What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Week 15 Defenses (1 Viewer)

MIA or STL... MIA or STL... Right now it's STL ( an actually good NFL defense) against ADP. :football:
dunno on the Dolphin love ... Henne might get Shorts back, and is returning back to Miami ... who knows, maybe he pulls another Texans like game outta his ####

'TwinTurbo said:
I think the Lions D is fools gold his week. They haven't looked good all year and have scored zero TD's on defense and special teams. The Raiders and the Jags are the only other two teams that have zero TDs on defense and special teams. I actually think the Cards D will outscore the Lions D this week.
Detroit actually has a ST touchdown but otherwise I agree with you.
When was that? I believe you are mistaken.

'TwinTurbo said:
I think the Lions D is fools gold his week. They haven't looked good all year and have scored zero TD's on defense and special teams. The Raiders and the Jags are the only other two teams that have zero TDs on defense and special teams. I actually think the Cards D will outscore the Lions D this week.
this.Lions are the worst scoring defense in fantasy football, I can't go there this week.

Anybody have thoughts on the Rams??? Ranked 3rd by FBG this week. Unlike the Lions, they have scored a lot of fantasy points this year. At home. Weak passing attack by the Vikings. All comes down to managing ADP. The Bears D is an absolute sieve vs. the run right now so some may be scared of going agsints ADP based on what they saw, but I think the Rams will provide a sterner test.

I do not get the love for the St Louis Defense.

Last 5 weeks the team defense playing Minnesota scored a COMBINED 24 points. Less than 5 points a game.

Week - Team Played - Defensive Points Scored Against

Wk 14 Chicago - 3

Wk 13 @Green Bay - 4

Wk 12 @Chicago - 8

Wk 11 Detriot - 1

Wk 10 @ Seattle - 8

Only ONE team all season has broke double digits on Minnesota. Proceed with caution.

Anybody have thoughts on the Rams??? Ranked 3rd by FBG this week. Unlike the Lions, they have scored a lot of fantasy points this year. At home. Weak passing attack by the Vikings. All comes down to managing ADP. The Bears D is an absolute sieve vs. the run right now so some may be scared of going agsints ADP based on what they saw, but I think the Rams will provide a sterner test.
Rams are one of the few waiver wire defenses that actually plays good defense. Plenty of sacks and Ponder is not scaring anybody. Still ADP is on a quest for 2K, and that scares me a little. I have the Rams and Lions on my waiver wire (waivers process later tonight) and I'm still standing pat with Miami. Rams look like a much safer defense than the Lions but the Lions have the better upside. If forced to choose, I'd go with St Louis. Only because I'll bet on safe over upside in the playoffs.

'TwinTurbo said:
this.Lions are the worst scoring defense in fantasy football, I can't go there this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
'TwinTurbo said:
Apologies... I rechecked and it was blocked kick. I misread.

via RWorld-

Cecil Shorts is no longer feeling concussion symptoms and has been cleared to play in Sunday's game against the Dolphins.

Barring a setback in practice this week, Shorts will resume his role as Chad Henne's No. 1 wideout for Sunday's game in Miami. In seven games since the Jags' Week 6 bye, he's averaged 5.0 catches for 88.4 yards and has scored five touchdowns. He'll be squarely on the WR3 radar this week and his return also injects some life into Chad Henne's QB2 prospects. Without Shorts against the Jets last week, the Jags could muster just 168 net passing yards.

'TwinTurbo said:
Apologies... I rechecked and it was blocked kick. I misread.
But you helped convince me to go with the Bengals, so thank you.

Rams look like a much safer defense than the Lions but the Lions have the better upside. If forced to choose, I'd go with St Louis. Only because I'll bet on safe over upside in the playoffs.
this is exactly the point. if you're confident in your matchup you play STL. If you're the underdog you go with DET and hope for the best. that's why i'm going with STL in one and DET in another league.

Not on waivers, but how do people feel about Seattle vs. Buffalo in Toronto? Would anyone bench them for one of the hot WW DSTs (Lions, Dolphins, etc.).

Rams look like a much safer defense than the Lions but the Lions have the better upside. If forced to choose, I'd go with St Louis. Only because I'll bet on safe over upside in the playoffs.
this is exactly the point. if you're confident in your matchup you play STL. If you're the underdog you go with DET and hope for the best. that's why i'm going with STL in one and DET in another league.
teams facing the Cardinals in my league have scored double digits every week but 1 (and that was 8). I'd say that's pretty safe. teams facing Minnesota have hit double digits 6 of 13 weeks and above 20 only once and that was only 23. (Cardinals have allowed over 20 7 times including last weeks explosion)

Arizona travelled to New York in week 13 and then had to travel to Seattle in week 14. That's a tough two weeks. Seattle has been incredible at home and Arizona did beat Seattle at home in week 1.

I don't think someone like Fitzgerald would let his team quit. I kind of see a game like Arizona-Atlanta. Arizona forced 5 INTs and was able to score because Ryan kept giving them a short field to work with. They are decent at home and Stafford can be turnover prone at times. I'm passing on Detroit. Their defense has done nothing to say this is an easy choice.

I think I'm deciding between Jax and STL. I'm not a fan of road teams (DET and CIN).

Jax has given up the 4th most sacks in the league and Miami has the 4th most on defense. Miami doesn't create a lot of turnovers, but hopefully if they get good pressure they will. Jax also has the lowest Vegas team total this week.

STL defense has been playing well. Ponder won't beat them deep and is on the road. ADP scares the #### out of me, but I have to believe they game plan to stop him and make Ponder beat them.

teams facing the Cardinals in my league have scored double digits every week but 1 (and that was 8). I'd say that's pretty safe. teams facing Minnesota have hit double digits 6 of 13 weeks and above 20 only once and that was only 23. (Cardinals have allowed over 20 7 times including last weeks explosion)
Good points to consider. But a team that gets beat 58-0 and going into the last 3 wks of the season has collectively given up and has no pride. Arizona is a dead carcass with the buzzards circling. Season long trends are nice to consider, but I'll pounce on rotting meat while it's still fresh.

I'm pretty interested in the DET vs MIA debate. At the moment, I'm picking Miami. I know lots of people here think Ari is the tastiest matchup in the world (and they're probably right), but I also think they might be forgetting how bad Jacksonville's offense is.

The Jets are a common recent opponent-- and they scored 12 at home against Arizona and 11 on the road at Jacksonville. This week, Jax is on the road and Ari is at home. Just saying that the difference between these offenses is not necessarily as huge as you might think.

- Vegas says Miami will allow fewer points (Based on Vegas line (combining O/U and spread), Miami should win 23-15 while Detroit should win 25-19.)

- FO rates Jax and Ari as having similar pass pro, but Miami with a better o-line than Detroit, indicating more sacks by the Dolphins

- Both defenses have created a similar number of turnovers, so that's likely to be a wash

- The Arizona defense is more likely to give the offense good field position than the Jax defense is.

- Miami is at home, while Detroit is on the road (and Arizona may have something to prove at home)

I expect Miami to give up like 250 to Henne and completely stuff the Jags run game. I expect Detroit to give up like 150 or so to Lindley/Skelton and get run on a little by Beanie. Gun to my head: Jags get more touchdowns, but Cards score more points and might even win their game outright.

I'm pretty interested in the DET vs MIA debate. At the moment, I'm picking Miami. I know lots of people here think Ari is the tastiest matchup in the world (and they're probably right), but I also think they might be forgetting how bad Jacksonville's offense is.The Jets are a common recent opponent-- and they scored 12 at home against Arizona and 11 on the road at Jacksonville. This week, Jax is on the road and Ari is at home. Just saying that the difference between these offenses is not necessarily as huge as you might think.- Vegas says Miami will allow fewer points (Based on Vegas line (combining O/U and spread), Miami should win 23-15 while Detroit should win 25-19.)- FO rates Jax and Ari as having similar pass pro, but Miami with a better o-line than Detroit, indicating more sacks by the Dolphins- Both defenses have created a similar number of turnovers, so that's likely to be a wash- The Arizona defense is more likely to give the offense good field position than the Jax defense is.- Miami is at home, while Detroit is on the road (and Arizona may have something to prove at home)I expect Miami to give up like 250 to Henne and completely stuff the Jags run game. I expect Detroit to give up like 150 or so to Lindley/Skelton and get run on a little by Beanie. Gun to my head: Jags get more touchdowns, but Cards score more points and might even win their game outright.
I have found myself in a 2-DST league with very few FA options, basically MIA is the one renta-defense available that's worth anything and I'm not loving it.Jax with Henne AND Shorts have been way different. In Jax, with something to prove, and Henne playing for the job next year, I think they may put some points up.

Ryan Lindley will be the Cardinals' starting quarterback against the Lions.We don't know how coach Ken Whisenhunt decided between Lindley and John Skelton, but a coin flip was likely involved. Lindley has been uniquely terrible this season, posting an appalling 55.8 QB rating and 48.3 completion percentage. He's turned the ball over seven times, and yet to notch a touchdown. It's quite possible street free agent Brian Hoyer will get the call over Skelton if/when Ndamukong Suh and the Lions send Lindley to the bench.

Ryan Lindley will be the Cardinals' starting quarterback against the Lions.We don't know how coach Ken Whisenhunt decided between Lindley and John Skelton, but a coin flip was likely involved. Lindley has been uniquely terrible this season, posting an appalling 55.8 QB rating and 48.3 completion percentage. He's turned the ball over seven times, and yet to notch a touchdown. It's quite possible street free agent Brian Hoyer will get the call over Skelton if/when Ndamukong Suh and the Lions send Lindley to the bench.
i am guessing this news is even better for the lions def. although we will probably see multiple QBs from ARZ here

Just a couple of thoughts:

1.I jumped on this WW DEF thread midseason. This has turned out to be one of, if not, the best weekly threads of the season. Kudos to all of you.

2.Because of #1, I will never draft a defense until the round before my kicker. (Usually do anyway)

As of now, still rolling with CIN, but I am very tempted to pick up TEN for Monday. DET was snatched up this morning.

Awesome input from everyone, every week. Thanks! :thumbup:

I've also thought about picking up the TEN D. Any thoughts on them if desperate?
Sanchez, MNF, could offset your opponents Chris Johnson. (My case) I also don't like to waste points early on Thursday night football. Just a hunch, and they have been mentioned frequently through this thread. :shrug:

lol fantasy points count equally no matter when the game is. i see guys all the time who act like playing on monday is different. only prolongs the waiting

lol fantasy points count equally no matter when the game is. i see guys all the time who act like playing on monday is different. only prolongs the waiting
Actually, this all depends if you "feel" you can beat the team you're playing outright, or need that "Monday night miracle". Every league and scenario is different.I'm sure we have all seen our fair share of Monday night miracles as well. You never know

I'm pretty interested in the DET vs MIA debate. At the moment, I'm picking Miami. I know lots of people here think Ari is the tastiest matchup in the world (and they're probably right), but I also think they might be forgetting how bad Jacksonville's offense is.The Jets are a common recent opponent-- and they scored 12 at home against Arizona and 11 on the road at Jacksonville. This week, Jax is on the road and Ari is at home. Just saying that the difference between these offenses is not necessarily as huge as you might think.- Vegas says Miami will allow fewer points (Based on Vegas line (combining O/U and spread), Miami should win 23-15 while Detroit should win 25-19.)- FO rates Jax and Ari as having similar pass pro, but Miami with a better o-line than Detroit, indicating more sacks by the Dolphins- Both defenses have created a similar number of turnovers, so that's likely to be a wash- The Arizona defense is more likely to give the offense good field position than the Jax defense is.- Miami is at home, while Detroit is on the road (and Arizona may have something to prove at home)I expect Miami to give up like 250 to Henne and completely stuff the Jags run game. I expect Detroit to give up like 150 or so to Lindley/Skelton and get run on a little by Beanie. Gun to my head: Jags get more touchdowns, but Cards score more points and might even win their game outright.
I have found myself in a 2-DST league with very few FA options, basically MIA is the one renta-defense available that's worth anything and I'm not loving it.Jax with Henne AND Shorts have been way different. In Jax, with something to prove, and Henne playing for the job next year, I think they may put some points up.
I picked up both Detroit and Miami and was leaning Miami, but now I'm not so sure. I have Houston D also and remember being horrified as JAX torched them in what should have been a great matchup. Can Arizona just run on Detroit and move the ball with a conservative game plan? I have a problem with the Bad D vs Bad O play, especially on the road. And thanks for the suggestion of blocking your playoff opponent. I just bid more FAAB dollars than my opponent had left for both Miami and Detroit so he couldn't use either one of them. Now, which one to actually use... Going Houston vs MIN in week 16 if I get there.

What are people's thoughts on GB @ Chi if they've been dropped? Clay Mathews and Woodson are supposed to be back this week, right?I might even pick them up just for TEN at home week 16
I have the Jets, Miami, and Green Bay for options. I am watching GB closely, for IF Woodson and Mathews plays, I think GB is the play over Miami. The last time The Pack played the Bears, 7 sacks, 4-INTs. Now Cutler has a tweaked neck, and I like Randall Cobb as a Return Man for Special Team TD. Miami is the "safe" play as Cameron Wake is sick and the Jaguars Offensive Line might be the worst in the NFL. I have not paid much attention to Miami's return game.I see the Jets setting up for a major let down against the Titans. I can see Tennesse AT HOME, punching the Jets in the mouth with Britt hitting stride.Thoughts?

What are people's thoughts on GB @ Chi if they've been dropped? Clay Mathews and Woodson are supposed to be back this week, right?

I might even pick them up just for TEN at home week 16
I have the Jets, Miami, and Green Bay for options. I am watching GB closely, for IF Woodson and Mathews plays, I think GB is the play over Miami. The last time The Pack played the Bears, 7 sacks, 4-INTs. Now Cutler has a tweaked neck, and I like Randall Cobb as a Return Man for Special Team TD.

Miami is the "safe" play as Cameron Wake is sick and the Jaguars Offensive Line might be the worst in the NFL. I have not paid much attention to Miami's return game.

I see the Jets setting up for a major let down against the Titans. I can see Tennesse AT HOME, punching the Jets in the mouth with Britt hitting stride.

Thoughts?
Thigpen can break a TD anytime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hijJbZguSWw

I already have Balt vs Den, (I believe Payton will shred them but Balt is at home), TB vs. NO.(Brees should tear the secondary apart). Minn was dropped on the WW today and i am thinking about picking them up. Minn vs. STL I think that might be my best option. any thoughts on Minn?

The Az at Sea game was a buzzsaw. Once it got out of hand, it really got out of hand. I don't expect a 50 spot for the Det defense but They still are starting Lindley at QB, who's shown no signs that he can play at all. That offensive line is truly offensive. Arizona is a turnover machine as well. So if your league rewards for sacks and turnovers, then Det is still a good play.

I do see AZ putting up a few points though as Detroit can't really stop people from moving. I see a 24-13 kind of win for Det but they could have 4 sacks and 3 turnovers. Possibly a pick 6 in there. Should be a solid day and still the best bet in my mind.

I'm having trouble decideing between Cin or Det. Det has a great matchup but I've watched aall their games and they have a habit of letting tons of points, especially in the 4th. On the other hand, Cin is a pretty good def.

I'm having trouble decideing between Cin or Det. Det has a great matchup but I've watched aall their games and they have a habit of letting tons of points, especially in the 4th. On the other hand, Cin is a pretty good def.
i would probably go with deroit, just on the matchup, but cinci is a great def. cant lose either way if you ask me. you will get points no matter what

I have the same dilemma.I think Philly has been playing better as Foles has gotten more comfortable starting. Philly has weapons and can score. They are playing at home which helps. AZ is not going to lay another goose egg. They will score against Detroit. They will give Detroit plenty of turnover opportunities. Can Det. take advantage?My league gives 2 points for turnovers and up to 20 points for a shutout. My best guess is AZ scores less offensive points than Philly = Advantage DetroitBoth should have similar turnover chances. I'm sticking with DETROIT :thumbup:

I have the same dilemma.I think Philly has been playing better as Foles has gotten more comfortable starting. Philly has weapons and can score. They are playing at home which helps. AZ is not going to lay another goose egg. They will score against Detroit. They will give Detroit plenty of turnover opportunities. Can Det. take advantage?My league gives 2 points for turnovers and up to 20 points for a shutout. My best guess is AZ scores less offensive points than Detroit = Advantage DetroitBoth should have similar turnover chances. I'm sticking with DETROIT :thumbup:
Really hard to see arz score more than 14 to 17. They have scored 17, 6 , and 0 last three weeks. Not a good trend

I wasn't able to get the Lions or Rams, so I ended up grabbing the Titans. I'm starting to warm up to them... in my league, DEF opponents of the Jets over the past 6 weeks have scored:

Jaguars - 11.80

Cardinals - 20.23

Patriots - 26.36

Rams - 6.23

Seahawks - 21.35

Dolphins - 20.41

20+ points 4 out of 6 weeks to DEF opponents of the Jets looks nice. Although, the Titans DEF has only scored more than 20 once all season (in our scoring system), against the Dolphins. But with the Jets offense in shambles, and the Titans in a rare Monday night game at home, seems worth a shot.

Opposing DSTs have scored at least 20 Fantasy points in each of the past four games against the Cardinals with the Falcons, Rams, Jets and Seahawks all doing well. Seattle posted a 58-0 shutout in Week 14 with four interceptions, three sacks, four fumbles and two defensive touchdowns. This should be a good week for the Lions DST.

Those are the two I am debating between now.The weather tonight will be in the 30s. Cincinnati is 1st in the league in sacks and Philly is top 5 in sacks given up. They should be able to apply pressure to Philly and they do a good job forcing fumbles. That has been Brown's downfall so there is always a good chance for a TD. Michael Johnson is a huge wild card as he has been out of practice in a walking boot (8.5 sacks). I think both are decent options and it will come down to some luck if one gets a TD, but right now I'm leaning Cincy. They are a better defense in a must win (Phil coming off a big comeback win too) and the weather will be more favorable than for Detroit.

Opposing DSTs have scored at least 20 Fantasy points in each of the past four games against the Cardinals with the Falcons, Rams, Jets and Seahawks all doing well. Seattle posted a 58-0 shutout in Week 14 with four interceptions, three sacks, four fumbles and two defensive touchdowns. This should be a good week for the Lions DST.
To play devil's advocate, Detroit is not as good as any of those defenses and 3 of those 4 were road games for AZ.

To play devil's advocate, Detroit is not as good as any of those defenses and 3 of those 4 were road games for AZ.
DET is the worst fantasy defense in the NFL.

Thinking about picking up Oakland at home v. Chiefs. No Bowe, lots of Charles. I would have to drop SF or NE to do this. Seems crazy to pick up Oakland but I'm concerned about SF v. NE. Stil haven't made up my mind.

I grabbed DET off waivers to keep them away from my opponents, but this thread has persuaded me not to start them.

I'm going to be using Cincy and Seattle instead. I think both have a higher floor than the Lions. Detroit still has the most upside, IMO, since Lindley is just terrible. But I'm afraid of DET crapping the bed.

Thinking about picking up Oakland at home v. Chiefs. No Bowe, lots of Charles. I would have to drop SF or NE to do this. Seems crazy to pick up Oakland but I'm concerned about SF v. NE. Stil haven't made up my mind.
I just dropped the 49ers defense. As good as they are in real life, they have been an average start most of the season. NE has been ridiculously good in not allowing opposing defenses to score fantasy points. They are by far the best in the league at it. In 5 of their 13 games, the opposing defense has scored negative points, and no one has hit double digits against them. The 49ers then play the Seahawks week 16, who are top 10 in this category as well. I've picked up the Titans and the Dolphins and am debating which one to start.

I'm just like everyone else here deciding between cincy and Detroit. Everytime I decide, something makes me change my mind. I should stop reading this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread