO and Seattle. That is damn impressive to score 10+ against those 3 offenses.

I think St. Louis is my choice and after thinking about it, are definitely who I am going with this week. I'll keep KC in it in my other league. In that league, my team has been decimated by injuries, so I need the high ceiling that KC has at home.

Just picked up Detroit defense for two championships. Had Tennessee previously and considered Cleveland. Detroit at home and need a win badly to stay alive in playoff race.

How do you guys feels about San Diego? They have been mediocre at best but that last raiders game was a circus.
One D/ST TD all year, only one time in double digits (in my league) all year. Good matchup but they're not good.
I had tenn penciled in and am wavering. The raiders suck. Bad. I'm leaning towards starting SD. I have car, but not the stones to start them vs NO.Eta: the raiders had 299 total yards, 132 of them in the first quarter and both offensive Td's, they had a def TD and 2 fts after that. My thought is SD will be ready to go and needs this game. :shrug:

I'm holding DET & StL. I had been leaning Lions, but your post has made me lean Rams.

In addition to all the awful stats you listed, Detroit turns the ball over a LOT. NYG is #1 in give-aways (39), but DET is #2 (31). Even if Eli doesn't put up many points, Stafford could put up points for the Giants. >.<

I was on the Phily train last week and I dont see Det the same way. Last week ADP/Gerhart were declared "out" like an hour before the game. I dont think too many would have hyped Philly knowing ADP was starting. My thinking Philly was still expecting a heavy does of the run game and were caught completely off guard for the passing attack thrown at them. From reading Fraizer's comments it was obvious they had no intention of starting either guy. My gut is telling me Minn had prepared for a full out passing game early in the week. Somehow Cassel was successful early on and they kept it up. Fortunately I had GregJ. in the lineup to offset Philly D.

This doesnt seem to be one of the better weeks to be shopping for a defense which happens. Of all the ww defenses this week Detroit seems to be one of the better choices. I am still surprised Eli has not been pulled this year. Couglin must feel pretty secure in his job status.

I have Tenn, Jax, SD this week still on the fence which way to go.

DET is feeling way too similar to the runaway PHI D hype from last week.

Don't like this.
I have DET in my lineup this week and I'm feeling the same way....looks perfect on paper but for some reason not loving it.
This defense is really not that good. I'll give them the rush D, but other than that...pretty awful. Bottom half to bottom third across ints, sacks, passing yards allowed, etc.

That matchup looks sweet, but there are red lights flashing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread