What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 10 Waiver Wire Defense (1 Viewer)

ragnarok628 said:
Mash said:
andyk803 said:
What about the Bucs vs that mess of a team in Miami for MNF?
The Bucs are more of a mess than the Fins (I think) and Lamar Miller is coming on as of late. Not sure I like this one.
organizationally, maybe the bucs are the bigger dumpster fire, but that Miami O-line is going to be majority backups by then, right? Doesn't sound like a recipe for success for Miami
Doesn't Martin and the bully both play on the left side?

ragnarok628 said:
Mash said:
andyk803 said:
What about the Bucs vs that mess of a team in Miami for MNF?
The Bucs are more of a mess than the Fins (I think) and Lamar Miller is coming on as of late. Not sure I like this one.
organizationally, maybe the bucs are the bigger dumpster fire, but that Miami O-line is going to be majority backups by then, right? Doesn't sound like a recipe for success for Miami
Doesn't Martin and the bully both play on the left side?
Martin used to, but he plays on the right.

I have the Miami DST, but am considering Buffalo, only because the Bucs rookie QB Glennon really doesn't take shots down the field. He never turns over the ball, with his dink and dunk game. Just not a lot of upside I thought would be there when I picked them up for this weeks game.

Kind of leaning toward the NYG's. They have been playing better the last few weeks, and they get an Oakland team that has to travel cross-country for a 1pm EST game without DMC and Pryor only has 1 TD passing and 1 TD rushing, along with 7 INT's in the last 3 games combined. The only thing that scares me about the NYG's is the lack of sacks.

Kind of leaning toward the NYG's. They have been playing better the last few weeks, and they get an Oakland team that has to travel cross-country for a 1pm EST game without DMC and Pryor only has 1 TD passing and 1 TD rushing, along with 7 INT's in the last 3 games combined. The only thing that scares me about the NYG's is the lack of sacks.
Not only that, they rarely turn it over and even more rarely get a Def td. In formats like the FFPC w/o negatives, they're a pretty weak option regardless of matchup. Now other formats (pts against/yardage etc) they could be decent.

I am going with the G-Men. I have a feeling they come alive in the weeks to come, and that division is still very much in the air.

Going with the Giants...

- refreshed coming off a bye

- good defensive display in last two games

- McFadden injured

- Pryor injured knee, status unclear

- Oakland in general were very poor last week

- game is in NY

Grabbing the Philly defense going up against a Rodgers-less Packers squad. Plenty of sacks were already likely, now a couple turnovers are, too.

Grabbing the Philly defense going up against a Rodgers-less Packers squad. Plenty of sacks were already likely, now a couple turnovers are, too.
If your league counts yardage against you I'd advise against that. They're improving but with how fast the offense scores they will give up lots of yards and a decent amount of points.

:blackdot:

A lot of these teams already rostered. Got the Bills in preparations for the playoffs, and looking to add the Giants and/or Cardinals this week so I have options (and to block out my opponents)

I have KC on Bye and BUF looks like a good play. They only let up 9 points against KC (I know KC is not exactly a powerhouse, but still) and have their DBs back. I like them in place of the 2 DEN matchups with KC as well...

None of the teams I really like are available (Tennessee and Indy specifically), so I'm likely going with Arizona vs. the Texans. I'd be lying if I said I was confident in the choice though.

I've tried to trade/package KC Defense, but no one is biting due to schedule.

Have a shallow bench and really don't want to drop RB or WR depth.

Anyone out there dropping KC for a waiver wire defense this week?

I would feel awful dropping a strong asset of my team so far, but just don't love the end of their fantasy scehdule and may need to drop them from a shallow bench with bye week issues.

What are the odds that Rob Ryan can add some magic juice against Dallas... Maybe he already knows the best way to beat his last year's team's offense. sneaky play?

My league had a DST run like I haven't seen over the past few years. Typically I put in a claim if it's a fantastic matchup, but I'll just wait until the next morning to pick up someone if not. I didn't see anything I loved, so I was just going to grab Arizona, Buffalo, etc. this morning. When I got up however, Arizona, Buffalo, Washington, and a few others were all grabbed, leaving the Giants as the best option on the board.

Looks like I'm on the New York Giants DST bandwagon for one week at least.

On the fence between Indy vs. St. Louis and the NYG vs. Oakland, both at home. Anyone have a thought on either?

I need to pick up a defense for the rest of the year. This one league caps how many moves you make in a year. Been going week to week but time to find defense available to use for rest of year. Someone just dropped Chicago, not a great matchup this week but that's got to be it?

What are the odds that Rob Ryan can add some magic juice against Dallas... Maybe he already knows the best way to beat his last year's team's offense. sneaky play?
I'm hopeful this will be the case. Picked up NO week 8 and decided to play them against the Jets which did not work out. WW options aren't great. Rams, Dolphins...G men?

Grabbed Oakland. I don't think the giants can fix their problems with a bye week and Oakland will be motivated to show they are not as bad as they were Sunday.

Why is Cincy not a decent option? Sure I agree they are a matchup play at best right now with Atkins being out but is this not a great matchup for them? Baltimore is a horrible offense.

Why is Cincy not a decent option? Sure I agree they are a matchup play at best right now with Atkins being out but is this not a great matchup for them? Baltimore is a horrible offense.
Check their home/away splits. Cinci has not had a solid road game all year. I posted this in another thread, but they've averaged something like 17 PPG at home and 5 PPG on the road. And they are on the road this week.

Somebody dropped the 49ers this week and I used my waiver claim on them. I already have KC. Would anyone consider dropping KC for added WR/RB/TE depth and roll with the 49ers the rest of the way?

Check their home/away splits. Cinci has not had a solid road game all year. I posted this in another thread, but they've averaged something like 17 PPG at home and 5 PPG on the road. And they are on the road this week.
Still makes no sense why someone would start HOU over them

Agree. Thinking of starting a separate thread on the theory of "bad D with a good matchup". I see far too many people over-emphasizing the latter and ignoring the former. Houston has only hit double digits FPs once all year, when they got 10 vs Seattle.

(That said, I just dropped Cinci the other day and picked up Arizona. I fear with the injuries and inconsistency on the road, Cinci has become JAD. In Arizona's case, I like the matchup, but I also think they're pretty good.)

Last edited by a moderator:
With a week to rest and time to reflect, Jason Pierre-Paul feels better than at any time since he underwent back surgery in June. He could tell by the way he was moving in Wednesday’s practice.

“I went out there today and tested it, and I felt like I’m moving pretty good,” Pierre-Paul said. “This is the best practice I’ve had … by far!"

I'm taking a chance with the Steelers this week. I think they rebound from last week's embarrassment and they have a nice home matchup, with or without Manuel playing. :shrug:

shadyridr said:
zftcg said:
shadyridr said:
I actually just dropped cincy for hou

I'd always prefer a home defense, but I didn't really have room for more than one, and hou has a pretty good stretch coming up, so the switch was more for the next 5 weeks as a whole.

I don't normally emphasize match-ups over the actual defense, but I think hou should destroy that ari o-line and put a lot of pressure on palmer.

also, I feel more confident that keenum can keep their offense on the field, rather than creating short fields for ari off turnovers.

it's true they've given up points, but their defense is actually first in yds allowed, and has only allowed 200+ yds passing twice this year, 245 was the high set this past week by luck, and I don't feel ari has a strong run game like a few of the teams that victimized them on the ground.

I've got the Bears DEF but I also have Bush & Johnson who I obviously can't sit. Add in Gould and that makes 4 in one game. I really don't like playing that many in the same game but my choices on the WW are limited. Redskins (vs Vikings Thurs) , Giants (vs Raiders), Bills (vs Steelers) or Dolphins (vs Bucs Mon). Or should I just roll with the Bears? Decisions, decisions.

I'm wary of the Dolphins being able to repeat what they did against the Bengals.

As someone else here mentioned, the Giants don't get sacks much less defensive scores.

Bills??? Two Chiefs td's last week were on def.

Redskins. Playing a def on a short week. I'm not so sure. Ponder played, not bad, last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I am hanging onto the Saints for one more week. They will get scored on but I foresee sacks, turnovers and perhaps a D TD.

With what is happening in Miami, I'm wondering if their D will bust teeth or not, in a rage-against-the-world mentality.

Problem is, it could also cause a loss of focus from all the distractions.

Since I grabbed Arizona and Indy in leagues that had them, I'm thinking the Giants I grabbed in other leagues I'll convert to Miami where possible.

What the hell, I'll join the circus.

How about Denver vs San Diego?
I'm rolling with them. With DEN's offense, there's always the chance that the opponent turns one-dimensional after falling behind. They'll give up yards in that scenario, but the chances are that they'll rack up some sacks & TOs along the way.

Agree. Thinking of starting a separate thread on the theory of "bad D with a good matchup". I see far too many people over-emphasizing the latter and ignoring the former. Houston has only hit double digits FPs once all year, when they got 10 vs Seattle.
That's because when you're p[laying the waiver wire game, there are many weeks where you don't have the option of grabbing a good defense. In my home league for instance, I had the choice between the Giants and Texans as the only decent matchups, and no legitimately solid defenses were available.

Going with Miami, NYG, and Zona in 3 leagues. Waffling in the league I have Miami, because Tampa has not been turning over the ball much. I like Zona's upside more, but FBG's seem to hate them. I don't understand. The Zona defense has been good all year, very good secondary, Houston RB's banged up, coming off a bye week at home. I don't understand why Arizona doesn't get more love in the rankings.

Went with Oakland in one and Miami in another. Debating starting kc next week. Not much out there.

What about Detroit against Chicago. Week 4 Detroit defense had 3 sacks, 3 int's, 1 fumble recover, a TD and a td on a fumble return. Cutler won't be mobile and Detroit has been playing better of late. I don't expect the same output but should still be able put up decent numbers.

I'm really struggling deciding between Houston and Buffalo. Both are on the road and both have question marks. I like the Buffalo defense more right now but I think Palmer is more turnover prone. I think I may roll with Houston this week and pray it's their week to top 10 points finally this season.

I hear a few people mentioning TB and I would caution anyone from starting a defense on a team that is in the process of giving up.

In standard Yahoo leagues, TB's defense is ranked 24th for the year and 30th over the last 4 weeks. I get the Miami matchup, but I think the media spin on the Incognito situation makes it seem worse than it really is inside the locker room.

Users who are viewing this thread