What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 14 Defenses (1 Viewer)

george

Footballguy
I picked up Washington last week for this weeks matchup with Oakland. I'm thinkiing that with the changes in Washington's backfield and the improvement in Oakland's offense, this is no longer a smart play. So, been looking at matchups for this week.

Defenses that might be available and a good play this week.

Jets vs Bucs looks like a good play, but likely not available.

Bills vs Chiefs looks good. Might be available.

Arizona vs 49ers if anyone dropped them.

Jags vs Miami might not be a bad play if your options are limited.

Washington vs Oakland is no longer the matchup it was, but not a bad play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tampa Bay vs. NYJ

Houston vs. SEA

Indy vs. DEN

TB, HOU, and IND are all available in my leagues.

How about the flip side of the coin, with OAK at home vs WAS? Sure, the 'Skins offense looked better last week, but will they make it two weeks in a row traveling out west? The improvements in the Raiders offense can't hurt either, as they won't be put in bad field position as often as they were under Russell.

george said:
I picked up Washington last week for this weeks matchup with Oakland. I'm thinkiing that with the changes in Washington's backfield and the improvement in Oakland's offense, this is no longer a smart play. So, been looking at matchups for this week.

What makes ARI a good play this week, given that the 49er offence seems to be resurgent? The rest of ARI's schedule is tasty, but wanted to know what about this game made you think ARI was a solid play. That they shut down the Vikes last weekend?

I'll be picking up Ten this week, have Dal vs SD currently. Also have Buf as an option.
I'm considering Buffalo and Washington as I have the Giants and am not starting them this week no matter what. I'm leaning towards starting Buffalo this week, they haven't been too bad the last couple of weeks.

Indy with Ryan Harris out is tempting, but I think I'm gonna roll with Houston against Seattle. Houston has been playing some tough D lately with Cushing emerging as a legitimate force. Hopefully Mario & Co. will be able to get after Hasselbeck

george said:

What makes ARI a good play this week, given that the 49er offence seems to be resurgent? The rest of ARI's schedule is tasty, but wanted to know what about this game made you think ARI was a solid play. That they shut down the Vikes last weekend?
That would be my guess. Plus, SF doesn't really rack up a ton of yards and points. Smith throws for over 300 but Gore gets limited. SF is no MINN.

george said:

I've got Arizona and it's a decent play for a couple of reasons. It's a Monday night game so that usually brings stand out performances generally speaking. It's a big big divisional game for Arizona and they are playing quite well right now. SF has been playing better on offense but they are not a juggernaut by any stretch. With SF passing more, that opens the door for more sacks, INTs and perhaps even a pick 6.Having said all that. I have Tenessee on the wire right now and I'm really considering them! :hifive:

george said:

That would be my guess. Plus, SF doesn't really rack up a ton of yards and points. Smith throws for over 300 but Gore gets limited. SF is no MINN.
Since Alex Smith took over week 7, SF has given up double digit weeks to two opposing defenses. (Sort of the bench mark of a decent week in our league). Week 8 vs INDY (11pts), and week 9 vs TENN (22 points). The last 4 teams have scored, 5, 7, 3, and 9 points. Questionable start.

IMO, the Redskins are a good play here. Sure, the Raiders offense tore up the Steelers defense last week but my hunch is more about the Steelers D and not the Raiders O. Aside from the Saints game, the Redskins defense has been serviceable.

I dropped 49ers to pick up Cards. Why?

1) The Cards seem to be playing really good D right now and the 49ers seem really unpredictable. The Cards win over a strong MN offense makes me think that they are going to be good down the stretch.

2) They play each other this week and I fear AZ offense more than the 49ers offense. Yes, the 49ers are playing better with Smith and Crabtree, but they are no where near as explosive as AZ is when Warner is player.

3) At worst this weeks's game is a toss up between these two defenses, but next two weeks definitely favors AZ as they play Lions and Rams. 49ers gets Eagles in week 15. Yes, they get Lions in week 16 but if you don't get through week 15 then what good does that do?

I am looking at

Jets D @ TB 9 22 9 the past 3 weeks in points.

Bills D @ KC... 4 5 5 the past 3 weeks but its KC they are playing. They played well last week vs the Jets with 5 sacks.

I'm rolling with New England at home vs. Carolina.

NE D isn't what it used to be but gotta expect a few INTs in this game. Maybe take one back to the house, is my hope.

I dropped 49ers to pick up Cards. Why?1) The Cards seem to be playing really good D right now and the 49ers seem really unpredictable. The Cards win over a strong MN offense makes me think that they are going to be good down the stretch.2) They play each other this week and I fear AZ offense more than the 49ers offense. Yes, the 49ers are playing better with Smith and Crabtree, but they are no where near as explosive as AZ is when Warner is player.3) At worst this weeks's game is a toss up between these two defenses, but next two weeks definitely favors AZ as they play Lions and Rams. 49ers gets Eagles in week 15. Yes, they get Lions in week 16 but if you don't get through week 15 then what good does that do?
:thumbdown:

lol, well i dropped jets last week since i have a bye this week and the Saints / Broncos D. I also dropped GB after their matchup against the Lions. I didn't think they would be as good without kampman and harris out and their schedule didn't look too appealing though I thought Chicago would be an easy matchup for them. Didn't expect them to shut down the Ravens like that but flacco has been struggling so it's not that farfetched. I actually kept Titans over them because I thought Titans vs STL would be a sure thing and Seattle vs TB next week would be good too. Even though the Titans haven't been getting monster points lately, they haven't been letting up that many points either and faced good offenses in Houston, Arizona, and Colts. STL are not the colts so I don't expect them to put up 27 points.

what you think? steelers defense w/o polamalu vs cle or ariz defense against san fran? Ive started steelers the last three weeks and the cards have outperformed em every week. plus since the cle vs balt monday night game quinn has been playing pretty good and no def has gotten over seven pts against them. i think cards will be out for blood considering san fran beat em on opening day at their house.

george said:
I picked up Washington last week for this weeks matchup with Oakland. I'm thinkiing that with the changes in Washington's backfield and the improvement in Oakland's offense, this is no longer a smart play. So, been looking at matchups for this week.Defenses that might be available and a good play this week.Jets vs Bucs looks like a good play, but likely not available.Bills vs Chiefs looks good. Might be available.Arizona vs 49ers if anyone dropped them.Jags vs Miami might not be a bad play if your options are limited. Washington vs Oakland is no longer the matchup it was, but not a bad play.
I'm wondering which side you like in these matchups...arguments can be made for both, save SF.

george said:

I've got Arizona and it's a decent play for a couple of reasons. It's a Monday night game so that usually brings stand out performances generally speaking. It's a big big divisional game for Arizona and they are playing quite well right now. SF has been playing better on offense but they are not a juggernaut by any stretch. With SF passing more, that opens the door for more sacks, INTs and perhaps even a pick 6.Having said all that. I have Tenessee on the wire right now and I'm really considering them! :confused:
Thanks to you and others for the thoughts. For full disclosure, I snagged ARI way early in the season to have them for the last two weeks of the playoffs, but for this opening week, I'm not as comfortable with them as perhaps some other options that might be available.While I agree that the elevated stage of MNF can bring out elevated play, and I like riding hot Ds, I just see this game as being much more of an offensive game, with both teams throwing 300+ and rushing 100+.

Yes, this opens up the possibility for more turnovers through the air, but I think both teams hang at least 21 points on the other, making me question balancing the potential for those picks against all of those yards and points that I know are coming.

Will definitely be riding ARI vs DET and STL in weeks to come, but I'm thinking in order to get past the first round, it may be better to look at a few more DST points from potentially lower-scoring games the Bills, potentially even the Skins or Raiders.

The Redskins play good defense.
They do, but I get the feeling they may not bring it this week. The team has had its heart ripped out two weeks in a row and now has to go on the road, to Oakland no less, and get up for that one? Redskins have nowhere to go but the golf course. Raiders on the other hand, are somewhat rejuvenated and, coming off a huge win, are not the obvious matchup they were. Raiders D should be able to stop Campbell and John Riggins -- that's who's left, right? I mean, I don't see a lot of ball control so I don't think the Skins D will be resting much either. Just not a good recipe, I don't think. I was eying this matchup before; not anymore.

They do, but I get the feeling they may not bring it this week. The team has had its heart ripped out two weeks in a row and now has to go on the road, to Oakland no less, and get up for that one? Redskins have nowhere to go but the golf course. Raiders on the other hand, are somewhat rejuvenated and, coming off a huge win, are not the obvious matchup they were. Raiders D should be able to stop Campbell and John Riggins -- that's who's left, right? I mean, I don't see a lot of ball control so I don't think the Skins D will be resting much either. Just not a good recipe, I don't think. I was eying this matchup before; not anymore.
If by "two weeks in a row" you actually mean "three weeks in a row" then I agree. You could have said the same thing each of the past two weeks and they played well in both of the following weeks. I don't think that is a great argument. I know OAK is not a division rival or the undefeated Saints, but the Skins are playing well on defense right now.

If by "two weeks in a row" you actually mean "three weeks in a row" then I agree. You could have said the same thing each of the past two weeks and they played well in both of the following weeks. I don't think that is a great argument. I know OAK is not a division rival or the undefeated Saints, but the Skins are playing well on defense right now.
You're right, I know it's been 3, should've said so. Of course I "could have said the same things", but those matchups were very different. And their play sure showed it. Dallas and Philly, and then the undefeated Saints at home. Legitimate motivation in all three. This is different. They have nothing to play in this one, besides the fact you can't tell me those losses won't affect them. If you don't think that will matter, fine; I do.How long will they play this hard? Teams have letdown games, we know that. This is theirs, no way will they be as motivated.All I'm pointing out is why I no longer like them here, as there are more compelling options out there for me. I'd even take Oakland's D over them...

what you think? steelers defense w/o polamalu vs cle or ariz defense against san fran? Ive started steelers the last three weeks and the cards have outperformed em every week. plus since the cle vs balt monday night game quinn has been playing pretty good and no def has gotten over seven pts against them. i think cards will be out for blood considering san fran beat em on opening day at their house.
Yeah I still think I would start Pittsburg, especially considering what the weather is sounding like (snow and 30-40mph winds).

You're right, I know it's been 3, should've said so. Of course I "could have said the same things", but those matchups were very different. And their play sure showed it. Dallas and Philly, and then the undefeated Saints at home. Legitimate motivation in all three. This is different. They have nothing to play in this one, besides the fact you can't tell me those losses won't affect them. If you don't think that will matter, fine; I do.How long will they play this hard? Teams have letdown games, we know that. This is theirs, no way will they be as motivated.All I'm pointing out is why I no longer like them here, as there are more compelling options out there for me. I'd even take Oakland's D over them...
Teams have letdown games after wins, not losses

I've got Arizona and it's a decent play for a couple of reasons. It's a Monday night game so that usually brings stand out performances generally speaking. It's a big big divisional game for Arizona and they are playing quite well right now. SF has been playing better on offense but they are not a juggernaut by any stretch. With SF passing more, that opens the door for more sacks, INTs and perhaps even a pick 6.Having said all that. I have Tenessee on the wire right now and I'm really considering them! :hophead:
Thanks to you and others for the thoughts. For full disclosure, I snagged ARI way early in the season to have them for the last two weeks of the playoffs, but for this opening week, I'm not as comfortable with them as perhaps some other options that might be available.While I agree that the elevated stage of MNF can bring out elevated play, and I like riding hot Ds, I just see this game as being much more of an offensive game, with both teams throwing 300+ and rushing 100+.

Yes, this opens up the possibility for more turnovers through the air, but I think both teams hang at least 21 points on the other, making me question balancing the potential for those picks against all of those yards and points that I know are coming.

Will definitely be riding ARI vs DET and STL in weeks to come, but I'm thinking in order to get past the first round, it may be better to look at a few more DST points from potentially lower-scoring games the Bills, potentially even the Skins or Raiders.
Same line of thinking for me. However, my other option (SD) and what is on the wire make me lean towards ARI since they played well last week and will be on MNF.

Teams have letdown games after wins, not losses
Oooh, so prophetic. You mean like the Patriots, right?Nah, Suisham didn't let those guys down at all -- the locker room must've been a great place to be last week. Teams never throw in the towel after having little to play for. That's why you can really count on the teams that are losing late in the year to get really motivated and start winning. :lmao: Look, if you want to play semantics, have fun. All I'm saying is the Redskins will not go into Oakland like they went into Dallas, Philly or their huge effort at home against the undefeated Saints. Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing the thread get back on topic...

Oooh, so prophetic. You mean like the Patriots, right?Nah, Suisham didn't let those guys down at all -- the locker room must've been a great place to be last week. Teams never throw in the towel after having little to play for. That's why you can really count on the teams that are losing late in the year to get really motivated and start winning. :grad: Look, if you want to play semantics, have fun. All I'm saying is the Redskins will not go into Oakland like they went into Dallas, Philly or their huge effort at home against the undefeated Saints. Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing the thread get back on topic...
The Patriots didn't have a letdown. They lost by 1 on the road to a good divisional opponent. That is football.

:bag: PahthyTom :thumbup:

Getting back, what does anybody think of Tampa? Is Clemens really a downgrade?

And Houston, why do I like Houston? Houston and Oakland are the two I'm deciding between...

:lmao: PahthyTom :bag:Getting back, what does anybody think of Tampa? Is Clemens really a downgrade? And Houston, why do I like Houston? Houston and Oakland are the two I'm deciding between...
please pal get off your high horse, the pats were a 3.5 point favorite and lost by 1...not a big dealyou just follow the masses thinking it is I guess :thumbup: of course clemens is a downgrade he has no pocket awareness and has shown nothing in the many chances he's had

:bag: PahthyTom :thumbup:Getting back, what does anybody think of Tampa? Is Clemens really a downgrade? And Houston, why do I like Houston? Houston and Oakland are the two I'm deciding between...
SLB--> :lmao: Been thinking a lot about Tampa, but what have they shown us so far this year? That as bad as their pass D has been -- and it's been a TD seive with 24 PATDs -- they've been even worse against the run, ranking 31st in the league.Even if TB actually generated some pressure on Clemens, this is a game that the Jets are liable to keep on the ground, which is their primary strength right now anyway.It's tempting, but my guess is that other squads are likely going to provide a more reliable option.

:lmao: PahthyTom :lmao:Getting back, what does anybody think of Tampa? Is Clemens really a downgrade? And Houston, why do I like Houston? Houston and Oakland are the two I'm deciding between...
SLB--> :hey: Been thinking a lot about Tampa, but what have they shown us so far this year? That as bad as their pass D has been -- and it's been a TD seive with 24 PATDs -- they've been even worse against the run, ranking 31st in the league.Even if TB actually generated some pressure on Clemens, this is a game that the Jets are liable to keep on the ground, which is their primary strength right now anyway.It's tempting, but my guess is that other squads are likely going to provide a more reliable option.
:bow:As always, nothing but super premium high grade quality posting from Uncle Tom. What about Indy this week?I'm with you on Az, by the way. Thought they'd be fine, but now not so sure...

:thumbup: PahthyTom :confused:Getting back, what does anybody think of Tampa? Is Clemens really a downgrade? And Houston, why do I like Houston? Houston and Oakland are the two I'm deciding between...
SLB--> :hey: Been thinking a lot about Tampa, but what have they shown us so far this year? That as bad as their pass D has been -- and it's been a TD seive with 24 PATDs -- they've been even worse against the run, ranking 31st in the league.Even if TB actually generated some pressure on Clemens, this is a game that the Jets are liable to keep on the ground, which is their primary strength right now anyway.It's tempting, but my guess is that other squads are likely going to provide a more reliable option.
:bow:As always, nothing but super premium high grade quality posting from Uncle Tom. What about Indy this week?I'm with you on Az, by the way. Thought they'd be fine, but now not so sure...
:goodposting:

I have on my roster

Pack @ Chi

NYJ @ TB

and Tenn is available on the WW

GB going against Cutler should be good for some picks.

Who would you guys say will have the better week of the three??

I'd go with Steelers...snow.wind.whatever..the worse the weather, the better the Steelers defense can play..errant throws...hard to run the ball..I would always go with a defense in a game involving inclement weather. the offenses just have a hard time getting things going..so you're looking at fewer rush yards,pass yards, perhaps some slippery-handed fumbles, etc

Okay Tommy, everybody knows now, we get it. Rule #1: There is no such thing as a letdown after a loss.

Thinking of picking up Baltimore or Pitt...or maybe Oakland...
Ok good. Moving onto...Rule #2 Don't depend on Oakland
I'll bet you Oakland outscores Washington this week.
They might. Oakland is wildly inconsistent on both sides of the ball. Washington offense is very inconsistent. The one constant almost all year long has been Washington's defense, which has played virtually the same the entire season.

Nobody took Cleveland, did they?

I'm about to pull the trigger on Houston. Half the reason being next week's matchup at STL, yet considering them this week as well...

Then, I could see myself doing a last-minute add and start of OAKLAND on Sunday morning. They just feel like a Cleveland-esque sneaky play to me this week. And God knows they'll be there...

Nobody took Cleveland, did they? I'm about to pull the trigger on Houston. Half the reason being next week's matchup at STL, yet considering them this week as well...Then, I could see myself doing a last-minute add and start of OAKLAND on Sunday morning. They just feel like a Cleveland-esque sneaky play to me this week. And God knows they'll be there...
TEN vs STL is the matchup this week I'd def. be looking to exploit of they are available. If Green Bay is available, I'd snag them too.If Indy is on the wire, I like their chance against a slumping Denver, but I think teams like BUF, NYJ, WAS, OAK and even HOU have more upside -- they may allow more yards than IND, but I like these other D's chances to be more opportunistic against their opponents to pick up INTs and sacks.Would likely rank all (or most, anyway) of the various Ds mentioned in terms of their potential for just this weekend:TENGBNYJBUFHOUINDWASOAKAZ

Nobody took Cleveland, did they? I'm about to pull the trigger on Houston. Half the reason being next week's matchup at STL, yet considering them this week as well...Then, I could see myself doing a last-minute add and start of OAKLAND on Sunday morning. They just feel like a Cleveland-esque sneaky play to me this week. And God knows they'll be there...
TEN vs STL is the matchup this week I'd def. be looking to exploit of they are available. If Green Bay is available, I'd snag them too.If Indy is on the wire, I like their chance against a slumping Denver, but I think teams like BUF, NYJ, WAS, OAK and even HOU have more upside -- they may allow more yards than IND, but I like these other D's chances to be more opportunistic against their opponents to pick up INTs and sacks.Would likely rank all (or most, anyway) of the various Ds mentioned in terms of their potential for just this weekend:TENGBNYJBUFHOUINDWASOAKAZ
Don't have either Ten or GB."slumping Denver"? They righted the ship against the Giants, then pummeled KC on the road. Regardless, I agree that Indy just doesn't do it for me in this spot. Interestingly, Dodds has Indy at #4 -- way too high, imo_Of the rest of your list, I'd go like this (although tough to really discern):(MIA)HOUBUFOAKARIWASINDLooks like somebody dropped Miami. With all those sacks, I'll probably go with them, just not excited about their next two (at TEN, vs. HOU)...

Users who are viewing this thread