What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weather ALERT: Ike has ticket for Cle-Pitt (1 Viewer)

Seems like 20-25mph winds for the Tenn/Cinci game... Can kickers kick in that? Seems like it will take some long fg chances away for Bironas, but can he still make the shorter ones?

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:
Those benching Holmes will regret it.

Wind: Ben's arm is strong enough for any weather.

Rain: One DB stumbles on a quick slant, and Santonio is gone for 80 yards.

Start him with confidence.
30-40 mph winds? Really? You think Ben can:

1) throw deep against this wind and not have any affect on his ball.

2) adjust for the wind when it is going with him or Santonio can catch up to the ball being carried at that speed

3) the wind won't affect the ball other than in vertical directions

Rain is not so bad, but wind has got to be a huge problem for receivers, especially deep threats like Holmes.
You've never watched Ben play in this type of weather have you? Most QB's would suffer in this sort of weather, Ben doesn't for some reason. He's been doing it since college. Benching him (or anyone in the Squeelers passing game) would be a mistake imho.

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

2) adjust for the wind when it is going with him or Santonio can catch up to the ball being carried at that speed

Rain is not so bad, but wind has got to be a huge problem for receivers, especially deep threats like Holmes.
You've never watched Ben play in this type of weather have you? Most QB's would suffer in this sort of weather, Ben doesn't for some reason. He's been doing it since college. Benching him (or anyone in the Squeelers passing game) would be a mistake imho.
So how do you explain his 165/0 game last year against Miami in terrible weather? I don't want to bench him - especially given what a great matchup this is - but if the weather's bad, I may not be willing to take the risk of starting him.

mt99808 said:
Anyone remember that swamp game in Pittsburgh last year vs Miami. This might be very similar.
There were half a dozen games played on Hines Field the week of that game, the field was fine for the Baltimore game which had similar weather. Don't blame the weather for the Miami game, blame the idiots who thought Hines Field could withstand six football games in the middle of November without the field suffering. Eh, it's to be expected, these people are from Pittsburgh afterall...

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

So how do you explain his 165/0 game last year against Miami in terrible weather? I don't want to bench him - especially given what a great matchup this is - but if the weather's bad, I may not be willing to take the risk of starting him.
It wasn't the rain or bad weather, it was the six inches of mud.

Whats the forecast for the east coast tomorrow? I'm strongly considering starting Patten/Crayton over Holmes.

Weather for the Game

Looks like 29mph winds and 70% chance of thunderstorms at gametime.

I think I'm sitting Braylon Edwards in favor of David Patten for this week. I had Jamal Lewis sitting, but he may actually be a good play now.

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

Not that I don't believe you, and I understand it would take some digging up but link? It would be useful to see how bad the weather has been, and how well he has performed.

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

I have watched him play, and you're right-Ben does play better than some other QBs-IN THE RAIN. The wind will negatively impact his performance. It did last year-the only game he played when there was significant wind was the Miami game, and he settled for shorter passes. The wind will prevent him from being accurate on deep balls, which will allow the Browns (like the Dolphins did last year) crowd the underneath areas, which will prevent a lot of YAC from his receivers.

First no AJ now this! My only other options are Campbell and Ryan so I think unless you have a really good backup you roll the dice tonight with Ben - I will.....

Unpredictable weather like this is not good. We can all speculate but playing guys in this weather is a recipe for single digit points. I will just sit FWP and go with another flex on my team.

Unpredictable weather like this is not good. We can all speculate but playing guys in this weather is a recipe for single digit points. I will just sit FWP and go with another flex on my team.
every time I sit my studs for weather purposes for a lesser player it backfires. especially when the bad weather isnt rolling in until night - it could slow down during the day and you could be feeling ill watching a perfectly fine field/conditions where Ben and Willie go wild!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you sit FWP against a terrible cleveland run D? He will get a bulk of the carries and they will throw less. FWP is a great start here.

Why would you sit FWP against a terrible cleveland run D? He will get a bulk of the carries and they will throw less. FWP is a great start here.
The reason I said "another flex" is to prevent a WDIS thread but my other flex player is Lynch. So I will take the chance with him, perhaps.

Local Cleveland Tv station this morning says little windy and isolated T-Storms for the game.

I was sitting Braylon anyway since he didn't look sharp at all last week so if he has a big game, I can't blame the weather consideration.

Good chance Mendenhall gets more than the 10 carries he received last week (because of the poor Cleveland rush defense)... or will he receive fewer carries because of the forecast and his ball security issues? Gotta decide if he's a better gamble than Chris Perry. UGH!

TonightOccasional showers and thunderstorms in the evening... then a chance of showers after midnight. Breezy with lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 20 to 25 mph...becoming west 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.

TonightOccasional showers and thunderstorms in the evening... then a chance of showers after midnight. Breezy with lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 20 to 25 mph...becoming west 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.
Winds in excess of 20 mph can be tricky. This doesn't look good for anyone other than the RBs and maybe Winslow.

F it, I am sticking with Big Ben.

Its always been said that the advantage i bad weather goes to the WR's anyway.

mt99808 said:
Anyone remember that swamp game in Pittsburgh last year vs Miami. This might be very similar.
There were half a dozen games played on Hines Field the week of that game, the field was fine for the Baltimore game which had similar weather. Don't blame the weather for the Miami game, blame the idiots who thought Hines Field could withstand six football games in the middle of November without the field suffering. Eh, it's to be expected, these people are from Pittsburgh afterall...
OMG GOOD ONE

mt99808 said:
OMG GOOD ONE
Hey, GB. What do you think? Bench Edwards for Bowe?

i think i'm sitting ben (for delhomme) and starting braylon.

ben, being banged up in a game where there's no reason to throw any more than the 14 times he threw last week in a messy game doesn't seem to have the upside here to be worth the risk.

i see willie pounding the rock all game with a light chance of ben getting a quick hook if things get out of control. up by 3 TDs in horrible weather with a banged up ben, sounds like the perfect time to get lefty some reps.

i don't have better options, but all braylon needs is for a CB to slip to break one for 70 yards.

Ben's huge game against Baltimore last year was in bad weather, wasn't it?
Don't remember specifics, but yes, he put up huge numbers in what was predicted to be a bad weather, run only game. Played him last year, and probably going to do it this year too since my other options are Shaub and Cassel.

That's enough for me.

Benching Big Ben for Delhomme.

Clayton on ESPN said Pitt might have been less than truthful about Ben's injury, go figure. That and a steady 25-30 mph winds is too much.

Go Panthers!!

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

Not that I don't believe you, and I understand it would take some digging up but link? It would be useful to see how bad the weather has been, and how well he has performed.
I watched Big Ben play in inclement weather (like 40-50 mph winds and sideways rain) twice in college and slightly betgter conditions two other times. He looked just as effective in those games as he did again "real competition" vs. Baltimore last year when he threw for 5 TD's in windy/rainy conditions. The Mud Fest vs. Miami last year was an anamoly, if you have other quality options (I benched him for Warner) do it but don't go benching Ben for a guy like Garrard, Bulger, Eli, etc.

Ben's huge game against Baltimore last year was in bad weather, wasn't it?
Don't remember specifics, but yes, he put up huge numbers in what was predicted to be a bad weather, run only game. Played him last year, and probably going to do it this year too since my other options are Shaub and Cassel.
It was a MNF game against Baltimore - was wet but not windy and the Ravens secondary was a mess as I recall. Five first half TDs for Big Ben that night.

HoTnickZ said:
Raider Nation said:

I have watched him play, and you're right-Ben does play better than some other QBs-IN THE RAIN. The wind will negatively impact his performance. It did last year-the only game he played when there was significant wind was the Miami game, and he settled for shorter passes. The wind will prevent him from being accurate on deep balls, which will allow the Browns (like the Dolphins did last year) crowd the underneath areas, which will prevent a lot of YAC from his receivers.
Again, remember the field conditions in that game, if Cleveland's field is a muddy mess then I would expect ugliness to ensue but I doubt the field will look like that. It's really not that complicated, it's difficult to run in mud, WR's can't get downfield fast enough and it's difficult for the QB to get all of his legs under him due to lack of footing to make the deep ball an option.

from what I've heard QB's say in interviews, wind is - by far - the worst element for the passing game. I'll sit Ben and Santonio this week. For Ben, I can play Favre, a reasonable substitute. Holmes... well, let's go Ricky!!

Users who are viewing this thread